What size TV do you use to play classic games?

The Space Boss

Sep 20, 2005, 10:19:29 PM9/20/05
You've all seen pictures of my basement, right? I have 10 television
sets down there (long story... there is a certain brand I collect, and
buy every time I see one at a thrift store..)

Anyway, I personally like to play on a 19 or 20 inch screen, as that is
pretty much the standard of an ARCADE game, so naturally it would
follow to try to hook home systems up to this standard.

I have one table available down there that I'm thinking of doing
something with, like hooking up a computer system with perepherals
(Commodore or Atari computer with disc drives, perepherals, etc.. or
perhaps an Intellivision computer setup, or even an Adam!). The trouble
is, this particular table is long enough, but not quite big enough to
hold a 19 inch TV. I have a small 13 inch TV that would fit perfect,
but I don't know how I feel about playing games on a smaller screen.

What are your thoughts about this? On one hand, I really like to stick
with the 19 inch.. on the other hand, didn't a lot of classic game
displays in stores (atari,intellivision) use a 13 inch screen? I guess
I could use that to reconcile the whole small screen thing if you know
what I mean. I'm trying to figure out what to do. What types of TV's do
you hook your games up to?

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Aaron J. Bossig

Sep 20, 2005, 11:28:40 PM9/20/05
"The Space Boss" <drsmi...@aol.com> wrote in

> What are your thoughts about this? On one hand, I really like to stick
> with the 19 inch.. on the other hand, didn't a lot of classic game
> displays in stores (atari,intellivision) use a 13 inch screen? I guess
> I could use that to reconcile the whole small screen thing if you know
> what I mean.

Tough call. Really tough call. Most demos I'd seen before the mid-90s
used smaller TVs, so I think you'd have no problem feeling "authentic".
however, do you really think you'd be comfortable playing on that size
set in this room? I don't know... only you can answer that. If you can
hook up your small-screen set, and see it and be happy, go for it.

Or hell, get a new table.

>I'm trying to figure out what to do. What types of TV's do
> you hook your games up to?

I'm the wrong person to ask this. The reason being, my setup is
designed more to suit my immediate needs than it is to make my
"dream game room". I do most of my gaming on a 13" TV, because it
fits aside of my desk where I do most of my work (and most of my
playing). Occasionally, I'll hook something up to the 27" set in
the family room, but not often.

My goal is to eventually settle on a nice 45-55" HDTV set, and take
my display totally modern. When it happens, I'm setting up things
*right*.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

rob_o...@hotmail.com

Sep 21, 2005, 1:26:15 AM9/21/05
I alternate between a DLP XGA front projector displaying a 100" screen
(with everything upconvereted to 1080i) to a 13" Commodore 1084s that
I can flip on it's side for vertically oriented games like Xevious.

A pretty big difference, but both have their advantages. It freaks
people out to see Pac-man taking up their entire wall. ;-)

All my classic gaming these days is done with a a hacked Xbox running
emulators. All of it in one convenient box.

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 21, 2005, 1:41:31 AM9/21/05
> Tough call. Really tough call. Most demos I'd seen before the mid-90s
> used smaller TVs, so I think you'd have no problem feeling "authentic".
> however, do you really think you'd be comfortable playing on that size
> set in this room? I don't know... only you can answer that. If you can
> hook up your small-screen set, and see it and be happy, go for it.

If you remember correctly TVs were much smaller in the 80s. Our 'family
big screen' was probably 25 inches. The TV I used to play most of my
games on was a circa 1980 Sears 12 or 13inch set that was at least in
color. Anyway, screw that. The only displays I have that are smaller
than 15inches are a few old C= monitors I still have. Sometimes I'll
hook up a system to one of those because they have excellent clairty,
much better than a TV set. But for the most part I use my 61in NTSC
RPTV.

There's being authentic, then there's being practical.

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com

The Space Boss

Sep 21, 2005, 1:50:03 AM9/21/05

rob_o...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I alternate between a DLP XGA front projector displaying a 100" screen
> (with everything upconvereted to 1080i) to a 13" Commodore 1084s that
> I can flip on it's side for vertically oriented games like Xevious.

