ENOUGH DAMN FIGHTING GAMES!!! I miss contra

J. Lee

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
In article <Williams_D-02...@wtmsmc.scsu.ctstateu.edu>,
DL Williams <Willi...@SCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU> wrote:
>I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
>game in there every game in there wasn't a fighter. I missed those days.

<Sentimental *SNIFF*> Yup, me, too. I must have spent $50 on Double
Dragon as a kid.

>Don't get me wrong wrong. I think games like Killier Insticnt, Tekken, the
>Street Fighters, and the Mortal Combats are all great games, but I'm sick
>of every single time I play one these games having to take on 50 people
>waiting to play me.
>
>It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be over
>when when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use
>who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
>another gamer puts in his two quarters.

Or for some, like the MK games, the computer'll kick your ass in two
seconds flat.

>I love a challenge, but I miss quality games arcade like contra and double
>dragon when it was a relief when someone joined in.
>
>ENOUGH STREET FIGHTING GAMES, 2D OR 3D!
>
>ANY PROGRAMERS LISTENING PLEASE MAKE MORE QUALITY ARCADE GAMES THAT AREN'T
>2D OR 3D STREET FIGHTING GAMES
>
>I want to play some games as good as MK3 or Tekken that aren't Street Fighters.
>Anyone else feel this way?
>Can I get a witness?
>

>Peace I'm out.
>\\//
>-DL

Peace 'n' love yourself. A good solution to your probblem is to find an
arcade that still has a bunch of old games. There's one here in Seattle
(just up the street) that has 720, Off-Road, Bubble Bobbble, Snow Bros.,
and some really cool pinball machines.
#666 - The Gridiron Warrior : "I mean, who am us, anyway?" -Firesign Theater
jfl...@u.washington.edu : NARF! SPOOOOOOON! FNORD!
Jerry: "You've got that special thing that only comes from here."
Yakko: "Oh, that's just a spaghetti stain." -Animaniacs

Marat Fayzullin

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
DL Williams (Willi...@SCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU) wrote:
: I want to play some games as good as MK3 or Tekken that aren't Street Fighters.

: Anyone else feel this way?
: Can I get a witness?
I second this: there is a way too many fighting games around, and none
of them allow COOPERATIVE play. In all of them you play against the
computer or against another player. We need something else. An
arcade Chaos Engine maybe...Or something similar.

Ralph Barbagallo

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
Yeah, arcade games suck. I used to love going into arcades.
There were all kinds of games; shooters, maze games, etc. Now it's
ALL fighters and racers. There's no variety. And the few games that
are different never make it to most arcades since operators don't want
to take a gamble on different titles.
I go into an arcade every few months just to keep up on what's new,
but I'm no fan of arcade games. If I find a place with an oldie that I
like, I'll play it a bit (an arcade near campus just got Assault which
I've been playing quite a bit), but other than that I don't frequent arcades
like I used to.

--
Ralph A. Barbagallo III --- rbar...@cs.uml.edu --- Only AMIGA makes it
**"Orange Lazarus will rise again, Slushmaster!"***** Possible... *

Fran Kan

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
I agree, and i love Raiden, althougt it's really getting hard.... if you
look up one sec, you are dead. It's a lot more fun than the other
fighting games that make up 90% of the machines in arcade.

oh actually, i'm refering to Raiden II

Fran

Wuken

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
Willi...@SCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU (DL Williams) wrote:
>I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
>game in there every game in there wasn't a fighter. I missed those days.

I hear you. The most original and popular games back then didn't have
anything to do with the prevading theme nowadays of mutilating the person
standing next to you into a blood-filled pulp of intestines and blood.

>Don't get me wrong wrong. I think games like Killier Insticnt, Tekken, the
>Street Fighters, and the Mortal Combats are all great games, but I'm sick
>of every single time I play one these games having to take on 50 people
>waiting to play me.
>
>It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be over
>when when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use
>who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
>another gamer puts in his two quarters.
>

>I love a challenge, but I miss quality games arcade like contra and double
>dragon when it was a relief when someone joined in.

I hear you again. I don't know how many times I would've been annihilated
in Contra or Final Fight, if some other person didn't join in to save my
skin from bloodthirsty aliens and gangs of mean-looking thugs. It
definitely is a relief to know that the person standing next to you isn't
out to snap your body in half like a twig; he/she's there to do that to
the computer-controlled opponents. It takes the stress and tension out of
the game knowing there's someone one your side, on your team. Personally,
I love competition. But there comes a time when it just becomes too much.
My friends and I used to play Street Fighter Alpha religiously. But now,
we're back into normal, side-scrolling cooperative fighting games like
the arcade version of Aliens Vs. Predator. There, your quarter would
definitely last longer because the other player is there to help you
survive. In my opinion, this is where I have the most fun at the arcade,
where your friends all join in to defeat a common foe--the computer. I
miss Final Fight and G.I. Joe...<wipes tear from eye>

>ENOUGH STREET FIGHTING GAMES, 2D OR 3D!
>
>ANY PROGRAMERS LISTENING PLEASE MAKE MORE QUALITY ARCADE GAMES THAT AREN'T
>2D OR 3D STREET FIGHTING GAMES
>

>I want to play some games as good as MK3 or Tekken that aren't Street Fighters.
>Anyone else feel this way?
>Can I get a witness?
>

>Peace I'm out.
>\\//
>-DL

Here's your witness. I've been having a craving for old games like Contra
and Double Dragon. That's why I am buying Contra from someone on this
newsgroup. It's just to reminisce about the golden age of 8-bit
technology when flashy graphics, incredible amounts of blood, and
spine-tingling sounds didn't make or break the game, but rather the
determining factor was how much fun it was to play it. Anyone out there
remember the time when shooters (i.e. Life Force) were popular? I miss
those days. I hope they come back soon...<sigh>

You know what, I think I'm living a bit too much in the past. Oh well.

"I'd say that guy's missing a few buttons."--Locke Cole
-Wuken

J. Lee

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
>determining factor was how much fun it was to play it. Anyone out there
>remember the time when shooters (i.e. Life Force) were popular? I miss
>those days. I hope they come back soon...<sigh>

That reminds me of something else about old arcade games: novelty. Each
game tried to sell itself by being different from the others. This was
_very_ prominent in shooters for a while, when games like Abadox, Journey
to Silius, Gyruss, Xexyx (something like that), and my personal favorite,
Captain Skyhawk were all amking their own new formulas instead of
me-too-ing, and ripping off Gradius.

>You know what, I think I'm living a bit too much in the past. Oh well.

Well, I wouldn't worry. Once we get rid of most (not all, some are
pretty cool) of the Mortal Karnage Street Kombat Fighter part III's out
of the way, programmers (IMO) are going to wake up and smell the coffee.
My 2 cents.

Steven C. King

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, DL Williams wrote:

> I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
> game in there every game in there wasn't a fighter. I missed those days.
>

> Don't get me wrong wrong. I think games like Killier Insticnt, Tekken, the
> Street Fighters, and the Mortal Combats are all great games, but I'm sick
> of every single time I play one these games having to take on 50 people
> waiting to play me.
>
> It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be over
> when when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use
> who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
> another gamer puts in his two quarters.
>
> I love a challenge, but I miss quality games arcade like contra and double
> dragon when it was a relief when someone joined in.
>

> ENOUGH STREET FIGHTING GAMES, 2D OR 3D!
>
> ANY PROGRAMERS LISTENING PLEASE MAKE MORE QUALITY ARCADE GAMES THAT AREN'T
> 2D OR 3D STREET FIGHTING GAMES
>
> I want to play some games as good as MK3 or Tekken that aren't Street Fighters.
> Anyone else feel this way?
> Can I get a witness?

I can relate to this. Today's arcades seem to only carry new games.
I've categorized these games in the following manner: vs. fighting games,
racing games, and sports games. While a lot of these games are quite
good, it's depressing to see that companies are not bothering to go back
to the good old days of Gorf, Satan's Hollow, Jungle Hunt, R-Type, Pac-Man,
Mappy, Tetris, you get the idea. I love those games, and I would
continually go to an arcade that carried both old and new games than I
would to an arcade that only carried new ones. However, this does bring
up a point. It seems that society is no longer interested in the slow
pace/strategic type games like Tetris, Klax (I love that one!), Qix. Nor
are we no longer interested in shoot-em-up games like Tempest (yes!!),
the Galaxian series (Galaxian, Galaga, Galaga 95 I think), Asteroids,
Star Wars, etc. We only want player vs. player fighting games, racing
games, and sports games. Heck, who on this newsgroup would still play
any of the old puzzle games? I know there are some out there, but I
think the majority wouldn't even look at them any more. The classic days
are gone in the arcades. Now you have to rely on home entertainment for
that.

{--------------------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Name: Steven C. King Institution: Florida State University }
{ Addr: sck...@garnet.acns.fsu.edu Major field: MM Performance }
{ stev...@freenet.fsu.edu Instrument: Clarinet, piano (hobby) }
{ cu...@tweety.csv.eku.edu Last words: Gravity. Why fight it? }
{--------------------------------------------------------------------------}

Steve Wolff

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
Contra. I loved that game who owns it?

swo...@oregon.uoregon.edu (Steve Wolff)

Mitch Brink

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
In <Williams_D-02...@wtmsmc.scsu.ctstateu.edu>
Willi...@SCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU (DL Williams) writes:

>It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be
over
>when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use
>who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
>another gamer puts in his two quarters.

I agree with you about the arcade. I LOVE Virtua Fighter 2, but I
couldn't get good at it because as soon as I'd start to play, some punk
would come up, put his money in, kick my butt, then continue on against
the computer. I don't know who started this trend, but I got so pissed
off one day I went off on a guy for doing it to me, and made him give
me fifty cents, since he stole my game from me.

Robert James Howard Iii

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
In article <Williams_D-02...@wtmsmc.scsu.ctstateu.edu>, Willi...@SCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU (DL Williams) writes:
|> I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
|> game in there every game in there wasn't a fighter. I missed those days.
|>
|> Don't get me wrong wrong. I think games like Killier Insticnt, Tekken, the
|> Street Fighters, and the Mortal Combats are all great games, but I'm sick
|> of every single time I play one these games having to take on 50 people
|> waiting to play me.
|>
|> It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be over
|> when when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use

|> who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
|> another gamer puts in his two quarters.
|>
|> I love a challenge, but I miss quality games arcade like contra and double
|> dragon when it was a relief when someone joined in.
|>
|> ENOUGH STREET FIGHTING GAMES, 2D OR 3D!
|>
|> ANY PROGRAMERS LISTENING PLEASE MAKE MORE QUALITY ARCADE GAMES THAT AREN'T
|> 2D OR 3D STREET FIGHTING GAMES
|>
|> I want to play some games as good as MK3 or Tekken that aren't Street Fighters.
|> Anyone else feel this way?
|> Can I get a witness?
|>

|> Peace I'm out.
|> \\//
|> -DL

Agreed. The instant SF2(Yes the original one.) came out, the arcade was
flooded with duel type games. Make some sequels to the other good
arcade games, not just MK.

