Genesis game questions...the A's

BelPowerslave

Mar 19, 2003, 6:09:18 PM3/19/03
....because I am bored out of my *fucking* mind here. You know how you
would imagine a library...quiet...not a whole lot going on...well,
imagine that, then even less going on and that's where I at...ugh.

Thought I'd post about a few games I've seen, but never played(mostly
stuff I see on ebay, hear about on sites, etc). Try to get some
conversation going. This'll be along the lines of when I hit 200 Genesis
games, and posted through the alphabet...hope it doesn't annoy anyone
too badly. :)

Aero the Acrobat 2: Any better than part one?

Aerobiz/SuperSonic: Is one better than the other, are they as amazingly
boring as they sound?

Aleste: First of the series, of which Robo-Aleste, on Sega CD, was the
sequel? Is this that same game as that Grind Stormer?

Asterix and the Power of the Gods: Never made it domestically did it?
Was it any better than the first? I don’t much care for the first one,
so far…

Awesome Possum: Is he really as annoying as the mags said? How is the
actual game?

Bel, off to the B's...

--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

Chakan

Mar 19, 2003, 6:27:18 PM3/19/03
> Awesome Possum: Is he really as annoying as the mags said? How is the
> actual game?
Imagine Gex, only without all of the pop culture jokes. The voices SUCK,
and they never stop! Even muted, this game isn't very fun...

=-=-=-=
Chakan - Likes Sega Stuff! Send lists!!
SegaFans
http://classicgaming.com/saturn

McGarrett

Mar 19, 2003, 9:11:00 PM3/19/03

"BelPowerslave" <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in message

> Aleste: First of the series, of which Robo-Aleste, on Sega CD, was the
> sequel? Is this that same game as that Grind Stormer?

In the States, Aleste was released as M.U.S.H.A. in cart form for the Genny.
It is one of my all-time shmups even to this date. It's CD-based sequel,
Robo Aleste was released for the Sega CD. I don't know if they're the same
as Grind Stormer.

Compile made some of the best shooters EVER.

McGarrett

Wren

Mar 19, 2003, 9:25:19 PM3/19/03
Yeah, I love those Compile shooters. I think my first was Power Strike
for the SMS. Wasn't Robo Aleste the same as "Nobunaga's Ninja Force"? It
seemed to take place at an earlier time period than M.U.S.H.A. but I dunno.
They're both very cool, especially M.U.S.H.A, with it's rockin' music, and
interesting enemy designs.

Grind Stormer was a Toaplan game. They made really nice shooters too. Wee!

-Wren

"McGarrett" <bobk...@notsohotmail.com> wrote in message

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 19, 2003, 10:01:42 PM3/19/03
> Aero the Acrobat 2: Any better than part one?

Yeah ,it's really good. Fixes some of the problems w/ Pt.1 to make a much
better platformer.........but get it on SNES.....excellent music that
unfortunately gets mangled on the Genesis.

> Aleste: First of the series, of which Robo-Aleste, on Sega CD, was the
> sequel? Is this that same game as that Grind Stormer?

Aleste = MUSHA..........best........shooter......ever...well, on Genesis
anyway..hehehe.

--
-Greg
"Hello floor!!! Make me a sammich!!!!"

Noah Smith

Mar 20, 2003, 12:01:39 AM3/20/03
"BelPowerslave" <belpow...@ev1.net> wroted:

> Aerobiz/SuperSonic: Is one better than the other, are they as amazingly
> boring as they sound?

I only have Aerobiz Supersonic, but it's actually pretty fun. It seems like
it'd be more suited to a mouse though. Even still, I'd reccomend it as a
game to take along on trips or play during fits of boredom.
--
NoahFrenzy
EXTRA SUGAR, EXTRA SALT, EXTRA OIL AND MSG

Kyo

Mar 20, 2003, 2:23:09 AM3/20/03

> Aerobiz/SuperSonic: Is one better than the other, are they as amazingly
> boring as they sound?

Man both of those games are really great. Aerobiz Supersonic is definitly
better than the first game, because of it's allowance for domestic hubs and
routes. I think there are a few more planes to purchase to. And they are
definitly not boring, I mean if you like strategy games at all, you should
enjoy it. There is also a third game on Saturn called Air Management '96
which is far as I know JP only.

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 12:54:28 PM3/20/03
>>Awesome Possum: Is he really as annoying as the mags said? How is the
>>actual game?
>
> Imagine Gex, only without all of the pop culture jokes. The voices SUCK,
> and they never stop! Even muted, this game isn't very fun...

Hmmmmm, that's a shame...the pics always looked pretty nice to me. Ah
well...

Bel

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 12:55:52 PM3/20/03
> Yeah ,it's really good. Fixes some of the problems w/ Pt.1 to make a much
> better platformer.........but get it on SNES.....excellent music that
> unfortunately gets mangled on the Genesis.

No SNES...but I'll go ahead and pick it up on the Genesis at some point.
Does it still have those bits where, from the pics, it looked like you
were diving into a barrel via some "mode 7" scaling(on the Genesis)?

Bel

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 12:56:27 PM3/20/03
> I only have Aerobiz Supersonic, but it's actually pretty fun. It seems like
> it'd be more suited to a mouse though. Even still, I'd reccomend it as a
> game to take along on trips or play during fits of boredom.

I actually have the mouse too...I think I picked it up for $1, just to
have for Nobunaga's Ambition. ;)

Bel

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 12:57:00 PM3/20/03
> Man both of those games are really great. Aerobiz Supersonic is definitly
> better than the first game, because of it's allowance for domestic hubs and
> routes. I think there are a few more planes to purchase to. And they are
> definitly not boring, I mean if you like strategy games at all, you should
> enjoy it. There is also a third game on Saturn called Air Management '96
> which is far as I know JP only.

I've seen that listed as being on the Genesis, even seen a
screenshot...I wonder, is the Saturn version just a graphically updated
version?

Bel

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 20, 2003, 12:58:50 PM3/20/03

> Hmmmmm, that's a shame...the pics always looked pretty nice to me. Ah
> well...

Hey, if you REAAAAAAAALLY wanna opposum game, play Rocket Knight Adventures.
Man that game still looks and plays GREAT.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 20, 2003, 1:00:57 PM3/20/03

> No SNES...but I'll go ahead and pick it up on the Genesis at some point.
> Does it still have those bits where, from the pics, it looked like you
> were diving into a barrel via some "mode 7" scaling(on the Genesis)?

Dude. Why dont you have a SNES. It isn't like today where pretty much the
same shit is on all consoles w/ a few exclusives on each..........Genesis
and SNES had vastly different libraries and there is some great shit on
SNES......not to mention that most of the cross platform games just had MUCH
better music on SNES...Aero's music really is brilliant on SNES, and the
Genesis conversion didn't do it justice. You're really missing out on some
of the most wonderful 16-bit games without a SNES.

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 1:32:41 PM3/20/03
>>Hmmmmm, that's a shame...the pics always looked pretty nice to me. Ah
>>well...
>

> Hey, if you REAAAAAAAALLY wanna opposum game, play Rocket Knight Adventures.
> Man that game still looks and plays GREAT.

Fuck yeah it is, I've got RKA and the sequel(not nearly as good imo).
RNA was amazing though, all the way through.

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 1:36:19 PM3/20/03
>>No SNES...but I'll go ahead and pick it up on the Genesis at some point.
>>Does it still have those bits where, from the pics, it looked like you
>>were diving into a barrel via some "mode 7" scaling(on the Genesis)?
>

> Dude. Why dont you have a SNES. It isn't like today where pretty much the
> same shit is on all consoles w/ a few exclusives on each..........Genesis
> and SNES had vastly different libraries and there is some great shit on
> SNES......not to mention that most of the cross platform games just had MUCH
> better music on SNES...Aero's music really is brilliant on SNES, and the
> Genesis conversion didn't do it justice. You're really missing out on some
> of the most wonderful 16-bit games without a SNES.

Well, hang on now. I *used* to have a SNES, and quite a library. At the
point the Saturn came out, I couldn't even remotely swing the $299(or
was it $399) they wanted for it...but a guy who had just bought one was
willing to sell it for $180 to me(with Panzer, WorldWide Soccer and VF
and two controllers). I sold the SNES and all the games to get it. I do
miss the SNES, no doubt. I should go out and pick up one again...in
fact, I ought to sell the fucking N64 to get it...;)

Now, as for the music being better on most SNES versions of games, I
agree...but only to a point. Most games, I felt, play better on the
Genesis and this is what really counts for me. Fighters are a good
example...nothing beats the Genesis 6 button pad(except maybe the
Japanese Saturn's pad). ;)

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 1:55:44 PM3/20/03
Hardball: Is it just me, or are all of these crappy baseball games?
Compared to Tengen’s RBI series…these were just a disgrace to me. Is it
just me?

Heavy Unit: Looks a lot like Life Force…is it any good?

Hercules: Wow, it’s Dahna….I’ve seen this under three names now…

High School Soccer: Wow, it’s the River City guys!!! Too cool! Any
opinions on it?

Home Alone/2: Are either of these any good?

Hurricanes: OMG, is that guy actually kicking a soccer ball around in a
sidescrolling adv game!?