I though Xevious was a top down shooter??

> A pretty big difference, but both have their advantages. It freaks
> people out to see Pac-man taking up their entire wall. ;-)
>
> All my classic gaming these days is done with a a hacked Xbox running
> emulators. All of it in one convenient box.

do they sell hacked xboxes on ebay?

Emi M Briet

Sep 21, 2005, 2:01:24 AM9/21/05
In article <1127269169.2...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

"The Space Boss" <drsmi...@aol.com> wrote:

> Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

I use my 27" screen...

But I have access to an 8-foot screen ;)

rob_o...@hotmail.com

Sep 21, 2005, 10:54:38 AM9/21/05

The Space Boss wrote:
> rob_o...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I alternate between a DLP XGA front projector displaying a 100" screen
> > (with everything upconvereted to 1080i) to a 13" Commodore 1084s that
> > I can flip on it's side for vertically oriented games like Xevious.
>
> I though Xevious was a top down shooter??

It is, but the monitor is in 'portrait' orientation (taller than it is
wide) in the upright. If you were to view this on a horizontal monitor
you would end up playing the game in a vertical stripe down the center
of the screen -- not a very good use of the screen real estate. You
could also play the game in cocktail mode, but that just puts the same
sized vertical stripe to the left and the score/lives display on the
right. On the PS1 Namco museum disks you could select a rotated screen
with the dip switch settings and turn your monitor/TV on it's side.
Xbox Mame lets you do the same thing. Pretty darn close to the arcade
experience.

> > A pretty big difference, but both have their advantages. It freaks
> > people out to see Pac-man taking up their entire wall. ;-)
> >
> > All my classic gaming these days is done with a a hacked Xbox running
> > emulators. All of it in one convenient box.
>
> do they sell hacked xboxes on ebay?

Definitely not, since mod chips or softmodded Xboxes are considered
illegal in some areas -- though not in Canada. Best bet is to find
someone locally or check the buy/sell forums on www.xbox-scene.com for
someone selling a modded xbox with an upgraded hard drive (for MAME
you'd want around 4 Gigs, Daphne laserdisk mpegs can take up about
15-20 Gigs, An entire Amiga library would use up about 7 Gigs, etc.
The stock Xbox has either a 10 or 20 Gig HD in it (of which only 8 is
actually useable).

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 21, 2005, 11:43:36 AM9/21/05
> Definitely not, since mod chips or softmodded Xboxes are considered
> illegal in some areas -- though not in Canada. Best bet is to find
> someone locally or check the buy/sell forums on www.xbox-scene.com for
> someone selling a modded xbox with an upgraded hard drive (for MAME
> you'd want around 4 Gigs, Daphne laserdisk mpegs can take up about
> 15-20 Gigs, An entire Amiga library would use up about 7 Gigs, etc.
> The stock Xbox has either a 10 or 20 Gig HD in it (of which only 8 is
> actually useable).

You still see modded XBOXs on ebay from time to time, generally if you
avoid the buzzwords you can get away with it, but prices are nuts. The
easiest way to mod an xbox is to just softmod it. You just need any
xbox, a memory card and one of a handful of games, like 007 Agent Under
Fire. It takes all of 5 minutes to do the mod once you know what you're
doing, and works like a charm.

The XBOX has 8GB or HD space, but actually only 4.5 or so is usable for
games, etc. But, if you can play emulators/games, etc. off DVD+Rs just
fine, so that's one way around the hard drive limitation. Also, it is
possible to upgrade the hard drive on a soft mod, although I've never
done it. You can find all sorts of tutorials and such with google.

As far as emulation goes, nothing short of a MediaPC or something like
that beats an X-Box. Even then, i'd argue the X-BOX is better simply
because its so easy, total plug and play, tons of controllers, etc. No
drivers, no hassle. It will also run you about $1,000 cheaper than a
MediaPC as well!

