MKRE.....first impressions

Darrius Joiner

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
I'm posting this to for other MKRE fans out there who were skeptical
if the US version is worth their time and money. Well I have to say I
bought this game expecting to absolutely hate it. I just couldn't let
the last US Saturn release just sit on a retail store shelf. I have
played the import over half a dozen times and watch the entire TV series
completely 3 times, and I just thought there would be no way in hell an
American company could tranlate this title and leave the 'feeling' of
the original intact. Even though it pains me to say this, Working
designs seems to have pulled it off. I'm only three hours into it, but
for some reason I want to go through this title yet another time. The
speech is good, (except Fuu seems kinda out of it, and yes I'm
nitpicking). The spoken diaries are funny, and all this talk about the
in game speech being gone, well it's only for those spoken interactions
which you couldn't by-pass in the original. What is everyone complaining
about?! It the engine seems tweaked a lot. It appears as if some of the
side-by-side later to compare).
More importantly the manual comes with 'goodies'. Anime fans will
love the stickers in the back of the manual, they even included 2 RAM
cart stickers. Fan service at it's best. I have to give Working Designs
praise though. We can complain how long the game took to be released,
and how Vic is the 'anti-Christ'. But they damn good job on translating
this title. I haven't encoutered any of the tired 'potty' humor (but
then again I'm just trying to blaze through the game to see how fast I
can beat the US version). And also, I'm not sure but I think this game
recognizes your import save data. I had an old memory cart inside my
Saturn and when I went to save there was already a file there (from
where I had started the game before and stopped right in front of
Precia's mansion). This is something I will also verify. I knew I should
have kept those older files. And we even have more save files slots. The
voices selections seems to work well (except for Fuu, but again I'm
nitpicking). Any Rayearth fan should definately run out and grab this
title. Thanks WD..............

mp

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
> The speech is good, (except Fuu seems kinda out of it,

> voices selections seems to work well (except for Fuu, but again I'm

> nitpicking). Any Rayearth fan should definately run out and grab this
> title. Thanks WD..............

Boom, boom. There, Daniel. See? I'm not crazy... Anyone else with a
copy wanna back up Darrius and my opinion of her voice?

I d/l'd the preview WD had on their website and I just couldn't tolerate
Fuu's acting. I guess since the US Rayearth is out, expect a
otaku-wannabe review in January(when I get to borrow it from a friend).

-mp

What's in my VCR: nothing at the moment..
What's in my Sat..er Gameboy: Pokemon!
What's in my stereo: CoCo: Singles, Tange Sakura: New Frontier, Two-Mix
Who's in my heart: Kouda Mariko

Anoop: The Okarina of Time

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
Darrius Joiner wrote:

> voices selections seems to work well (except for Fuu, but again I'm
> nitpicking). Any Rayearth fan should definately run out and grab this
> title. Thanks WD..............

I just got the game from EB for the low low low low price of $49.99.

It's a wonderful game, with some of the most refreshing graphics I've seen
in a while. One of my most favorite features is how the character portraits
animate as the characters speak (this was probably my most favorite feature
of Grandia, as well, although Grandia took it to the extreme).

I agree with the above poster's opinions on the voices. I was expecting
something bad, after reading the review in EGM, and although I questioned
Hikaru's voice initially, I've come to like all of them (even Fuu). I do
think the girls sound a little bit too old, though.

The fact that animated cut scenes are used for major story sequences remind
me of Cosmic Fantasy II, along with the few imported PC Engine Duo games I
played. If anyone is interested, other games on the Saturn which display
animted cut scenes throughout the game are Lunar TSSS, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue,
and Tengai Makyo (the latter featuring probably the best video quality ever
seen on the Saturn - it's as good as anything on the PS).

Hmm . . . given the fact that this game will probably sell to fewer than
10,000 people, I believe each of the different disks will see production of
less than 3000 copies. How's that for a collectors item, eh? Thankfully,
the manual is also gloriously colored and includes an adorable sticker page
- it makes the product all the more valuable, don't you think?

Anyhow, can anyone explain to me why the game is lacking the all-important
"offical SEGA seal of quality" which has graced all Saturn games, good and
bad, since the beginning of time?

- Anoop G.

You must go to my web page and read my updates, otherwise
I will cease to exist: http://home.earthlink.net/~andriasang

mp

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
> I just got the game from EB for the low low low low price of $49.99.

yeah, was wondering about that when I saw it in their winter catalog for
that price.

