US Rayearth Names (Last chance)

Victor Ireland

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

The names for the three lead characters of the US version of Rayearth are
about to be finalized (that is, recording is starting on their parts soon,
and since they have so much, once theirs are on tape, there's no going
back).

Fuu and Hikaru are changing. Umi will remain unchanged. I won't say
what our front runners are, so as not to bias the suggestions and/or
infuriate/titilate hard core fans unnecessarily.

The only guidelines are as follows:
1.
Fuu's English name MUST suggest wind or air (i.e. Wind Goddess names, or
a name that directly suggests wind or air) and Hikaru's new name MUST
suggest Fire or Flame.

2.
Fuu's name can be a MAXIMUM of TWO syllables, and a minimum of one.
Hikaru's can be up to THREE, but a minimum of one.

3.
The new names must be easy to pronounce. Please no "Anemone" (one of the
names of the ill-fated US version of the series - I don't know what crack
they were smoking when they thought that one up, but it's pronounced like
"An Enemy!" - ridiculous)

I'm all ears to your public suggestions here. Remember, if you don't
drop yours, you forfeit your right to moan if you don't like the new
names.

DBTH - Vic

christian gadeken,

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Continued from last post....

Hikaru: Why change it at all? This is probably the easiest for
English speakers to pronounce. Just have her say she was named
after Mr Sulu. :-)

Anyway, female names suggesting Fire or Light...

Eos, goddess of Dawn, or Iris, goddess of the rainbow.

There was a Greek goddess of the hearth, but I don't remember
her name...Hebe?

Amaterasu would be perfect, but it's too long.

Freya. Fire was one of her talents.

Surya. Indian sun god.

Helios? Or maybe Helia as a feminine form?

Phoenix. To bring the X-men fans running.

Girru. Babylonian fire god.

Let me think about it. Oh, I realize that some of these, and some
of the ones I suggested for Fuu in the other post, are pretty odd.
The thing is, "Fuu" and "Umi" are pretty odd names in Japanese.

Also, Hikaru's second-level spell is "Crimson Lightning." So you
might take that into account, too.

--

Christian Gadeken cmg0...@bayou.uh.edu

SAILOR DOUBLE SUPER CRYING ATTACK!!!!!

Zoloat

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

>Fuu's name can be a MAXIMUM of TWO syllables, and a minimum of one.
>Hikaru's can be up to THREE, but a minimum of one.

'minimum of one'? Damn it, that rules out all those zero syllabled names I
had in mind ;)

Fuu: Zephyr
Hikaru: Ember (pronounce it 'Amber')

It's hard to think when I don't even know anything about the characters,
but them's my (my wifes) suggestions. I still like the Japanese names
better!

>I'm all ears to your public suggestions here. Remember, if you don't
>drop yours, you forfeit your right to moan if you don't like the new
>names.

robert

christian gadeken,

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

In article <4pj1am$u...@usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>,

Victor Ireland <SMR...@prodigy.com> wrote:
>The names for the three lead characters of the US version of Rayearth are
>about to be finalized (that is, recording is starting on their parts soon,
> and since they have so much, once theirs are on tape, there's no going
>back).
>
>Fuu and Hikaru are changing. Umi will remain unchanged. I won't say
>what our front runners are, so as not to bias the suggestions and/or
>infuriate/titilate hard core fans unnecessarily.
>
>The only guidelines are as follows:
>1.
>Fuu's English name MUST suggest wind or air (i.e. Wind Goddess names, or
>a name that directly suggests wind or air) and Hikaru's new name MUST
>suggest Fire or Flame.

WRONG. Not Fire; Hikaru means *Light*. Get your facts straight
before you open your trap, Vic.

>Fuu's name can be a MAXIMUM of TWO syllables, and a minimum of one.
>Hikaru's can be up to THREE, but a minimum of one.

Okay. Fuu: Zephyr, Alicia(Houston in-joke), Ventus, Gust,
Swift, Kestrel, FengPo, Tefnut, Marut.

Er, hang on....more later.

William Barnes

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article <4pktnd$c...@Bayou.UH.EDU>, cmg0...@Bayou.UH.EDU (christian gadeken,) wrote:
>In article <4pj1am$u...@usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>,
>Victor Ireland <SMR...@prodigy.com> wrote:
>>Fuu's English name MUST suggest wind or air (i.e. Wind Goddess names, or
>>a name that directly suggests wind or air) and Hikaru's new name MUST
>>suggest Fire or Flame.
>WRONG. Not Fire; Hikaru means *Light*. Get your facts straight
>before you open your trap, Vic.

Ummm, Christian? Try decaf tomorrow, pal. 8-> He said that Hikaru's new
English name is supposed to be suggestive of fire or flame (appropriate, given
her powers), *not* that Hikaru means fire or flame. He wasn't defining her
original name, he was telling people what her new name should mean.

