** NOA News from Toys 'R Us source **

Carlos Diaz (CS)

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95

Anyone here can confirm the following info?
My cousin at Toys 'R Us told me that the NOA's sales rep. informed him that
Star Fox II was cancelled. This was further verified by my cousin when
the latest Nintendo demo-laser disk arrive and had no ad for Star Fox II
(and Comanche as well, if I remember correctly). According to the rep.
Nintendo withdrew Star Fox II (even though they had advertised it on the
previous demo disk) because polygon graphics are no longer an acceptable
standard today.
The representative also stated that no company would be able to match or
exceed the Virtual Boy. Obviously, NOA doesn't keep up with it's competitors
very well : Hasbro announced it would release a 64-bit Color virtual
reality system, similar to the Virtual Boy.
NOA is apparently, however listening to its many customer who are
complaining about "gilded" games. A gilded game is one which is all
graphics no game play, like a rusty nail gilded with gold. Many of the games
that were ready for NU64 release were returned to the programming houses
because they were not using the Ultra 64's full power. Hence, the delay in
release date (or so they say). There are about 5 games ready for the market
(rumors are these include PilotWings 2, Killer Instinct 2, Robotech, and
a Zelda game (????)) but because the other games were sent back for
redesigning, NOA delayed the release of the Ultra-64 so that they would not
have to wait months for the resubmition (sp) of the other games. I guess it
make sense, 5 games and one console for about 6 months would get old fast.
Now for the good part. How many out there can confirm any of this? :)
Thanks a million!
-Carlos Diaz

CrsGardner

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
The StarFox "cancellation" is true... but not quite. StarFox II,
according to people I know around the industry is being "revamped" for a
later release. The fact the graphics were too unsophisticated is also a
true statement. It is possible that the game may come out before the
Ultra does- but look towards a fully Ultra-based (non-SNES) translation
late next year.

Also true is the comment about Nintendo riding high on the VB. It is
quite obivous with neither hide nor hair of any descent information on the
Ultra, NOA is trying to wring as much hype (albiet, very little) out of
the VB release in August. Also being hyped are the two SGI-rendered SNES
games: Killer Instinct and DKC2.

A few of my better "sources" have told me about a possible early release
for the Ultra, but it's still very iffy. The three keys to an early
release, of course, would be
1.) PlayStation sales
2.) Saturn sales
3.) 16-bit SNES sales
Any of these factors, or a combination of the three, could get the Ultra
released in the states before Christmas. Nintendo, I am told, has left
its options open for an early release "just in case", much like the Saturn
did a month ago.

Chris

Tom Goulter

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950612165509.3875C-100000@sunburst>,

I hate to sound so cynical, but there's a term for people like your
cousin. It's an anagram of the words "Shull of Fit".
--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>tgo...@actrix.gen.nz<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>"Hi, my name's Elliot. I'm with the Cub Scouts of America - we're selling <>

cott...@ashley.cofc.edu

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
In article <DA3vB...@actrix.gen.nz>, tgo...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tom Goulter) writes:
> In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950612165509.3875C-100000@sunburst>,
> Carlos Diaz (CS) <cd...@eng.usf.edu> wrote:
>>
>> <<Snip about the cancellation of Starfox II>>

> I hate to sound so cynical, but there's a term for people like your
> cousin. It's an anagram of the words "Shull of Fit".
> --

That's "spoonerism". An "anagram" is NOA (Nintendo of America) or Nasa (
National Aeronautics and Space Administration).

--

Robert

|God put me on Earth to do a certain number of things.|
| Now, I am so far behind, I will never die! |
|_____________...@COFC.EDU__________________|

Riptor21

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
its crap.

Tim Read

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95

> That's "spoonerism". An "anagram" is NOA (Nintendo of America) or Nasa (
> National Aeronautics and Space Administration).

Spoonerism may be right, *but*, an *acronym* is like NOA or NASA, or SHIT (Special
High Intensity Training)... an anagram would be Spring Session M=Missing Persons..

-Tim Read
-St. Louis
-NP:

Richard Hardy

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
In <3rj97r$b...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> ript...@aol.com (Riptor21)
writes:

>its crap.

Huuuuuuhhhhhhhh???????

Iron Helix

"Free us, or die."

---Luke Skywalker

Tom Goulter

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
In article <1995Jun1...@ashley.cofc.edu>,

<cott...@ashley.cofc.edu> wrote:
> In article <DA3vB...@actrix.gen.nz>, tgo...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tom Goulter) writes:
> > In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950612165509.3875C-100000@sunburst>,
> > Carlos Diaz (CS) <cd...@eng.usf.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> <<Snip about the cancellation of Starfox II>>
>
> > I hate to sound so cynical, but there's a term for people like your
> > cousin. It's an anagram of the words "Shull of Fit".
> > --
>
> That's "spoonerism". An "anagram" is NOA (Nintendo of America) or Nasa (
> National Aeronautics and Space Administration).