> It's a wonderful game, with some of the most refreshing graphics I've seen
> in a while. One of my most favorite features is how the character portraits
> animate as the characters speak (this was probably my most favorite feature
> of Grandia, as well, although Grandia took it to the extreme).

actually, i'm not sure what you mean. In Grandia, the portraits
are still pics that kinda changed depending on tone of voice and stuff.
In Rayearth, their mouths actually move and stuff. But the best use of
this IMO is in the Sakura Taisen series. Not only do the ST characters'
lips move in synch with the things they're saying(not just open/close
movement, mind you, but really looks like enunciation), but even when the
characters don't speak(text only) the lips still match the message speed
and enunciation.

> Hikaru's voice initially, I've come to like all of them (even Fuu). I do

*gasp*

"It appears we've fallen out of our world, and into another!"

yurusanai.. Yurusanai... YURUSANAI!!!

> Anyhow, can anyone explain to me why the game is lacking the all-important
> "offical SEGA seal of quality" which has graced all Saturn games, good and
> bad, since the beginning of time?

Ouch! I can't believe they did that to your game, Vic.

Victor Ireland

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
In article <36735D9F...@uclink4.berkeley.edu>, Anoop: The Okarina of Time
<alli...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> says...

> Anyhow, can anyone explain to me why the game is lacking the all-important
> "offical SEGA seal of quality" which has graced all Saturn games, good and
> bad, since the beginning of time?
>
> - Anoop G.

SEGA made us take this off since they "redesigned" the line look. This
was weird, since NO other third-party publishers were releasing titles
this year, but we said..."whatever" and complied. It was actually
one of the packaging delays! (this reason).

--
Don't Believe the Hype -
Vic

Quinn Seed

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
I was a bit surprised based on the earlier reviews I read concerning the
voices. The girls have beat and well done voices (excpet for Fuu, just
irritating), but they all have a 'pep' to them...they're better than I thought.
I also like the voice of Zagat. Not bad.

~Quinn Fox
~Creator, ''the Players'' fansite
~http://members.aol.com/quinnseed/theplayers.html

Daniel0777

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
>> The speech is good, (except Fuu seems kinda out of it,
>
>> voices selections seems to work well (except for Fuu, but again I'm
>> nitpicking). Any Rayearth fan should definately run out and grab this
>> title. Thanks WD..............
>
>Boom, boom. There, Daniel. See? I'm not crazy... Anyone else with a
>copy wanna back up Darrius and my opinion of her voice?

Yeah, so her voice is *slightly* worse than everyone elses (he said he was just
nitpicking); and besides, I said earlier that her voice was "fine" I didn't say
it was great. You've gotta admit, Fuu's about 100 times better than Synbios in
SF3; I just about died after hearing him say "Rise Phoenix!" ANYONE, and I
mean anyone, could do a better job than that... Still... I'm glad Sega did
translate it anyway, since a lot of characters (like Dantares for one) had good
voices (although I do have to admit, it would have been better if Synbios had
stayed Japanese! That voice actor was just plain horrible!)

"May the light shine upon thee!"

Check out my Dragon Warrior 2 and 3 FAQs at:
www.gamefaqs.com

REOVE "NOJUNK" FROM MY E-MAIL TO E-MAIL ME! Plese don't send me E-mail to get
me to buy anything, I'm NOT interested!

Darrius Joiner

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98

Daniel0777 wrote:

> >> The speech is good, (except Fuu seems kinda out of it,
> >
> >> voices selections seems to work well (except for Fuu, but again I'm
> >> nitpicking). Any Rayearth fan should definately run out and grab this
> >> title. Thanks WD..............
> >
> >Boom, boom. There, Daniel. See? I'm not crazy... Anyone else with a
> >copy wanna back up Darrius and my opinion of her voice?
>
> Yeah, so her voice is *slightly* worse than everyone elses (he said he was just
> nitpicking); and besides, I said earlier that her voice was "fine" I didn't say
> it was great. You've gotta admit, Fuu's about 100 times better than Synbios in
> SF3; I just about died after hearing him say "Rise Phoenix!" ANYONE, and I
> mean anyone, could do a better job than that... Still... I'm glad Sega did
> translate it anyway, since a lot of characters (like Dantares for one) had good
> voices (although I do have to admit, it would have been better if Synbios had
> stayed Japanese! That voice actor was just plain horrible!)