Hybrid Front: Wow, looks kind of cool…but it’s in Japanese…anyone try it?

Bel

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 3:14:52 PM3/20/03
Incredible Hulk: Is it as bad as everyone says?

Indiana Jones’ Greatest Adventures: This one WAS finished when LucasArts
canned it…what are the chances of coming across the damn beta? I haven’t
even ever seen it as a rom…

It Came from the Desert: Overhead shooter? No FMV in this one, I take it?

Bel, just got off a shoot where I had to be a firefighter in
training...*me*, a firefighter...I can't even fight the damn cat!

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 3:29:32 PM3/20/03
James Pond 1&3: I have part 2, don’t much care for it…are 1 or 3 any better?

Jellyboy: Wow, looks pretty good. I guess your guy is made out of jelly?

Jerry Glenville’s Pigskin Footbrawl: Any good? Saw it back in the arcade
years ago…thought it looked pretty funny.

Jim Power: The arcade game: Wow this looks damn good! I never saw this
one in the arcade? How was it, and how is it on Genesis? This ever come
to the US?

Joe and Mac: Played it on SNES, how is it on Genesis? Have yet to find a
copy of it for a reasonable price…

Junkers High: A driving game, it looks like. Any thoughts on it?

Justice League: A decent fighter, or just a crap game with a license?

Bel, tooling right along...

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 3:33:05 PM3/20/03
Kawasaki SuperBike Challenge: Is this the one where the bikes are made
up of polygons?

King Colossus: Another RPG that looks fucking amazing!

Koutetsu Teikoku: Japanese version of Steel Empire?

Kyuukyou Tiger: Isn’t this Task Force Harrier EX here in the states?

Bel

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 3:36:43 PM3/20/03
Last Action Hero: Really shitty?

Legend of Galahad: It came over to the US as Galahad right? How was it?
Looks like Risky Woods…

Lightning Force: Isn’t this really one of the Thunder Force games?

Lord Monarch: Wow, looks pretty good…except that it’s in Japanese. A sim
maybe?

Lotus/2: Either one even remotely worth checking out?

Bel

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 3:52:48 PM3/20/03
Madouh Monogatari: Looks to be an anime style dungeon crawler? Whatever
it is, it looks badass.

Magic Girl: Looks to be a shooter, is this that one chick on the broom?

Magic School Bus: I hate to say it, but it looks kinda cool. Is it just
kiddy crap though?

Magical Taluluto Adventure: A sidescroller, from the pics, and it almost
looks like that guy from Popful Mail is the main character.

Mahjong Cop: I see this one over at VGD all the time for sale…is it some
sort of RPG?

Majikaru Hashito no Butsutobi Turbo! Daibouken: A Wonderboy game?

Marsupilami: Always wanted to try it out, but did it make it to the US?
Also, what’s up with that tail!?

Marvel Land: Typical sidescroller, or a bit better/worse?

Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein: I am imagining this is crap, just like Dracula?

Mazin Saga: Came to the US, people said it wasn’t so hot…but it looks
good. Anyone play it?

Mega SWIV: Some sort of chopper, shooter. Looks familiar, did it make it
to the US as something else?

Megapanel: A Columns 3 knockoff? Looks just like it, but with different
characters…

Mickey Mouse: The Great Circus Mystery: I know it was on the SNES here
in the states, but did this one, for the Genesis, make it as well? How
is it?

Mickey’s Ultimate Challenge: An education game or what?

Misadventures of Flink: I know this came out on the Sega CD here in the
states, but did it make it on the cart too? Also, was the Sega CD
version the same as the cart version?

Mortal Kombat 5: I shit you not. I just saw this the other day. Looks
like MK2 and 3 characters in hugely oversized MK4 wallpaper backgrounds.
Weird…but would love to see it in motion…

Mr. Nuts: Oy….well, it looks pretty alright, how is it?

Mulan: This is listed over at SegaClones as a clone game? Is it?

Bel, who is going to take a small break as his fingers are fucking
killing him...;)

Mike G

Mar 20, 2003, 3:59:16 PM3/20/03
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:36:43 -0600, BelPowerslave
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Lightning Force: Isn’t this really one of the Thunder Force games?

Yep, it's called Thunder Force IV in Japan and Europe.

--
Mike

x56h34

Mar 20, 2003, 4:33:54 PM3/20/03
> Mr. Nuts: Oy….well, it looks pretty alright, how is it?

It's a platformer with a squirrel that moves a lot like Sonic. It's got a
spin-dash move exaclty the same like Sonic. :) I loved this game on Amiga,
but never played it on Genny. It is definitelly a title worth having in your
collection. Large sprites!

Mike G

Mar 20, 2003, 4:39:09 PM3/20/03
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:52:48 -0600, BelPowerslave
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Majikaru Hashito no Butsutobi Turbo! Daibouken: A Wonderboy game?

Nope. It's a cutesy platformer which owes a huge debt to the old SMS
game "Psycho Fox". The title translates to something like "Magical
Flying Hat Turbo Adventure".

This was one of the first MD platformers I ever bought, and I don't
think I ever got around to finishing it - it's really tough.

It was released in the west as "Decap Attack", with completely
different graphics and music. They also dumbed it down by adding a
life gauge, clueless buggers.

--
Mike

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 4:58:25 PM3/20/03
>>Majikaru Hashito no Butsutobi Turbo! Daibouken: A Wonderboy game?
>

> Nope. It's a cutesy platformer which owes a huge debt to the old SMS
> game "Psycho Fox". The title translates to something like "Magical
> Flying Hat Turbo Adventure".
>
> This was one of the first MD platformers I ever bought, and I don't
> think I ever got around to finishing it - it's really tough.
>
> It was released in the west as "Decap Attack", with completely
> different graphics and music. They also dumbed it down by adding a
> life gauge, clueless buggers.

Hmmmm, I don't know, I really enjoyed Decap-Attack. Of course, not
playing the original game, I am kind of biased on that one...but it was
just so a cool game(and a long game).

Bel

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 5:06:56 PM3/20/03
New Zealand Story: A lot of people talk about this one. It looks pretty
hip, what’s it all about?

Nightmare Circus: Is this not one of the worst damn games of all time?

Ninja Burai Densetsu: A strategy game, with ninjas I am guessing?

Ninja Gaiden: Played it once…it’s not exactly the arcade game, it’s not
exactly the NES or SMS game…but kind of cool. Never seen it on ebay or
anywhere…anyone ever see this one?

No Escape: Anyone try this one out?

Nobunaga no Yabou Haouden - Lord of Darkness: Is this Nobunaga’s Ambition 2?

Normy’s Beach Babe’o’Rama: Wasn’t this banned or something? I’ve seen it
once…what’s the big deal?

Bel

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 5:10:22 PM3/20/03
Omega Race: Am I seeing things, is this really a vector game?

Onslaught: Like Poplulous, I guess? Looks odd…

Otsomatsu Kun Hachamecha Gekiio - Mr. Chunga: The screenshots of this
one crack me up. The little guy looks like one of the Terrence and
Phillip guys. Anyone see this?

Ottiffants: I have seen this somewhere else, did it make it out as
something else in the states? I remember it being incredibly hard, if I
am thinking of the right one.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 20, 2003, 6:03:13 PM3/20/03

> Fuck yeah it is, I've got RKA and the sequel(not nearly as good imo).
> RNA was amazing though, all the way through.
>
> Bel

Yeah the sequel didnt have the charm of the first........but yeah, Rocket
Knight is one of those games that shows why 16-bit really stands the test of
time...the artwork is so vibrant and the gameplay is so tight, and the
music is so good.........ah, old school Konami how I miss thee.

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 6:09:55 PM3/20/03
> Yeah the sequel didnt have the charm of the first........but yeah, Rocket
> Knight is one of those games that shows why 16-bit really stands the test of
> time...the artwork is so vibrant and the gameplay is so tight, and the
> music is so good.........ah, old school Konami how I miss thee.

Indeed, indeed....I am still trying to pinpoint the exact moment when
they went to shit...;)

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 20, 2003, 6:10:46 PM3/20/03

> Well, hang on now. I *used* to have a SNES, and quite a library. At the
> point the Saturn came out, I couldn't even remotely swing the $299(or
> was it $399) they wanted for it...but a guy who had just bought one was
> willing to sell it for $180 to me(with Panzer, WorldWide Soccer and VF
> and two controllers). I sold the SNES and all the games to get it. I do
> miss the SNES, no doubt. I should go out and pick up one again...in
> fact, I ought to sell the fucking N64 to get it...;)

Yeah dude......I'd get rid of my N64 if it wasn't for Conker. What a load
of a system. lol.....I understand the whole selling the old system to afford
the new one. I sold my NES to get a Master system.......then my Master
System to get a Genesis....then my Genesis to get a SNES.....then I got a
Genesis again.......then sold it....lol. Then I got a Nomad for $40....and
when Genesis games were dirt cheap and being cleared out at videostores and
Funcolands and whatnot, I completely rebuilt my collection back up......and
got another Genesis lol. The final seal to keep my Sega Genesis firmly in
place was that lovely S-Video adaptor I got on Ebay - saw it once, never saw
it again. Man that thing makes those games look beautiful.

> Now, as for the music being better on most SNES versions of games, I
> agree...but only to a point.

Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite soundtracks are from the
Genesis....Alisia Dragoon, Sonic 2, Rocket Knight, Castlevania, Streets of
Rage 1/2, etc etc etc.........brilliant stuff. However, SNES had a wider
range of samples and instruments, and when it came to cross platform games
like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, ,Aero the Acrobat, Mortal Kombat 2, Rock 'n
Roll Racing, Lost Vikings, etc......the SNES versions almost always sounded
MUCH better.

> Most games, I felt, play better on the
> Genesis and this is what really counts for me.

Yeah, I'm not disputing that. There's that SOLID Genesis "feel" that is
hard to explain but we all know what it is. I'm just saying that 16-bit was
the greatest era of gaming in my opinion, and the SNES and Genesis
compliment each other so well because they both have such a great library of
excellent exclusive games.

>Fighters are a good
> example...nothing beats the Genesis 6 button pad(except maybe the
> Japanese Saturn's pad). ;)

Heh, yeah......but I got pretty friggin good at SF2 using the SNES shoulder
buttons..heh. I prefered the SNES one cuz of the colors and sound, which
really do shit all over the Genesis versions. Although it's quite amazing
when you play SF2 or Mortal Kombat 2 on the Nomad, they look arcade perfect
(but smaller)

Joe Ottoson

Mar 20, 2003, 6:16:59 PM3/20/03

>> Yeah the sequel didnt have the charm of the first........but yeah,
>> Rocket Knight is one of those games that shows why 16-bit really
>> stands the test of time...the artwork is so vibrant and the gameplay
>> is so tight, and the music is so good.........ah, old school Konami
>> how I miss thee.
>
> Indeed, indeed....I am still trying to pinpoint the exact moment when
> they went to shit...;)

Appaloosa.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 20, 2003, 6:26:14 PM3/20/03

> James Pond 1&3: I have part 2, don’t much care for it…are 1 or 3 any
better?

JP2 was the best one.....just stick w/ that. If you dont like it, you'll
hate the other two

> Joe and Mac: Played it on SNES, how is it on Genesis? Have yet to find a
> copy of it for a reasonable price…

It's much smoother on Genesis...came out a few years later than the SNES
one.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 20, 2003, 6:30:44 PM3/20/03

> Marvel Land: Typical sidescroller, or a bit better/worse?

Completely generic, but also playable. It's just "there"

> Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein: I am imagining this is crap, just like
Dracula?

Unplayable.

> Mazin Saga: Came to the US, people said it wasn’t so hot…but it looks
> good. Anyone play it?

It's weird....not that great...but strangely cool. You run around fighting
guys like Final Fight, but then grow huge to fight monsters and it turns
into a godzilla fight. Cool graphics.

> Misadventures of Flink: I know this came out on the Sega CD here in the
> states, but did it make it on the cart too? Also, was the Sega CD
> version the same as the cart version?

I'm pretty sure only the Sega CD version came out in the US. That game
rules.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 20, 2003, 6:32:18 PM3/20/03

> New Zealand Story: A lot of people talk about this one. It looks pretty
> hip, what’s it all about?

It's by Taito...it's kind of alike a sidescrolling Bubble Bobble/Rainbow
Islands w/ a little Kiwi bird. It was my very first import ever. :)

> Normy’s Beach Babe’o’Rama: Wasn’t this banned or something? I’ve seen it
> once…what’s the big deal?

I tried playing it when I worked at Funco...I couldn't figure the fucking
thing out..lol. Man, ,I forgot about a lot of these weird obscure games.

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 6:36:32 PM3/20/03
> Yeah dude......I'd get rid of my N64 if it wasn't for Conker.

Yeah, I feel that way right now, but about Duke Nukem: Zero Hour. That
one is just so good, to me.

What a load
> of a system.

You got that right.

lol.....I understand the whole selling the old system to afford
> the new one. I sold my NES to get a Master system.......then my Master
> System to get a Genesis....then my Genesis to get a SNES.....then I got a
> Genesis again.......then sold it....lol.

Hehehheh, that's pretty good.

Then I got a Nomad for $40....and
> when Genesis games were dirt cheap and being cleared out at videostores and
> Funcolands and whatnot, I completely rebuilt my collection back up......and
> got another Genesis lol. The final seal to keep my Sega Genesis firmly in
> place was that lovely S-Video adaptor I got on Ebay - saw it once, never saw
> it again. Man that thing makes those games look beautiful.

Hmmmmm, that would be interesting to see. As long as you didn't get that
super-shitty sharp SFA3 on DC(with S-Video) pixelization due to the
S-Video...that would rock.

> Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite soundtracks are from the
> Genesis....Alisia Dragoon, Sonic 2, Rocket Knight, Castlevania, Streets of
> Rage 1/2, etc etc etc.........brilliant stuff. However, SNES had a wider
> range of samples and instruments, and when it came to cross platform games
> like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, ,Aero the Acrobat, Mortal Kombat 2, Rock 'n
> Roll Racing, Lost Vikings, etc......the SNES versions almost always sounded
> MUCH better.

Definitely Rock n Roll Racing...still love that game. I played it on
Genesis once, it didn't seem as good, I don't know what it was about it...

> Yeah, I'm not disputing that. There's that SOLID Genesis "feel" that is
> hard to explain but we all know what it is. I'm just saying that 16-bit was
> the greatest era of gaming in my opinion, and the SNES and Genesis
> compliment each other so well because they both have such a great library of
> excellent exclusive games.

Agreed. It's just, places like to jack your ass for SNES stuff. I mean,
the SNES is, what, $40 at most GameStops? THat's more than the N64 and
even the DC...which is just unbelievable. A lot of the SNES games
*start* at $10, which also kills me...but I'll tell you what, for that
kind of money, I couldn't afford to buy crap..;)

> Heh, yeah......but I got pretty friggin good at SF2 using the SNES shoulder
> buttons..heh. I prefered the SNES one cuz of the colors and sound, which
> really do shit all over the Genesis versions.

I actually prefer the Genesis version's sound and effects on SF2:SCE and
SSF2. Though they were really scratchy, the Genesis version has the
actual arcade samples for SF2:CE where as the SNES version had that one
"hadoken" they sped up or slowed down depending on the strength. The
Genesis music too, was just great, loved the hardcore drumming on most
of the tracks, and the little "clapper" instrument that Renovation was
so fond of using, sounded great on Vega's stage. I will say that on
SF2:SCE, the SNES version's graphics do look a bit better, but Capcom
outdid themselves on SSF2, with the 40 megs and the vastly improved
coloring...I mean, shit, it some of those stages looked like they had
WAY more than 64 colors on screen(and every bit as good as the SNES's SSF2).

Although it's quite amazing
> when you play SF2 or Mortal Kombat 2 on the Nomad, they look arcade perfect
> (but smaller)

Yeah, and MK3 looks fucking great too. A little too dithered on a TV, at
times, it actually looks like new colors on the smaller Nomad screen.

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 7:06:00 PM3/20/03
>>New Zealand Story: A lot of people talk about this one. It looks pretty
>>hip, what’s it all about?
>

> It's by Taito...it's kind of alike a sidescrolling Bubble Bobble/Rainbow
> Islands w/ a little Kiwi bird. It was my very first import ever. :)

Interesting, and sounds pretty good!

>>Normy’s Beach Babe’o’Rama: Wasn’t this banned or something? I’ve seen it
>>once…what’s the big deal?
>

> I tried playing it when I worked at Funco...I couldn't figure the fucking
> thing out..lol. Man, ,I forgot about a lot of these weird obscure games.

Heheheh, that's why I am here...;)

McGarrett

Mar 20, 2003, 7:29:53 PM3/20/03
...so we can talk about "Zombies Ate My Neighbors"!! Man, Konami had a real
gem on their hands with that one. I loved saving BBQ'ing dads & pom-pom
shaking cheerleaders. Nope, it just doesn't get much better than that.

McGarrett

-Making his way through life one zombie game at a time-

SUPrUNown

Mar 20, 2003, 7:32:46 PM3/20/03

> Justice League: A decent fighter, or just a crap game with a license?

Crap game with a licence. The gameplay is pretty bad, and that's being nice.
The controls suck too.

--
****** SUPrUNown ******
matr...@mts.net

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 20, 2003, 10:22:42 PM3/20/03

> Indeed, indeed....I am still trying to pinpoint the exact moment when
> they went to shit...;)

Konami went to shit at the end of SNES, beginning of Saturn/PSX...when they
stopped releasing their best Japanese games here like Mystical Ninja 2,
Parodius, Policenauts in favor of shitty sports games and licensed
crap.......and giving Contra to the brits.......and refusing to put Alucard
on Castlevania's cover because "he looked gay"......its ALMOST turning
around now that they've acknowledged that DDR is popular in the US and
Castlevania artwork isn't gay, but they really missed the boat w/ Bemani and
could have made a ton w/ Beatmania, Guitar Freaks, etc.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 20, 2003, 10:28:49 PM3/20/03

> Hmmmmm, that would be interesting to see. As long as you didn't get that
> super-shitty sharp SFA3 on DC(with S-Video) pixelization due to the
> S-Video...that would rock.

