late games !!!

Charles Doane

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96
to William Dilgard

William Dilgard wrote:

> Arrrgghhhhh !!!
>
> Why am I not playing Shining Wisdom and Gungriffon right now...?
>
> Why does it take MONTHS! to translate a game's TEXT !!! ???
> (shining wisdom...gungriffon) I'm a computer scientist, and
> though I've never worked on a video game before, It just doesn't
> make sense to me that it should be such a monumental task -
>
> -Bill D.
>
> --
> *************************************
> "I've got a bike, you can ride it if
> you like ... " -Syd Barret
> WILLIAM DILGARD

I believe a lot of the time is researching things so the company doesn't
get sued. For example, in a game called Street Fighter II, the boss is
named M. Bison. The original name for the character was Mike Bison.
Uncomfortably close to Mike Tyson, a real American character known for
knocking people around. So after research, they changed it.
Sega just took a hit on Mystaria, which is too close to the upcoming
Capcom/ AD&D game containing 'Mystara' in the title.
Atari, during the Jaguar debacle, publicly threatened lawsuits against
any 32-bit import console under 200 bucks. Notice how those Consoles
stayed comfortably over 200 bucks until Atari left the field.
If importing games were as easy as just changing text, it would have been
done long ago. Thank the lawyers for the delays.
--
eppur si muove... 'and yet it does move'... Galileo,
after recanting his assertion of the Earth's motion.

William Dilgard

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

Greg Sewart

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

As for Gun Griffon, we got it in Nova Scotia today. I find it hard to
believe that it isn't out in the States yet. Games are usually in
circulation for a week in the US before we get them.

Greg

Michael Alexander

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

In article <31C789...@primenet.com>, Charles Doane
<gdo...@primenet.com> wrote:

> Atari, during the Jaguar debacle, publicly threatened lawsuits against
> any 32-bit import console under 200 bucks. Notice how those Consoles
> stayed comfortably over 200 bucks until Atari left the field.
> If importing games were as easy as just changing text, it would have been
> done long ago. Thank the lawyers for the delays.
> --
> eppur si muove... 'and yet it does move'... Galileo,
> after recanting his assertion of the Earth's motion.

No, Atari threatened lawsuits against consoles under 300 bucks, because
the systems were more in Japan. Sony simply lowered the price in Japan
accordingly, and Sega followed suit.

--
*PSX-SATURN-VIRTUAL BOY*

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Visit the Unofficial Virtual Boy Web Page at: http://www.wco.com/~malexand/virtualb.html for all the latest Virtual Boy information!

Andrew Ryan Chang

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

Charles Doane <gdo...@primenet.com> wrote:

>William Dilgard wrote:
>> Why does it take MONTHS! to translate a game's TEXT !!! ???
>> (shining wisdom...gungriffon) I'm a computer scientist, and
>I believe a lot of the time is researching things so the company doesn't
>get sued. For example, in a game called Street Fighter II, the boss is
>named M. Bison. The original name for the character was Mike Bison.
>Uncomfortably close to Mike Tyson, a real American character known for
>knocking people around. So after research, they changed it.

I think it's even more fun than this. The original boss name was
Vega. Or something. The original name for the boxer guy was M.Bison or
something, but I think the Tyson name made them rotate the names (boss
now named M.Bison, boxer is Balrog, spainard is Vega).
--
Check Spoooon! Sun Cup Nil
Squid Adjective One Tray Ball

The ATO Psycho

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

William Dilgard <7635...@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>Arrrgghhhhh !!!
>
>Why am I not playing Shining Wisdom and Gungriffon right now...?
>

>Why does it take MONTHS! to translate a game's TEXT !!! ???
>(shining wisdom...gungriffon) I'm a computer scientist, and

>though I've never worked on a video game before, It just doesn't
>make sense to me that it should be such a monumental task -
>
> -Bill D.
>
>--
>*************************************
>"I've got a bike, you can ride it if
> you like ... " -Syd Barret
> WILLIAM DILGARD

Gun Griffon is out now (just got mine, will crack it tonight).
Shining Wisdow is done but there are delayes in printing the disks
because of so many new games coming out right now. It should be out
early next week.

The ATO Psycho
Atti...@ix.netcom.com
http://www.netcom.com/~attitoad/