**Sonic 3D Blast Review!!**

free...@earthlink.net

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

Sega's newest Sonic game, Sonic 3D Blast, is out! If you own a Genesis,
you MUST purchase this game! To me, Sonic 3D Blast does for the Genesis
what VF2 did for the Saturn....and what VF3 did to VF2!

---Info-------------------------------------------------------------------------

After turning on Sonic 3D Blast, I was shocked to see a Full Motion Video
intro to the game! Although the quality was not the greatest, it is still
amazing to this happen in a Genesis game!

From here, you are taken to the title screen, where you have the option of
starting the game, changing the control, or listening to the sound test.

As the game starts out, you are treated to a small storyline(with great
visuals) explaining the basis of the game: Sonic is on his way to visit
"Flicky Island", the home of his friends, the Flicky Birds. It is said
that the Flicky Birds hold the secret to the location of the Chaos
Emeralds scattered about the island, as they are able to mysteriously
teleport all over their homeland. Dr. Robotnik is quick to notice the
presence of Chaos Emeralds on the island, and when he arrives, he
discovers the secret of the Flicky's teleportation: All over the island,
there are "Dimension Rings", which lead into another world. It is in this
world that the Flicky Birds live, and where the Chaos emeralds are
stored. Robotnik quickly captures all of the birds, and turns them into
robots. When Sonic arrives, he finds all of his friends turned into
robots. Learning of Robotnik's plan, he sets off to free his friends and
grab the Chaos Emeralds before Robotnik does.....

With all of this said, it makes it easier to explain the game: Instead of
simply grabbing as many rings as possible, going into a bonus stage, and
then beating the level as in past Sonic games, this time you have a new
mission...

Since the perspective of the game is different, you now have a larger
world to explore. Each world looks and sounds different, having various
enemies, stage features,(such as the machines that make Sonic twirl around
very fast in the Rusty Ruin Zone, which enable Sonic to open up new areas
by breaking down stone columns) and containing secret areas accessable by
using the spin dash attack.

The goal of each level is to find all of the robot enemies, kill them,
rescue the Flicky Birds, and then find the dimension ring and drop all of
the birds into it. Once you have done this, a portal undernieth the
dimension ring will open up, leading to another section of the level,
where you must do the same once again.

Along the way, you will encounter Knuckles and/or Tails.(You have to
search for them) If you have at least 50 rings, they will teleport you to
one of two amazing looking behind-the-'hog view 3D bonus stages where you
can grab the Chaos Emeralds.

Once you have rescued all of the birds in the stage, the final teleporter
will open up(it is marked with an "X"), and you can go on to the next
one. Each stage has taken me a long time to beat, with my lowest time
being about 7 minutes(There is no timer counting down when you play).
After you beat two stages in a world, you are taken to the third stage,
which is a fight against Robotnik.

You would think that with 7 huge worlds(14 stages, 7 bosses) to explore,
you would get a save feature, but sadly, there is none to be found(My only
complaint about this game). Hopefully, a stage select code will be
available......

---Review-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics:

Sonic 3D Blast is the best looking Sega Genesis game ever! Each stage is
colorful, and highly detailed. Everything in the game is all rendered in
3D, making it extremely impressive to look at. (The game itself looked
very clear, almost as if it was at a high resolution....)

(My friend, who recently purchased a Nintendo 64, was stunned to see this
game. He kept repeating to me how good the game looked, like it was
beyond 16-bit quality.)

Sound:

The sound in Sonic 3D Blast is great. Everything sounds very clear, and
the music is very good, fitting the game. What more can I say, other than
"Hey, it's Sonic music!" :)

Control:

At first, the control may seem to be a bit awkward. However, once you get
used to it, you'll find that the control is perfect for the game. I had
no trouble getting anywhere in the game, or making a jump. The button
layout is easy to follow as well: Jump and Spin Dash...

Fun:

The most fun I've had on the Genesis this year! Nothing else on the
Genesis this year comes anywhere near as close to being this fun to play.
Everyone I've showed the game to has agreed with me that Sonic 3D Blast is
one of the best Genesis games ever!

---Overall----------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, Sonic 3D Blast blasts itself into the top 10 best Genesis games
of all time. It looks amazing, sounds great, and plays very well.
Personally, I rank this game into my favorite 16-bit games of all time.
This game is THAT good to me!

