Working Designs to Join PlayStation Development Ranks

10 views
Skip to first unread message

Chris C.

unread,
Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97
to

From GameInformer Online:

03.25.97
Working Designs, publisher of Dragon Force and long time Sega supporter, is
finalizing plans to become a third-party developer for the Sony
PlayStation.

Details have not been finalized, but Working Designs is busily bulking up
their development staff to gear for additional PlayStation titles. Although
Working Designs declined to comment on any specifics regarding titles,
Taito's RayStorm is said to be one that they may be considering.

More information should surface on Working Designs' plans later this week

--------------------------------

-Chris C.

Castellan

unread,
Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97
to

"David Zehder" <wze...@frontiernet.net> writes:

>>
>> More information should surface on Working Designs' plans later this week
>>
>> --------------------------------

>If this is true, than I have been betrayed. I will sell my working design
>games and live in the woods for the rest of my days.

And how, pray tell, have you been "betrayed?" Because WD would like
to actually make money and expand their business? Or because you can't
afford a Playstation?


---
Douglas L. Erickson | Curiosity killed the cat/
dou...@mailhost.ecn.ou.edu | Loathsome rituals brought it back.
Visit my Anime Art Gallery at: | - Revelation X
http://www.ecn.ou.edu/~douglas | <My opinions remain unsponsored by ECN>


David Zehder

unread,
Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97
to


Chris C. <war...@erols.com> wrote in article
<01bc3a54$ded50ea0$d702...@warlock.erols.com>...


> From GameInformer Online:
>
> 03.25.97
> Working Designs, publisher of Dragon Force and long time Sega supporter,
is
> finalizing plans to become a third-party developer for the Sony
> PlayStation.
>
> Details have not been finalized, but Working Designs is busily bulking up
> their development staff to gear for additional PlayStation titles.
Although
> Working Designs declined to comment on any specifics regarding titles,
> Taito's RayStorm is said to be one that they may be considering.
>

Luigi Mattera

unread,
Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97
to

Chris C. (war...@erols.com) wrote:
: From GameInformer Online:

: 03.25.97
: Working Designs, publisher of Dragon Force and long time Sega supporter, is
: finalizing plans to become a third-party developer for the Sony
: PlayStation.

: Details have not been finalized, but Working Designs is busily bulking up
: their development staff to gear for additional PlayStation titles. Although
: Working Designs declined to comment on any specifics regarding titles,
: Taito's RayStorm is said to be one that they may be considering.

: More information should surface on Working Designs' plans later this week

: --------------------------------

Geez, I can't believe it. Has Sony finally started to listen to
it's customers? It isn't quite April 1st yet..


nathan stehle

unread,
Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97
to

"David Zehder" <wze...@frontiernet.net> writes:

>If this is true, than I have been betrayed. I will sell my working design
>games and live in the woods for the rest of my days.

So WD wants to make PS games, why not? They were going to originally, but
SCEA was a problem. It's not like they are going to stop making Saturn
games.

--
Nathan Stehle
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes."
Mazer Rackham in Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"

David Oldridge

unread,
Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97
to

"Chris C." (war...@erols.com) writes:
> From GameInformer Online:
>
> 03.25.97
> Working Designs, publisher of Dragon Force and long time Sega supporter, is
> finalizing plans to become a third-party developer for the Sony
> PlayStation.
>
> Details have not been finalized, but Working Designs is busily bulking up
> their development staff to gear for additional PlayStation titles. Although
> Working Designs declined to comment on any specifics regarding titles,
> Taito's RayStorm is said to be one that they may be considering.
>
> More information should surface on Working Designs' plans later this week

I'm not surprised to see this. Shortly after Vic promised a few major
surprises at the upcoming E3, someone posted the question of why WD
doesn't develop for the PlayStation. Vic's answer said that it was due to
the pompous attitudes displayed by the "original" batch of executives at
Sony. When I e-mailed him asking why he made that distinction, and asked
if new talks with Sony were underway, he never responded or mentioned it
in this newsgroup again. That silence, while saying nothing, seemed to
suggest a lot.
Of course, now we'll have to deal with the some of the trolls who own
PlayStations, who'll insist that WD is now 100% dumping the Saturn. But
at least there should be less WD-bashing by visiting trolls.

Marlon L. Chen

unread,
Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97
to

In article <01bc3a54$ded50ea0$d702...@warlock.erols.com>,
war...@erols.com says...

> From GameInformer Online:
>
> 03.25.97
> Working Designs, publisher of Dragon Force and long time Sega supporter, is
> finalizing plans to become a third-party developer for the Sony
> PlayStation.
>
> Details have not been finalized, but Working Designs is busily bulking up
> their development staff to gear for additional PlayStation titles. Although
> Working Designs declined to comment on any specifics regarding titles,
> Taito's RayStorm is said to be one that they may be considering.
>
> More information should surface on Working Designs' plans later this week

I'm just wondering if PSX owners will be able to "appreciate" WD.

I'm looking back at WD's history:

They have a cult following with the Saturn crowd.
They have a cult following with the Sega CD crowd.
TG-CD... um... uh... er...

Well, I can't think of any "personal nazis" in WD's TG-16 days. =P

Anyway, if indeed this is true, that means WD didn't develop a reputation
until the Sega CD. Why?

I'll tell ya why... It was on the Sega CD that they had their first
KILLER app: Lunar.

Honestly, had WD never gotten Lunar, I'd be looking over my copies of
Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Vay... and wondering what all the hubbub was about.

Will there be any killer apps available for the PSX? Somehow I doubt it.
Square is most likely going to either do all its stuff on its own or, I
think in the case of FFVII?, let Sony do it. And then there are
companies like Sony and Konami who'll refuse to let anyone else translate
their properties, even if they won't touch them themselves.

Are there any companies like Game Arts developing GOOD PSX games that
don't have a state-side branch? That seems to be WD's only shot at
FINDING any games to translate for the PSX.


M.
http://server.berkeley.edu/~moomc/

William Geiger

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

If they do go to the Playstation, I hope they'll do TEAM INNOCENT.


"Gin makes a man mean!"
"Everyone booze up and riot!"

Milk&Cheese


John Hokanson Jr.

