Some guy gets a perfect score on Pac-Man...whoopty doo!

Shadowraven

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
From videogames.com:

>Twin Galaxies, keeper of video game scores and records, has announced that
a perfect score for the legendary Pac-Man >arcade game has been achieved.
With only one quarter, Billy Mitchell, 33, of Fort Lauderdale reached a
score of 3,333,360 >points - the maximum allowed by Pac-Man. This record
will be placed in next year's edition of the Twin Galaxies' Official >Video
Game & Pinball Book of World Records.

>"I had to be first," said Mitchell. "It's like Neil Armstrong walking on
the moon. No matter how many people accomplish the >feat afterwards, it will
always be Armstrong who will be remembered for doing it first. And, best of
all, it was an American."

>The six-hour spectacle was recorded on video by Funspot, an arcade family
fun center in Weirs Beach, NH. "I never have to >play that darn game again,"
Mitchell sighed in relief. "There's nothing more I can accomplish."

>Mitchell holds the world record on for Donkey Kong as well.

Whoopy frickin' doo! Am I supposed to be jealous of this guy for playing a
game for 20 years and just now got a perfect score? If I had played Pac-Man
for 20 years, I could be like funboy here too: A 33 year old man, who still
calls himself 'Billy' with no life who equates himself to Neil Armstrong.

>And, best of all, it was an American

I'm sure his name will be on the lips of all Americans who say their prayers
tonight. It sounds like this guy thinks he deserves a ticker tape parade.
In all honesty, I wouldn't have given this 'news' a second thought if this
guy didn't sound like he had done something worthy of mankind, 'cause he
didn't. He also says that there is nothing more he can accomplish....here's
a start: PLAY A GAME IN THE FRICKIN' 90S'. Thanks for the memories Billy
and rest assured that your wonderful records are in no danger of being
broken....

Craig

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
What side of the bed did YOU wake up on?
Wow.
I know it can't be equated to landing on the moon, but I know I'D be happy
and proud too...

Give him a break.

Shadowraven <ab...@aol.com> wrote in message

Cheerio

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99

Shadowraven wrote:

> From videogames.com:

> >"I had to be first," said Mitchell. "It's like Neil Armstrong walking on
> the moon. No matter how many people accomplish the >feat afterwards, it will
> always be Armstrong who will be remembered for doing it first. And, best of
> all, it was an American."

hehe.. yeah, lets see... Neil Armstrong and Mitchell.. yeah, i'm gonna really
remember this guy tomorrow..

> >The six-hour spectacle was recorded on video by Funspot, an arcade family
> fun center in Weirs Beach, NH. "I never have to >play that darn game again,"
> Mitchell sighed in relief. "There's nothing more I can accomplish."

Damn, I know that place too.. really gone downhill since the 80s when they added
in a whole bunch of crap but really reduced the number of quality games. The
pier was so much better and at least you could find a lot of stuff.. As for the
pac-man game, good thing they recorded it because they'll likely unplug the
machine without even thinking one day..

> >Mitchell holds the world record on for Donkey Kong as well.
>
> Whoopy frickin' doo! Am I supposed to be jealous of this guy for playing a
> game for 20 years and just now got a perfect score? If I had played Pac-Man
> for 20 years, I could be like funboy here too: A 33 year old man, who still
> calls himself 'Billy' with no life who equates himself to Neil Armstrong.

Fact of the matter is, I don't even think most 6 year olds know who Neil
Armstrong is either.. Yeah, and I guess after 20 years, most people likely gave
up. In 20 years from now, I'd be surprised if you can even find a Pac-Man
machine anymore...

John Hartridge

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
Cheerio <che...@psu.edu> wrote in article <3783436C...@psu.edu>...

> up. In 20 years from now, I'd be surprised if you can even find a Pac-Man
> machine anymore...

