UMK3 - What's with the sound ???!!!

PATRICK MASAO HORIO

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
Ok, I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my copy of UMK3
or if there's something wrong with my Saturn or whatever, but when
I play UMK3 on the Saturn, the game is constantly cutting the sound
samples off too early or simply not playing them at all. Sometimes,
it sounds as if one sound sample begins playing before the one before
it has stopped, thus muffling the sample. I've played the PSX version
and I did not notice these problems on the PSX version of MK3.
Now, considering that the Saturn is supposed to have such an awesome
sound chip, what's going on here???

I do realize that most of the samples are stored on the CD as regular
audio tracks (like the PSX version) but the PSX version, as I've said
before, didn't have the amount of audio problems that I've heard
when playing the Saturn version.

Also, 4 of the tracks on the CD have the announcer saying "Round 1",
"Round 2", etc. However, I've yet to hear these announcements during
an actual game. What gives?

I'd appreciate any info as I'd like to know if I have a defective
copy of the game or a problem with my system (which seems doubtful,
considering all my other games seem to work fine...).

Dustin Cushman

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
In article <4r045i$8...@news.csus.edu>, p...@taurus.sfsu.edu (PATRICK MASAO HORIO) writes:
> Ok, I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my copy of UMK3
> or if there's something wrong with my Saturn or whatever, but when
> I play UMK3 on the Saturn, the game is constantly cutting the sound
> samples off too early or simply not playing them at all. Sometimes,
> it sounds as if one sound sample begins playing before the one before
> it has stopped, thus muffling the sample. I've played the PSX version
> and I did not notice these problems on the PSX version of MK3.
> Now, considering that the Saturn is supposed to have such an awesome
> sound chip, what's going on here???

Hmmm, I haven't had any trouble with the sounds being cutt off, but I have had
trouble with the voices. The announcer voice isn't very loud and when you win
the match you can hardly hear him say Kitana Win's, Fatality. It kinda makes me
mad.

Dustin--

Dustin Cushman
rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu
George Mason University
http://www.erols.com/rdustin
Dustin's Saturn/Days/Tarot Pages

L. SCOTT KARLIN

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
In <4r045i$8...@news.csus.edu> p...@taurus.sfsu.edu (PATRICK MASAO HORIO)

writes:

>Ok, I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my copy of UMK3
>or if there's something wrong with my Saturn or whatever, but when
>I play UMK3 on the Saturn, the game is constantly cutting the sound
>samples off too early or simply not playing them at all. Sometimes,
>it sounds as if one sound sample begins playing before the one before
>it has stopped, thus muffling the sample. I've played the PSX version
>and I did not notice these problems on the PSX version of MK3.
>Now, considering that the Saturn is supposed to have such an awesome
>sound chip, what's going on here???
>
>I do realize that most of the samples are stored on the CD as regular
>audio tracks (like the PSX version) but the PSX version, as I've said
>before, didn't have the amount of audio problems that I've heard
>when playing the Saturn version.
>
>Also, 4 of the tracks on the CD have the announcer saying "Round 1",
>"Round 2", etc. However, I've yet to hear these announcements during
>an actual game. What gives?
>
>I'd appreciate any info as I'd like to know if I have a defective
>copy of the game or a problem with my system (which seems doubtful,
>considering all my other games seem to work fine...).

I don't know, I've been playing my copy for two days now and the
sound is fine.

Eric Castle

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96

MASAO HORIO) writes:
> > Ok, I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my copy of UMK3
> > or if there's something wrong with my Saturn or whatever, but when
> > I play UMK3 on the Saturn, the game is constantly cutting the sound
> > samples off too early or simply not playing them at all. Sometimes,
> > it sounds as if one sound sample begins playing before the one before
> > it has stopped, thus muffling the sample. I've played the PSX version
> > and I did not notice these problems on the PSX version of MK3.
> > Now, considering that the Saturn is supposed to have such an awesome
> > sound chip, what's going on here???
> >

> Hmmm, I haven't had any trouble with the sounds being cutt off, but I have had
> trouble with the voices. The announcer voice isn't very loud and when you win
> the match you can hardly hear him say Kitana Win's, Fatality. It kinda
makes me
> mad.
>
> Dustin--

I'd be mad too. I haven't picked this game up yet, but I will as soon as
EB gets more in. I've seen other posts about the volume levels varying
widely during the game. And another poster also had sound samples being
cut off sometimes. Man, how could they screw up the sound? To me the
sound is a critical part of MK. First we get MKII which leaves out lots of
sounds/voices and now it seems like UMK3 has some sound problems of a
different sort. What is it about these companies, can't we have a bug free
sound version of MK on the Saturn? Sheesh.

I'm still gonna get the game but if the sound pisses me off too much I'm
going to take it back.

