NHL POWERPLAY A PERFECT 10

Armani64

Jul 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/2/96

That's right Virgin gets a perfect 10 for missing 10 consecutive release
dates... It's July 2nd, but the game is nowhere to be found (as if I
should be surprised at this point).

I know, I know... somebody in Michigan says the their local Electronics
Boutique has 30 copies of the game. I suspect this is a "joke" post. I
called every EB within thirty miles of my house, and all said 1) all EB
stores receive games on the same day, and 2) the game was delayed again.
The story was the same at Software Etc, Babbages, and smaller regional
videogame retailers.

Besides... when (IF) Virgin ever decides to revive NHL PowerPlay from its
mysterious coma (has the patient died?), I'm sure there will be more than
one lonely post on the net announcing its arrival.

Still unimpressed with Virgin, ARMANI

JeanLuc

Jul 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/2/96

In article <4rcjtu$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, arma...@aol.com says...
Its out!Check Tronix.

William N. Bacon

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

arma...@aol.com (Armani64) wrote:

>That's right Virgin gets a perfect 10 for missing 10 consecutive release
>dates... It's July 2nd, but the game is nowhere to be found (as if I
>should be surprised at this point).

>I know, I know... somebody in Michigan says the their local Electronics
>Boutique has 30 copies of the game. I suspect this is a "joke" post. I
>called every EB within thirty miles of my house, and all said 1) all EB
>stores receive games on the same day, and 2) the game was delayed again.
>The story was the same at Software Etc, Babbages, and smaller regional
>videogame retailers.

>Besides... when (IF) Virgin ever decides to revive NHL PowerPlay from its
>mysterious coma (has the patient died?), I'm sure there will be more than
>one lonely post on the net announcing its arrival.

>Still unimpressed with Virgin, ARMANI

Here in Paramus NJ at Walden Software, we received a dozen copies of
NHL Power Play '96. Yes the Saturn version is out @ $59.99 plus tax.
Maybe the reason your local EB didn't get it today is because of UPS
shipping delay. Hope this helps.

William Bacon
sizz...@ix.netcom.com

Scott Alter

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

sizz...@ix.netcom.com (William N. Bacon) wrote:

>Here in Paramus NJ at Walden Software, we received a dozen copies of
>NHL Power Play '96. Yes the Saturn version is out @ $59.99 plus tax.
>Maybe the reason your local EB didn't get it today is because of UPS
>shipping delay. Hope this helps.

>William Bacon
>sizz...@ix.netcom.com

Thats ok...Virgin managed to ship a batch of PC versons that had ONLY
MUSIC TRACKS, and no data tracks...way to go there in quality control.

Ghaleon

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Armani64 wrote:

> That's right Virgin gets a perfect 10 for missing 10 consecutive release
> dates... It's July 2nd, but the game is nowhere to be found (as if I
> should be surprised at this point).
>
> I know, I know... somebody in Michigan says the their local Electronics
> Boutique has 30 copies of the game. I suspect this is a "joke" post. I
> called every EB within thirty miles of my house, and all said 1) all EB
> stores receive games on the same day, and 2) the game was delayed again.
> The story was the same at Software Etc, Babbages, and smaller regional
> videogame retailers.
>
> Besides... when (IF) Virgin ever decides to revive NHL PowerPlay from its
> mysterious coma (has the patient died?), I'm sure there will be more than
> one lonely post on the net announcing its arrival.
>
> Still unimpressed with Virgin, ARMANI
It is out at all the stores near me. I live in NY BTW.
Including EB, Babbages, Game experience, DieHard Game Club and others.
--Ghaleon

Armani64

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Hi William,

Thanks! I appreciate the response to my post. It's nice to know that the
game was released today (well wadaya know... the patient isn't dead
afterall). I hope the game is good enough to keep me playing it as long as
I've been waiting for it!

ARMANI

Armani64

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Hey Buddy,

Thanks for letting me know that NHL PowerPlay was released (at least on
the east coast). I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this game for
months, but delay after delay has left me with a bad taste in my mouth...
hopefully the game will make up for the delay. Here's where we get to test
the theory... is it better to delay the game time and time again to
perfect it? Hopefully, I'll know tommorrow.

ARMANI

Mark & Michelle Wood

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

In <4rdcf4$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> arma...@aol.com (Armani64)
writes:

>hopefully the game will make up for the delay. Here's where we get to
test
>the theory... is it better to delay the game time and time again to
>perfect it? Hopefully, I'll know tommorrow.

I can't really say about NHL as I haven't played it. But in general,
does anyone think delays in games are worth it? Through an accident in
trading, I acquired the original Virtua Fighter for Saturn. I also
have VF 32X. I can tell you that while VF is technically better, it
definitely looks rushed in comparison. The delays in releasing the 32X
version apparently gave the development team time enough to eliminate
all of the bugs in the original Saturn version. And look at how VF
Remix compares to the original.
On the other hand, games like MK2 for Saturn were apparently delayed
for months yet the final product appears flawed. So what does anyone
else think? In general, are delays worth it?

