AvP on 32x?!

mnh...@acfcluster.nyu.edu

Nov 29, 1994, 12:42:30 AM11/29/94
Read in Egm that AvP is slated for the 32x (on account of the Atari/Sega
deal)... fantastic!

Ibsen, NYU

David Aldridge

Nov 29, 1994, 9:37:57 AM11/29/94

In a previous article, mnh...@ACFcluster.nyu.edu () says:

>Read in Egm that AvP is slated for the 32x (on account of the Atari/Sega
>deal)... fantastic!

I believe that the 32X AvP game will be based on the arcade game, not the
Jaguar one. The arcade version is mostly a side scrolling beat-em-up
where you can control one of two marines or one of two predators, and your
job is to de-infest an alien infested city.

Leigh A. Knowlton

Nov 29, 1994, 11:32:38 AM11/29/94
In a previous article, mnh...@ACFcluster.nyu.edu wrote:
> Read in Egm that AvP is slated for the 32x (on account of the Atari/Sega
> deal)... fantastic!

The arcade version (bleach). Nothing to get excited about.

--
Leigh A. Knowlton le...@titan.ucs.umass.edu __ __ __ __
-------------------------------------------------------- || /\ || //

Peter Kretschman

Nov 29, 1994, 4:24:45 PM11/29/94
In article <3bfl36$q...@nic.umass.edu>,

Leigh A. Knowlton <le...@twain.ucs.umass.edu> wrote:
>In a previous article, mnh...@ACFcluster.nyu.edu wrote:
>> Read in Egm that AvP is slated for the 32x (on account of the Atari/Sega
>> deal)... fantastic!
>
>The arcade version (bleach). Nothing to get excited about

WHAT?!?! Nothing to get excited about?!?!?!? It's only the best time
I've had at an arcade in years! FORGET the Jag version, I want this one!

As you can tell, I'm a MAJOR beat 'em up fan. Too bad the genre's on a
downswing at the moment (thanks to SFII and its ilk). Don't know why,
but I've played thru the arcade AvP about a dozen times and ya know
what? I still _love_ it!

-PK

Van Hoang Nguyen

Nov 29, 1994, 6:02:58 AM11/29/94
In article <3bg66t$d...@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> pkre...@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Peter Kretschman) writes:

>WHAT?!?! Nothing to get excited about?!?!?!? It's only the best time
>I've had at an arcade in years! FORGET the Jag version, I want this one!

>As you can tell, I'm a MAJOR beat 'em up fan. Too bad the genre's on a
>downswing at the moment (thanks to SFII and its ilk). Don't know why,
>but I've played thru the arcade AvP about a dozen times and ya know
>what? I still _love_ it!

Yup, that is one of the best (if not the best) walk'n'kill game to come out
yet. I finished that game at least half a dozen times... While it was
testing. When it came out for real...

But I wouldn't mind the Jag version either.

Van H. Nguyen
va...@ocf.berkeley.edu
University of California at Berkeley

"I know that fate is on my side. But that was too close."
Hattori Hanzo, Samurai Shodown
=======

Evan

Nov 29, 1994, 5:05:29 PM11/29/94
In article <3bg66t$d...@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> pkre...@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Peter Kretschman) writes:
>From: pkre...@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Peter Kretschman)
>Subject: Re: AvP on 32x?!
>Date: 29 Nov 1994 16:24:45 -0500

>In article <3bfl36$q...@nic.umass.edu>,
>Leigh A. Knowlton <le...@twain.ucs.umass.edu> wrote:
>>In a previous article, mnh...@ACFcluster.nyu.edu wrote:
>>> Read in Egm that AvP is slated for the 32x (on account of the Atari/Sega
>>> deal)... fantastic!
>>
>>The arcade version (bleach). Nothing to get excited about

>WHAT?!?! Nothing to get excited about?!?!?!? It's only the best time
>I've had at an arcade in years! FORGET the Jag version, I want this one!

Well, first of all, you had better forget the Jag version....the 32X
couldn't do it. Second, while I don't mind an occasional beat 'em up, I'd
much prefer to see the Jag AvP. While it's perhaps not objectively better,
because tastes differ...it's objectively better, know what I mean?