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

On 26 Mar 1997 19:05:42 GMT, dou...@mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu
(Castellan) wrote:

>"David Zehder" <wze...@frontiernet.net> writes:
>
>
>
>>>
>>> More information should surface on Working Designs' plans later this week
>>>

>>> --------------------------------


>
>>If this is true, than I have been betrayed. I will sell my working design
>>games and live in the woods for the rest of my days.
>

> And how, pray tell, have you been "betrayed?" Because WD would like
>to actually make money and expand their business? Or because you can't
>afford a Playstation?
>

The second one. We aren't made of money Castellan. Go ahead and laugh,
but many of us bought Saturn's because of WD's commitment. I myself
weighed my options when buying a new system. I am not some little brat
that bought a system because of the hype (N64), or because of game
quantity (PSX). In reality, I bought my Saturn because the games I
wanted to play were out (or being released) on that system. I bought
it mainly for the WD RPGs, and for the Anime Games in Japan. And
to a lesser extent, for some of Sega's in-house titles. Now it appears
that one of my reasons might be eliminated. I'm not completely
fear-full because I know that if worst comes to worst I can install
a Japanese/American switch and play imports. But I still will harbor
a deep resentment towards Sega and WD if they don't clean up their
respective acts. I'm not mad at WD now per-say, but I will be if they
jump ship on Saturn. I'll feel kinda the same way the N64 owners felt
when Square jumped ship on Nintendo.


------------------------------
John Hokanson Jr.
gam...@alphainfo.com


Thomas Volpe

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

I guess we'll have to go down there and have our way with 'em I reckon.


That's a joke son, ya know, from sling blade.

Billy Benson

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

John Hokanson Jr. wrote:

> The second one. We aren't made of money Castellan. Go ahead and laugh,
> but many of us bought Saturn's because of WD's commitment. I myself
> weighed my options when buying a new system. I am not some little brat
> that bought a system because of the hype (N64), or because of game
> quantity (PSX). In reality, I bought my Saturn because the games I
> wanted to play were out (or being released) on that system. I bought
> it mainly for the WD RPGs, and for the Anime Games in Japan. And
> to a lesser extent, for some of Sega's in-house titles. Now it appears
> that one of my reasons might be eliminated. I'm not completely
> fear-full because I know that if worst comes to worst I can install
> a Japanese/American switch and play imports. But I still will harbor
> a deep resentment towards Sega and WD if they don't clean up their
> respective acts. I'm not mad at WD now per-say, but I will be if they
> jump ship on Saturn. I'll feel kinda the same way the N64 owners felt
> when Square jumped ship on Nintendo.

That is a very selfish point of view! You have to look at it from WD's
view, also. They're not making as much money as they deserve! The Saturn
is the #2 CD system. Why not make games for the #1? Also, I'm sure that
WD's is going to continue making Saturn games so you don't have to
worry. Also, Square jumped the Nintedo ship for a good reason! Square
believes that CD's are superior. (WD's also does) Give me a good reason
for WD NOT to make PSX games... You could say they have a commitment to
Sega, but they also have to make money. It's part of being a business.

--
Billy Benson
bi...@pex.net
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1376/

Luigi Mattera

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

John Hokanson Jr. (gam...@alphainfo.com) wrote:

: The second one. We aren't made of money Castellan. Go ahead and laugh,
: but many of us bought Saturn's because of WD's commitment. I myself
: weighed my options when buying a new system. I am not some little brat
: that bought a system because of the hype (N64), or because of game
: quantity (PSX). In reality, I bought my Saturn because the games I
: wanted to play were out (or being released) on that system. I bought
: it mainly for the WD RPGs, and for the Anime Games in Japan. And
: to a lesser extent, for some of Sega's in-house titles. Now it appears
: that one of my reasons might be eliminated. I'm not completely
: fear-full because I know that if worst comes to worst I can install
: a Japanese/American switch and play imports. But I still will harbor
: a deep resentment towards Sega and WD if they don't clean up their
: respective acts. I'm not mad at WD now per-say, but I will be if they
: jump ship on Saturn. I'll feel kinda the same way the N64 owners felt
: when Square jumped ship on Nintendo.

Think about what you're saying. Working Designs *translates*
Japanese games (usually RPG's) which no one else picks up. They do
not *make* games. Therefore, any PSX games brought out here by
Working Designs were originally made for the Playstation and have been
probably never been available for the Saturn in the first place. So
if anything WD will continue to translate Saturn stuff while now
translating PSX stuff.
It isn't like they've made a sudden switch of platforms, they've
wanted to bring over PSX games from the beginning. SCEA have just been
idiots in not letting them do so, but apparently they've actually been
easing up lately.


Ivan Ying

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

In article <5hbs26$9eu$1...@independence.ecn.ou.edu>,

dou...@mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu (Castellan) wrote:
>"David Zehder" <wze...@frontiernet.net> writes:
>
>
>
>>>
>>> More information should surface on Working Designs' plans later
this week
>>>
>>> --------------------------------
>
>>If this is true, than I have been betrayed. I will sell my working
design
>>games and live in the woods for the rest of my days.
>
> And how, pray tell, have you been "betrayed?" Because WD
would like
>to actually make money and expand their business? Or because you
can't
>afford a Playstation?
>
>
>---
>Douglas L. Erickson | Curiosity killed the cat/
>dou...@mailhost.ecn.ou.edu | Loathsome rituals brought it
back.
>Visit my Anime Art Gallery at: | -
Revelation X
>http://www.ecn.ou.edu/~douglas | <My opinions remain unsponsored by
ECN>
>
I'll tell you how this person has been betrayed. I bought a
Saturn because of Working Designs and now that they're going to the
Playstation I should have bought that. I am 14, I have a small job
that pays for ONE system and ONE game a month or so. So seeing
Working Designs go to another system is bad, but not the end of the
world. I wished they didn't though.

Seymont

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

William Geiger (PHP...@prodigy.com) wrote:

> If they do go to the Playstation, I hope they'll do TEAM INNOCENT.

