Vectorman, Light Crusader, and high pricing

Marty Chinn

Oct 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/25/95
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned these two games. Both were
released today. Vectorman is really cool and at a good price of 59.99,
however I was taken by surprised twice with Light Crusader. The first
surprise was that it came out today. The second was the expensive price
tag. I can't believe what Sega is charging for this. $79.99 is
outrageous. And to think people say Nintendo is price gouging. What is
with sega's frame of mind. Do they have their heads stuck up so high
thinking they can get away with this pricing? I fear the price on Rig
Lord Saga.....

nukulkij poom

Oct 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/25/95
vids...@netcom.com (Marty Chinn) writes:

>I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned these two games. Both were
>released today. Vectorman is really cool and at a good price of 59.99,
>however I was taken by surprised twice with Light Crusader. The first
>surprise was that it came out today. The second was the expensive price
>tag. I can't believe what Sega is charging for this. $79.99 is
>outrageous. And to think people say Nintendo is price gouging. What is
>with sega's frame of mind. Do they have their heads stuck up so high
>thinking they can get away with this pricing? I fear the price on Rig
>Lord Saga.....

Did you expect otherwise? It's a Genesis RPG--Sega would be breaking a
tradition (PSIV, BO, SF2) if they didn't price it that high. But yes, it
is a bit steep. I truly hope they don't price Saturn RPG's like that, as
they'll turn off a s-load of gamers in doing so. (Aimee or any other Sega
rep reading this--take the hint!) I don't know--Sega's bizarre pricing
policies (er...I should say price-gouging) make me think twice about Saturn.

Poom!

Patrice Sartor

Oct 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/25/95
pnuk...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (nukulkij poom) wrote:
>vids...@netcom.com (Marty Chinn) writes:
>
>>I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned these two games. Both were
>>released today. Vectorman is really cool and at a good price of 59.99,
>>however I was taken by surprised twice with Light Crusader. The first
>>surprise was that it came out today. The second was the expensive price
>>tag. I can't believe what Sega is charging for this. $79.99 is
>>outrageous.

Good grief!!! I am quite surprised to hear that Light Crusader is priced
so high. I haven't played much of the game, but I've played enough to
know that it's not worth anywhere NEAR that amount.

As for Vectorman, that price is high too. However, Vectorman is fun and
is definitely worth a rental and even a purchase if you can find it for
less than $60.

BTW, does anyone know what the power-up you can get before the game
starts is good for?

Patrice

Barry W. Cantin

Oct 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/26/95

In a previous article, pnuk...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (nukulkij poom) says:

>vids...@netcom.com (Marty Chinn) writes:
>
>>I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned these two games. Both were
>>released today. Vectorman is really cool and at a good price of 59.99,
>>however I was taken by surprised twice with Light Crusader. The first
>>surprise was that it came out today. The second was the expensive price
>>tag. I can't believe what Sega is charging for this. $79.99 is

>>outrageous. And to think people say Nintendo is price gouging. What is
>>with sega's frame of mind. Do they have their heads stuck up so high
>>thinking they can get away with this pricing? I fear the price on Rig
>>Lord Saga.....
>
>Did you expect otherwise? It's a Genesis RPG--Sega would be breaking a
>tradition (PSIV, BO, SF2) if they didn't price it that high. But yes, it
>is a bit steep. I truly hope they don't price Saturn RPG's like that, as
>they'll turn off a s-load of gamers in doing so. (Aimee or any other Sega
>rep reading this--take the hint!) I don't know--Sega's bizarre pricing
>policies (er...I should say price-gouging) make me think twice about Saturn.

The Atlus RPG "Crusader of Centy" was also steep - $69.99, if you can find
one. Maybe Light Crusader was only released in a limited quantity like
Crusader of Centy (released Feb, I think).

Barry Cantin
aa...@cleveland.freenet.edu

Oct 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/28/95
In article <vidsourcD...@netcom.com>,

vids...@netcom.com (Marty Chinn) wrote:
>I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned these two games. Both were
>released today. Vectorman is really cool and at a good price of 59.99,
>however I was taken by surprised twice with Light Crusader. The first
>surprise was that it came out today. The second was the expensive price
>tag. I can't believe what Sega is charging for this. $79.99 is
>outrageous. And to think people say Nintendo is price gouging. What is
>with sega's frame of mind. Do they have their heads stuck up so high
>thinking they can get away with this pricing? I fear the price on Rig
>Lord Saga.....