The ATO Psycho

Dec 3, 1994, 2:54:22 PM12/3/94
I thing that the 32X can do the Jag version and it can probabily
do it better (give it a higher frame rate, on the Jag, it is very
choppy).

--
The ATO Psycho
75234...@CompuServe.COM

I once thought that I was sane... what a crazy idea that was.

Marty Chinn

Dec 3, 1994, 3:44:26 PM12/3/94
The ATO Psycho (75234...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: I thing that the 32X can do the Jag version and it can probabily
: do it better (give it a higher frame rate, on the Jag, it is very
: choppy).

Do you seriously think so? It can't even handle Doom in full screen.
Compare Doom on both systems and with that in mind, I don't see any way
the 32X version of Jag AvP can be better than what is on the Jag.

: --
: The ATO Psycho
: 75234...@CompuServe.COM

: I once thought that I was sane... what a crazy idea that was.

Evan

Dec 2, 1994, 2:10:29 PM12/2/94
In article <3bqide$jdt$3...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com> The ATO Psycho <75234...@CompuServe.COM> writes:
>From: The ATO Psycho <75234...@CompuServe.COM>

>Subject: Re: AvP on 32x?!
>Date: 3 Dec 1994 19:54:22 GMT

>I thing that the 32X can do the Jag version and it can probabily
>do it better (give it a higher frame rate, on the Jag, it is very
>choppy).

>--

What??!!!! The 32X is NOT as powerful as the Jag, as is witnessed
by their respective Doom versions (it should be obvious anyway, but....), and
there is NO WAY that the 32X could do Aliens vs. Predator. To say that it
could do it better, is absurd, and not even worth commenting on.
AvP is "very choppy"??!!! You haven't played it.

David Aldridge

Dec 3, 1994, 3:58:26 PM12/3/94

In a previous article, 75234...@CompuServe.COM (The ATO Psycho) says:

>I thing that the 32X can do the Jag version and it can probabily
>do it better (give it a higher frame rate, on the Jag, it is very
>choppy).

I think that the 32X is much more powerful than the Genesis alone, and I
believe that it's capable of doing better than 32X DOOM if given the time
and effort. But saying that it's more powerful than the Jag is pushing
it a bit IMO.
If any of the future 32X games get the same effort put into them as titles
like GUNSTAR HEROES, the SONIC series or RISTAR though, it should be
impressive.

Evan

Dec 4, 1994, 11:13:32 AM12/4/94
In article <D0969...@freenet.carleton.ca> as...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (David Aldridge) writes:
>From: as...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (David Aldridge)

>Subject: Re: AvP on 32x?!
>Date: Sat, 3 Dec 1994 20:58:26 GMT

>In a previous article, 75234...@CompuServe.COM (The ATO Psycho) says:

>>I thing that the 32X can do the Jag version and it can probabily
>>do it better (give it a higher frame rate, on the Jag, it is very
>>choppy).

>I think that the 32X is much more powerful than the Genesis alone, and I
>believe that it's capable of doing better than 32X DOOM if given the time
>and effort. But saying that it's more powerful than the Jag is pushing
>it a bit IMO.

You're right. Not only is it pushing it a bit...it's pushing it a
LOT. The 32X isn't even a full-blown 32-bit system (remember it's just
sitting on top of the Sega), and the 3DO is more of a full 32-bit machine.
The Jaguar is a full 64-bit machine (anyone who disputes this, read the FAQ),
and is thus quite a few leaps ahead of the 32X. I know, I know, they need
more games for the Jag, but they'll come....

Felarca Mario M

Dec 5, 1994, 5:37:04 PM12/5/94
Evan_M...@brown.edu (Evan) writes:

Why isn't the 32X a true 32bit system? That surprises me considering you call
the Jag a true 64bit system. In fact, you could repackage the Genesis and 32X
together and it would be a new system. Actually, Sega is planning on doing
that. The 32X does sit on the Genny, but all it uses it for is some limited
co-processing. Much like the Jag and 3DO have various co-processors. The
main computation and graphics are handled by the two 32bit RISCS and the new
VDP, with the 68000 and the old VDP doing co-processing chores, and that is even
only if one decides to use them at all.