The Space Boss

Sep 21, 2005, 1:12:41 PM9/21/05

Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:

> The
> easiest way to mod an xbox is to just softmod it. You just need any
> xbox, a memory card and one of a handful of games, like 007 Agent Under
> Fire. It takes all of 5 minutes to do the mod once you know what you're
> doing, and works like a charm.

How do you do it??

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 21, 2005, 1:45:24 PM9/21/05
> > Fire. It takes all of 5 minutes to do the mod once you know what you're
> > doing, and works like a charm.
> >

> How do you do it??

Ask the people who feed you what google is.

Hint: Has nothing to do with M-network games.

MrBiggles

Sep 21, 2005, 2:12:14 PM9/21/05
Do you have a computer with MAME set up down there too? Turn the monitor
on its side, then set MAME to shift the display by 90 degrees. Then get
one of those arcade controllers for your PC. ROCK.

crymad

Sep 21, 2005, 4:03:12 PM9/21/05

Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
> The only displays I have that are smaller than 15inches are a
> few old C= monitors I still have. Sometimes I'll hook up a
> system to one of those because they have excellent clairty,
> much better than a TV set.

Frantic, 2D shooting games seem better on my C= monitor. I think
the small size of the screen allows the eye to take in the entire
playfield, lessening the chances of dying from some unseen
projectile catching your vision off guard. Plus, it's a snap to
flip the monitor vertically to play in "tate" mode.

--crymad

crymad

Sep 21, 2005, 4:16:20 PM9/21/05

rob_o...@hotmail.com wrote:

> The Space Boss wrote:
>> do they sell hacked xboxes on ebay?
>

> Definitely not, since mod chips or softmodded Xboxes are
> considered illegal in some areas -- though not in Canada. Best
> bet is to find someone locally or check the buy/sell forums on
> www.xbox-scene.com for someone selling a modded xbox with an
> upgraded hard drive

Your local craigslist is a good way to find a mod job. I had mine
done this way -- I wanted a hard drive upgrade and didn't want to
attempt it on my own. Total cost was $45 plus cost of hard drive.
Plus cost of Xbox, of course.

The potential for easy emulation was the initial draw. But the
Media Center is getting quite a workout too. Download video,
transfer them to Xbox via disc or FTP with crossover cable, and
enjoy on the big screen. Or put the Xbox on your network, and you
don't even have to bother with transferring.

--crymad

Wizard of Wor

Sep 22, 2005, 12:00:25 AM9/22/05
The 2600 goes on a 25" Sanyo and the Jag goes on a 45" Mitsubishi.

The Space Boss

Sep 22, 2005, 12:06:11 AM9/22/05

Yes sir I do.. I don't have all the ROMS, but I have a lot of them. I
also have another computer that is EXCLUSIVELY dedicated to NEO RAGE
(but I also have Neo Geo CD, AES *AND* MVS down there as well so maybe
it's overkill

The Space Boss

Sep 22, 2005, 12:07:49 AM9/22/05
> The 2600 goes on a 25" Sanyo and the Jag goes on a 45" Mitsubishi.

I had high hopes for the Atari Jag. I mean I totally dumped my SNES in
order to buy one.

Wizard of Wor

Sep 22, 2005, 12:16:29 AM9/22/05
Me, too, considering the last game system I bought before my Jag in
1995 was a Colecovision back in 1982...although I still like playing
the ol' Jag (just yesterday I was messing about with Hover Strike and
Worms). I think a game like Tempest 2000 really shows off the system,
people like Raiden, and back in the day Alien vs. Predator was pretty
neat and it still elicits a generally positive reaction in this climate
of Half-Life 2 et al. Attack of the Mutant Penguins, Brutal Sports
Football, and Primal Rage get a lot of play, too.

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 22, 2005, 12:15:51 PM9/22/05

I'll go on record: The Atari Jaguar is by far, the worst mass marketed
game system of the last 25 years. Take away Tempest 2000 and maybe 1 or
2 other games, and you've got a few (and I mean a few) 'OK' titles
(mostly ports) and a lot of just unplayable garbage.

