What's the point of libre video game having modding APIs when, being libre, people could instead fork them or submit patches?

Blue-Maned_Hawk

Jan 18, 2023, 6:57:46 AM1/18/23

--
⚗︎ | /blu.mɛin.dʰak/ | shortens to "Hawk" | he/him/his/himself/Mr.
bluemanedhawk.github.io

Irene Knapp

Jun 15, 2023, 10:10:17 PM6/15/23
Belatedly, in the spirit of trying to use Usenet more...!

Whether it makes sense for any particular game is kind of up to the
game. Speaking as a programmer, it is nice to have a well-defined
interface, programs that take the time to think about how to turn the
functionality into a clean API are usually better programs.

Also, depending on a lot of other things, in some cases having a proper
module loading system might make it possible to write mods in a
different language than the game itself.

No idea whether you were still interested in this, but hey, you shouted
it into the void and all that, so I figured I'd try.

Irene

Pabitra Barman

Jul 21, 2023, 8:35:31 AM7/21/23
tbh i think usenet is outdated fr

Pabitra Barman

Jul 21, 2023, 8:35:47 AM7/21/23
On Friday, 16 June 2023 at 07:40:17 UTC+5:30, Irene Knapp wrote:
ye