*Rob Howard* "Ludicrous Speed!!" -DarkHelmet *http://www.rpi.edu/~howarr3*

Andrew P Carter

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
DL Williams (Willi...@SCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU) wrote:
: I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every

Andrew P Carter

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
DL Williams (Willi...@SCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU) wrote:
: I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
: game in there every game in there wasn't a fighter. I missed those days.

: It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be over

: when when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use
: who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
: another gamer puts in his two quarters.

Sorry about the reply before this one...accidently sent it.

Ahem. I agree totally...These newfangled fighting games can be fun,
but they get really repetitive after a while. I remember the good old days,
with those great old platform and shoot-em-up games...Anyone remember Rygar?
Or Rastan? R-Type, Robocop, Ghosts n' Goblins, Tapper, the various Donkey
Kong permutations...They don't make them like they used to...

Jay Barnson

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
In article <47bkja$l...@nntp4.u.washington.edu>,

jfl...@u.washington.edu (J. Lee) wrote:
>>determining factor was how much fun it was to play it. Anyone out there
>>remember the time when shooters (i.e. Life Force) were popular? I miss
>>those days. I hope they come back soon...<sigh>
>
>That reminds me of something else about old arcade games: novelty. Each
>game tried to sell itself by being different from the others. This was
>_very_ prominent in shooters for a while, when games like Abadox, Journey
>to Silius, Gyruss, Xexyx (something like that), and my personal favorite,
>Captain Skyhawk were all amking their own new formulas instead of
>me-too-ing, and ripping off Gradius.

Well, as an OLD Arcade-lurker, I can testify that there was an AWFUL LOT of
"me-too" type games in the arcades way back when, also. Look at all the
SPACE INVADERS / GALAXIAN clones. And racing games (TURBO, POLE POSITION,
etc. etc. etc.) and "SCRAMBLE" clones. I think the problem with arcade games
these days is that there is too much competition from the home market, and
so the suits are unwilling to take too many risks and try the novel game.
Better (for them) to go with a "tried & true" formula, and the fighting game
(with the chance to fight a stranger) grabs a lot of quarters. I'm not
agreeing with them, I'm just stating how I believe it is.

>Well, I wouldn't worry. Once we get rid of most (not all, some are
>pretty cool) of the Mortal Karnage Street Kombat Fighter part III's out
>of the way, programmers (IMO) are going to wake up and smell the coffee.

Okay, I know you didn't mean this, but speaking as a game programmer, IT'S
NOT USUALLY THE PROGRAMMERS' FAULT! They don't necessarily get to PICK the
projects they work on! When someone from management says, "Okay, we're going
to do a cool 3D fighting game with cool 3D BLOOD effects - boy won't that
sell!!!", all the programmers can do is try and do a competent job and work
hard (within the constraints of the design, which they may or may not have
any control over) to make it the best damn 3D fighting game with 3D blood
effects that they can. Or they can go looking for another job.

That being said, I have to say I agree with you, I do wish we'd get some NEW
GENRES in the arcades. There's so many new KINDS of games that can be made
with the more advanced machines. And I think the public IS getting tired of
all the fighting games, so maybe that will motivate companies to get a
little more innovative soon. Either that, or arcades will begin to
dissapear.

Jay Barnson

J. Lee

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
In article <Pine.A32.3.91.951102...@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>,
Steven C. King <sck...@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, DL Williams wrote:
>
>> I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
>> game in there every game in there wasn't a fighter. I missed those days.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong wrong. I think games like Killier Insticnt, Tekken, the
>> Street Fighters, and the Mortal Combats are all great games, but I'm sick
>> of every single time I play one these games having to take on 50 people
>> waiting to play me.
>>
>> It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be over
>> when when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use
>> who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
>> another gamer puts in his two quarters.
>>
>> I love a challenge, but I miss quality games arcade like contra and double
>> dragon when it was a relief when someone joined in.
>>
>> ENOUGH STREET FIGHTING GAMES, 2D OR 3D!
>>
>> ANY PROGRAMERS LISTENING PLEASE MAKE MORE QUALITY ARCADE GAMES THAT AREN'T
>> 2D OR 3D STREET FIGHTING GAMES
>>
>> I want to play some games as good as MK3 or Tekken that aren't Street Fighters.
>> Anyone else feel this way?
>> Can I get a witness?
>
>I can relate to this. Today's arcades seem to only carry new games.
>I've categorized these games in the following manner: vs. fighting games,
>racing games, and sports games. While a lot of these games are quite
>good, it's depressing to see that companies are not bothering to go back
>to the good old days of Gorf, Satan's Hollow, Jungle Hunt, R-Type, Pac-Man,
>Mappy, Tetris, you get the idea. I love those games, and I would
>continually go to an arcade that carried both old and new games than I
>would to an arcade that only carried new ones. However, this does bring
>up a point. It seems that society is no longer interested in the slow
>pace/strategic type games like Tetris, Klax (I love that one!), Qix. Nor
>are we no longer interested in shoot-em-up games like Tempest (yes!!),
>the Galaxian series (Galaxian, Galaga, Galaga 95 I think), Asteroids,
>Star Wars, etc. We only want player vs. player fighting games, racing
>games, and sports games. Heck, who on this newsgroup would still play
>any of the old puzzle games? I know there are some out there, but I
>think the majority wouldn't even look at them any more. The classic days
>are gone in the arcades. Now you have to rely on home entertainment for
>that.
>
>{--------------------------------------------------------------------------}
>{ Name: Steven C. King Institution: Florida State University }
>{ Addr: sck...@garnet.acns.fsu.edu Major field: MM Performance }
>{ stev...@freenet.fsu.edu Instrument: Clarinet, piano (hobby) }
>{ cu...@tweety.csv.eku.edu Last words: Gravity. Why fight it? }
>{--------------------------------------------------------------------------}

CHO WING SUM

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
to jfl...@u.washington.edu
Yeah! Whatever happen to those great games by Midway like Spy Hunter 1 and 2?
You know it's funny, just yesterday I went to this really crummy billard and
they had this great blast from the past, SILK WORM by Techmo. Remember that?
It's that 2 player side scroller where one player plays a jeep and the other
plays the helicopter trying to save the world...Wow! whatever happen to those
arcade games.

Wing "the Info.Man" Cho

Janos Horvath

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
Andrew P Carter (acar...@osf1.gmu.edu) wrote:

: Ahem. I agree totally...These newfangled fighting games can be fun,

: but they get really repetitive after a while. I remember the good old days,
: with those great old platform and shoot-em-up games...Anyone remember Rygar?
: Or Rastan? R-Type, Robocop, Ghosts n' Goblins, Tapper, the various Donkey
: Kong permutations...They don't make them like they used to...

Rastan? Its gameplay felt somewhat stiff to me. Robocop? Infuriating.
Ghosts n' Goblins? Demoralizing. Yup, those were the good old days. :-)

TAPPER!!!! A-haa - there's a cool game I loved to play at the arcade and
on my (dearly departed) C=64.

Marat Fayzullin

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
CHO WING SUM (chowi) wrote:
: Yeah! Whatever happen to those great games by Midway like Spy Hunter 1 and 2?
Holy shit, I still play SilkWorm on a Spectrum emulator, and it is
still better than any Doom reincarnation which seem to push every
other computer game out of the stores.

Gammamaste

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
Some of the best memories I have are the golden days of Rush n Attack
(remember that one?) , Time soldiers and Contra.. I love the fighting
games, but I would love to see some new stuff come out that is 2 as a team
type games.. Great thread..

Stevec...@wp.enc.net

Mark Magdamit

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95

Yeah, it is a great thread. Anyway, I love the team games as well.
Double Dragon was probably a game where you needed a second player to
save your a**. And Gauntlet wasn't fun at all without at least one more
player with you by your side.

I want to see more games with a team goal in mind. That's why I liked
NBA Jam: at it's best, you're giving your partner assists,etc.

Don't get me wrong; I love competition, and it's great to have friendly
competition when you're playing the fighting games. That's what they're
all about. But games where you last a long time, like Aliens vs Predator
in the arcade (my fave side-scrolling beat-em-up) tend to have a certain
longevity in their formula: they're easy to pick up and learn, and fun.
But to fighting games' credit, there are countless ways to defeat an
opponent, and everyone has a different strategy. But to work together
for a common goal seems really satisfying.

That's why Xenophobe, shooters, the Simpsons (the arcade version by
Konami - hated the NES Acclaim version), Revolution X, and other "team"
games will always have a special place in my heart.

Keep Gaming Alive No Matter What!
---Mark

Johnathan Ross P084

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
In article <47b81k$5...@portal.gmu.edu>,

Andrew P Carter <acar...@osf1.gmu.edu> wrote:

> Sorry about the reply before this one...accidently sent it.
>
> Ahem. I agree totally...These newfangled fighting games can be fun,
>but they get really repetitive after a while. I remember the good old days,
>with those great old platform and shoot-em-up games...Anyone remember Rygar?
>Or Rastan? R-Type, Robocop, Ghosts n' Goblins, Tapper, the various Donkey
>Kong permutations...They don't make them like they used to...

Yeah, we sound like "old timers", but I must agree with the rest of you.
Some of my personal favorites were Robotron (want to buy that one), Tempest
(want to buy that one too), and APB ?! Yes its true. That was one of the
more original games that I can remember. You know the one... You were a cop
and you had to chase bad guys around the city. You could go through the
doughnut shop for extra time. The machine had sirens on the top and stuff.
Oh yeah, forgot about Paperboy and Marble Madness. Atari used to be on top
back then... Anyway - I guess I've rambled on enough now.

-Johnathan

Views are mine, not that of my employer... blah blah blah...

Jirawat Uttayaya

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
In article <47dffq$19...@ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca> hor...@acs6.acs.ucalgary.ca (Janos Horvath) writes:
>Andrew P Carter (acar...@osf1.gmu.edu) wrote:
>
>: Ahem. I agree totally...These newfangled fighting games can be fun,

>: but they get really repetitive after a while. I remember the good old days,
>: with those great old platform and shoot-em-up games...Anyone remember Rygar?
>: Or Rastan? R-Type, Robocop, Ghosts n' Goblins, Tapper, the various Donkey
>: Kong permutations...They don't make them like they used to...
>
>Rastan? Its gameplay felt somewhat stiff to me. Robocop? Infuriating.
>Ghosts n' Goblins? Demoralizing. Yup, those were the good old days. :-)
>
>TAPPER!!!! A-haa - there's a cool game I loved to play at the arcade and
>on my (dearly departed) C=64.

