ROM for Rubik's Cube 3D for 2600 now RELEASED !

David_Winter

Nov 26, 2004, 12:27:50 PM11/26/04
Hi eveyrbody,

I guess quite many collectors are aware of this unique unreleased game,
which I still sell as a very nice numbered cartridge (250 copies only),
boxed with manual.

While I never wanted to release the binary of this game for obvious reasons,
the Digital Press scums thought they would win their "game" by releasing the
ROM without my autorisation. To show how much I care about their anal
attitude I thought I could "agree" (oh well... !) with them and officially
release the binary so that everybody can enjoy the game (and eventually
purchase a cartridge from me).

I am also reducing the price of this game, which is now $40 + shipping or 30
euros + shipping.

You will find the binary at Atari Age and ClassicGaming.
Atari Age should update their page with the new price.

David Winter
http://www.pong-story.com

Rob Mitchell

Nov 26, 2004, 11:13:01 PM11/26/04
Thanks David for the release of the game!!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Chuck Whitby

Nov 27, 2004, 1:13:02 AM11/27/04
"David_Winter" <spam...@tralala.com> wrote in

Correct me if I'm wrong... but you don't OWN the rights to the original
ROM image, correct? You just own the original prototype cart/ROM. So
you are breaking the law in copying and reselling the ROM image which is
owned by Infogrames.

How about we all play nice now before we draw in unwanted attention?

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

David Winter

Nov 27, 2004, 3:27:11 AM11/27/04
Let me correct you as you're way out of the line.
I have an official license agreement with Seven Towns Ltd. to sell a small
number of R3D cartridges, so kindly stop taking yourself as a lawyer,
open your eyes and try to study things before giving mistaken thoughts.

Kev

Nov 27, 2004, 4:02:08 AM11/27/04
"David Winter" <d_wi...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Let me correct you as you're way out of the line.
> I have an official license agreement with Seven Towns Ltd. to sell a
> small number of R3D cartridges, so kindly stop taking yourself as a
> lawyer, open your eyes and try to study things before giving mistaken
> thoughts.

Uhh, he said the *ROM image*, not the license to sell it due to the Rubik
content. AFAIK Atari would still owns the rights to the ROM image in
question. Anyways, who cares if the ROM was released? It was gonna happen
sooner or later; I'm surprised it took this long.

stonic

Nov 27, 2004, 10:34:59 AM11/27/04
Kev <n...@spamplz.kthx> wrote in message news:<Xns95AE2A88B1D...@65.24.7.50>...

Didn't Infograms tell Atari Age to stop selling carts, b/c they didn't
have the right to? If so, I'd be willing to bet you don't have any
more "autorisation" to sell the rom than they did.

David_Winter

Nov 27, 2004, 11:55:30 AM11/27/04
>>> Let me correct you as you're way out of the line.
>>> I have an official license agreement with Seven Towns Ltd. to sell a
>>> small number of R3D cartridges, so kindly stop taking yourself as a
>>> lawyer, open your eyes and try to study things before giving mistaken
>>> thoughts.

>> Uhh, he said the *ROM image*, not the license to sell it due to the Rubik
>> content. AFAIK Atari would still owns the rights to the ROM image in
>> question. Anyways, who cares if the ROM was released? It was gonna
>> happen
>> sooner or later; I'm surprised it took this long.

> Didn't Infograms tell Atari Age to stop selling carts, b/c they didn't
> have the right to? If so, I'd be willing to bet you don't have any
> more "autorisation" to sell the rom than they did.

They just "told", they didn't come with blatent proofs that forbid them
to sell cartridges. As for R3D let them first find the source code and
original copyright deposits to proove they own the software, and then
we'll talk about it.

David Winter

Chuck Whitby

Nov 27, 2004, 4:44:41 PM11/27/04
"David_Winter" <spam...@tralala.com> wrote in

Show me the copyright deposits that show you own the original code and
are allowed to reproduce it.

stonic

Nov 27, 2004, 9:18:00 PM11/27/04

> Show me the copyright deposits that show you own the original code and
> are allowed to reproduce it.

Exactly. And I'm even more sure that he isn't the programmer ;)

Mr. Maddog

Nov 27, 2004, 9:48:38 PM11/27/04
And people wonder why I stopped collecting Atari carts...