I stand partially corrected. An anagram is mixed up letters of a word,
and
when done effectively it forms another word or words. "Shull of fit" is a
spoonerism as well, mind you (a more correct anagram would be, say, "shut
fo' fill", but then nobody would get the joke, such as it was). NOA is
not an
anagram for anything except NAO or ONA or any other permutation of the
letters N, O, and A. I forget what the proper name for a set of initials is.
Sorry about this everyone. I should've taken this to Email, but in my
haste to clear my name I have polluted perfectly good bandwidth with
discussion that would not be out of place on rec.boring.dorks or something
similar. But be fair; if you must flame me, at least flame Dr. English
here as well :).

nobd...@imap1.asu.edu

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95

On 13 Jun 1995 cott...@ashley.cofc.edu wrote:

> > I hate to sound so cynical, but there's a term for people like your
> > cousin. It's an anagram of the words "Shull of Fit".
> > --
>
> That's "spoonerism". An "anagram" is NOA (Nintendo of America) or Nasa (
> National Aeronautics and Space Administration).
>

> Robert

> |God put me on Earth to do a certain number of things.|
> | Now, I am so far behind, I will never die! |
> |_____________...@COFC.EDU__________________|

No, that's "Anagram". "Spoonerism" is meant in terms of a slip of the
tongue, ie "I drink I'm thrunk". NOA and Nasa are ACRONYMS. Just what
are you studying at cofc.edu? JK

Jim deVos

Andrew S.Y. Chin

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
In article <1995Jun1...@ashley.cofc.edu>,

>That's "spoonerism". An "anagram" is NOA (Nintendo of America) or Nasa (
>National Aeronautics and Space Administration).

Wrong. That phrase is both a spoonerism and an anagram. An "anagram" is
when you can rearrange the letters of a word or phrase and come up with a
new one. Like "Opus" and "soup," to take a classic Bloom County example.
The reason that other phrase counts as both is because the letters used
are the same. Now, if they were not, like the difference between "sew a
sheet," and "show a seat," then it would be exclusively a spoonerism.

Incidently, NOA standing for Nintendo of America, and AIDS stading for
Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome are examples of "acronyms."

--
Andrew
a...@seattle.edu

pasquale demaio

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
cott...@ashley.cofc.edu wrote:
: In article <DA3vB...@actrix.gen.nz>, tgo...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tom Goulter) writes:
: > In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950612165509.3875C-100000@sunburst>,
: > Carlos Diaz (CS) <cd...@eng.usf.edu> wrote:
: >> <<Snip about the cancellation of Starfox II>>
: > I hate to sound so cynical, but there's a term for people like your
: > cousin. It's an anagram of the words "Shull of Fit".
: > --

: That's "spoonerism". An "anagram" is NOA (Nintendo of America) or Nasa (

: National Aeronautics and Space Administration).

Actually it's both a spoonerism and an anagram.. NASA is an acronym.
"a man a plan a canal panama" is a palindrome. "a Geo metro is a bit
underpowered" is a euphamism. "He was a good man, may he R.I.P." is a
eulogy. "You can't get blood from a stone" is an axiom. "You sister" is
a good lay. Oops, that one just slipped in there.
Pasquale DeMaio

Who Says you can't learn anything surfing the Video Games groups.

Matthew Manuel

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
In article <1995Jun1...@ashley.cofc.edu> you wrote:

: That's "spoonerism". An "anagram" is NOA (Nintendo of America) or Nasa (
: National Aeronautics and Space Administration).

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttt!!!! those are acronyms. An anagram _IS_ something in
which you are supposed to rearrange the letters to get the correct
word/phrase...Please know your facts before you nit-pick at somebody, or
be flamed! q;-)
*** This has been a public service announcement from....ME! q:-) ***
--
+-----------+----------------+-------------------------+
| \-\\/-// | Matthew Manuel | Disclaimer: |
| \-\\// +----------------+----+ | . .
| Marvin | ab...@ccn.cs.dal.ca | "I didn't do it!" | . .
| /-//\\ +---------------------+--------------------+ . .
| /-//\-\\ | http://ccn.cs.dal.ca/~ab752/Profile.html | . .
+-----------+------------------------------------------+ . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Reptile26

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
OK,OK,OK, why the hell are we talking about stupid word associations??
Talk about the new NOA news.

Ken kenocar@ns.net

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
cott...@ashley.cofc.edu wrote:

>In article <DA3vB...@actrix.gen.nz>, tgo...@atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Tom Goulter) writes:
>> In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950612165509.3875C-100000@sunburst>,
>> Carlos Diaz (CS) <cd...@eng.usf.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> <<Snip about the cancellation of Starfox II>>

>> I hate to sound so cynical, but there's a term for people like your
>> cousin. It's an anagram of the words "Shull of Fit".
>> --

>That's "spoonerism". An "anagram" is NOA (Nintendo of America) or Nasa (

>National Aeronautics and Space Administration).

