Using Sarah Effectively?

ELON R. MUSK

Apr 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/17/95
Sarah seems to have few useful attacks. By this I mean attacks that
don't leave you open for serious retaliation. Her knee attacks and the
long range punt-toe kick beg for your opponent to throw you if they don't
connect.

At this point I'm considering not playing her at all. Any advice on
switching to a new character or suggestions for Sarah?

"Ah well ... there's always death." - Napoleon

Peter N Ivanov

Apr 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/18/95
In article <3muqs1$b...@netnews.upenn.edu>, mus...@futures.wharton.upenn.edu (ELON R. MUSK) writes:
|> Sarah seems to have few useful attacks. By this I mean attacks that
|> don't leave you open for serious retaliation. Her knee attacks and the
|> long range punt-toe kick beg for your opponent to throw you if they don't
|> connect.
|>
|> At this point I'm considering not playing her at all. Any advice on
|> switching to a new character or suggestions for Sarah?

Two things you can do:

1. If you want to be able to do moves without worrying about what your opponent
is doing meanwhile, and not worry much about being punished if they do not connect
switch to Akira. (what cheaseballs in my arcade do)

2. Learn to unleash moves like Sarah's knees and punt kick, toe kick only when
they will hit, by using throws and low kicks (weak but quick) to make the
opponent crouch. (it is so satisfying to hear 'Even good guys blow it')

BTW, consider trying Sarah's less standard moves, like b/d + K + G;
b, b + K, d + k and the like. Mix enough weirdshit and people get uncertain.

I sometimes spend the second round just fooling around with all the kicks
Sarah has, and very often people are completely frustrated.

Peter

Oh, a cheese advice.

Stand at a comfortable distance, and use P, K and b/d + P + G to secure a
perimeter around you. Works amazingly well against some characters.
Lion and Shun for one are totally stumpted by the b/d + P + G.

Van Hoang Nguyen

Apr 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/18/95
In article <3muqs1$b...@netnews.upenn.edu> mus...@futures.wharton.upenn.edu (ELON R. MUSK) writes:
>Sarah seems to have few useful attacks. By this I mean attacks that
>don't leave you open for serious retaliation. Her knee attacks and the
>long range punt-toe kick beg for your opponent to throw you if they don't
>connect.
>At this point I'm considering not playing her at all. Any advice on
>switching to a new character or suggestions for Sarah?

Her b/d+K+G is very fast. Someone has said that you can't retaliate against
it... In any case, it has very fast recovery. Her down, back+k(k) is very
fast too, but kind of hard to do. Her turn-around attacks are also very
quick, but very risky (ie. don't do them unless you know them cold). Her
hopping round kick is decent, but best reserved for variety. It recovers
pretty well too.

A couple other things you could try:
1) If you miss an attack, don't try blocking. Instead, tap backwards madly.
This will often get you out of range very fast, depending on what they try.
Keep in mind that some characters (like Lion) can catch up to you very fast,
and others (like Akira) can hit you before you get away.
2) For the elbow=>knee, mix in just elbows. This often gets people to stop
blocking before the knee, since they don't think you're going to do it.
3) Go for the jumping clothesline a lot. It's great.

All I can think of now. There is a Sarah FAQ out there somewhere if you want
to look for it.

Van H. Nguyen
va...@ocf.berkeley.edu
University of California at Berkeley

"Awoooooooooh!"

Joji G

Apr 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/18/95
-> 1. If you want to be able to do moves without worrying about what
-> your opponent
-> is doing meanwhile, and not worry much about being punished if they
-> do not connect
-> switch to Akira. (what cheaseballs in my arcade do)

Peter, you are just unbelievable.

-> BTW, consider trying Sarah's less standard moves, like b/d + K + G;
-> b, b + K, d + k and the like. Mix enough weirdshit and people get
-> uncertain.

The hook kick is one of the most useful kicks for Sarah. It has a
fairly good range, uncounterable, and can be followed up with a high
pounce if your kick hit as a counter.

It is by no means a 'non-standard' move.
Just like all characters have 'safe' moves, the Bryants have the hook
kick.

Joji Suzuki
joj...@channel1.com

Chia Jin Ngee

Apr 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/19/95
ELON R. MUSK (mus...@futures.wharton.upenn.edu) wrote:
: Sarah seems to have few useful attacks. By this I mean attacks that
: don't leave you open for serious retaliation. Her knee attacks and the
: long range punt-toe kick beg for your opponent to throw you if they don't
: connect.

: At this point I'm considering not playing her at all. Any advice on
: switching to a new character or suggestions for Sarah?

The whole point in VF is to make sure your moves connect. Bashing moves
in empty air begs anyone to be thrown.

Use mainly her Big Punt and Side Hook Kick. The first is rather fast and
have range and the second has about knee range, fast and uncounterable.
Throw standing opponents and do not be dependent on low attacks. Sarah
scores the least in low attacks. Do her punch and side kick when they
start learning to duck your punch-kick. Do a quick elbow-knee or kickflip
when they stagger from the side kick.

--
Jin Ngee, Chia
(Genie, the OligoMan)

Joji G

Apr 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/20/95
-> The whole point in VF is to make sure your moves connect. Bashing
-> moves in empty air begs anyone to be thrown.
->
-> Use mainly her Big Punt and Side Hook Kick. The first is rather fast
-> and have range and the second has about knee range, fast and
-> uncounterable. Throw standing opponents and do not be dependent on
-> low attacks. Sarah scores the least in low attacks. Do her punch and
-> side kick when they start learning to duck your punch-kick. Do a
-> quick elbow-knee or kickflip when they stagger from the side kick.
->
-> --
-> Jin Ngee, Chia

For Sarah, the best fighting method is not to go for the big damaging
moves unless as a counter. Even the punt, IMO, is too risky since a
blocked punt can be countered. Use mainly her f,f+P method, in which a
standing opponent will be thrown and the crouching opponent will stagger
from the elbow. The stagger can be followed up with so many things, and
puts pressure on the opponent to stand or attack. Take away the life
bar slowly, and don't commit to big moves. That's how you play Sarah.
IMO, of course.

Joji Suzuki
joj...@channel1.com

Yupasawa

Apr 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/23/95
With Sarah, stand just out of punt kick range and when your opponent
flinches do the down+K,K. The idea is to catch them just releaseing the
defense button. As posted above, if you miss the punt kick, side kick or
the triple kick your begging to be thrown. You have to learn which moves
hit and when. Check out the very informative Akira FAQ, which is very
useful for non-Akira players as well.

Yupa

Chia Jin Ngee

Apr 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/24/95
Joji G (joj...@channel1.com) wrote:
: -> The whole point in VF is to make sure your moves connect. Bashing

Risk is the thing in VF2. You have to dare to win. Many players I have
met seem too cautious. I have taught my "disciples" to punish all missed
(it is missed and not blocked) attacks with a few exceptions with the big
punt. Reflexes and reaction are what I usually uphold. Plans and tactics
are second. Throws are mainly used on the offensive. Reason being that
opponents to Sarah will remain standing and defending.

In terms of range, the big punt of Sarah is very far. The kickflip comes
to a close second. Her clothesline can throw people from far and I have
used this on opponents running towards me for a throw.

Lau is the one that can take the lifebar off slowly. Since the crescent,
sweep and kickflip combos don't usually connect even though the knife or
punches do. Lau players will have to counter with punches but omit the
last kick moves and back off. In that way, Lau wins by inching your
lifebar away. The kick moves will only be committed if the opponent
floats. This is true for all characters with >4-hit punch combos.