ROTFL!! When you think of it that way, Fuu is just fine. If you want a good laugh
get the SF3 Windows theme from Seganet's media page. It has the US voices for your
windows sfx. Everytime I hear Synbios say, "TAH" I roll on the floor laughing. Like
I said I was nitpicking Fuu. In the anime series she came across more as a gentle
soul than as some 'nerd'. But the game is superfluous. I can't say anything bad
about it. It's better than I was expecting.

Darrius Joiner

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
Hey, the save files are compatible for both games!! Yippee!! So if you really
want to 'critique' the game play through a scene in English, then pop in your
import and replay the scene in Japanese. So if you really want to hear those
spoken dialogues for the various NPCs be my guest.

Anoop: The Okarina of Time wrote:

> I just got the game from EB for the low low low low price of $49.99.
>

> It's a wonderful game, with some of the most refreshing graphics I've seen
> in a while. One of my most favorite features is how the character portraits
> animate as the characters speak (this was probably my most favorite feature
> of Grandia, as well, although Grandia took it to the extreme).
>

> I agree with the above poster's opinions on the voices. I was expecting
> something bad, after reading the review in EGM, and although I questioned

> Hikaru's voice initially, I've come to like all of them (even Fuu). I do

> think the girls sound a little bit too old, though.
>
> The fact that animated cut scenes are used for major story sequences remind
> me of Cosmic Fantasy II, along with the few imported PC Engine Duo games I
> played. If anyone is interested, other games on the Saturn which display
> animted cut scenes throughout the game are Lunar TSSS, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue,
> and Tengai Makyo (the latter featuring probably the best video quality ever
> seen on the Saturn - it's as good as anything on the PS).
>
> Hmm . . . given the fact that this game will probably sell to fewer than
> 10,000 people, I believe each of the different disks will see production of
> less than 3000 copies. How's that for a collectors item, eh? Thankfully,
> the manual is also gloriously colored and includes an adorable sticker page
> - it makes the product all the more valuable, don't you think?

Doug Kern

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
In article <19981213121047...@ng121.aol.com>,
danie...@aol.comNOJUNK (Daniel0777) wrote:

> >> The speech is good, (except Fuu seems kinda out of it,
> >
> >> voices selections seems to work well (except for Fuu, but again I'm
> >> nitpicking). Any Rayearth fan should definately run out and grab this
> >> title. Thanks WD..............
> >
> >Boom, boom. There, Daniel. See? I'm not crazy... Anyone else with a
> >copy wanna back up Darrius and my opinion of her voice?
>
> Yeah, so her voice is *slightly* worse than everyone elses (he said he
was just
> nitpicking); and besides, I said earlier that her voice was "fine" I
didn't say
> it was great. You've gotta admit, Fuu's about 100 times better than
Synbios in
> SF3; I just about died after hearing him say "Rise Phoenix!" ANYONE, and I
> mean anyone, could do a better job than that... Still... I'm glad Sega did
> translate it anyway, since a lot of characters (like Dantares for one)
had good
> voices (although I do have to admit, it would have been better if Synbios had
> stayed Japanese! That voice actor was just plain horrible!)

Now that I have played Shining Force 3 part 3 I have managed to hear
the Japanese voices. I found in many cases the Japanese versions were not
really an improvement. Spiriel and Synbios were nothing special, and I
think Danteres and Ratchet are better in the US Version. Frank still
sounds stupid, even with a Japanese voice. However, Noon does sound much
better in the Japense voice. I no longer have to worry about laughing
everytime he attacks someone! Same goes for Basandra.

--
Doug Kern
AKA Monocle

Aerith Gainsborough

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
I would have to say I am very impressed. Also love the different designs
on the CDs. ALSO would love to say that I would be willing to trade
SOMETHING for copies with Fuu and Umi on them, if it is absolutely known
that Fuu and Umi are on them, but I don't know what. Maybe unopened
copies of the games? (or opened, checked to make sure they don't have
said characters on them, but untouched otherwise?) That seems pretty
silly to me, and I don't have extra copies... but I am almost sure I can
get them. Will repost later if I can... OR MAYBE someone from WD could
email me or post and see if I can order them with specific artwork...