-------------
William Barnes wba...@mhcec.com mins...@earthlink.net
Technical Editor, McGraw-Hill Continuing Education Center

Victor Ireland

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

>>Fuu's English name MUST suggest wind or air (i.e. Wind Goddess names,
or
>>a name that directly suggests wind or air) and Hikaru's new name MUST
>>suggest Fire or Flame.
>>

>WRONG. Not Fire; Hikaru means *Light*. Get your facts straight
>before you open your trap, Vic.

Uh, how 'bout you put on your reading glasses and get the facts straight
before you open YOUR trap.

I didn't say Hikaru MEANT "Fire." I said her name must SUGGEST fire.
This is because she wields a flame-like spell, and has red hair, to boot.
Sorry this innocent guideline offended your obviously superior intellect,
but it pretty much soured me on reading the rest of your post. Manners
are everything.

DBTH - Vic

Lord of deXness

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article <4pl273$3...@Bayou.UH.EDU> cmg0...@Bayou.UH.EDU (christian gadeken,) writes:
>Continued from last post....
>
>Hikaru: Why change it at all? This is probably the easiest for
>English speakers to pronounce. Just have her say she was named
>after Mr Sulu. :-)
>
>Anyway, female names suggesting Fire or Light...
>
>There was a Greek goddess of the hearth, but I don't remember
>her name...Hebe?

Hestia, IIRC.

deX!

Torajima

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

People wrote:

> >WRONG. Not Fire; Hikaru means *Light*. Get your facts straight
> >before you open your trap, Vic.
>
> Uh, how 'bout you put on your reading glasses and get the facts straight
> before you open YOUR trap.
>
> I didn't say Hikaru MEANT "Fire." I said her name must SUGGEST fire.
> This is because she wields a flame-like spell, and has red hair, to boot.

Yup. Vic is right. Even the Kanji suggests fire.

The Kanji means "rays of light" and was originally taken from the Chinese
charcter for the Sun. The sun is, of course, one big ball of fire....

Torajima

S.L.A.

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

christian gadeken, (cmg0...@Bayou.UH.EDU) wrote:

: WRONG. Not Fire; Hikaru means *Light*. Get your facts straight
: before you open your trap, Vic.

Really nice, aren't we? Switch to decaf (or, even better, spring water).

-S.A.

Douglas Leonard

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

Victor Ireland wrote:

> Thanks to all who have given suggestions, most via E-mail. Actually, I'd
> prefer public replies on this thread in order to fire
> discussion/creativity.
>
> FYI, the frontrunners are:
>
> Hikaru - Blaze (this was our internal frontrunner before this thread
> started, too!)
> Blaze is nice, but I'm really debating the lack of a second syllable.
> Going from 3 (Hikaru) to 1 (Blaze).
>
> Fuu - Ariel, Gale (Gail). (Our in-house frontrunner has yet to be
> suggested).
>
> Anyway, thanks to all so far, and keep the suggestions flying.
> I'd say keep the Japanese names. It annoys me when in video games, anime,
or manga the translated American version is not true to the Japanese
version. What's in a name? An extra way to confuse people. It's like when
Capcom changed Gouki to Akuma, or swapped Balrog, M. Bison, and Vega. It
leads to confusion among the international gamers. I realize that this ends
up being a small percentage of the target market, but really, why bother to
change the names? Why not just translate the kanji for the names into
romanization?

<DL>

Robert L Cupples

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

In article <4pj1am$u...@usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>,
Victor Ireland <SMR...@prodigy.com> wrote:
>The names for the three lead characters of the US version of Rayearth are
>about to be finalized (that is, recording is starting on their parts soon,
> and since they have so much, once theirs are on tape, there's no going
>back).
>
>Fuu and Hikaru are changing. Umi will remain unchanged. I won't say
>what our front runners are, so as not to bias the suggestions and/or
>infuriate/titilate hard core fans unnecessarily.
>
>The only guidelines are as follows:
>1.
>Fuu's English name MUST suggest wind or air (i.e. Wind Goddess names, or
>a name that directly suggests wind or air) and Hikaru's new name MUST
>suggest Fire or Flame.
>
>2.

>Fuu's name can be a MAXIMUM of TWO syllables, and a minimum of one.
>Hikaru's can be up to THREE, but a minimum of one.
>
>3.
>The new names must be easy to pronounce. Please no "Anemone" (one of the
>names of the ill-fated US version of the series - I don't know what crack
>they were smoking when they thought that one up, but it's pronounced like
>"An Enemy!" - ridiculous)
>
>I'm all ears to your public suggestions here. Remember, if you don't
>drop yours, you forfeit your right to moan if you don't like the new
>names.