Skid

John Tisch

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Mark & Michelle Wood wrote:
> So what does anyone
> else think? In general, are delays worth it?

I think delays are fine as long as it is to improve the
game in some way.. But when a game just sits around due to some
politics, that is obviously B.S.. Sony has the worst case of
the politics blues.. Tekken 2 and RRR have both been out for months
now and a U.S. release is still months away... And I can tell
ya' for fact that the game is just sitting around.. Both games
are in English oustide of a few VERY minor places which would
take any respectable developer a week TOPS to convert.. But
hey, this is the Sega group, I was just giving a view ..

- John

Mike Steffes

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Mark & Michelle Wood wrote:
> I can't really say about NHL as I haven't played it. But in general,
> does anyone think delays in games are worth it? Through an accident in
> trading, I acquired the original Virtua Fighter for Saturn. I also
> have VF 32X. I can tell you that while VF is technically better, it
> definitely looks rushed in comparison. The delays in releasing the 32X
> version apparently gave the development team time enough to eliminate
> all of the bugs in the original Saturn version. And look at how VF
> Remix compares to the original.
> On the other hand, games like MK2 for Saturn were apparently delayed
> for months yet the final product appears flawed. So what does anyone

> else think? In general, are delays worth it?
>
> Skid

That is such a good question I'm making a post out of it.
Its very hard to say. Some companies rush games out in an effort
to make a quick buck. Others delay games so quicker bucks can be released
and then don't even work on the product again until later, or at all.
Some companies really do delay games to make them better.
This is my experience only but I think my favorite games of ALL
time have been games that's been delayed. As I look around my room I see
the boxes of my favorite games and realize many of them had me calling
video game stores for months. TIE Fighter, my favorite computer game, was
supposed to be released in, I don't know, March of '94. Finally in July I
got that game. And it was well worth it. Great graphics, my favorite
music ever (though how can you go wrong with Star Wars?), cool cinemas,
and a game that was so perfectly tweaked that I've gone through it
multiple times. I also got the Collector's CD I love it so much. My
favorite game from the 16-Bit era, Eternal Champions: Challenge from the
Darkside, had a 6 month delay. From Christmas of '94 to July of '95.
(July is a good month for me I guess.) This game's storyline, coupled
with a great fighter in all aspects, has so hopelessly entrapped me that
I've harassed Sega for months asking for a Saturn release (which was
promised in the ending) and even inspired me to make my website. Shining
Wisdom was delayed for a while and I got a great game, that reminded me
of my old gaming days (Actually I'm curious, has your new system
rekindled your intrest in gaming again? My Saturn sure did!), and got the
best Manual in my collection. (Thanks Vic and the WD guys! By the way I'm
at 92% with 16 play hours. Not bad...) Guardian Heroes was pushed back
from March to May but was released in April. So actually my memories tell
me it was released early but that's not the case... But GH is my favorite
Saturn game yet. I've played it every day since its release. (Also check
my sig.) You know what, I don't have a delayed game that wasn't really
cool. I'd like to have an example but I can't seem to find it... At least
one that I've bought. Well I guess it turns out I like product delays.
And I really like it if you delay it to a certain date and then release
it early. Wow, if that's the truth Eternal Champions: The Final Chapter
is going to be the best game I'll ever play...
Well you've got my opinions. I'd like to hear yours!
* / ~[~ [~~ [~~ [~~ / "tim...@primenet.com" *
* \ [ [-- [- [- \ "http://www.primenet.com/~tim101/" *
* / [ [__ [ [ / "You can plainly see, why I am a boss *
* Save EC!!! character, and not some thug!" *

Mark & Michelle Wood

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

In <31DA93...@primenet.com> Mike Steffes <tim...@primenet.com>
writes:

> That is such a good question I'm making a post out of it.

(Actually I'm curious, has your new system
>rekindled your intrest in gaming again? My Saturn sure did!)

Um, I don't think my interest ever flickered or what-ever. But I do
know that since I've gotten my Saturn other people are once again
willing to sit down and play--it had gotten down to just a few of us
hard-core gamers around here.
Games that were delayed that I really liked :

- Frontier & Hired Guns (Amiga)
- X-Men 2 Clone Wars (Genesis)
- Eternal Champions (Sega CD)
- Virtua Fighter (32X)

I haven't had my Saturn that long so I'm not a good judge of which
games have been delayed. I still don't have all of the games that I
want from the ones already released! I have played Mortal Kombat 2 for
Saturn (which was delayed) and I wasn't that impressed, okay, I thought
it was pretty poor compared to the 32X version. Some other games I
have been waiting for, Nightmare Circus (Genesis) and X-Men (32X) seem
destined to never be released. Hopefully, Eternal Champions will be
released on Saturn, I enjoyed the SegaCD one.

Skid