~_~

I love the opening song, its not Yuzurenai Negai, but if it was I
wouldn't like it. Its a completely different song with the same
"message" that fits the tune...which would be very hard for a
"translated" Yuzu to do.
The play is a little choppy, but everything else...wow. I only have a
few, minor quibbles with the translation...(Actually, I sat at the
screen...stared, and started yelling with my Kanji Dictionary on my
lap..."FLASH? Where the h-e-double-hockey-sticks did you get FLASH from?
VIC!!!!! HIKARI! HIKARI! LIGHT/To shine, not FLASH!
Arrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!?" But I think that was it. ^_^ Okay so maybe we
otaku are pretty picky...) Oh, and the animaion...oh wow...and the voice
actors are waaaaay better than most I have heard, though I was
dissapointed, considering The Singer of the new song seems to have a
close voice to the original, and I kinda had hoped for the same
throughout the CD...but its enough to have the darn game after this
wait!

Can I say thank you enough for releasing this game? Never. How about I
buy two more copies of it, will that be enough? (Without saying that I
already bought two, one for me and one to export to a
friend....finally!)

THANK YOU FOR RAYEARTH! There is a Video Game God, and I have faith once
more.

RAYEARTH RAYEARTH RAYEARTH RAYEARTH RAYEARTH RAYEARTH RAYEARTH RAYEARTH
RAYEARTH RAYEARTH RAYEARTH RAYEARTH!

Um, this is cutting into my playing time...

~Shigatsu

Victor Ireland

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
In article <9376-367...@newsd-133.iap.bryant.webtv.net>, Aer...@webtv.net says...

> (Actually, I sat at the
> screen...stared, and started yelling with my Kanji Dictionary on my
> lap..."FLASH? Where the h-e-double-hockey-sticks did you get FLASH from?
> VIC!!!!! HIKARI! HIKARI! LIGHT/To shine, not FLASH!
> Arrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!?" But I think that was it. ^_^ Okay so maybe we
> otaku are pretty picky...)

We knew we would catch a *little* heat for this, but Hikaru with a
dog named Hikari was simply TOO Japanese. "Flash" sounded like
a dog's name, and worked back to light by association i.e.
"Flashbulb" "Flashlight" "Flash" of light, etc, etc.

If you listen closely, you can still hear "Hikari" in the
opening... :)

S.Knight

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
In article <19981213121047...@ng121.aol.com>,
danie...@aol.comNOJUNK (Daniel0777) wrote:

> Yeah, so her voice is *slightly* worse than everyone elses (he said he was just
> nitpicking); and besides, I said earlier that her voice was "fine" I didn't say
> it was great. You've gotta admit, Fuu's about 100 times better than Synbios in
> SF3; I just about died after hearing him say "Rise Phoenix!" ANYONE, and I
> mean anyone, could do a better job than that... Still... I'm glad Sega did
> translate it anyway, since a lot of characters (like Dantares for one) had good
> voices (although I do have to admit, it would have been better if Synbios had
> stayed Japanese! That voice actor was just plain horrible!)

Who cares how the voices sound in SF3? They're only in the battle
scenes anyway and they're only one liners. You're not really supposed
to take them that seriously anyways.

Aerith Gainsborough

Dec 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/14/98
The Vic like thing may have once said:

:We knew we would catch a *little* heat for this, but Hikaru with a dog

named Hikari was simply TOO Japanese. "Flash" sounded like a dog's name,
and worked back to light by association i.e. "Flashbulb" "Flashlight"
"Flash" of light, etc, etc.

If you listen closely, you can still hear "Hikari" in the opening... :):

I am sitting here laughing my butt (hey, got to keep it clean, this is a
newsgroup, right? Ha Ha.) off because of that. Catch HEAT? Very funny,
all things considered. I actually think my favorite part of the game so
far is...

Wait, let me give you a clue, then I will tell. I ran around work last
night saying "Hono no YA!", "Mizu no Ryu!", and "Midori no Shippu!"

Yes, I got a few strange looks from my co-workers, but I don't care. I
love the little bit of Japanese left in the game. It's precious...and I
think I can live with "Flash" as long as we all know what his name
really is...^_~

~Shigatsu, who is terribly sorry that that last message posted twice all
by itself, and hopes this one does not follow suit.

Michael Mr. Groovy Toole

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
In article <14117-36...@newsd-131.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

Aer...@webtv.net (Aerith Gainsborough) wrote:
> Wait, let me give you a clue, then I will tell. I ran around work last
> night saying "Hono no YA!", "Mizu no Ryu!", and "Midori no Shippu!"

You too, huh? I was surprised that those little bits were left in. ^^

> and I
> think I can live with "Flash" as long as we all know what his name
> really is...^_~

Hm. Well, how would you have translated the dog's name into an English
word for a dog's name that didn't sound completely ridiculous? You
could've called him, what, Shiner? Shiny?