Man oh man, those sweet memories. I still pine for a good game of Gauntlet.
Remember when they used to make good games? You could go into an arcade
and play a plethora of different games. The vector graphics Star Wars.
Spy Hunter. Q-bert. Donkey Kong. Marble Madness. Dragon's Lair.
Tempest. Joust. Do you think ten years from now people will be saying,
"Man oh man, I miss MK3. The sloppy controls, the chessy graphics, and
the run button. They don't make games like they used to..." Where did it
start going wrong??

Sincerely,

Jirawat Uttayaya a.k.a. Peaking Duck

Andrew Stefanski

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95

J. Lee <jfl...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>Well, I wouldn't worry. Once we get rid of most (not all, some are
>pretty cool) of the Mortal Karnage Street Kombat Fighter part III's out
>of the way, programmers (IMO) are going to wake up and smell the coffee.
>My 2 cents.

There is a very simple way to do that... Just stop playing them.

The only arcade fighter that I'm even interested in touching now
is VF2. MK3 is just kinda, well, unfun. KI got my attention with
graphics, and then turned my away quickly due to (lack of) gameplay, and
20+ hit combos. The Street Fighter series has just become old. Tekken
is ugly.

Racing games also get stale if they're the only alternative.

How about a multi-player cooperative/competitive 1st person mecha
game, sorta simplified BattleTech style?

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\
\ Andrew Stefanski University of Evansville \

Hebert Jack P

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
I enjoy fighting games as much as the next guy, but I would really love to
see some 32-bit versions of classics such as Ghouls and Ghosts, R-Type,
Contra, Mega Man, Strider, and Bionic Commando. Castlevania and Parodius
are supposed to be released by Konami for the Playstation and the Saturn
next year; maybe if these two games do well enough, other companies will
follow suit and re-introduce some of these quality games to the newest
generation of game machines...

While we're on the subject, a 32-bit Ninja Gaiden wouldn't be that bad.

Jack Hebert (jph...@ucs.usl.edu)

Richard Ramiaz Banks

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
f...@seine.cs.umd.edu writes:
> DL Williams (Willi...@SCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU) wrote:
> : I want to play some games as good as MK3 or Tekken that aren't Street Fighters.

> : Anyone else feel this way?
> : Can I get a witness?
> I second this: there is a way too many fighting games around, and none
> of them allow COOPERATIVE play. In all of them you play against the
> computer or against another player. We need something else. An
> arcade Chaos Engine maybe...Or something similar.

yeah! like whatever happended to games like ikari
warriors? not only could you work as a team, but if your
friend pissed you off, you could kill him!! oh well, it's only
a game.

Chong Yi Chern

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
Maybe arcade games are becoming more and more like a
normal sporting event where they have competitions and
timed-records and such.

Cheers!
Chong Yi Chern a.k.a cyc...@singnet.com.sg
Singapore
Me => the worst player of arcade games in town!
(Believe me! It's true) :)

Dave Glue

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
On 2 Nov 1995 15:51:05 GMT, mit...@ix.netcom.com (Mitch Brink )
wrote:

>>It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be
>over
>>when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use
>>who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
>>another gamer puts in his two quarters.
>

>I agree with you about the arcade. I LOVE Virtua Fighter 2, but I
>couldn't get good at it because as soon as I'd start to play, some punk
>would come up, put his money in, kick my butt, then continue on against
>the computer. I don't know who started this trend, but I got so pissed
>off one day I went off on a guy for doing it to me, and made him give
>me fifty cents, since he stole my game from me.

Is the problem with the actual fighting genre, or just common courtesy
of the player? I always ask before entering a game, and quite
rightfully have been refused until the player is finished playing.
That's one of the reasons I don't play those games in the arcade, to
plunk down 50 cents and hope to last 2 minutes with the computer is
one thing, compared to only lasting 10 seconds because some kid who
meditates with his Virtua Fighter handbook decides that he's just
going to waltz in. It may be a pleasent experience to waste someones
money in a short time span, as long as you're on the other end.

CooperC

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
Shut up!

Glenn Saunders

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
The mortal DL Williams wrote:
: I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
: game in there every game in there wasn't a fighter. I missed those days.

Ditto.

: It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be over

: when when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use

: who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
: another gamer puts in his two quarters.

I suppose that's one reason that arcade owners love em. They eat
quarters faster. Powerup games like Raiden steal quarters too in their
own unique way.

: ANY PROGRAMERS LISTENING PLEASE MAKE MORE QUALITY ARCADE GAMES THAT AREN'T

: 2D OR 3D STREET FIGHTING GAMES

Why must they be clones of arcade games at all? The whole joy of the
home system is that the game doesn't have to be so hard to steal your
quarter. No quarters necessary. You own the game, you set the
difficulty, you set the options. That's why Atari 2600 Space Invaders
with its 112 or so game variations has a lot more to offer than the
arcade experience. The same methods should apply to todays games
whenever possible. And I'm NOT talking about cheat codes.

I haven't played it yet, but Destruction Derby, for instance, looks like
it has quite a few options. The best videogames should be a whole bag of
gaming experience. One play should be different from the last. Games
that are extremely linear are ones that will lead to immediate boredom
when you "finish" them.

Ben Laborie

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95

The real problem is that your average new video game doesn't yield enough
money to make up for buying it. Companies could experiment more back
when they didn't cost $10,000 for a brand new cabinet. If you look at
the sales figures for arcade games, companies like capcom, sega, taito
etc. sell much fewer units than they used too. Why risk having a bad
reception when you can make a sequel or copy an existing hot genre?

The bottom line is cash. Fighting games are also money suckers- you get
nearly guaranteed continues, and all the secrets make you keep popping
the coins in (that's why they don't like FAQs). Games like wonder boy 2
or galaga let you play for a LONG time. Companies can't afford that any
more.

It goes like this -- Sega makes new, expensive game. Arcade or
Distributor who buys the game has to make a decent return on their
investment. Sega's got the "hot, new game." The customer's going to go
with what sells-- they don't want to get stuck with a huge cabinet or
expensive kit that won't make them some coin. Bye bye originality. How
many times have you seen a Starblade machine hanging out it the back of
an arcade? Bet you played it once. The arcade owner got mighty pissed
off about that one. You can imagine the sales pitch-- "I've got this
REALLY ORIGINAL GAME. It's weird, it's got all these funny little
creatures and they go around and make burgers..." -- bye bye sale.

The coin-op industry isn't there just to entertain. There is a bottom line.

--
( )
( * * ) OVNI - "Reality through Exploitation"

Message has been deleted

Janos Horvath

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
Alan Ching-Fai Wong (ala...@uclink2.berkeley.edu) wrote:

: I totally agree that there are too many fighting games. I do like to
: play them but there needs to be more variety in the arcade. I especially
: like side scrolling fighting games. I remember playing Double Dragon. I
: eventually learned to pass it with one quarter.

I USED to be able to do that, but it occurred to me that there were at
least two or three different "settings" for Double Dragon.

1. At the end, where you walk the narrow ledge to the final room/boss,
some machines push bricks or beams out of the wall at you, and some
don't. The ones that DO make it very hard to finish on one quarter.
2. The button arrangement was a triangle, correct? JUMP would be at the
top, then KICK at the lower left and PUNCH at lower right. Or vice-versa.
I learned to elbow and jump-kick with one arrangement, but always
stumbled when I found a machine programmed the other way. :-(

: It is great fun to learn to win a game with one quarter.

No kidding! I only learned to finish a select few on one credit, though:
UN Squadron, Carrier Airwing, Sky Soldiers (holy nerves), Turbo OutRun...
and a few courses of OutRunners (mostly with the yellow Diablo).

: I also liked certain shooters too. I liked 1943 because you get the WWII
: feeling and you get to watch ships and planes explode. I was pretty hard
: but I was able to pass 18 stages with one quarter.

I thought there were only _sixteen_. Usually I could play to the very
last stage, but I always got pummelled by the time I reached the final
gargantuan battleship. Aaaaaaaaaaaack! I only ever saw one guy in person
who finished it, and he actually still had his wingmen and Super Bullets
at the end! #$%&*@

: I think eventually, the fighting games craze will die down and we'll see
: something else.

Yeah, and while I'm at it, I'd like a Porsche 911 Turbo, please. :-)

Message has been deleted

Michael Lee Jennings

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
There are three types of arcade games that I am going to mention: shotters,
beat-em-ups, and fighting simulations.

SHOOTERS

In order to rejuvenate the shooting genre, make a 3-D version of your old
shooters. Just add a changeable viewpoint like behind the wheel, behind
the car, and above the car(2-D).

BEAT-ME-UPS

In order to revitalize this genre, make the intermediate and lower
opponents stronger and fewer. For example, instead of 10 creampuffs on
you, make it 3 Ryus on you.

FIGHTING SIMUALTIONS

Increase the level of interactivity. Kind of like XXX XXX XXX. Make a
new joystick/button combination since there is only the MK3 and SF2
formats available (SS and PR use the SF2 combination and Time Killers
does not count). I will discuss this in a later post.

Neblis Francois

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
You know, this is a real cool thread! I haven't thought about these
video games in a long time, but I miss them reading about them. I love
some of the fighting games that are out there but I do feel that some
of the game play value of the older arcade games has been compromised
for good graphics in the newer games. Ghouls & Ghosts was awsome; I
was almost able to beat that on one quarter. Does anyone remeber the
way that the dwarf in golden axe use to knock enemies over the head
with his axe? That move cracked me up.
One game that my friends and I used to play all the time was
Cyberball. That was awsome for team play!! The arcade we played at
held a team tounament and it was tons of fun. I think they, whoever
THEY are, should come out with some more team type games. That would
be cool.
Ahhhhh, the good old days of loitering at the arcade. I think I'll hit
one today and do some reminiscing!!!!!

Nibs

J. Lee

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
In article <47e1r0$4...@brtph500.bnr.ca>,

Johnathan Ross P084 <jdr...@bnr.ca> wrote:
>Yeah, we sound like "old timers", but I must agree with the rest of you.
>Some of my personal favorites were Robotron (want to buy that one), Tempest
>(want to buy that one too), and APB ?! Yes its true. That was one of the
>more original games that I can remember. You know the one... You were a cop
>and you had to chase bad guys around the city. You could go through the
>doughnut shop for extra time. The machine had sirens on the top and stuff.
>Oh yeah, forgot about Paperboy and Marble Madness. Atari used to be on top
>back then... Anyway - I guess I've rambled on enough now.

Yes! You know, a few years back, I got my hands on a box full of disks
labeled: "Tengen Classics", or something, with Hard Drivin', APB, and
Klax! (plus a few cheesy games) The computer version of APB rules!

>-Johnathan
>
>Views are mine, not that of my employer... blah blah blah...