Android

Nov 28, 2004, 2:49:51 AM11/28/04

"Chuck Whitby" <intv...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> ___
> Chuck Whitby - Founder
> }> - - - East Coast Gaming Expo - - - <{
> http://www.ecgx.com
> "It's the games"

Agreed. Let's face it--a lot of people in this hobby are using intellectual
property which they have no rights to in various ways (reproducing
cartridges, distributing ROMs, creating jewelry and T-shirts, etc.) The
only reason it continues is because the amount of money made is too
inconsequential for the copyright holder to bother with legal action. For
one infringer to complain about another infringer in a public forum is
ridiculous.

VastFear

Nov 28, 2004, 7:27:47 PM11/28/04
Isn't there a loophole in the law if the 'media' in question be it
movies/music/games.... if it was never commercially available in the USA its
legal to sell copies?

I know its true with movies. Thats why you see a lot of bootleg imported
horror movies on eBay. You can't buy a lot of those classic gems in America.
If companies cared so much about legalities then THEY should make the movies
available for sale.

I don't understand why people worry about it so much. Same is I don't
understand why people who 'support' the scene charge $100's for multicarts
and $20-$30 for new carts (I can see if its packaged in a box complete) but
they don't cost 'that' much to produce especially multicarts...

Erik

benstylus

Nov 28, 2004, 8:15:52 PM11/28/04
VastFear wrote:

> Isn't there a loophole in the law if the 'media' in question be it
> movies/music/games.... if it was never commercially available in the USA its
> legal to sell copies?

Nope, that loophole does not exist. If it's copyrighted in one country
that participates in the international copyright law, it's copyrighted
in all of them.

> I know its true with movies. Thats why you see a lot of bootleg imported
> horror movies on eBay. You can't buy a lot of those classic gems in America.
> If companies cared so much about legalities then THEY should make the movies
> available for sale.

No, you see bootleg horror movies for sale because eBay doesn't take the
time to shut down all the bootleg auctions down. You also see bootleg
anime on there all the time (more often than not it's stuff that is
commercially available in the US).

VastFear

Nov 28, 2004, 9:56:43 PM11/28/04
Well there is Midnight Video that specializes in obscure movies and they
been around for 20+ years and their movies are all professional copies.

Not sure where I heard the info about movies but you will even see it on
ebay stating its a DVD-R and its not available in USA. Its really the only
way you can get a lot of movies since DVD is so far behind.

Gaming scene I always want to own the original.

And music I always would rather have the original with artwork preferably on
vinyl.

But the pirate famicom 8-bit stuff is pretty cool...

Speaking of that where can I find the SP2 (Super Polystation 2)?

Looks just like PS2 box and all...

Erik

"benstylus" <blac...@juno.com> wrote in message

evg2000

Nov 28, 2004, 11:26:13 PM11/28/04
not a SP2, but looks the same. Scroll about half way down the page, or
search for Vcom
http://www.gbax.com/new/retro.html

later,
charles
"VastFear" <vast...@csinet.net> wrote in message

stonic

Nov 29, 2004, 12:40:53 AM11/29/04

> I don't understand why people worry about it so much. Same is I don't
> understand why people who 'support' the scene charge $100's for multicarts
> and $20-$30 for new carts (I can see if its packaged in a box complete)
but
> they don't cost 'that' much to produce especially multicarts...

I can understand asking that much for an unreleased game, since often the
programmer gets a percentage of the sales, and especially if the game has
the full 'treatment' (label, box, manual), but asking 1980s prices for
homebrews is a bit much. And $50 (excuse me, $40) for 3D Rubik's is way too
much, especially since it sounds as though the programmer is getting $0.
And judging from past posts of his, I don't think Winter paid very much for
this proto- neither he nor the seller even knew what it was.

David_Winter

Nov 29, 2004, 7:36:56 AM11/29/04
> I can understand asking that much for an unreleased game, since often the
> programmer gets a percentage of the sales, and especially if the game has
> the full 'treatment' (label, box, manual), but asking 1980s prices for
> homebrews is a bit much. And $50 (excuse me, $40) for 3D Rubik's is way
> too
> much, especially since it sounds as though the programmer is getting $0.
> And judging from past posts of his, I don't think Winter paid very much
> for
> this proto- neither he nor the seller even knew what it was.

It's amazing to see how people can have stupid thoughts sometimes.
Or they must be really pissed off seeing people owning what they will
never have in their "collections". That's the reason why I almost never
post in this forum.

