Maximum Pool - Initial Impressions (online play)

Nathan

Nov 9, 2000, 12:03:05 AM11/9/00
Stopped at EB to pick up THPS2 today. They were all reserved and Billy the
after-school stock boy didn't go for my $5 bribe .. hehe. Saw Maximum Pool
for 30 bucks .. he said it had just come in. When I asked him if he had
talked to anyone who had tried it on-line, he looked at me like I had just
said "Look at the silly monkey" in my South Park Johnie Cochrun voice (which
can get you some strange looks in public BTW).

I decided for the online play alone, 30 bucks was worth it. No problems
getting on-line. All of the seganet rooms were empty, but I found plenty of
PC users in the other rooms. Although I got smoked several times by the
well-versed PC players, it was a really cool online experience with the DC.
Chat during the game was lag free, and no noticeable problems actually
playing. It definitely makes a good addition to my on-line collection.. and
for 30 bucks its hard to have turned down. Anyway... better head back to
playing THPS2 (which I found at Toys'R'Us... no bribe needed .. and no funny
looks from Billy the EB/PS fan/stock-boy.. hehe).

I think I made some of the PC players jealous when I said that I was playing
sitting on my couch with a 50 inch tv screen :)

Nathan

Mr Goat

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
Nathan <nat...@indylinux.org> wrote:

> Stopped at EB to pick up THPS2 today. They were all reserved and Billy the
> after-school stock boy didn't go for my $5 bribe .. hehe. Saw Maximum Pool
> for 30 bucks .. he said it had just come in.

30 bucks?

Is this one of the four online games Sega is releasing free on next
months ODCM?

Or am I very stupid?

jay jefferson

Nov 9, 2000, 8:14:35 PM11/9/00
I would doubt it. This game is done by Sierra
http://www.maximumpool.com and is actually a decent pool game. It's no
Virtual Pool 2, but it's still fun. Test Drive Le Mans is only $30
also, I doubt that will be free. :)

-j.

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:09:40 +0000, mrg...@bigfoot.com (Mr Goat) wrote:

>Nathan <nat...@indylinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Stopped at EB to pick up THPS2 today. They were all reserved and Billy the
>> after-school stock boy didn't go for my $5 bribe .. hehe. Saw Maximum Pool
>> for 30 bucks .. he said it had just come in.

Pete Calderwood

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
I dunno. I tried out this game and I felt the interface was too
clunky and detracted from the fun of the game. Hitting X to cycle
balls is a pain in the ass, and all of the button and dpad hits you
must make to set up just one shot made the game more of a chore than a
fun experience in my opinion.

Nathan

Nov 12, 2000, 12:46:02 AM11/12/00
Umm... Can't we all just get along? :)

Playing the game, I actually do not use the X button to switch balls. I
always use the D-pad. If you hold the B button down, the D-pad control moves
about 3 times as fast. Playing 8-ball and 9-ball online I haven't had any
frustration with the controls. Although sometimes I do feel as the computer
players may have an advantage with the precision they have with their mouse.

This is definitely not the best pool game ever. I found Virtual Pool 2 for my
PC to have better graphics/control/physics. But for one of the first on-line
titles for the dreamcast it is definitely worth 30 bucks if you own a
dreamcast, like pool and like playing on-line games.

As an added note, PC players playing pool are MUCH less likely to quit than
the dreamcast users playing NFL/NBA2K1. I am yet to have someone bail during
a game of pool and I have complete easily over a hundred games of 8-ball and
9-ball online.

Nathan

In article <mrur0tsgoof846ur4...@4ax.com>, calvie <c...@fiu.edu>
wrote:

>dont be upset... what do u expect from a fucking mother fucking
>pacerfans???? he is an idiot... if u have anything bad to say about
>sega or its games, he will defend them as thou sega is his mother
>

>On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 01:34:00 GMT, Pete Calderwood <pe...@voicenet.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 12 Nov 2000 00:24:06 GMT, louspe...@aol.com (PacersFan) wrote:
>>
>>>u're a dumbass... my 10 year old nephew can play this game without reading
> the
>>>instructions.
>>
>>You're the dumbass who didn't read my post correctly. I have no
>>problem playing the game, its just _no fun_. Setting up shots is an
>>exercise in tedium.
>>
>>Setting up a shot generally consists of pressing:
>>1. "X X X X X X X X X A" (to find the ball you want to hit) if you
>>accidently go by the ball, you have to cycle through all the balls
>>again.
>>1b. If the game requires it "X X A" to cycle pockets
>>2. movement of analog stick to find the camera angle you want,
>>pressing L trigger to zoom in or R trigger to zoom out, and the
>>closest you can get still isn't very close, and I couldn't find an
>>angle that truly conveyed first person.
>>3. Press Y to toggle between cue ball adjustments (like english) and
>>shot adjustments.
>>4. Use D-Pad to make adjustments on english
>>5. Press Y again to get back to the shot adjustment
>>6. Use the D-Pad to aim left and right (and the stick moves very
>>slloooowww)
>>7. Pull back the D-Pad to determine shot strength
>>8. Press A to finally shoot
>>
>>Now if that's not tedious, I don't know what is.
>>
>>P.S. -- The menus suck too :)

Bill G8z

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Can u use a mouse for DC version? How do you control how hard you
hit the ball using the standard DC controller...the analog controller?
Too bad the sierra card game didnt support online play..it would have
sold better. Is Virtual Pool 3 still planned for DC? It will feature
the lovely jeanette "black widow" lee.