Well my suggestion breaks the rules. I've watched a few fansubbed
copies. I disliked the names Fuu and Umi so much that I told myself
they were really saying Sue and Amy respectively. Yeah I know, dull,
unimaginative, and not suggesting much of anything. I really like
Hikaru but if I had to change her, I'd make her an Irish lass with
firey red hair: Heather.

I'll duck the flying vegtables now. :)

--
Rob Cupples-...@iastate.edu Front 242--Ministry--NIN

Doug Kern

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Okay, let me try:

Fuu:
Slypha (a type of air farrie), Nike (Greek Goddess of victory, had wings)
Tempest, Gale, Frigga(Norse Goddess, Odin's wife) Ukka (Female name
version of the Finnish God of Air) Tefnut(Egyptian goddess of storms),
Thundra, Wispia.

Hikaru:
Pyrra, Incinra, Prisma, Eos, Polaris, Ashley, Cindra.

--
Doug Kern
dke...@mai.idt.net

Victor Ireland

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

>Hikaru but if I had to change her, I'd make her an Irish lass with
>firey red hair: Heather.

I smell a wee bit o' Irish butt kissin'. Really, I'm only an
Irish/German muttley, though your suggestion is endearing. :)

DBTH - Vic

Victor Ireland

William Geiger

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

>I smell a wee bit o' Irish butt kissin'. Really, I'm only an
>Irish/German muttley, though your suggestion is endearing. :)
>

> DBTH - Vic

Fuu's new name could be Laputa, after the anime Laputa:castle in the Sky

Seperated at birth?

Hikaru-Chan:"Happy! Happy! Lucky! Lucky!"
Stimpy-kun:"Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!"

Greg Sewart

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Douglas Leonard wrote:
> > I'd say keep the Japanese names. It annoys me when in video games, anime,
> or manga the translated American version is not true to the Japanese
> version. What's in a name? An extra way to confuse people. It's like when
> Capcom changed Gouki to Akuma, or swapped Balrog, M. Bison, and Vega. It
> leads to confusion among the international gamers. I realize that this ends
> up being a small percentage of the target market, but really, why bother to
> change the names? Why not just translate the kanji for the names into
> romanization?
>
> <DL>

Vic explained in his original post that the u at the end of Hikaru was
slowint the English voice actors down, and that these names just sounded
like Japanese names inserted into an english sentence. This is not a
flame, just letting youknow the earlier information.

Greg

Charles Vance / Lisa Connelly

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

On 14 Jun 1996, William Geiger wrote:

> Fuu's new name could be Laputa, after the anime Laputa:castle in the Sky

It's been awhile, but isn't "Laputa" from _Gulliver's Travels_, where the
name was meant to conjure images of the Spanish word for whore ("la
puta")? It might be risky, but I suppose it may depend on what sort of
personality Fuu has...

Charles

Adam

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Just curious, why must the names be changed at all? Just to sound more
Americanized?

--
Adam Vernon. "I could sell my soul to the devil,
gar...@wam.umd.edu But he'd want his money back." - LC

William Geiger

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

>Thank you for my laugh of the day. Making Fuu's name suggest that she
is
>a whore is too funny for words (though totally not-gonna-happen).
>Besides, whore or not, she doesn't LOOK like a Laputa. :)
>

> DBTH - Vic

DRAT!! I was hoping it would be choosen then I could spring it on you
after
the game came out 8)

Victor Ireland

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

>> Fuu's new name could be Laputa, after the anime Laputa:castle in the
Sky

>It's been awhile, but isn't "Laputa" from _Gulliver's Travels_, where
the
>name was meant to conjure images of the Spanish word for whore ("la
>puta")? It might be risky, but I suppose it may depend on what sort of

>personality Fuu has...
>

>Charles

Thank you for my laugh of the day. Making Fuu's name suggest that she is

S.L.A.

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

William Geiger (PHP...@prodigy.com) wrote:

: Fuu's new name could be Laputa, after the anime Laputa:castle in the Sky

ROFL!!!

"La Puta" means "whore" in Spanish. This is a Working Designs, not a
MegaTech game that we are talking about :-)

BTW, the name "Laputa" was intentional, at least in Jonathan Swift's
original.

-S.A.

Jason

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

SMR...@prodigy.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:

>The names for the three lead characters of the US version of Rayearth are
>about to be finalized (that is, recording is starting on their parts soon,
> and since they have so much, once theirs are on tape, there's no going
>back).
>
>Fuu and Hikaru are changing. Umi will remain unchanged. I won't say
>what our front runners are, so as not to bias the suggestions and/or
>infuriate/titilate hard core fans unnecessarily.