Brian Sturk

Sep 23, 2005, 5:13:12 PM9/23/05

I'd have to agree with this. I have a 1702 and things are much easier to watch
on a smaller screen. For when I want to sit on the floor I hook up to a small
TV. Playing Geometry Wars on the big screen means a lot of darting eyes. :)

I tried playing Galaga on the new 25" reunion cabinets and had a real tough
time. Too much screen real estate.

~telengard

--
.--------------------------------------------------,--------.
|-------------------------. bsturk<AT>adelphia.net | Python |( _ _)/ /-."~
| http://www.telengard.com `------------------------`-------| `( )_ )/
| Telengard Technologies Inc. - NT/*nix UI & device drivers |_<_s_<_s
`-----------------------------------------------------------'

rob_o...@hotmail.com

Sep 23, 2005, 6:01:54 PM9/23/05
I think the Virtual Boy equals, if not exceeds the Jag in crappiness.
If you look at how the actual power of the game system was used both
the Jag are the Vboy have one or two examples that really show what the
system can do (T2k and Red Alarm) and the rest are just half-assed
games and gimmicks.

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 23, 2005, 6:12:21 PM9/23/05

Not sure if the Virtual Boy really counts since it's not a traditional
console. Not exactly sure what it was actually, definitely not
portable. The VB was basically a gimmick. The gimmick was 'kinda neat'
i mean, the games really were in 3D and the HMD (that wasn't HM) did
draw you in, but then after 15 minutes you'd get a headache and
everything looked kinda red. So who knows.

But in direct comparison, that's a toughy. A headache and a copy of Red
Alert (or whatever) and Wario (Whatever) or a Jag and a copy of Trevor
McFur (or whatever) and Club Drive? I think either way, you lose. In
all personal honesty, i'm more likely to reach for the VB, at least its
somewhat unique in addition to being lame. The jag is just kinda, well
lame.

But as for straight up consoles, definitely.. the Jag: worst game
system since 1980, possibly ever. And I like Atari, we all wanted the
Jag to return them to their proper place atop the console market, but
everyone knew the Jag was a dog before it even launched, and it was.

crymad

Sep 23, 2005, 10:31:00 PM9/23/05

Brian Sturk wrote:
> Playing Geometry Wars on the big screen means a lot of darting
> eyes.

I just learned of this secret game in PGR2 for Xbox. Is there any
way to play it without having PGR2? Perhaps an isolated
stand-alone game that someone extracted and put online?

--crymad

Aaron J. Bossig

Sep 23, 2005, 11:06:52 PM9/23/05
rob_o...@hotmail.com wrote in news:1127510530.349350.58190
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Mario Clash, dude, Mario Clash.

--

Aaron "Seeing Red... and loving it." Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

Robert J Batina

Sep 25, 2005, 12:16:36 AM9/25/05

The Space Boss <drsmi...@aol.com> spewed:

> You've all seen pictures of my basement, right?

URL pls, kthnx.

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

The Space Boss

Sep 25, 2005, 12:29:09 AM9/25/05

Robert J Batina wrote:
> The Space Boss <drsmi...@aol.com> spewed:
> > You've all seen pictures of my basement, right?
>
> URL pls, kthnx.

I had to take them off my FTP space so that I could post my audio
files. Incidentally, you can hear the songs at

www.angelfire.com/ca2/lcsboots

I will, however take some new pictures and post them when I can figure
out how to get some more space.

Brian Sturk

Sep 26, 2005, 11:24:57 AM9/26/05

I wish there was. I would ***love*** to put this in my MAME cab. Haven't
found a way yet. There is another version that will be in the next
version of Project Gotham racing. Funny thing is, I bought PRR2 just for
Geometry Wars and have yet to (and probably won't) play it.

