Dungeon Explorer CD

Stephen Sidler

Mar 20, 1995, 10:42:17 AM3/20/95
Anyone know when Dungeon Explorer CD is going to be released?

Thanks...Steve

vicv...@delphi.com

Mar 24, 1995, 12:39:14 PM3/24/95
Stephen Sidler <SJ...@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

> Anyone know when Dungeon Explorer CD is going to be released?

I think it's late April, and it is NOT Dungeon Explorer II from the Duo.

DBTH - Vic

John Even III

Mar 24, 1995, 3:36:30 PM3/24/95
In <Zu+7X6S....@delphi.com> vicv...@delphi.com writes:
>I think it's late April, and it is NOT Dungeon Explorer II from the Duo.
>

> DBTH - Vic
uh oh, did they add anything then? anyone know? i sure hope its
more than dungeon explorer I, because i beat that game like 40
times (with and without friends - 5 player rules!)
damn i was hoping it would be II!!!!!!!!
that bites
--
John Even Drop the Leash, Drop the Leash
eve...@iastate.edu (I'll Swallow Your Soul)*3

John Even III

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
well i saw the pics in game fan, and i must say im pretty disappointed
i guess im kinda glad that they changed it, just because i had the
old turbo game at one point, but they really butchered it it seems
first, lessening the rpg elements is a big mistake i think, duh
i like gauntlet and all, but id prefer dungeon explorer, which was
much cooler (plot, more chars)

second, they really f*cked up on the graphics, how come when i had
a turbo, everything looked better on the sega, but now they try
to port one of the first games out, and they change all the colors to
dumb ass shades of green??? dungeon explorer graphics were awesome
duh, the graphics really piss me off--game fan said GAUNTLET has better
graphics

third, one of the cool things about dungeon explorer was that there
were like 9 chars plus a hidden or something like that, now there
are 6

fourth, im scared that it might not be 5 player -- anyone know?
gamefan said 2+ as the # of players, and in their shots they only
showed up to 3 at a time...

fifth, they said the sound sucks and a quote was something like
in the spirit of gauntlet, dungeon explorer needs a better sampling
rate, badly...
they have those extra sound channels...

sixth, why didnt they port over dungeon explorer II cd???
id rather see a direct port of that, than a butchering of
dungeon explorer I that doesnt even RESEMBLE the first one!
ill prolly pick up a copy anyway i guess, if i can get it for
$30 after eveyone sees how bad it is, just because i like
gauntlet too

hopefully die hard was showing a very early copy of it
otherwise...

Mike S Reynolds

Mar 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/31/95
In article <evenflw....@du81-27.cc.iastate.edu>,

John Even III <eve...@iastate.edu> wrote:
>well i saw the pics in game fan,

Something to take into account when reading game fan, they are way too
critical of PC-Engine ports. In fact you probably shouldn't even read
GameFan :), the writing is terrible. Just look at the ratings and the
pictures :)

>and i must say im pretty disappointed
>i guess im kinda glad that they changed it, just because i had the
>old turbo game at one point, but they really butchered it it seems
>first, lessening the rpg elements is a big mistake

I don't know how GameFan figures the rpg elements were lessened. Unless
there is no more conversation, they were not lessened at all. OTOH,
they were raised by the fact that you now gain levels by experience,
and that you can acquire new weapons. Also, I think there is more than
2 spells per char. now, but I'm not sure of that one.

>i think, duh
>i like gauntlet and all, but id prefer dungeon explorer, which was
>much cooler (plot, more chars)

I agree. With the cinemas, bosses etc. this looks like more of the same.
Again, I don't know why Gamefan thinks it is so much more similar to
Gauntlet. It doesn't look any more similar than the TG16 DE.

>second, they really f*cked up on the graphics, how come when i had
>a turbo, everything looked better on the sega, but now they try
>to port one of the first games out, and they change all the colors to
>dumb ass shades of green???

Huh? The graphics in the pics I've seen looked better than DE's graphics
except maybe a few less colors.

>dungeon explorer graphics were awesome
>duh, the graphics really piss me off--game fan said GAUNTLET has better
>graphics

Again, GameFan is way off base. The graphics don't look anything like
the bricks-on-a-one-color-bg, every-dungeon-loooks-the-same graphics
of Gauntlet.