Vic, I know this is a dead horse issue by now (even with Matt and I;
Yeah, I don't give up without a fight), but I must do my part. If you
wish, feel free to ignore me from here on out.

FINAL PLEA:

For the record, I'm not totally against name changes. I only agree
with them when they are REALLY necessary (ie pronunciation, etc; Alex
in Lunar comes to mind). But here, the name pronunciation is not a
problem (you stated so yourself in another post). IMHO, there is
NOTHING wrong with a name sounding Japanese, as these characters
originally -live in Japan- (before being summoned). It's just part of
the story.

In most (if not all) games that come from Japan, companies change
most Japanese names (even if they are based from Anime/Manga, which is
the target audience) for the American market. All of this, IMHO is
done with the assumption that this is "a Japanese game being ported
for an American audience." This assumption suggest that the American
audience will not comprehend/understand/grasp/etc the Japanese name
(even with explanation), will not approve of it, and thus change it on
a whim. Since this practice continues un-noticed by the average
gamer, you/we may never know (via feedback) if the American audience
is ready for Rayearth (or other games for that matter) in an...
'unmolested' form, pleasing both the fans and average gamer.

How many people have you heard talking about how they are dying for
Rayearth to come out? This would be the perfect 'true' test to see if
the WD's audience is ready for "Prime Time Translation". In either
case (worse or best case) you're going to get lots of feedback on what
everyone (not just Internet folk) thinks about name translation.
Pessimisticly, I can't see how leaving the names unchanged, even if
they will turn out unpopular, will hurt sales in such a wide manner.

I can go on Vic, but I won't bother. You've heard it, I've said it.
This is the crossroads and things are up to you now.

>I'm all ears to your public suggestions here.

Since the chances of you staying with the original names, *PLEASE*
do the following. In the translation notes, **PLEASE** tell the gamer
the ORIGINAL names and that you need feedback as to if you are doing
the right thing in changing them (Anime style->US style). This
(names, etc), IMHO, is something that needs to be resolved.

>Remember, if you don't drop yours, you forfeit your right to moan
>if you don't like the new names.

Choose or Lose, eh? Hmm... WD News.... You hear it.... First.
<shudder>
-- Jason
----------------+--------------------------------------------------
Prismatic Dragon| "Never take anything seriously that uses the term
-=[UDIC]=- | "Information Superhighway". Or, for that matter,
----------------+ uses "cyber"-anything. OR that shows an AOL chat
room and says "Here, on The Internet..."" -E
The LUNAR Outpost -> http://www.primenet.com/~jhill/outpost/

Douglas Leonard

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Greg Sewart wrote:
> Vic explained in his original post that the u at the end of Hikaru was
> slowint the English voice actors down, and that these names just sounded
> like Japanese names inserted into an english sentence. This is not a
> flame, just letting youknow the earlier information.

Sorry,
Must have missed that one.

<DL>

Lagi

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

SMR...@prodigy.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:

>>> Fuu's new name could be Laputa, after the anime Laputa:castle in the
>Sky
>>>

>>It's been awhile, but isn't "Laputa" from _Gulliver's Travels_, where
>the
>>name was meant to conjure images of the Spanish word for whore ("la
>>puta")? It might be risky, but I suppose it may depend on what sort of

>>personality Fuu has...
>>

>>Charles

>Thank you for my laugh of the day. Making Fuu's name suggest that she is
>a whore is too funny for words (though totally not-gonna-happen).
>Besides, whore or not, she doesn't LOOK like a Laputa. :)

> DBTH - Vic

Actually "puta" doesn't mean whore in Spanish, it means bitch... Thats
something you might not have known!
Lagi
The above post is the opinion of the poster unless otherwise stated.
Top 3 videogames
1.NBA Action
2.Mario RPG
3.GH

Anh Lai

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

In article <4pqt52$q...@usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>, SMR...@prodigy.com
says...

>Thanks to all who have given suggestions, most via E-mail. Actually, I'd
>prefer public replies on this thread in order to fire
>discussion/creativity.
>
>FYI, the frontrunners are:
>
>Hikaru - Blaze (this was our internal frontrunner before this thread
>started, too!)
>Blaze is nice, but I'm really debating the lack of a second syllable.

PLEASE!!!!, do NOT pick Blaze. Sorry, it just sounds sooooo bland
and typical (ain't the babe in Streets of Rage also Blaze? (boo hiss hiss)).
Unfortunately I don't have too much suggestions myself but how 'bout Fyra, or
Phyra? Or perhaps you can still keep it Japnese-ish by looking for Japnese
fire-related words and using the romanji form?

>Fuu - Ariel, Gale (Gail). (Our in-house frontrunner has yet to be
>suggested).