J. Lee

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
In article <47e8ue$27...@cedar.evansville.edu>,

Andrew Stefanski <stef...@uenics.evansville.edu> wrote:
>In article <47bkja$l...@nntp4.u.washington.edu>,
>J. Lee <jfl...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Well, I wouldn't worry. Once we get rid of most (not all, some are
>>pretty cool) of the Mortal Karnage Street Kombat Fighter part III's out
>>of the way, programmers (IMO) are going to wake up and smell the coffee.
>>My 2 cents.
>
> There is a very simple way to do that... Just stop playing them.

I don't, after the first try.

> The only arcade fighter that I'm even interested in touching now
>is VF2. MK3 is just kinda, well, unfun. KI got my attention with
>graphics, and then turned my away quickly due to (lack of) gameplay, and
>20+ hit combos. The Street Fighter series has just become old. Tekken
>is ugly.

Gee, you mean someone besides me likes VF2 _and_ thinks Tekken blows?

> Racing games also get stale if they're the only alternative.
>
> How about a multi-player cooperative/competitive 1st person mecha
>game, sorta simplified BattleTech style?

I don't know if there's one where you live, but an arcade near here has a
nice 6-player Mech game, called something like T-Mech or something. Hope
you find it. :)

>--
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\
>\ Andrew Stefanski University of Evansville \
> \ stef...@evansville.edu Computer Science \
> \-------------------------------------------------------------------------

J. Lee

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
In article <47cnin$9...@ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>,
Janos Horvath <hor...@acs6.acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>I don't play sports games, but I think they are probably a healthy game
>type to enjoy. Fighting - ugh, enough already. Racing? Expensive. As for
>shooters, I simply go home and dig into my SNES or Turbo library for good
>times. (You are probably talking about Galaga '88, or '90 for Turbo.)

I used to play a Turbo shooting game that was soooo cool. It was like
"Ordine" or something, and your character's heads stuck out of their
ships, hair blowing in the breeze. Kind of like Area 88.

>If I want to play Asteroids on SNES, is Super GameBoy the only answer?
>:-(

'Fraid so, but hey, it comes with Missile Command for free for only 15
bucks more than it would have cost.

Schmev

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
In <b37cb$141a1...@mediasoft.net> CooperC <Coop...@mediasoft.net>
writes:

>Shut up!

Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha and whatever the others are, what the hell is
the reason for you being? CooperC, you are worth nothing with posts
like this. This is a worthwhile topic and all you can think of is
"Shut up!" Just go away.

Schmev

SirRichard

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
Regarding Gauntlet, Gauntlet IV on Sega Genesis is an exact conversion of
the Gauntlet arcade, especially with the 4-player adapter. I'm sure this
one can be found for $19-30 now. I'd like to see Gauntlet II done also.
Remember "Green Warrior Is Now It" ?
S.R.
_________ _________
/________ . __ /_______ / . _ /_ _ __ __/
_________/ / / ' / \ / /_ / / /_/| / ' /_ /

Steve Woodcock

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
J. Lee (jfl...@u.washington.edu) wrote:

: That reminds me of something else about old arcade games: novelty. Each
: game tried to sell itself by being different from the others. This was
: _very_ prominent in shooters for a while, when games like Abadox, Journey
: to Silius, Gyruss, Xexyx (something like that), and my personal favorite,
: Captain Skyhawk were all amking their own new formulas instead of
: me-too-ing, and ripping off Gradius.

That's absolutely right! Rather than touting how they're different,
games today hype how much they're "the same but better" than something
else.

"Tekken: Like VF2, but better!"

"Sega Rally: Like Ridge Racer, but better!"

"Mortal Kombat III: Like all the other MKs, but better!"

Who bloody *cares*?

: >

: Well, I wouldn't worry. Once we get rid of most (not all, some are

: pretty cool) of the Mortal Karnage Street Kombat Fighter part III's out
: of the way, programmers (IMO) are going to wake up and smell the coffee.
: My 2 cents.

I think so too, and I *certainly* hope so, since I write games for
a living. ;)

Steven
Steven Woodcock _
Senior Software Engineer, Gameware _____C .._.
Lockheed Martin Information Systems Group ____/ \___/
Phone: 407-826-6986 <____/\_---\_\ "Ferretman"
E-mail: wood...@gate.net
wood...@escmail.orl.mmc.com
Web: http://www.gate.net/~woodcock/wyrdhaven.html
Disclaimer: My opinions in NO way reflect the opinions of the
Lockheed Martin Information Systems Group, although
(like Rush Limbaugh) they should. ;)

Ludmila D Pavlina

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, CooperC wrote:

> Shut up!
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

****** ***** ******=A0 * *=20
* * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * *
* * * * ****** **
* * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * *
****** ***** * * * *

-Ken Oshigawa

DarkHelmet

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95

|> Does anyone remember the game that had a joystick for motion and a spinning
|> disc that you held down to shoot? It was a futuristic side-scrolling shoot-em
|> up with you floating (anti-grav or somesuch0 with a weapon satellite with you.
|> The first boss was the Dust Dragon. A friend and I took that baby to the
|> max. He got the laser, I took the flamethrower and we covered each other.
|> [sigh]
|>
|> Jens "Nosalgia. I had that once" Hage

Forgotton Realms?? Forgotten Worlds?? Something along those lines...
I remember it, but didn't play that much.
--
Robert James Howard Iii (still can't get this signature thing straight)

Austin Loomis

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
In article <47f8pc$l...@mckinley.cit.macalstr.edu>,
Jens A. Hage <JH...@apollo.cc.macalstr.edu> wrote:
>Mark Magdamit (ri...@u.washington.edu) wrote:
>

>: On 3 Nov 1995, Gammamaste wrote:

[...]
>: Double Dragon was probably a game where you needed a second player to
>: save your a**. And Gauntlet wasn't fun at all without at least one more
>: player with you by your side.
>
>Does anyone remember the game that had a joystick for motion and a spinning
>disc that you held down to shoot? It was a futuristic side-scrolling shoot-em
>up with you floating (anti-grav or somesuch0 with a weapon satellite with you.
>The first boss was the Dust Dragon. A friend and I took that baby to the
>max. He got the laser, I took the flamethrower and we covered each other.
>[sigh]

I think this might be _Forgotten Worlds_. Capcom. Home version for the
Genesis released by Sega. (Then again, I could be talking through my hat
[I was going to use another word, but Scott might be reading].)

>Jens "Nosalgia. I had that once" Hage

Pleased to meet you, Jens. Scott Johnson has (I hesitate to use the word
"warned") told me about you. Has he warned you about me?

Brian and Kevin Igoe

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95

>I enjoy fighting games as much as the next guy, but I would really
love to
>see some 32-bit versions of classics such as Ghouls and Ghosts,
R-Type,
>Contra, Mega Man, Strider, and Bionic Commando. Castlevania and
Parodius
>are supposed to be released by Konami for the Playstation and the
Saturn
>next year; maybe if these two games do well enough, other companies
will
>follow suit and re-introduce some of these quality games to the newest
>generation of game machines...
>
>While we're on the subject, a 32-bit Ninja Gaiden wouldn't be that
bad.

I would only like that if they sold them in three-in-one-cd packs.
Those games just aren't worth the fifty bucks anymore. If they charged
fifty bucks a piece, it be more worth it to run out, by an old Nintendo
for $40 and buy each game for $10-$15.

Kevin

SirRichard

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
Life Force 2 (known as Salamander 2) has been on test in Japan and has
gotten favorable reactions. Hope it comes out here. 1942's new update is
called 19XX.
I think there are a few too many fighting games- I like some of them such
as TKOF'95, MK3, FFS, & Tekken- but there needs to be some of the other
types of games. Darius 3 never came out here but hopefully is Saturn
bound (in Japan it's coming out soon).

Andrew Stefanski

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
In article <47fthc$b...@ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>,

Janos Horvath <hor...@acs6.acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote:

>: It is great fun to learn to win a game with one quarter.
>
>No kidding! I only learned to finish a select few on one credit, though:
>UN Squadron, Carrier Airwing, Sky Soldiers (holy nerves), Turbo OutRun...
>and a few courses of OutRunners (mostly with the yellow Diablo).

Sometimes I think I had more fun with the games that you just
never finished. The game just got tougher and faster until you were so
badly outdone that you couldn't make it. Where the challenge was just to
see how much farther you could go.

And I miss the days when the secrets in games were the wierd
levels, bonus rounds, or changed graphics you got when you made it really
far. The split screen levels in Pac-Man. Invisible webs in Tempest.
The machine doing strange things just before flipping Centipede. Where
the secrets were at the level of folklore, because only the best got
there. When you wanted to keep playing, to find out what strange stuff
might lie ahead. Not when the latest secret was
up-down-up-down-block-block-high punch-low punch-kick machine-insert more
money-fail-try again.

Jeff Jimmerson

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
stef...@uenics.evansville.edu (Andrew Stefanski) wrote:

> And I miss the days when the secrets in games were the wierd
>levels, bonus rounds, or changed graphics you got when you made it really
>far. The split screen levels in Pac-Man. Invisible webs in Tempest.
>The machine doing strange things just before flipping Centipede. Where
>the secrets were at the level of folklore, because only the best got
>there. When you wanted to keep playing, to find out what strange stuff
>might lie ahead. Not when the latest secret was up-down-block-block-

>high punch-low punch-kick machine-insert more money-fail-try again.

Man, spoken like a true gamer. I do like new tricks in home video
games but I also vividly remember the "folklore" that you allude to.
I got to the split screen in Pac-Man (many, many keys into it...) and
the invisible webs in Tempest. Perhaps it was because I was so young
and perspective-less but that day in the arcade that I played Pac-Man
for hours on one quarter until I got to the split screen means more
than a 9 hit combo that I can do in MK3 because I have an internet
account and have read the FAQ.

(jj)

Doran Kyle Hanert

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
James Margaris (js...@cornell.edu) wrote:
: ...Chopped-Liver, Golden Axe, Victory Road, UN Squadron, Alien
: Syndrome...Those were the days.

Pardon my ignorance, but what was "Chopped-Liver"? That title has me
rolling is tears!

: Where is Axelay 2? If any game deserves a sequel, it's Axelay.

Other suggestions (for SNES):
- Space Megaforce II with 2P simultaneous!
- Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie II with 2P simultaneous!
- Parodius I and II in English! (fat chance)

Chris Butler

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95

Yeah... I miss the times When you would play a game like Gaunlet or
xenaphobe, getting your A** kicked, then some total stranger would
appear, and pop in .25 and help you out, then another person.... then
by the time beat the game, you knew the people beside you, they just
helpped you save the world ;)

only Neo Geo has held true to RPGs and Side scrolling games still in
the arcade... like 8-ball. the last remake of an arcade game i've seen
was Dragon's lair on CD in the arcade.

I've been hearing of a Gaunlet for PC coming out soon and you will be
able to play over the modem, network, and Internet... cant wait... :)

Doc -need one?