There was a PS version of Team Innocent? I wasn't aware it had
been released on any system other than NEC's.

christian nutt

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

Ivan Ying wrote:

> I'll tell you how this person has been betrayed. I bought a
> Saturn because of Working Designs and now that they're going to the
> Playstation I should have bought that. I am 14, I have a small job
> that pays for ONE system and ONE game a month or so. So seeing
> Working Designs go to another system is bad, but not the end of the
> world. I wished they didn't though.

eck, it's ONE shooter.. .ONE SHOOTER! not a couple japanaese RPGs..
theyre even using a different name, 'SPAZ' which obviously doesn't call
to mind RPGs..

anyway, everyone get a grip, and get a playstation too. 149, prolly 99
used or something, then you get wild arms and ff7. once you sink the
money on a system, it's yours forever.

Thomas Volpe

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

That isn't the issue for all of us, many of us just don't want lunar to
have more delays because of other games.

Seymont

unread,
Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to

Ivan Ying (yi...@pathcom.com) wrote:

> I'll tell you how this person has been betrayed. I bought a
> Saturn because of Working Designs and now that they're going to the
> Playstation I should have bought that. I am 14, I have a small job
> that pays for ONE system and ONE game a month or so. So seeing
> Working Designs go to another system is bad, but not the end of the
> world. I wished they didn't though.

What's the difference? The Saturn is still getting the same games
WD had planned for it in the first place, and the PS is getting an
entirely different set, unless WD is going to start re-coding Japanese
Saturn titles to run on the PS (not bloody likely: takes too long, too
much hassle, they've never completely reprogrammed games before to my
knowledge, and getting the licenses for cross-system ports from the
original J-Saturn developers would probably be hell). Saturn gets Lunar,
MKR, Dragon Force, AO, and whatever else they have planned; PS gets
RayStorm, maybe Arc 2 (I can't fathom why SCEA is passing on this
one...Arc the Lad was basically dung, aside from its nice visuals, but the
sequel is a whole different story), and whatever else they decide to pick
up for it. The Video Game Spot article suggests that WD has no plans to
drop Saturn development. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. Maybe
they'll even be able to expand and bring games out faster for both
systems.
--
--
sey...@telerama.lm.com
"Ooh, a head bag. They're chock full of...heady goodness."
-Apu

christian nutt

unread,
Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97
to

>
> That isn't the issue for all of us, many of us just don't want lunar to
> have more delays because of other games.

this is a SHOOTER. the last game in the series didn't have any japanese
in it. literally. i played this one at a store, it didn't have any
that i saw. get a GRIP. they've hired more people. raystorm isn't
seriously going to delay ANYTHING.

Silver Phoenix

unread,
Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97
to

christian nutt <sex...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Agreed, I have RayStorm , and Kanji is literally non-existent. So,
if Working Designs ports this game, it could literally be done in a
days worth of time, barring the instruction manual art, and the
ads for the game.

Silver Phoenix

Hyun Woo Baek

unread,
Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97
to

I find it funny that you think they will get a license just to bring out
ONE game. If demand is high for a product you think they will just sit
there and let the opportunity pass by?
They will most likely get license to bring out that game, because that way
other publishers cannot. Why? WD is going to publish it, it might take them
a year, but they they got the license first.
And did you say they will hire more people? My guess is, one new programer
for the PlayStation department, and the some poor guy that works 24 hours a
day, translating Saturn games. Oh yeah and a new coffee machine!


christian nutt <sex...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<333B56...@ix.netcom.com>...

Marlon L. Chen

unread,
Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97
to

In article <5hf4f1$t...@joust.lm.com>, sey...@telerama.lm.com says...

> Ivan Ying (yi...@pathcom.com) wrote:
>
> > I'll tell you how this person has been betrayed. I bought a
> > Saturn because of Working Designs and now that they're going to the
> > Playstation I should have bought that. I am 14, I have a small job
> > that pays for ONE system and ONE game a month or so. So seeing
> > Working Designs go to another system is bad, but not the end of the
> > world. I wished they didn't though.
>
> What's the difference? The Saturn is still getting the same games
> WD had planned for it in the first place, and the PS is getting an
> entirely different set...
>
> [snip]

>
> The Video Game Spot article suggests that WD has no plans to
> drop Saturn development. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. Maybe
> they'll even be able to expand and bring games out faster for both
> systems.

But they're still splitting their efforts now.

Originally, I was worried that the Saturn would be getting half the
attention that it had been getting, now that the PSX was in the picture.
WD has assured people that they ARE expanding their staff, so I suppose
my mind is put at ease in this respect.

But then again, how satisfied are we with WD's progress right now? Don't
you think that it would have been nice for Saturn owners had WD expanded
their staff and STILL concentrated all of its efforts on the Saturn?
Imagine getting twice the number of games from WD a year, roughly on
time.

Tengai Makyo, anyone?


So in a sense, Saturn owners DO lose out.


M.
http://server.berkeley.edu/~moomc/

Ken Small

unread,
Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97
to

In article <3339f0bb...@news.alphainfo.com>,

John Hokanson Jr. <gam...@alphainfo.com> wrote:
>respective acts. I'm not mad at WD now per-say, but I will be if they
>jump ship on Saturn. I'll feel kinda the same way the N64 owners felt
>when Square jumped ship on Nintendo.

When Square "jumped ship" no one had spent any money on an N64 yet,
and it's not as if they were going to make any more SNES games.
Why did this upset people? Buy the system that has the games you
like, not the "brand name" you prefer. Likewise, I can't see how
WD porting shooters to the PS is going to affect Saturn owners,
unless WD is going to stop their Saturn activities, which they've
no made indication of doing (on the contrary, it appears Spaz will
handle Saturn shooters as well, while WD keeps doing Saturn RPGs).
Everybody wins.

--
Ken Small
kens...@mcs.com
================
Magic 8-BALL sez: My reply is no

Message has been deleted

Greg Sewart

unread,
Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97
to

Here's something that we should think about. For all of you that are
worried about WD making RPG games for the PS, consider this. Whe are
the major RPG developers right now on the PS? Konami, Sony and Square.
Well, Konami and Sony both have the policy that, if thier American
counterparts turn down a title, no other company may release it in North
America. Also, Sony has the rights to all Square properties on the
Playstation, so.....

However, that being said, I hope that WD does translate some great RPG's
for the PS. The more the better, for, although the RPG market is
growing, RPG fans still have precious little to choose from compared to
fighting or sports nuts.