---Final Opinion----------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics-10
Sound-10
Control-10
Fun-10

My only complaint of Sonic 3D Blast is that there is no save feature.
Other than that, Sonic 3D Blast is a BLAST!!

(If you have any questions or comments, feel free to E-Mail me)

Lee

Schmev

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

Great review! I'll wait for the Saturn version.

Genesis owners, Christmas shoppers, sounds like a great game!

Schmev

--
"Space is gonna do me good!"

free...@earthlink.net

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

In article <32865D...@worldnet.att.net>, Schmev
<SCHM...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Great review! I'll wait for the Saturn version.

Hey, thanks! I'm going to buy that version too! :)

> Genesis owners, Christmas shoppers, sounds like a great game!

Words just cannot describe how good this game is! Mario and Crash
Bandicoot just didn't do anything for me(No, I don't own Nights either,
but I don't think it is anything like Mario or Crash is, so...), but this
16-Bit game did! That's right, I like Sonic Blast MORE than Mario, Crash,
and Nights. If the Genesis version is this good, I can't wait for the
Saturn one!

Lee

Zen Zenith

Nov 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/10/96

Schmev wrote:
> Great review! I'll wait for the Saturn version.
> Genesis owners, Christmas shoppers, sounds like a great game!

See.. this is the problem.. both versions are pretty much the same, but
on the Saturn we expect more so were not gonna like it as much...

Were just all SO spoiled... ;)

> Schmev

Zen
--
___ ___ _ _
|_ | __| \| | "My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling

Zen Zenith

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

Samuel Hart wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Zen Zenith wrote:
> > on the Saturn we expect more so were not gonna like it as much...
> Actually, I doubt the Saturn version will be anything like the Genesis
> version. I've seen preview shots of both (regrettably, I haven't played

What your probably saw where shots for the totally 3D bonus round...
THAT is one of the additions to the Saturn version. Or you might have
seen shots from Sonic X-Treme and got confused.... another diffrence is
the Music, and the Cinimas....

> > Were just all SO spoiled... ;)

> Yes we are.... ISN'T THAT GREAT! >:)

Heh heh

Jeff Dworak

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

Samuel Hart <ha...@soliton.physics.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Actually, I doubt the Saturn version will be anything like the Genesis
> version. I've seen preview shots of both (regrettably, I haven't played

> the Genesis one yet.) The Saturn was completely 3D while the Genesis was
> merely 3 1/4 overhead view (kind of pseudo-3D, which is still really
> cool!) Plus there is supposed to be a Game Gear version as well.

(snipped)

> {Sam Hart | ha...@physics.arizona.edu | http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~hart/}

I think you might be thinking of Sonic Extreme, which was put on hold by
Sega. Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn is the same as the Genesis version in
terms of gameplay and graphics (more colors, obviously). I'm not sure if it
has any extras like bonus boards or more levels, though.

Looks like a good game for the Genny...I'll have to pull the old thing out
and give this game a whirl. I'm glad it's not the same as past Sonics--I
still think the first was the best.

Jeff Dworak (tv...@sprynet.com) is a horrible "person", the
kind of wretched miscreant who would stalk you for no good
reason. He claims to be a cartoonist of reasonable ability
and a useful member of society, but DON'T BELIEVE HIM! The
truth is he's a filthy, perverted deviant who shouldn't be
polluting bandwidth with his disgusting thoughts.

free...@earthlink.net

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

In article <3287A3...@msn.com>, Frec...@msn.com wrote:

> free...@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > Words just cannot describe how good this game is! Mario and Crash
> > Bandicoot just didn't do anything for me(No, I don't own Nights either,
> > but I don't think it is anything like Mario or Crash is, so...), but this
> > 16-Bit game did! That's right, I like Sonic Blast MORE than Mario, Crash,
> > and Nights. If the Genesis version is this good, I can't wait for the
> > Saturn one!
>

> It's probably more fair to compare this game to other 16 bit titles,
> like the DKC series, which this game destroys. I like it a lot more than
> Yoshi's Island too.

I agree with you. Again, I'm still quite amazed at this game! I just
cannot stop myself from playing it!

