A question about an ancient thing !

Tinke

Feb 1, 1992, 10:38:38 AM2/1/92

TA-DAH ! I bet no-one expected this kind of question/request of help:

I am interested in a certain project and now I'd need some information of a
game "TREASURE OF TARMIN". Yep, you remember it, the AD&D game for the ancient
Mattel Intellivision VGS. I need certain data of it:

- every weapon strength
- every armor strength (difficult to find out)
- every ring strength
- treasure values
- average monster strength in the most difficult
mode (kinda difficult, too)
- magic item effects

Of course I'd find these things out for myself, but the problem is that I
haven't succeeded in finding Mattel & Tarmin from anywhere. Even little
shrapnels of data would be very helpful ... thanks in advance.

--
==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==
|------------> Timo 'Tinke' Laitinen == ti...@lehtori.cc.tut.fi <------------|

Patrick Jason Soo Hoo

Feb 1, 1992, 11:51:15 AM2/1/92

The whole left side of my lynx's sound output just died for some
reason! Has anyone ever had a problem like this? How do I get it
fixed? It's a Lynx II. I just bought it a little over a month ago, and
haven't used it too often since.

The only symptoms I can describe are these:

In Warbirds, sound only comes out of the right side; it came from
both sides last time I remember it.

I Klax, the right side sound effects are normal, while the left side
is approximately dead. I say approximately, because if you block the
right side of the headphones, you can hear a feeble "blip blip" when a
tile comes down the extreme left side of the conveyor belt.

Thanks in advance,

pat

Denis Goddard

Feb 6, 1992, 12:42:40 PM2/6/92
In article <1992Feb1.1...@cc.tut.fi> ti...@cc.tut.fi (Tinke) writes:

> "TREASURE OF TARMIN". Yep, you remember it, the AD&D game for the ancient
>Mattel Intellivision VGS. I need certain data of it:
>
> - every weapon strength
> - every armor strength (difficult to find out)
> - every ring strength
> - treasure values
> - average monster strength in the most difficult
> mode (kinda difficult, too)
> - magic item effects
>
> Even little
>shrapnels of data would be very helpful ... thanks in advance.

WOW!! Yep, that was indeed the best game for Intellivision!!!
Lemme see what I remember from 2 billion hours of play ads a kid...

In general, weapons (physical) and armour are color-coded for strength...
brown (wood) < red (rusty) < green (?) < ? < silver < gold < platinum (!)

weapon types, as i remember them: (again, worst-to-best)
knife < bow < short spear < javelin (long spear) < crossbow

armour: put on anything that you haven't yet encountered, can't bring you down
unless it's a lower-vaued-color of something you already are wearing.

treasure heirarchy:
small bag < big bag < box < chest < coffer
within this heirarchy, the color code is:
brown < red < blue-green
better treasure potential = stronger "booby-trap" potential!

Physical monsters follow a color code similar to that of weapons, i.e., a white(~platinum)
ghost is the Meanest Dude (way harder than the darn Minotaur!!!)
Spiritual monsters have their own code, I think.

There are 3 kinds of magic books: physical power, spirit power, and Special.
use the 'power' books to increase proficiency&points:
color code is brown < purple? <white for physical

Special Books: 3 kinds: Midas-turn an object into Platinum!!!
Transport-move thru a wall
Vsion-see thru walls for a time
Special Books are usable many times.

Potions - invisibility, exchange Spirit & Physical score, others..???

That's about all I recall. Note: if you descend farther than the level of the
Treasure of Tarmin on the Map, there are increasing frequency of Minotaurs--
i.e., everal of then at once on a level!!!

Haver Fun!!! please post some of your experiences. It might be kinda neat
for them like me who remember this game from the formative years....

Tinke

Feb 8, 1992, 9:25:38 AM2/8/92

In article <1992Feb6.1...@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> god...@cat18.cs.wisc.edu (Denis Goddard) writes:

WOW!! Yep, that was indeed the best game for Intellivision!!!
Lemme see what I remember from 2 billion hours of play ads a kid...

Hmm, me & one of my friend played it over'n'out, too :) Dare I say, the
best game during that early VGS era.

In general, weapons (physical) and armour are color-coded for strength...
brown (wood) < red (rusty) < green (?) < ? < silver < gold < platinum (!)

Would that have been: tan(wood), orange(rusty), blue(steel), gray(silver),
yellow(gold) and white(platinum) ...

weapon types, as i remember them: (again, worst-to-best)
knife < bow < short spear < javelin (long spear) < crossbow

Knife < Bow < Axe < Short Spear < Javelin < Crossbow ? (White Crossbow = 99/0)
Spiritual weapons: Sm Fireball < Sm Lightning < Lg Fireball < Lg Lightning <
Scroll(reusable) < Book(reusable) ? (Purple Book = 0/65)
Colors: Blue < Gray < White < Pink < Red < Purple ?

armour: put on anything that you haven't yet encountered, can't bring you
down unless it's a lower-vaued-color of something you already are wearing.

