1,000,000 in Donkey Kong is IMPOSSIBLE to get!!

Timothy Sczerby

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
I've finally given up. 1,000,000 in Donkey Kong is UNBEATABLE! No one
can do it! I've spent three weeks in font of my Donkey Kong game and the
best I could do is 817,600 with my game ending on level 21. If the game
of Donkey Kong does in fact end on level 22 due to inadequate bonus time
to clear the board,NO WAY IN HELL IS ANY BODY GOING TO GET 1,000,000
POINTS IN THIS GAME..... NO FU@!ING
WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I threw Two weeks of vacation time down the shit can on a wild goose
chase!

Mark Jenison

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99

I was of the understanding that the timer running out does nothing, but maybe
I'm wrong. Were you doing the tricks like standing in one place and jumping
barrels, and jumping Donkey Kong's foot repeatedly?

--
____________ ______ ___ _____ __ ____________
/ __/ / / / |/ / / |/ //|/|/|_______________

Steven Zeuner

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
According the Joystik magazines Dec '83 article. The highest score was
874,300.

So you may be right. :)

Jeff F.

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99

Lair...@webtv.net (Timothy Sczerby) writes:
> > I've finally given up. 1,000,000 in Donkey Kong is UNBEATABLE! No one
> > can do it! I've spent three weeks in font of my Donkey Kong game and the
> > best I could do is 817,600 with my game ending on level 21. If the game
> > of Donkey Kong does in fact end on level 22 due to inadequate bonus time
> > to clear the board,NO WAY IN HELL IS ANY BODY GOING TO GET 1,000,000
> > POINTS IN THIS GAME..... NO FU@!ING
> > WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > I threw Two weeks of vacation time down the shit can on a wild goose
> > chase!
>
> I was of the understanding that the timer running out does nothing, but
maybe
> I'm wrong. Were you doing the tricks like standing in one place and
jumping
> barrels, and jumping Donkey Kong's foot repeatedly?

The timer running out kills your player. Also, the trick of jumping by
DK's foot doesn't really get you anything since the timer decreases at about
the same rate as you jumping. 1,000,000 would be some accomplishment,
basically you'd have to get every point possible and even then, I really
don't think it could be done.

Happy Holidays,
Jeff

p.s. Someone scored 893,400 on the MAME version before the kill screen.

David Choi - ELCO/P96

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
My condolences...been there, done that. :-\

If I had a nickel for each time I was glued to the game...

Timothy Sczerby (Lair...@webtv.net) wrote:
: I've finally given up. 1,000,000 in Donkey Kong is UNBEATABLE! No one

Jon Raiford

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
What about the Japanese version of the game? You get a lot more easy levels
that don't jump around a lot. Also, what about using your men up on levels
where you can get lots of points (is there such a level?) and then using
your last guy to play until the impossible boards? This is all speculative
since I have never scored that high ;)

Jon

nos...@nospam.com

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
In article <jJya4.402$rK1....@typhoon.nyroc.rr.com>, Jeff F. <jfo...@stny.rr.com> reshaped the electrons to say:

> "Mark Jenison" <jen...@cig.mot.com> wrote in message
>> In article <3933-38...@storefull-265.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
> Lair...@webtv.net (Timothy Sczerby) writes:

>> > I've finally given up. 1,000,000 in Donkey Kong is UNBEATABLE! No one
>> > can do it! I've spent three weeks in font of my Donkey Kong game and the
>> > best I could do is 817,600 with my game ending on level 21. If the game
>> > of Donkey Kong does in fact end on level 22 due to inadequate bonus time
>> > to clear the board,NO WAY IN HELL IS ANY BODY GOING TO GET 1,000,000
>> > POINTS IN THIS GAME..... NO FU@!ING
>> > WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> > I threw Two weeks of vacation time down the sh*t can on a wild goose
>> > chase!
>>

>> I was of the understanding that the timer running out does nothing, but
> maybe
>> I'm wrong. Were you doing the tricks like standing in one place and
> jumping
>> barrels, and jumping Donkey Kong's foot repeatedly?

> The timer running out kills your player. Also, the trick of jumping by

> DK's foot doesn't really get you anything since the timer decreases at about
> the same rate as you jumping. 1,000,000 would be some accomplishment,

Yea, I think the counter speed makes this trick useless after about level 4 or
5.

> basically you'd have to get every point possible and even then, I really
> don't think it could be done.

Man, how long does a game take when you get 800K? Also, is there a special
trick to get past the bouncy things (springese) on the elevator level after
level 4? They are damn near impossible, at least for me.

sear...@my-deja.com

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
So you blew two weeks down the crapper, huh? Too bad you didn't talk to
me first. I spoke with Bill Mitchell(the world record holder(874k+)) in
the mid 80's, as well as Chris Ayra(822K+) who had the second highest
score in the game. If my memory serves me correctly, Bill had actually
gotten over 850,000 on his first man that game in which he was playing
someone who was claiming a much, much higher score than the game can
logically give you. It's considered one of the all time video game
record highlights.(Next to Bill's perfect Pacman game). I believe that
Chris told me that on the 22nd board, the timer only gives you
something like 400, so if it is possible to get a higher score, then it
wouldn't be by much. In fact, I don't believe 900,000 is possible.
(Ghost).

Lair...@webtv.net (Timothy Sczerby) wrote:
> I've finally given up. 1,000,000 in Donkey Kong is UNBEATABLE! No one
> can do it! I've spent three weeks in font of my Donkey Kong game and
the
> best I could do is 817,600 with my game ending on level 21. If the
game
> of Donkey Kong does in fact end on level 22 due to inadequate bonus
time
> to clear the board,NO WAY IN HELL IS ANY BODY GOING TO GET 1,000,000
> POINTS IN THIS GAME..... NO FU@!ING
> WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> I threw Two weeks of vacation time down the shit can on a wild goose
> chase!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jeff F.

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
li...@wmich.edu<nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Man, how long does a game take when you get 800K? Also, is there a special
> trick to get past the bouncy things (springese) on the elevator level
after
> level 4? They are damn near impossible, at least for me.

The only help I could give is to go to
http://www.classicgaming.com/snipersarcade/ and get the MAME .inp file of
the high score game there. It's really neat to see someone as good as Ben
Jos Walbeehm play the game.

I also remember seeing a "strategy guide" somewhere on the 'net and it had
the exact strategy to use for that board. It's a timing thing and has
something to do with watching "help" I think?

Happy Holidays,
Jeff

--
Entex Adventure Vision Informational Site:
http://www.adventurevision.com

Vidiot's Video Arcade:
http://vidiot.freeservers.com

Jeff F.

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
"Jon Raiford" <rai...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Also, what about using your men up on levels
> where you can get lots of points (is there such a level?) and then using
> your last guy to play until the impossible boards?

That's what the person who got 894,000 on MAME did. The best way to learn
how to play is to "replay" his game. You get to see all the tips and tricks
this guy used. Go to http://www.classicgaming.com/snipersarcade/ to get the
.inp file, it's worth watching if you are into DK.

> What about the Japanese version of the game? You get a lot more easy
levels
> that don't jump around a lot.

The Japanese version of the game isn't recognized as much as the US
version so people don't really care to play it(for a "record" at least, I
personally enjoy it.)

-Jeff

p.s. Donkey Kong Jr also has a kill screen. It appears as level "F" and I
think is also the 22nd level. I'm hopeful to one day reach it on only 3
men, I've gotten it down to using 7.