Super FX and SVP games available today

Kris

Jun 15, 1994, 3:01:33 AM6/15/94
I own both a Genesis and a SNES. I recently rented both Virtua Racer
for Sega and Star Fox for SNES (obviously...). The Super FX chip
seems to be a lot better with colors, resolution and speed, even thogh
it is more than a year older than the new Sega SVP 3-D chip, it still
shows superior handling than the new Sega chip. However, the new Sega
chip does appear render quicker on account of its fewer colors and
grainier resolution. I find it amusing that both of these chips limit
the screen resolution so that the television picture no longer fills
the entire screen. This was necessary to increase speed and capacity
(since we all know how hard it is to overscan).

Is Nintendo or anyone else coming out with new Super FX games? The
only one I know about is Star Fox, which is a notoriously hard to
control (and poorly done) cartoon kids game. Why the hell do I have
to be a fox, fat guy or something cutesy-cutesy in every God damn SNES
game? I saw some press about this new SNES racing game that uses
Super FX but the pictures I saw showed the cars being this stupid ass
cartoon dune-buggy crap with large, wet eyes. What the hell! Is
Nintendo stupid or what? But I digress. I did hear a RUMOR about
Castlevania V using Super FX, but no news on when it is coming out.
On the Sega side, I heard of Virtua Fighter, but it was only slated
for Saturn and 32X.

What's the good word?

Thanks,

Kris

--
Kris
kreh...@nyx.cs.du.edu

A.J.Maddox

Jun 20, 1994, 8:16:11 AM6/20/94
Hello, the next SFX chip games coming out will be :

Starfox 2 - it includes a simueltaneous 2 player option and you
will not be restricted to which direction you travel as you were
in the original game.

Vortex - a 3D game where you conrol a big robot shooting things.

Stunt Race FX - 3D racing game.

Bye,

ALAN.

Chris Norden

Jun 20, 1994, 11:01:46 AM6/20/94
In article <KREHBERG.94...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> kreh...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Kris) writes:
>From: kreh...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Kris)
>Subject: Super FX and SVP games available today
>Date: 15 Jun 1994 01:01:33 -0600

>I own both a Genesis and a SNES. I recently rented both Virtua Racer
>for Sega and Star Fox for SNES (obviously...). The Super FX chip
>seems to be a lot better with colors, resolution and speed, even thogh
>it is more than a year older than the new Sega SVP 3-D chip, it still
>shows superior handling than the new Sega chip. However, the new Sega
>chip does appear render quicker on account of its fewer colors and
>grainier resolution. I find it amusing that both of these chips limit
>the screen resolution so that the television picture no longer fills
>the entire screen. This was necessary to increase speed and capacity
>(since we all know how hard it is to overscan).

<other stuff deleted>

Both of these processors are just essentially custom DSP's. They do NOT
change the video characteristics of the system (e.g. colors, resolution, etc.)
All they do is let the system offload some of its math (polygons) to the DSP
to free up the processor to do other stuff at the same time. These chips have
_nothing_ to do with the colors or resolution of the system. If you'll
notice, the Nintendo FX chip seems to be slower if you compare StarFox to
Virtua Racing...StarFox does not have very many polygons compared to Virtua
Racing, and StarFox is _slow_ (considering it has a custom DSP). Virtua
Racing is pretty damn fast (can't wait for the Saturn, though)! Sega still
kills SNES as far as playable games. I also get really sick of all the
kiddie shit on the SNES (and some on the Sega, too). I own both systems, and
I have considered selling the SNES many times. The only reason I keep it is
for games like Actraiser and Super Metroid!!

-cnn

//
// Chris Norden
// Programmer, Origin Systems
//
// E-mail: cno...@origin.ea.com
//
// Any opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily of my employer!
//

Carl Bevil

Jun 21, 1994, 11:45:32 PM6/21/94
A.J.Maddox (cm6...@ccub.wlv.ac.uk) wrote:
: Hello, the next SFX chip games coming out will be :

: Starfox 2 - it includes a simueltaneous 2 player option and you
: will not be restricted to which direction you travel as you were
: in the original game.

WHEN WHEN WHEN????

I don't see how people complain that StarFox is slow, doesn't have enough
polygons, etc... This game is why I bought my SNES, and I still think it
is one of the coolest, smoothest games out there. Who cares if there are
cartoon characters? It's one of the funnest games around!

So, WHEN is StarFox II coming out????

Carl
ca...@zippy.sonoma.edu

Johnny Cheuk

Jun 22, 1994, 6:45:02 AM6/22/94
Carl Bevil (carl@zippy) wrote:

: WHEN WHEN WHEN????

Actually, there is an arcade game from NAMCOT which plays like the
Starfox and it is called something like "Star XXXX", in arcade here, we
have a 8 players edition of this arcade game and it cost more than $1 USD
each game, but the screen is huge, it is actually a wall, it stretches
over 100 inches wide...

I have not hear of anything like the Starfox 2, may be American game
developers make it, I am pretty sure the Japanese game mag has no info.
about it at all...

I am surprised that people don't like Starfox because it has those
cartoon characters....man....they are people who are too picky, and I
think if they can't stand this point, most American games like thoose
from cartoon such as the Tiny toons, Bugs Bunny are rubbish to
them...actually, there is a code to change those cartoon characters in
Starfox to Mario Bros characters....

