Skeleton Warriors came out! Any good?

Michael N. Goldshteyn

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

So, has anyone purchased/played the new game Skeleton Warriors? Is it any
good?

Thanks,

Mike
mi...@wwa.com

Nobody's Perfect

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

mi...@sashimi.wwa.com (Michael N. Goldshteyn) wrote in <4p51b6$i...@sashimi.wwa.com>:

> So, has anyone purchased/played the new game Skeleton Warriors? Is it any
> good?

Don't buy SW, boycott it. We need to send a message to Playmate that we
won't be treated like second class gamers. Playmate should have released
the Saturn version back in January when it was done instead holding back
until the release of PSX version.

> Thanks,
>
> Mike
> mi...@wwa.com

bom...@interaccess.com

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

On 6/5/96 8:40PM, in message <4p5cug$s...@trst.cca.vu.nl>, Nobody's Perfect
<Nob...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Don't buy SW, boycott it. We need to send a message to Playmate that we
> won't be treated like second class gamers. Playmate should have released
> the Saturn version back in January when it was done instead holding back
> until the release of PSX version.

Ok.. so you tell us not to buy it. Do you have any proof as to why they waited
to release it? Just because that's your opinion, it's no reason for others that
want the game to boycott it. Give me some proof of a valid reason to boycott
the company.

Ched Chorture

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

On 6 Jun 1996 01:40:32 GMT, Nobody's Perfect <Nob...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>mi...@sashimi.wwa.com (Michael N. Goldshteyn) wrote in <4p51b6$i...@sashimi.wwa.com>:

>> So, has anyone purchased/played the new game Skeleton Warriors? Is it any
>> good?
>

> Don't buy SW, boycott it. We need to send a message to Playmate that we
> won't be treated like second class gamers. Playmate should have released
> the Saturn version back in January when it was done instead holding back
> until the release of PSX version.

Hmmm....personally, I'm not that worried when a game company releases
a mediocre game for one system before the other. I guess I'm just not
that worried about where my Saturn stands, y'know?

Anyways, Mike, In my opinion, Skeleton Warriors has two things: Good
graphics, and good music. It's what it doesn't have that's important:
This game is not really fun at all, at least to me. I guess the
easiest thing to compare it to would be Super Star Wars for the SNES.
It has a lot of linear, side scrolling screens where you smack every
Skeleton Warrior in your way, then pick up his "gem" so he doesn't
re-form. You can jump, slash your sword, and shoot projectiles out of
it, as well as pick up an occasional power-up. This game also has 3d
first person flying levels (kinda like bonus levels) that are less
than impressive for either system. 20 levels, 4 bosses.

The gameplay is average and boring IMO, the graphics are all SGI
rendered sprites and this may or may not appeal to you (the plastic
look doesn't really do anything for me), plus the color pallete is
pretty drab (in some levels, some of the enemies blend into the
background so well that you may not see them before they hit you).
Nice music (some good "Conan" type stuff in places), but that's about
it. Try it before you buy it, but don't believe the hype some mags
(like GAMEFAN) are making about this. To me, it was just really,
really average.

BTW, between the PS and Sat. version, I didn't see too much
difference. Some better scrolling effects and a bit more color, in
the Saturn one, maybe, but mostly the same thing for both..
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>> mi...@wwa.com

Ched Chorture.
"I'm pretty #$*=!@' FAR from Okay..."

Ed Giangrande

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

In <N.060696.214913.06@ix763> bom...@interaccess.com writes:

>On 6/5/96 8:40PM, in message <4p5cug$s...@trst.cca.vu.nl>, Nobody's

Perfect
><Nob...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> Don't buy SW, boycott it. We need to send a message to Playmate
that we
>> won't be treated like second class gamers. Playmate should have
released
>> the Saturn version back in January when it was done instead holding
back
>> until the release of PSX version.
>
>Ok.. so you tell us not to buy it. Do you have any proof as to why
they waited
>to release it? Just because that's your opinion, it's no reason for
others that
>want the game to boycott it. Give me some proof of a valid reason to
boycott
>the company.

There is no proof for what he said, but many eople a few months back
all fiured SW was due out in days. That game seemed basically done and
just about everyone at the time figured the only reason it was delayed
was to allow the PSX version to be made. Frankly the Saturn version was
already in development from what I undertsnade way before the PSX one,
and to have the PSX version ciome out first makes no sense. I can
understand why a company would wait to release a title, but why then
wait until after teh PSX version was already out? Why not release them
at the same time...

