Sega CD...Great News!

Bobby Martin

Feb 19, 1993, 9:19:09 AM2/19/93

Well, to everyone like me who has been waiting for news on the Sega CD
and for all those who have been bashing it lately, the new magazines are full
of incredible looking games to come out in the next few months...

Silpheed VR:
Remember that crappy PC game? Well, it has been completely redone
(it looks not even slightly similar in play or graphics to the original) for
the Sega CD. In fact, I can't really figure out why they even called it
Silpheed. Anyways, it is a shooter that presents 3d scaled polygons flying
over live action video. This game takes the Sega scaling and rotation
hardware to the max, and boasts the highest frame rate ever in a digitized
game (20 frames per second). Die Hard Game fan and even pro Nintendo EGM
could do nothing but sing praises of this game. In fact, EGM's cover story
was Starfox and in that very same isssue here is a QUOTE from the article
about Silpheed VR: "It is so good that Nintendo's StarFox looks like a
crude 8-Bit NES cart when compared to Silpheed." In addition to the
incredible graphics and scaling, all the music and sound effects are
recorded in stereo surround sound. This is going to be the game to look for!
The screen shots look intense!

CD Sonic:
The CD version of Sonic...not a remake of Sonic 1 or 2, but a totally
new Sonic adventure. Boasts new CD music, all new levels, and cinemas...looks
good!

Final Fight:
This one looks incredible! Features all three of the original players
incredible graphics and CD sound. And, of course, two player simultaneous.

BatMan Returns:
Wow! This one looks really cool. In addition to the Genesis
cartridge game, it boasts stereo sound, and a driving sim that uses the
scaling/rotation. This part of the game looks really cool...you can drive
the Batmobile and Batski.

Joe Montana FootBall:
A complete remake of the cartridge based game. This one makes
extensive use of the scaling/rotation to provide a constantly changing,
relistic view of the field. Of course, includes video commentaries by Joe
and other stuff (video cheerleaders, etc).

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!:

Not much info available at this time on MK. Some screen shots of
the characters with no backgrounds. Super Nintendo and Genesis characters
look IDENTICAL to the arcade. Mortal Kombat for Sega CD will most likely
retain ALL GORE AND FATALITIES!!!

Jaguar XJ220:
This looks to be the next generation in racing games. According to
reviews it scales objects seamlessly thanks to Sega CD hardware. The most
impressive feature of the games is the built in course editor...you can
design your own tracks! Hopefully you'll be able to save them into the
Sega CD memory banks. Also included is a two player split screen mode and
nine different CD tunes to choose from.

Those were the best of the games that I saw. The rest either had no pics
or were simply not reviewed. Other games included: Gallaghers Gallery
(full motion shoot em up with comedian Gallagher), Who Shot Johnny Rock?
and Mad Dog McCree (Two more full motion shoot em ups), Space Pirates (more
of the same), Monkey Island (quest), Dark Wizard (Interesting looking RPG),
Ecco the Dolphin (no description necessary), Afterburner III (flying, shooting),Indiana Jones (Adventure), INXS Make You Own Video, Dracula (adventure), Hook
(adventure), Terminator (adventure), Virtual VCR: Prince (Movie on a CD),
Make Your Own Video: C + C Music Factory, Alien 3, WWF, Brutal, Humans,
Citizen X, Spiderman, EPSN Baseball and Football, PowerDrift, Stellar 7, and
Microcosm...I can't wait.
--
Bobby Martin ---> Coming at you from GA Tech...

And as the famous saying goes, "It's all just poop..."

Larry J Brackney

Feb 19, 1993, 2:28:19 PM2/19/93
gt4...@prism.gatech.EDU (Bobby Martin) writes:
>Silpheed VR:
...stuff deleted...

>hardware to the max, and boasts the highest frame rate ever in a digitized
>game (20 frames per second). Die Hard Game fan and even pro Nintendo EGM
>could do nothing but sing praises of this game. In fact, EGM's cover story
>was Starfox and in that very same isssue here is a QUOTE from the article
>about Silpheed VR: "It is so good that Nintendo's StarFox looks like a
>crude 8-Bit NES cart when compared to Silpheed." In addition to the
>incredible graphics and scaling, all the music and sound effects are
>recorded in stereo surround sound. This is going to be the game to look for!
>The screen shots look intense!

I just gotta comment on this, because EGM's coverage really rubbed me
the wrong way. If you read the editor's column carefully, you'll note
that Silpheed was video only - unplayable. Tell me how you can honestly
say a game you've not been able to play is the best thing since sliced
bread? This is typical of EGM. Title screens, and video do NOT a fun
game make.

I'm not saying that Silpheed will be a bad game, I'm just venting
at EGM and similar sources. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to
Starfox w/ all it's crummy, inferior graphics. From the sound of it,
it seems like it will be quite playable, and similar to Star Glider.
(An old Amiga fave of mine.)

- larry

--
/ Larry J. Brackney | E-Mail: brac...@mn.ecn.purdue.edu \
|-------------------------| S-Mail: 3116 Hilltop Dr. W. Lafayette IN 47906 |

Hasit Mehta

Feb 19, 1993, 3:26:10 PM2/19/93

It is great to hear that a lot of cool games are in production but WHEN will
they be released? Did the rag that you got the info from have any estimated
dates of release? If so when are they coming out?