Message has been deleted

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 26, 2005, 7:50:54 PM9/26/05
> All depends on the person. I can play the VB for hours on end with no
> problems. The VB may have a small library of games but I find almost
> everyone of them fun, without a doubt it's one of my top favorite game
> systems. I guess I'd classify it as a self contained console...I feel
> it's the Vectrex of the 90's and in 10 to 15 more years it'll be worth
> megabucks. I bought mine when they were on clearance along with most
> of the games made for it. Bet I have under $80 bucks invested in that
> system including all the games. Probably should have bought a few
> case lots of VB's as an investment. : )

I don't think i'd go that far, but its got a certain gimmicky appeal.
The dozen or so games for the Virtual Boy were mostly pretty good
actually. They made good use of the 3D and scaling effects and were
pretty fun. The only dog I remember was 'Waterworld'. I think the
crashing prices also made me look on it better. I paid something like
$60 for it new, and it later fell to $24.99 or less, new. I picked up
almost the entire library at a Blockbuster Games for about $1 a piece,
so like you for under $80 I had pretty much the entire system. I think
the most money I spent on it other than the system, was $15 on the AC
adaptor. As for its future, that remains to be seen. Some of the more
rare games demand a premium, but most of them seem to be pretty cheap.
Plus a lot of people picked up multiple units when they hit $20 and are
sitting on them. I do like it, but I can definitely see why it failed.

> As far as worst system since 1980, my vote would have to go to the
> 7800. The system, the sound, the controllers and 99.9% of all the
> games sucked. Plus it destroyed Atari's reputation so bad it doomed
> everything else that followed it. The Lynx should have completely
> taken over the market, hell it's 16 years old and I feel some of the
> better games couldn't be pulled off today on a GBA

The 7800 would probably come in second on my 'worst' list, but I can
see your point. The only reason I nudge the 7800 over the Jag, is the
7800 was -okay- when it was first released. It had some good arcade
conversions (which was paramount at the time) and some solid computer
ports like Larry Bird v/Dr. J, Ballblazer, etc. There were also some
somewhat fun original games for it, but not a whole lot to write home
about. I can't knock it too much for having mostly ports because that
was common in those days. Even the NES launched with a lot of ports and
a so-so original library. But after the NES came out and started
chugging out the classics, it was obvious the 7800 couldn't compete
even with its superior graphics capabilities (mostly left untapped). I
still dont know what they were thinking when they decided to use the
2600 sound chip.

In the end I think Atari unfortunetly, got what it deserved. In its
long console run the only real success it had was the 2600. The 5200
never got out of the 2600s shadow, the 7800 was KO'd by the NES and I
guess the SMS to an extent, the Lynx although excellent suffered from
size and battery limitations and ultimately a lack of 3rd party
support. The Jag was DOA, and like the 7800 had a lot of potential that
was left untapped. I still can't believe they launched the Jag with the
likes of Trevor McFur. Every system has some questionable launch
titles, but man, the Jag had some stuff that made homebrew shareware
games look good.

Aaron J. Bossig

Sep 26, 2005, 10:13:14 PM9/26/05
Turbo-Torch <vair...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> As far as worst system since 1980, my vote would have to go to the
> 7800. The system, the sound, the controllers and 99.9% of all the
> games sucked. Plus it destroyed Atari's reputation so bad it doomed
> everything else that followed it. The Lynx should have completely
> taken over the market, hell it's 16 years old and I feel some of the

> better games couldn't be pulled off today on a GBA. By the time the
> Jag rolled out there was no hope. Yeah there was more to Atari's
> death than the 7800 but I feel it played a major role.

It's a tough call... what truly was the worst post-1980 system?
I'm going to give my vote to the N-Gage. Terrible design, awful
marketing, mediocre games, and to top it all off, mostly unneeded.
It entered the market to try and provide an alternative to Nintendo's
portable systems, but really all it did was clone a GBA and then
make it worse.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 26, 2005, 11:26:05 PM9/26/05
> It's a tough call... what truly was the worst post-1980 system?
> I'm going to give my vote to the N-Gage. Terrible design, awful
> marketing, mediocre games, and to top it all off, mostly unneeded.
> It entered the market to try and provide an alternative to Nintendo's
> portable systems, but really all it did was clone a GBA and then
> make it worse.

