STUCK in Super Metroid!

Tim Jump

Jul 30, 1994, 11:21:11 AM7/30/94
Hep me! PLEEEEASE hep me!

I am COMPLETELY stuck in Super Metroid, and have been for the past two
hours! Here's where I am: I've completely explored Crateria, and have
about half of Brinstar in the pink. I've got the Super Missles (defeated
that big plant-thing), a couple of energy tanks (found one in the old
Metroid area on Brinstar, used the "multiple bomb" method to get up high
enough to grab it), the morph-ball and the bombs (NOT the super-bomb,
though I'd kill for it). Where can I go?

There are a couple of areas I cannot get through for the life of me. The
first is the long room running to the right, where if you run on the
blocks they disappear and these big gates come down in front of you.
Then there's another vertical area that it is simply impossible to get
all the way up on (the triangle jump doesn't work because of ledges that
stop you, and the multiple-bomb method not only blows up ledges, but
doesn't stop those things flying from side to side from hitting you), and
it's even impossible to get out of that area because of that gate you
have to shoot to get in; I can find no way to get it back open from the
other side.

If somebody could please just drop me a hint, both I and my frustration
would be eternally grateful.

--
/ \ Tim Jump - tj...@panix.com / \
/ _ \ / _ \

Eric the Red

Jul 30, 1994, 12:18:02 PM7/30/94
Tim Jump (tj...@panix.com) wrote:

: I am COMPLETELY stuck in Super Metroid, and have been for the past two

: hours! Here's where I am: I've completely explored Crateria, and have
: about half of Brinstar in the pink. I've got the Super Missles (defeated
: that big plant-thing), a couple of energy tanks (found one in the old
: Metroid area on Brinstar, used the "multiple bomb" method to get up high
: enough to grab it), the morph-ball and the bombs (NOT the super-bomb,
: though I'd kill for it). Where can I go?

You _bombed_ up to the top of the screen? Dude, I am impressed.

: If somebody could please just drop me a hint, both I and my frustration
: would be eternally grateful.

First thing you need to get is the high jump boots...they're in Norfair...you
need to go to Norfair. If someone wants to enlighten me as to how to get
there, as I've forgotten... it's the bottom middle of Brinstar, I think. You
have to use your limited dash (B button, I think, on standard config, but I'm
not sure) to cross some block that fall away from under you. I was stuck in
the same place for a long long time...
--
Eric VanHeest gt7...@prism.gatech.edu
"Computer Scientists fix it by pushing bits...Computer Engineers use a hot

Tim Jump

Jul 30, 1994, 2:06:57 PM7/30/94
Eric the Red (gt7...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
: Tim Jump (tj...@panix.com) wrote:

: : I am COMPLETELY stuck in Super Metroid, and have been for the past two
: : hours! Here's where I am: I've completely explored Crateria, and have
: : about half of Brinstar in the pink. I've got the Super Missles (defeated
: : that big plant-thing), a couple of energy tanks (found one in the old
: : Metroid area on Brinstar, used the "multiple bomb" method to get up high
: : enough to grab it), the morph-ball and the bombs (NOT the super-bomb,
: : though I'd kill for it). Where can I go?

: You _bombed_ up to the top of the screen? Dude, I am impressed.

Actually, it's just a matter of getting the right rhythm going...

: : If somebody could please just drop me a hint, both I and my frustration
: : would be eternally grateful.

: First thing you need to get is the high jump boots...they're in Norfair...you
: need to go to Norfair. If someone wants to enlighten me as to how to get
: there, as I've forgotten... it's the bottom middle of Brinstar, I think. You
: have to use your limited dash (B button, I think, on standard config, but I'm
: not sure) to cross some block that fall away from under you. I was stuck in
: the same place for a long long time...

Right, that's one of the biggest problems I'm having. There is no way to
use the regular fast run to get across those blocks quickly enough to
make it under the closing gate. I've even tried ducking at the last
minute to scoot under the gates...I made it under one, but could never
move fast enough to not fall down the next set of blocks.

: --

: Eric VanHeest gt7...@prism.gatech.edu
: "Computer Scientists fix it by pushing bits...Computer Engineers use a hot
: soldering iron to refresh the computer's memory."
: -- The higher the technology, the louder we yell at it...

Thanks anyway, Eric.

Eric the Red

Jul 30, 1994, 8:03:28 PM7/30/94
Tim Jump (tj...@panix.com) wrote:

: tomato-looking things that wander around the floor spitting darts every
: so often), if that leads to Norfair I can't get to it, probably because
: either I need the super-bombs or the jump boots. I _think_ it's the one
: where at the end of the passage you're in that vertical section I
: mentioned: There's no way up without jump boots (and probably the ice
: beam, since there's lots of those suckers flying back and forth) and the
: only thing down is a block that when destroyed releases this little
: face-hugger thingy that you can only kill with a super missile.

I think you need to shoot the floor here...

