Magic Knight Rayearth names?

Ghaleon

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

I have heard conflicting reports about Magic Knight Rayearth's character
names. The last I heard, the names were going to be changed.. Now I
hear that they will stay the same as the Japanese version.. What is the
latest info that Vic has provided about this?

mo...@server.berkeley.edu

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

The last info I heard, tho it may be out-dated, is that the names will
neither be the Japanese originals nor the butchered American versions.
They'll be brand new, though they will resemble the Japanese names a
bit.

I suppose in SoJ's defense on the subject, it would look funny if the
American dub manages to come out and the names conflict with the game.

M.
http://server.berkeley.edu/~moomc/

Victor Ireland

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

Actually, the dub will embarass itself with no help from us or SoJ. It's
truly terrible - the names, actors, and dubbing they chose suck beyond
words.

We won our fight (it took us a year, but we won). Virtually all the
names in the US version of Rayearth will remain the same or similar to
the original Japanese version.

DBTH - Vic

Marlon Chen

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

On 28 Feb 1997 06:58:02 GMT, SMR...@prodigy.com (Victor Ireland)
wrote:

>>On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:33:55 -0500, Ghaleon <gha...@akula.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have heard conflicting reports about Magic Knight Rayearth's
>character
>>>names. The last I heard, the names were going to be changed.. Now I
>>>hear that they will stay the same as the Japanese version.. What is
>the
>>>latest info that Vic has provided about this?
>>
>>The last info I heard, tho it may be out-dated, is that the names will
>>neither be the Japanese originals nor the butchered American versions.
>>They'll be brand new, though they will resemble the Japanese names a
>>bit.
>>
>>I suppose in SoJ's defense on the subject, it would look funny if the
>>American dub manages to come out and the names conflict with the game.
>>

>>M.
>
>Actually, the dub will embarass itself with no help from us or SoJ. It's
>truly terrible - the names, actors, and dubbing they chose suck beyond
>words.

Well, that's a given already. =P

BTW, would you honestly say that the MKR dub is any *worse* than other
anime dubs? It's a scary thought if it is... =/

M.
http://server.berkeley.edu/~moomc/

Victor Ireland

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

>>Actually, the dub will embarass itself with no help from us or SoJ.
It's
>>truly terrible - the names, actors, and dubbing they chose suck beyond

>>words.
>
>Well, that's a given already. =P
>
>BTW, would you honestly say that the MKR dub is any *worse* than other
>anime dubs? It's a scary thought if it is... =/
>

>M.
>http://server.berkeley.edu/~moomc/

Actually, it's one of the worst "pro" dubs I've seen. Interchangeable
character acting (if you can call it acting), TERRIBLE NAMES (anemone,
marine, luce), and horrific writing are just the start...

DBTH - Vic

Chris Nolte

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

Vic, will there be an option to rename the characters?

David Oldridge

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

Chris Nolte (Eag...@mail.concentric.net) writes:
>>>BTW, would you honestly say that the MKR dub is any *worse* than other
>>>anime dubs? It's a scary thought if it is... =/
>>

>>Actually, it's one of the worst "pro" dubs I've seen. Interchangeable
>>character acting (if you can call it acting), TERRIBLE NAMES (anemone,
>>marine, luce), and horrific writing are just the start...
>

> Vic, will there be an option to rename the characters?

I'm guessing that some of the spoken dialogue will include mentioning the
characters by name, so that the answer would be 'No'.

Vance Palodichuk

Mar 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/2/97

>Actually, the dub will embarass itself with no help from us or SoJ. It's
>truly terrible - the names, actors, and dubbing they chose suck beyond
>words.
>

>We won our fight (it took us a year, but we won). Virtually all the
>names in the US version of Rayearth will remain the same or similar to
>the original Japanese version.

Thanks a lot Vic! Hey, would you consider doing some kinda deal with the people
are doing the US manga? Like put an ad in the comic or something? Ironically,
they're fighting Kodansha to keep the names (AFAIK).

Vance

--
Vance Palodichuk - vpal...@usinternet.com
http://www.usinternet.com/users/vpalodich/