Well if your TVs set up right, nothing should look "super shitty sharp".
Anyway, the Genesis S-Video thing I got VASTLY improves the picture....many
Genesis games have a rainbowing effect (like Sonic's waterfalls or
Castlevania's lifebar)......S-Video completely gets rid of it. It's so
completely beautifully clean.

BelPowerslave

Mar 20, 2003, 11:54:17 PM3/20/03
McGarrett wrote:

There's just so many games coming in the S's I want to talk about...I will try
to finish up tomorrow though, I promise. Friday's in the library are generally
extremely light...;)

Bel

--

"The time has now come...to prove your the best,
to crush your enemies...to win the tournament."

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 12:24:37 AM3/21/03

Wow, sounds really cool. I see this one around from time to time, will have to
pick it up. :)

Thanks,

Bel

--

"The time has now come...to prove your the best,

Floris van den Berg

Mar 21, 2003, 10:26:57 AM3/21/03
"BelPowerslave" <belpow...@ev1.net> schreef in bericht

> New Zealand Story: A lot of people talk about this one. It looks pretty
> hip, what’s it all about?

New Zealand Story is the megadrive/genesis version of a taito coin op. It's
awesome. Get it. And hand me a copy as well.

Floris

Floris van den Berg

Mar 21, 2003, 10:29:03 AM3/21/03
> Incredible Hulk: Is it as bad as everyone says?

Just your average, 13 in a dozen, jump & run side scroller. It's ok, but
nothing to get excited about.

Floris

Ocelot

Mar 21, 2003, 10:48:48 AM3/21/03
BelPowerslave <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<3E7A2A20...@ev1.net>...

> Madouh Monogatari: Looks to be an anime style dungeon crawler? Whatever

> Magic Girl: Looks to be a shooter, is this that one chick on the broom?

Thats Panorama Cotton. This sounds to be a clone, or perhaps a pirate
hack of the game.

> Magic School Bus: I hate to say it, but it looks kinda cool. Is it just
> kiddy crap though?

It has quite a hidden classic-esque games in it, apparently

> Marsupilami: Always wanted to try it out, but did it make it to the US?
> Also, what’s up with that tail!?

Made it stateside, yes. Very late release.

> Mega SWIV: Some sort of chopper, shooter. Looks familiar, did it make it
> to the US as something else?

Follow up to the Arcade/NES Side scroller Silkworm (SWIV is supposed
to stand for Silkworm 4, but I've heard it also stands for something
else as well) though this game is a top-down shooter instead of a side
scroller. Never made it to the US on the Genesis, but the US SNES got
it as Firepower 2000.

Regards,
Rob S.

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 11:42:41 AM3/21/03
>>Incredible Hulk: Is it as bad as everyone says?
>

> Just your average, 13 in a dozen, jump & run side scroller. It's ok, but
> nothing to get excited about.

Ok, well, that's not too bad...I had heard it was absolutely,
unbelievably bad...maybe they were talking about the Saturn/PSX
versions(there is one right?).

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 12:09:45 PM3/21/03
>>Justice League: A decent fighter, or just a crap game with a license?
>>

> Crap game with a licence. The gameplay is pretty bad, and that's being nice.
> The controls suck too.

That's too bad, it always looked alright. Imagine if someone like Capcom
would have gotten a hold of it, and did a MSH-style fighter...

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 12:10:41 PM3/21/03
>>Magic School Bus: I hate to say it, but it looks kinda cool. Is it just
>>kiddy crap though?
>

> It has quite a hidden classic-esque games in it, apparently

Really? What is it?

>>Mega SWIV: Some sort of chopper, shooter. Looks familiar, did it make it
>>to the US as something else?
>

> Follow up to the Arcade/NES Side scroller Silkworm (SWIV is supposed
> to stand for Silkworm 4, but I've heard it also stands for something
> else as well) though this game is a top-down shooter instead of a side
> scroller. Never made it to the US on the Genesis, but the US SNES got
> it as Firepower 2000.

Wow, I loved SilkWorm on the NES, would love to see this one!

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 1:02:32 PM3/21/03
Panchiko Canyon: Looks to be yet another RPG that never made it
stateside. Anyone try it?

Panorama Cotton: Is it really worth $170?

Paperboy 2: Don’t much care for the first, is part 2 any better?

Patlabor: Looks sort of like Fatal Labyrinth, but smaller. Anyone see it?

Pengo: This is the one with the penguin right? Is it a puzzle game?

Phantom 2040: Looks pretty cool, is it a shooter, or what?

Pinocchio: Looks like they used the exact same engine from Mickey Mania,
and it’s gorgeous. Always want to pick this one up, but it’s always $12
or higher, and cart only!

Pocahontas: I thought I had this one, but don’t, must have played it
somewhere though. You tag team with the raccoon guy to get through
levels. I think I played a little of the first, and kinda liked it. How
is the rest of the game?

Pocket Monsters: An unlicensed Pokemon knockoff…wonder how much this
sucker went for at the peak of Poke’fever…

Populous 2: Two Tribes/Wrath of the Gods: I am assuming they are both
the same game, and only came out in the UK?

Power Athlete: Looks like PowerMoves, is it?

PowerDrive: Looks a lot like that other overhead racer that someone said
was terrible…is it the same thing?

Power Instinct: The only of the series I have played is Groove On
Fight(PI3), but I really like it. How are the other two, and how is the
Genesis conversion of part one?

Psy-O-Blade Moving Adventure: They have this one for sale over at VGD,
it always looks interesting. Japanese only, I am guessing?

Psycho Pinball: Wow, looks damn good! This one make it outside of Japan?

Puggsy: I didn’t realize this made it to the Genesis…UK only?

The Punisher: I rented it once, a long time ago, is it two player? I
don’t remember it being so…

Puzzle and Action: Got the Saturn version over at The West Exit, didn’t
even realize there were Mega Drive versions. Anyone try either of them?
On that note, has anyone played the Saturn version? There’s this one
puzzle game I have no clue what they are trying to have us do….

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 1:05:13 PM3/21/03
Qix: A shooter, I've not tried it, some say it's great. Opinions?

Just a general question: How many Genesis games out there start with Q?
There's this one and Quackshot...anything else?

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 1:14:52 PM3/21/03
Race Driven’: Though slow and little clunky, I love Hard Driven’ on the
Genesis, how is RD?

Radical Rex: Looks sorta childish, but also kinda fun. Any good?

Rainbow Island: I’ve never played any of them, but what’s the actual
concept?

Rastan Saga 2: Though not terrible, was anyone else as disappointed with
it as I was?

Resq: Looks so very familiar. It’s a shooter, a space shooter…that ship,
damn I know Iv’e seen it somewhere…

Road Blasters: How is it on the Genesis?

Robocop 3: Still disappointed we didn’t get the first one, from the
arcade, is this one any good?

Rockman X3: Wowsers, who would have guessed? An unlicensed game,
apparently, I wonder how it is? This would be a cool one to see…

Rolling Thunder: I have seen this listed on sites for the Genesis, but
they’ve got to be wrong, it’s got to be RT2 or 3, right?

Rolo to the Rescue: You are a blob that turns into things or what?

Mike G

Mar 21, 2003, 1:16:49 PM3/21/03
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:05:13 -0600, BelPowerslave
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Just a general question: How many Genesis games out there start with Q?
>There's this one and Quackshot...anything else?

Er... Quad Challenge. That's about it, I think.

--
Mike

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 1:46:37 PM3/21/03
SS Lucifer - Man Overboard!: A lot of people seem to talk about this
one, how is it? Looks pretty cool.

Sagia: I see this one for $4.90 at the local gaming shop, but it’s cart
only…is it worth $5? I do love the others…

Sailor Moon: I’m not much one for the anime, but shit, this looks
fucking great! Is it a fighting game or what?

Seaquest DSV: You cruise around in the sub, is there anything else to it?

The Second Samurai: This one looks badass. Has anyone seen it!?

Shi Kin Joh: I have no idea what’s going on on this one, but the
backgrounds are nice…;)

Shiten Myooh: I know I seen this one, isn’t it something else in the US?
Shadow Blasters maybe?

Simpsons games: Any of them. Are they any good, any of them? I am
especially interested in hearing about Bart’s Nightmare and Virtua Bart…

Slap Fight: Looks like a shooter…any real slapping going on it it? ;)

Smurfs/2: Damn, looks so cartoony and good. How are they? Were they UK
only or what?

Snow Brothers: Like Rainbow Islands, I don’t understand it from the shots…

Socket: This one is always expensive…is it that good?

Sorcerer’s Kingdom: Am I the only one who has ever played this? If not,
what did you think of it? I thought it was amazingly good…

Socerian: What is it? Looks like King’s Quest or something…

Speedy Gonzales: A decent cartoon game, or crap?

Spider-Man: The Animated Series: The graphics look really nice, how’s
the gameplay that needs to go with it?

Spider-Man and X-Men - Arcade's Revenge: This was the one that was on
the SNES too, right? If so, God that was bad…

Spiritual WareFare: Another Wisdom Tree Bible based game?

Spirou: Nice looking platformer, anyone see this one?

Star Cruiser: Touted to be cool because it’s made with polygons…anyone
find it as horrible as I did?

Star Trek - Deep Space 9 - Crossroads of Time: What is it? Sort of a
side scrolling adventure/action game?