Hmmm, I don't like neither either; again, both being too common and
bland. Someone mentioned Wispia which I think sounds nice though a tad out
of context for the character.
Breeze -> Breze -> Bris -> ... ????
Wind -> Wynd -> Whynd -> Whyn ... ????

Anywho, those are my shots at it for now (pretty horrible huh?).
When is the deadline anyway?

David Aldridge

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

Charles Vance / Lisa Connelly (vanc...@acpub.duke.edu) writes:

> On 14 Jun 1996, William Geiger wrote:
>> Fuu's new name could be Laputa, after the anime Laputa:castle in the Sky
>>
> It's been awhile, but isn't "Laputa" from _Gulliver's Travels_, where the
> name was meant to conjure images of the Spanish word for whore ("la
> puta")? It might be risky, but I suppose it may depend on what sort of
> personality Fuu has...

I believe Mark Twain wrote "Gulliver's Travels" as a stab at the British,
since the story was already known by many of them and he had a grudge
against a British writer. (Something like that I think. My memory is a
bit hazy on the matter.)
As for Fu, she's probably the nerdiest of the three. (Hikaru has the
most spunk, and Umi comes from a regal school for the wealthy.) Her weapon
is the bow and arrow, and besides having the magic of wind she is also the
member of the trio with heal/revive magic.

Victor Ireland

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

> PLEASE!!!!, do NOT pick Blaze. Sorry, it just sounds sooooo bland
>and typical (ain't the babe in Streets of Rage also Blaze? (boo hiss
hiss)).
>Unfortunately I don't have too much suggestions myself but how 'bout
Fyra, or
>Phyra?

That's the point. It's easy to criticize choices after the fact. It's
much harder to actually come up with names that actually FIT the
characters and work in the context of the ENGLISH translation. Blaze may
be generic and plain, but it DOES fit her character quite well. Again,
so far, the front runner in-house and suggestion-wise, but I am ALL ears
for names that fit even better.

> Anywho, those are my shots at it for now (pretty horrible huh?).
>When is the deadline anyway?

Deadline is very soon. It may be as early as next week.

DBTH - Vic

James Arguello

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

Wow this is so cool! I mean we net surfers are actually helping a guy who
runs a company that transtlates really cool games from Japan and sells
them in the US!! This is so exciting!!! I think I'm going to pee in my
pants!!! Hee hee hee!!!

Sorry for getting a little carried away guys. Here are my ideas for the
Rayearth name changes. If you do except one of them or someone elses will
you put them in the special thanks part of the credits for the game?? Or
you can say and thanks to all usenet people in
rec.games.video.sega(except trolls). Oh and withoput any other delay here
are my name ideas.

Hikaru: Firreka
Fuu: Ariela

Yeah I don't think they are too great(in my opinion)but please don't use
Blaze!! Look at the new name for Mystaria!!! Blazing Heroes??!?!? Gimme a
break!!!

S.L.A.

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

Victor Ireland (SMR...@prodigy.com) wrote:

: FYI, the frontrunners are:

: Hikaru - Blaze (this was our internal frontrunner before this thread
: started, too!)

Blaze sounds good...

: Blaze is nice, but I'm really debating the lack of a second syllable.
: Going from 3 (Hikaru) to 1 (Blaze).

: Fuu - Ariel, Gale (Gail). (Our in-house frontrunner has yet to be
: suggested).

On the other hand, these two don't (at least to me)...

Doug Erickson

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

shim...@world.std.com (S.L.A.) writes:

>Victor Ireland (SMR...@prodigy.com) wrote:

: FYI, the frontrunners are:

: Hikaru - Blaze (this was our internal frontrunner before this thread
: started, too!)

Hm. Sounds WAY too much like Streets of Rage for my liking. I'll
have to think on this one - perhaps "Ember" something. Lemme consult the
Big Book O' Mythology and get back to you. I'm sure I can dig up a decent
name under Rosicrucian mythos.

: Blaze is nice, but I'm really debating the lack of a second syllable.
: Going from 3 (Hikaru) to 1 (Blaze).

: Fuu - Ariel, Gale (Gail). (Our in-house frontrunner has yet to be
: suggested).

How about from Middle English - "Mistral" - meaning "a fearsome gust?"
It has a bit of a feminine lilt to it, and is apropos given the character.

-----
Douglas L. Erickson - CS/English Major and ECN Stoogeboy -- Vajra On Ahk!
Mail: dou...@mailhost.ecn.ou.edu URL: http://www.ecn.ou.edu/~douglas
Disclaimer: ECN does not endorse the rabid blathering I call my opinions.
"I used to be a loser-in-denial, too, until the lacrosse team shoved a
parking cone up my ass." -- _Billy Madison_

William Geiger

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

>>Victor Ireland (SMR...@prodigy.com) wrote:
>
>: FYI, the frontrunners are:
>
>: Hikaru - Blaze (this was our internal frontrunner before this thread
>: started, too!)

