A Working Designs question

Ailsa Murphy

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
my brother and i were discussing Working Designs games over
thanksgiving. i was asking him whether the "adult" elements
that crop up in all of them (some things in Lunar 2 left me
sitting there gasping weakly, "i can't believe they SAID that")
were something that is actually in all japanese RPGs, but
most american translators edit them out (like the "Flea Vest"
in ChronoTrigger), or does the Working Designs group just have
a wicked sense of humor?

so anyway, his response was "YOU'RE the one with the net account,
why don't you just ASK them?" so, i'm asking. B)

oh yeah, and he also asked me to tell Victor Ireland, at such
time as i run across him again, that he is god. so i am duly
conveying that as well...

-ailsa
--
You grieve, you learn. You choke, you learn. an...@spdcc.com
You laugh, you learn. You choose, you learn. is ailsa n.t. murphy

Victor Ireland

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
an...@spdcc.com (Ailsa Murphy) wrote:

>my brother and i were discussing Working Designs games over
>thanksgiving. i was asking him whether the "adult" elements
>that crop up in all of them (some things in Lunar 2 left me
>sitting there gasping weakly, "i can't believe they SAID that")
>were something that is actually in all japanese RPGs, but
>most american translators edit them out (like the "Flea Vest"
>in ChronoTrigger), or does the Working Designs group just have
>a wicked sense of humor?

No. Virtually ALL the humor in the game was added. Japanese humor tends
to be very direct (and in my opinion) infantile. While we add some of
that kind of humor, too, most of what we add is in the double entendre
department. We also make the character development much more complex.
The Square and Enix games are much closer to a direct translation that
what we do.

>oh yeah, and he also asked me to tell Victor Ireland, at such
>time as i run across him again, that he is god. so i am duly
>conveying that as well...

I appreciate the sentiment, but it sounds like your brother needs a life..
or at the very least a girlfriend. Appreciate our work, but try not to
give me a fat head in the process. :)

DBTH - Vic

Lauren Nicolo

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
In <DIsDr...@spdcc.com> an...@spdcc.com (Ailsa Murphy) writes:

>my brother and i were discussing Working Designs games over
>thanksgiving. i was asking him whether the "adult" elements
>that crop up in all of them (some things in Lunar 2 left me
>sitting there gasping weakly, "i can't believe they SAID that")
>were something that is actually in all japanese RPGs, but
>most american translators edit them out (like the "Flea Vest"
>in ChronoTrigger), or does the Working Designs group just have
>a wicked sense of humor?

Working Designs likes to put quite a bit of humor in their
tranlastions. Overall, it doesn't bother me too much, but IMHO they
went a little overboard in Lunar II. (Still a great game, though)

--
--==Ukyou==--
pas...@ix.netcom.com "That can't be...!
|Queen of the okonomiyaki*Card-carryin | young, in this world where Haagen-Dazs or
|g member of the of the High Church of | Denny's or Mos Burgers don't exist!?!?
|Takahashi*Junior priestess of the God | OH MY GOD!!"
|dess Althena*Anime artist extraodinare|
*--------------------------------------* -Umi Ryuzaki, Magic Knight Rayearth

Dream Hunter

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
SMR...@prodigy.com (Victor Ireland) writes:

> to be very direct (and in my opinion) infantile. While we add some of
> that kind of humor, too, most of what we add is in the double entendre
> department. We also make the character development much more complex.
> The Square and Enix games are much closer to a direct translation that
> what we do.

Just a little comment; I've been noticing that all the Enix games I've been
trying to play recently(7th Saga, Orge Battle, & Illusion of Gaia), have
this tendancy to put me to sleep as I try to slog through them.

Not so with any of the WD games I've played however(and I've played them all
expect Iron Storm(it's not out yet anyway)) as the NPC's just about always
have something interesting to say and so forth.

<POP!>

Oh, great I think I just heard Vic's head burst... ;^)

--
*-------------------------------------*----------------------------------*
| Wendell Hong a.k.a. Dream Hunter | anima...@genie.geis.com |

Ailsa Murphy

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
In article <49is0g$25...@usenetp1.news.prodigy.com>,
Victor Ireland <SMR...@prodigy.com> wrote:

>an...@spdcc.com (Ailsa Murphy) wrote:
>>
>>most american translators edit them out (like the "Flea Vest"
>>in ChronoTrigger), or does the Working Designs group just have
>>a wicked sense of humor?
>
>No. Virtually ALL the humor in the game was added. Japanese humor tends
>to be very direct (and in my opinion) infantile. While we add some of
>that kind of humor, too, most of what we add is in the double entendre
>department. We also make the character development much more complex.
>The Square and Enix games are much closer to a direct translation that
>what we do.

ah, ok. thanks. the humor isn't THE reason i like the Lunar games
so much, but it is definitely an important feature.

Enix... hmm... i don't THINK i've played anything by them. must
check my gameshelf.

>>oh yeah, and he also asked me to tell Victor Ireland, at such
>>time as i run across him again, that he is god. so i am duly
>>conveying that as well...
>
>I appreciate the sentiment, but it sounds like your brother needs a life..
>or at the very least a girlfriend. Appreciate our work, but try not to
>give me a fat head in the process. :)

*grin* yeah, well, who needs a life when you own a Genesis, SNES,
Sega CD, 3DO, and a Playstation - and own a comic book store as well...
although if anyone knows any single straight or bi women who are
interested in tall skinny ponytailed guys w/the above characteristics,
DO send them along. (yeah, riiiiiiight! like that doesn't describe
the woman half this newsgroup is looking for...)

but y'all's work is definitely appreciated. enough so that i will
eventually break down and buy a (*&&*%^&$%!!! Saturn next year.
*sigh*

Daryel M. Bush

Dec 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/4/95
pas...@ix.netcom.com (Lauren Nicolo ) writes:
> an...@spdcc.com (Ailsa Murphy) writes:
>>my brother and i were discussing Working Designs games over
>>thanksgiving. i was asking him whether the "adult" elements
>>that crop up in all of them (some things in Lunar 2 left me
>>sitting there gasping weakly, "i can't believe they SAID that")
>>were something that is actually in all japanese RPGs, but
>>most american translators edit them out (like the "Flea Vest"
>>in ChronoTrigger), or does the Working Designs group just have
>>a wicked sense of humor?
>
> Working Designs likes to put quite a bit of humor in their
> tranlastions. Overall, it doesn't bother me too much, but
> IMHO they went a little overboard in Lunar II. (Still a
> great game, though)

This isn't a Sega game, but Nintendo of America's Earthbound,
a translation of the wacky Mother 2, also has adult elements
in it. What's more surprising is seeing this in a game from
the notoriously conservative Nintendo. There are subjects
like religious cults in this game. I wonder if NOA spiced up
the text, but it's hard to say when a whole sub-adventure is
about rescuing a girl from "Insane Cult Worshippers" led by a
guy named "Carpainter" wearing a skullcap. ---Daryel