Atari landfill

John Gorenfeld

Jul 23, 2002, 5:08:49 PM7/23/02
I was wondering whether anyone out there is planning a 20th
anniversary trip to the site of the Atari 2600 burial grounds in New
Mexico. Anyone have any excavation plans?

John

Impmon

Jul 23, 2002, 5:42:29 PM7/23/02
On 23 Jul 2002 14:08:49 -0700, go...@ocf.berkeley.edu (John Gorenfeld)
typed:

>I was wondering whether anyone out there is planning a 20th
>anniversary trip to the site of the Atari 2600 burial grounds in New
>Mexico. Anyone have any excavation plans?

Lots of dynamite would be needed. The word is that the carts were
buried under concrete. It's also possible each carts were destroyed one
way or another such as drilling a hole right through the rom chip.

I'd like to go just for a chance of getting a nice looking sculpture
made from a few ET cards in cement. But I'm in MI and that landfill is
2 days drive away. So unless someone donated me at least $500 to cover
food and gas for the trip (both way) it just won't be practical.
--
All viruses and spams are automatically removed by my ISP before
reaching my inbox. To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net

Mike Beauchamp

Jul 23, 2002, 6:14:27 PM7/23/02
How Can I donate?!?!? I'll gladly pay $500 for your trip to New Mexico! :)

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

"Impmon" <Imp...@digi.mon> wrote in message

Mike Gedeon

Jul 23, 2002, 9:24:10 PM7/23/02
Hey I could use a Vacation. Hawaii sounds nicer though. Any donations for me
? Im sure I could find a package @ 500.00. Mike : )

Come check us out !!!
http://www.videogameconnection.com/
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/vgc/
ATARI 2600 to X-BOX !!!
I Collect /I\ & NES

rwi...@attglobal.net

Jul 23, 2002, 9:33:19 PM7/23/02
No, see, you don't understand. There's a reason (with capital letters)
that over 1000 ET carts were buried there. You don't want to go there -
stay away.

Alex

Geoff Voigt

Jul 23, 2002, 10:49:06 PM7/23/02
rwi...@attglobal.net wrote:

Not only that, but it's my understanding that the infamous site itself is now
home to a K-mart and its' Parking Lot. (I have an Aunt and Uncle who lived in
Alamaguardo when it happened. I picked thier brains a while back)

Geoff "Blue light special" Voigt

Geoff Voigt:gvo...@pacman.ridgecrest.ca.us
Yet another Peniless Artist(TM) also interested in
80's music-Classic Video Games-Anime-Techno Music-Coffee-US History
Maintainer and keeper of the rec.games.video.classic FAQ
Delete the classic game character to reply

MickeyKnox667

Jul 23, 2002, 10:55:01 PM7/23/02

>Not only that, but it's my understanding that the infamous site itself is now
>home to a K-mart and its' Parking Lot. (I have an Aunt and Uncle who lived in
>Alamaguardo when it happened. I picked thier brains a while back)

I thought all the K-marts are on their way out anyway....

Oz Scott

Jul 23, 2002, 11:03:03 PM7/23/02
I'm not sure but I think this has all the making of a homebrewed 2600
game..... "Search for E.T."

I dont have the skills to do it, but it would be a fun twist on the homebrew
scene....

"John Gorenfeld" <go...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote in message

rwi...@attglobal.net

Jul 23, 2002, 11:46:15 PM7/23/02

Oz Scott wrote:

> I'm not sure but I think this has all the making of a homebrewed 2600
> game..... "Search for E.T."

I see nobody gets the point: Any game with the name "ET" for the Atari 2600 is
evil and bad, and deserves to be burned/buried like the rest of 'em. Otherwise,
is sounds like an interesting idea. ; )

Alex

Michael Smeal

Jul 24, 2002, 12:09:19 AM7/24/02
Is that true??? What else i buried out there?

Jerry Jessop

Jul 24, 2002, 12:30:29 AM7/24/02

I'll give you two better places to look for buried Atari stuff. There
is a huge landfill "mountain" at the foot of Borregas Ave in Sunnyvale
that is FULL of Atari stuff. In many cases truckloads of completed
consoles (Pong, Video Pinball, VCS's) were tossed out of trucks into
the paths of bulldozers.

The former VCS final assembly building at 1172 Borregas (next to the
1195 PCB assembly building) has thousands (maybe hundreds of
thousands) of obsolete ROMS buried in the concrete slab from it's 1976
construction.

I love New Mexico, but for ancient Atari stuff don't waste your time!

Jerry

On 23 Jul 2002 14:08:49 -0700, go...@ocf.berkeley.edu (John Gorenfeld)

Teenage Dirtbag

Jul 24, 2002, 12:46:54 AM7/24/02
On 24 Jul 2002 01:24:10 GMT, mgede...@aol.comSPAMENOT ( Mike Gedeon
) wrote:

>Hey I could use a Vacation. Hawaii sounds nicer though. Any donations for me
>? Im sure I could find a package @ 500.00. Mike : )

Do you accept out of country cheques?
Then again... with the prices of postage stamps these days... hmmm

Teenage Dirtbag

Jul 24, 2002, 12:51:05 AM7/24/02
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 04:09:19 GMT, Michael Smeal <Msm...@paonline.com>
wrote:

>Is that true??? What else i buried out there?

William Shatners first toupee.

...and now, a moment of silence

Ben Collins

Jul 24, 2002, 2:32:56 AM7/24/02
I have always wanted to do this and unless the concrete is reinforced a
petrol powerd jack hammer would do the trick as for the carts all being
useless id bet everyone here would want an ET friom the landfill.
If i ever win the lotto i will be flying out from australia to dig this
stuff up.
-ben-

Impmon

Jul 24, 2002, 4:59:30 AM7/24/02
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 04:51:05 GMT, Teenage Dirtbag <dSoP...@shaw.ca>
typed:

>>Is that true??? What else i buried out there?

