NBA Live '95-review

Stan Wong

Oct 29, 1994, 3:11:18 PM10/29/94
O.K. I picked up my copy yesterday and as many others who've posted, thought
it was the best thing since sliced bread. Well, after playing it for about
7 hours last night, I think I'm ready to pick out (what I think are) some of
the highs and lows of the game. Let's start with the bad. If you've played
Showdown, you'll remember that players could be hot after nailing 3 jumpers,
that option has been removed and (unfortunately) it seems like players are
ALWAYS on fire. For example, in one game last night, a friend and I started
out a 3 point expedition. We hit about 10 treys apiece until we reset to
change the shooting option. The shooting option allows you to set whether the
chance to hit depends on when you let go of the button or the player's stats.
But, like I said, it really doesn't matter *what* the option is set on. The
way you steal has also been changed. You no longer use the 'C' to steal,
instead, the players automatically try to steal when you're near the ball.
The only reason, I don't like this is because I feel like I need something to
do with my fingers when playing D. Well, that and the fact that it makes
swiping the ball on the throw in harder. Those are my only two real gripes
with the game, the rest is nothing but praise. There are options a-plenty
packed in here. The new play engine makes control more realistic; the players
now move sort of "Madden-esque" (ie. the have inertia so they don't stop on
a dime when you let up on the pad). They've brought back alley-oops and
improved on them since the Bulls/Blazers game. You no longer complete the
A-O by using the shoot button, now it happens automatically when you pass to
a player with an open drive to the lane. There's LOTS of playability in this
game so if your a fan of the NBA or liked the past EA games, get out and buy
this game. BTW, just so you can get a feel for where I'm coming from, I played
Showdown to no end, but I didn't like NBA Action '94 (Sega). Anyway, hope
this helps.

Stan