Peter R Cook

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
CooperC <Coop...@mediasoft.net> writes:

>Shut up!

Kill yourself.

--
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
PRC Records, PRC Music(BMI). PO Box 627 Marlborough, MA 01752.

Martin Rebas

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
hor...@acs6.acs.ucalgary.ca (Doran Kyle Hanert) writes:

>James Margaris (js...@cornell.edu) wrote:
>: ...Chopped-Liver, Golden Axe, Victory Road, UN Squadron, Alien
>: Syndrome...Those were the days.

>Pardon my ignorance, but what was "Chopped-Liver"? That title has me
>rolling is tears!

He probably meant "Shoplifter".

/Martin
--
--- Martin Rebas, MartinSoft *** d3r...@dtek.chalmers.se *** ---

Visit my home page at
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d3rebas/index.html

Sean McBride

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
>I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
>game in there every game in there wasn't a fighter. I missed those days.
>
>Don't get me wrong wrong. I think games like Killier Insticnt, Tekken, the
>Street Fighters, and the Mortal Combats are all great games, but I'm sick
>of every single time I play one these games having to take on 50 people
>waiting to play me.

It all these little kiddies who just can't get enough of beating the shit
out of each other. Their parents just keep giving them money so they
jjust keep on playing.

H H | | |
| | | Sean McBride | |
H-C-C-O-H | cwa...@cam.org | "Total destructive interference" |
| | | Montreal, Canada | "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" |
H H | | |
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Andrew Stefanski

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
In article <47hjrd$i...@news.computek.net>,

Jeff Jimmerson <dou...@computek.net> wrote:

>Man, spoken like a true gamer. I do like new tricks in home video
>games but I also vividly remember the "folklore" that you allude to.
>I got to the split screen in Pac-Man (many, many keys into it...) and
>the invisible webs in Tempest. Perhaps it was because I was so young
>and perspective-less but that day in the arcade that I played Pac-Man
>for hours on one quarter until I got to the split screen means more
>than a 9 hit combo that I can do in MK3 because I have an internet
>account and have read the FAQ.

I still have to sit and wish I was a tad bit older back then, so
I could have spent the money and the time to enjoy the real classics.
Sky Shark was the first game that I really got to spend time on. That
was about the era when the games started ending regularly. "Congrats!
You win!", which means, go play something else...

I want games with the true secrets back again! No fancy 300-page
infinite button combo lists, no 30-secret character games!

Maybe we can talk Williams/Midway into porting the Jag's Defender
2000 to the arcade... It's just what I think the arcade needs!

snm...@vmsmail.isc.rit.edu

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
Will you guys quit whining and get over it. The old style of video games where
you get to play as long as you want and do whatever you want is dead. All
games are going to be time limited or have a method to allow for quick games
so another person can play a minute later. Fighting games are perfect because
a new player can put in his dough every minute. This is what makes money,
so think of it that way. I think the MK series made over a billion or so. Do
you think a game like "Tapper" or "Contra" would have made a billion?

As far as originality goes, the originality comes from the art, rather than the
game engine itself. Plus, you can rehash everything every few years because
a totally new batch of kids reach arcade age every few years. Kinda like how
Disney re-releases movies every seven years because they have a completely
new audience for it.

peace,

Bobby Mozumder

Message has been deleted

Robert Merritt

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
p...@world.std.com (Peter R Cook) wrote:

>CooperC <Coop...@mediasoft.net> writes:

>>Shut up!

> Kill yourself.

Hmm.. interesting move. Is that u-u-l-r-a-x????

:)
Rob m

James Margaris

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95

> : ...Chopped-Liver, Golden Axe, Victory Road, UN Squadron, Alien
> : Syndrome...Those were the days.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but what was "Chopped-Liver"? That title has me
> rolling is tears!

I was refering to "Chop Lifter" :)

James Margaris

Ben Levy

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95

Well, Actually I think it is u-u-l-r-a-a!!
It's really cool, You eat yourself !!!

Andrew Stefanski

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
In article <47j76v$o...@news.isc.rit.edu>, <snm...@vmsmail.isc.rit.edu>
babbled meaninglessly:

>Will you guys quit whining and get over it. The old style of video games where
>you get to play as long as you want and do whatever you want is dead.

Let's not forget that the style of games where you get to play
something different appears to be dead. Now it's just how many fighters
can you have.

>All
>games are going to be time limited or have a method to allow for quick games
>so another person can play a minute later.

Perhaps this is why arcades are going downhill. Because people
get tired is putting 75 cents into a machine to see two minutes of pretty
graphics while the game rips them into shreds. I'm waiting to see the
video game manufacturers attempt legal barriers against game FAQs so they
can sell books themselves to make money... "Midway's Guild to MK4 -
lists all 450 hidden characters, 600 secret moves, and the 1000 codes!
Only $99.95!"

> Fighting games are perfect because
>a new player can put in his dough every minute. This is what makes money,
>so think of it that way. I think the MK series made over a billion or so. Do
>you think a game like "Tapper" or "Contra" would have made a billion?

But then again, I suspect people played them longer than MK. I'd
still pump money into a Robotron, Tempest, Rastan, or other games. MK
repulses me now.

>As far as originality goes, the originality comes from the art, rather than the
>game engine itself. Plus, you can rehash everything every few years because
>a totally new batch of kids reach arcade age every few years. Kinda like how
>Disney re-releases movies every seven years because they have a completely
>new audience for it.

Original art does absolutely NOTHING to game originality. I
think button placement and selection does a lot more.

Rehash everything every few years? Try every few months. Unless
something is done soon, I think arcades will kill themselves by trying to
have all the latest racers and fighters. It's a very good day when you
find an arcade with a decent pinball machine.

Damone

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
snm...@vmsmail.isc.rit.edu wrote:
: Will you guys quit whining and get over it.

Not until you put a question mark at the end of a question.

: The old style of video games where

: you get to play as long as you want and do whatever you want is dead.

Thank god you have such difinative sources in the gaming
industry. Would you like to list them?

: All

: games are going to be time limited or have a method to allow for quick games

: so another person can play a minute later. Fighting games are perfect because

: a new player can put in his dough every minute.

As opposed to the endless continues people put in to shooters and
scrollers to finish the game.

: This is what makes money,

: so think of it that way. I think the MK series made over a billion or so. Do
: you think a game like "Tapper" or "Contra" would have made a billion?

If there were enough pre-teens and Tapper had 'kewl falateeze.'

: As far as originality goes, the originality comes from the art, rather than the
: game engine itself.

Congradulations, as this is the most ignorant thing in your post.
Originality comes from game engines, not from art. If you put Ryu's
graphic over Pac-man's graphic, it is still Pac-man.

Damone
dam...@ios.com

Gammamaste

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
Guess what I saw when I went to the arcade yesterday.. Sitting in
the corner facing aware from everyone looking pitiful was an old
favorite..

Karate Champ.

YES!!!!

Stevec...@wp.enc.net

Jeff Powell

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
Martin Rebas (d3r...@dtek.chalmers.se) wrote:

: hor...@acs6.acs.ucalgary.ca (Doran Kyle Hanert) writes:

: >James Margaris (js...@cornell.edu) wrote:
: >: ...Chopped-Liver, Golden Axe, Victory Road, UN Squadron, Alien
: >: Syndrome...Those were the days.

: >Pardon my ignorance, but what was "Chopped-Liver"? That title has me
: >rolling is tears!

: He probably meant "Shoplifter".

Nope, it was "Topshifter". hehehehehe

"Danbei Beam!" ---'--<@
pow...@crd.ge.com
@>--`--- "Danbei Jump!"

Adam Wood

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
>I totally agree that there are too many fighting games. I do like to
>play them but there needs to be more variety in the arcade. I especially
>like side scrolling fighting games. I remember playing Double Dragon. I
>eventually learned to pass it with one quarter. It is great fun to
>learn to win a game with one quarter. I also liked Golden Axe 2. I

Three words: Warriors of Fate.

>Do any of you guys remember Shinobi?
>This was a really great game. It was long and challenging and there were
>a variety of enemies, stages, and situations. Great music too. I haven't
>seen a game as good as this one yet.

Two words: Rolling Thunder.

>The best side scroller on a game system I have played was Streets of Rage
>2, and 3 for Sega. Too bad Nintendo can't seem to come up with an
>impressive side scrolling fighting game. Final Fight can get boring
>because there aren't too many moves.

Two words: Mutation Nation.
Or, for your NES, three words: River City Ransom.

>I also liked certain shooters too. I liked 1943 because you get the WWII
>feeling and you get to watch ships and planes explode. I was pretty hard
>but I was able to pass 18 stages with one quarter. Then there was Lifeforce.
>That was neat.

One word: Daioh.

>It is just fun to master a game and last long and play it for a long time
>without worrying that a human will join in and kick your butt. It is really
>fun to win a game with one quarter. Maybe they should leave fighting games
>just for game systems so that you don't have to put in a million quaters
>and people can challenge each other as much as they want, or only play
>the computer if they prefer to.

Three words: One Must Fall.

the Zotmeister Elite
--
Just beyond the border of your waking mind, there lies another time
where darkness and light are one, and as you tread the halls of sanity,

J. Lee

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
In article <47lo49$1...@bubbla.uri.edu>, Adam Wood <wo...@cs.uri.edu> wrote:
>>I totally agree that there are too many fighting games. I do like to
>>play them but there needs to be more variety in the arcade. I especially
>>like side scrolling fighting games. I remember playing Double Dragon. I
>>eventually learned to pass it with one quarter. It is great fun to
>>learn to win a game with one quarter. I also liked Golden Axe 2. I
>
>Three words: Warriors of Fate.

One word: yup.

>>Do any of you guys remember Shinobi?
>>This was a really great game. It was long and challenging and there were
>>a variety of enemies, stages, and situations. Great music too. I haven't
>>seen a game as good as this one yet.
>
>Two words: Rolling Thunder.

Yuh. That and Elevator Action. Rolling Thunder was cool 'cause it had
such a "Goldfinger" feel to it. I half expected to hear, "No, Mr. Bond.
I expect you to die."

>>The best side scroller on a game system I have played was Streets of Rage
>>2, and 3 for Sega. Too bad Nintendo can't seem to come up with an
>>impressive side scrolling fighting game. Final Fight can get boring
>>because there aren't too many moves.
>
>Two words: Mutation Nation.
>Or, for your NES, three words: River City Ransom.

Yes! Technos almost attained godhood with that one.

>>It is just fun to master a game and last long and play it for a long time
>>without worrying that a human will join in and kick your butt. It is really
>>fun to win a game with one quarter. Maybe they should leave fighting games
>>just for game systems so that you don't have to put in a million quaters
>>and people can challenge each other as much as they want, or only play
>>the computer if they prefer to.
>
>Three words: One Must Fall.