Eric the Red

Jul 30, 1994, 6:57:40 PM7/30/94
Tim Jump (tj...@panix.com) wrote:

: Right, that's one of the biggest problems I'm having. There is no way to

: use the regular fast run to get across those blocks quickly enough to
: make it under the closing gate. I've even tried ducking at the last
: minute to scoot under the gates...I made it under one, but could never
: move fast enough to not fall down the next set of blocks.

No, not the closing gates; that's a different place. There's a place to the
right and down that has dropaway blocks under you (but no closing gates) that
you can dash across and get to Norfair.

Alex Eddy

Aug 1, 1994, 10:48:45 PM8/1/94
Tim Jump (tj...@panix.com) wrote:
: Hep me! PLEEEEASE hep me!
I'm hep, man.

: I am COMPLETELY stuck in Super Metroid, and have been for the past two
[snip]
: enough to grab it), the morph-ball and the bombs (NOT the super-bomb,

: though I'd kill for it). Where can I go?

See below for a way to cheat and get Super-bombs way before you should.

: There are a couple of areas I cannot get through for the life of me.
Don't worry, be happy. The whole games is "oh, can't get THAT yet..."

: Then there's another vertical area that it is simply impossible to get

: all the way up on (the triangle jump doesn't work because of ledges that
: stop you, and the multiple-bomb method not only blows up ledges, but
: doesn't stop those things flying from side to side from hitting you), and

Actually, if you are >cool< (grin) you CAN get up there with only 5 super
missiles. Don't need jump boots, ice beam, etc etc. First bounce up to
where the flying things are. Kill them with super missiles so they're
out of your way. You'll have to use the bounce-off the wall (not wall>s<)
method to get up high enough. You may want to practice this somewhere else
first... Just pretend you're doing the 'triangle' jump, with only one
wall. Oh, also remember, you CAN jump off the side of a one-block tall
ledge. :) So, after you've cleared the area of interfering creatures
(there are 4, so you either mess up once or end up with one super missile
left) you can jump all the way up to where the vertical tunnel ends with
shoot-able bricks. This is the hard part: Jump out into the middle of the
tunnel, shoot up into the bricks to destroy them. Since shooting causes
samus to come out of her roll, you can't bouce off the wall anymore,
and will fall all the way down. QUICKLY bounce back up, and you can jump
through the opening before the bricks 'regrow'. This takes a lot of practice,
but is doable.
Once (finally) on top, you go through the door into a room probably
more difficult than any you've seen yet. If you have enough energy
you'll make it through and the Super bombs aren't far after that.
Be careful though, the monsters in that area are a lot tougher than
previous monsters in Brinster (as you're not >supposed< to be there
untill much later, when you have the ice beam. :) ) After you have
super bombs, I suggest you fall all the way back down the long
vertical corridor, sneak into Norfair just long enough to grab
an Energy tank, 1 missile, and the jump boots. Then take on Kraid...
be sure to use the Charge Spazer beam.

: If somebody could please just drop me a hint, both I and my frustration
: would be eternally grateful.
Mmm hmm.

-arekusu

Ann De Arras

Aug 4, 1994, 9:05:21 AM8/4/94
In article <31dr57$e...@panix3.panix.com> tj...@panix.com (Tim Jump)
writes:

> Hep me! PLEEEEASE hep me!
>
> I am COMPLETELY stuck in Super Metroid, and have been for the past
two
> hours! Here's where I am: I've completely explored Crateria, and
have
> about half of Brinstar in the pink. I've got the Super Missles
(defeated
> that big plant-thing), a couple of energy tanks (found one in the old
> Metroid area on Brinstar, used the "multiple bomb" method to get up
high
> enough to grab it), the morph-ball and the bombs (NOT the super-bomb,
> though I'd kill for it). Where can I go?
>
> There are a couple of areas I cannot get through for the life of me.
The
> first is the long room running to the right, where if you run on the
> blocks they disappear and these big gates come down in front of you.
You need the speed booster in norfair, which you can not get without
the gravity suit from kraid. the enterance to his domain is east of
the elevator to norfair, through super missile bricks.

> Then there's another vertical area that it is simply impossible to
get
> all the way up on (the triangle jump doesn't work because of ledges
that
> stop you, and the multiple-bomb method not only blows up ledges, but
> doesn't stop those things flying from side to side from hitting you),
and
> it's even impossible to get out of that area because of that gate you
> have to shoot to get in; I can find no way to get it back open from
the
> other side.

if this is the coridor with a super missile door blocking an energy
recharge station, and another blue door on the opposite side, you have
to have the ice beam from norfair to get back up. otherweise, i will
need a more detailed description.

spencer...@sd149.com

Apr 13, 2020, 7:05:49 PM4/13/20
the b button

Sam the Salmon

Oct 10, 2022, 5:13:28 PM10/10/22
it's pretty simple tim; go one room below the room with the closing gates (the pink room that requires missles to open), and run to the right until you reach a wall that looks breakable, shoot the wall and pass through
on the next room you wanna go ALL the way down, THERE you will see a green door, shoot a super missile to open it, and from there you can get to the rest of brinstar and make more progress
make sure you're holding the run button while crossing the green bridge so the crumbling blocs don't take you with them!
hope this heps
Also, Yahav says hi