Anyone played Final Zone for Genesis?

Michael R Ditz

Nov 14, 1990, 7:24:00 PM11/14/90

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has played Final Zone for the Genesis.
I have seen pictures and it looks good. I think someone said it just
can out. If anyone could post, or send me, a rating or review, I would
be very grateful. This would help me decide to buy it or not.

Thanx in advance!!!

Mike (di...@en.ecn.purdue.edu)

Lee F. Frank II

Nov 15, 1990, 10:57:30 AM11/15/90

Being a HUGE japanese animation fan (especially BG Crisus and Robotech)
I just HAD to get this game. I found it at Electronic Boutique.

The Story
100 years in the future wars are fought with NAP's New Age Power suits
(Mechs). You play the part of Howie Bowie part of Wolf Team, Undead Squad.
The mission is to use NAP K-19 Phantom to occupy and destroy Point
A-46K Bloody Axis.

The really great thing about this game is the fact that it takes stragety,
and "wet-dream firepower" (as a friend of mine put it) to play.

The NAP can be equipted with 14 different weapons at once out of 20 with
each weapon acting as a shield; in other words you have to keep your
weapons in order of preference to avoid losing the more powerfull weapons
because they will get blown off in battle. This give a basic Hit Point
structure to the game. You can either use the weapons in a hand held mode
which gives you unlimited firepower of that weapon, but limited destructive
power of each shot or use them in the optional back mode with a limited
ammount of ammo and a lot of dammage to what they hit.

Control
This is tricky, it takes some getting used to, but is really well thought out
after all. Normal movement is normal 3-D scrolling, similar to the arcade
version of MJ Moonwalker. If you hold the fire button for rapid fire your
mech will stay in that facing, but can still move in all directions, this
is EXTREMELY useful for strafing type manuvers. If you push the D-button
twice in one direction quicky the mech will go into super speed mode, it
is hard to control in this mode and you should fire what ever you have
forward so you don't crash into a tank or something. As for what weapons are
available, there are too many to list in what is already a long review,
needless to say there is Normal automatic weaponry, lasers, napalm, wires
(worthless), Mines, and Missles (personal fave is the Missle Cannon or Hunter.)

Stages
1 Street Fighting - blow through a intact city fighting tanks and helicopters
and avoiding the occasional air raid. End boss "Bull" fighting
in against a subway or train of barracks.
2 Desert and Ruins - battleing through ruins and under platforms against more
tanks and copters Hard to control in the desert. End boss Black Knights
either use gernades as an option which keeps them away, or Ray as am option
which kills em quick.
3 Valley - River flows, but you can walk right over it, nice scenery bad
programming. End Boss Twin Eagles, these guys are TOUGH! Use Rays as option.
4 Cave - Nice effect in darkness except for circle around your NAP.
5 Entrance of Axis - Another nice effect ride mobile platform up to the
Axis hq. You can't fall off, but the limited manuverbillity is a pain.
6 Inside Axis - Nice looking high tech battlefield, they have homing missles
if you aren't really quick you're toast.
7 Battling - man to man against the head enemy officers. (Haven't made it
this far.)

Overall the easy version is too easy, but higher levels provide more than
enough challange. Be wary if you just want a shooter, this ain't it. This
game takes strategy, and paitence (you only get one life and 5 continues.)

Out of 10
Graphics 6 really about average, but love that title screen.
Sound 8 the scores to this game are long and well done (nize death music)
Playabil 9 you have a lot of control once you get used to it
Strategy 9 You need a lot of this to win (I NEED MORE.)
Overall 8 I LOVE this game, but then again I have been waiting for a game
like this eversince I started watchig Robotech way back when.

~r .signature