If you take those ultra expensive multicarts for Vectrex or other consoles
what do you think the programers make on them ? And what do you
think the makers of those carts paid to get the binaries ? And do you
think it's worth paying as high as $100 for just a cart containing a single
EPROM chip when I sell my game just $40 with almost the same
hardware in it ? In my opinion the most irrelevant thing is to base the
price of a multicart on the number of games it contains. It looks like
you're
just trying to base your opinion on the price using irrelevant details. If
you don't want to pay $40 for my game that's your option, but avoid
telling irrelevant things.

Buy yourself a real prototype of an unreleased game, invest over $2500
in professionally printed boxes, cartridge cases, eproms, 7400 chips,
pcbs and such, and let's see what you'll ask to get your money back
when selling your cartridges.

No matter what I paid for this prototype, and yes I perfectly knew what
I had as I used to play the original game in my childhood. The reason why
I didn't talk about this proto earlier is that I had other things to do than
taking some time to announce it and try doing a release when I had no idea
of how to do it and did not want to deal with DP for some obvious reasons.
I just waited to have more time, but apparently that time pissed off some
stupid jerks who apparently don't really collect video games other than for
owning something to consider themselves as knowledgeable or important.

Finally, this 3D version of the game never was an official Atari project.
The author programmed it during his free time and just put a copyright
message in the code. That's just some text on a sceen, nothing official
nor deposited. I'd be happy to find copyright for the program of this
3D game. If there's no copyright, the game code is in public domain.

David Winter

stonic

Nov 29, 2004, 11:18:10 AM11/29/04

> It's amazing to see how people can have stupid thoughts sometimes.
> Or they must be really pissed off seeing people owning what they will
> never have in their "collections". That's the reason why I almost never
> post in this forum.

...unless you're trying to sell something.

> If you take those ultra expensive multicarts for Vectrex or other consoles
> what do you think the programers make on them ? And what do you
> think the makers of those carts paid to get the binaries ? And do you
> think it's worth paying as high as $100 for just a cart containing a
single
> EPROM chip when I sell my game just $40 with almost the same
> hardware in it ?

You've sold your game for $50 each for the last 2 years; you've only dropped
it to $40 in the past 2 days ;)

Besides, making multi-carts is a little more involved than just slapping a
single chip on an already-existing cart. For starters, it involves using a
256k (or larger) eprom, which initiates designing a new pcb. Then you have
to decide how you're going to select between different games- dip switches
or a menu (which requires programming).

> Buy yourself a real prototype of an unreleased game, invest over $2500
> in professionally printed boxes, cartridge cases, eproms, 7400 chips,
> pcbs and such, and let's see what you'll ask to get your money back
> when selling your cartridges.

Well, let's do the math:
7404 chips can be obtained from MCM Electronics, for example, for 0.67 each,
if you buy 10 or more.
New 4k Eproms can be found for around $5 or less (take a look for yourself -
www.findchip.com), or you can get used ones off Ebay for much cheaper, or
free from old parts boards. I'm sure I could find cheaper prices for both
ICs if I searched around.
Pixels Past (i.e. Joe Grand - http://www.pixelspast.com/homebrew/) sells new
4k pcbs for $3.50 each through Atari Age, or as little as $2 each if you
order 200 or more. Or you can reuse any 4k Atari cart, which you can get
for 0.50 each (or less).

You've stated in those other threads that 250 numbered carts were produced
(150 for the US; 100 for Europe). Carts went on sale in late April 2003,
with plans to auction off #000-010 on Ebay, but you apparently only
auctioned off 3 (all went for much more than $50, with the last one being
sold in Jan 2004). You've also stated one reason for the high price was you
were still paying off the cost of getting the proto (huh?). I think if you
paid over $1k (or even a few hundred) for it, you would have known exactly
what you were paying for, if you were smart. At the very least you wouldn't
have waited months or years (first you said you got the proto in 2002, but
then 2 days later said it was 2 years before that - 2000) before dumping it
to see what it was.

Not counting the 10 carts put aside for Ebaying, 240 carts at $50 each comes
to $12,000. I guess most of that is going to Seven Towns, though, right?

> No matter what I paid for this prototype, and yes I perfectly knew what
> I had as I used to play the original game in my childhood.