Two words: Karate Champ.

#666 - The Gridiron Warrior : "I mean, who am us, anyway?" -Firesign Theater
jfl...@u.washington.edu : NARF! SPOOOOOOON! FNORD!
Jerry: "You've got that special thing that only comes from here."
Yakko: "Oh, that's just a spaghetti stain." -Animaniacs

Danyaw Chen

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
CHO WING SUM (chowi) wrote:
: Yeah! Whatever happen to those great games by Midway like Spy Hunter 1 and 2?
: You know it's funny, just yesterday I went to this really crummy billard and
: they had this great blast from the past, SILK WORM by Techmo. Remember that?
: It's that 2 player side scroller where one player plays a jeep and the other
: plays the helicopter trying to save the world...Wow! whatever happen to those
: arcade games.

: Wing "the Info.Man" Cho

The jeep sucks! The jeep sucks!
But seriously how did you play it? I kicked ass with the chopper, but I
was horrid with the jeep....maybe the whole jump thing threw me off.

Anyways as for my contribution to the nostalgia:

Sidearms: tell me this was not the coolest game! Piles of weapons and levels
( Does it end? ) not to mention that this was the best looking game out
there for it's time! That was truly a fun game!
Also on my list of classics:
Legend of Kage
Double Dragon( The original, all the sequels just didn't do it justice )
Heavy Barrel
And Magician Lord prior to the flood of fighters.

DL Williams

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
In article <47apd9$7...@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, mit...@ix.netcom.com
(Mitch Brink ) wrote:

I don't know who started this trend, but I got so pissed
> off one day I went off on a guy for doing it to me, and made him give
> me fifty cents, since he stole my game from me.

I started this trend, and I'm suprised so many people feel way I do.
But in regards to what you did, I must say

BRAVO!

Peace I'm out.
\\//
-DL

--
Peace I'm out.
\\//

Flynn

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
I gotta say I agree wholeheartedly with this topic.

I think the only fighting game I really enjoy nowadays is Tekken 2,
because it represents, to me, what the spirit of the fighting game genre
should be. Interesting moves in the real martial arts vein, not too
difficult to learn, harder to master. Of course, there are so many
fighting games out there because there are so many gamers who don't play
much of anything else in the arcades, but it's a vicious cycle. They
don't play much else because there's not much else in the arcade to play,
the game manufacturers want to make money so they make more fighting
games thinking that's what everyone in the arcade is playing which is
true because the players that like games like Contra have left the arcade
scene long ago.

I walk into ANY arcade now, and it's at LEAST 65% fighting games, and
that's no joke. It's also why arcades are less popular than they used to
be. Innovation has changed its meaning in recent years. I'm not sure how
the industry would define innovative now. Killer Instinct I guess. *shrug*

-KD

Steven C. King

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
On 5 Nov 1995 snm...@vmsmail.isc.rit.edu wrote:

> Will you guys quit whining and get over it. The old style of video games where
> you get to play as long as you want and do whatever you want is dead. All

> games are going to be time limited or have a method to allow for quick games
> so another person can play a minute later. Fighting games are perfect because

> a new player can put in his dough every minute. This is what makes money,

> so think of it that way. I think the MK series made over a billion or so. Do
> you think a game like "Tapper" or "Contra" would have made a billion?

You do point out something that's now common in many forms of business
these days. It's my interpretation, but Midway/Williams/Capcom/etc. now
make games for the sake of making money, not for the sake of satisfying
the arcade owner's customers. Sure, there are great new games out now,
but what you said about the companies' attitudes is probably true.
"Let's write a game that'll make major bucks! If it's another fighting
game, so what?! They'll play it again and again!!!" Oh well. It's just
a thought. Cheers......

{--------------------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Name: Steven C. King Institution: Florida State University }
{ Addr: sck...@garnet.acns.fsu.edu Major field: MM Performance }
{ stev...@freenet.fsu.edu Instrument: Clarinet, piano (hobby) }
{ cu...@tweety.csv.eku.edu Last words: Gravity. Why fight it? }
{--------------------------------------------------------------------------}

Onaje U. Everett

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
Jens A. Hage (JH...@apollo.cc.macalstr.edu) wrote:
: Mark Magdamit (ri...@u.washington.edu) wrote:

: : On 3 Nov 1995, Gammamaste wrote:

: Does anyone remember the game that had a joystick for motion and a spinning
: disc that you held down to shoot? It was a futuristic side-scrolling shoot-em
: up with you floating (anti-grav or somesuch0 with a weapon satellite with you.
: The first boss was the Dust Dragon. A friend and I took that baby to the
: max. He got the laser, I took the flamethrower and we covered each other.
: [sigh]

Ah yes, the second boss of Forgotten Worlds is Dust Dragon. The first boss
is the Paramecium. This game was the BOMB. It was so much fun. Anyone still
like U.N. Squadron or Carrier Airwing?

Onaje

Elaine & Ed

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
You are right-there are too many fighting games and they are all
marketed to young boys and adolescent males. What a scam! You
guys pay money to buy electronic toys with which you brainwash
yourselves from toddler to teenager to equate fighting and winning
with the be all and end all of your life's desire.

Then, when you are 18, its a greased chute to the biggest game of all,
the US military. But this time the ammo is real and your bodies are at
risk! Lotsa luck being pawns in the corporate wars ("fighting for
democracy-read "fighting to make some corporado even richer than
he is")!

Be all you can be-a living person, father, husband, brother, friend and
hundreds of other things, and not a prostitute of the military machine
which does not give a damn about you-look around at all the crazy
homeless vets and see your future unless you wise up fast before the
next war! Life is for living. You own your own lives! No one has the
power to tell you what to believe unless you let them.

Elaine & Ed

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95

Elaine & Ed

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95

Theodore Patri Perrotti

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95

: >I love competition. But there comes a time when it just becomes too much.
: >My friends and I used to play Street Fighter Alpha religiously. But now,
: >we're back into normal, side-scrolling cooperative fighting games like
: >the arcade version of Aliens Vs. Predator. There, your quarter would
: >definitely last longer because the other player is there to help you
: >survive. In my opinion, this is where I have the most fun at the arcade,
: >where your friends all join in to defeat a common foe--the computer. I
: >miss Final Fight and G.I. Joe...<wipes tear from eye>

One of my favorite cooperative arcade fighters was Teenage Mutant Ninja
Turtles. Sometimes I'd start playing by myself, and then be joined by 2
or 3 others. We'd cover each other's backs, and when a foot soldier
grabbed hold of one of us, whoever was closest would take the foot
soldier out. By the time we got to the game's final boss (where you're
attacked by the real Shredder and several false ones), our hearts would
be pounding and we'd be telling each other things like, "I think he's the
real one! Get him!" What a rush that was!
"April 1st: the one day each year we're reminded of what we are the other
364,"-Samuel Clemens (aka, Mark Twain), "Life on the Mississippi"

Theodore P. Perrotti te...@wpi.wpi.edu (all mail forwarded to here)
perrot...@asme.org

Lifetime brother of Alpha Phi Omega, Omicron Iota chapter, Worcester
Polytechnic Institute

dal...@nando.net

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
>>I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
>>game in there every game in there wasn't a fighter. I missed those days.

Me too, all Fighting games are the same, you try to beat the crap out of the other
dude or computer player.

MASHOOD KHAN

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95

>How can you say the jeep was crap? it kicked ass anyway nostalgia

Shinobi: Many a happy lunch hour was spent on this beauty

Dragon Ninja: In retrospect it was probrably crap, but hey i was young
and it was worth playing for the "We are bad" sample.

Karnov: What on earth happened to him, the last I saw of him was in some
crap called Fighters History.

Tiger Road: Very cool.

Mickey: You know the old Konami one with the teacher.

Yie ar Kung Fu: Buchu rules.

Mash

Edwin Jose Reynolds

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
In article <47ef23$a...@nnrp2.news.primenet.com>,
Glenn Saunders <kri...@primenet.com> wrote:
>The mortal DL Williams wrote:
>: I remember the old days when I could walk into an arcade and almost every
>: It used to be when you'd play an arcaded game and the game would be over
>: when when the computer finally got the best of you, but for those of use
>: who aren't fighting game masters, the game could be over as soon as
>: another gamer puts in his two quarters.

I agree. I don't even go into the arcades anymore. Always seems I get
stuck playing the people that donate their lives to MK, KI, etc. and I'm
wasted with one of their super-hyper 7,873 hit combos or something. I
prefer to buy the home versions and practice up where I get a fair shake
against the comupter A.I.

>it has quite a few options. The best videogames should be a whole bag of
>gaming experience. One play should be different from the last. Games
>that are extremely linear are ones that will lead to immediate boredom
>when you "finish" them.

Agreed again. One game that comes to mind is Tempest 2000 on Jaguar. This
game has almost infinite replayability. Bust-a-Move is another,
especially with 2 players. It's a different game everytime you play.

Seems that arcade operators are interested solely in making money and
fighters do this better than anything else. They could give two shits
about variety and originality and eventually I think this could come back
to haunt them.

J. Lee

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
Believeee it or not, I just played an intriguing, original, New game. (I
am not making this up.) It's a golf game that uses a trackball and
looks a lot like that office time-waster, Links. The only problem is
that $.50 pays for 3 holes, no matter how well you do on them. Oh, well,
at least it's not "Golf Kombat".

Ralph Barbagallo

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
In article <47n2ee$m...@nyx10.cs.du.edu>,
Ken Arromdee <karr...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:

>Heh. There's already a second generation....
>
>There are people who are still upset at the side-scroller trend, and
>reminisce about the days where gameplay was everything, and you didn't
>memorize hidden items, get powerups (and lose all your lives when you lose
>one, because your other lives couldn't survive without powerups), or fight the
>terrain. Or have areas that you got tired of, which you had to spend 30
>minutes going through before reaching the areas you really wanted to play.
>
>I still haven't gotten the urge to finish Sonic or Bonk's Adventure yet,
>despite owning them for years....

Yeah, well there are several generations of classic games now.
The 2nd era of classic games is what a lot of this thread has been about.
Side scrollers like Shinobi, Magician Lord, etc. Scrolling shooters etc.
And the mid-late '80s Atari Games stuff like Marble Madness, 720,
Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters etc. (AG was always a supreme
creative force in arcade games)
However, back in the late '80s there were way too many of those
too. There were way too many Final Fight rip offs and uninspired shooters
for my tastes. Although I don't think it was quite as bad as it is now with
fighting games.

The 'golden age' classics rock...Defender, Asteroids, Spy Hunter,
etc. They are my absolute favorites. But there are also 'silver age'
classics out there that I'd like to see a comeback of. Y'know, Black Tiger,
Strider, R-Type, etc. But too much of anything isn't good. If the industry
turned around and made 4,000 R-Type clones a year, you'd hear the same
thing.