BTW, there is another Super FX trip gamme selling now, it is called "Wild
Trax" , or "Super FX Trax" in USa.{But this game is not that good
though....I have seen people playing it and it really couldn't get me
interested....

Ralph Barbagallo

Jun 21, 1994, 12:53:59 AM6/21/94
Is Vortex just a renamed version of Electrobrain's Citadel...
or is Citadel out yet? Citadel looks great.

--
Ralph A.Barbagallo III_Only AMIGA Makes it Possible!_nug...@genesis.nred.ma.us
C O M M O D O R E . . . R E S T I N P E A C E

Kris

Jun 22, 1994, 4:56:54 PM6/22/94
In article <cnorden.2...@origin.ea.com> cno...@origin.ea.com (Chris Norden) writes:
>Both of these processors are just essentially custom DSP's. They do NOT
>change the video characteristics of the system (e.g. colors, resolution, etc.)
>All they do is let the system offload some of its math (polygons) to the DSP
>to free up the processor to do other stuff at the same time. These chips have
>_nothing_ to do with the colors or resolution of the system.

Uh, hello, I was talking about the games themselves, and the chips'
capabilities in terms of what I see on the screen compared to the
other. If they want to use less colors and resolution, they will get
faster output. This is what I see in terms of Virtua Racing (less
colors, grainy resolution) versus Star Fox (much more colors, sharper
resolution). And the fact that both games fill up less of the screen
to minimize the contention caused by excessive overscanning on parts
of the screen not used by the game. Go back and re-read the post.

> If you'll
>notice, the Nintendo FX chip seems to be slower if you compare StarFox to
>Virtua Racing...StarFox does not have very many polygons compared to Virtua
>Racing, and StarFox is _slow_ (considering it has a custom DSP).

Funny, I felt that the Star Fox game had many more polygons and
complex figures than Virtua Racing had. Plus more colors and
independently moving 3-D "creatures" on the screen than anywhere in
Virtua Racing.

> Virtua
>Racing is pretty damn fast (can't wait for the Saturn, though)! Sega still
>kills SNES as far as playable games.

Virtua is extremely quick, but I believe this speedup (in terms of
Star Fox vs. Virtua Racing, mind you) is skewed by the Sega's lack of
colors and resolution. Lack of colors and resolution equals less data
to move around equals faster on-screen animation. You have seen both
games side to side, right? I can see much more detail, colors,
resolution, objects, and much smoother movement of complex items on
the Super Nintendo Star Fox compared to the Sega Virtua Racing.

> I also get really sick of all the
>kiddie shit on the SNES (and some on the Sega, too). I own both systems, and >I have considered selling the SNES many times. The only reason I keep it is
>for games like Actraiser and Super Metroid!!

Yeah. I love Castlevania IV and I am waiting for Castlevania V, which
is rumored to contain the Super FX chip in it...

The Sega also can't come close to the audio capabilities of the SNES,
which is extremely unfortunate because the rest of the system is so
superior.

Carl Mueller

Jun 23, 1994, 9:13:17 AM6/23/94

>Virtua is extremely quick, but I believe this speedup (in terms of
>Star Fox vs. Virtua Racing, mind you) is skewed by the Sega's lack of
>colors and resolution. Lack of colors and resolution equals less data
>to move around equals faster on-screen animation. You have seen both
>games side to side, right? I can see much more detail, colors,
>resolution, objects, and much smoother movement of complex items on
>the Super Nintendo Star Fox compared to the Sega Virtua Racing.

I doubt this makes a difference. Actually, it's much easier to manipulate
256 color values because they nicely fit in 8-bits. It would actually be
slower to change a 4-bit color value (16 colors) because you have to
mask the byte and not destroy the other color value. For what it's worth,
most SNES games are programmed in a mode that only allows 16 colors per
tile anyways, and then the tile can point to 8 or 9 different palettes.
So the actual pixel pushing power needed is probably the same on
both systems.

Wayne State University | SNES programming. Send "HELP" to LISTSERV
e-mail: ca...@busop.cit.wayne.edu | for more information.

Freddy Chan

Jun 25, 1994, 9:03:19 PM6/25/94
Carl Mueller (ca...@busop.cit.wayne.edu) wrote:

: >Virtua is extremely quick, but I believe this speedup (in terms of

: >Star Fox vs. Virtua Racing, mind you) is skewed by the Sega's lack of
: >colors and resolution. Lack of colors and resolution equals less data
: >to move around equals faster on-screen animation. You have seen both
: >games side to side, right? I can see much more detail, colors,
: >resolution, objects, and much smoother movement of complex items on
: >the Super Nintendo Star Fox compared to the Sega Virtua Racing.

Talking about the special chip game. It should be better to compare
the 'WildFx(Stunt FX)' with Virtual Racing. I just played this game
in Japanese version. This game has colorful graphics, and the polygons
are display much better than Starfox. And this game provides a lot
of different options for you to play with, similar to Super Mario Kart,
a definitely a good buy. The best part of this game is the cheaper price
when comparing with Virtual Racing. The Japanese version I played cost
around $75. When the SNES version release later, the price should be under
$50. On the other hand, Virtual Racing's price is over $80.

KhChan