Street Racer: The pics make it look like its doing software scaling, is
it? If so, how is it?

Super 1998 Sonic 6: Looks like ass….it’s Sonic 1(his SMS sprite) in SMB
1 levels…

Super HQ: Did the Chase HQ games make it out in the states? If so, how
are they?

Super Hydlide: I just got it in the mail a bit ago…it’s not too bad…but
does anyone else think it would be such a better game if you didn’t have
to worry about a fucking meal every 5 minutes(it seems like)? I need to
look into some GG code if I am going to play this one…

Super Skidmarks: Says it’s a Codemasters game? UK only?

Superman: Is it really as bad as 99.9.5% of the people say?

Surging Aura: Goddammit, yet another fucking RPG we didn’t get…back in
the 16 bit days when people wanted RPG’s, what they fuck were these
developers thinking not bringing these over? This one looks really good too!

Sylvester and Tweety in Cagey Capers: Crap or pretty good?

Bel, on a break(well in order after this post)...;)

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 1:49:37 PM3/21/03
>>Puggsy: I didn’t realize this made it to the Genesis…UK only?
>

> Nope, also released in the US. I own the Sega CD version, but I've
> never played it. Came as part of a package I won on eBay.

Hmmmm, hey Zombie, isn't this the one you said had that badass music on
the SNES?

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 2:00:57 PM3/21/03
Tetris: Is this an unlicensed cart?

Tiger Hunter Hero Novel: Wow, another great looking RPG we never saw…

Time Killers: Was about to come out, got cancelled, someone else brought
it out later…how bad is it?

Tintin Au Tibet: Weird looking game…as far as I can tell you race people
to the top of a wall?

Todd’s Adventures in SlimeWorld: Always wanted to play it back when I
had a Lynx, but never got a chance. How is it on the Genesis?

Toys: It looks like total ass, is it?

Traysia: I have it, and have no FUCKING clue what’s going on…anyone get
anywhere on this one?

Twinkle Tale: Have heard about and seen shots of this one. Is it a
shooter, or an adventure game though?

Bel, off to lunch...

Mike G

Mar 21, 2003, 2:19:46 PM3/21/03
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:46:37 -0600, BelPowerslave
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Sagia: I see this one for $4.90 at the local gaming shop, but it’s cart
>only…is it worth $5? I do love the others…

A.K.A. Darius II. It's better than the Saturn version in my opinion,
and definitely worth splashing $5 on.

>Simpsons games: Any of them. Are they any good, any of them? I am
>especially interested in hearing about Bart’s Nightmare and Virtua Bart…

Krusty's Super Fun House is superb, don't care much for Bart vs. Space
Mutants. I haven't played any of the others.

>Snow Brothers: Like Rainbow Islands, I don’t understand it from the shots…

It's very like Bubble Bobble - but you encase the enemies in snowballs
rather than bubbles, and can fire the resulting balls around the
screen. Great fun in 2-player mode.

--
Mike

Joe Ottoson

Mar 21, 2003, 2:20:50 PM3/21/03
BelPowerslave <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in news:3E7B569...@ev1.net:

> Rastan Saga 2: Though not terrible, was anyone else as disappointed with
> it as I was?

I never saw the appeal of Rastan period if that helps. ;)

> Road Blasters: How is it on the Genesis?

Not bad as I remember it...

Mike G

Mar 21, 2003, 2:22:17 PM3/21/03
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:00:57 -0600, BelPowerslave
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Twinkle Tale: Have heard about and seen shots of this one. Is it a
>shooter, or an adventure game though?

It's a shooter, but it's a self-scroller, which makes it feel a bit
like Gauntlet. Not bad at all.

--
Mike

Joe Ottoson

Mar 21, 2003, 2:25:14 PM3/21/03
BelPowerslave <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in news:3E7B6169.2040403
@ev1.net:

> Time Killers: Was about to come out, got cancelled, someone else brought

> it out later卙ow bad is it?

The arcade game sucked. Now imagine a stripped down port of that sucky
game...

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 2:52:50 PM3/21/03
UltraMan: I never have really seen what others see in it…is this one any
different than all the others?

Unecessary Roughness: Is it based off the movie or what? Any good, seems
like a Super High Impact rip-off…

Bel

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 2:58:34 PM3/21/03
V Five: A shooter…looks really nice. Anyone ever see it?

VR Troopers: The graphics look really nice, but I am guessing it plays
like ass?

Valis: The Phantasm Soldier: Is this the same thing as Valis, part one,
we got in the US here from Renovation?

Valis Syd: Saw it a long time ago, always wanted to give it a shot. Any
good?

Verytex: Damn, yet another shooter we missed out on!

Virtual Pinball: Did this one ever make it out? Looks really good!

Vixen 357: Dammit…yet another decent looking RPG we missed…

Volfied: Isn’t this Qix/Ultimate Qix?

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 3:04:36 PM3/21/03
Wacky Worlds: Wasn’t this one of those Pico games?

Wani Wani World: 16-bit Shoots and Ladders?

Wardner/Wardner Special: Did it actually make it out in the US? I
remember it being advertised. Anyone know the differences between the two?

Warlock: Doesn’t look half bad…but is it any good?

Warp Speed: Looks like the space scene at the end of MoonWalker. Anyone
try it?

WaterWorld: Did this one ever actually come out?

Wayne’s World: Anyone else, without a doubt, believe this to be the
absolute worst game of all time?

Wiz-n-Liz: What is it?

Wolf Child: Often times see it, but would rather opt for the Sega CD
version. Any opinions on either version?

World Heroes: I can’t rememeber, was this any good on Genesis?

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 3:07:02 PM3/21/03
X Dazedly Ray: I see this one over at VGD all the time, is it any good?

good…I love to torture the guys, then shoot them or something…;)

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 3:13:05 PM3/21/03
Ya-Se Chuan Shuo: Thank God we’re at the end of the alphabet, so I can
stop getting pissed about yet another RPG we missed out on…

Yang Warrior Family, The: This looks absolutely, fucking badass! Like
SoR, with weapons…man, this would be one to check out! Anyone play it!?

Yogi Bear's Cartoon Capers: I’m guessing UK-only? Anyone see it?

Young Indiana Jones: Did anyone else find this one to be really bad? I
played it a long time ago, so I may be a bit fuzzy…but wasn’t your whip
like a piece of string or something? Also, did it actually ever make it
out on Sega CD like it was planned to?

Y’s 3: I’ve never played a Y’s game, but I’d like to try it. It made it
to the US via Renovation right? How is it? It looks like a sidescroller?

Yu Yu Hakushu: I’ve seen two different names accompany the title, are
there two different games of it out there?

BelPowerslave

Mar 21, 2003, 3:17:55 PM3/21/03
Zany Golf: Old EA game…any good?

Zero Tolerance: Beyond: Anyone try the beta out? How is it?

Zero Wing: Getting past that whole “your bases” thing, how is the actual
game?

Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel: Looks really cool, anyone give it a shot?

Zombies Ate My Neighbors: Believe it or not, I’ve never played it. It’s
damn good or what?

Zool: Bought this one, it was cart and box only…popped it in the
Genesis, it was Sonic 3. Dammit! How is it!?

Zoom: Really bad?

Well folks, that's it. I hope ya'll, somewhat at least, enjoyed it and I
hope to see a lot of conversation in RGVS and ASG this weekend. :)

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 21, 2003, 3:17:07 PM3/21/03

> Hmmmm, hey Zombie, isn't this the one you said had that badass music on
> the SNES?

I don't think Puggsy ever came out on SNES.. That was probably PLOK! I was
talking about.........best music ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Greg
"Hello floor!!! Make me a sammich!!!!"
-GIR, Invader Zim

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 21, 2003, 3:19:00 PM3/21/03

> Paperboy 2: Don’t much care for the first, is part 2 any better?

Paperboy 1 on Genesis is one of the best home conversions of the game....if
you didnt like it, dont get Pt2..it's an afront to the Paperboy name.

> Phantom 2040: Looks pretty cool, is it a shooter, or what?

They were doing this at Viacom while I was there, too....it's actually
pretty good! A very well done and underrated action/adventure platformer.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 21, 2003, 3:21:32 PM3/21/03

> Qix: A shooter, I've not tried it, some say it's great. Opinions?

Qix isn't a shooter. It's the classic old Taito arcade game where you move a
line from the screen edge to uncover the playing field while dodging erratic
bad guys. Uncover a certain percent and you clear the level.

There was a Qix clone on SNES called "Cacoma Knight in Bizzyland" (dumbest
title ever?) and in the arcades called Gals Panic (where you uncovered hot
chicks instead of just colored patterns)

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 21, 2003, 3:24:48 PM3/21/03

> Race Driven’: Though slow and little clunky, I love Hard Driven’ on the
> Genesis, how is RD?

Awful.

> Radical Rex: Looks sorta childish, but also kinda fun. Any good?

Generic.

> Rainbow Island: I’ve never played any of them, but what’s the actual
> concept?

Bubble Bobble sequel. Bub and Bob are kids instead of dinosaurs, and kill
guys w/ rainbows instead of bubbles. Just get Bubble Bobble Collection for
Saturn...it's on there.

> Rastan Saga 2: Though not terrible, was anyone else as disappointed with
> it as I was?