The biggest analogy I can think of is dealing with the power bas converter.
That shifted all the computation to the 8 bit processor, but it was still on top
of the Genny. So, is it not a full 8 bit system then? It does use the Genny
for limited co-processing as well. (The Z80 I think for audio purpoeses)

Just my $.02

Mario Felarca
mfel...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu
Senior Sales-SETC #943

.sig postponed until Robin defeats the Dark WIzard.

CElstn

Dec 6, 1994, 2:20:07 AM12/6/94
In article <Evan_Mullaney...@brown.edu>, Evan_M...@brown.edu
(Evan) writes:

Let's face it, even the Jag couldn't do it's version of AvP. It was a
little choppy but I didn't think it made that unenjoyable. Personally my
biggest complain with this game was the lack of sound. Sound effects were
far and few between and there was NO background music what-so-ever. And
when (forgive me for mentioning them) EGM gave their review of the game it
really didn't help much.
Carl Elston

Juan M. Gonzalez

Dec 6, 1994, 7:33:56 AM12/6/94
The use of atmospheric sound effects on Avp for the Jaguar set the mood of the game perfectly..what would you rather have...some boring repetitive music blaring from your speakers not allowing you to hear the screams from the aliens before they attack you, or have no music where you can hear any little sound??
Any person who truly plays the games for their entertainment value would vote for no music simply for the fact that music takes away so much from a game..sure, there are some games that need music..... to cover up many inconsistencies.... i won't mention any names, but all these ridiculour fighting games come to mind! :-)

I recently completed Avp (just last night....and I had it since day one!!) and I am not disappointed in it one bit.....for anyone who tries to put a verdict on Avp on just a little review in EGM (the worst source for gaming news....i'm glad that I stopped my subscription!), go out and give Avp a test drive....forget about all the little immature comments by games who live their lives on MK and SFII....just go in there not expecting anything.... i'll just give you a little hint: You will jump from your seat at the first scream from an Alien ready to claw you to your untimely death!! And more when you first encounter the Predator...and just think about your encounter with the Alien Queen!! Anyone who saw Aliens 2 would tell you that she is a BITCH!

I expect many flames (this being the sega group), and i'm ready for them..but if you really want to get in depth about my post, please email me as we dont' want to flood this group with these 'my system kicks butt over your system' arguments! And for any real gaming fans (ones who appreciate games for what they are..), feel free to email me on anything....

Now, let's find a way to get Nintendo out of the picture... hehe J/K

mr. b
--
Juan M Gonzalez (Atari Fanatic) ujmg...@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu/mrbu...@eworld.com
Atari Jaguar: The only system capable of running the tactical simulator

Evan

Dec 5, 1994, 6:14:13 AM12/5/94
In article <3c13b7$d...@newsbf01.news.aol.com> cel...@aol.com (CElstn) writes:
>From: cel...@aol.com (CElstn)

>Subject: Re: AvP on 32x?!
>Date: 6 Dec 1994 02:20:07 -0500

>In article <Evan_Mullaney...@brown.edu>, Evan_M...@brown.edu
>(Evan) writes:

>Let's face it, even the Jag couldn't do it's version of AvP.

What?! I think you're in the minority in thinking this....

>Personally my
>biggest complain with this game was the lack of sound. Sound effects were
>far and few between and there was NO background music what-so-ever.

Lack of music is something that most avid AvP players have come to
recognize as a good thing, not a fault. As for the sound effects, they are
VERY well done, and the fact that they are perhaps few and far between is what
makes AvP the only game I've ever played that has made me literally yell out
loud. The same philosophy that goes into a good horror movie went into AvP.

>when (forgive me for mentioning them) EGM gave their review of the game it
>really didn't help much.