>William Shatners first toupee.

Just recently buried there: millions of stock \certificate from Enron
and Worldcom...

and a huge number of unsold playboy magazines with Linda Tripp in the
centerfold.

Impmon

Jul 24, 2002, 5:02:00 AM7/24/02
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:46:15 -0400, rwi...@attglobal.net typed:

Actually... you could hack the ET rom to be like Search the ET carts.
Those pits would still be there (you never know if there's any hidden
pits at landfills) but once you pick up a few pieces of the ET carts and
call back on cell phone for your friend to come and pick you up.

Finding ET carts would still be a sucky game but I'm sure anyone would
like to try it.

Michael Smeal

Jul 24, 2002, 5:12:57 PM7/24/02
Looks like ET has came back to GBA..Read this..Wonder if it's better?

http://www.kidsdomain.com/review/consolekids/reviews/et_gba.html

John Gorenfeld

Jul 24, 2002, 5:26:53 PM7/24/02
Thanks -- interesting stuff. I'm on a quest to find the
concrete-covered location of the 5 million E.T. cartridges in New
Mexico -- indeed, to find the Walmart parking lot if that's the place.

So if anyone knows anything about this, or about any former Atari
employees who would know more, I'd really like to hear from you.

jo...@flakmag.com

Thanks.

Impmon

Jul 24, 2002, 6:42:30 PM7/24/02
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:12:57 GMT, Michael Smeal <Msm...@paonline.com>
typed:

>Looks like ET has came back to GBA..Read this..Wonder if it's better?
>
>http://www.kidsdomain.com/review/consolekids/reviews/et_gba.html

I've played that when it first came out. It's basically the same as
original ET with better graphics and sound and a little more things to
do. I found a review from Google (sorry about the long link you may
need to copy & past in parts)
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&frame=right&th=646fba724ce6de18&seekm=qi7o0us6rsdeiv0i1k447ibmqh2f8f39qn%404ax.com#link2>

----- Quoted from Google -----

On 01 Dec 2001 00:57:05 GMT, fen...@xxx.com (Fenop3) smashed the
keyboard with a hammer and typed:

>Has anyone seen any screen shots or reviews/previews of this anywhere?
>
>thanks

Yep, on my computer when I ran the emulator. But it's not exactly
winning me over. Basically ET got left behind on Earth. He must get
Elliet's help and gather up the parts to build a transmitter, collect
Resses pieces to restore health, call the mothership back, and then
meet with the mothership in the landing spot, all while avoiding
captures from the scientists and FBI agents.

The only bright point to this game is unlike the original Atari 2600
version, you won't get stuck in pits. There are some pits in GBA
version but they only trip you.

Seemed too short and easy on the Normal setting. maybe I'd have
better luck with Hard setting.

rwi...@attglobal.net

Jul 24, 2002, 7:44:37 PM7/24/02

Impmon wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 04:51:05 GMT, Teenage Dirtbag <dSoP...@shaw.ca>
> typed:
>
> >>Is that true??? What else i buried out there?
>
> >William Shatners first toupee.
>
> Just recently buried there: millions of stock \certificate from Enron
> and Worldcom...
>
> and a huge number of unsold playboy magazines with Linda Tripp in the
> centerfold.

HA! Thats pretty funny...

rwi...@attglobal.net

Jul 24, 2002, 7:48:02 PM7/24/02
OH GOD! A Sequel! It's our worst fears come to life! Kill it, burn it, bury it! How could they do it all over again? This just sickens me. ; )

Alex

rwi...@attglobal.net

Jul 24, 2002, 7:49:46 PM7/24/02
You can't be serious. They buried it for a reason!

Alex

Michael Smeal

Jul 24, 2002, 9:26:05 PM7/24/02
Thanks, I found it on another website with screen pictures, I have to play it again and see what happens thoses  scientists and FBI agents are nasty! How many parts are there?
Thanks,
mike

Impmon

Jul 25, 2002, 5:36:47 AM7/25/02
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 01:26:05 GMT, Michael Smeal <Msm...@paonline.com>
typed:

>Thanks, I found it on another website with screen pictures,

>I have to play it again and see what happens thoses
>scientists and FBI agents are nasty! How
>many parts are there?

Ummm... 10 I think. I quit playing that game barely a week after it
came out. It just sucked bad. I should point out the last stage
appears to be a blatant ripoff of an old game called Jupiter Lander.

Michael Smeal

Jul 25, 2002, 10:55:14 AM7/25/02
Thanks, I thought it would say ET phone home somewhere in the game.

Piddley

Jul 27, 2002, 12:35:34 AM7/27/02
ET never made it to the mother ship. Spielberg lied to you. The Feds got him
before he got to the mother ship. They did experiments on him and then buried
him in the landfill with all of the ET cartridges.

Oldergames

Jul 27, 2002, 5:08:40 PM7/27/02

Poor ET. As bad as the game was, that was still
a bit harsh to do to the poor fella'.

--

Regards,

R.W. Bivins | Creative Director
http://www.OlderGames.com/

SS

Jul 27, 2002, 6:48:16 PM7/27/02

"Oldergames" <older...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Poor ET. As bad as the game was, that was still
> a bit harsh to do to the poor fella'.

I've always looked at it as the carts fell down into a pit that they
couldn't get out of.

Itm0001

Jul 28, 2002, 11:48:49 PM7/28/02
Yeah, and they helped pull the whole Atari 2600 down the pit with them....

Ivan