TECH Questions...Wizard of Wor

JDM

Jan 10, 2004, 9:12:41 PM1/10/04
I just brought home a new project, a Wizard of Wor upright, and I have
a couple questions...

1. The sound of the background music is non-existant. After the game
is on for awhile, very muffled/garbled sound is heard of the players
shooting, the monsters appearing, and the players being killed. The
wizard's voice is perfect...nice and clear (the little bastard has no
problem taunghting me whatsoever ;-). I've checked the volumes, and
they all emit a buzzing sound when turned way up, hence, I hope I'm
right when I think that the amplifier board is working.

2. The monitor is lighter on the one side than the other, and the top
3 inches of the picture is severely skewed to the right. When I flip
the self-test switch, instead of getting the test screen it just
flashes alternating colors, indicating by the setup sheets I got with
the game that the video interface RAM is not functioning properly. Am
I correct in assuming this, is the RAM for Wow easy to come by, and
would a cap kit help the monitor's skewing and color problems?

I did the standard "pull the chips and clean and re-seat them"
routine, cleaned the cage and such, but to no avail. The only thing I
noticed it does not have is a ground plug on the cord (someone cut it
off). any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Jim Melcher

Jan 12, 2004, 7:23:57 PM1/12/04
Are the audio potentiometers known to be good?

I am thinking:
The Wizard is fine, so the amp is good and the speakers are good
The players can be heard, just softly.
Maybe the volume pots are bad?

Have you put a meter on them to see if they move through a range?
Compared to the the "good" Wizard volume pot?

The flag waving
-----
\ \
| |
| |
-----
could indicate a new cap kit for the monitor.

Color Shift? Is there a magnet next to the monitor?

JDM

Jan 13, 2004, 9:04:31 AM1/13/04
I'll check the pots. It's a little strange, the other day the
background sound started coming through again but distorted and
weak...now nothing again...

Just ordered a cap kit from Bob Roberts, I think it should solve the
monitor prob, except for the color shift...no magnets close, but a
good degaussing will probably help.

Mike Doyle

Jan 13, 2004, 11:20:37 AM1/13/04
Jeff, I'd check the two 40 pin socketed chips on your I/O board (the
one the harness connects to). These are AMI chips and IIRC are
related to sound. The good news is your SC-01 speech chip is okay
since those are tough to find and expensive (around $35 each), you
also know you're getting 12v from the power supply. I've also seen
partial sound failures in the paired volume pots PCB, check the
transistors there, the potentiometers, and if all else fails check the
speaker by moving the wire pairs from one to the other. I had a bad
speaker on one side, one time, so it can happen.

Good luck,
Mike Doyle

JDM

Jan 14, 2004, 12:00:12 PM1/14/04
I've already did the speaker switch test, so I'll work my way back.

Is it possible to replace the Midway medium power supply with a new
switcher? Yesterday the PS started popping the fuse on the board.
Going to start unplugging to find out the culprit...

Mike Doyle

Jan 14, 2004, 5:53:27 PM1/14/04
You can swap in a switcher, but either buy a kit (with the pinouts
already done for you) or proceed carefully. IIRC the pinouts are in a
pattern, but they throw an odd one in where you don't expect it.

Mike Doyle

JDM

Jan 17, 2004, 12:19:59 PM1/17/04
Thanks for the help, I'm getting closer to fixing this sound
problem...

As far as the sound problem, I've pretty much eliminated the sound amp
and speakers and I am focusing on the two 40 pin AMI IIRC chips on the
I/O board. Here's the deal...
I get the Wizard's voice fine in the center speaker. I get squealing
from the left (player 2) speaker and hiss from player 1 (right)
speaker. I did a little switch-a-roo on the two 40 pin chips and got
the opposite effect, plus a fairly mangled screen. Could this be the
culprit, and if so, where can I get these chips? Are they programmed
(eprom), or more like processor chips?

Jeff