CLASSIC GAME QUESTION! READ!

aaron stigberg

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
Even though I sucked at it, I used to love playing Rolling Thunder. Was there
ever an arcade sequel, or a Nintendo or Super Nintendo or Sega Sequel for that
matter? Anyone else love this game like I did?

Also, I used to really dig THE LEGEND OF KAGE. IMHO, it was a really original
game concept... Someone back me up!

--
Let's do this, not just to say we did it, cause I'm committed--
Girl he's committed--To DO YA!

Fred Sloniker

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
aaron stigberg <st...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>Even though I sucked at it, I used to love playing Rolling Thunder.
>Was there ever an arcade sequel, or a Nintendo or Super Nintendo or
>Sega Sequel for that matter? Anyone else love this game like I did?

Yes, yes, and yes! (:3 Rolling Thunder was truly a god-like game.
There was an arcade sequel which was two-player and a lot of fun
(though I only got to play it once, overseas); I've played the Genesis
version of RT2, which wasn't. (Boss monsters. Euuuurgh.) There are,
AFAIK, SNES and Genesis versions of Rolling Thunder up to 3.

>Also, I used to really dig THE LEGEND OF KAGE. IMHO, it was a really
>original game concept... Someone back me up!

Very cool game, and one of the few games you could actually play the
demo on. (:3 (Due to a bug, during levels 1 and 3, but not 2, of the
demo, you could still control the character. Of course, the computer
was trying to do so as well, giving a rather amusing 'I don't *want*
to go that way!' effect...)

---Fred M. Sloniker, stressed undergrad
L. Lazuli R'kamos, FurryMUCKer
laz...@u.washington.edu

Fred's Second Law: Fear of the unknown keeps it that way.

Philip John Stroffolino

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95
Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.video.arcade: 12-May-95 CLASSIC GAME
QUESTION! READ! by aaron stigberg@kimbark.u
> Even though I sucked at it, I used to love playing Rolling Thunder.
Was there

> ever an arcade sequel, or a Nintendo or Super Nintendo or Sega Sequel
for that

> matter? Anyone else love this game like I did?

There is a "Rolling Thunder 2" and a "Rolling Thunder 3" for the NES.
Neither captures (IMHO) the spirit of the original. The original had
some great music, a lot_ of suspense, and some downright frightening
enemies. It also had a great "wharehouse" feel to it, and simple solid
gameplay:

- 2 punches or one gunshot wound kills you
- no obligatory end-of-round bosses
- no myriad of semi-useful, game-imbalancing weapons; just the trusty
pistol and a machine gun

SirRichard

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
Rolling Thunder was a great arcade game. Unfortunately RT1 NEVER came to
Genesis (I hope somebody does a perfect 32x version though), but RT2 comes
closest to it. RT2 AFAIK was only on test release in arcades before it
went straight to Genesis. Obviously the Genesis' graphics for RT2 were
inferior to those of the arcade RT1, but the game still was very good
(although easier to complete than the first). As for RT3- that game had
none of the spirit of the first 2 and was WAY too easy.
S.R.

Scott Martin

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
There was also a Rolling Thunder 2 and Rolling Thunder 3 for the arcade
(Rolling Thunder 3 was called "OutFoxes") Although these games were
not widely distributed in the United States.

Scott Martin

In <Ajhw=9y00WB...@andrew.cmu.edu> Philip John Stroffolino

Mark Phaedrus

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
In article <3p0p99$3...@nntp4.u.washington.edu>,

Fred Sloniker <laz...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>Very cool game, and one of the few games you could actually play the
>demo on. (:3 (Due to a bug, during levels 1 and 3, but not 2, of the
>demo, you could still control the character. Of course, the computer
>was trying to do so as well, giving a rather amusing 'I don't *want*
>to go that way!' effect...)

That's hysterical! I'll have to try that...
I think my favorite demo bug is in the Atari 7800 translation of the
great arcade game Food Fight. One of Food Fight's features was Instant
Replay, where if you did something particularly memorable (like getting
reeeeally close to being splatted) and still managed to finish the level,
it would replay the whole level again for you as a sort of intermission.
The last Instant Replay played would also be used during the attract-mode
demo. Well, in the 7800 version, sometimes a food piece that barely squeaked
by you during the original play of the board would hit you during the
Instant Replay! When this happened, the game would go through the whole
lose-a-life song and display, actually take the life off the screen, display
"OOPPS MISSED", award you your life back (complete with sound effect), and
go on to the next level normally. What's more, if you then lost the game
before getting another Instant Replay (so this one wound up being the one
displayed during attract mode), it would sometimes show you getting hit and
sometimes show you completing the level normally...
(Yes, I know there's a good technical explanation for why this happens,
but it's cute. :-) )

--
\o\ If you're interested in books/stories with transformation themes,\o\
\o\please try <URL:http://www.halcyon.com/phaedrus/Menu.html>, or \o\

aaron stigberg

May 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/18/95
>lose-a-life song and display, actually take the life off the screen, display
>"OOPPS MISSED", award you your life back (complete with sound effect), and
>go on to the next level normally. What's more, if you then lost the game
>before getting another Instant Replay (so this one wound up being the one
>displayed during attract mode), it would sometimes show you getting hit and
>sometimes show you completing the level normally...
> (Yes, I know there's a good technical explanation for why this happens,
>but it's cute. :-) )

This is a lot like the bug in Sega's Joe Montana '94, where if you replayed a
big gainer sometimes you'd get tackled for a loss on the replay, or throw an
incomplete pass, or soemthing.

--
New jacks step inside my city, I just snipe 'em like Wesley
st...@midway.uchicago.edu