CYBER SPEEDWAY

L.E. Poei

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95

I saw Cyber Speedway today at EB. Does anyone know if it's good
or bad? Opinions?

Alex

Eric Castle

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
In article <44070d$k...@muss.CIS.McMaster.CA>,
u920...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA (L.E. Poei) wrote:

The game or the empty box? I called my local EB and they show it coming
out on Oct 28th??? Maybe they meant Sept 28th? But I think its supposed
to be out this week.

--
Eric
eric_...@taligent.com

Noah Mittman

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
Eric Castle (eric_...@taligent.com) screamed from rec.games.video.sega:
: In article <44070d$k...@muss.CIS.McMaster.CA>,
: u920...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA (L.E. Poei) wrote:

I just called my Software Etc. and they said it was listed for 9/19, so it
could come in "at any time". I still haven't seen it anywhere yet.

--

Noah Mittman
Editor / Technical Director

JAMSHIDI BAHMAN PETER

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
Weird...Ill double check tomorrow, but these guys never put empty
poxes on the rental shelf. Ill try and post what I see.

LAU WAI-HIM WILLIAM

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
Over here in Toronto, Canada the game has been out since at least Saturday
at Electronic Boutique. The actual game was there, not just the box it was
selling for $89.99 dollars (Canadian) which seemed kind of steep to me.
--
/ // __ \/ // __ \ William Lau, wi...@ie.utoronto.ca, Industrial Eng.
| || |\ \| || |\ \ Doing business over the internet? Come visit our site.
/_//____//_//_/ \/ http://quebec.ie.utoronto.ca/IBIR/ibir.html

L.E. Poei

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95

Yes, 89.99 is steep. That's the price I saw at EB in Pickering...
How much is it in the US? Is it the most expensive saturn game right
now? From what i hear, it's really not that great of a game, but I'd
have to try it out for myself. :)

Alex

JAMSHIDI BAHMAN PETER

Sep 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/27/95

Funny, the Microplay guy around here says the graphics were much
better than Daytona's with less popup!

It would be nice to hear from one of the Sega reps why this CD
is the most expensive of all the others, conversion costs, or what??

Eric Castle

Sep 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/27/95
In article <44bemg$h...@tuzo.erin>, e0f2...@erin.utoronto.ca (JAMSHIDI
BAHMAN PETER) wrote:

Yes, I'd like to know why this game is so expensive also. I see no reason
why this game should be more expensive than Shinobi was? Could it be that
SOA thinks this will be a hot seller and has pumped up the price to gauge
us consumers? But I guess no one is forcing us to buy the game at that
price. But Sega knows some of us will buy the game even at $69.99.

Actually I don't see why any game costs more than Bug did at $39.99. Also,
why are computer games cheaper than games made for the game consoles?

--
Eric
eric_...@taligent.com

Jackel

Sep 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/27/95

First, I have both PSX and Saturn and love both systems. Second, I love racers. Cyber
speedway does not have as much pop-up as Daytona; but the graphics are not even better then
Daytona. The resolution seems low; and the frame rate seems a bit low. I honestly do not
recommend this game especially at the outrageous prices I'm seeing people posting; Cyber
Speedway is 67.99 in the Washington DC metropolitan area. I hope to SEE better polygon racers
for the Saturn or they are in trouble; Wipeout for the PSX blows Cyber speedway to bits. I only
played the demo that comes for the PSX and it is much better graphically and playability.

Later

Michael Mullis

Sep 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/28/95
e0f2...@erin.utoronto.ca (JAMSHIDI BAHMAN PETER) wrote:

>Funny, the Microplay guy around here says the graphics were much
>better than Daytona's with less popup!
>
>It would be nice to hear from one of the Sega reps why this CD
>is the most expensive of all the others, conversion costs, or what??

Actually it's true. The game has MUCH less pop-up than Daytona. On the
badside, the collision detection is kind of rough in the outside views.
But in the driver view, it competes in frame rate and smoothness with
Ridge Racer.