Good call, WD.
--
Greg

Editor
Gaming Enthusiast Online
http://www.gaming-enthusiast.com/

"Over-specialize and you breed in weakness."
-Ghost in the Shell

Saturn/Playstation/Nintendo64/GenesisCDX

VicVideo

unread,
Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97
to

[But then again, how satisfied are we with WD's progress right now? Don't

you think that it would have been nice for Saturn owners had WD expanded
their staff and STILL concentrated all of its efforts on the Saturn?
Imagine getting twice the number of games from WD a year, roughly on

time.]

Wouldn't happen this way. Like it or not, the Saturn is sitting still or
losing steam due to inertia at SoA. Why would we double our staff and
releases for Saturn, when the sales would stay the same or decrease?

Sad, but true.

DBTH - Vic


Craig M. Kazial

unread,
Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97
to

: When Square "jumped ship" no one had spent any money on an N64 yet,

: and it's not as if they were going to make any more SNES games.
: Why did this upset people? Buy the system that has the games you
: like, not the "brand name" you prefer. Likewise, I can't see how
: WD porting shooters to the PS is going to affect Saturn owners,
: unless WD is going to stop their Saturn activities, which they've
: no made indication of doing (on the contrary, it appears Spaz will
: handle Saturn shooters as well, while WD keeps doing Saturn RPGs).
: Everybody wins.

So might we get Dezaemon 2 among some other fantastic shooters ported?
Or is this pure speculation?

Craig


Craig M. Kazial

unread,
Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97
to

VicVideo (vicv...@aol.com) wrote:
: [But then again, how satisfied are we with WD's progress right now? Don't

Hmm, but you see the established WD fan base on the Saturn would certainly
pick up more than 2-3 WD titles a year.. if they could. So if you had more
staff things would get done quicker, and we'd be buying more of your titles.
Doubling staff without doubling releases might be a bad idea, but I'm suprised
you would consider arguing you wouldn't make it back and more if that was the
case.. twice the releases wouldn't be swamping us.. we'd all be kids in a park.
Like it or not there still are about 2 million Saturn owners. I certainly
see the merits of trying PC and PSX waters as well. But as already mentioned
there is some stiff competition already on the PSX, the PC is always a
question mark, and you built up a fair base of gamers on the Saturn, as it
was the only route to get WD ports for quite awhile anyways. I hope we still
see strength in the commitments already made and new titles being announced,
and some shooters as well would be great. Well that's my 2 cents.

Craig Kazial

Dyne

unread,
Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97
to

VicVideo wrote:
>
> Wouldn't happen this way. Like it or not, the Saturn is sitting still or
> losing steam due to inertia at SoA. Why would we double our staff and
> releases for Saturn, when the sales would stay the same or decrease?
>
> Sad, but true.
>
> DBTH - Vic

Jeez, when is SOA ever going to learn? (Or rather, when is SOJ going to
find out what's happening, and fire everyone at SOA (could they do
that?))

Honestly, I don't see why SOA finds it so hard to listen to their
customers... After all the polls (such as the one from Saturnworld),
petitions, e-mails, letters, and phone calls for more RPGs, they release
Shining the Holy Ark, and that's it??? (StHA doesn't even look that
great to me, they'd be better off translating Apoc. IV)

I can't see how they could have chosen worse RPGs to release (Mystaria,
Legend of Oasis, and Dark Savior). Why can't we just go back to the old
days, when games like Lunar and Final Fantasy 3 were being released???

I agree with another poster on this ng...it's time to send the tactical
nukes over to SOA, and hope WD's out of range when they hit.

-Dyne

David Zehder

unread,
Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97
to

>
> I can't see how they could have chosen worse RPGs to release (Mystaria,
> Legend of Oasis, and Dark Savior). Why can't we just go back to the old
> days, when games like Lunar and Final Fantasy 3 were being released???
>
>

Hey man all those games rocked!


Message has been deleted

hw...@castle.net

unread,
Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97
to

In article <19970329070...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
vicv...@aol.com (VicVideo) wrote:

> Wouldn't happen this way. Like it or not, the Saturn is sitting still or
> losing steam due to inertia at SoA. Why would we double our staff and
> releases for Saturn, when the sales would stay the same or decrease?
>
> Sad, but true.
>
> DBTH - Vic

I don't mean to be rude, but you are sounding like 4PLAY, the
*incredible* designers of Jaguar software.

You talk about Sega not doing anything, but where is your company's
announced software? delayed.

Why is it alright that *you* can delay things, but if Sega (or anyone
else) does the same, it's poor.

I can understand why Sega may be sitting back to see how things firm out
right now, they don't want to end up like Texas Instruments did in the
1983 computer wars... Commodore did then like Sony is trying nowadays...
Sega is in the business of making money.. something fairly difficult to
do in the hardware end of the market...

You have garnered a great deal of respect from Working Designs purchasers
(well deserved), but you risk losing it with comments like you just made.
What is WD planning for the next few months? Can we still expect Albert
Odyssey and Rayearth?

I *thought* the new "Spaz" label press realease mentioned both Sony and
Saturn titles? Has this changed in the past few days?

Please remember that this NEWSGROUP is made up of Saturn owners, not SEGA
executives: we want to buy what you sell... not feel guilty for Sega's
marketing plans...

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

David Gilliland

unread,
Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97
to

Craig M. Kazial wrote:
>
> VicVideo (vicv...@aol.com) wrote:
> : [But then again, how satisfied are we with WD's progress right now? Don't
> : you think that it would have been nice for Saturn owners had WD expanded
> : their staff and STILL concentrated all of its efforts on the Saturn?
> : Imagine getting twice the number of games from WD a year, roughly on
> : time.]
>
> : Wouldn't happen this way. Like it or not, the Saturn is sitting still or

> : losing steam due to inertia at SoA. Why would we double our staff and
> : releases for Saturn, when the sales would stay the same or decrease?
> : Sad, but true.
> : DBTH - Vic
>
> Hmm, but you see the established WD fan base on the Saturn would certainly
> pick up more than 2-3 WD titles a year.. if they could. So if you had more
> staff things would get done quicker, and we'd be buying more of your titles.
> Doubling staff without doubling releases might be a bad idea, but I'm suprised
> you would consider arguing you wouldn't make it back and more if that was the
> case.. twice the releases wouldn't be swamping us.. we'd all be kids in a park.
> Like it or not there still are about 2 million Saturn owners. I certainly
> see the merits of trying PC and PSX waters as well. But as already mentioned
> there is some stiff competition already on the PSX, the PC is always a
> question mark, and you built up a fair base of gamers on the Saturn, as it
> was the only route to get WD ports for quite awhile anyways. I hope we still
> see strength in the commitments already made and new titles being announced,
> and some shooters as well would be great. Well that's my 2 cents.

