UMK3-What is up, damnit?

Chris Wargo

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

Damn, those bastards at Willaims are greedy!

Anyway, I noticed UMK3 has been delayed AGAIn from 6/21 to 6/26!
What is up with this? No game has continuously been pushed back as this
one. What is Willaims' problem?
--

********************
FOR SALE: ************************************************

Ed Giangrande

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

In <31B10...@phoenixat.com> Chris Wargo <swa...@phoenixat.com>
writes:

>Damn, those bastards at Willaims are greedy!
>
>Anyway, I noticed UMK3 has been delayed AGAIn from 6/21 to 6/26!
>What is up with this? No game has continuously been pushed back as
this
>one. What is Willaims' problem?
>--

Wouldn't be another spit in the face if Williams deceided to release
UMK3 at the same time as MKT on PSX... but that would be a huge
delay... much more than a fw days... no one would do.. oh wait,
remember skeleton warriors...

MTBFreak

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

Actually, pushing back the date to 6/26 was a strategic move on the part
of Sega. You see, Sega has a 6 month exclusive on UMC3, and six months
from 6/26 is the day AFTER Christmas...

MTB Freak (Ron W.)

Beavis: "AAAAAAHHH!!!! Butt-Head! What are you doing in this
porno???!?!"

Butt-Head; "Trying to score, you dumbass!"

Swampthing

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

On 01-Jun-96 21:49:47, Chris Wargo (swa...@phoenixat.com) scribbled:

>Damn, those bastards at Willaims are greedy!

>Anyway, I noticed UMK3 has been delayed AGAIn from 6/21 to 6/26!
>What is up with this? No game has continuously been pushed back as this
>one. What is Willaims' problem?

No other game, eh? Try looking around for the Saturn PRIMAL RAGE...

Swampthing

Amiga 1200HD 40MHz GVP '030 - 4.5Mb FAST RAM, 2Mb CHIP RAM

Sega Saturn, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sega Game Gear, Sega
Master System, ColecoVision, Nintendo Gameboy, Commodore 64, Atari
Jaguar, TurboGrafx-16, Mattel Intellivision, and Atari 2600

Visit the "Lair of the Swampthing" at http://www.his.com/~swmpthng

Master Young

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

>Actually, pushing back the date to 6/26 was a strategic move on the
part
>of Sega. You see, Sega has a 6 month exclusive on UMC3, and six months
>from 6/26 is the day AFTER Christmas...

Shit, you're right. I wonder if it will really have that effect :)

Master Young

The Outlaw

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

On 02 Jun 96 18:16:37 -500, swmp...@his.com (Swampthing) wrote:

>>Anyway, I noticed UMK3 has been delayed AGAIn from 6/21 to 6/26!
>>What is up with this? No game has continuously been pushed back as this
>>one. What is Willaims' problem?
>No other game, eh? Try looking around for the Saturn PRIMAL RAGE...

Yeah, and X-Men for the Saturn was pushed back several times as well,
usually by a few days.

Paul Demko

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

mtbf...@aol.com (MTBFreak) wrote:

>Actually, pushing back the date to 6/26 was a strategic move on the part
>of Sega. You see, Sega has a 6 month exclusive on UMC3, and six months
>from 6/26 is the day AFTER Christmas...

>MTB Freak (Ron W.)

>Beavis: "AAAAAAHHH!!!! Butt-Head! What are you doing in this
>porno???!?!"

>Butt-Head; "Trying to score, you dumbass!"

Yes, Sega has a 6 month exclusive on UMK3, But to get around it Sony
is releasing MK Triliogy which will have all the old characters and
backrounds from the previous 4 games. Pictures are at Next
Generations website.

Bd.

Zen

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

swmp...@his.com (Swampthing) writes:

>On 01-Jun-96 21:49:47, Chris Wargo (swa...@phoenixat.com) scribbled:
>>Damn, those bastards at Willaims are greedy!

>>Anyway, I noticed UMK3 has been delayed AGAIn from 6/21 to 6/26!

>>What is up with this? No game has continuously been pushed back as this
>>one. What is Willaims' problem?

>No other game, eh? Try looking around for the Saturn PRIMAL RAGE...