Personally, I think they should've called the dog Flashlight. Best of
both worlds.
--
michael "mr. groovy" toole ------> chie...@animejump.com
Anime Jump WWW magazine. Go here: www.animejump.com

Yasu

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
Well, got my copy of MKRE and got as far as the 1st town and
here are my initial impressions...

The opening song: Well since just about everyone else is bickering
about it, I figure I might as well add my own opinion to the mix. The
opening song isn't bad at all but then I never did like the original
opening that much anyways. The original was okay but it was far
from great with it's warbling and slightly off key singing(dodges
tomatoes). I can easily imagine WD's singer listening to it and
saying, "You expect me to sing like that?!?" :)

Title scene: WTF??? What's this goofy Star Wars-ish scrolling
thing complete with scrolling stars background?? WD could
have done much better than this. :p I'm not expecting WD to
duplicate the morph(too bad about WD's original logo) but
damn they really could have done better than this.

Opening sound effects: Most of the changes were good, IMO.
The only exception would be the addition of the girls' voices.

Look ma, naked chicks!: The scene where the girls receive
their magic is intact. But then I kinda expected that since WD
also got away with it with Lucia in Lunar EB.

And now for random general comments:
Upon starting the game, "Hey, that's Lucia's voice!" I keep
thinking Lucia instead of Emerald whenever I hear the voice.

The teacher in the import version becomes store security?!
Also one of the students on 2F talks like she's a store clerk
even though she's wearing a student uniform.

Eiyo drinks: I'm surprised they put this in. I and probably a
few other people know what it is but do others know what
it is???

I don't know why people are bickering about the controls.
They feel all right to me. (But then that may be because
I'm used to it.)

You STILL can't skip the speech in this game with the
exception of the FMVs and the diary. The ability to do
this would have improved the game immensely. I'm
surprised and dissapointed that WD didn't address
this problem. If WD wanted to fix the slowing down
of the flow of the game, that's what they should have
done instead of cutting half the game speech. If they
wanted to cut speech they should have done it during
the prologue up to Precia's mansion since due to
just having to sit there and listen to them yap for a
long time it gets real boring real fast. Gets especially
tiresome when you want to play the game again.
Instead that's the one part they left the speech in.
Nice going, WD. :p

No real positives or negatives on the added diary
speech. I just wished they didn't add the "A PLAY"
sign on each picture since it detracts from the
overall image of the diary. I'm sure the player gets
the message after either seeing it on Hikaru's 1st
entry or reading the instructions. WD didn't have
to pepper it on every single entry as well. :p

Load time is still the same if not worse. :p

Voice acting: Fuu isn't bad, really. It might be a
bit off center occasionally but I like it better than
Hikaru's voice. But one voice I absolutely hated
was Ascot's voice. I am surprised that everyone
bickered about Fuu yet ignored this guy. The
voice is completely wrong for Ascot! He's my
favorite male character in MKR too, how dare
they butcher his image. :p

I think that's about it.

Yasu
Replace nospam with yana to email.

Raymond McKeithen II

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98

Yasu wrote in message <7556dh$5...@journal.concentric.net>...

>Well, got my copy of MKRE and got as far as the 1st town and
>here are my initial impressions...

I don't have the US version, but I have one comment:

>The opening song: Well since just about everyone else is bickering
>about it, I figure I might as well add my own opinion to the mix. The
>opening song isn't bad at all but then I never did like the original
>opening that much anyways. The original was okay but it was far
>from great with it's warbling and slightly off key singing(dodges
>tomatoes). I can easily imagine WD's singer listening to it and
>saying, "You expect me to sing like that?!?" :)

We can start a "non-fan" club. I hate the original opening song. Listened to
it once or twice, then /always/ press the button to skip it. Apparently you
and me are the only two (or the only two with enough guts to speak up about
it)... ;)

Raymond
remove 2 nospam's for email.

Victor Ireland

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
In article <7556dh$5...@journal.concentric.net>, nos...@concentric.net says...

> Title scene: WTF??? What's this goofy Star Wars-ish scrolling
> thing complete with scrolling stars background?? WD could
> have done much better than this. :p I'm not expecting WD to
> duplicate the morph(too bad about WD's original logo) but
> damn they really could have done better than this.