I don't think that the Saturn has enough of a total user base to worry
about, much less a WD fan base. I'm a tried and true Sega supporter,
but even I can see that the Saturn just hasn't caught on. Vic and WD
are in the business to turn a profit, and if that means selling PSX
games, so be it. Say WD brought out more games on the Saturn, but could
only sell a few hundred thousand of each title. Now, say they could
bring out some games on the Playstation, and sell a few more hundreds of
thousands of titles than they could with a Saturn release. It's just
good business. I'm more dismayed at the way Sega of America has handled
the Saturn here and someone needs to kick them out of their complacency.

--Dave


Ray S.

unread,
Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97
to

In-Reply-To: <3339f0bb...@news.alphainfo.com>


> The second one. We aren't made of money Castellan. Go ahead and laugh,
> but many of us bought Saturn's because of WD's commitment. I myself
> weighed my options when buying a new system. I am not some little brat
> that bought a system because of the hype (N64), or because of game
> quantity (PSX). In reality, I bought my Saturn because the games I
> wanted to play were out (or being released) on that system. I bought
> it mainly for the WD RPGs, and for the Anime Games in Japan. And
> to a lesser extent, for some of Sega's in-house titles. Now it appears
> that one of my reasons might be eliminated. I'm not completely
> fear-full because I know that if worst comes to worst I can install
> a Japanese/American switch and play imports. But I still will harbor
> a deep resentment towards Sega and WD if they don't clean up their

> respective acts. I'm not mad at WD now per-say, but I will be if they
> jump ship on Saturn. I'll feel kinda the same way the N64 owners felt
> when Square jumped ship on Nintendo.
>

I own a PSX, although I'm not a brat :P
But the truth is I still think PSX has better games than saturn :P
It's true most games on PSX really suck! But the good ones are
the ones I really want. Btw, I bought PSX bcoz of square too.
I'm one of those N64 ppl u're toking abt.(except i dun own a N64)
but i still love nintendo, famicom and super famicom brought me my
love for RPGs, my desire for dragonquest and my passion for Final fantasy.
nothing, not even my 7 year old Sega can do that :)
All of that is jez my opinion so dun flame or advocate ur console. :)
Ta.


Sammael

unread,
Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97
to

>>
>> Details have not been finalized, but Working Designs is busily bulking up
>> their development staff to gear for additional PlayStation titles.
>Although
>> Working Designs declined to comment on any specifics regarding titles,
>> Taito's RayStorm is said to be one that they may be considering.


>>
>> More information should surface on Working Designs' plans later this week
>>
>> --------------------------------

>If this is true, than I have been betrayed. I will sell my working design
>games and live in the woods for the rest of my days.

How have you been betrayed?

Sammael


Sammael

unread,
Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97
to

kens...@MCS.COM (Ken Small) wrote:

>In article <3339f0bb...@news.alphainfo.com>,
>John Hokanson Jr. <gam...@alphainfo.com> wrote:

>>respective acts. I'm not mad at WD now per-say, but I will be if they
>>jump ship on Saturn. I'll feel kinda the same way the N64 owners felt
>>when Square jumped ship on Nintendo.

>When Square "jumped ship" no one had spent any money on an N64 yet,


>and it's not as if they were going to make any more SNES games.
>Why did this upset people? Buy the system that has the games you

>like, not the "brand name" you prefer. Likewise, I can't see how


>WD porting shooters to the PS is going to affect Saturn owners,
>unless WD is going to stop their Saturn activities, which they've
>no made indication of doing (on the contrary, it appears Spaz will
>handle Saturn shooters as well, while WD keeps doing Saturn RPGs).
>Everybody wins.

Victor Ireland said that they probably would translate some PSX RPGs
also.

Sammael


Sammael

unread,
Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97
to

"Hyun Woo Baek" <umba...@cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

>I find it funny that you think they will get a license just to bring out
>ONE game. If demand is high for a product you think they will just sit
>there and let the opportunity pass by?
>They will most likely get license to bring out that game, because that way
>other publishers cannot. Why? WD is going to publish it, it might take them
>a year, but they they got the license first.
>And did you say they will hire more people? My guess is, one new programer
>for the PlayStation department, and the some poor guy that works 24 hours a
>day, translating Saturn games. Oh yeah and a new coffee machine!

Hahhahahaha you're probably right one guy for saturn games and one guy
for PSX games, well look at this way now atleast they're twice as
"many" as before.

Sammael


David Zehder

unread,
Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97
to


Sammael <Sam...@post2.tele.dk> wrote in article
<5hkb22$afa2$4...@news.inet.tele.dk>...

Really where and when did he say this?


Castellan

unread,
Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97
to

hw...@castle.net writes:

>In article <19970329070...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> vicv...@aol.com (VicVideo) wrote:

>> Wouldn't happen this way. Like it or not, the Saturn is sitting still or
>> losing steam due to inertia at SoA. Why would we double our staff and
>> releases for Saturn, when the sales would stay the same or decrease?
>>
>> Sad, but true.
>>
>> DBTH - Vic

>I don't mean to be rude, but you are sounding like 4PLAY, the


>*incredible* designers of Jaguar software.

Duuuuhhhhhh, what, Sparky?

>You talk about Sega not doing anything, but where is your company's
>announced software? delayed.

>Why is it alright that *you* can delay things, but if Sega (or anyone
>else) does the same, it's poor.

Where has he bashed Sega for delaying releases? He's bashed them
for not converting titles, for not putting advertsing emphasis on the
Saturn, and for poor marketing/third party handling overall, but he's
never criticized them for delaying titles.


>I can understand why Sega may be sitting back to see how things firm out
>right now, they don't want to end up like Texas Instruments did in the
>1983 computer wars... Commodore did then like Sony is trying nowadays...
>Sega is in the business of making money.. something fairly difficult to
>do in the hardware end of the market...