--
Hasit S. Mehta ****************************
University of Rochester * PRIMUS SUCKS! *

U59...@uicvm.uic.edu

Feb 20, 1993, 1:39:37 AM2/20/93
You know. At the Winter CES, there didn't seem to be a lot of Sega CD games tha
t are actually near shipping as there were demos and screen shots. I saw the Ja
guar XJ220 game you mentioned. Couldn't play it of course. The only new game I
could play on Sega CD was Batman Returns and, while it was fun, it wasn't overl
y impressive. They did have constant CD quality music being played as you playe
d the game. BUT, and to me this is a big BUT, the music was totally inappropria
te for the game! Instead of licensing Danny Elfman's awesome Batman soundtrack,
the programmers came up with some lame upbeat pseudo-synthesizer rock soundtra
ck. It totally ruins the Batman motif. That being a dark and moody, etc.

Sonic CD-Didn't see it. More create you own music video-didn't see any. The onl
y game I saw that was really fun and very close to shipping was StarFox.

I just have to say that this was the best game I saw and played at WCES. The ga
me look totally finished. Nintendo had multiple copies playing on multiple mach
ines. The cartridges had labels and everything. The game was much more fun than
Batman-CD.

I must warn readers though. Graphically, this game may not strike some as being
totally awesome and state-of-the-art. However, the game play just blows other
games away. Also, this game is a demostration of the new SFX chip and Nintendo
is probably still working out all the programming tricks. I'm not saying that t
he graphics will be bad or anything. The graphics consists mostly of polygons a
nd as such are rather blocky. However, the physics are real. Well, at least the
physics feel real. And it's really neat seeing your partners flying around you
. Finally, it kicks butt as a flight simulator. The level of control is incredi
ble. You plane feels so responsive. You will actually find yourself leaning in
your seat when you turn and ducking when you fly under something.

It was better than ANYTHING Sega had at the show.

Thomas

Teh Kao Yang

Feb 20, 1993, 4:38:41 AM2/20/93
In article <1993Feb19....@galileo.cc.rochester.edu> hm0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Hasit Mehta) writes:

>It is great to hear that a lot of cool games are in production but WHEN will
>they be released? Did the rag that you got the info from have any estimated
>dates of release? If so when are they coming out?

Sigh..this seems to be the eternal question of Sega-CD owners. Anyway I just
got a "Sega Soft Newz" brochure in the mail from Sega and it has the
following release schedule of Sega-CD games:

January/February

Adventures of Willy Beamish
C&C Music Factory Make my Video (whoopee)
INXS Make my Video
Jaguar XJ220
March of Time (what is this?)
Prince and the New Generation
Road Avenger (which is out BTW)
Terminator
Secret of Monkey Island

March/April

Afterburner 3
Batman Returns
Dracula
Dungeon Master
Final Fight
Joe Montana NFL Football
Rise of the Dragon
Talespin (hope it's better than the cart)

May/June

Annet (sequel to El Viento)
Arcus 123 (YES! Wolfteam's great anime-style RPG!)
Citizen X
Dark Wizard
Ecco the Dolphin
Heimdall
Indiana Jones
Out of this World
Kings Quest V
Metal Fang
Mixed up Mother Goose
Night Striker
Shadow of the Beast
Sherlock Holmes 2
Sonic the Hedgehog CD (delayed again?)
Space Quest 4
Spiderman
Stellar 7
Super Star Wars
The Third World War
Thunder Hawk
Wing Commander
Wolfchild (huh? misprint?)

SO no sign of Silpheed or Mortal Kombat. So I guess we can realistically
expect those to not come out until July or later. Grumble grumble.... Anyway
Arcus 123 from Wolfteam was a big surprise. It's supposed to be 3 RPGs in
one...like Ultima 1-2-3. I guess this will be the first Sega-CD game to
feature anime-style art and characters. Alright! way to go Renovation!

-Teh Kao

Sergei Shimkevich

Feb 20, 1993, 2:30:05 PM2/20/93
In article <1m4u71...@aludra.usc.edu> teh...@aludra.usc.edu (Teh Kao Yang) writes:

>March of Time (what is this?)

Time Gal?

>Annet (sequel to El Viento)
>Arcus 123 (YES! Wolfteam's great anime-style RPG!)

Yahooo!!!!!

Looks like I'll have to buy the Feka CD after all :-)

-Sergei Shimkevich
(posting from his backup account)

Teh Kao Yang

Feb 21, 1993, 4:26:53 AM2/21/93
In article <93051.003...@uicvm.uic.edu> <U59...@uicvm.uic.edu> writes:

<... various Sega-CD games bashing deleted...>

>The only game I saw that was really fun and veryclose to shipping was StarFox.

>I just have to say that this was the best game I saw and played at WCES.

>It was better than ANYTHING Sega had at the show.

Hmm... how about Cool Spot or Flashback? Or did you even bother to check out
the Genesis cart games?

Seems like alot of people (EGM included) have this attitude that Genesis carts
are no longer worthy of being compared against SNES carts, and that Sega's only
way to counter good SNES games is with the Sega-CD games. From reading the
latest EGM editorial, you get the feeling that Sega is doomed because the Sega
CD games don't seem to be ready for release. So I guess no one is going to
buy all those new Genesis carts? And besides from Starfox, the SNES game lineup
doesn't look all that hot either.

Somehow I have a feeling that as good as Starfox is being hyped it will be
just like Starglider 2 on my Atari ST....yawn

-Teh Kao

David R McClintock

Feb 22, 1993, 4:57:19 PM2/22/93

Well I have both systems and I have to say that my Genesis has by far funner games to
play. Graphics are great and I am all for them, but I haven't really found any games
on the SNES that could hold my attention (besides Super MArio World and NCAA B-ball).

Dave