All kinds of breastplates, gauntlets, hauberks etc. Too hard to recall ... :(

treasure heirarchy:
small bag < big bag < box < chest < coffer
within this heirarchy, the color code is:
brown < red < blue-green
better treasure potential = stronger "booby-trap" potential!

Physical monsters follow a color code similar to that of weapons, i.e., a

white ghost is the Meanest Dude (way harder than the darn Minotaur!!!)

Spiritual monsters have their own code, I think.

I remember encountering once (somewhere down in the 250th level or so) an
orange wraith (tall ghost) that had a way over 300 spiritual points ...

There are 3 kinds of magic books: physical power, spirit power, and Special

use the 'power' books to increase proficiency&points:
color code is brown < purple? <white for physical

I remember that the purple Special Book was the Book of Midas (turned every-
thing to PLATINUM (not gold)) ...

Special Books: 3 kinds: Midas-turn an object into Platinum!!!
Transport-move thru a wall
Vsion-see thru walls for a time
Special Books are usable many times.

Potions - invisibility, exchange Spirit & Physical score, others..???

That's about all I recall. Note: if you descend farther than the level of the
Treasure of Tarmin on the Map, there are increasing frequency of Minotaurs--
i.e., everal of then at once on a level!!!

I played it thru a couple of times (i.e. go to level 255 and descend lower ->
back in the LEVEL 1 with ultrahigh-quality equipments against 4-point skeletons
etc.) :) Though, very boring from level 100 onwards - nothing could kill ya.
Indeed, after level 50 there were always several Minotaurs in every level -
a mouthful for the player with stats around 199/99 and lotsa heavy armour.
Orange wraiths were the only real threat. I invented an excellent strength-
gaining method - it just deserved some food and a lousy monster (like skeleton)
and a empty bow ... :) The neatest thing I've ever had was war/spiritual STR
around 80/40 in level 3 (on the hardest skill level) ... :)

Haver Fun!!! please post some of your experiences. It might be kinda neat
for them like me who remember this game from the formative years....

Yeah, other Tarmin friends, too :) Could be kinda fun to hear of you ...

Denis Goddard

Feb 11, 1992, 3:55:13 PM2/11/92
In article <TINKE.92F...@lehtori.cc.tut.fi> ti...@cc.tut.fi (Tinke) writes:

[in ref to Intellivision Treasure of Tarmin ]

> I invented an excellent strength-
>gaining method - it just deserved some food and a lousy monster (like skeleton)
>and a empty bow ... :)

> |------------> Timo 'Tinke' Laitinen == ti...@lehtori.cc.tut.fi <------------|
> | "For a price I'd do about anything except pull the trigger, |
> | for that I'd need a pretty good cause." (Queensryche 1988) |

Hey, I remember that strengh-gaining technique. For those that want to
know, here's what you do:
get a bow.
run out of arrows (i.e, don't pick up new quivers)
have either a couple of strong weapons to kill the monster,
OR a treasure (i.e., bag or box) to placate monster
and plenty of food.

find some killable or placatable monster & attack with your EMPTY bow.
keep healing self till nearly unable to do so.
kill monster.

The game assumes that since it took so many 'attacks', the monster was way
tough & you get tons of power as a result.

Ahhh, memories...

DG

Denis Goddard

Feb 11, 1992, 3:55:59 PM2/11/92

Nathan Stehle
nst...@stolaf.edu

Subject: PS, SEGA fantasy games...

PSI was good, in fact awesome for an 8-bit. I thougt the 3-D dungeons were
the best feature. PSII didn't have them and the graphics are, of course, better but there are no backgrounds when fighting. PSIII does have better backgroundsand more detailed graphics, but not the same enthralling storyline of PSII. I
liked the generations feature though, and I've seen all the endings since my
brother has beaten it, along with some friends. The route of Maia then Thea
is good, as well as Lena then Alair. Those two seem to have better endings.
The twists are nice as well as the need for attack strategy.

Sword of Vermillion is pretty good, but it's quasi-Zelda. It's not quite as
difficult as Zelda though. In SoV, when you level up, you get your hp's and
mp's restored to those new levels. I liked the storyline and dialogue.

The only other RPG I've played is Miracle Warriors, which doesn't even compare
to PS. I got it free, and that's all it's worth.

That's all the RPG's I've played, except for Dragon Crystal on GG, and do you
know of any others? Most of the other ones aren't as good I've heard.

Nathan