Boy, if this isn't an analogy pulled out of the wrong orifice -
Sony is about as similar to Commodore as your analytical insight is to
a William Buckley oratory - there's no comparison. Sega made it into the
top 5 toy retailers last year as a result of SOFTWARE sales last year
despite a lackluster performance in hardware retail - I don't think
they're hurting as much as some doomsayers would have you believe.

>You have garnered a great deal of respect from Working Designs purchasers
>(well deserved), but you risk losing it with comments like you just made.
> What is WD planning for the next few months? Can we still expect Albert
>Odyssey and Rayearth?

Has he said otherwise? No.

>I *thought* the new "Spaz" label press realease mentioned both Sony and
>Saturn titles? Has this changed in the past few days?

Has he said otherwise? No. This is getting silly.

>Please remember that this NEWSGROUP is made up of Saturn owners, not SEGA
>executives: we want to buy what you sell... not feel guilty for Sega's
>marketing plans...

It's your choice to feel guilty for Sega's marketing plans or not.
Why in the name of Jehosaphat you would feel remorse for a corporation's
particular scheme of selling silicon entertainment devices is a question better
answered by your shrink.

Please, next time, spare us the knee-jerk flamespew and THINK before
you post.

Marlon L. Chen

unread,
Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97
to

In article <19970329070...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
vicv...@aol.com says...

> [But then again, how satisfied are we with WD's progress right now? Don't
>
> you think that it would have been nice for Saturn owners had WD expanded
> their staff and STILL concentrated all of its efforts on the Saturn?
> Imagine getting twice the number of games from WD a year, roughly on
> time.]
>
> Wouldn't happen this way. Like it or not, the Saturn is sitting still or
> losing steam due to inertia at SoA. Why would we double our staff and
> releases for Saturn, when the sales would stay the same or decrease?

Well, I wouldn't think sales would stay the same or decrease if you
doubled your efforts on the Saturn. I bet most of your customers aren't
buying as many games as they could. Put out more games, and they'll buy
'em.

I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T publish PSX games. It's just that there
aren't many reasons for Saturn owners to be happy. They aren't many for
them to be unhappy either, but neither for them to be happy.


M.
http://server.berkeley.edu/~moomc/

Frank M. Goldman

unread,
Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97
to


Craig M. Kazial <kaz...@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in article
<5hjm2f$b...@prometheus.acsu.buffalo.edu>...
> : When Square "jumped ship" no one had spent any money on an N64 yet,


> : and it's not as if they were going to make any more SNES games.
> : Why did this upset people? Buy the system that has the games you
> : like, not the "brand name" you prefer. Likewise, I can't see how
> : WD porting shooters to the PS is going to affect Saturn owners,
> : unless WD is going to stop their Saturn activities, which they've
> : no made indication of doing (on the contrary, it appears Spaz will
> : handle Saturn shooters as well, while WD keeps doing Saturn RPGs).
> : Everybody wins.
>

> So might we get Dezaemon 2 among some other fantastic shooters ported?
> Or is this pure speculation?
>
> Craig
>
>

I don't like shooters but Dezaemon 2 looks like it could be cool. I
remeber seeing a make your own shooter game on SNES awhile back. I hope
Spaz ports it.

Colt Duncan

Flap on, Flap off...

unread,
Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97
to VicVideo

On 29 Mar 1997, VicVideo wrote:
> Wouldn't happen this way. Like it or not, the Saturn is sitting still or
> losing steam due to inertia at SoA. Why would we double our staff and
> releases for Saturn, when the sales would stay the same or decrease?

I really hope you use your Spaz label for Saturn too, as I would buy every
shooter that you release! ^_^ I'm looking forward to Raystrom to for
PS...when's it comin out?

==============================================================================
THE FLAPPER!!!!!!!
==============================================================================
Join the petition to bring more Ranma 1/2 Laserdiscs to the U.S.!
http://iczer1.usacomputers.net/~ranma/ranma-ld-petition.html ^_^
==============================================================================


Sammael

unread,
Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97
to

>>
>> Victor Ireland said that they probably would translate some PSX RPGs
>> also.
>>
>> Sammael
>>
>>

>Really where and when did he say this?


I think that it was on gamespot that I read it.

Sammael


Warhawk

unread,
Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97
to


David Zehder <wze...@frontiernet.net> wrote in article
<01bc3cc2$22efe3c0$a119...@rathecon.frontiernet.net>...

> > Victor Ireland said that they probably would translate some PSX RPGs
> > also.
> >
> > Sammael
> >
> >
>
> Really where and when did he say this?

and I quote from http://www.videogamespot.com

VGS: Will RPGs be a part of what you bring to the
PlayStation in the future?

Ireland: Of course, since Working Designs is well
known for exactly this type of game, and because
publishing RPGs on the PlayStation also was part of
our original plan, this is a good possibility. We'll see
how things go with RayStorm…

--
Allen Dickerson
exa...@ix.netcom.com

Message has been deleted

Craig M. Kazial

unread,
Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97
to

David Gilliland (dav...@mail.utep.edu) wrote:

: Craig M. Kazial wrote:
: > VicVideo (vicv...@aol.com) wrote:
: > : [But then again, how satisfied are we with WD's progress right now? Don't

: > : you think that it would have been nice for Saturn owners had WD expanded
: > : their staff and STILL concentrated all of its efforts on the Saturn?
: > : Imagine getting twice the number of games from WD a year, roughly on
: > : time.]
: > : Wouldn't happen this way. Like it or not, the Saturn is sitting still or

: > : losing steam due to inertia at SoA. Why would we double our staff and
: > : releases for Saturn, when the sales would stay the same or decrease?
: > : Sad, but true.
: > : DBTH - Vic
: > Hmm, but you see the established WD fan base on the Saturn would certainly

: > pick up more than 2-3 WD titles a year.. if they could. So if you had more
: > staff things would get done quicker, and we'd be buying more of your titles.
: > Doubling staff without doubling releases might be a bad idea, but I'm suprised
: > you would consider arguing you wouldn't make it back and more if that was the
: > case.. twice the releases wouldn't be swamping us.. we'd all be kids in a park.
: > Like it or not there still are about 2 million Saturn owners. I certainly
: > see the merits of trying PC and PSX waters as well. But as already mentioned
: > there is some stiff competition already on the PSX, the PC is always a
: > question mark, and you built up a fair base of gamers on the Saturn, as it
: > was the only route to get WD ports for quite awhile anyways. I hope we still
: > see strength in the commitments already made and new titles being announced,
: > and some shooters as well would be great. Well that's my 2 cents.
: I don't think that the Saturn has enough of a total user base to worry

