Rayman PSX vs. Saturn

JAMSHIDI BAHMAN PETER

Nov 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/11/95

Saturn advantages:
-faster loading times
-something about the in game graphics just seems richer than PSX
version.
-new visual effects at the end of the level.
-the fairy no longer has that 'Im spitting on you' sound
effect when throwing her fairy 'water on you' they changed it.
-no slowdown.

Saturn disadvantages:
-FMV is not full screen as I remember the PSX version being
and is quite pixelated.

CYBERCAT

Nov 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/11/95
It seems that the Saturn can't handle FMV or Digitize graphics as well
as the PSX or it's those bad Programers again. There must be
something we can do to forced them to work has hard on the Saturn
games as they do on the PSX. Well we won one with Rayman but the
others, like NBA JAM, STREET FIGHTER and h mI hope they work hard on
both MK2 and MK3 are we will never hear the end of the PSX is better
crap!

Cybercat

JbBi...@aol.com

Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95
to Fo...@gate.net
have you seen a Crystal dynamics game? It has just a good as full-motion
as anything I have ever seen" Including anything on playstation." Sp
Video is no problem. No I want to see MK3 and MK2 and WRESTLEMANIA with
out loading in them. That would shut up any PSX owner in a second.

Play-on.

Robert Wong

Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95
bold...@interport.net (CYBERCAT) wrote:

>It seems that the Saturn can't handle FMV or Digitize graphics as well
>as the PSX or it's those bad Programers again. There must be
>something we can do to forced them to work has hard on the Saturn
>games as they do on the PSX. Well we won one with Rayman but the
>others, like NBA JAM, STREET FIGHTER and h mI hope they work hard on
>both MK2 and MK3 are we will never hear the end of the PSX is better
>crap!

>Cybercat

Saturn has been using CinePak, which IS grainy and not up to the full
framerate and quality as the PS's built-in Jpeg support, but Sega
announced some sort of a new 24-bit FMV driver which will appear in
VF2. hmmm

Robert Wong Sysop of The Playing Fields BBS
Fo...@gate.net Call us via modem 305-822-2737
http://www.gate.net/~foxer 42-line Total Entertainment BBS

Sega Saturn,Sony PlayStation,Super Nintendo,Sega Genesis,Gameboy

JAMSHIDI BAHMAN PETER

Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95

Sorry to burst your bubble but if your referring to the only
CDynamics game out for Saturn right now (ie. OWExtreme) the
full motion is NOT as good as the PSX version. If you
look closely at the commercial, there is blurring when
there is rapid image movement in the Saturn version, the
PSX FMV for the same commercial is much much closer to VHS
quality. The best FMV Ive seen so far is SF:TM as far
as the Saturn is concerened.

Nate

Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95
In article <482sbo$o...@park.interport.net>,

bold...@interport.net (CYBERCAT) wrote:
>It seems that the Saturn can't handle FMV or Digitize graphics as well
>as the PSX or it's those bad Programers again. There must be
>something we can do to forced them to work has hard on the Saturn
>games as they do on the PSX. Well we won one with Rayman but the
>others, like NBA JAM, STREET FIGHTER and h mI hope they work hard on
>both MK2 and MK3 are we will never hear the end of the PSX is better
>crap!
>
>Cybercat

Probably the reason for the better FMV on the PSX is that it has built in
video compression/decompression hardware. Whereas the Saturn is using some
really nasty compression algorithms. I hope they can improve it. The big
thing that the Saturn has over the PSX is the scrolling hardware. MK3 on PSX
is choppy when it scrolls. So is Rayman.

Nate
ra...@sojourn.com

Dustin Cushman

Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95

From what I hear, the FMV is improved. They've ditched CinePak in favor of
Duck, which is a 24-bit driver. The first game to use it will be VF2, in the
new CG intro sequence. Guess will have to wait and see how good it is.

Dustin--

Dustin Cushman
rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu
George Mason University
http://osf1.gmu.edu/~rcushman

where i am

Nov 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/15/95
>Probably the reason for the better FMV on the PSX is that it has built in
>video compression/decompression hardware. Whereas the Saturn is using some
>really nasty compression algorithms. I hope they can improve it. The big
>thing that the Saturn has over the PSX is the scrolling hardware. MK3 on PSX
>is choppy when it scrolls. So is Rayman.
>
>Nate
>ra...@sojourn.com

Know the facts. Neither MK2 or Rayman is "choppy" on the playstation, when
they scroll. Alhough, Rayman does have very noticable slowdown at different
parts of the game.
-------
TMc
Independent Thinker

Claudius

Nov 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/15/95
Look again at MK3 bunky. When you aren't running and the screen scrolls it is
quite choppy.

Nate
ra...@sojourn.com