This was a last-minute addition. We had the morph with the
Rayearth logo you seen in the Rayearth ad nearly complete
when we sent it (the game) off for near-final approval
from SoJ/Kodansha/TMS. Guess what? They (Kodansha) wanted us to
use the crappy laserdisc logo (which is what's on the
cover and game screen now). Kodansha never sent the
style guide to SoJ, who never sent it to us. So, after
much debate, we decided the quickest way to get the game
OUT (since we were basically DONE at that point) was to
do what we did. It looks *okay*, but there's an annoying
pause on the scroll-in because we had to insert it into the Japanese
compressed opening (no source was provided for the opening
movie! Yah!) and the frame rates didn't match *exactly*.
After much futzing, we got it down to the millisecond pause
that's in the scroll-in now, and left it in the interests,
again, of shipping the game. Whew! Bet you never guessed!

Victor Ireland

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
> And now for random general comments:
> Upon starting the game, "Hey, that's Lucia's voice!" I keep
> thinking Lucia instead of Emerald whenever I hear the voice.

Actually, it's Luna's voice! :)

Merry Ashmas Barbie

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:45:28 -0500, chie...@animejump.com (Michael
"Mr. Groovy" Toole) wrote:

> Personally, I think they should've called the dog Flashlight. Best of
>both worlds.

Oh, great. Now I can't get this disgusting image of Hikaru saying,
"Oh, Flashlight, I can turn you on" out of my head...

--
Merry Ashmas Barbie - "Tommorow is ano... don't ask about barbie..."

"I kept dreaming that I was sleeping on little breasts. That jingled."
- Bud Bundy

"Look out Itchy, he's Irish!" - Millhouse

"Auch de leiben! That is not eisen booby!" - Hitler

"Yes. Believe it or not, Ash666 has changed his name...
AGAIN! Garsh, what's next with that wacky poster?
A website parody? Copyright infringement?" - Sean D.

Yasu

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98

Victor Ireland wrote in message ...

>In article <7556dh$5...@journal.concentric.net>, nos...@concentric.net says...
>> And now for random general comments:
>> Upon starting the game, "Hey, that's Lucia's voice!" I keep
>> thinking Lucia instead of Emerald whenever I hear the voice.
>>

>Actually, it's Luna's voice! :)

Are they all by the same voice actor? Sounded like Lucia to me...

Yasu

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
>>The opening song: Well since just about everyone else is bickering
>>about it, I figure I might as well add my own opinion to the mix. The
>>opening song isn't bad at all but then I never did like the original
>>opening that much anyways. The original was okay but it was far
>>from great with it's warbling and slightly off key singing(dodges
>>tomatoes). I can easily imagine WD's singer listening to it and
>>saying, "You expect me to sing like that?!?" :)
>>
>We can start a "non-fan" club. I hate the original opening song. Listened to
>it once or twice, then /always/ press the button to skip it. Apparently you
>and me are the only two (or the only two with enough guts to speak up about
>it)... ;)

Oh yeah, a "non-fan" club would be nice, heh. :) I don't HATE the song
but I definitely feel it's over-rated by the "otaku-types" here. ;)

BTW, I have the Fuu CD. I would have preferred Umi but Fuu ain't bad.

Victor Ireland

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
In article <75595c$6...@journal.concentric.net>, nos...@concentric.net says...

Lucia=Lunar 2=Kelly Weaver
Luna=LUNAR 1=Rhonda Gibson

AngShan

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
>> Are they all by the same voice actor? Sounded like Lucia to me...
>>

>Lucia=Lunar 2=Kelly Weaver
>Luna=LUNAR 1=Rhonda Gibson

Either one is fine with me. ;-)~

Shannon Taylor
Ang...@aol.com
ICQ #13343362

Aerith Gainsborough

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
I don't know if it is the tune of the song, or the words, but I get it
impossibly stuck in my head...and tonight I did something I never
thought I would do...I sung it in half english/half japanese. (The
japanese I can mostly fake pretty good, the english, I don't know ANY of
the word...well most of them...)

Which brings me to another point...exactly what are the words to that
song, in the WD version of it, anyhow? Does anyone even care?

I do...so this is what "I" am hearing...
Legend - words in parenthesis are ones I am very questionable about.
(?) means I couldn't understand exactly what she was singing after the
15th time listening to it...maybe 100 more

(Behold) daring dream
Built of Hope, Bound by Chance
Into daring dreams
Go the bold, conquering their fear

Free yourself from all the circumstance in your reality
So close, erase the fear
Challenge that which tries to limit what you (seem) to be (?By
background chorus, sounds like "What I feel?)
(??????)Obstacles as they appear (???????)
(????like a hope?????)
Stength within(?????)