It perhaps didn't help sales all that much (for those people who
actually think EGM is a reliable source....yeccchhh), but most everybody who
has played this game for any length of time considers it to be a masterpiece,
and also considers EGM's review as being definitive proof of their
unreliability. You know what the odds are of finding 4 people in a row that
don't like AvP? Slim to none. Anyway, EGM's review was dead wrong, and it
does not affect the game itself....

jua...@spcvxb.spc.edu

Dec 6, 1994, 11:06:16 AM12/6/94
In article <Evan_Mullaney...@brown.edu>, Evan_M...@brown.edu (Evan) writes:

I've played the Jag AvP and they should have gone after the Capcom version.
In the Jag, if you're either the Predator or marine, you can't avoid the acid
bursts that come at you or on the floor. As the Alien, you can't really do
much with what you have as weapons and you're always blown to bits before
you could do anything. Nice effects though, except when you're the predator
-than you can hardly see at all at what you're hunting for.

Thanks
Ned
St. Peter's College

JasonT

Dec 6, 1994, 3:30:12 PM12/6/94
In article <D0En7...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ae...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA
(Richard Horrigan) wrote:

> In a previous posting, CElstn (cel...@aol.com) writes:
> > In article <Evan_Mullaney...@brown.edu>, Evan_M...@brown.edu
> > (Evan) writes:
> >
> > Let's face it, even the Jag couldn't do it's version of AvP. It was a
> > little choppy but I didn't think it made that unenjoyable.
>

> What a joke! It's the smoothest game I and many other people I know
> have played on any system.

Give me a break!! AvP is not a little choppy, It's alot CHOPPY!!

If you think it's the smoothest game you have ever played on
any system then you must have only played two seytems in your
whole life. The Atari 2600 and now the Jag.

--
JasonT

Dr. Moze

Dec 6, 1994, 2:59:07 PM12/6/94
Evan_M...@brown.edu (Evan) writes:

> In article <3c13b7$d...@newsbf01.news.aol.com> cel...@aol.com (CElstn) writes:
> >From: cel...@aol.com (CElstn)
> >Subject: Re: AvP on 32x?!
> >Date: 6 Dec 1994 02:20:07 -0500
>
> >In article <Evan_Mullaney...@brown.edu>, Evan_M...@brown.edu
> >(Evan) writes:
>
> >Let's face it, even the Jag couldn't do it's version of AvP.
>
> What?! I think you're in the minority in thinking this....
>
> >Personally my
> >biggest complain with this game was the lack of sound. Sound effects were
> >far and few between and there was NO background music what-so-ever.

There is *no* lack of sound in AvP!!! Are you deaf? The game has
constant machinery and spaceship rumblings in the background. These
sound totally realistic and a subwoofer really brings out the on-ship
effect. Music in this game would be completely out of place. AvP is an
"interactive movie" and has allthe sounds you'd hear if you were really
in the scenario. I for one would *not* be cranking rockin' tunes if I
were in a ship overrun with Aliens and Predators!!! $^)

IMO, this game has the *best* sound effects of any I've played.

-- Dr. Moze <Steve Marsh> ma...@anvil.nrl.navy.mil

Richard Horrigan

Dec 6, 1994, 2:52:24 PM12/6/94
In a previous posting, CElstn (cel...@aol.com) writes:
> In article <Evan_Mullaney...@brown.edu>, Evan_M...@brown.edu
> (Evan) writes:
>
> Let's face it, even the Jag couldn't do it's version of AvP. It was a
> little choppy but I didn't think it made that unenjoyable.

What a joke! It's the smoothest game I and many other people I know
have played on any system.

Personally my

> biggest complain with this game was the lack of sound. Sound effects were
> far and few between and there was NO background music what-so-ever.

When you are walking down a corridor and you can hear the ship's turbines
working in the distance and suddenly an Alien comes out of nowhere
screaming and hissing at you......if you don't jump I'd be very surprised.

What would you rather hear dum,dum,dum-dum-da-da-dum,dum,dum...

And
> when (forgive me for mentioning them) EGM gave their review of the game it
> really didn't help much.
> Carl Elston

EGM.....AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLAY THE GAME!

--
Richard Horrigan Chart Amendment Section
ae...@freenet.carleton.ca Canadian Hydrographic Service.