Here are some names for Hikaru. They all have some reference to light
(In different languages)

Audrey,Belinda,Celia,Delia,Elenor,Lucille,Lucinda

Matthew Stanton

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

>Victor Ireland (SMR...@prodigy.com) wrote:
>
>: FYI, the frontrunners are:
>
>: Hikaru - Blaze (this was our internal frontrunner before this thread
>: started, too!)

Ok, I caught part of the rules. But wasn't sure which "elementals"
were being used (Fire, Air, Light). SO I thought of all three.

The character for FIRE: Tori (short for torridity, which means heat,
fire)
The character for AIR: Melody (Like a breeze)
The character for LIGHT: Blanche (Means like a light color)

The thing about these names is that they all have somekind of a
"hidden" meaning, yet, they are actual names.

How bout it, Vic? :) Heh.

Matt Stanton

Scott Baker

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

SMR...@prodigy.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:

>1.
>Fuu's English name MUST suggest wind or air (i.e. Wind Goddess names, or
>a name that directly suggests wind or air) and Hikaru's new name MUST
>suggest Fire or Flame.
>2.
>Fuu's name can be a MAXIMUM of TWO syllables, and a minimum of one.
>Hikaru's can be up to THREE, but a minimum of one.

Fuu; Robin, Breeze, Zephyr, Rainbow.

Hikaru; Cinnamon.

Mr. Yotsuya

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

mst...@ix.netcom.com(Matthew Stanton) wrote:

>The character for FIRE: Tori (short for torridity, which means heat,
>fire)

I think FIO might be a good name for Hikaru.

Ja Ne,

Bart Bonneau,the Yotsuya fan
Yot...@mindlink.bc.ca

christian gadeken,

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

In article <4pqt52$q...@usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>,

Victor Ireland <SMR...@prodigy.com> wrote:
>Thanks to all who have given suggestions, most via E-mail. Actually, I'd
>prefer public replies on this thread in order to fire
>discussion/creativity.
>
>FYI, the frontrunners are:
>
>Hikaru - Blaze (this was our internal frontrunner before this thread
>started, too!)
>Blaze is nice, but I'm really debating the lack of a second syllable.
>Going from 3 (Hikaru) to 1 (Blaze).

Yes and no. "Hikaru" is three *short* syllables; Most Japanese
syllables are short. "Blaze" is one syllable, but it's a
LOOOOOOOOOOOONG syllable. I think the timing will work out
about right.

Anyway, put my vote down for Blaze; It sounds more appropriate
than anything else I've heard(or suggested...sigh).

On the other hand, I still think you're wrong to limit yourselves
to "fire" names. Her name DOES mean "light;" Although I believe
the other fellow was correct about the origins of the kanji; her
second attack is "crimson lightning."

On the third hand(?) I can't think of any really good "light"
names("Lucinda" doesn't quite cut it and "Celes" is taken(Pity
there's no Earth-user you could call Terra--Er, never mind)).
So I guess it's a moot point.

>Fuu - Ariel, Gale (Gail). (Our in-house frontrunner has yet to be
>suggested).

Gale/Gail sounds good. I saw someone else suggest "Mistral,"
is that the frontrunner you meant?

Has it ocurred to you that you;ve sort of reversed your problem?
As it stands now, MKR will have three heroes: Blaze, Gale, and---Umi.
I can almost hear a chorus of "HUH?"s from six months
in the future.....

--

Christian Gadeken cmg0...@bayou.uh.edu

SAILOR DOUBLE SUPER CRYING ATTACK!!!!!

Kenneth Arromdee

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

In article <4pktnd$c...@Bayou.UH.EDU>,
christian gadeken, <cmg0...@Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
>WRONG. Not Fire; Hikaru means *Light*. Get your facts straight
>before you open your trap, Vic.

Lucy.

(The Kodansha site used 'Luce', which is sillier since it's a lot less normal
as a name.)
--
Ken Arromdee (arro...@jyusenkyou.cs.jhu.edu, karr...@nyx.cs.du.edu;
http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~arromdee)

"Kermit the Pig?!?!?!?!" -- The Muppet Show

Kenneth Arromdee

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

In article <Edina1996Jun1...@news3.idirect.com.compulink.com>,

Anh Lai <a...@idirect.com> wrote:
> Hmmm, I don't like neither either; again, both being too common and
>bland. Someone mentioned Wispia which I think sounds nice though a tad out
>of context for the character.
> Breeze -> Breze -> Bris -> ... ????
> Wind -> Wynd -> Whynd -> Whyn ... ????

Wendy. (I believe that this was Vic's idea from before, anyway). And Lucy
for Hikaru.