I believe you are right about "spoonerism" but I think "NOA" and Nasa
are acronyms while an anagram is a word formed by using the letters of
another word, as in: god = dog . Just my 2 cents worth.

>> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>tgo...@actrix.gen.nz<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>> <>"Hi, my name's Elliot. I'm with the Cub Scouts of America - we're selling <>
>> <> uncut cocaine so we can go on the jambouree" -True Romance <>
>> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Tom Goulter

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
In article <DA8IG...@cs.dal.ca>, Matthew Manuel <ab...@ccn.cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> In article <1995Jun1...@ashley.cofc.edu> you wrote:
>
> : That's "spoonerism". An "anagram" is NOA (Nintendo of America) or Nasa (

> : National Aeronautics and Space Administration).
> Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttt!!!! those are acronyms. An anagram _IS_ something in
> which you are supposed to rearrange the letters to get the correct
> word/phrase...Please know your facts before you nit-pick at somebody, or
> be flamed! q;-)
> *** This has been a public service announcement from....ME! q:-) ***

That's exactly what I was trying to think of but couldn't. Gosh, this
is the first time I've taken an innocious enough thread and taken it
light years away from the original subject. I can't help feeling a little
proud (:
(PS: Wouldn't it look good for N if we showed someone in charge of
education that we spend our time on r.v.g.n debating literary devices?) (:

Tom Goulter

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
In article <3rqu3u$8...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

Reptile26 <rept...@aol.com> wrote:
> OK,OK,OK, why the hell are we talking about stupid word associations??
> Talk about the new NOA news.

Does it hold any weight if I, the poor fool who started all this with my
not-really-funny rebuttal of the "NOA News", second this motion?

Kevin Heider

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In <3sdsbr$4...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com> vega...@ix.netcom.com (Leonardo
& Javier Vega ) writes:

>Hasbro's new VR Helmet is gonna cost you $500 or more, that is if
>it's any good. Because a 64-bit VR helemt is NOT cheap! HASBRO????
>yeah I'm really gonna buy a system from a toy maker!

Well then you better buy a SONY PSX! Nintendo is NOTHING MORE THAN A
TOY COMPANY!! When was the last time you did anything on a SNES, other
than play games?

-- Kevin Heider

Leonardo & Javier Vega

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In <Pine.SUN.3.91.950612165509.3875C-100000@sunburst> "Carlos Diaz

First, Star Fox 2 has become Star Fox X for the U64! Hasbro's new

VR Helmet is gonna cost you $500 or more, that is if it's any good.
Because a 64-bit VR helemt is NOT cheap! HASBRO???? yeah I'm really

gonna buy a system from a toy maker! There is never really any mention
of this unkown Helmet in any magazine. Who will support it?
But atleast Nintendo is experienced and has a ton of 3rd party
developers backing them up.

Renee's Boyfriend

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
k.he...@ix.netcom.com (Kevin Heider) wrote:
>In <3sdsbr$4...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com> vega...@ix.netcom.com (Leonardo
>& Javier Vega ) writes:
>
>>Hasbro's new VR Helmet is gonna cost you $500 or more, that is if
>>it's any good. Because a 64-bit VR helemt is NOT cheap! HASBRO????
>>yeah I'm really gonna buy a system from a toy maker!
>
>Well then you better buy a SONY PSX! Nintendo is NOTHING MORE THAN A
>TOY COMPANY!! When was the last time you did anything on a SNES, other
>than play games?
>
>-- Kevin Heider

Uhm... what do you expect from a video game console, other than to
play games? Anything else is just a gimmick. That's what
computers are for.
--

R E N E E ' S ========= ...hey, I couldn't figure out a cool
handle -- so I'm stuck with this one

Kevin Heider

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
In <3so2ql$2...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>
z007...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us (Peter Laviniere) writes:

>: In <3sdsbr$4...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com> vega...@ix.netcom.com (Leonardo

>: & Javier Vega ) writes:
>: >Hasbro's new VR Helmet is gonna cost you $500 or more, that is if
>: >it's any good. Because a 64-bit VR helemt is NOT cheap! HASBRO????
>: >yeah I'm really gonna buy a system from a toy maker!

>: Well then you better buy a SONY PSX! Nintendo is NOTHING MORE THAN A

>: TOY COMPANY!! When was the last time you did anything on a SNES,
>: other than play games?

>Well, this post makes absolutely no sense. WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU
>EXPECT TO DO ON A PSX BESIDES PLAY VIDEO GAMES. Hey, I guess that
makes >Sony a toy company too. Well golly gee, we got us a genius
here.
>Alright Forrest, give the account back to your dad, at least he might
>make some sense.
>
>--
>KiiLA - Destroyer of Worlds
>email: z007...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us

Well horses ass, I meant it as more of a joke than anything. If you
re-read it, it might make sense. I am sure your daddy will be willing
to help you.

-- Kevin Heider

Peter Laviniere