What kind of arcade still has them NOW ?!?

flo...@usit.net

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:48:47 +0900, "Shadowraven" <ab...@aol.com>
wrote:

>From videogames.com:
>
>>Twin Galaxies, keeper of video game scores and records, has announced that
>a perfect score for the legendary Pac-Man >arcade game has been achieved.
>With only one quarter, Billy Mitchell, 33, of Fort Lauderdale reached a
>score of 3,333,360 >points - the maximum allowed by Pac-Man. This record
>will be placed in next year's edition of the Twin Galaxies' Official >Video
>Game & Pinball Book of World Records.
>

>>"I had to be first," said Mitchell. "It's like Neil Armstrong walking on
>the moon. No matter how many people accomplish the >feat afterwards, it will
>always be Armstrong who will be remembered for doing it first. And, best of
>all, it was an American."
>

>>The six-hour spectacle was recorded on video by Funspot, an arcade family
>fun center in Weirs Beach, NH. "I never have to >play that darn game again,"
>Mitchell sighed in relief. "There's nothing more I can accomplish."
>

>>Mitchell holds the world record on for Donkey Kong as well.
>
>Whoopy frickin' doo! Am I supposed to be jealous of this guy for playing a
>game for 20 years and just now got a perfect score? If I had played Pac-Man
>for 20 years, I could be like funboy here too: A 33 year old man, who still
>calls himself 'Billy' with no life who equates himself to Neil Armstrong.
>

>>And, best of all, it was an American
>

>I'm sure his name will be on the lips of all Americans who say their prayers
>tonight. It sounds like this guy thinks he deserves a ticker tape parade.
>In all honesty, I wouldn't have given this 'news' a second thought if this
>guy didn't sound like he had done something worthy of mankind, 'cause he
>didn't. He also says that there is nothing more he can accomplish....here's
>a start: PLAY A GAME IN THE FRICKIN' 90S'. Thanks for the memories Billy
>and rest assured that your wonderful records are in no danger of being
>broken....

The story also never stated whether he was using one of the older
Pacman machines where patterns could be used, or whether it was a
machine where they randomized every board. Anyone can use the
patterns, if he did it with the random boards then thats an
achievement.

flo...@usit.net

Scott Giangrande

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
Funspot in Weirs Beach, NH I guess... hehe they have all the old 80s games
(cause I guess then they had to buy them all)

russ juckes

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:48:47 +0900, "Shadowraven" <ab...@aol.com>
scribed:

>>And, best of all, it was an American
>
>I'm sure his name will be on the lips of all Americans who say their prayers
>tonight. It sounds like this guy thinks he deserves a ticker tape parade.
>In all honesty, I wouldn't have given this 'news' a second thought if this
>guy didn't sound like he had done something worthy of mankind, 'cause he
>didn't. He also says that there is nothing more he can accomplish....here's
>a start: PLAY A GAME IN THE FRICKIN' 90S'. Thanks for the memories Billy
>and rest assured that your wonderful records are in no danger of being
>broken....

Without wanting to upset all the reasonable Americans out there, I can
say that we of the rest of the world once again have another reason to
bow down to the power of the Stars and stripes.

Hot Damn, apple pie, Pac man. etc.

Outta here,

Russ Juckes - Atari Jaguar, Jamma Cabinet & Sinclair ZX Spectrum Owner
--
"Do you *really* want to play?" http://www.raiden.demon.co.uk

Sllim

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?

I remember something about the short guy finding a videogame machine
that he used to play as a kid and racking up a high score on it. Then
he wanted to buy it so they wouldnt turn the machine off and loose the
score.

Sooner or later the power is going to go out in that place and loose
the score. Cool.
.
On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 08:09:16 -0400, Cheerio <che...@psu.edu> wrote:

>Shadowraven wrote:
>
>> From videogames.com:

>> >"I had to be first," said Mitchell. "It's like Neil Armstrong walking on
>> the moon. No matter how many people accomplish the >feat afterwards, it will

>> always be Armstrong who will be remembered for doing it first. And, best of
>> all, it was an American."
>
>hehe.. yeah, lets see... Neil Armstrong and Mitchell.. yeah, i'm gonna really
>remember this guy tomorrow..
>

>> >The six-hour spectacle was recorded on video by Funspot, an arcade family
>> fun center in Weirs Beach, NH. "I never have to >play that darn game again,"
>> Mitchell sighed in relief. "There's nothing more I can accomplish."
>

