Sega CD: Ecco The Dolphin

John E. Ray

Jul 3, 1993, 2:36:30 AM7/3/93

new Sega CD is out... not one I really was waiting for, but from the
looks of it, Sega is starting to get serious.

I've got a copy of the cart "Ecco" and I like it. I rented the CD to
see what the differences were.

The Game:
The CD version is apparently a bit longer, and has "Q-Sound"... The sound
is great... VERY relaxing... the splashes Ecco makes are perfect...absolutely
perfect. There seems to be some difference in enemy attacks and placement
of some obstacles, but it is essentually a "longer" version of the cartridge
game.

So why did I say sega was getting serious?

1. It is a great game, and it has great original music/sounds

2. They *FINALLY* got a new packaging scheme! A nice plastic case that the
instructions FIT INTO! Looks very nice!

3. Its RATED! The *FIRST* rated game is here! "GA" for General Audiences...

Gives me a good feeling that they may actually be gearing up for CD production

Now...please give me Joe Montana, Dracula, and some new Full Motion Video
games... (Hey, I though Night Trap and Sewer Shark were fun...sue me)

Hasit Mehta

Jul 3, 1993, 11:41:58 AM7/3/93
In article <2139de$2...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> bz...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (John E. Ray) writes:

>The Game:
>The CD version is apparently a bit longer, and has "Q-Sound"... The sound
>is great... VERY relaxing... the splashes Ecco makes are perfect...absolutely
>perfect. There seems to be some difference in enemy attacks and placement
>of some obstacles, but it is essentually a "longer" version of the cartridge
>game.
>
>So why did I say sega was getting serious?
>
>1. It is a great game, and it has great original music/sounds
>
>2. They *FINALLY* got a new packaging scheme! A nice plastic case that the
> instructions FIT INTO! Looks very nice!
>
>3. Its RATED! The *FIRST* rated game is here! "GA" for General Audiences...
>
>Gives me a good feeling that they may actually be gearing up for CD
>producion

I never played the cart version of Ecco but I picked up the CD version the
other day and the game is GREAT. I am not sure how much different it is from
the cart version but it is a great game. I think the CD version has like 5
extra levels and a few changes in the regular levels. The music and sound
effects are outstanding. The Ecco CD uses Q sound which allows for a more
enveloping soundstage. I myself wish they would have made it dolby but Q
sound is better than nothing. The new packaging scheme is a HUGE leap over
the old lame pakaging, however the packaging is still nonstandard it won't
fit in any CD racks. While the case looks nice and functions fine I still
wish Sega would make it the size of a regular CD or double CD case. This is
a great game if you have never owned the cart version than this is a MUST
buy. It is also pretty cheap, the local EB had it at $44.99. Overall one of
the best Sega-CD games out, regardless if it not much different from the
cart.

--
Hasit S. Mehta ****************************
University of Rochester HHA * PRIMUS SUCKS *

JP...@psuvm.psu.edu

Jul 3, 1993, 5:32:30 PM7/3/93
In article <1993Jul3.1...@galileo.cc.rochester.edu>,
hm0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Hasit Mehta) says:

>In article <2139de$2...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> bz...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (John .

>Ray) writes:
>>
>>2. They *FINALLY* got a new packaging scheme! A nice plastic case that the
>> instructions FIT INTO! Looks very nice!
>>
> The new packaging scheme is a HUGE leap over
>the old lame pakaging, however the packaging is still nonstandard it won't
>fit in any CD racks. While the case looks nice and functions fine I still
>wish Sega would make it the size of a regular CD or double CD case.

Yeah, I had a look at this at the local rental place to see what the new
packaging was like, and I'm not sure it's really any better. What I wanted
was for them to _shrink_ the manual so it would fit in the regular jewel case,
not make a _bigger_ plastic box so that the big manual would fit! At least
with the old scheme I could cut up the box to make my own inserts for the
jewel case, which could then be stored in the rack with the other games, and
the only extra bulk I had was the manual which had to be stored separately.
Now, I'd have to find a whole new organizing scheme to fit these non-standard
boxes! "Big deal" you may say, but to organization freaks like myself, this
_is_ a big deal - it's really annoying to have to figure out a whole new
configuration of racks just for a few new games...
Oh well, maybe Sega will get it right on the third try... At least
they're releasing games!

John Emmer Think for yourself. Think from the standpoint of
Philosophy, Penn State everyone else. Think consistently. - Kant, CoJ
JP...@psuvm.psu.edu (Spontaneity, Universality, Consistency)
-------- The Emmer Arcade: Amiga 1200, Genesis, Sega CD, SNES, Vectrex --------

Hasit Mehta

Jul 3, 1993, 7:44:14 PM7/3/93
In article <1993Jul3.154158.6107@galil

>I never played the cart version of Ecco but I picked up the CD version the
>other day and the game is GREAT. I am not sure how much different it is from
>the cart version but it is a great game. I think the CD version has like 5
>extra levels and a few changes in the regular levels. The music and sound
>effects are outstanding. The Ecco CD uses Q sound which allows for a more
>enveloping soundstage. I myself wish they would have made it dolby but Q
>sound is better than nothing. The new packaging scheme is a HUGE leap over
>the old lame pakaging, however the packaging is still nonstandard it won't
>fit in any CD racks. While the case looks nice and functions fine I still
>wish Sega would make it the size of a regular CD or double CD case. This is
>a great game if you have never owned the cart version than this is a MUST
>buy. It is also pretty cheap, the local EB had it at $44.99. Overall one of
>the best Sega-CD games out, regardless if it not much different from the
>cart.

Ohh yeah, there is one major drawback. The Ecco CD does NOT use the RAM
backup feature instead you must use the good old passwords, this gets pretty
damn annoying after a while.

Shih-ta Peng

Jul 3, 1993, 9:11:57 PM7/3/93
hm0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Hasit Mehta) writes:

>Ohh yeah, there is one major drawback. The Ecco CD does NOT use the RAM
>backup feature instead you must use the good old passwords, this gets pretty
>damn annoying after a while.

This is simply idiotic. How much trouble can it be to add the battery
backup feature? This is a CD machine with advanced features for crying out
loud. It's really a shame that they don't even use such a simple feature
of the machine, much less scaling, and rotation.

There better be some legitimate explanation.

STP

Carl Mueller

Jul 6, 1993, 10:30:15 AM7/6/93

>was for them to _shrink_ the manual so it would fit in the regular jewel case,
>not make a _bigger_ plastic box so that the big manual would fit! At least
>with the old scheme I could cut up the box to make my own inserts for the
>jewel case, which could then be stored in the rack with the other games, and

Don't complain. If you've noticed, it is exactly the same size as the other
Sega CD boxes, so it fits in with their other brain-damaged packaging scheme.
Plus, I've heard that the extra space may be used to hold a cartridge as
well, for games that will use both a cartridge and CD. Then, all your games
will at least be uniform, and they are making extra space for anything they
may want to include in the future.

--
Carl Mueller
Wayne State University