Evan

Dec 5, 1994, 11:16:20 AM12/5/94
In article <1994Dec6...@spcvxb.spc.edu> jua...@spcvxb.spc.edu writes:
>From: jua...@spcvxb.spc.edu

>Subject: Re: AvP on 32x?!
>Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 16:06:16 GMT

I honestly don't think that you, like many people who
mysteriously complain about this game, have seen enough of the game to make an
honest appraisal. Do you have a Jaguar? To say that you would prefer
Capcom's version suggests not only that you belong to an extraordinarily small
minority, but that you have not played AvP long enough to understand the
point...

Evan

Dec 5, 1994, 11:29:15 AM12/5/94
In article <JasonT-0612...@jtomlinson1-mac.qualcomm.com> Jas...@qualcomm.com (JasonT) writes:
>From: Jas...@qualcomm.com (JasonT)

>Subject: Re: AvP on 32x?!
>Date: 6 Dec 1994 20:30:12 GMT

>--

The point, I think, was that given the high level of graphic detail
in AvP (something that the 32X could not HOPE to produce), the framerate is
quite sufficient. It is not choppy at all, but just appears to be if you go
into it expecting Doom. It IS NOT A DOOM CLONE!!! The speed of the marine
and predator is intentional....have you noticed how fast the alien moves??
Have you played the game? Do you own a Jag?

john emery ray

Dec 6, 1994, 5:41:41 PM12/6/94
"Evan" writes:
> The point, I think, was that given the high level of graphic detail
>in AvP (something that the 32X could not HOPE to produce), the framerate is
>quite sufficient. It is not choppy at all, but just appears to be if you go
>into it expecting Doom. It IS NOT A DOOM CLONE!!! The speed of the marine
>and predator is intentional....have you noticed how fast the alien moves??
>Have you played the game? Do you own a Jag?

Well, "Evan", I bought a Jaguar the week they were released last year. I
bought T2K the day it came out, and AvP the day it arrived. I also own a
3DO and 32X. I'm quite interested in where this "high level of graphic
detail is in AvP" and why, in your probably quite uninformed opinion, the
32X couldn't *HOPE* to reproduce it. With the arrival of Checkered Flag,
I hope I see hundreds of posts which discuss how the Jag couldn't HOPE to
reproduce something as good as Virtua Racing Deluxe... mind explaining
why CF falls way short of VRD? Do *YOU* own a 32X? If this great DETAIL
of AvP is the ability to apply a 16bit texture map to a Wolf-3D clone, I'd
say that the 32X has a pretty decent chance of pulling it off, and probably
with at least the same framerate.

For the record, I love AvP... but ignoring its problems is ridiculous, and
comparing systems based on stats that have yet to be proven, is foolish.

Sincerely,
John

--

***

Ross Mitchell

Dec 6, 1994, 3:59:15 AM12/6/94
The 32X is supposed to be getting the excellent arcade Final Fight style game from Capcom
called AvP.

This is nothing to do with the excellent first person 3D game on the Jaguar, also called AvP.

Ross

Evan

Dec 5, 1994, 7:16:40 PM12/5/94
In article <3c2pb6...@skink.cis.ohio-state.edu> jr...@cis.ohio-state.edu (john emery ray) writes:
>From: jr...@cis.ohio-state.edu (john emery ray)

>Subject: Re: AvP on 32x?!
>Date: 6 Dec 1994 17:41:41 -0500

>"Evan" writes:
>> The point, I think, was that given the high level of graphic detail
>>in AvP (something that the 32X could not HOPE to produce), the framerate is
>>quite sufficient. It is not choppy at all, but just appears to be if you go
>>into it expecting Doom. It IS NOT A DOOM CLONE!!! The speed of the marine
>>and predator is intentional....have you noticed how fast the alien moves??
>>Have you played the game? Do you own a Jag?

>Well, "Evan", I bought a Jaguar the week they were released last year. I
>bought T2K the day it came out, and AvP the day it arrived. I also own a
>3DO and 32X. I'm quite interested in where this "high level of graphic
>detail is in AvP" and why, in your probably quite uninformed opinion, the
>32X couldn't *HOPE* to reproduce it. With the arrival of Checkered Flag,
>I hope I see hundreds of posts which discuss how the Jag couldn't HOPE to
>reproduce something as good as Virtua Racing Deluxe... mind explaining
>why CF falls way short of VRD? Do *YOU* own a 32X? If this great DETAIL
>of AvP is the ability to apply a 16bit texture map to a Wolf-3D clone, I'd
>say that the 32X has a pretty decent chance of pulling it off, and probably
>with at least the same framerate.

My point is merely this: that there is no way that one could
possibly claim that the 32X is as powerful as the Jaguar. To do so is absurd.
Period. A 32X vs Jaguar thread, which this seems to have become, is
unfair from the start. I like Sega as much as anybody, but the 32X cannot be
compared to a 64-bit machine. Oh, and no, I doubt that I will buy a
32X. Why would I? I'll simply wait until the seemingly countless 64-bit
machines arrive....

john emery ray

Dec 7, 1994, 12:54:03 AM12/7/94
> My point is merely this: that there is no way that one could
>possibly claim that the 32X is as powerful as the Jaguar. To do so is absurd.
> Period. A 32X vs Jaguar thread, which this seems to have become, is
>unfair from the start. I like Sega as much as anybody, but the 32X cannot be
>compared to a 64-bit machine. Oh, and no, I doubt that I will buy a
>32X. Why would I? I'll simply wait until the seemingly countless 64-bit
>machines arrive....

Absurd... oh boy... you want to talk about ABSURD? ABSURD is someone,
such as yourself, making a statement which boils down to "There is no
way a 32bit system could be as powerful as a 64bit system." How many
processor design courses have you taken "Evan"? Would you like a few
questions on the subject to test your knowledge? Don't give me this
"period" crap buddy, I doubt you have any idea what you're talking about
besides what you've read on rec.gaves.video.atari. I try to avoid the
r.g.v.a group other than for game reviews due to the high amount of
propaganda which is seemingly spread thru the group. I, personally,
rather than touting a system's claimed stats, would rather take a look
at what the software manufacturers can make it do. 3 years from now,
I still can envision Jag. owners saying "well, its 64 bit, it can do that..."
as they watch some other machine do its business...

You are right, however, a 32X vs. Jaguar thread is unfair... The 32X is
quite likely to get far more games of a far greater variety than you can
expect from the Jaguar... In fact, in slightly more than a month, its
software library should be significantly larger than the Jaguar. Lets
see how far the Jaguar can ride on the big 'ol number 64.

--

***

Peter Kretschman

Dec 7, 1994, 4:15:46 PM12/7/94
In article <1994Dec6.0...@news.wrc.xerox.com>,

EXACTLY!

Now, could we please move this pointless discussion to .advocacy or
.atari? Unless someone out there wants to talk about the version that
_is_ coming to the 32X (the arcade, duh!)?

-PK

CElstn

Dec 9, 1994, 3:10:04 AM12/9/94
(Richard Horrigan) writes:

I have played the game and felt that it was a good game, but not a great
one.
Carl Elston

ryes...@googlemail.com

Apr 26, 2018, 6:48:11 AM4/26/18
On Tuesday, November 29, 1994 at 5:42:30 AM UTC, mnh...@acfcluster.nyu.edu wrote:
> Read in Egm that AvP is slated for the 32x (on account of the Atari/Sega
> deal)... fantastic!
>
> Ibsen, N

So how do we feel about it 18 years on. Anyone still active on here lol?

samskys...@gmail.com

May 12, 2018, 2:19:36 PM5/12/18
18... more like 24.

This makes me remember how badly I wanted thar 32x back in the day... now I'm not sure why...

Shinnokxz

May 15, 2018, 2:12:13 AM5/15/18
I actually just bought a copy of AvP for the Jaguar and it wasn't a bad game. Pretty dated these days. Recently picked up a copy of Kolibri for the 32X that I haven't had a chance to try

patrickl...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2018, 6:21:42 PM8/2/18
This post is much older than just 18 years. It's 24 years old! This post is old enough to drink and gamble.

justg...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2018, 5:04:35 PM10/2/18
Last post!

Usenet, the only place where comments are made in the right order (top to bottom).

Seriously, where is the moderator?!? And if this forum is unmoderated, how is there no spam?