Lauren Nicolo

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

In article <4pj1am$u...@usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>,

SMR...@prodigy.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:
>The names for the three lead characters of the US version of Rayearth are
>about to be finalized (that is, recording is starting on their parts soon,
> and since they have so much, once theirs are on tape, there's no going
>back).
>
>Fuu and Hikaru are changing. Umi will remain unchanged. I won't say
>what our front runners are, so as not to bias the suggestions and/or
>infuriate/titilate hard core fans unnecessarily.
<snip>

Since you're changing the names, does this mean you're changing the fact
that the game starts out in Tokyo? And what about their last names (Shidou,
Ryuuzaki, Hououji). What are you going to do with the -chan's and -san's?
The way they're used most of the time, there's really no proper English
equivalent. -San could be be translated as Mr. or Mrs. for some charcters
(Presia, Caldina, Lafarga, etc.) but with some characters it wouldn't work
with others. "Ms. Hikaru" and "Ms. Umi" sound too formal. Since you're
changing the names, will you explain what the names originally were in the
translation notes (along with any other changes)?

Personally, I would like to see the names remain intact. I think they fit
the characters very well. But since that's probably not going to happen,
I think Wendy would be a good name for Fuu, like you suggested before.
I can't think of any names that would fit Hikaru, though.

>Please no "Anemone" (one of the
>names of the ill-fated US version of the series - I don't know what crack
>they were smoking when they thought that one up, but it's pronounced like
>"An Enemy!" - ridiculous)

The names on Kodansha's page sound rather French, so maybe they were planning
to pass off Tokyo Tower as the Eiffel Tower. (But since when is the Eiffel
Tower painted red and white? ^_^;)

Anyway, thanks for considering suggestions from us fans, it really means alot.
And sorry for so many questions. ^_^

---
Ucchan - pas...@ix.netcom.com
-Takahashi*CLAMP*Fujishima*Sonoda*Takada-
-Shirow*Mikimoto*Kotobuki*Yuuki*Sadamoto-

Ucchan's Homepage:
http://tsunami.anime.net/ukyou/

Magic Knight Rayearth homepage:
http://tsunami.anime.net/ukyou/rayearth

RpgBandit

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

Personally I hate when names change! For once can somebody bring a
PERFECTLY intact copy of a game here?! I know Vic said that the "u" in
Hikaru was screwin' the actors up and all but the names sound good!! They
don't sound like Japanese names in english sentences, they sound like
names in sentences, period. If you really have to change names, PLEASE
Vic, keep 'em close to the original. Name changes in games make me feel
that the game is "broken" somehow.

P.S. The only good name change in an RPG was Square's Mash-to-Sabin.
"Mash"?!?! What the ?!?!

P.P.S You said you wanted names to mean "fire" and "wind" so why not get
another Japanese name that means those, you know, those old archiac words.

Victor Ireland

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

>Since you're changing the names, does this mean you're changing the
fact
>that the game starts out in Tokyo? And what about their last names
(Shidou,
>Ryuuzaki, Hououji).

We'll probably skip the last names entirely and avoid the whole problem.
the only place where it is even remotely relevant is in the game manual,
and first names have worked pretty well for most of our other
translations.

> What are you going to do with the -chan's and -san's?
>The way they're used most of the time, there's really no proper English
>equivalent. -San could be be translated as Mr. or Mrs. for some
charcters
>(Presia, Caldina, Lafarga, etc.) but with some characters it wouldn't
work
>with others. "Ms. Hikaru" and "Ms. Umi" sound too formal.

Well, since "-san" is an honorific, we'll write the text around to
reflect that, when appropriate. I will say that "-san" is used a LOT
more in Japanese than would be appropriate for everyday English. As for
"-chan", since that's an affectionate suffix, we'll adjust the
surrounding text appropriately. I will say that this game will NOT sound
like a dub of a Japanese game when we're done, as is the goal with all
our games.

>Since you're
>changing the names, will you explain what the names originally were in
the
>translation notes (along with any other changes)?

We'll probably touch on it, but since the notes haven't been written yet,
I can't say how heavily.

Scott Baker

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

Hikaru: Cinnamon

William Geiger

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

SMR...@prodigy.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:

>>Since you're changing the names, does this mean you're changing the
>fact
>>that the game starts out in Tokyo? And what about their last names
>(Shidou,
>>Ryuuzaki, Hououji).
>
>We'll probably skip the last names entirely and avoid the whole problem.

>the only place where it is even remotely relevant is in the game manual,

>and first names have worked pretty well for most of our other
>translations.

What did you think of my suggestions for Hikaru? (Audrey,Lucinda,Celia,
etc)

If you ever think of changing Umi's name, I suggest Strassha

August Yang

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

My turn!