--
Eric
eric_...@taligent.com

Jenn Dolari 'n' Baron Otto von Cheesebiscuit

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96

p...@taurus.sfsu.edu (PATRICK MASAO HORIO) wrote:
>Ok, I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my copy of UMK3
>or if there's something wrong with my Saturn or whatever, but when
>I play UMK3 on the Saturn, the game is constantly cutting the sound
>samples off too early or simply not playing them at all.

This was one of the biggest problems I've had with the game, on top f the
hyper-Motaro. :)

Jenn

CHUN LI - SHEEVA - KITANA - SONYA BLADE - MILEENA - SINDEL - CAMMY
ROSE Strength. Beauty. We have no equal in the kingdom. KING
PAI - SAKURA - JUN das...@eden.com KIM WU - ANNA - MAI
JADE - ELLIS http://www.eden.com/~dastari SOFIA - NINA
HSIEN KO http://tmok2.tmok.com/copdnnet/dastari.htm MICHELLE
CHAOS - MORRIGAN - CHARLOTTE - NAKORURU - CHAM CHAM - FELICIA - ORCHID

Scott Spencer

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96
Dustin Cushman wrote:

> In article <4r045i$8...@news.csus.edu>, p...@taurus.sfsu.edu (PATRICK MASAO HORIO) writes:
> > Ok, I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my copy of UMK3
> > or if there's something wrong with my Saturn or whatever, but when
> > I play UMK3 on the Saturn, the game is constantly cutting the sound
> > samples off too early or simply not playing them at all. Sometimes,
> > it sounds as if one sound sample begins playing before the one before
> > it has stopped, thus muffling the sample. I've played the PSX version
> > and I did not notice these problems on the PSX version of MK3.
> > Now, considering that the Saturn is supposed to have such an awesome
> > sound chip, what's going on here???
> >
> Hmmm, I haven't had any trouble with the sounds being cutt off, but I have had
> trouble with the voices. The announcer voice isn't very loud and when you win
> the match you can hardly hear him say Kitana Win's, Fatality. It kinda makes me
> mad.
>
> Dustin--

I've noticed sound samples getting cut off at various times as well. The
announcer is barely audible at all over the other noises and music, and
there's no way to adjust the volume of the announcer (only the music). In
addition, there's no "Round 1" announcement before the match, and half the
time he doesn't say "Fight!". When you do a Mercy, there's no voice saying
"Sonya shows Mercy" either.

Strange enough, when you listen to the CD tracks, all of these different
sayings and voices can be heard. It's odd that they're not used during the
game.

> Dustin Cushman
> rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu
> George Mason University
> http://www.erols.com/rdustin
> Dustin's Saturn/Days/Tarot Pages

*** "One man's innocent opinion is another man's vulgar profanity" ***
*** OuY evHA OTo HuMc mETi nO UYrO nhDas! ***

Jenn Dolari

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

In article <eric_castle-28...@eric-castle.taligent.com>,
eric_...@taligent.com (Eric Castle) wrote:

>I'm still gonna get the game but if the sound pisses me off too much I'm
>going to take it back.

It's not the sound that'll piss you off...Motaro will! :)

Greg Wittel

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

p...@taurus.sfsu.edu (PATRICK MASAO HORIO) wrote:

gives?

>>I'd appreciate any info as I'd like to know if I have a defective
>>copy of the game or a problem with my system (which seems doubtful,
>>considering all my other games seem to work fine...).

I am told that if you go to the Saturn settings and set the sound from
Stereo to MONO this will fix the problems.

-Greg
[ d i g i t a l e x t r e m e s ]
[ http://www.midtown.net/~psykik/ ]
[ Sega Saturn, software, and more ]
[ ------------------------------- ]
[ E m a i l : psy...@midtown.net ]

Jeff Bateman

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

Stratos Fastest lap 50"94
3 laps 2'36"67
Celica standard fastest lap 53"44
3 laps 2'42"52
Celica tuned 3 laps 2'41"89

We really have not played with the delta that much.

All times are for Desert Time attack

These are a bit better since we decided the starto's is a real car and
started using it.
anybody know how to get the fourth car ? Yes car we already have the
lake.

BJ Atchley

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

Jeff Bateman <jeff...@frontiernet.net> writes:

49"32 with the stratos since you consider it a car now. You can shave
a few milliseconds on the straightaway by staying close to the railing on the
right.

=-=-=- BJ Atchley =-=-=-=- b...@mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu -=-=-=-=-=-=
WD Games-VF2-X-Files-Filter-AD&D-Alto Saxophone-Jpn History
D. Eddings-Orson S. Card-L. Niven-M. Python-Anime-Babylon 5
Sliders-Stabbing Westward-NBA Action-PSX-Saturn
You can't say you've lived....until you're dead- Me