You've stated more than once that you had no idea the prototype you had was
the 3D version:

http://tinyurl.com/4qhf8 - original RGVC thread
www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18157 - Atari Age thread

I think when you realized what you had, you saw this as a golden opportunity
to make some quick money. I really like this statement:

"The thing is, I absolutely HATE those lame ebay resellers who abuse of
people's possessions, and enjoy reselling what they buy to make more money
on people's back. For this reason, I don't want to hear about any ebay
resale of this game. I paid to acquire this prototype, and therefore, don't
see why some people would give themselves the right to "short-circuit" me
and make the money I deserve."

Apparently it's also ok for you to Ebay these, but nobody else can. I've
seen several others sell their copies on Ebay, so if you really believe you
own the copyright to this game, why didn't you inform Ebay?

> The reason why
> I didn't talk about this proto earlier is that I had other things to do
than
> taking some time to announce it and try doing a release when I had no idea
> of how to do it and did not want to deal with DP for some obvious reasons.

Your original reason was that you didn't have an Eprom reader :|

I don't know what 'obvious reasons' for not dealing with DP, but I really
don't care to. I thought DP had the reputation of being 'rom hoarders'? I
guess the DP "scums" can do no right in some people's eyes :/ So, if it was
so wrong of DP to make the rom available, why did you qualify it by putting
up for d/l on 2 other sites a day later?? Is your 'official' release
version somehow different than DP's?

> I just waited to have more time, but apparently that time pissed off some
> stupid jerks who apparently don't really collect video games other than
for
> owning something to consider themselves as knowledgeable or important.

At $50 each, it sounds like you would need a lot more time than 2 years to
sell them all. So maybe you'll have better luck selling them at $40,
although that's still high. But if you do, I guess you can thank DP?

> Finally, this 3D version of the game never was an official Atari project.
> The author programmed it during his free time and just put a copyright
> message in the code. That's just some text on a sceen, nothing official
> nor deposited. I'd be happy to find copyright for the program of this
> 3D game. If there's no copyright, the game code is in public domain.

Officially assigned or not, unless the programmer had a dev system in his
house (and I highly doubt that), he programmed it at Atari, which means it
belonged TO Atari. And the copyright is easy to find - it's in the program.
To see it, simply run it and you'll see "(c) 1982 ATARI" right there on the
screen.

Bruce Tomlin

Nov 29, 2004, 3:35:52 PM11/29/04
In article <41ab17ec$0$29814$626a...@news.free.fr>,
"David_Winter" <spam...@tralala.com> wrote:

> If you take those ultra expensive multicarts for Vectrex or other consoles
> what do you think the programers make on them ? And what do you
> think the makers of those carts paid to get the binaries ?

Zero. Because the rights holders of the GCE Vectrex stuff EXPLICITLY
released the binaries into the public domain. The menu code, on the
other hand, isn't PD, and IIRC, each multicart maker wrote their own.

VastFear

Nov 29, 2004, 6:25:02 PM11/29/04
Nah I wasn't giving you grief about what you are doing I was defending you I
think in a way...

The multicarts have me miffed though I would like to own them but $100+ is
unrealistic

"David_Winter" <spam...@tralala.com> wrote in message

Raymond

Nov 30, 2004, 3:18:58 AM11/30/04
"David_Winter" <spam...@tralala.com> wrote:
> If there's no copyright, the game code is in public domain.

If the code is in public domain what is the problem with DP releasing the ROM then?

Sniderman

Nov 30, 2004, 8:46:56 AM11/30/04
yok...@hotmail.com (Raymond) wrote in message news:<62843829.04113...@posting.google.com>...

> "David_Winter" <spam...@tralala.com> wrote:
> > If there's no copyright, the game code is in public domain.
>
> If the code is in public domain what is the problem with DP releasing the ROM then?

(golf clap)

Well played. On the green in one.

stonic

Nov 30, 2004, 9:45:10 AM11/30/04

"Raymond" <yok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

If you've read through his previous posts about 3D Rubik's, you'd quickly
realize Winter is a study in contradiction ;)

ZG

Dec 3, 2004, 2:04:30 PM12/3/04
"VastFear" <vast...@csinet.net> wrote in message news:<KvKdnQV739l...@csinet.net>...

> Nah I wasn't giving you grief about what you are doing I was defending you I
> think in a way...
>
> The multicarts have me miffed though I would like to own them but $100+ is
> unrealistic

Where have you been? I've been selling 2600 muli's for $45 right
here. I had to take a little break, but I'm back.