Yeah.....big character sprite didn't equal better game.

> Road Blasters: How is it on the Genesis?

Very very good conversion! If you like the arcade , it's pretty exact.

> Robocop 3: Still disappointed we didn’t get the first one, from the
> arcade, is this one any good?

The arcade version and Robo Vs. Terminator were the best.......everything
else blows. Robo 3 was by Ocean I think.....their licensed movie games
BLOW. Ever try Cool World?! Glargh.

> Rolo to the Rescue: You are a blob that turns into things or what?

All I remember is that he's an elephant and its designed a lot like James
Pond. You'll hate it.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 21, 2003, 3:31:29 PM3/21/03

> Sagia: I see this one for $4.90 at the local gaming shop, but it’s cart
> only…is it worth $5? I do love the others…

Yeah, it's really good! Darius 2 w/ a different name.

> Simpsons games: Any of them. Are they any good, any of them? I am
> especially interested in hearing about Bart’s Nightmare and Virtua Bart…

Bart's Nightmare is actually somewhat fun once you get in the groove of
it...it's really offputting at first..but, again....get the SNES version.
Part of the charm is the really trippy music, which is lost on the Genesis.
Virtual Bart is TERRIBLE and so is Space Mutants (just a NES port).

> Snow Brothers: Like Rainbow Islands, I don’t understand it from the shots…

Really fun Bubble Bobblesque game. You shoot snow at guys and roll them
around in big snowballs.

> Socket: This one is always expensive…is it that good?

A good Sonic clone w/ annoying-as-shit sound FX in the US version.

> Street Racer: The pics make it look like its doing software scaling, is
> it? If so, how is it?

The SNES version was a Mario Kart clone, ,but I never played the Genesis
version.

> Sylvester and Tweety in Cagey Capers: Crap or pretty good?

Didn't play it for long, but the animation and voices were really nice.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 21, 2003, 3:33:18 PM3/21/03

> Unecessary Roughness: Is it based off the movie or what? Any good, seems
> like a Super High Impact rip-off…

The movie was called Necessary Roughness.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 21, 2003, 3:35:46 PM3/21/03

> Wani Wani World: 16-bit Shoots and Ladders?

Sounds like it might be the Japanese version of The Berlin Wall......?? Is
it by Kaneco?

> Wardner/Wardner Special: Did it actually make it out in the US? I
> remember it being advertised. Anyone know the differences between the two?

Wardner came out...I bet that's pretty rare......it was by some early 3rd
party that no longer exists. It was a pretty lame Mario wannabe.

> Warlock: Doesn’t look half bad…but is it any good?

The one by Acclaim based on the movie? SUCKS.

> Wiz-n-Liz: What is it?

It's about a little girl with bladder problems.

Ted

Mar 21, 2003, 5:25:47 PM3/21/03

BelPowerslave wrote:
snip

> Y’s 3: I’ve never played a Y’s game, but I’d like to try it. It made it
> to the US via Renovation right? How is it? It looks like a sidescroller?

Hey! A Genesis game I have that Bel doesn't! And one of my favorite
things on the Genesis! Just like Mega Bomberman!
I'd say it's more like a side view Zelda than anyhing else. And it is
from Renovation.

Ocelot

Mar 21, 2003, 5:46:20 PM3/21/03
> The Second Samurai: This one looks badass. Has anyone seen it!?

PAL only. I've got a copy and it's pretty good, though it's not as
good as First Samurai (which only got a SNES port, other than Amiga
and ST)

> Smurfs/2: Damn, looks so cartoony and good. How are they? Were they UK
> only or what?

PAL only. For some reason the first game is harder to find than the
sequel. The opposite is true of the respective SMS versions.

>> Star Trek - Deep Space 9 - Crossroads of Time: What is it? Sort of
> side scrolling adventure/action game?

More of an action/adventure in the vein of Beyond Oasis or the
original Star Trek console game (came out for the NES). A friend of
mine worked on the artwork for this game and has a beta with some
levels that weren't included in the final release.

> Super Skidmarks: Says it’s a Codemasters game? UK only?

Yup. PAL only, and it will not work on NTSC machines period, even
with a converter like a Mega Key. Your machine and display need to be
PAL. :-(

Regards,
Rob S.

Ocelot

Mar 21, 2003, 5:49:50 PM3/21/03
BelPowerslave <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<3E7B53B8...@ev1.net>...
> Panchiko Canyon: Looks to be yet another RPG that never made it
> stateside. Anyone try it?
>
> Panorama Cotton: Is it really worth $170?

Only with the Teacup.

> Pengo: This is the one with the penguin right? Is it a puzzle game?

More Bomberman-ish than a puzzler and I think the Japanese version has
the original arcade game in there as well.

>> Populous 2: Two Tribes/Wrath of the Gods: I am assuming they are
both
> the same game, and only came out in the UK?

Yes, and Yes.

> PowerDrive: Looks a lot like that other overhead racer that someone said
> was terrible…is it the same thing?

UK only (well, it also came out in Brazil too). It's pretty crap.

> Psycho Pinball: Wow, looks damn good! This one make it outside of Japan?

UK only, never released in Japan or US.

Regards,
Rob S.

Nicholas E. Andrade

Mar 21, 2003, 7:46:21 PM3/21/03

BelPowerslave wrote:

> >>No SNES...but I'll go ahead and pick it up on the Genesis at some point.
> >>Does it still have those bits where, from the pics, it looked like you
> >>were diving into a barrel via some "mode 7" scaling(on the Genesis)?
> >

> > Dude. Why dont you have a SNES. It isn't like today where pretty much the

> > same shit is on all consoles w/ a few exclusives on each..........Genesis
> > and SNES had vastly different libraries and there is some great shit on
> > SNES......not to mention that most of the cross platform games just had MUCH
> > better music on SNES...Aero's music really is brilliant on SNES, and the
> > Genesis conversion didn't do it justice. You're really missing out on some
> > of the most wonderful 16-bit games without a SNES.
>
> Well, hang on now. I *used* to have a SNES, and quite a library. At the
> point the Saturn came out, I couldn't even remotely swing the $299(or
> was it $399) they wanted for it...but a guy who had just bought one was
> willing to sell it for $180 to me(with Panzer, WorldWide Soccer and VF
> and two controllers). I sold the SNES and all the games to get it. I do
> miss the SNES, no doubt. I should go out and pick up one again...in
> fact, I ought to sell the fucking N64 to get it...;)
>
> Now, as for the music being better on most SNES versions of games, I
> agree...but only to a point. Most games, I felt, play better on the
> Genesis and this is what really counts for me.

I never owned a SNES til last year, and I must say I have come to the same
conclusion Genesis generally wins in the gameplay department. This is especially
true with the sports games in my experience. For example, I picked up NHL 95 for
the Genesis (Swingers!) and NHL 98 for the SNES the same day, and the Genesis
versions blows the SNES version out of the water. Graphics are slightly better
for the SNES, but it is so damn slow it is almost unplayable.

> Fighters are a good
> example...nothing beats the Genesis 6 button pad(except maybe the
> Japanese Saturn's pad). ;)

Totally agree, I love the Saturn controllers (even the 3D one). The OEM Saturn
controller though is perfect for almost every game I have, great size, button
placement, etc.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 21, 2003, 8:52:18 PM3/21/03

> Zany Golf: Old EA game…any good?

Very choppy graphics and animation...cool course design though. It will
only work on the first Genesis though.

> Zero Wing: Getting past that whole “your bases” thing, how is the actual
> game?

It's a pretty good shooter. I mean, Genesis has a million shooters...it's
not the best, it's not the worst. It's solid.

> Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel: Looks really cool, anyone give it a shot?

Like Aero but w/ more moves and variety. Better on SNES cuz of the music
(like Aero)

> Zombies Ate My Neighbors: Believe it or not, I’ve never played it. It’s
> damn good or what?

Imagine Smash TV but w/ big wide open levels and a goofy sense of humor.
Again, better on SNES (graphics and music)

> Zool: Bought this one, it was cart and box only…popped it in the
> Genesis, it was Sonic 3. Dammit! How is it!?

LOL......the gaudy colors and fast/floaty Euro control ruin it.

> Zoom: Really bad?

Zoom's worth having for the bizzare "Get on, boooooy!" voice sample. If you
like old school arcade style games you'll like it. It's like a cross
between Qix and Q*Bert.

SUPrUNown

Mar 21, 2003, 10:39:01 PM3/21/03

> Volfied: Isn’t this Qix/Ultimate Qix?

Kinda. Same gameplay as Qix, exceot I think you only drew at one speed
instead of two. However, they added stuff like lasers to kill opponents,
etc. Kinda like, Breakout is to Arkanoid as Qix is to Volfied.

--
****** SUPrUNown ******
matr...@mts.net

Mike G

Mar 22, 2003, 8:33:22 AM3/22/03
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:58:34 -0600, BelPowerslave
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>V Five: A shooter…looks really nice. Anyone ever see it?

It's the Jap version of Grind Stormer, as I mentioned earlier. I
always thought it was called "V.V" rather than V Five though - didn't
realise the second V was a Roman 5 symbol ;-)

Anyway, it's a nice shooter, which I wish I'd bought when it was
released.

>Volfied: Isn’t this Qix/Ultimate Qix?