Lee

> Kent

free...@earthlink.net

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

In article
<Pine.SUN.3.91.961111...@soliton.physics.arizona.edu>,
Samuel Hart <ha...@soliton.physics.arizona.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Zen Zenith wrote:
>

> > Schmev wrote:
> > > Great review! I'll wait for the Saturn version.
> > > Genesis owners, Christmas shoppers, sounds like a great game!
> >
> > See.. this is the problem.. both versions are pretty much the same, but

> > on the Saturn we expect more so were not gonna like it as much...
>

> Actually, I doubt the Saturn version will be anything like the Genesis
> version. I've seen preview shots of both (regrettably, I haven't played
> the Genesis one yet.)

It is the right of every Sega player to go out and play Sonic 3D Blast on
Genesis! :)

>The Saturn was completely 3D while the Genesis was
> merely 3 1/4 overhead view (kind of pseudo-3D, which is still really
> cool!) Plus there is supposed to be a Game Gear version as well.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Sonic X-Treme(Saturn), was which
delayed? Even if the Saturn version is just an enhanced Genesis version,
I will most definitely buy it! I really do like this game THAT much!

The Game Gear version, from what I see, is only a side scroller...

Lee

> > Were just all SO spoiled... ;)
>
> Yes we are.... ISN'T THAT GREAT! >:)

free...@earthlink.net

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

free...@earthlink.net

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

In article <tv42-ya02306004...@news.spry.com>,
tv...@sprynet.com (Jeff Dworak) wrote:

> I think you might be thinking of Sonic Extreme, which was put on hold by
> Sega. Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn is the same as the Genesis version in
> terms of gameplay and graphics (more colors, obviously). I'm not sure if it
> has any extras like bonus boards or more levels, though.

I hope that it contains some extras besdies the obvious(graphics, sound, ect.)

> Looks like a good game for the Genny...I'll have to pull the old thing out
> and give this game a whirl.

It's awesome on the Genesis, but only time will tell how the Saturn
version is...

>I'm glad it's not the same as past Sonics--I
> still think the first was the best.

I think that this is why I like the game so much....it IS different. The
way I feel about this game is same way I first felt when I saw Sonic
1...completely awe-struck!

Lee

free...@earthlink.net

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

In article <5663p7$j...@news1.radix.net>, r...@Radix.Net (Rajeev Gantela) wrote:

> i'm gonna get both, the saturn and the genesis version
> (i have a nomad...yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!)

Be warned: Sonic Blast on the Nomad may cause you to die of extreme pleasure! :)

The game does appear to be a bit blurry on the Nomad, but it's not too bad...

Lee

> Schmev (SCHM...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
> : Great review! I'll wait for the Saturn version.
>
> : Genesis owners, Christmas shoppers, sounds like a great game!
>

> : Schmev

Samuel Hart

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Zen Zenith wrote:

> Schmev wrote:
> > Great review! I'll wait for the Saturn version.
> > Genesis owners, Christmas shoppers, sounds like a great game!
>

> See.. this is the problem.. both versions are pretty much the same, but
> on the Saturn we expect more so were not gonna like it as much...

Actually, I doubt the Saturn version will be anything like the Genesis
version. I've seen preview shots of both (regrettably, I haven't played

the Genesis one yet.) The Saturn was completely 3D while the Genesis was

merely 3 1/4 overhead view (kind of pseudo-3D, which is still really
cool!) Plus there is supposed to be a Game Gear version as well.

> Were just all SO spoiled... ;)

Rajeev Gantela

Kent Frechette

Nov 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/11/96

free...@earthlink.net wrote:

> Words just cannot describe how good this game is! Mario and Crash
> Bandicoot just didn't do anything for me(No, I don't own Nights either,
> but I don't think it is anything like Mario or Crash is, so...), but this
> 16-Bit game did! That's right, I like Sonic Blast MORE than Mario, Crash,
> and Nights. If the Genesis version is this good, I can't wait for the
> Saturn one!

It's probably more fair to compare this game to other 16 bit titles,
like the DKC series, which this game destroys. I like it a lot more than
Yoshi's Island too.