>Damn, I know that place too.. really gone downhill since the 80s when they added
>in a whole bunch of crap but really reduced the number of quality games. The
>pier was so much better and at least you could find a lot of stuff.. As for the
>pac-man game, good thing they recorded it because they'll likely unplug the
>machine without even thinking one day..
>

>> >Mitchell holds the world record on for Donkey Kong as well.
>>
>> Whoopy frickin' doo! Am I supposed to be jealous of this guy for playing a
>> game for 20 years and just now got a perfect score? If I had played Pac-Man
>> for 20 years, I could be like funboy here too: A 33 year old man, who still
>> calls himself 'Billy' with no life who equates himself to Neil Armstrong.
>

>Fact of the matter is, I don't even think most 6 year olds know who Neil
>Armstrong is either.. Yeah, and I guess after 20 years, most people likely gave

>up. In 20 years from now, I'd be surprised if you can even find a Pac-Man
>machine anymore...

Andrew

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99

I believe it was a frogger machine that was in the episode???

-Andrew

Scott Giangrande

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99

Sllim wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?
>
> I remember something about the short guy finding a videogame machine
> that he used to play as a kid and racking up a high score on it. Then
> he wanted to buy it so they wouldnt turn the machine off and loose the
> score.

Yes, George found a Frogger game with his top score, and then he inlisted Kramer and
an ex-con electrician wiz to help move the game out of a pizza-place via generator to
Georges house so that he didn't lose the fact that he had the top score.. it ended up
as a real-life frogger ending with George trying to get across the street like the
frog with game in hand...

Gaymond Lee

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 20:13:07 GMT, ach...@blazenet.net (Sllim) wrote:

>Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?
>
>I remember something about the short guy finding a videogame machine
>that he used to play as a kid and racking up a high score on it. Then
>he wanted to buy it so they wouldnt turn the machine off and loose the
>score.
>

>Sooner or later the power is going to go out in that place and loose
>the score. Cool.
>.

FWIW no one will see the high score anyways as Pac-Man flips over at 1
million. The high score table will only show the 9999XX and the game
has to be powered off after it hits the split screen mode if you want
to resume normal play again.
Gaymond Lee

Scribbler

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
I replied to message <3783b471...@news.blazenet.net> written by
Sllim because I wanted to.

> Sooner or later the power is going to go out in that place and loose
> the score. Cool.

Thank god for the battery-backed up "Track 'n' Field" machine in my local
arcade. I've had the highest Long Jump measurement since 1992.

--
Email: arct...@callnetuk.com
http://www.arcticfox.freeserve.co.uk/congrat/congrat.htm

Duane Moore

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
Gaymond Lee wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 20:13:07 GMT, ach...@blazenet.net (Sllim) wrote:
>
> >Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?
> >
> >I remember something about the short guy finding a videogame machine
> >that he used to play as a kid and racking up a high score on it. Then
> >he wanted to buy it so they wouldnt turn the machine off and loose the
> >score.

That was Frogger btw....

Kenta20

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
This record is nothing. go to Southern Hills Golfland.. they have a machine
with Dig Dug and Pac Man, and something else.. and there is this guy that plays
there.. skinny white guy, .. crazy on the games. I've watched him finish Pac
man AND Dig Dug on one credit each... can you believe that? I didn't think
there was an ending.. but he kept on playing until he maxed out the scores. So
no, this guy in the Twin Galaxies is nothing special.

Alan L.M. Buxey

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:14:03 +0100 ,Scribbler posted the following:

: Thank god for the battery-backed up "Track 'n' Field" machine in my local

: arcade. I've had the highest Long Jump measurement since 1992.

...right! where do you live? ;-)

alan

744411FD-B6B0-11D2-AFB4-00805FC76F91

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
face it, you guys are all just a little bit jealous.

kurt
http://coinop.clickto.com/

Gaymond Lee <gay...@cari.net> wrote in message

> Well, this guy didn't just finish it. He received a perfect score
> *and* did it on his first Pac-Man. It is special but he's far short of
> being an American hero. He's had almost 20 years to practice.
> Gaymond Lee

for the humor impaired: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Scribbler

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
I replied to message <7m1stv$isa$5...@infa.central.susx.ac.uk> written by
Alan L.M. Buxey because I wanted to.

