Re: NRA blames video games for mass shootings

Anarcissie

Dec 28, 2012, 9:22:46 AM12/28/12
On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:01:17 -0600, Khelair wrote:
> IMO this is all just a really pointed indication that there are
> some serious problems in society that need to be addressed. ...

One might want to be aware that the number of homicides
per year where the weapon used is a gun is going down.
The recent shootings have been spectacular, but they are
statistically not very significant, and laws and policies
are supposed to be made to deal with the general, not the
particular. Maybe the number of guns should be reduced,
by force or otherwise, but if so, this was as true before
the shootings as after.

As for causes, in a country of 310 million people, there
are going to be a certain number who go off the rails in
their own peculiar and idiosyncratic ways. Searching for
some generic social cause would require many more of these
incidents, which fortunately we don't observe. If we're
just guessing, I'd say publication of big stories about
these incidents in the dumber media probably 'cause' more
than games or anything else.