Scott Alter

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

>There is no proof for what he said, but many eople a few months back
>all fiured SW was due out in days. That game seemed basically done and
>just about everyone at the time figured the only reason it was delayed
>was to allow the PSX version to be made. Frankly the Saturn version was
>already in development from what I undertsnade way before the PSX one,
>and to have the PSX version ciome out first makes no sense. I can
>understand why a company would wait to release a title, but why then
>wait until after teh PSX version was already out? Why not release them
>at the same time...

Does STUPIDITY answer your question?

Daryn Brown

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

In article s...@trst.cca.vu.nl, Nobody's Perfect <Nob...@nowhere.com> () writes:
> mi...@sashimi.wwa.com (Michael N. Goldshteyn) wrote in <4p51b6$i...@sashimi.wwa.com>:
> >
> > So, has anyone purchased/played the new game Skeleton Warriors? Is it any
> > good?
>
> Don't buy SW, boycott it. We need to send a message to Playmate that we
> won't be treated like second class gamers. Playmate should have released
> the Saturn version back in January when it was done instead holding back
> until the release of PSX version.

Right on! Powwa to tha PeeePOL baby! Stick it to THa MAHN! Say it loud. I GAME
AND IM PROUD! THA WHOLE WORLS WATCHIN BABY. Its yo thang, do whacha wanna do!

(all expressions found at www.sixties.groovytalk.com)

useless as always...

DBIII

DaveZ.

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

Ed Giangrande wrote:

> In <N.060696.214913.06@ix763> bom...@interaccess.com writes:
> >
> >On 6/5/96 8:40PM, in message <4p5cug$s...@trst.cca.vu.nl>, Nobody's
> Perfect
> ><Nob...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >> Don't buy SW, boycott it. We need to send a message to Playmate
> that we
> >> won't be treated like second class gamers. Playmate should have
> released
> >> the Saturn version back in January when it was done instead holding
> back
> >> until the release of PSX version.
> >
> >Ok.. so you tell us not to buy it. Do you have any proof as to why
> they waited
> >to release it? Just because that's your opinion, it's no reason for
> others that
> >want the game to boycott it. Give me some proof of a valid reason to
> boycott
> >the company.

Here is the story according to Playmates. The Saturn version was basically
completed back in January, but they held back it's release so that they
could release both the Playstation and Saturn versions at the very same
time. The reason that Playmates gave for the Playstation version coming
out first, was that Sega of America had problems burning the CD's, thus
the delay in the Saturn version.

Is this true? I don't know. But, that is the response from Playmates.

Dave Z
--
-Editor
Eidolon Online - http://members.aol.com/davidz71/eidolon/

-Editor in Chief
Sega-Saturn.com - http://www.sega-saturn.com/

Email: d...@dmv.com
da...@sega-saturn.com

Dustin Cushman

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

In article <N.060696.214913.06@ix763>, bom...@interaccess.com writes:
> On 6/5/96 8:40PM, in message <4p5cug$s...@trst.cca.vu.nl>, Nobody's Perfect
> <Nob...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> Don't buy SW, boycott it. We need to send a message to Playmate that we
>> won't be treated like second class gamers. Playmate should have released
>> the Saturn version back in January when it was done instead holding back
>> until the release of PSX version.
>
> Ok.. so you tell us not to buy it. Do you have any proof as to why they waited
> to release it? Just because that's your opinion, it's no reason for others that
> want the game to boycott it. Give me some proof of a valid reason to boycott
> the company.

Playmates said they were waiting untill both versions were done before they
were released, at least that's what they told me when I e-mailed them a few
months ago.

Dustin--

Dustin Cushman
rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu
George Mason University
http://osf1.gmu.edu/~rcushman
Saturn/Days/Fortune Web Pages

John Yeman

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

> > Don't buy SW, boycott it. We need to send a message to Playmate that we
> > won't be treated like second class gamers. Playmate should have released
> > the Saturn version back in January when it was done instead holding back
> > until the release of PSX version.

That won't solve anything. It will just make Playmates say, "Well, the playstation version sold a lot better,
so it looks like we were right to hold back the Saturn version." We have the only 32-Bit Earthworm Jim right
now, so obviously Playmates isn't going out of it's way to tick off Saturn owners. If you like Skeleton
Warriors, buy it and enjoy it - don't boycott a game just because it was released on PSX first. How absurd!