I can't believe so many people are pissing themselves over Mortal Kombat
and Primal Rage. My god these games suck. Sorry, just my opinion, I
just can't understand the fascination in these particular games...

Also, with regards to Skeleton Warriors, this game is just plain boring.
I played the PSX one and to me it was obvious that:
a) this game had great graphics utilizing a combination of 2d and 3d for
interesting effects.
b) this game had a couple of really cool music tracks. One was something
just like out of Conan but better--awesome.
c) the G&M did not matter, as the game was very boring/uninteresting/
unoriginal (you get the point) Absolutely no replay value. I was just
playing to see what the next level looked like, not because there was
anything at all exciting about the game play. The bike levels were
incredibly pointless and lame, and there was nothing at all exciting
about the "walk left until the end" levels, save a small laugh at the
simian level inhabitants. Astoundingly uninspiring would best describe
the game play.

I think that if you're going to bitch about game delays, bitch about games
that are actually worth buying..... Sorry if your opinion differs from
mine, but you've gotta admit that no one will look back 5 years from now
and see MK/PR/SW as some of the truly great games of this period.

R. Todd Dyer

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96
to swa...@phoenixat.com

> On 01-Jun-96 21:49:47, Chris Wargo (swa...@phoenixat.com) scribbled:
> >Damn, those bastards at Willaims are greedy!
>
> >Anyway, I noticed UMK3 has been delayed AGAIn from 6/21 to 6/26!
> >What is up with this? No game has continuously been pushed back as this
> >one. What is Willaims' problem?

Hi Chris,
It's Todd from UGR. While I don't know for sure, I'd bet a hefty sum that the delay was
Sega's idea. By delaying the game to 6/26, that ensures that the other platforms (N64,
PSX) won't receive MK Trilogy until, at the earliest, the day after Christmas (Sega has
a 6 month exclusive). Of course Nintendo and Sony will try to fight it and say MK
Trilogy is a different game from UMK3. But, Sega had to wait out the six months for
UMK3, when UMK3 is as big an enhancement over MK3 as MK Trilogy is over UMK3 (try saying
that 10 times fast). Expect a court battle on this one, a case Sega should win
(although stranger things have happened).

Daryn Brown

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

Leave it to sony to cheat. Can't win fair und square, eh dahlink?

DBIII

Mark Phaedrus

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <4p658l$p...@rap.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM>,

Daryn Brown <d...@ElSegundoCA.NCR.COM> wrote:
>In article j...@star.epix.net, p...@epix.net (Paul Demko) writes:
>> mtbf...@aol.com (MTBFreak) wrote:
>> >Actually, pushing back the date to 6/26 was a strategic move on the part
>> >of Sega. You see, Sega has a 6 month exclusive on UMC3, and six months
>> >from 6/26 is the day AFTER Christmas...
>> Yes, Sega has a 6 month exclusive on UMK3, But to get around it Sony
>> is releasing MK Triliogy which will have all the old characters and
>> backrounds from the previous 4 games. Pictures are at Next
>> Generations website.
>Leave it to sony to cheat. Can't win fair und square, eh dahlink?

And arbitrarily holding back the release of your game just to screw the
competition with your exclusivity window is sweetness and light? (I'm not
trying to take sides here--I have them both--but Sega's not exactly an
innocent victim.)
--
## Macintosh developer with 3+ years commercial experience; hire me... ##
## Please see <URL:http://www.halcyon.com/phaedrus/resume.html>. ##

Greg Sewart

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

I just got a release list that stated MKtriligy would appear on the N64
around November, so I think the underhanded company here is Williams.
Thank god it's not a good game, just MK.

Greg

Yun Chue

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

What do you mean sony is cheating by bringing out mk trilogy? Every
console is getting mk trilogy or umk3, such as 3do, nintendo, and sony.
The company that made mk has only concerns to make the most money not
support one game company.

Ed Giangrande

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

In <Pine.ULT.3.91.960607...@janice.cc.wwu.edu> Yun

Yes, but don't you think it is a slap in the face when a company makes
an 'exclusive' UMK3 deal and then makes another, and likely better, MK
game that uses UMK3 charactesr and Backgrounds to be released at a
closer time cause it 'isn't the same..."