But notice that with all the Sega CD games, the price has been $55 or less.
Even for games like Lunar, etc.. The reason these games are so expensive is
that they're not CD-based. Those ROM chips are EXPENSIVE. Keep that in mind.
If they'd put all games on CD, the cost would be < $60. I'm guessing that
since the Saturn is a primarily disc-based system, that's going to be the
price range there. (But don't forget advertising, R & D, etc... These may jack
the price up maybe $10 but not very often)

-D

Marty Chinn

Oct 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/28/95
D (d...@citicom.com) wrote:

: But notice that with all the Sega CD games, the price has been $55 or less.

: Even for games like Lunar, etc.. The reason these games are so expensive is
: that they're not CD-based. Those ROM chips are EXPENSIVE. Keep that in mind.
: If they'd put all games on CD, the cost would be < $60. I'm guessing that
: since the Saturn is a primarily disc-based system, that's going to be the
: price range there. (But don't forget advertising, R & D, etc... These may jack
: the price up maybe $10 but not very often)

Give me a break, I can buy a 32 megabit/4 megabyte game for anywhere
around 60 to 70 dollars, what gives Light Crusader the right to go as
high as 80 dollars or worse yet Phantasy Star 4 with an original price of
a 100 when its the same size?

: -D

Michael R. Lane

Oct 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/28/95
I got Vectorman for 49.99 at ToysRUs. Don't support stores that jack up prices!!!

Marty Chinn

Oct 29, 1995, 2:00:00 AM10/29/95
D (d...@citicom.com) wrote:
: In article <vidsourcD...@netcom.com>,
: vids...@netcom.com (Marty Chinn) wrote:
: >Give me a break, I can buy a 32 megabit/4 megabyte game for anywhere
: >around 60 to 70 dollars, what gives Light Crusader the right to go as
: >high as 80 dollars or worse yet Phantasy Star 4 with an original price of
: >a 100 when its the same size?

: Well, I can't really explain how PS4 was $100, when it was released here, it
: was only 75. It all really depends on the store. All I'm saying is that
: cartridge based games will be more expensive than CD based. Whether those
: prices are fair or not, that's for someone else to decide.

They will be slightly higher until these companies stop price gouging
with CD games. As for the original point Sega is making a killing on
these cart games by making you pay more than you should. There is no
excuse for a 100 dollar retail price on PS4, or a 80 dollar retail price
on Light Crusader.

James Mohr

Oct 29, 1995, 2:00:00 AM10/29/95

>vids...@netcom.com (Marty Chinn) writes:

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned these two games. Both were
released today. Vectorman is really cool and at a good price of 59.99,

Vectorman costs under $42 at Best Buy. Where does it cost $59.99?

jfol...@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu

Oct 29, 1995, 2:00:00 AM10/29/95
That's for sure. I would not have gotten Vectorman if Best Buy were not
featuring it for about $40.

In article <46tuif$l...@news2.isp.net>, "Michael R. Lane" <mrl...@slip.net>

AJ Wright

Oct 29, 1995, 2:00:00 AM10/29/95
wrote:

> I got Vectorman for 49.99 at ToysRUs. Don't support stores that jack up
prices!!!

It's $49.XX at Media Play and Best Buy.

AJ

Wherever you go . . . . . . There you are

Marty Chinn

Oct 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/30/95
James Mohr (jpm...@primenet.com) wrote:

: >vids...@netcom.com (Marty Chinn) writes:

59.99 is MSRP.

nukulkij poom

Oct 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/30/95
jpm...@primenet.com (James Mohr) writes:

>I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned these two games. Both were
>released today. Vectorman is really cool and at a good price of 59.99,

The reason no one's mentioned Light Crusader is that very few stores seem to
carry it. I'm almost sure that Best Buy (here) doesn't have it, and I don't
think TRU does either. Don't know about Waldensoft. Is this game in really
limited release?

Poom!

rx8...@mcvax2.d48.lilly.com

Oct 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/30/95
In article <46tuif$l...@news2.isp.net>, "Michael R. Lane" <mrl...@slip.net> writes:
> I got Vectorman for 49.99 at ToysRUs. Don't support stores that jack up prices!!!

Vectorman is 39.00 at Target here in Indy. You gotta shop around...

Beaker

Michael R. Lane

Oct 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/30/95
Wow! It's 47.99 here in my part of the world (on sale). I wonder why it's so much
cheaper there?

Cheers,

Michael