Panzer Dragoon Zwei US Out

The Bee

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
According to the Tronix web site, Panzer Dragoon Zwei US
version is out.

Hans

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
Yap, got my copy at Etc today.

I havent finished it yet but...
Here's a short review IMHO,
Graphics:
Better than PZ1 for sure, the 3d rendered intro and cutscenes are
superior than those in PZ1, showing whole cities, how your dragon
spits out his laser and recoils... its awesome! ;>
The in game graphics has the same resolution as PZ1, with some added
new effects like the snow in stage 4, ever read Nausicaa? that stage
sure look familiar, with the carcasses and all the pseudo-technojunk
flying around. As for the bosses, rest assured, they are BIG and
nicely animated, definitely a notch above PZ1. I'm sure you've heard
about the "fish" boss huh? Can you say Jaws?
One thing I wished they would redraw is the rider's graphics... boy!
he looked positively ugly, really!.

Sound:
Well, they changed the composer <sob>, the music is bearable, but its
really almost too upbeat and technoish to fit a fantasy game like PZ2.
Its pretty good, but it doesnt make you want to use the BGM player.
As for the sound effects, Lagi has the same shriek as your old dragon,
in fact, I think they recycled some of PZ1's sound effects which is
already great in the first place.

Gameplay:
If you thought 1 was original, lookie here. Seems SEGA listened to
the player's complains about PZ1 linearity. Well, PZ2 still has
that "on the wire" feeling, with the added addition of multiple
"routes" at certain parts of the stage. The main gameplay is identical
to PZ1 with the addition of "berserk attack" (basically a frenzy of
homing lasers shot continuously"). You just shoot everything on the
screen until you reach the end.
Now, thats where the similarity ends... cause once the stage is over,
you are given points based on your performance, then your dragon will
"metamorphose" to a bigger dragon. They also remove the limited
credit and difficulty levels from PZ1, instead you now have the ability
to save your progress and any high scores you gathered. There's even a
"Pandora's Box" for those Dragoon masters ;>
Even with unlimited continues, this game is hard for the average gamers
like me. (yeah yeah, yer all game gods, dont give me that "PZ2 is too
easy!" crap!) ;p

Complains:
Nah not much...
1. I missed PZ1's music!
2. wished there's a way to stop the "berserk attack". It takes too
long to charge up, and once you press, say buh-bye to yer whole bar!
3. and ugh! I want PZ1's rider too!

Overall:
qouting just about every game magazine's review... this game is "worth
every penny." Its really an amazing side game if you get bored with
all these Street Fighters clones. ;>

This is based on my observation after 3 hours, there might be some
inaccuracies here and there, heck! I wrote this online too, pardon
the grammars and stuffs, I'll give yas another review when I finished
it, if I ever will that is.

Hans

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
Ok, here's my latest review now that I've finished the game...
I'll have to take back certain things I've said earlier.

Gameplay:
You can look up/down more than in PD1, you have totally different
routes to choose from in each episodes and your high scores are saved.
I dont think the points affect your dragon's form at all.

Difficulty:
The game IS easier than PD1, that unlimited continue thingie did the
job. There is a difficulty mode hidden in the "Pandra's box" which
slowly fills up with nifty options once you have finished the game.
I'll try it later.

Ending: (slight spoiler)
OK, they "killed" your dragon in PD1... nice saddening shock value
seeing that cute dragon, eyes you goodbye <sob> but ok thats enough.
Now they did exactly the same thing in PZ2 and worse they added
"flashbacks" of PD1s ending... now instead of tears welling in my
eye I've gotta ask HUH? Anyone get the ending?

Overall:
Well... a must buy if you are a PD fan like me, but really... rent
first ;> If given the choice of buying only one from this series.
I'd still buy PD1 which IMHO is a better more atmospheric game than
PD2.

Pmorgan811

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
i agree with most of what you are saying. first of all the game is just
too short. they should have added more levels. PZ 1 is just as you said
more atmospheric than PZ 2. the ending video was a total letdown. what i
do not understand is this pandra's box thing. the menu came up before i
finished the game with some things available and some not. when i
completed the game those same options were available, but worse, the last
save which was level 6 is now gone!!!
there is a level that opened up where you shoot stuff for time value, but
that is kinda lame. overall i came away disappointed because i expected
more. maybe if i can get somemore of that pandra's box stuff to work i
might keep it , but overall this title gets a 8.5. i will probably return
it because i finished it so fast.

Holmes9107

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
How do you get pandra's box? I beat the game while continuing and I have
not gotten it what do I have to do?

Hans

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/20/96
In <4l87p4$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> pmorg...@aol.com (Pmorgan811)
writes:

Well, the Pandora's box is something of a reward.
First time I finished it, using a lame continue save (hey! my first
time OK? ;>) they only opened the rolling mode, and the stage
select with lvl 1 max selectable.
Then I finished it again, this time 1st to end! got 92% (dragoon)
kill and 400K+ score. And they open these;
1. Stage select with everything, including the epilogue and credit.
2. A dragon selector which allows you to start the game as the
brigadewing dragon!
3. level selector ranging from very easy to very hard
4. life modifier from zero to phoenix (regenerating)
5. shot variations; 3 way, 5 way, homing, graviton
6. dragon laser variations; full auto, bctrl, bcg, heavy
7. rolling mode (on/off)
8. sight (normal/high)
9. <-- this one I dont know yet ;>
10. pause menu (on/off)
and a sound test.
Using the pandra box will give you what's called a "box game" where
any scores will NOT be saved.