Mike Mullis
"ISH-KA-BOB!"
XAK...@PRODIGY.COM

Michael Mullis

Sep 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/28/95
>Yes, I'd like to know why this game is so expensive also. I see no
reason
>why this game should be more expensive than Shinobi was? Could it be
that
>SOA thinks this will be a hot seller and has pumped up the price to
gauge
>us consumers? But I guess no one is forcing us to buy the game at that
>price. But Sega knows some of us will buy the game even at $69.99.

Apparently, there is a real-live band playing the music in this game, I'm
sure they had to be paid.

And guess what. SPENCER NILSON PRODUCED THE MUSIC!!!!! HE'S BACK!!!!

Mike Mullis
"ISH-KA-BOB!"
XAK...@PRODIGY.COM

Craig Majaski

Sep 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/28/95

>Yes, I'd like to know why this game is so expensive also. I see no reason
>why this game should be more expensive than Shinobi was? Could it be that
>SOA thinks this will be a hot seller and has pumped up the price to gauge
>us consumers? But I guess no one is forcing us to buy the game at that
>price. But Sega knows some of us will buy the game even at $69.99.
>
>Actually I don't see why any game costs more than Bug did at $39.99. Also,
>why are computer games cheaper than games made for the game consoles?
>
>--
>Eric
>eric_...@taligent.com

Maybe the price was bumped up because of the music. I read somewhere on
the Sega Web that the music was done by some rock group or something.
Anyone with the game care to respond about the quality of the music?

Later,
Rendered1

"O.K. Mr. hot-shot video game player...Now what?!?"

--Bug!

Rend...@aol.com

or

rend...@upstel.net

Tom Mulcahy

Sep 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/28/95
In <eric_castle-27...@eric-castle.taligent.com> eric_...@taligent.com
(Eric Castle) writes:

>Actually I don't see why any game costs more than Bug did at $39.99.
Also,
>why are computer games cheaper than games made for the game consoles?
>
>--
>Eric
>eric_...@taligent.com

Actually they don't. New computer cdrom releases are priced about on
par with new console releases.

Vincent Chew

Sep 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/28/95
How's Cyber Speedway?

A brief review anyone?

Please post it in the newsgroup...

Ta.
-Vincent

Brian O. Bozarth

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95
Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.video.sega: 28-Sep-95 Re: CYBER SPEEDWAY
by Vincent Ch...@tartarus.uw

> How's Cyber Speedway?
>
> A brief review anyone?

I just rented this...it's not bad. If you want to compare the game to
Wipeout (very similar themes)..it's quite graphically inferior and has
noticable pop-up but it's not really intrusive as in Daytona. I liked
the gameplay of Cyber Speedway better tho. I played the demo for
Wipeout (just one track mind you)...all of the tracks of Cyber Speedway
were wider and offered different paths to completing a lap. Also I
liked the feel better..hovercars would ride the terrains (which would
vary on different sections of 5 tracks) plus they are really fast!! The
feel in Wipeout is very sterile as there's no visible feedback plus I
hate the fact that your car practically stops when you hit the side of
the racetrack. The missles in Cyber Speedway are really lame in
comparison.

There's 5 tracks, 5 cars of varying strengths, and a story and instant
action mode.

I couldn't take the hoacky altern-rock music in the tracks. They sound
really out of place!! They should have allowed an option to them off
and use the original music. Why can't these people (SOA and Sony) leave
the games as they are??? It just bugs me.

Brian

Mark Phaedrus

Sep 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/29/95
In article <eric_castle-27...@eric-castle.taligent.com>,
eric_...@taligent.com (Eric Castle) wrote:

> Actually I don't see why any game costs more than Bug did at $39.99. Also,
> why are computer games cheaper than games made for the game consoles?