The solitary burden you bear can also be a key

(Behold) daring dream
Built of hope, bound by chance
Into daring dreams
Go the bold, conquering their fear
Shining Ray of Light
As darkness (all) consumes
Only the bold will break free.

I'm sure the actual lyrics of this are posted somewhere. I'm pretty
curious as to how close I got and what the "Center" of the song is - you
do see all those question marks up there, right?

~April

Aerith Gainsborough

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
PS no fair peeking in the instruction manual. You have to play the game.
It's pretty fun, since I knew it was in there and I tried to sound it
out anyway. Vic...you really should have hired someone with a clearer
singing voice...^_^

Yasu

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
Aerith Gainsborough wrote in message
<16632-36...@newsd-131.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

>>I don't know if it is the tune of the song, or the words, but I get it
impossibly stuck in my head...and tonight I did something I never
thought I would do...I sung it in half english/half japanese. (The
japanese I can mostly fake pretty good, the english, I don't know ANY of
the word...well most of them...)

Which brings me to another point...exactly what are the words to that
song, in the WD version of it, anyhow? Does anyone even care?>>

Ahh, you can find the lyrics in the MKR instruction booklet.

Vance Palodichuk

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
Yasu wrote in message <7556dh$5...@journal.concentric.net>...
>Well, got my copy of MKRE and got as far as the 1st town and
>here are my initial impressions...
>
>The opening song: Well since just about everyone else is bickering
>about it, I figure I might as well add my own opinion to the mix. The
>opening song isn't bad at all but then I never did like the original
>opening that much anyways. The original was okay but it was far
>from great with it's warbling and slightly off key singing(dodges
>tomatoes). I can easily imagine WD's singer listening to it and
>saying, "You expect me to sing like that?!?" :)

Oh my god! How can you not like Yuzurenai Negai??! Probably one of the
better Japanese songs I've ever herd...although it's not my favorite MKR
song. I like Hikari to Kage wo Dakishimeta Mama and Itsuka Tenshi ni Nareru
slightly more.

If you can't tell, I just got my Magic Knight Rayearth: Best Song Book CD.
;) I'm embarrassed to admit I like the little character songs. Fuu rapping
is just too cute!

>Look ma, naked chicks!: The scene where the girls receive
>their magic is intact. But then I kinda expected that since WD
>also got away with it with Lucia in Lunar EB.

Even the censors ignore the Saturn. ;)

--
Vance Palodichuk
vtpalo...@bigfoot.com

Jose Barragán

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98

Yasu wrote in message <7556dh$5...@journal.concentric.net>...
>Well, got my copy of MKRE and got as far as the 1st town and
>here are my initial impressions...

Same here, so I'm gonna just give my own comments here. First of all, the
CD I got had Hikaru on it, which is great, since she's my favorite MKR
character (RED HAIR!!!). Maybe Vic read my mind or somethin', because it
was, I think, the LAST copy they had at the EBX I got the game from.

>The opening song: Well since just about everyone else is bickering
>about it, I figure I might as well add my own opinion to the mix. The
>opening song isn't bad at all but then I never did like the original
>opening that much anyways. The original was okay but it was far
>from great with it's warbling and slightly off key singing(dodges
>tomatoes). I can easily imagine WD's singer listening to it and
>saying, "You expect me to sing like that?!?" :)

I like the opening song a lot. I think it sounds really nice and overall
keeps the feel of the original (which I liked a lot as well).

>Title scene: WTF??? What's this goofy Star Wars-ish scrolling
>thing complete with scrolling stars background?? WD could
>have done much better than this. :p I'm not expecting WD to
>duplicate the morph(too bad about WD's original logo) but
>damn they really could have done better than this.

It didn't look that bad (though it does pause for a split second as it's
scrolling up, which looks slightly nasty), but it is a bit corny. I have no
problems at all with the opening, really. It was nicely done.

>Opening sound effects: Most of the changes were good, IMO.
>The only exception would be the addition of the girls' voices.

I didn't mind this in the least. It actually pissed me off in DBGT when
they removed the character's voices from the opening (and changed the entire
awesome opening music as well). So, even if they added the girl's voices,
the effect is pretty cool.