Brandon Fisher

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

Ched Chorture wrote:

> On 6 Jun 1996 01:40:32 GMT, Nobody's Perfect <Nob...@nowhere.com>

> wrote:
>
> >mi...@sashimi.wwa.com (Michael N. Goldshteyn) wrote in <4p51b6$i...@sashimi.wwa.com>:
> >>
> >> So, has anyone purchased/played the new game Skeleton Warriors? Is it any
> >> good?
> >
> > Don't buy SW, boycott it. We need to send a message to Playmate that we
> > won't be treated like second class gamers. Playmate should have released
> > the Saturn version back in January when it was done instead holding back
> > until the release of PSX version.

So you're gonna tell Playmates how to run their company? Go ahead and boycott
it - I'm sure you'll go far. So you think Playmates is showing favoritism to the PSX?
I guess that's why I don't see Earthworm Jim 2 on the Playstation. And how do you know
it was done in January? Did you program it? Do you think nothing was done to the game
since January? If it was done, it's kinda funny the PSX version came out FIRST. Or is
that another reason to boycott.
Think of it logically. Why spend all the marketing departments time promoting
the game for one system in January, then doing it again in June? Why not do both at the
same time and be done with it?
I suspect Die Hard Trilogy of being ready for the PSX. It was supposed to be
out in May, and full versions have been played by those lucky magazine reviewers. I
can't say whether or not there are any final touches going on or whether I'm right that
it's done at all. But, most likely, they are holding it until the fall to release it
with the Saturn and PC versions. Think I'm gonna boycott it? Hell no. I'll be the
first in line.
They aren't doing it to screw YOU, kid.

Christer Ericson

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

On Fri, 07 Jun 1996 15:01:09 -0400, "DaveZ." <d...@dmv.com> wrote:

>Here is the story according to Playmates. The Saturn version was basically
>completed back in January, but they held back it's release so that they
>could release both the Playstation and Saturn versions at the very same
>time. The reason that Playmates gave for the Playstation version coming
>out first, was that Sega of America had problems burning the CD's, thus
>the delay in the Saturn version.
>
>Is this true? I don't know. But, that is the response from Playmates.

Yes, as far as we know, that is the truth.

Christer, programmer
Neversoft Entertainment

BTW: For those who still have to make up your mind, I just added
lots of screen shots and some other info to the Skeleton Warriors
page at our web site ("http://www.neversoft.com/sw.html").

Zen

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

mi...@sashimi.wwa.com (Michael N. Goldshteyn) writes:

>So, has anyone purchased/played the new game Skeleton Warriors? Is it any
>good?

>Thanks,

>Mike
>mi...@wwa.com

Okay forget about this boycotting crap--there is absolutely no good
reason to boycott playmates. Take a chill pill, and just calmly
wait for it to be released--then decide whether you want to buy it.
If it comes out too late, then they lose out, don't get your sale,
and Playmate is bummed. But going so far as to boycott them is
ludicrous. Now that that's all said and done, I'll address the
original question here...

The answer is NO. Skeleton Warriors is not good. SW has superb
graphics, combining 2d graphics with 3d backgrounds. There is
some good music--one of the tracks sounds like something right
out of Conan; it is a really killer tune. But that's about as far
as I can go with complements. The game is totally boring! And
I don't mean that some people won't like it, but others will
enjoy it, I mean that it is boring on an absolute scale here.
The only reason to lumber through the game once (taking about
1.5 hours) is just to see all the backgrounds and hear all the
music. You just walk right, whacking all the enemies that jump
literally out of nowhere at you. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Hop on your bike--now this is where the ultimate in boredom
begins. Remember the land speeder stage in SNES Star Wars?
Like that, but much less interesting, and about as good graphics.
The bike levels are totally pointless, mindless, and uninteresting.
Nothing exciting about this game. And when the first time isn't
interesting, imagine what the replay value is... Negative, I'd
imagine, since I wouldn't willingly sit through and play it
a second time, well maybe just to hear the "Conan" music, but
then again, it probably has a BGM test, or I could just hear
it on the CD player, so forget that idea. This game is all
flash and no game. Save your money, rent it if you dare,
buy it if you're a total moron.

This is all based on the PSX version which I imagine is not
significantly different from the Saturn one. Go buy Guardian
Heroes if you want a real game!