I don't consider the n-gage to be a mass marketed game system. It's an
attempt and some silly phone/game hybrid. If you open it up to that
sort of thing, there are tons of 'mini-systems' and other such dreck
that makes the 7800 and Jag look amazing by comparison. The Tiger
R-Zone for instance, a 'psuedo' system that used "LCD cartridges" was
absolute junk.. but you could stretch and say it was a system since it
had most of the core elements even if it was non-traditional.

Aaron J. Bossig

Sep 26, 2005, 11:34:49 PM9/26/05
"Jack (www.villagebbs.com)" <lup...@planetjurai.com> wrote in

It's a hard distinction to make... I'd also considered nominating the
Sega 32X or CD-i, but those systems I at least found mildly interesting.
But if we allow the likes of N-Gage in, surely the Game.com gets a mention
too.

VastFear

Sep 26, 2005, 11:38:39 PM9/26/05
Hey now! Don't be dissin' the Virtual Boy... personally think it's awesome
and its interesting to see how it bombed and everyone hated it yet look on
eBay... They are doing rather now everyone wants it!

I wish someone would come out a full color 3D system... I think console
systems should concentrate on the next level of 'virtual reality' that
worring about being a PC alternative.

Consoles should be all about gaming not becoming an online TV PC.

<rob_o...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 27, 2005, 12:03:31 AM9/27/05
> It's a hard distinction to make... I'd also considered nominating the
> Sega 32X or CD-i, but those systems I at least found mildly interesting.
> But if we allow the likes of N-Gage in, surely the Game.com gets a mention
> too.

The 32x was a bit of a loss, but it had some merit. I remember the 32x
vs. the Jaguar was the big debate of that one christmas. Kind of a sad
proposition either way. However, I still take the 32x anyday. The games
were more polished and were quality. I mean, compare say Fight for Life
to Virtual Fighter. The 32x version may have been low rent, but damn,
it was better than fight for life. Etc. Etc.

The CD-i tried to be too many things, but once again I give it props
for having the best versions of all the Laserdisc games at the time,
especially with the MPEG-1 cart. Actually, it was the first system to
run a 'true' FMV version of Dragon's Lair, the other CD versions at the
time only animated the moving bits over a static background. I guess
due to size limitations. The CD-i also boasts the only home version of
some rare LD games like Freedom Fighter. But all that would depend on
if you like LD games. I do, but many people don't. But even then, the
CD-i had some OK funutainment, could play VCDs and had at least a few
somewhat entertaining games, like Burn: Cycle.

Finally the game.com, Tiger finally steps up with a 'real' system.
Unfortuneately when your machine chugs when trying to play the opening
animation, you know you've got problems. Touch screen never really went
anywhere, nice resolution compared to the GB, and the 2nd version had a
nice backlight.. but most of the games were sluggish and iffy. Played
an OK version of Monopoly or Frogger, and most of the 'Williams
Classics' played OK. Had a lot of impobable ports, like Resident Evil
2, but at least they tried, only question was -- should they have?

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 27, 2005, 12:10:19 AM9/27/05
> I wish someone would come out a full color 3D system... I think console
> systems should concentrate on the next level of 'virtual reality' that
> worring about being a PC alternative.

The Sega Master System was a 'full color 3-d' system back in '88, and
it worked quite well. Used the exact same shutter system they still use
today in many 3-D applications, such as those 3-D DVD sets.

Too bad it never really caught on, it did work well. We maybe in for a
return to 3D with people like James Cameron and George Lucas looking to
bring it back to theatres. Imax 3-D has been around for a few years and
looks absolutely fantastic. Problem is, you need a proper system.. the
'red/blue' glasses just don't cut it.

