Space Invaders secret message?

Jeff Connelly

Dec 19, 2000, 2:46:01 PM12/19/00
I read on a web site that there was a secret message in Space Invaders -
if, during the demo, you tapped all buttons quickly and repeatedly at
the same time, a message would show up. It does say "TAITO COP". Is
that the right message? What's so cool about that? Does it mean
something?

As far as I'm concerned, the only mystery in Space Invaders was how
much the first 5 UFOs were worth. Proudly, I believe I'm the only
person to have "published" this information :-)

--
Regards,
Jeff

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Unknown

Dec 19, 2000, 4:06:29 PM12/19/00
This isn'ty a secret message, but try shooting all of the invaders
EXCEPT the bottom two rows. The action completely stops. I know this
is possible because I've done it. Once, back in 1979 or so, but I've
done it :)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:46:01 GMT, Jeff Connelly <jeff...@aol.com>
wrote:

>I read on a web site that there was a secret message in Space Invaders -
> if, during the demo, you tapped all buttons quickly and repeatedly at
>the same time, a message would show up. It does say "TAITO COP". Is
>that the right message? What's so cool about that? Does it mean
>something?
>
>As far as I'm concerned, the only mystery in Space Invaders was how
>much the first 5 UFOs were worth. Proudly, I believe I'm the only
>person to have "published" this information :-)

----
Pinballs Plus
eBay nick: atarir0x
----

----
Syzygy Magazine
http://www.syzygy-magazine.com
-----

JeffC 1474

Dec 19, 2000, 11:35:05 PM12/19/00
>From: (Pinballs Plus)

>This isn'ty a secret message, but try shooting all of the invaders
>EXCEPT the bottom two rows. The action completely stops. I know this
>is possible because I've done it. Once, back in 1979 or so, but I've
>done it :)

Wow, that sounds harder than finding the values of the UFO for your first 5
shots (because that was rather hard :-)

Regards,
Jeff

Iain Odlin

Dec 20, 2000, 2:18:57 AM12/20/00
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:46:01 GMT, Jeff Connelly <jeff...@aol.com> wrote:

>I read on a web site that there was a secret message in Space Invaders -
> if, during the demo, you tapped all buttons quickly and repeatedly at
>the same time, a message would show up. It does say "TAITO COP". Is
>that the right message? What's so cool about that? Does it mean
>something?

The message is "TAITO CORP". And it's on Space Invaders Deluxe. I've
never done it on Space Invaders.

And it only works on the Midway version.

It means that some Midway programmer was willing to give a secret credit
to the company they bought Space Invaders from.

>As far as I'm concerned, the only mystery in Space Invaders was how
>much the first 5 UFOs were worth. Proudly, I believe I'm the only
>person to have "published" this information :-)

Ummm... Unless you published it in 1979 and are Japanese, this isn't
true. A booklet I have about Space Invaders documents the method for
getting a 300 point mommyship every time.

If you mean what the mothership is worth if you hit it with your first
shot, or your second, etc, then you may be right, but -- while
interesting -- it's not as useful as knowing how to maximize your score.

Cheers,
-Iain

stonic

Dec 20, 2000, 3:56:06 PM12/20/00
This is impossible. The invaders move so slowly across the screen that you
can't wrap shots around the bottom aliens, unless there's like less then 7-8
on the screen- total.

If you leave ONE of the aliens from either of the two bottom rows, he'll
leave a trail moving left-to-right, and then erase it moving right-to-left.
(If this is done in the Deluxe version, you'll get the famed "rainbow"
display when you shoot him). Perhaps this is the trick you were thinking
of?

<Pinballs Plus> wrote in message

stonic

Dec 20, 2000, 4:01:10 PM12/20/00
Depends on what shot count you hit them. They call all be worth 300, or
150, etc.....

stonic

Dec 20, 2000, 4:01:11 PM12/20/00

> The message is "TAITO CORP". And it's on Space Invaders Deluxe. I've
> never done it on Space Invaders.
>
> And it only works on the Midway version.
>
> It means that some Midway programmer was willing to give a secret credit
> to the company they bought Space Invaders from.

There's another trick in the Deluxe version. If you manage to hit one of
the invaders that the mothership drops into the formation, the invader will
fall to the bottom of the screen and land sideways.

Unknown

Dec 20, 2000, 4:15:43 PM12/20/00
It's not impossible. It's ALMOST impossible, but with the right
timing, it can be done. I've HAVE done it, and have seen others do it.

Brian

stonic

Dec 21, 2000, 12:07:44 AM12/21/00
I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything (so please don't take this the
wrong way) but I'd loved to see a videotape of someone doing it b/c I just
don't know how it can be done.

<Pinballs Plus> wrote in message

GlitZgoth

Dec 22, 2000, 6:55:25 PM12/22/00
you guys have WAY too much time.......but i commend you for it. :0)
- ben

malcor

Dec 23, 2000, 1:46:28 AM12/23/00

"stonic" <scot...@ptd.net> wrote

> I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything (so please don't take this the
> wrong way) but I'd loved to see a videotape of someone doing it b/c I just
> don't know how it can be done.