I think I can give you a reasonable answer for that last one: because
there are many more companies in the computer-game business than in the
console-game business.
Companies want to charge the profit-maximizing price for their
games. Essentially, the profit-maximizing price is the highest price that
the average consumer is willing to pay. If they price higher than that,
most consumers simply won't think it's worth buying; if they price lower
than that, they're needlessly losing money per sale.
In the console market, the manufacturer of the console typically
produces most of the games, and the third-party manufacturers are
relatively few and far between. (And the third parties may be dependent
on the console manufacturer for production of their games, which might
discourage them from price-undercutting the manufacturer too
aggressively.) In this type of market, there may well be only one choice
in a particular niche; for example, right now on the American Saturn,
there's only one first-person shooter--Panzer Dragoon. If a Saturn owner
wants a first-person shooter for the Saturn, they either buy Panzer
Dragoon or they don't buy one at all; there's no Brand Y to price-compare
against. So Sega can afford to set the price somewhat higher and still
get people to buy.
In contrast, in the computer market, there are many more players, and
almost all the niches are filled with multiple games. That means that if
the consumer wants a particular style of game, his choices generally won't
be "Game A or nothing"; there are any number of first-person shooters out
there. This introduces a much greater element of price competition; even
if the consumer is willing to spend $60 for Shooter A, why should he when
Shooter B is pretty much the same game and only costs $39? So the makers
of Shooter A will lose a lot of their market share, unless they lower
their price to at or around Shooter B's level.

--
\o\ If you're interested in books/stories with transformation themes,\o\
\o\please try <URL:http://www.halcyon.com/phaedrus/Menu.html>, or \o\

Bill Kendall

Oct 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/6/95
.uio.no>:
Esben Lund (esb...@ifi.uio.no) wrote:

: In article <44osva$d...@booz.bah.com>, RLS <sharp...@bah.com> writes:
: > True but the Wipe-out demo for the PSX has allot of pop-up also.
: >

: Check out Wipeout when it hits the US.
: It's better than the demo, and probably the best console racer out there :)

Even though this should be in the Sony group and not here I think it's
lame that the US Wipeout will have the techno bands taken out of the
soundtrack. Taking Orbital out should be a crime.

Shayne Judkins

Oct 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/6/95
to n...@panix.com
n...@panix.com (Noah Mittman) wrote:

> WHAT?!?!?!?!?!
>
> Orbital did the Wipeout soundtrack?! And Sony took them OUT?!
>
> That's it, then. Sony has no clue what they're doing. :)
>
>--
>Noah Mittman |

Ummm...it had something to do with a UK/US licensing thing. (Evidently
they only have Orbital's rights in the UK...or something. (now were did I
put that post) :-)

Shayne Judkins Senior Programmer/Analyst sjud...@trendar.com
Trendar voice (615) 367-1000
Nashville, Tn 37217 My opinions are my own fax (615) 367-1946

Shayne Judkins

Oct 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/6/95
to n...@panix.com

Shayne Judkins

Oct 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/6/95
to n...@panix.com

n...@panix.com (Noah Mittman) wrote:

> WHAT?!?!?!?!?!
>
> Orbital did the Wipeout soundtrack?! And Sony took them OUT?!
>
> That's it, then. Sony has no clue what they're doing. :)
>
>--
>Noah Mittman |
>Editor/Technical Director, | "Just say NO to stock footage."
>Fire & Rain Productions, NYC | - Tom Servo, MST3K

Bill Kendall

Oct 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/9/95
Noah Mittman (n...@panix.com) wrote:
: >: Check out Wipeout when it hits the US.
: >: It's better than the demo, and probably the best console racer out there :)
: >
: > Even though this should be in the Sony group and not here I think it's
: >lame that the US Wipeout will have the techno bands taken out of the
: >soundtrack. Taking Orbital out should be a crime.

: Orbital did the Wipeout soundtrack?! And Sony took them OUT?!

: That's it, then. Sony has no clue what they're doing. :)

Yep it's true, the UK version of Wipeout has a techno soundtrack by
several bands. Orbital (only one the best ambient/techno bands in
existence) did some stuff on it too.