Aaron J. Bossig

Sep 27, 2005, 6:05:15 PM9/27/05

>> It's a hard distinction to make... I'd also considered nominating the
>> Sega 32X or CD-i, but those systems I at least found mildly
>> interesting. But if we allow the likes of N-Gage in, surely the
>> Game.com gets a mention too.
>
> The 32x was a bit of a loss, but it had some merit. I remember the 32x
> vs. the Jaguar was the big debate of that one christmas. Kind of a sad
> proposition either way. However, I still take the 32x anyday. The
> games were more polished and were quality. I mean, compare say Fight
> for Life to Virtual Fighter. The 32x version may have been low rent,
> but damn, it was better than fight for life. Etc. Etc.

Interesting... what about SegaCD vs. 3DO? That's another quagmire.

Aaron J. Bossig

Sep 27, 2005, 6:09:37 PM9/27/05
"VastFear" <vast...@csinet.net> wrote in

> I wish someone would come out a full color 3D system... I think
> console systems should concentrate on the next level of 'virtual
> reality' that worring about being a PC alternative.

I think the ship has sailed on this whole VR thing. The idea was
polished long before the technology existed to make it work, and by
the time the technology was here, some great things were happening
with our non-VR consoles. Consoles work because they use existing
equipment (ie, TVs) or provide inexpensive displays (ie, Gameboy)
to make gaming cheap and plentiful. I highly doubt you'll see VR
displays becoming practical for these things, not until the gaming
public rejects TV displays en masse.

--

Aaron "Livin' in the Red Zone" Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 27, 2005, 7:13:48 PM9/27/05
> Interesting... what about SegaCD vs. 3DO? That's another quagmire.

I think the SegaCD gets a bad rap. It stands as the most (and really
only) successful add-on in console history. People tend to dismiss it
as a blunder, but it did well enough to rack up a library in the triple
digits plus it remained in production for a number of years and even
got a re-design or two. If its library had a flaw, its the abundance of
FMV games, but you have to remember FMV games were a huge fad back then
and sold well for a time. Also, looking back 'Sewer Shark' and 'Night
Trap' were fairly lame, but at the time we were all amazed by the
grainy video. Otherwise think of any major genre and the SegaCD has it
covered with solid titles. From RPGs, to Fighting Games, Racers, etc.
The SegaCD library is pretty solid if you disregard the fluff and every
system has fluff.

The 3DO on the other hand is a tough one. It was the most impressive of
those 'tweener' systems, but it was silly expensive on the front side.
The Library was a mesh of mostly mediocre although it did play a solid
game of Star Control II. Like the CD-i they made the mistake of trying
to be more than a game console so you also got silly stuff like
edutainment and fmv soccer tutorials. Mostly though it was a lot of
untapped potential and near-misses. For example I remember 'Way of the
Warrior' presentation wise it was amazing, great graphics, great music,
looked awesome. Could have been a system showpiece, too bad it played
like crap especially with the stock 3DO controller (which deserves a
spot along most of the Atari sticks in the controller hall of shame.)
If nothing else the 3DO and CD-i taught everyone valuable lessons. I
remember reading a story about how (I don't recall which company) but
one of the edutainment people showed up at SCEA before the PSX launch.
They escorted him out of the building immediately in fears somebody
would spot him there. They wanted the PSX to be only about games. Smart
move.

Anyway, overall.. I'm voting SegaCD.

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 27, 2005, 7:15:27 PM9/27/05
> I think the ship has sailed on this whole VR thing. The idea was
> polished long before the technology existed to make it work, and by
> the time the technology was here, some great things were happening
> with our non-VR consoles

We may yet see a return of VR, but for that to happen the HMDs (or
something that achieves the same) needs to be sharper, cheaper and more
comfortable than the units we've seen so far. We're probably still a
ways away from that.

Message has been deleted

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Sep 27, 2005, 8:45:36 PM9/27/05
> I wonder what would have happened if systems like the Jag or Dreamcast
> were released with a dirt cheap price tag right from the beginning?
> Offer this power house system for $49.99 and then make all your money
> off the game sales. It works for all the inkjet printer manufacturers
> who practically give away a high tech printer only to make all their
> money in ink sales.

