Shining Force CD is out!

jg...@rivers.acc.uwrf.edu

Mar 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/30/95
Second times a charm......

Well, you can tell by the header that Shining Force CD is out.
I have been waiting for this game to come out since I heard it was
coming to Japan. Thank SOA for releasing this game. So how is it?

After a couple hours of the same addicting gameplay I remember since I
rented Shining Force 1 a year or so ago, I have to say this game gets a
big thumbs up! On the back it says: "combines the best of the Shining
Force series into Four complete RP adventures with over 50 battles in
one CD!" Yes! this is what a CD game should be, using the CD storage
to give us something more. It also states: "Original CD soundtrack
and enhanced graphics". First off, soundtrack. Excellent music that
equals the experience of Lunar. Great orchestral themes that are appropriate
for the mood at the time. I don't think SOA messed with this soundtrack
like Sonic CD, and I'm glad they didn't. Graphics didn't dissapoint me
either, as they are some of the best 16-bit stuff around.

As for gameplay, well it's more of the same of the Shining Force series,
which you should know by now if you like or not. I think It's additicting,
and I lose track of a lot of time when battling it out in this game. I
can't say what if not all this game borrows from 1&2, but I would assume
there are new scenarios if you have played SF1 & SF2. SF fans and
strategy fans have little reason NOT to get this great game. Now I'll wait
for the enhanced Phantasy Star Quadrilogy? on CD!

--
Jeff Gunnink Internet: Jeff.R.Gunnink@ uwrf.edu

Adam Houkal

Mar 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/31/95
jg...@rivers.acc.uwrf.edu, whilst impersonating Estelle Getty, wrote:
: Second times a charm......

: Well, you can tell by the header that Shining Force CD is out.
: I have been waiting for this game to come out since I heard it was
: coming to Japan. Thank SOA for releasing this game. So how is it?

Wait, just what's on this CD? is it SF 1&2 with better music? or SF 1&2 plus
the game gear versions on one CD, or is this a whole new game, or what?

I need to find out whether or not this is worth whipping out the credit cards
for! :)

adam
--
.d#b. ____ _ . . .--------------------------------------.
.d| |b. #####. .d#b. .db.db. | One Body - Respect it. |

John Emmer

Apr 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/1/95
Shining Force CD is all new adventures with a _greatly_ improved
soundtrack but otherwise the same gameplay as the other versions. It is
great and I'm going to get back to playing it now. Go buy it!

|---> John Emmer, ABD - Philosophy - Penn State <----> JP...@psuvm.psu.edu <---|
| Concern for universal communication is something |Neo-Geo, JAMMA, 3DO, SNES,|
| that everyone expects and demands from everyone |Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, |
| else, on the basis, as it were, of an original |Amiga 1200, Vectrex, 7800,|
| contract dictated by our very humanity. - Kant |Jaguar, Lynx, Duo, Express|

Erin Catto

Apr 2, 1995, 4:00:00 AM4/2/95
In article <95091.21...@psuvm.psu.edu>, John Emmer
<JP...@psuvm.psu.edu> wrote:

> Shining Force CD is all new adventures with a _greatly_ improved
> soundtrack but otherwise the same gameplay as the other versions. It is
> great and I'm going to get back to playing it now. Go buy it!

Looks like a great deal at $49.99 at Electronics Boutique. Too bad I
don't have the CD option. :(

Ciao,
Erin
ec...@cornell.edu

Arnold L Chin

Apr 2, 1995, 4:00:00 AM4/2/95
Yeow! I think I'm gonna pick this one up in about a
week or so. By the way, what are the save options on
the thing? Does it include access to the RAM cart
directly? Ya know, so few adventure games that I know
of are really geared toward having the RAM cart!

Arn

vicv...@delphi.com

Apr 2, 1995, 4:00:00 AM4/2/95
It has updated scenarios from a GG Shining Force.

DBTH - Vic

jg...@rivers.acc.uwrf.edu

Apr 2, 1995, 4:00:00 AM4/2/95

Yeppers. You can save either to the innerbackup (1 game only) or
you can save to Cartidge RAM which allows at least 4 (maybe more) games to
be saved. I have no RAM cart so I get only 1 saved game.