: about, much less a WD fan base. I'm a tried and true Sega supporter,
: but even I can see that the Saturn just hasn't caught on. Vic and WD
: are in the business to turn a profit, and if that means selling PSX
: games, so be it. Say WD brought out more games on the Saturn, but could
: only sell a few hundred thousand of each title. Now, say they could
: bring out some games on the Playstation, and sell a few more hundreds of
: thousands of titles than they could with a Saturn release. It's just
: good business. I'm more dismayed at the way Sega of America has handled
: the Saturn here and someone needs to kick them out of their complacency.
: --Dave

We still have half the installed PSX userbase, if I am not mistaken.
WD fans first bought a Saturn by default.. that's where they went.
We're starved for trad rpgs and WD translations in general, having less
competition, indeed SoA has dropped the ball there so bad Sony may yet
become as big an RPG publisher over here (atleast we are still getting Holy Ark
and Panzer Dragoon RPG though).

WD already has some pretty good experience with the Saturn, and good contacts
with Saturn RPG producers. PSX has a lot of competition.. and a lot of
software houses that are either doing their own rpgs or won't let anyone else
touch them.

I agree SoA needs a kick in the pants. But I think to suggest we wouldn't
gobble up enough WD to make it quite profitable, even if doubling their output,
is a bit out of whack. Vic's the man with the figures, and maybe it isn't
as good as I think, but I also thin a few people are painting to rost a PSX
picture. Sure a lot of games get produced for the PSX.. and a lot sit. It
doesn't have the rpg glut we're suffering from, an established 'WD fan' crowd,
and I bet if everyone did their homework, there'd be a lot more rents going
on than collecting titles as compared to the Saturn. Sure that's good for
exposure, and it can work. But I also am suggesting many games are rented
till completed or cast aside at a glance that route as well. And their are
companies willing to spend a *lot* on promotion (square,konami, and Enix cometh)

I'd just like to see Saturn devotion/development at least remain at the same
level. I've been waiting awhile for particular titles, and will continue to
wait.. even while 'blackbelt' is out if need be. But if it becomes clear we're
being bumped or a distant second seat, that won't sit well with me.

It makes good business sense to go after new customers. It doesn't make good
business sense to alienate your current ones.. the ones that got you there.
Everyone is sooo concerned how many playstations are out there. You know what?
I wouldn't be suprised if someone else did a poll and found out the actually
number of games sold through for both systems is rather a bit closer.

More of my spare change,
Craig


SM Nall

unread,
Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97
to

Lets get this clear, WD is not under development for any PSX rpgs only one
shooter(raystorm), so this crap about WD making rpgs for psx is false!!!!

--NALL--

SM NA...@AOL.com

Slam

unread,
Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97
to

In an interview with Videogame Spot, Victor Ireland has already stated
that Working Designs will port over RPGs for the PSX. Get with the
facts, son.

David Oldridge

unread,
Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97
to

SM Nall (smn...@aol.com) writes:
> Lets get this clear, WD is not under development for any PSX rpgs only one
> shooter(raystorm), so this crap about WD making rpgs for psx is false!!!!

Likewise, there are no Saturn titles announced yet under the Spaz
(shooter) label either. But that doesn't mean that one isn't coming.

nathan stehle

unread,
Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97
to

Slam <WDR...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>SM Nall wrote:
>> Lets get this clear, WD is not under development for any PSX rpgs only one
>> shooter(raystorm), so this crap about WD making rpgs for psx is false!!!!
>>

>> --NALL--
>> SM NA...@AOL.com

>In an interview with Videogame Spot, Victor Ireland has already stated
>that Working Designs will port over RPGs for the PSX. Get with the
>facts, son.

Neither one is exactly right. Vic stated in that interview that WD is feeling
out the PS market with Raystorm. I'm glad they might do RPG's for the PS
(esp. w/ an expnaded staff), but nothing is set right now. There is no
will or will not. Only maybe.

--
Nathan Stehle
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes."
Mazer Rackham in Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"

Joe Ottoson

unread,
Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97
to

Nobody#2 wrote:

> In an interview with Videogame Spot, Victor Ireland has already stated
> that Working Designs will port over RPGs for the PSX. Get with the
> facts, son.

To get with the facts in this matter, first we need to get rid of
useless nobody trolls like yourself. Only then would facts have any
possibility of existing without getting twisted into lies.

As I recall, the interview stated that WD would put out the shooter and
work from there. There was no promise made on WD's part to port RPG's.

Slam

unread,
Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97
to

Joe Ottoson wrote:
>
> Nobody#2 wrote:
>
> > In an interview with Videogame Spot, Victor Ireland has already stated
> > that Working Designs will port over RPGs for the PSX. Get with the
> > facts, son.
>
> To get with the facts in this matter, first we need to get rid of
> useless nobody trolls like yourself. Only then would facts have any
> possibility of existing without getting twisted into lies.

Now now, Joe. That's not very pleasant. Please, this is a public
forum. Let's be civil to our fellow posters now, shall we? And
comparing myself to that Nobody fellow, well that's simply uncalled
for. I am shocked, I tell you, shocked! Just because I am a 'Nobody
Troll' as you put it doesn't make me a bad person, does it? I certainly
hope a fine Saturn Advocate such as yourself wouldn't take my posts too
seriously. I promise to stop posting as soon as Nobody does. How's
that?

>
> As I recall, the interview stated that WD would put out the shooter and
> work from there. There was no promise made on WD's part to port RPG's.

Here's the part of the interview I was referring to:

VGS: Will RPGs be a part of what you bring to the
PlayStation in the future?

Ireland: Of course, since Working Designs is well
known for exactly this type of game, and because
publishing RPGs on the PlayStation also was part of
our original plan, this is a good possibility. We'll see

how things go with RayStorm….