It's not that the entire fighting genre is bad, it's that there's
no alternative these days in arcades.

But, the arcades are doomed. You can't have games where if you're
good, you play longer. Operators don't care about the games, they want
you in and out as soon as possible, just as long as you dump quarters in
the machine. If you spend all day on one quarter, you're not making him
any money. If you learn all the 'secrets' in a fighting game, the core
gameplay isn't enough to keep you interested, so they have to add chip
revisions which change the moves and add new 'secrets' to keep you playing.
If only they'd make the game good enough so they wouldn't have to rely
on 'secrets' to keep players interested. Coin-op manufacturers are whining
about people finding out the moves too quickly etc. hence a sharp dropoff
in profits after the game's release. Well how about making the actual game
interesting, eh? Perhaps that's a place to start?

Unless arcades start providing some new and different forms of
entertainment (this proposed arcade communications network could lead
to some nice multiplayer games and tournaments), I see the arcade industry
remaning in the dark ages.

--
Ralph A. Barbagallo III --- rbar...@cs.uml.edu --- Only AMIGA makes it
**"Orange Lazarus will rise again, Slushmaster!"***** Possible... *
R.I.P. Jay Miner: June 20th 1994 Father of the 2600, Atari 8bit, Amiga
*Home of the TRON and Starcade shrines*http://www.cs.uml.edu/~rbarbaga*

Andrew Stefanski

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
In article <47o3jv$h...@lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>,
Peter Michael Kretschman <pkre...@umich.edu> wrote:

>Ahh, yes... the days when "diversity" wasn't an alien word to America's
>gaming centers... :)

MetroCross: Saw it in only one place... And for some reason, it was damn
fun. Never did get that far in it.

Inferno: Another rare game that I couldn't get enough of... Sort of a
3/4 perspective Robotron-ish style medieval game... Really tough to
describe.

Tron: Diversity in the game itself! Tons of fun... :)

Discs of Tron: Yet another game that I couldn't find very often, but
really enjoyed. I used to down Sark many, MANY times...

Carlos Diaz (CS)

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95

On 4 Nov 1995, SirRichard wrote:

> Regarding Gauntlet, Gauntlet IV on Sega Genesis is an exact conversion of
> the Gauntlet arcade, especially with the 4-player adapter. I'm sure this
> one can be found for $19-30 now. I'd like to see Gauntlet II done also.
> Remember "Green Warrior Is Now It" ?
Gauntlet! Now there was an original arcade game. And part two just was a
better sequel. Not some cheap enhancment like those Street Fighter ones
past, present and yet to come (PERISH THE THOUGHT, ANOTHER STREET
FIGHTER??!!)

Mark Magdamit

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95

Hey! I saw the same game! The program team also programmed The Three
Stooges for the Commodore Amiga. The NES version sucked (it was ported
over by another team, I think). Don't get me wrong - I love my NES!
But if you ever get the chance to play the Amiga version, do. It's
hilarious!

Message has been deleted

Joseph J. Charles

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
In article <47l6c2$l...@rdsunx.crd.ge.com>, pow...@crd.ge.com (Jeff Powell) writes:
|> They don't make games like Gauntlet or Joust anymore because people like me
|> went to the arcade, put in 1 quarter, and played the game all day long.

Well gosh darn it Jeff, you went and ruined it for everybody!!
Joe Charles (cha...@image.kodak.com), Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester, New York

Craig Bertolucci

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95

Maybe the reason fighting games are so popular is because it's a
safe way to release agression. I wonder if anyone has actually settled
a matter over a fighting game as opposed to actually fighting. Also
it's a fun way to attain prestiege among your peer group. AND it's
completely un-gender-biased. Everyone starts out equal in a fighting
game. They say that video games and computers have caused some to
retreat from society but I've interacted with more people (of all shapes,
sizes, and colors) in an arcade that I probably wouldn't interact with
anywhere else.
As for some of the comments about not getting a chance to play in
a group of 20 fighting game veterens.... I've always been under the
assumption that it was proper ettiquet to wait until the current player
was killed before hitting the start button. If you had permission you
could come in right before they died. Of course I always perfer losing
my ass to a real person as opposed to the computer. And I definately
prefer beating a real person over beating the computer any day.
By the way, has no one else played Weaponlord yet? And if so
let's chat it up out there. You don't have to be able to write a FAQ to
post your thoughts.

J. Box

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
Brady Prigge <prig...@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:

>Up,Up, Down,Down, Left,Right, Left,Right B A Start !!!

:)

The old Konami generic secret code. Those were the days of the ole
NES where you could almost be sure that if it was a Konami game this
code or derivative would be in it. Was Konami the first company to do
this?
I've been following this thread and am glad that I'm not the only one
who thinks that arcades are getting boring with all the me to fighting
games and race sims. What I wouldn't do for Contra, Super Contra,
Black Tiger (never did get to play that much, got stolen from our
local arcade a few weeks after they got it), Double Dragon, GAUNTLET,
Final Fight, Ikari Warriors, and most other side scrolling kick the
crap out of the stooges then get your ass kicked by the bosses game
and overhead shooters (Time Soldiers anyone?). I would kill if the
campus arcade would get Aliens Vs Predator, all we got is Knights of
the ROund which I hate.
Now all we have are fighting games that require you to be some damn
hand contortionist and know how to mash buttons at the speed of sound
to get that 10 hit redizzy combo off so you can waste your oppenent in
5 seconds. What happen to the old days where you could go into the
arcade with 5 bucks and be there for five hours and get diversity. I
still miss playing Night something, this behind the flying vehicle
shooter were you got to choose your destination and the last level you
always got a new vehicle or enhancement. I got so good at that, that
I could plop in my $.25 and play all the way through it everytime.
Arcade owner hated me, I'd go in there and play it so that I could see
all the levels and endings.
Now the only fun game in the campus arcade is KOF95 which is fun but
the controls suck and you don't have to rely upon combos to get
anywheres.
I'd also kill to have them get the Star Wars Pinball game, now that
was the best pinball machine that I've ever seen.

*-------------*-----------------------------------------------------------*
|Jason Box | "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack | |bo...@rpi.edu | ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched |
| | C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. |
|This space | All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in |
| for | rain. Time to die." |
| rent! | --Roy Batty |
| | _Blade Runner_ |
*-------------*-----------------------------------------------------------*

Richard B. Berry

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
The first real fighting game I played was Double Dragon. A friend and I
spent an hour on it and spent quite a few quarters. We finally got to
the end and our characters are just standing there. No one to fight. I
got a clue faster than my friend and promptly stomped his character.
Got the girl and that was it. Boy were we pissed. The machine ate all
the remaining time and credits. Never played that one again or any
other of the type.

The best arcade I ever went to was Goldie's Tavern on 45th in Seattle WA
during the early 80s. First, because it was a tavern, you did not have
the rugrats to distract you. They always had 6-8 pins and 50-60 video
games. This place was so popular, that Nintendo used it to test some of
its arcade games. I'd go in one week and this really strange machine
would be there, and the next week it was gone. Always the latest and
greatest machines. And best of all, Sunday night was hotdog night -
large dogs at 25 cents a piece. A poor college student's feast.

Nowadays, all the arcades look the same and the theme of every game is
to beat the crap out of someone in a one on one situation. Bring back
the goo ole days.

scott

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <47mihr$4...@emerald.oz.net>,

Elaine & Ed <ela...@mail.got.net> wrote:

>Be all you can be-a living person, father, husband, brother, friend and
>hundreds of other things, and not a prostitute of the military machine
>which does not give a damn about you-look around at all the crazy
>homeless vets and see your future unless you wise up fast before the
>next war! Life is for living. You own your own lives! No one has the
>power to tell you what to believe unless you let them.

Wow, talk about a twisting a topic! Fighting Games=Enlistment???
Kind of like Rock Music=Satanism

Must have had a bad tour...

(Apologies to those who *have* had bad tours, of course...)

Scott
--
I wish I was in Tiajuana,
Eating barbequed iguana.

.oO FactorY Oo.

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <47o3jv$h...@lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu> pkre...@umich.edu (Peter Michael Kretschman) writes:
>In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.951107110159.1421C-100000@leofric>,

>MASHOOD KHAN <m...@coventry.ac.uk> wrote:
>>On 6 Nov 1995, Danyaw Chen wrote:
>>> CHO WING SUM (chowi) wrote:
>>> Double Dragon( The original, all the sequels just didn't do it justice )
True the first was the best, although it wasn't the best game of all time.

>>> Heavy Barrel
A truely brilliant game.

>>> And Magician Lord prior to the flood of fighters.

Repeat after me hard, but bloody good.

>>Shinobi: Many a happy lunch hour was spent on this beauty

The sequel, Shadow Dancer, had the unusual property of being just as
original.

>>Dragon Ninja: In retrospect it was probrably crap, but hey i was young
>>and it was worth playing for the "We are bad" sample.

Yep, it was crap, lotsa gloss, little substance, a MK of the mid-eighties.

>>Karnov: What on earth happened to him, the last I saw of him was in some
>>crap called Fighters History.
>>Tiger Road: Very cool.

Yep, just about every level was full of new ideas.

>>Mickey: You know the old Konami one with the teacher.
>>Yie ar Kung Fu: Buchu rules.

Gads, before my time.

>Victory Road: I've always been partial to overhead-view "Commando"-style
>shooters, and this one really took the cake! Gotta love that huge
>crab-boss... sure, it would slow the game to a crawl, but it just looked
>so _cool_. Super-grenades are neat also. :)
It was sequel to Ikari Warriors, good, but Havey Barrel was a better
example of the genre.

>Devestators: Sure the gfx were a little blocky, but the perspective was
>100% original!
Never heard of this..

>Quartet: Forget Gauntlet! Four of my friends and I used to crowd around
>this puppy and play 'till closing time. Joe was my fave, Edgar a close
>second. :)
>Rygar: I'm sure everyone's played this, so I won't bother describing it. :)
I've never seen anyone finish it though.

>Contra and Super Contra: I remember being _blown away_ by the original
>waaay back in 1987. The second was damn cool, as well ("What _is_ this
>place?" "Keep your eyes peeled!").

I would add:
Black Tiger/Dragon: Never got the popularity it deserved.
Willow: A bloody hard game, as all the platformers got towards their
heyday in the the all tended to get extremely hard.
Three Wonders: The platformer was basically yet another GandG game, but it
was the best of all of them.
Metal Hawk: an overhead, everthing rotates around you, helicopter shooter.
Cabal/Bloodbrothers: truely unique games, although BB didn't go far beyond
the Cabal formula.
UN Squadron & Macross: the best side and vertical shooters, ever..

>Ahh, yes... the days when "diversity" wasn't an alien word to America's
>gaming centers... :)

Strangely enough down in Australia we sometimes get the odd game from
Japan coming in that never get a general release, with lots of Kanji in the
ingame text and "only for use in Japan" messages on them.
They seem to make a heck of a lot of "unique" puzzlers.. and other unusual
games..