I think that you may have misunderstood what the guy wrote. He meant if the
last two invaders that you shot were from the bottom and second from the
bottom rows. It is not that difficult to accomplish. What I do is shoot all
the invaders except for one column. It is then relatively easy to shoot the
remaining invaders, leaving the bottom two for last, by shooting while
moving
your base in the same direction as the invaders. You just keep your base
slightly ahead of the invaders so the invaders end up moving into your
shots.

Hope that makes things more clear.

Regards,
Ruben

Unknown

Dec 23, 2000, 3:11:32 AM12/23/00
Nope.... I meant that if you shoot ALL of the invaders EXCEPT the
first two ROWS (the "skulls").... leaving ALL of them, the entire
procession will freeze. It looks and sounds impossible, but it can be
done with timing and patience. Like I said before, I did it once back
in the late 70s, and I've seen someone else do it. The key is to time
your shots with the movement of the invaders. You must be VERY precise
or it won't work.

I know this sounds far-fetched as hell, but trust me, it's been done.

Brian Deuel

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 17:46:28 +1100, "malcor" <mal...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

----

Jeff Connelly

Dec 26, 2000, 3:52:20 PM12/26/00
In article <3a485d7f...@news3.usenet-access.com>,

(Pinballs Plus) wrote:
> Nope.... I meant that if you shoot ALL of the invaders EXCEPT the
> first two ROWS (the "skulls").... leaving ALL of them, the entire
> procession will freeze. It looks and sounds impossible, but it can be
> done with timing and patience. Like I said before, I did it once back
> in the late 70s, and I've seen someone else do it. The key is to time
> your shots with the movement of the invaders. You must be VERY precise
> or it won't work.
>
> I know this sounds far-fetched as hell, but trust me, it's been done.

With all the talk of this trick (which I admit does sound possible, but
very difficult), has anyone tried what I did? Shoot the UFO with the
first 5 missile shots? I've never read anywhere on the internet anyone
proving they knew the values of all the UFOs by actually shooting them.

Jeff Connelly

Dec 26, 2000, 3:57:28 PM12/26/00
In article <3a405af6...@news.javanet.com>,

od...@reed.edu (Iain Odlin) wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:46:01 GMT, Jeff Connelly <jeff...@aol.com>
wrote:

> >I read on a web site that there was a secret message in Space
Invaders -
> > if, during the demo, you tapped all buttons quickly and repeatedly
at
> >the same time, a message would show up. It does say "TAITO COP". Is
> >that the right message? What's so cool about that? Does it mean
> >something?
>
> The message is "TAITO CORP". And it's on Space Invaders Deluxe.
I've
> never done it on Space Invaders.

Nope, this is regular Space Invaders. I'm almost positive it
said "TAITO COP", but I'll check again.

> >As far as I'm concerned, the only mystery in Space Invaders was how
> >much the first 5 UFOs were worth. Proudly, I believe I'm the only
> >person to have "published" this information :-)
>
> Ummm... Unless you published it in 1979 and are Japanese, this
isn't
> true. A booklet I have about Space Invaders documents the method
for
> getting a 300 point mommyship every time.
>
> If you mean what the mothership is worth if you hit it with your
first
> shot, or your second, etc, then you may be right, but -- while
> interesting -- it's not as useful as knowing how to maximize your
score.

No, of course I'm not just talking about getting a 300 point UFO every
time. And yes, it might seem kind of interesting but trivial, but the
fact is it showed the original count was not quite right for maximizing
your score. The count I've always heard says to count 22 shots, then
14 continually after that. But in fact the first 300 point UFO comes
first after counting 7 shots, and then every 14 continually after
that. Is that what your old Space Invaders booklet says?

Jeff Connelly

Dec 26, 2000, 4:01:06 PM12/26/00
In article <q6906.977$kb.5...@nnrp1.ptd.net>,

That's what I meant by "first 5" - a UFO that's hit after one shot is
fired, a UFO that's hit after 2 shots are fired, etc. up to 5. It's
very difficult to hit a UFO with your first 5 shots (i.e. not killing
any invaders.) But that was the only way prove the values for the
early shot counts. Most people don't know that the UFO is worth 300
after your first 7 shots. With regards to the guy who said we have too
much time on our hands, hey I finally own this game after learning to
play it 20 years ago, and I decided to really learn it :-)

JeffC 1474

Dec 26, 2000, 9:58:18 PM12/26/00
>From: Jeff Connelly jeff...@aol.com
>In article <3a405af6...@news.javanet.com>,
> od...@reed.edu (Iain Odlin) wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:46:01 GMT, Jeff Connelly <jeff...@aol.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> >I read on a web site that there was a secret message in Space
>Invaders -
>> > if, during the demo, you tapped all buttons quickly and repeatedly
>at
>> >the same time, a message would show up. It does say "TAITO COP". Is
>> >that the right message? What's so cool about that? Does it mean
>> >something?
>>
>> The message is "TAITO CORP". And it's on Space Invaders Deluxe.
>I've
>> never done it on Space Invaders.
>
>Nope, this is regular Space Invaders. I'm almost positive it
>said "TAITO COP", but I'll check again.

Just checked again, and it is "TAITO COP". Weird. The message you mention
makes a lot more sense! I wonder what the deal is.

Regards,
Jeff