Now, you are correct in stating that nothing is definate yet. But from
the sounds of it, things look pretty positive for WD to port over RPGs
on the Playstation. And my response was much more accurate than the
previous poster, who stated that WD would in no way shape or form do
anything but shooters for the PSX. So my post was certainly closer to
the truth than the previous poster, now wasn't it?

Who knows, we could soon see Arc the Lad II from Working Designs! More
RPGs in the states is always a good thing, isn't it?

Have a pleasant day.

Message has been deleted

Michael P Collins

unread,
Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97
to

sey...@telerama.lm.com (Seymont) writes:

> SM Nall (smn...@aol.com) wrote:
>
> > Lets get this clear, WD is not under development for any PSX rpgs only one
> > shooter(raystorm), so this crap about WD making rpgs for psx is false!!!!
>
> It's false only to the extent that they haven't announced any
> yet. There's nothing saying they won't. It is, however, improbable that
> the Saturn and PS will be sharing any; as far as I can tell, WD isn't
> into porting code.

Improvable at the moment; it's also Working Designs' own business.
It's not like anyone here has a long-standing erotic relationship with
the company - it's a business affair.

I doubt that WD would port code - that's a phenomenally expensive
process, especially given the quirkiness of the Saturn's mechanics.

Michael Collins, mc...@andrew.cmu.edu
"Quotes Are For The Weak" - Omar Beckins

Joe Ottoson

unread,
Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97
to

Slam wrote:
>
> Joe Ottoson wrote:
> >
> > Nobody#2 wrote:
> >
> > > In an interview with Videogame Spot, Victor Ireland has already stated
> > > that Working Designs will port over RPGs for the PSX. Get with the
> > > facts, son.
> >
> > To get with the facts in this matter, first we need to get rid of
> > useless nobody trolls like yourself. Only then would facts have any
> > possibility of existing without getting twisted into lies.
>
> Now now, Joe. That's not very pleasant.

It wasn't supposed to be troll. In fact, if I could get rid of you or
Nobody (preferably both of you evil yinyang twins) either by hook or by
crook, I'd gladly do it simply because trolls only make more trolls
appear (you're living proof of that)

> I promise to stop posting as soon as Nobody does. How's
> that?
>

Since you seem to be the primary thing keeping Nobody around lately, I
can't say that's much of a bargin. How about I'll be civil to Nobody
clones public or private when the earth explodes?

> >
> > As I recall, the interview stated that WD would put out the shooter and
> > work from there. There was no promise made on WD's part to port RPG's.
>
> Here's the part of the interview I was referring to:
>
> VGS: Will RPGs be a part of what you bring to the
> PlayStation in the future?
>
> Ireland: Of course, since Working Designs is well
> known for exactly this type of game, and because
> publishing RPGs on the PlayStation also was part of
> our original plan, this is a good possibility. We'll see
> how things go with RayStorm….
>
> Now, you are correct in stating that nothing is definate yet. But from
> the sounds of it, things look pretty positive for WD to port over RPGs
> on the Playstation.

Only if Raystorm sells well, and even then, Vic didn't say much more
that a solid maybe. There's a large gulf between "yes, WD is porting
RPGs" and "only if Spaz takes off".

And my response was much more accurate than the
> previous poster, who stated that WD would in no way shape or form do
> anything but shooters for the PSX.

No, it was exactly a Nobody response. Infalmmitory with just enough
truth to prompt numerous flamebait replies. Hey, should I start posting
like Nobody to counter your "craps"? Weehaaaah! Then we'd set everything
straight again now wouldn't we? I'd accomplish nothing more than
annoying countless PSx advocates, including you which would prompt you
to:
#1 Reply to my post with even more flamebait
#2 Post more crap in the Sega newsgroup.

Then Nobody would start in as well and we'd get a 50+ post thread going
every week! Sorry, your logic is flawed in both your responses and in
the goal of getting rid of Nobody. Don't you think everyone in RGV Sega
is tired of him?

So my post was certainly closer to
> the truth than the previous poster, now wasn't it?
>

That depends on Raystorm doesn't it?

> Who knows, we could soon see Arc the Lad II from Working Designs! More
> RPGs in the states is always a good thing, isn't it?
>

That would be great. Of course, last I heard Sony has a Konami style
policy where if SCEA turns down a SCEAJ title nobody else can port the
game (so there goes that little dream...) ;-)

I personally own both systems, The more RPG's the better, but at least
try not to invite flames with every post. Nobody doesn't care, and it
just annoys everyone else Sony and Sega fans alike.

(Note this post is trying to appeal to commonsense, something Nobody
lacks, something which most reasonable people, even Sony advocates
pushed to revenge should appreciate. Unlike the souless AI experiment
gone wrong that is Nobody I'm assuming you're a troll by choice, and not
a genetc accident...)
> Have a pleasant day.

Victor Ireland

unread,
Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97
to

>I agree SoA needs a kick in the pants. But I think to suggest we
wouldn't
>gobble up enough WD to make it quite profitable, even if doubling their
output,
>is a bit out of whack. Vic's the man with the figures, and maybe it
isn't
>as good as I think, but I also thin a few people are painting to rost a
PSX
>picture. Sure a lot of games get produced for the PSX.. and a lot sit.
It
>doesn't have the rpg glut we're suffering from, an established 'WD fan'
crowd,
>and I bet if everyone did their homework, there'd be a lot more rents
going
>on than collecting titles as compared to the Saturn.

From a business standpoint it has more to do with the fact that the
retail environment is very much a follow-oriented thing. If one disses
Saturn, and sales are slow, the others are "hmmm...maybe this isn't a
good thing" and they
cut back too. Sales outlets for Saturn are shrinking (slowly, but
surely), and PSX outlets are growing (again, slow, but sure). IF SEGA
was doing a better marketing job, perhaps they could reverse this trend,
but they aren't. Sooo, it will probably continue until they do. I wish
that wishing market realities into existence worked, but unfortunately,
it ain't so. (I did plenty of wishing back when we published Turbografx...
:) )

that's not to say the Saturn is dead. I feel that reports of its demise
are greatly exaggerated, that's why we're still working on and announcing
new stuff. I just don't see it growing at anywhere NEAR the rate it needs
to to keep up, and until it does, retail will continue to atrophy.

DBTH - Vic

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages