Req: NFL QB Club Review (Saturn)

du...@pcnet.com

Jan 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/18/96

I read on the Tronix homepage that NFL QB Club is out! A review would be appreciated.

Todd <du...@pcnet.com>

S.K.

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
Here is the second review taken from the Sega Web site.

Again, I am not the author of this review, just the messenger.

Regards,
--sk

QB Club '96 on the Saturn is a major disappointment. I have
Madden '96 on the Genny, and Gameday on the PS, and this
game isn't as good as either.

First of all, it is far too easy. It boasts a lot of
different views, the majority of which are useless. At least
with Gameday, the passing game was realistic. In Gameday,
you must actually run the play the way it was designed or
you'll have it intercepted, but QB Club's passing is
extremely easy and unrealistic.

PS owners, this one is coming very soon to the PS, avoid it.

S.K.

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
Here is a brief review I found on the Sega Web. I'll also be posting
another review from the Sega site that was not so positive.

Please note that I am not the author of this review. Just passing on
the info.

Regards,
--sk

I got my copy from Video Game Exchange in Laurel Md (301-604-6447) for
59.99.
Here is a real quick review of the game. The intro is awesome one of
the best I have
seen! The voices are very good - they indicate first down, TD's etc.
- 12 players can play AT ONE TIME!
- You can choose between 4 different football fields to play in!
- You Substitute players for any POSITION.
- Players have real physical attributes and THEY GET TIRED
- The player movements and animation beat the HELL OUT of GAMEDAY
on the PSX
(however GAMEDAY is slightly more colorful- - but QBCLUB96 looks
better IHMO
- QBCLUB 96 is at least 40% faster than Gameday on the pSX
- The Game has about 45 different camera views - Including a
sideline coach view, that's to
low to the ground for me
- Passing is better than Gameday
- Play calling is more advanced than Gameday
- The Computer is smarter than Gameday
- You can create custom simulations and Historic one's

Bottomline QBclub 96 is a very good football it's more
exciting than Gameday - - - Hell I sold my copy of Gameday
to get QBclub 96 - - the Saturn version is really good!

Reggie

Todd Weible

Jan 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/20/96
S.K. wrote:

> Here is a brief review I found on the Sega Web. I'll also be posting
> another review from the Sega site that was not so positive.
>
> Please note that I am not the author of this review. Just passing on
> the info.

I realize this isn't yours, but I am going to add a few notes anyway for
people who may be interested!

> Regards,
> --sk
>
> I got my copy from Video Game Exchange in Laurel Md (301-604-6447) for
> 59.99.
> Here is a real quick review of the game. The intro is awesome one of
> the best I have
> seen! The voices are very good - they indicate first down, TD's etc.
> - 12 players can play AT ONE TIME!
> - You can choose between 4 different football fields to play in!
> - You Substitute players for any POSITION.
> - Players have real physical attributes and THEY GET TIRED
> - The player movements and animation beat the HELL OUT of GAMEDAY
> on the PSX
> (however GAMEDAY is slightly more colorful- - but QBCLUB96 looks
> better IHMO
> - QBCLUB 96 is at least 40% faster than Gameday on the pSX
> - The Game has about 45 different camera views - Including a
> sideline coach view, that's to
> low to the ground for me
> - Passing is better than Gameday
> - Play calling is more advanced than Gameday
> - The Computer is smarter than Gameday
> - You can create custom simulations and Historic one's

On the negative side:
- I can't tell who has the flippin' ball!! The person with the
ball isn't shown to have it and runs no differently with or without the
ball. This is very annoying. Other than this...a great game!

Jeff Novell

Jan 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/20/96
One more addition to the review --

It is VERY VERY EASY... Make that, 100% likely, that one can fake a
field goal against the computer, throw a lob pass to the left
corner, and get at least 20 yards out of it. In my first game
(Philly v. Tampa Bay), I did it twice and the computer (bastard...
who I got the idea from in the first place) burnt me once.

3 TDs on what shoulda been 3 FGs. This isn't good. Just have to
refrain from faking FGs against the computer.

Awesome game, though. Computer AI isn't the best on offense,b ut
is good on defense. I'd recommend it... especially since Madden
isn't comping out anytime soon.

Jeff

James Bright

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96
Jeff Novell wrote:

> One more addition to the review --

And one more :)

Up to 12 people can play at one time. I think that's pretty
impressive -- but I'm not about to drop over $300 in
controllers :)

It's got it's good points -- graphics are okay, but not 32bit
quality.

I personally don't like the passing technique. Too confusing -- the
way the control is set up to call up your receivers, and then
pass the ball. Unfortunately, you can't adjust the button controls.
Also, the documentation was the worst -- I ended up just playing
and trying to figure out how to play. Aklaim, if you're listening,
hire some real technical writers. (this was the first football
game I've had since the original Atari days, so I needed to have
a lot explained in the manual. It was poorly organized, as when I
did look around in the manual I could always find what I was looking
for -- eventually)

--James

Dennito

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
Try playing QB Club with more than one player it is loads of fun!!!!
The most i have played with is 4 but I getting ready for Super Sunday
and buying another controller! Pittsburgh RULES!!!!!!!!
C-YA
Toolman