>third, one of the cool things about dungeon explorer was that there
>were like 9 chars plus a hidden or something like that, now there
>are 6

Are you sure there were 9 in DE 1? I remember 7. Also I have heard
that there are 2 hiddens in DE for the Sega CD.

>fourth, im scared that it might not be 5 player -- anyone know?
>gamefan said 2+ as the # of players, and in their shots they only
>showed up to 3 at a time...

It is probably at least 4 players, but who knows? We'll have to wait
and see on this one.

>fifth, they said the sound sucks and a quote was something like
>in the spirit of gauntlet, dungeon explorer needs a better sampling
>rate, badly...
>they have those extra sound channels...

They said the voices sucked but the music was awesome. But then, the
voices can't be any worse than the voices in DE for the Turbo :) (there
were none).

>sixth, why didnt they port over dungeon explorer II cd???
>id rather see a direct port of that, than a butchering of
>dungeon explorer I that doesnt even RESEMBLE the first one!

I'm glad its's not the same as DE1, who wants the same game again?
I guess I wouldn't have minded DE2 because I've never played it but
it doesn't bother me that they made a new game. It certainly doesn't
seem to me like they butchered the gameplay or concept of the first DE.
I don't know how you cannot see a resemblance between this and the old DE.

>ill prolly pick up a copy anyway i guess, if i can get it for
>$30 after eveyone sees how bad it is, just because i like
>gauntlet too
>
>hopefully die hard was showing a very early copy of it
>otherwise...

I think Die Hard was way off base on this one. Wel'll see when the game
comes out which should be pretty soon.

Mike Reynolds

Brian Krause

Apr 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/10/95

eve...@iastate.edu (John Even III) writes:
> Leafing through a Mega Play at EB today, I first looked at the
> screenshots which looked pretty decent, but when I looked at the review
> of the DE2, I'm really looking forward to the game. First off the
> prospect of a >1 player RPG (well sorta) is mouthwatering itself. But
> the >excellent< reviews they gave it really got me pumped. I think the
> LOWEST score was 88 or somewhere around there. That ranged up to 96? which
> is a great score when you look at the scores they gave some other games.
> Chalk Dungeon Explorer 2 up as (currently) a possible winner (let's hope).
>

> Jeff Gunnink Internet: Jeff.R.Gunnink@ uwrf.edu

I picked up Dungeon Explorer CD yesterday, and thus far I am quite impressed
with it. The dungeons are quite colorful, and there are scads of creatures
moving around. I think it's a worthwhile buy, but I have yet to play it in
multi player mode. Hopefully I will get a chance to do that tonight. The game
has eight different characters, and you can equip them with various weapons
that you purchase between exploring. This is a good touch. It doesn't take
too much gold to improve you character in the early stages, so it's a fair
bit of fun to go and get cash, then upgrade to the next best armor, or shot,
or magical strength. All of the eight characters seem to be fairly unique
as well, so that is cool.

So, overall my first impressions are very good. I was looking for a game
to gobble up scads of time, and now that I have finished Dark Wizard (great
game!) this one fits the bill seemingly. I'd say if your interested at all
in the title, go get it when it comes out. I'm sure you won't be disappointed
as it looks like it has lots of promise.

BTW, another Sega CD title that came out fairly recently that is a hell of
a lot of fun is BC Racers. If you get a chance, grab it or rent it, I would
highly recommend it myself.

Brian

= Brian Krause = The opinions expressed are my own =
= Electronic Arts Canada = and not necessarily those of my =
= bkr...@ea.com = employer. =

Anthony M. Carson

Apr 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/12/95
When i took a quick look at this one yesterday in the store, it struck me
that it was very similiar to Gauntlet....What do y'all who own/play it
think? is it different enough from Gauntlet to warrant checking it out,
or is nothing at all like Gauntlet?
Tony

John Even III

Apr 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/13/95
what stores have people seen this at?

Peter Weinstock

Apr 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/14/95
John Even III (eve...@iastate.edu) wrote:
: what stores have people seen this at?

: --
: John Even Drop the Leash, Drop the Leash
: eve...@iastate.edu (I'll Swallow Your Soul)*3

:
I've only seen it at Babbages. Excellent game IMO but frustrating when you
make major progress and then get killed before getting back to the ONE AND
ONLY save point.

Adds to the lifespan of the game, I guess...