Arne Gleason

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

DaveZ. wrote:

> Ed Giangrande wrote:
> >
> > In <N.060696.214913.06@ix763> bom...@interaccess.com writes:
> > >
> > >On 6/5/96 8:40PM, in message <4p5cug$s...@trst.cca.vu.nl>, Nobody's

> > Perfect
> > that we
> > released
> > back
> > >
> > >Ok.. so you tell us not to buy it. Do you have any proof as to why
> > they waited
> > >to release it? Just because that's your opinion, it's no reason for
> > others that
> > >want the game to boycott it. Give me some proof of a valid reason to
> > boycott
> > >the company.
> >
> > There is no proof for what he said, but many eople a few months back
> > all fiured SW was due out in days. That game seemed basically done and
> > just about everyone at the time figured the only reason it was delayed
> > was to allow the PSX version to be made. Frankly the Saturn version was
> > already in development from what I undertsnade way before the PSX one,
> > and to have the PSX version ciome out first makes no sense. I can
> > understand why a company would wait to release a title, but why then
> > wait until after teh PSX version was already out? Why not release them
> > at the same time...
>
> Here is the story according to Playmates. The Saturn version was basically
> completed back in January, but they held back it's release so that they
> could release both the Playstation and Saturn versions at the very same
> time. The reason that Playmates gave for the Playstation version coming
> out first, was that Sega of America had problems burning the CD's, thus
> the delay in the Saturn version.
>
> Is this true? I don't know. But, that is the response from Playmates.
>
> Dave Z
> --
> -Editor
> Eidolon Online - http://members.aol.com/davidz71/eidolon/
>
> -Editor in Chief
> Sega-Saturn.com - http://www.sega-saturn.com/
>
> Email: d...@dmv.com
> da...@sega-saturn.com

I bought Skeleton Warriors hoping it was going to be a good
action platformer.
It's OK I guess, but I'm returning it.
It has about half the moves of Shinobi and the game play seams
quite thin.
Maybe I'm just disappointed because I waited 6 months for this
game, but I am disappointed.

My personal conspiracy theory on the delay of this game is that
Sony has a distribution policy that ensures multi-platform games
are released on the PSX first. I notice on the EB release list
that PSX games are frequently released 7 to 10 days before
Saturn games(coincidence?). I have a PSX so I wouldn't mind so
much, except when the Saturn version of a game is ready 6 months
earlier. (Just a theory, don't take this a serious accusation.)

Arne Gleason

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

Arne Gleason

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

M Arnone

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

S> My personal conspiracy theory on the delay of this game is that
S> Sony has a distribution policy that ensures multi-platform games
S> are released on the PSX first. I notice on the EB release list
S> that PSX games are frequently released 7 to 10 days before
S> Saturn games(coincidence?). I have a PSX so I wouldn't mind so

Hmm... You may be right, at least as far as most companies are concerned.
Capcom seems much more pro-Saturn though. Not surprising, considering the
shit they've taken from Sony's no-3D policy. Notice that while most
dual-platform games come out PSX then Saturn, Capcom's come out on Saturn
first. Examples: X-Men:COTA, Nightwarriors before PSX Darkstalkers (Hell,
NW is even a superior game!). Of course it's still a crazy conspiracy
theory but it's fun to think....

Toruwa

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

In article <000005E1...@nashville.com>, m.ar...@nashville.com
says...
Adding fuel to all of this conspiracy stuff is the rumor I just heard
that says Sony is forcing EA and others to sit on the PSX versions of
some of their games until the Sony version comes out, in order to stall
competition intrasystem. Also, notice that, while Tekken 2 would require
almost zero translation, it still hasn't come out, and won't til late
summer. Why? Probably to give Toshinden 2 a fighting chance here in the
states. Just goes to show what would happen to gamers if the "system
advocates" ever got their wish and had only "their system" left on the
market--the gamer gets screwed. Competition--intersystem and
intrasystem--is a necessity.

Toruwa
I just feel rhythm emotion . . .

Richard John

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

>This is all based on the PSX version which I imagine is not
>significantly different from the Saturn one. Go buy Guardian
>Heroes if you want a real game!

Actually, Skeleton Warriors for the PSX was based on the Saturn
version. The Saturn version was complete about 2 months ahead of the
PSX version, but because of CD burning problems at Sega, the game was
unfortunately delayed.
Dan.

-Dan & Richard John
r...@pathcom.com
"It's just a little airborn, it's still good, it's still good!"
- H. Simpson
Broadcasting from Oakville, ON
http://www.pathcom.com/~rna/nextgen.htm
NEXT GENERATION SEGA SATURN PAGE

Mark Pruett

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

I got this game the other day... and I think it stinks.
The graphics and music are cool, but the gameplay blows big monkey.