Yep, Japanese version of Ultimate Qix.

--
Mike

Mike G

Mar 22, 2003, 8:47:45 AM3/22/03
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:04:36 -0600, BelPowerslave
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Wardner/Wardner Special: Did it actually make it out in the US? I
>remember it being advertised. Anyone know the differences between the two?

Yep, it did come out in the US (it was released by Mentrix).

Wardner Special is the original Jap version, released by Visco. The US
version is called just "Wardner". The Jap version has Japanese text,
that's the only difference as far as I know.

>Wiz-n-Liz: What is it?

A platformer - you're a wizard. There's a split-screen 2 player mode,
I think. Can't remember much about it.

>Wolf Child: Often times see it, but would rather opt for the Sega CD
>version. Any opinions on either version?

It's an Amiga port - and a very average platformer, in my opinion. Not
Core Design's finest hour by any means. The CD version has excellent
music, though.

--
Mike

Mike G

Mar 22, 2003, 8:58:02 AM3/22/03
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:17:55 -0600, BelPowerslave
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Zero Wing: Getting past that whole “your bases” thing, how is the actual
>game?

Very good. I didn't find it as enjoyable as either Hellfire or
Gynoug/WoW, but it comes close.

>Zool: Bought this one, it was cart and box only…popped it in the
>Genesis, it was Sonic 3. Dammit! How is it!?

Average. It's basically a poor man's Sonic, ported from the Amiga.

--
Mike

Matt

Mar 22, 2003, 8:58:02 AM3/22/03
> Yu Yu Hakushu: I?ve seen two different names accompany the title, are
> there two different games of it out there?

Yeah, there are two different Mega Drive releases based on the Yu Yu
Hakusho franchise. The most sought after is Treasure's excellent
4-player 'one-on-one'-style beat'em-up, which goes by the name of "Yu
Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen". The second, "Yu Yu Hakusho: Gaiden", is
a rather poor anime-style RPG.

-Matt

Matt

Mar 22, 2003, 9:07:23 AM3/22/03
Hey, don't forget Langrisser II - probably the best strategy-RPG on
the Mega Drive. It's the sequel to the much under-rated Warsong, and
in my opinion plays even better than the mighty Shining Force II.
Anyone else worship this game?

-Matt

Matt

Mar 22, 2003, 9:12:04 AM3/22/03
> V Five: A shooter?looks really nice. Anyone ever see it?

Yes, this title was released outside Japan as 'Grind Stormer'.
Excellent vertical shooter.

> Vixen 357: Dammit?yet another decent looking RPG we missed?

Another good RPG from Masiya, which uses the same game engine as the
original Warsong. Nowhere near as classy as Langrisser II, but still a
great strategy-RPG.

-Matt

Matt

Mar 22, 2003, 9:28:16 AM3/22/03
> Rockman X3: Wowsers, who would have guessed? An unlicensed game,
> apparently, I wonder how it is? This would be a cool one to see?

Quite good for a pirate cart, but I certainly wouldn't buy it -
there's a glitch that makes it impossible to finish one of the levels.
I still prefer this to the pathetic Mega World, though. :)

If you want any of the X-series Rockman titles, go for the Saturn
versions.

-Matt

Matt

Mar 22, 2003, 9:41:10 AM3/22/03
> This was one of the first MD platformers I ever bought, and I don't
> think I ever got around to finishing it - it's really tough.

I haven't been able to finish this one either - at least, not without
using that extra-life cheat. Remember those springy red poles on the
early levels? Well, if you jump directly on top of one you'll acquire
an extra life (and one of the red 'circles' will turn white). This
procedure can be repeated until the pole is completely white, so you
can find yourself with over 60 lives by level three - and even I can't
screw up with that many lives! ;)

> It was released in the west as "Decap Attack", with completely
> different graphics and music. They also dumbed it down by adding a
> life gauge, clueless buggers.

Yeah, I much prefer Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure to Decap
Attack.

-Matt

Matt

Mar 22, 2003, 10:21:37 AM3/22/03
> Magical Taluluto Adventure: A sidescroller, from the pics, and it almost
> looks like that guy from Popful Mail is the main character.

Ahhh... Magical Taluluto-kun! My favourite platformer on the Mega
Drive! This game is simply incredible, from the fluid animation to the
cunningly addictive gameplay. The graphics are so bright, large and
colourful, and the music complements the 'feel' of the game perfectly.
This game is also quite challenging, but not in a frustrating sense;
you pick up techniques the more you play, and I found myself
progressing further with each sitting.

Any game which knocks Sonic 2 off the top spot (in the platform genre)
deserves to be remembered, so please check this one out if you get the
chance; I guarantee you'll find it hard to put down until you've
finally completed it - a merit which most platformers sadly lack.
Before I end this rant, I *must* add what I regard as the best
action-RPG in existance, namely...

Monster World IV

Man, this is one under-rated game! Again, it was only released in
Japan, but don't let that put you off. This game is a technical
marvel, with liquid-animation, colourful graphics and soothing sound.
Like Taluluto, I found it impossible to drag myself away from this one
until I had completed it - and being an RPG, this is *very* long.
Strangely enough, I found myself very attached to the characters in
this game - more so than I have in any other RPG, in fact. That has to
be a testament to the quality of the game, given that I have
absolutely no knowledge of Japanese. The gameplay is rediculously
addictive, and as before there is no frustration to be found
whatsoever. God, I wish I could better explain the magnificence of
this phenomenal piece of gaming history... but I can't. You'll just
have to play it yourself to see what I mean. This *is* my favourite
game of all-time, all consoles included. Go on, treat yourself and buy
a copy. NOW! ;)

-Matt

BelPowerslave

Mar 22, 2003, 11:29:17 AM3/22/03
> > Rockman X3: Wowsers, who would have guessed? An unlicensed game,
> > apparently, I wonder how it is? This would be a cool one to see?
>
> Quite good for a pirate cart, but I certainly wouldn't buy it -
> there's a glitch that makes it impossible to finish one of the levels.
> I still prefer this to the pathetic Mega World, though. :)

Oh, sweet Jesus, no-you-just-did-not! Tell me, tell me...tell me you are
not calling Rockman MegaWorld pathetic...

> If you want any of the X-series Rockman titles, go for the Saturn
> versions.

X3 is out on Saturn, isn't it? I think it's an import...is that what they
based the Genesis version off of(I notice that is has the little bars on
each side of the screen, like the Saturn version did).

Bel

--

"The time has now come...to prove your the best,
to crush your enemies...to win the tournament."
- Announcer, Unreal Tournament

Terrence Briggs

Mar 22, 2003, 9:13:12 PM3/22/03
"Sweet Zombie Jesus" <jamofo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<7rKea.13126$pK4.1...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

> "BelPowerslave" <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in message
> > Hmmmm, hey Zombie, isn't this the one you said had that badass music on
> > the SNES?
>
> I don't think Puggsy ever came out on SNES.. That was probably PLOK! I was
> talking about.........best music ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go tell it on the mountain.

It wasn't better than Super Off-Road though.

> -Greg
> "Hello floor!!! Make me a sammich!!!!"
> -GIR, Invader Zim

On topic, this brings up a question: How well do the following Tim
Follin soundtracks make the transition from SNES to Genesis:

Rock n Roll Racing (Doesn't the Sega CD version features the original
rock tunes, with full vocals, in redbook?)

Spiderman & the X-Men (I've only heard Gambit's theme; it's lost a lot
of its energy in the Genny version)

Super Off Road

any other Software Creations or Tim Follin soundtracks I missed

Terrence Briggs, who'd love to hear how some of the best Genny
soundtracks were interpreted on the SNES, if at all
Peace to you...

Jonathan Young

Mar 23, 2003, 2:39:32 AM3/23/03
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Zany Golf: Old EA game…any good?

Yes, I would say the gameplay in Zany Golf is pretty good. I spent
many hours playing this game (don't remember if I beat it). Some of
the levels were pretty hard, and I'll always remember the bouncing
hamburger. There's also a mini "breakout" game in one of the levels. A
very cool game overall, I'd say.

>Zoom: Really bad?

Zoom was also a cool game IMHO. The best part was setting up the grids
so that you could finish the entire level with one straight line and
get like a super bonus and the voice would be like "come on come on
come on come on come on boy". ;)

I would say that the above games were pretty innovative at the time. I
don't know, it just seems like more games back then would hook me for
hours and hours, whereas now, I'll beat the game and throw it to the
side. Anyway that's a topic for a different thread.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 23, 2003, 5:13:08 AM3/23/03
"Terrence Briggs" <mrm...@peopleweb.com> wrote in message

> On topic, this brings up a question: How well do the following Tim
> Follin soundtracks make the transition from SNES to Genesis:
>
> Rock n Roll Racing (Doesn't the Sega CD version features the original
> rock tunes, with full vocals, in redbook?)

Sounds like ass on Genesis...Sega CD version got canned.

> Spiderman & the X-Men (I've only heard Gambit's theme; it's lost a lot
> of its energy in the Genny version)

Yup...

> Super Off Road

Accolade did it on Genesis, it wasn't a straight port....it didn't have the
"I love what you do for me" Toyota music.