Generally speaking hardware manufacturers already take huge losses off
initial console sales. For example I believe the XBOX cost Microsoft at
least $100 more per unit to make when it was initially released than
they sold it for. They already discount them as much as they possibly
can, well under cost with the hopes that they'll make it back on
software sales.

VastFear

Oct 4, 2005, 11:43:38 PM10/4/05
I was thinking about getting the VirtualFX setup so I can watch the 80s
horror movies I own in true 3D form like they were at theater.

Only bad thing they won't work on my big screen but I was planning on buying
a 36" tv for my gaming area.

Would be fun to tinker around with....

Have you had a chance to test these on video game systems?

Erik

"Jack (www.villagebbs.com)" <lup...@planetjurai.com> wrote in message

The Space Boss

Oct 4, 2005, 11:56:28 PM10/4/05

VastFear wrote:
> I was thinking about getting the VirtualFX setup so I can watch the 80s
> horror movies I own in true 3D form like they were at theater.
>
> Only bad thing they won't work on my big screen but I was planning on buying
> a 36" tv for my gaming area.
>
> Would be fun to tinker around with....
>
> Have you had a chance to test these on video game systems?

Well, currently I have my tricked out intellivision setup (with the
voice, keyboard, etc) set up on a table and I'm only using a 13 inch
color screen. It's working out surprisingly well, and I like it a
lot!!!!!

Jack (www.villagebbs.com)

Oct 5, 2005, 1:11:11 AM10/5/05
> I was thinking about getting the VirtualFX setup so I can watch the 80s
> horror movies I own in true 3D form like they were at theater.
>
> Only bad thing they won't work on my big screen but I was planning on buying
> a 36" tv for my gaming area.
>
> Would be fun to tinker around with....
>
> Have you had a chance to test these on video game systems?
>
> Erik

I have the 'Ultimate 3-D Collection' (http://tinyurl.com/b945h) which
appears to be almost identical technology wise to the VirtualFX. They
both use the exact same shutter glasses. Only difference is the
VirtualFX supposedly '3Ds' 2d content wheras the DVD 3D system only
works with specific 3D DVDs.

I also see that VirtualFX supposedly only works with CRT, that's
strange.. I have a 61inch Hitachi RPTV and the shutter setup from the
DVD set works fine, but the 3D does work better on a CRT. The only
problem I had was at first I tried to hook up the system to my PS2 (as
a DVD player) since the '3D Box' requires a video pass through, etc.
and it was easier to just use the PS2 than it was to rig it into my
existing DVD/HT setup. However, the 3D effect was totally lost on the
PS2 for whatever reason, but worked on my other DVD players.

Anyway, these 3D systems use shutter glasses synched with the video
source which is the exact same setup that the Sega Master System used
all those years back. The technology is so dead on similiar I was able
to plug in my SMS 3D glasses into the 3D unit that came with the DVDs
and it worked flawlessly. I'd imagine the reverse it true as well.

As for this 'VirtualFX' from what I read it tries to make normal 2D
into 3D. This has always been tricky and I'm not sure how well this has
ever worked. I know there was a 3D system for the PC a few years back
and it was generally panned. Getting a good 3D effect seems to be
dependent on having media specifically designed for 3D as well. The 3D
DVDs for example work really well and have a quite striking 3D effect.
I'm not sure how trying to 3D up say, Super Mario Bros. would work, if
at all.. but who knows. Might be cool.

Chuck Whitby

Oct 5, 2005, 1:18:37 AM10/5/05
At PhillyClassic a few years back one of the 3D Glasses companies were
there pimping their wares. They had a PC hooked up with GTA:Vice City
using the glasses. Now, I'm not much a a GTA guy, but the 3D effect
certainly did work well with the glassess. I dunno how it would work with
DVDs, but the techonology was similar. Glasses hooked up with a
passthrough on the video card to monitor (vid card>glasses>monitor). Was
cool, but too pricey for my poor ass. 8*)

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder