Need for Speed out - reviews?

Doug Erickson

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

Being an ardent NFS fan, I'm curious as to how the newly-released
Saturn version stacks up to the PS version. If someone has obtained it,
could you mail me with a review or post as to whether or not there are any
improvements over the PS version?
Gotta have the best version of my fave racer, ya know. :)

------
Douglas L. Erickson --- dou...@mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu
ECN does not endorse the rabid blathering I call my opinions
"All's well my butt! Gimme something to eat!" - Zenki-sama

John Tisch

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96
Anthony Kanner wrote:

> Yea need for speed rules!!
>
> I really hope they fixed the control problem of the playstation version (I have it and
> despite the control problem I still like it)

Man your telling me, I bougt 2 copies for hte PSX for link-up
and got the bonus of bad analog steering.. So by all means
this version had best be fixed ... It is also my favorite
racing game of all time..

- John

Eric Castle

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96

Picked this game up yesterday.

It supports the Arcade Racer controller too.

I've never played any prior version of NFS so I can't compare the Saturn
version to the others.

Heres my initial impressions having raced on the three open tracks (city,
coast, and alpine). I tried out the Viper, Lamburgini (sp?), Ferrari, and
ZR1 so far.

I was immediately dissapointed in the car graphics. They're ok but should
have been much more detailed. They should also have been more "shiny" some
how. They all look like someone took flat finish to all of them. The ZR1
when viewed from the outside views can barely be recognized as a ZR1. (I
really liked the car graphics in Sega Rally and Destruction Derby (for
PSX). In DD the cars are so nicely detailed you can clearly see the
decal/logos on the side of the cars. I hope the Saturn version has that
good of resolution. I think the cars in Daytona are more detailed than
the ones in NFS. Maybe its because the cars in NFS are all one color with
no variations or decals or anything so the whole thing blurs into a blob
on wheels (well its not that bad I guess but still the cars should have
been a whole lot better).

As far as control goes I'm not sure its as good as it should be. It could
be because I'm used to the controls in Daytona and Sega Rally. But so far
I haven't been able to purposefully slide a car around a corner yet. So
I've had to either slow way down around corners or slam into the walls. If
you apply the brakes you just slow down even if you slam them on and try
to turn also. No sliding around corners in this game, I guess. The
control doesn't seem to register how hard/fast you turn the wheel to the
right or left. In most games when you do that (turn sharply one way or the
other) it makes your vehicle turn sharply and can cause you to slide out
if not careful. But on NFS the cars just turn gradually as if you barely
turned the wheel. And in fact, if you are inside the car view so you can
see your steering wheel, you see that even when you sharply turn the
Arcade Racer to the full left or right the wheel in your car barely
moves. So it looks like this is gonna take some time to get used to.
Although I really wish it would react more to the Arcade Racer than it
does. I did notice some cars reacted better than others but none like I
expected. I think I took out every sign on the side of the roads while
racing.

I used the Arcade Racer exclusively so far but I might try the control
pad just to see how it controls with that. I'm really going to be pissed
if it controls better with the pad than an analog controller like the AR.

Having said all that, I think it's going to be a keeper. I love the
courses you get to race on. The graphics on the courses (besides the cars)
are damn good I think. I also like that you can race in morning, midday or
evening. I raced in the evening on the coastal course and there was an
excellent sunset ski in the background. Cool.

The sounds are good. Each car has its own sound. And its own horn sound! I
like blowing the horn in the tunnels (for that echo effect). Details like
that are nice.

Going off the road onto the shoulder can slow you down depending on what
the surface is. On the alpine track the shoulder was covered in show and
it ws sluggish and slippery trying to get the car back onto the road. That
is a nice touch also.

I didn't notice any pop up to speak about really.

Well, thats all I want to say for now, until I've played it some more.

Lets see some more comments and reviews for this game. I'd like to know if
the people who thought there were control problems with the PSX version,
think of the control in the Saturn version.

--
Eric
eric_...@taligent.com