> any other Software Creations or Tim Follin soundtracks I missed

Well it's Dreamcast/PS2 - but Ecco The Dolphin is Tim Follin. Excellent new
agey stuff...it's worth having the game just for the music on the first
stage.

> Terrence Briggs, who'd love to hear how some of the best Genny
> soundtracks were interpreted on the SNES, if at all
> Peace to you...

I think the best Genesis soundtracks were all on exclusive games.
Interestingly enough, Earthworm Jim's music sounds a lot better on the
Genesis than on SNES.

There was supposed to be a Genesis version of Plok! but it got canned....I'm
curious as to how those amazing tunes translated over....that game did
things w/ the SNES soundchip that amaze me to this day.

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 23, 2003, 5:17:55 AM3/23/03
"Jonathan Young" <joyo...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> I would say that the above games were pretty innovative at the time. I
> don't know, it just seems like more games back then would hook me for
> hours and hours, whereas now, I'll beat the game and throw it to the
> side. Anyway that's a topic for a different thread.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if that's just an aspect of being younger and
insanely fascinated by games, or games just not being nearly as addictive as
they used to be. I'm leaning towards youthful fascination.......as muc has
I rag on current games sometimes, there are some really excellent games out
there.....I just don't have as much time to play them anymore.

Anyway, about Zoom...it came out around the same time as Revenge of Shinobi.
The magazines weren't too interested in Zoom because Shinobi was such a
groundbreaking console action/platformer and eyes were on that. Zoom was
more of an old school game......but for what it was, I enjoyed it. That
"come on boy" voice is fucking trippy though.

Joe Ottoson

Mar 23, 2003, 5:43:42 AM3/23/03

> "Jonathan Young" <joyo...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> I would say that the above games were pretty innovative at the time.
>> I don't know, it just seems like more games back then would hook me
>> for hours and hours, whereas now, I'll beat the game and throw it to
>> the side. Anyway that's a topic for a different thread.
>
> Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if that's just an aspect of being
> younger and insanely fascinated by games, or games just not being
> nearly as addictive as they used to be. I'm leaning towards youthful
> fascination.......

Yup. I look back on some of the games I spent days if not weeks on when
I was a kid (Friday the 13th being a major one that stands out) and just
sit there wondering who was slipping crack into my food at the time. ;)

Sweet Zombie Jesus

Mar 23, 2003, 1:21:41 PM3/23/03
"Joe Ottoson" <gro...@landfill.net> wrote in message

> Yup. I look back on some of the games I spent days if not weeks on when
> I was a kid (Friday the 13th being a major one that stands out) and just
> sit there wondering who was slipping crack into my food at the time. ;)

I know, what were we thinking? Even at the time there were better games -
but we'd play the crap happily anyway. I spent HOURS with Athena on
NES...the buggiest never-ending game...I figured out how to play around the
flaws in an attempt to finish the game. I dunno why I was so dead set on
it...heh. Anyway, the game would always freeze up and I never finished it.

Benjamin

Mar 23, 2003, 3:42:41 PM3/23/03
ma...@gneilson.plus.com (Matt) wrote in message news:<a1446a5e.03032...@posting.google.com>...

> Monster World IV

> The gameplay is rediculously
> addictive, and as before there is no frustration to be found
> whatsoever.

Except for the quiz and puzzle sections which require Japanese
comprehension to pass (frustrating for those who don't know the
language). Still, it's completely passable with some trial and error
guessing and no excuse to avoid picking it up.

Benjamin

Joe Ottoson

Mar 23, 2003, 4:19:02 PM3/23/03

> "Joe Ottoson" <gro...@landfill.net> wrote in message
>> Yup. I look back on some of the games I spent days if not weeks on
>> when I was a kid (Friday the 13th being a major one that stands out)
>> and just sit there wondering who was slipping crack into my food at
>> the time. ;)
>
> I know, what were we thinking? Even at the time there were better
> games - but we'd play the crap happily anyway.

Yeah. It was a new game, so that was pretty much good enough for me most
of the time. Even the good games I happened across was largely
accidental... I remember picking out games like Metroid and Punch Out
knowing *nothing* about the games, and not really caring what the
contents were like so long as it was something other than the games I
already had.

I spent HOURS with
> Athena on NES...the buggiest never-ending game...I figured out how to
> play around the flaws in an attempt to finish the game. I dunno why I
> was so dead set on it...heh. Anyway, the game would always freeze up
> and I never finished it.

Heh. I bought Athena exclusively because of that squat on mushroom, get
powerups trick. I think I played it three times. Meh. To make things
worse, most of my old NES collection is showing up in the Rompit section
of SomethingAwful lately. Dr Chaos, Monster Party...

Benjamin

Mar 24, 2003, 2:14:38 PM3/24/03
BelPowerslave <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<3E7B7054...@ev1.net>...

> Wayne’s World: Anyone else, without a doubt, believe this to be the
> absolute worst game of all time?

Nah, there's a lot worse out there. I generally accept Awesome Possum
as the worst Genesis game myself.

> Wiz-n-Liz: What is it?

It's a collecting platform game. Really well animated, but then
considering the developer also made Fatal Rewind, that's not
surprising. It's an okay game, though the control is a bit too
"slippery" for me.

> World Heroes: I can’t rememeber, was this any good on Genesis?
>
> Bel

Was it any good on anything? :^)

Benjamin

Benjamin

Mar 24, 2003, 2:31:45 PM3/24/03
BelPowerslave <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<3E7B5E0D...@ev1.net>...

> Shiten Myooh: I know I seen this one, isn?t it something else in the US?
> Shadow Blasters maybe?

I have this, and it's _not_ Shadow Blasters, at least as far as I can
tell (I no longer have Shadow Blasters). Cover art is atrocious, and
the game is really poor.

> Simpsons games: Any of them. Are they any good, any of them? I am
> especially interested in hearing about Bart?s Nightmare and Virtua Bart?

Krusty's Super Fun House is the only game of merit, though the
Simpsons' license is completely unnecessary for the game. Bart's
Nightmare isn't that bad and at least has more of the show
incorporated into it. I also recall the Genesis getting a port of
"Bart vs. Space Aliens" or some such NES game; I have not played the
Genesis game, but the NES one was really good (and very challenging).

> Snow Brothers: Like Rainbow Islands, I don?t understand it from the shots?

This is something I still need. The price of the MD cartridge almost
seems to make the PCB seem the better option. :p I'm a Bubble Bobble
fan, and I like Snow Brothers a good bit more. The levels are better
designed, though the game lacks the variety and versatility of the
bubbles in Bubble Symphony.

> Spider-Man: The Animated Series: The graphics look really nice, how?s
> the gameplay that needs to go with it?

Is this different than Spider-Man: Vs. The Kingpin? If not, it's a
good game. It's the first Spider-Man game that really seemed to "get"
the character, allowing you to swing, crawl, and take pictures to earn
money to buy web fluid.

> Spiritual WareFare: Another Wisdom Tree Bible based game?

I have the NES game. It's surprisingly nice. Picture an urban Zelda
game where you attack enemies/sinners with fruit to kill/convert them.
I've been wanting to get the Genesis game myself; Wisdom Tree still
sells most (maybe all) of its games on its website.

> Spirou: Nice looking platformer, anyone see this one?

It's French. That should be reason enough to avoid it. :^) I have a
Sega Fan (UK magazine) that reviewed it as an above average game.

> Super Hydlide: I just got it in the mail a bit ago?it?s not too bad?but
> does anyone else think it would be such a better game if you didn?t have
> to worry about a fucking meal every 5 minutes(it seems like)? I need to
> look into some GG code if I am going to play this one?

Hydlide's fans are few and far between for a reason.

> Superman: Is it really as bad as 99.9.5% of the people say?

No, it's a nice enough game. Superman just forgot he's Superman. I
don't think a game will ever do Superman justice because he's such a
horrid character. Playing as an invincible Man of Steel who can fly
limits the challenge. What a developer _should_ do with the license is
make the game time based, having Superman trying to stop as many
crimes/save people as possible in an ongoing city environment.

Benjamin

Benjamin

Mar 24, 2003, 2:37:51 PM3/24/03
BelPowerslave <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<3E7B6EEA...@ev1.net>...

> Valis: The Phantasm Soldier: Is this the same thing as Valis, part one,
> we got in the US here from Renovation?

I think so. I might be wrong, but I remember seeing Valis, then it
skipping the second game and Renovation releasing Valis III.

> Virtual Pinball: Did this one ever make it out? Looks really good!

I really liked this, but I'm a sucker for games which can let you
customize and create stuff. You can save about ten tables and use a
variety of parts to create your own, from electric themes to normal
pinball parts to gore. The physics are acceptable for the time.
GamePro had some kind of promotion with the game; there's a GamePro
board built in.

Benjamin

Will Shaffer

Mar 24, 2003, 7:16:26 PM3/24/03
<belpow...@ev1.net> wrote:

>Valis: The Phantasm Soldier: Is this the same thing as Valis, part one,
>we got in the US here from Renovation?

Yeah...

>Valis Syd: Saw it a long time ago, always wanted to give it a shot. Any
>good?

Well, I've never been an expert at platform-type games, but Syd of
Valis was just way too hard for me. I got like, nowhere in the game.
No desire to really try again, I'm not that dumb =0

It is loading more messages.