Keith Ng

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
vicv...@delphi.com wrote:
> It has updated scenarios from a GG Shining Force.
>
> DBTH - Vic
Is it a continuation of the GG scenario? Since I finished the GG
version. Just wondering...

jg...@rivers.acc.uwrf.edu

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
In article <piz6ft-....@delphi.com>, vicv...@delphi.com writes:
> It has updated scenarios from a GG Shining Force.
>
> DBTH - Vic

Vic>> I take it that includes both GG Shining Forces 1&2? I remember
reading that there were two GG SF's released in Japan (only one here).
I wonder if it borrows from Genesis SF 1&2 also as the back of the
box says "four complete RP adventures"? Anyway, It's a great game.

CHRISTIAN NUTT

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3llbo5$d...@usenet.rpi.edu> ch...@brick.arch.rpi.edu (Arnold L Chin) writes:
>From: ch...@brick.arch.rpi.edu (Arnold L Chin)
>Subject: Re: Shining Force CD is out!
>Date: 2 Apr 1995 05:12:36 GMT

>Yeow! I think I'm gonna pick this one up in about a
>week or so. By the way, what are the save options on
>the thing? Does it include access to the RAM cart
>directly? Ya know, so few adventure games that I know
>of are really geared toward having the RAM cart!

>Arn

you better have the ram cart if you want shining force cd... it takes up 99
units for every save game. ti's not spectacular either, less plot than a real
shining force. no town scenes at all...just battle-battle-battle. it's ok.

stehle nathan w

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

I agree with the RAM cart part, but by now most people should have it.
Working Designs is reason enough. But just OK? It's great! If you like
SF, you'll like this. Sure, no town exploration, but here you have to
explore the battlefiled for stuff and chararcters. Less walking and
talking hassle is nice once in awhile, unless it's a WD game.

Nathan Stehle

Graduate Student in Organic Chemistry
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes."
Mazer Rackham in Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"

Motoki

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, stehle nathan w wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, CHRISTIAN NUTT wrote:
>
> > In article <3llbo5$d...@usenet.rpi.edu> ch...@brick.arch.rpi.edu (Arnold L Chin) writes:
> > >From: ch...@brick.arch.rpi.edu (Arnold L Chin)
> > >Subject: Re: Shining Force CD is out!
> > >Date: 2 Apr 1995 05:12:36 GMT
> > >Yeow! I think I'm gonna pick this one up in about a
> > >week or so. By the way, what are the save options on
> > >the thing? Does it include access to the RAM cart
> > >directly? Ya know, so few adventure games that I know
> > >of are really geared toward having the RAM cart!
> > >Arn
> > you better have the ram cart if you want shining force cd... it takes up 99
> > units for every save game. ti's not spectacular either, less plot than a real
> > shining force. no town scenes at all...just battle-battle-battle. it's ok.
>

> I agree with the RAM cart part, but by now most people should have it.
> Working Designs is reason enough. But just OK? It's great! If you like
> SF, you'll like this. Sure, no town exploration, but here you have to
> explore the battlefiled for stuff and chararcters. Less walking and
> talking hassle is nice once in awhile, unless it's a WD game.

"walking and talking hasle"? Um, that's the best part of RPGs! Without
walking around and talking to pepople for clues, quests, puzzles etc.,
all you would have left is a tedious strategy game where you make move
after move after move.

Motoki

stehle nathan w

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95

On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, Motoki wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, stehle nathan w wrote:
> > I agree with the RAM cart part, but by now most people should have it.
> > Working Designs is reason enough. But just OK? It's great! If you like
> > SF, you'll like this. Sure, no town exploration, but here you have to
> > explore the battlefiled for stuff and chararcters. Less walking and
> > talking hassle is nice once in awhile, unless it's a WD game.
>
> "walking and talking hasle"? Um, that's the best part of RPGs! Without
> walking around and talking to pepople for clues, quests, puzzles etc.,
> all you would have left is a tedious strategy game where you make move
> after move after move.

Yes, at times it is a hassle. Particularly when I come back to a game to
find the hidden items and in the case of SF II, characters. Especially
when I forget who hold all the crucial info and how many "The supreme evil
is coming" type people there are. Don't get me wrong, but there are
times when a change of pace is nice. Granted, there is not a whole lot
of freedom to go back to an area, which is poor. But I like getting to
the next battle to outdo the enemy.

John Emmer

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article <Pine.DYN.3.91.950406...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, stehle

nathan w <nst...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> says:

>I agree with the RAM cart part, but by now most people should have it.
>Working Designs is reason enough. But just OK? It's great! If you like
>SF, you'll like this. Sure, no town exploration, but here you have to
>explore the battlefiled for stuff and chararcters. Less walking and
>talking hassle is nice once in awhile, unless it's a WD game.