Oh well... does anyone wanna buy a used Skeleton Warriors?

Boinger

--
"The tasks before us are vast, the problems difficult.
The challenges are unparalleled. But we carry with us

"...we celebrate the past to awaken the future."

-John F. Kennedy

terrell gibbs

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

In article <31B845...@ao.net>, Brandon Fisher <bjfi...@ao.net> wrote:

:Think of it logically. Why spend all the marketing departments time promoting

:the game for one system in January, then doing it again in June? Why not
do both at the
:same time and be done with it?

Doesn't make sense to me. I can see waiting on the promotional campaign,
but why withhold release. Do they think that people want buy it just
because they've seen it on the shelves.

They certainly lost me as a customer. It's not that I'm boycotting them,
but when the game was first scheduled there were a lot fewer games that I
wanted. I actually had it on order. But when it didn't come out, I
canceled the order and bought DS2 and Guardian Heroes instead. Frankly,
now that I have those to play with, I'm just not all that interested in
Skeleton Warriors. Besides, people don't seem all that thrilled with it
anyway. I figure I'll wait a few months and maybe pick it up used at half
price.

Ticarro

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

. Besides, people don't seem all that thrilled with it
>anyway. I figure I'll wait a few months and maybe pick it up used at half
>price.

It Sucks... it looks real purdy... and the music is awesome... But...
they forgot that itty bitty detail...... GAMEPLAY!!! it sucks

Dragonmaster X

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

>In article <4q934l$4...@is05.micron.net> Ticarro, tic...@micron.net writes:
>>Subject: Re: Skeleton Warriors came out! Any good?
>>From: Ticarro, tic...@micron.net
>>Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:34:46 GMT
I rented it and I thought it was pretty good. I would have probably
bought this game if it had not been delayed 4 months just so they could
release it at the same time as the PSX version.

-DMX

Ian A Pinnell

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

Run, RUN away!

What a stinker! Typical Playmates....looks and sounds great,
except it don't play worth a damn. Rent it if you must, but don't by
it!

-POOF-

Ticarro (tic...@micron.net)
wrote: : . Besides, people don't seem all that thrilled with it

BJ Atchley

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

Dragonmaster X <alat...@earthlink.net> writes:

>>In article <4q934l$4...@is05.micron.net> Ticarro, tic...@micron.net writes:
>>>Subject: Re: Skeleton Warriors came out! Any good?
>>>From: Ticarro, tic...@micron.net
>>>Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:34:46 GMT

>>>It Sucks... it looks real purdy... and the music is awesome... But...
>>>they forgot that itty bitty detail...... GAMEPLAY!!! it sucks
>>>

>I rented it and I thought it was pretty good. I would have probably
>bought this game if it had not been delayed 4 months just so they could
>release it at the same time as the PSX version.

>-DMX
I thought the game was pretty good all around. It plays alot like
Clockwork night 2. Except the control is a little more crisp. The game
is too short though. Definitely worth a rental.

=-=-=- BJ Atchley =-=-=-=- b...@mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu -=-=-=-=-=-=
| WD Games-VF2-X-Files-Filter-AD&D-Alto Saxophone-Jpn History |
| D. Eddings-Orson S. Card-L. Niven-M. Python-Anime-Babylon 5 |
| Sliders. this space open for further enhancement. |
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
| You can't say you've lived....until you're dead- Me |
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Yoritomo -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Richard John

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

On 21 Jun 1996 05:46:51 GMT, ipin...@uoguelph.ca (Ian A Pinnell)
wrote:

> Run, RUN away!
>
> What a stinker! Typical Playmates....looks and sounds great,
>except it don't play worth a damn. Rent it if you must, but don't by
>it!
>
> -POOF-

You hit it right on the button. The graphics are incredible, sound is
kickin, but the game is only there for about 3 minutes, then it's
dowhill from there on. Even Shinobi is better than this garbage. Why
did Gamefan give it such a good review???

Michael Mullis

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96
boi...@ix.netcom.com(Mark Pruett) wrote:

>I got this game the other day... and I think it stinks.
>The graphics and music are cool, but the gameplay blows big monkey.

>Oh well... does anyone wanna buy a used Skeleton Warriors?

>Boinger

You didn't like Skeleton Warriors???? Well, to each his own I guess.
I thought the game was really cool, especially the music.

Mike