If the name for Hikaru can mean light as well, then I suggest either
Aurora (After the Aurora Borealis) or Diana (Godess of the Moon and
the Hunt).

A less serious suggestion would be to call her Sally. Why?
Well, if her last name were "Mander"...

August Paul Yang runs to dodge the decaying fruit matter.
--
wntr...@tribeca.ios.com | For my Life
Public Relations and Official Test Audience for the FDC | Still ahead,

Victor Ireland

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

>What did you think of my suggestions for Hikaru? (Audrey,Lucinda,Celia,
>etc)

They didn't hit me especially hard. They actually sound kinda OLD.
These are 8th graders... (Though they'll probably be considerably older
in the US so we can keep the barbie-doll nudity-transformation scene...)

DBTH - vic

Stickler

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96
to Victor Ireland

I like the names Amber, Lindsey, Alex, and Melissa

Masako Motoyama

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

SMR...@prodigy.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:

>They didn't hit me especially hard. They actually sound kinda OLD.
>These are 8th graders... (Though they'll probably be considerably older
>in the US so we can keep the barbie-doll nudity-transformation scene...)

> DBTH - vic

Victor,

I'm sorry for getting into this late, I just found out about it. ^_^
Anyways, I think you should keep the original names, as their meanings
relate to the characters. Hikaru = Light, Umi = Water, Fuu = Wind,
air. And in case you've tried to find names with those same meanings
in English, I'm sure you found how silly they sounded. So I think a
good idea would be to keep their original names and explain in the
manual the reasons for keeping the names. Besides, I'm an avid
Role-Player myself, and I've never found that odd-sounding names
bothered me. I mean, after all, it is a RPG. <g> Lastly, what are you
planning about doing about the other names? I believe CLAMP even had
an RPG in mind when they gave the characters names like Clef(French
for key), Presea, and Ferio<-- don't change this name! It's too cool!
:) And... what about Mokona!? ^_^

BTW, you're keeping the transformation scenes! Wow! Now I see why I
think you guys are they best at what you do, which is translating
great RPG's, and making sure they STAY great RPG's. :) How will that
affect the "ratings system" though? Thanks for your time!

-Kevin

-Kevin

Masako Motoyama

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

SMR...@prodigy.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:

>They didn't hit me especially hard. They actually sound kinda OLD.
>These are 8th graders... (Though they'll probably be considerably older
>in the US so we can keep the barbie-doll nudity-transformation scene...)

> DBTH - vic

Dear Victor,

In my opinion, you should stick to the original names, since they are
symbolic. Hikaru = Light, Umi = Water, Fuu = Wind, air. I think you
should put the original names in along with a short explanation of
their meanings. Are you planning to keep the other names? Also, if you
have to change the names, my votes would be: Hikaru = Scarlet, or
Christy for a more normal alternative; Umi = Veronica; Fuu = Ashley,
or Sharon. What do you think?

You're keeping the transformation sequence??? Wow! :) Thanks for doing
such a good job trying to make a faithful translation! I like all the
RPG's you put out! :) But how will the nudity affect your ratings?
Thanks for your time. ^_^

-Kevin

Dragonmaster Lou

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

mas...@radix.net (Masako Motoyama) wrote:

> I'm sorry for getting into this late, I just found out about it. ^_^
>Anyways, I think you should keep the original names, as their meanings
>relate to the characters. Hikaru = Light, Umi = Water, Fuu = Wind,
>air. And in case you've tried to find names with those same meanings
>in English, I'm sure you found how silly they sounded. So I think a
>good idea would be to keep their original names and explain in the
>manual the reasons for keeping the names. Besides, I'm an avid
>Role-Player myself, and I've never found that odd-sounding names
>bothered me. I mean, after all, it is a RPG. <g> Lastly, what are you
>planning about doing about the other names? I believe CLAMP even had
>an RPG in mind when they gave the characters names like Clef(French
>for key), Presea, and Ferio<-- don't change this name! It's too cool!
>:) And... what about Mokona!? ^_^

Well, WD did keep odd-names for characters such as "Popful Mail"
(really oddball there) and "Hiro" (which while is perfectly fine in
Japanese, it sounds just like the english word "hero," which WD IMHO
cleverly played on in the game :) ).

---

+-------------- http://www.netspace.org/users/drgnmstr ----------------+
|Dragon...@brown.edu|"Searching for a distant star, heading off to |
|"Dragonmaster Lou" |Iscandar, leaving all we love behind, who knows|
|Technology House |what dangers we'll find..." |
+------------------ ftp://yamato.techhouse.brown.edu ------------------+

Save Our Sailors: Please help keep "Sailor Moon" on the air in the US by
signing the SOS petition @ http://looney.physics.sunysb.edu/~daffy/sos/