Whaaaaa? Me? Jeapordise my 7 year record? I reckon I'm the best at it in
Hartlepool! Oh, figs... :-)

MLT

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
In article <7lv3c0$pj8$1...@gxsn.com>, "Craig" <crit...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

> What side of the bed did YOU wake up on?
> Wow.
> I know it can't be equated to landing on the moon, but I know I'D be happy
> and proud too...
>
> Give him a break.

Yeah, give mih a break, i just saw that blurb on ZDTV news and its pretty
asmazing score. it was also stated to get that score you must play the
game flawlessly, muching every dot, and hiting every energizer while
eating every single blue ghost, without losing one life for 250 screens,
on one quarter. Nice story to coincide with Pac mans' 20th Anniversary.

Gaymond Lee

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99

Kingweed

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
No he's right...I mean who really cares? The game IS over 20 years old
as he points out. And this being, ummm 1999, it's not exactly the
Golden Age of video gaming. Not a newsworthy event.

Who exactly was standing around watching this bit of "history" being
achieved anyway? Did this guy have groupies watching his
dot-eating-exploits?

Big deal. Who cares? Snore..zzzzzzzz

Kingweed

> [...]

> still
> > calls himself 'Billy' with no life who equates himself to Neil
Armstrong.

> > >And, best of all, it was an American
> >

> > I'm sure his name will be on the lips of all Americans who say their
> prayers
> > tonight. It sounds like this guy thinks he deserves a ticker tape
parade.
> > In all honesty, I wouldn't have given this 'news' a second thought
if this
> > guy didn't sound like he had done something worthy of mankind,
'cause he
> > didn't. He also says that there is nothing more he can
> accomplish....here's
> > a start: PLAY A GAME IN THE FRICKIN' 90S'. Thanks for the memories
Billy
> > and rest assured that your wonderful records are in no danger of

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

russ juckes

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:14:03 +0100 ,Scribbler scribed:

>: Thank god for the battery-backed up "Track 'n' Field" machine in my local
>: arcade. I've had the highest Long Jump measurement since 1992.

Since 1992?

Now that *is* something to be proud of.

Well, I'm impressed anyway.

And I like the flow of the first line of this message too...

Jase

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Dude, Lighten up! You'll give yourself Heartburn (pun: a pacman clone)

I had a Mrs. Pacman cocktail in a little BBQ place I used to run. I wired it up
with a remote receiver that tickeled the coin switch, so I could play with out
dropping quarters (I didn't own the machine, or have the key.)

After hours, I'd eat and drink my profits, and play Pacman. I got pretty good,
consittering I have no real eye-hand coordination, and was thrilled to get
~75000 points. I had a sign that read: Beat the high score, get fed fer free!
Nobody did.

So the moral to this story?
Some guy tops off pacman. Yeah, big deal. But he's done something that 99.9%
of the populace can't (desire is not a factor here) and was recognised for his
accomplishment. That's cool. If you wanna see a big book of useless
accomplishments, go see Mr. Guinness. Useless or not, what have /you/
accomplished that was recognised? Think about it.

Me, it was 1st place, in the Math Olympics, computer problem solving event, in
the 6th grade. Brought a trophy to my school, and was recognised by the school.
I look back, and that was a happy time. It only lasted a day or two, but who
cares. No big deal? Sorry, yes it was, to me! Still is.

So I reiterate. Everyone lighten up. 3 million points on Pacman? Yeah, that's
impressive! -Jase

Hot steaming raw robert

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
> So the moral to this story?
> Some guy tops off pacman. Yeah, big deal. But he's done something that
99.9%
> of the populace can't (desire is not a factor here) and was recognised for
his
> accomplishment. That's cool. If you wanna see a big book of useless
> accomplishments, go see Mr. Guinness. Useless or not, what have /you/
> accomplished that was recognised?

Maybe, I read this enlightening NG post and it changed my life. Does that
count?