Kent

Mike Wallis

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

free...@earthlink.net wrote:

>In article <tv42-ya02306004...@news.spry.com>,
>tv...@sprynet.com (Jeff Dworak) wrote:

[snip]

>I hope that it contains some extras besdies the obvious(graphics, sound, ect.)

The Saturn version contains many extras, such as: cinematics for the
storyline, support for Sega's analog controller, CD-quality music,
level graphic enhancements, animating background objects, Saturn
specific 3D bonus rounds, a level map (when paused), and many other
enhancements.

-Mike

Zen Zenith

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

Mike Wallis wrote:

> free...@earthlink.net wrote:
> >I hope that it contains some extras besdies the obvious(graphics, sound, ect.)
> The Saturn version contains many extras, such as: cinematics for the
> storyline, support for Sega's analog controller, CD-quality music,
> level graphic enhancements, animating background objects, Saturn
> specific 3D bonus rounds, a level map (when paused), and many other
> enhancements.

Cool... you know, I don't really care if Sonic 3D Blast is *TRUE* 3D or
not (But I'm sure were gonna get bugged by a lot of Mario 64 fantics
about it) as long as it's a good game, and from what I've heard it is...
cool..

> -Mike

Zen, who still wants a *true* 3D sonic game though... ;)

Zen Zenith

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96

Samuel Hart wrote:
> I heard that Sonic X-Treme evolved into Sonic 3D Blast. If that's true,
> then Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn will indeed be 3D. On SOA's site it
> I guess we'll have to wait until Sega brings out some official screen
> shots of Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn (currently, on their site all they
> have is a picture of the box.)
> Personally, I doubt they'd have the first Saturn Sonic game be anything
> but 3D in light of the other systems' mascot games (Mario 64, Crash
> Bandicoot.)

Hate to bust your bubble but screen shots of Sonic 3D Blast for the
Saturn *HAVE* be released. In fact theres even a quicktime avilable at
http://www.nuke.com/eg

The Saturn version is most DEFINITLY just and updated version of the
Genesis version...

Zen

Samuel Hart

Nov 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/12/96
to free...@earthlink.net

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 free...@earthlink.net wrote:

> > Actually, I doubt the Saturn version will be anything like the Genesis
> > version. I've seen preview shots of both (regrettably, I haven't played
> > the Genesis one yet.)
>

> It is the right of every Sega player to go out and play Sonic 3D Blast on
> Genesis! :)

Yeah, I know... I need to.

> >The Saturn was completely 3D while the Genesis was
> > merely 3 1/4 overhead view (kind of pseudo-3D, which is still really
> > cool!) Plus there is supposed to be a Game Gear version as well.
>

> Are you sure you are not thinking of Sonic X-Treme(Saturn), was which
> delayed? Even if the Saturn version is just an enhanced Genesis version,
> I will most definitely buy it! I really do like this game THAT much!

I heard that Sonic X-Treme evolved into Sonic 3D Blast. If that's true,
then Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn will indeed be 3D. On SOA's site it is
described as "an exciting 3D playing environment" [which could mean
anything! ;) ] And Sonic X-Treme has disappeared from their site.

I guess we'll have to wait until Sega brings out some official screen
shots of Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn (currently, on their site all they
have is a picture of the box.)

Personally, I doubt they'd have the first Saturn Sonic game be anything
but 3D in light of the other systems' mascot games (Mario 64, Crash
Bandicoot.)

{Sam Hart | ha...@physics.arizona.edu | http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~hart/}

Joe Ottoson

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

In article <jchen-12119...@dbadgett.imagine-inc.com>,
jc...@imagine-inc.com (Jeff Chen) wrote:

> Well, if you want to see what it looks like, check out the review at
> SaturnWorld. We've got movies and screenshots. A solid, solid game.

3 stars right?

Always remember,

Real faith is objective

Jeff Chen

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

--
Jeffrey Chen
Editor

Jeff Chen

Nov 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/13/96

In article <ajkko-13119...@news.dimensional.com>,
aj...@dimensional.com (Joe Ottoson) wrote:

> jc...@imagine-inc.com (Jeff Chen) wrote:
>
> > Well, if you want to see what it looks like, check out the review at
> > SaturnWorld. We've got movies and screenshots. A solid, solid game.
> >

> 3 stars right?

Or its equivalent. We have a 10 point system.