Have you actually found anything on the battle screens? I've been
looking everywhere, but have only actually found anything in chests. If
anyone has found stuff on any of the battle screens, please let the rest of us
know!

Sergei Aish

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
Mike S Reynolds (m...@acsu.buffalo.edu) wrote:

: > Have you actually found anything on the battle screens? I've been

: >looking everywhere, but have only actually found anything in chests. If
: >anyone has found stuff on any of the battle screens, please let the rest
: >of us know!

: My bro found Domingo, I think it was in battle 7 in a bush next to a pond.
: I'm not sure of the battle number but it's the one composed of 3 screens
: worth of vertical outdoors w/a castle at the top. I was pretty pissed cuz
: I was already past that battle when he told me about it. A good tip is
: that you can search multiple areas within one characters turn, just face the
: area you want to search, press C. If the search option comes up, then there's
: something there. Otherwise, just press B and check somewhere else. If anyone
: finds anyone or anything else, be sure to post!

OK, Rush (the Samurai) can be found in the second game towards the end. I
don't remember the stage number, it is where you fight Barbara (the evil
green gal :-) To find Rush, search in front of one of the statues.

-S.A.

jg...@rivers.acc.uwrf.edu

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
In article <95097.00...@psuvm.psu.edu>, John Emmer <JP...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
> In article <Pine.DYN.3.91.950406...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, stehle
> nathan w <nst...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> says:
>>
>>I agree with the RAM cart part, but by now most people should have it.
>>Working Designs is reason enough. But just OK? It's great! If you like
>>SF, you'll like this. Sure, no town exploration, but here you have to
>>explore the battlefiled for stuff and chararcters. Less walking and
>>talking hassle is nice once in awhile, unless it's a WD game.
>>
> Have you actually found anything on the battle screens? I've been
> looking everywhere, but have only actually found anything in chests. If
> anyone has found stuff on any of the battle screens, please let the rest of us
> know!

I have found two hidden characters so far in bushes. They are both
MCRT (micrite?), are magic users and look like floating squids. One has
some excellent offensive spells, the other some nice defensive spells, so
both have found positions in my party. I cant remember what battle I found
each in, but if you see bushes in a battle, postion a character facing a
bush and if you see search instead of stay, there is something there.

Actually I remember the second one was found in a battle where you first
meet the chimeras (they guard a chest with the dark sword). He's in the
far right bush where your party starts.

> |---> John Emmer, ABD - Philosophy - Penn State <----> JP...@psuvm.psu.edu <---|
> | Concern for universal communication is something |Neo-Geo, JAMMA, 3DO, SNES,|
> | that everyone expects and demands from everyone |Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, |
> | else, on the basis, as it were, of an original |Amiga 1200, Vectrex, 7800,|
> | contract dictated by our very humanity. - Kant |Jaguar, Lynx, Duo, Express|

Mike S Reynolds

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
In article <95097.00...@psuvm.psu.edu>,
John Emmer <JP...@psuvm.psu.edu> wrote:

> Have you actually found anything on the battle screens? I've been
>looking everywhere, but have only actually found anything in chests. If
>anyone has found stuff on any of the battle screens, please let the rest of us
>know!

My bro found Domingo, I think it was in battle 7 in a bush next to a pond.

I'm not sure of the battle number but it's the one composed of 3 screens
worth of vertical outdoors w/a castle at the top. I was pretty pissed cuz
I was already past that battle when he told me about it. A good tip is
that you can search multiple areas within one characters turn, just face the
area you want to search, press C. If the search option comes up, then there's
something there. Otherwise, just press B and check somewhere else. If anyone
finds anyone or anything else, be sure to post!

Mike Reynolds

Guillerm Malpartida

Apr 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/12/95
Can some kind soul tell me if it's like the first one for the genny?
*actually, just tell me if this version is ENTIRELY different than the other
versions* (I only have the game gear one, which is pretty damn good, but no
exploration things) =)

Stardate: Supplemental. We have just entered the galaxy of Transylvania, where
we have been getting disturbances through our communication systems.
Alhura:Captain, I'm getting... music. From the planet Transexual.
Spock: Fascinating. A blend of dark tones mixed with standard rock.
Kirk: Why, I know that tune. It's the Time Warp. Can you confirm that Bones?
Bones: Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a Transvestite!
|Guillermo "William" Malpartida Jr.| a.k.a "Chilly Willy", "Grey Star"| Post |
|Saint Peter's College student. | Resident Elementalist, and RHPS | no |
|7malpa...@spcuna.spc.edu | fan. Also travels to many places| bills. |