>Look ma, naked chicks!: The scene where the girls receive
>their magic is intact. But then I kinda expected that since WD
>also got away with it with Lucia in Lunar EB.

They don't have sex organs, so I didn't see a problem with this in the first
place.

>The teacher in the import version becomes store security?!
>Also one of the students on 2F talks like she's a store clerk
>even though she's wearing a student uniform.

D'oh. I didn't know about this. Did the teacher say something perverted
about the students (that might be the reason they changed it). What I found
funny is that one of the girls is talking about seeing a guy there from
another of the high schools, but all the students in the building seem to be
female.

>I don't know why people are bickering about the controls.
>They feel all right to me. (But then that may be because
>I'm used to it.)

Ditto, I didn't have a problem with the control at all. It is a little
floaty, but it feels comfortable.

>You STILL can't skip the speech in this game with the
>exception of the FMVs and the diary. The ability to do
>this would have improved the game immensely.

Didn't bother me at all, since I really liked all the voices a lot. WD's
voice actresses did a really great job here. Kudos, Vic!

>Load time is still the same if not worse. :p

This did bother me a lot. First Albert Odyssey, now Rayearth? Both these
games have SERIOUS loading time problems. However, Rayearth has a lot of
FMV sprinkled throughout (at least, that I've seen), which is really cool.

>Voice acting: Fuu isn't bad, really. It might be a
>bit off center occasionally but I like it better than
>Hikaru's voice. But one voice I absolutely hated
>was Ascot's voice. I am surprised that everyone
>bickered about Fuu yet ignored this guy. The
>voice is completely wrong for Ascot! He's my
>favorite male character in MKR too, how dare
>they butcher his image. :p

All I could think of was that Ascot looked like a five year old and sounded
like a guy in his twenties.
All the girls' voices sound fine (and they actually seemed to take their VA
jobs seriously, unlike the voice actors in Xenogears who didn't even try to
make the words match the lip movements).

>I think that's about it.

Uhm...I liked the stickers...though I probably won't end up using them (what
would I do with them, anyway?). Nice full-color instruction booklet, as
always...and is that an Oingo Boingo reference I caught when referring on
how to attack (something about "monsters who like little girls because they
make them feel so bad")? Because if it is, Victor Ireland, you are a gaming
gawd!;)

Yasu

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98

>>The teacher in the import version becomes store security?!
>>Also one of the students on 2F talks like she's a store clerk
>>even though she's wearing a student uniform.
>

>D'oh. I didn't know about this. Did the teacher say something perverted
>about the students (that might be the reason they changed it).

Nah. The teacher simply tells Hikaru to go straight to the observation
floor instead of wandering around(and don't goof off on the 2nd floor).
I think it was changed for the heck of it.

> What I found
>funny is that one of the girls is talking about seeing a guy there from
>another of the high schools, but all the students in the building seem to be
>female.

They are. In the Japanese version, the girl trio were talking about the
students from the other schools. Gives a smidgen of background info
on the schools Umi and Fuu go to so I'm not sure why the lines were
changed.

Jose Barragán

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98

Yasu wrote in message <757q5t$e...@journal.concentric.net>...

>>>The teacher in the import version becomes store security?!
>>>Also one of the students on 2F talks like she's a store clerk
>>>even though she's wearing a student uniform.
>>

>>D'oh. I didn't know about this. Did the teacher say something perverted
>>about the students (that might be the reason they changed it).
>
>Nah. The teacher simply tells Hikaru to go straight to the observation
>floor instead of wandering around(and don't goof off on the 2nd floor).
>I think it was changed for the heck of it.

Then I have to agree with their having changed those lines, since the
security guard calling kawaii Hikaru a 'red-haired freak' is a pretty funny
moment.^_^
Then again, all those students without adult supervision makes little sense,
and they don't explain how the hell Flash/Hikari got to the Tokyo Tower (of
course, they might reveal that later in the game, I dunno...).

>> What I found
>>funny is that one of the girls is talking about seeing a guy there from
>>another of the high schools, but all the students in the building seem to
be
>>female.
>
>They are. In the Japanese version, the girl trio were talking about the
>students from the other schools. Gives a smidgen of background info
>on the schools Umi and Fuu go to so I'm not sure why the lines were
>changed.

This is a change I totally don't agree with. I would've liked to know more
about Umi and Fuu's school. Umi's school is pretty obviously a snooty,
private school for high-class kids, but I didn't know anything about Fuu's,
and would really have liked to have learned a little more.