,s$s, ,s$s, ,s$s, ,s$s, ,s$s, ,s$$$s, ,s$ ,
$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$ $$$$ $$
$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$ $$$
$$$f ?$$$ $$$f ?$$$ $$$f ?$$$ $$"$$$"$$ $$$f ?$$$ $$$ ?$$$ $$$f $$$
$$$, $$$, ,$$$ $$$ ` $$$ ' $$$ $$$ $$$ ,$$$ `$$, ,$$$
$$$$$$' $$$$$$$$$ $$$ $$$ $$$ $$$ $$$ $$$$$$$F' `$$$$$$$
`$$$ `$$$ $$$' `$$, ,$$' $$$ `$$, ,$$' `$$$ $$b $$$
. . $$$ . . . $$$ $$$ . $$$ $$$ . . $$$ . . $$$ $$$ . $$$ $$$ $$, ,$$'. .
. . `$$ . . .`$$ $$' . `$$s$$'. . $$$ . .`$$s$$' . `$$ `$$ . `$$s$$'. . .
:.:.:.`$ :.:.:..`$ $'.:.:.`$$$'..:.: `$' :.:. `$$$' :.:.`$, $$ .:.`$$$'..:.:.
.:.:.:. .:.:.:.. .:.:.:. " ..:.:.: " :.:.:. " :.:.:. " $'.:.:. " ..:.:.:
;:;:;:;. :;:;:;:;.;.;:;:;:;. .;:;:;:;: :;:;:;:;. .;:;:;:;: "'.;:;:;. .;:;:;:;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Christopher A Snyder

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <47j831$3...@epicycle.lm.com>, sey...@telerama.lm.com (Seymont) writes:
> snm...@vmsmail.isc.rit.edu wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > As far as originality goes, the originality comes from the art, rather than
> > the game engine itself. Plus, you can rehash everything every few
>
> Now, where's the sense in this? Originality comes from the art? I don't
> think so. If you took Pac-Man, added completely new graphics, and left
> the game engine the same, it would still be Pac-Man.

no, it would be Mrs. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Baby Pac-Man, ... :)

> [snip]
>
> > peace,
> > Bobby Mozumder
> --
> sey...@telerama.lm.com | Seymont @ FurryMUCK | Jeet Kune Do Dragon @
> Baaaa! Minoc! *splat* | Seymont @ FurToonia | Ultima Dragons Int'net Chapter

Anonymous IU Student

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
to f...@seine.cs.umd.edu
Salut Marat, slysh shto to tvoie imya mne ochen znakomo.
Znayu sportsman, ne znameeenit slychaino.

ImtheK

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
: One game that my friends and I used to play all the time was
:Cyberball. That was awsome for team play!! The arcade we played at
:held a team tounament and it was tons of fun. I think they, whoever
:THEY are, should come out with some more team type games. That would
:be cool.

My husband and I were lucky enough to find an old Cyberball machine (2072)
in decent shape that was for sale. We bought it, but now need to buy a
house big enough to fit the thing in!!

J. Lee

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.951107161316.14998B-100000@chuma>,

Craig Bertolucci <bert...@chuma.cas.usf.edu> wrote:

> Maybe the reason fighting games are so popular is because it's a
>safe way to release agression. I wonder if anyone has actually settled

As opposed to...

>a matter over a fighting game as opposed to actually fighting. Also
>it's a fun way to attain prestiege among your peer group. AND it's

As opposed to...

>completely un-gender-biased. Everyone starts out equal in a fighting

As opposed to...

>game. They say that video games and computers have caused some to
>retreat from society but I've interacted with more people (of all shapes,
>sizes, and colors) in an arcade that I probably wouldn't interact with
>anywhere else.
> As for some of the comments about not getting a chance to play in
>a group of 20 fighting game veterens.... I've always been under the
>assumption that it was proper ettiquet to wait until the current player
>was killed before hitting the start button. If you had permission you
>could come in right before they died. Of course I always perfer losing

Now, what arcade is this? I've been to arcades just about everywhere in
the world, and I never noticed this trend.

>my ass to a real person as opposed to the computer. And I definately
>prefer beating a real person over beating the computer any day.

You make some good points about the positive side of fighting games.
However, you seem to be missing the fact that the very same points were
in existence about video games in general long before Capcom even existed.

Bernard Yeh

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
.oO FactorY Oo. (cs58...@lux.latrobe.edu.au) wrote:
: In article <47o3jv$h...@lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu> pkre...@umich.edu (Peter Michael Kretschman) writes:

: >>> Heavy Barrel
: A truely brilliant game.

I second that... 'You die... You die... You die...'

: >>Mickey: You know the old Konami one with the teacher.

: >>Yie ar Kung Fu: Buchu rules.
: Gads, before my time.

Really??? Man, make me feel old... and I'm only 23...

: >Victory Road: I've always been partial to overhead-view "Commando"-style

: >shooters, and this one really took the cake! Gotta love that huge
: >crab-boss... sure, it would slow the game to a crawl, but it just looked
: >so _cool_. Super-grenades are neat also. :)
: It was sequel to Ikari Warriors, good, but Havey Barrel was a better
: example of the genre.

You forget the first of the genre... Front Line...
remember that one? You got a joystick, a press-to-shoot dial, and a
poorly placed grenade button?
Real vidgame players don't need rotational joysticks... :)
Yet another game where I can spend all day playing... )

: >Devestators: Sure the gfx were a little blocky, but the perspective was
: >100% original!
: Never heard of this...
I didn't think it was that hot...

: >Quartet: Forget Gauntlet! Four of my friends and I used to crowd around

: >this puppy and play 'till closing time. Joe was my fave, Edgar a close
: >second. :)

I loved this game...

: I would add:

: Black Tiger/Dragon: Never got the popularity it deserved.

No kidding... another favorite of mine...

: Willow: A bloody hard game, as all the platformers got towards their

: heyday in the the all tended to get extremely hard.

Actually, I think this was the most original platformer
ever to come out... I didn't think it was that hard... I could get up
to morda on 1 credit... Then she creams me... Lost access to the game before
I could figure out how to beat her...

Other personal oldies but goodies...
Alcon
Rastan
Rush'n Attack
Sinistar (I LIVE...)
Time Pilot/Time Pilot '84
Bosconian
Tron/Disks of Tron
Wizard of Wor (I am the Wizard of Wor, HA HA HA)
Road Blasters
Space Harrier (especially the moving cockpit ones...)
1942/1943
Elevator Action
Gyruss
Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back
Bubble Bobble... (one of the reasons I play Puzzle Bobble on NeoGeo is
because they use the old Bubble Bobble dragons... :)
Rolling Thunder
Xybots
Xevious

Unfortunately, I have access to only Time Pilot (when its working) right now.
Anyone know of an arcade in SE Michigan that has some of the above?
(Especially Willow and Front Line)

Probably some others I forgot...

Bernard Yeh
ber...@engin.umich.edu
This .sig space for lease

M A

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
I miss this article. Can someone who keep up with this article, please
give a summary of this. Were there something really important which I
missed?

--

The M A
What do you expect?

The rats and the cats are
always going to find a way
in your life even if you do
or don't ignore them.
----------- Just stick with them in the News group-----------
and keep complaining

M A <30...@student.csi.cuny.edu>
The opinions expressed are mine and
ONLY shares/ represents my keystrokes
on the keyboard.

Remember: " I will type slowly because you can't read fast!"

------------------------------3DO information-----------------
Check out the 3do web page <http://www.3do.com>
Call 3DO direct 1-800-336-3506
Have a look at M2 in <http://205.218.16/ng/m2.html>
a very happy 3do owner...

Deuce

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
What, does no one remember the Legend of Kage? (That's kah-geh for you
non-Japanese speaking, means "shadow".) I *loved* that game! And what about
Gorf? :) Or the original Battlezone?

-Deuce

Quang

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <47qqcs$6...@srvr1.engin.umich.edu>,
Bernard Yeh <ber...@news-server.engin.umich.edu> wrote:

>: >>> Heavy Barrel
>: A truely brilliant game.
>
>I second that... 'You die... You die... You die...'

The name is very familiar; can someone give a brief description
of it?

>: >>Mickey: You know the old Konami one with the teacher.
>: >>Yie ar Kung Fu: Buchu rules.
>: Gads, before my time.
>
>Really??? Man, make me feel old... and I'm only 23...

Sorry, never heard of Mickey either. :), I'm turning 20 xmas eve
and I'm already feeling old. (My niece is only 6..jeesh, and she's
already playing street fighter and batle toad!!!!, when I was, I wasn't
playing video games!!!).

>Other personal oldies but goodies...
>Alcon
>Rastan
>Rush'n Attack
>Sinistar (I LIVE...)
>Time Pilot/Time Pilot '84
>Bosconian
>Tron/Disks of Tron
>Wizard of Wor (I am the Wizard of Wor, HA HA HA)
>Road Blasters
>Space Harrier (especially the moving cockpit ones...)
>1942/1943
>Elevator Action
>Gyruss
>Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back
>Bubble Bobble... (one of the reasons I play Puzzle Bobble on NeoGeo is
> because they use the old Bubble Bobble dragons... :)
>Rolling Thunder
>Xybots
>Xevious

Recently a game 1945 Striker (Raiden ripoff sort of...well, isn't
almost every shooter out after Raiden a rip off of it?) came out on my
campus arcade. It's weird, but I still think 1943 was the best arcade
shooter that I've ever played. It was LONG and hard and the two player
was really fun. Boy, do I miss that game a lot...Sidearms was also
pretty good and Time Pilot was also very good.
Xybots was fun, too bad it never ended. :), my friends and I went
up to the 115th board or so before we quit. I also thought OutRun was
fun. It was simple and fun.

There's a lot of old arcade games that I miss and don't
remember. Karate Chamep was so simple yet so fun. :) :) Hey, I think
I'm getting old, I got me a$$ kicked by a kid who could barely see the
screen in Sf2 once. <sheepish grin>

--
Quang Lai qv...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca
Civ Eng flunkie/CS wannabe http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~qvlai/

Johnathan Ross P084

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
> True the first was the best, although it wasn't the best game of all time.

Loved that one. I loved grabbing the dudes hair and repeatedly kneeing him in
the face.

> A truely brilliant game.

Yeah, that was great! I like that type of game. HEAVYYYYY BARRELL!!! I liked
Victory Road a little better though.

>>>Yie ar Kung Fu: Buchu rules.
> Gads, before my time.

Never saw that one in arcades, but loved it on my C-64!

>>Victory Road: I've always been partial to overhead-view "Commando"-style
>>shooters, and this one really took the cake! Gotta love that huge
>>crab-boss... sure, it would slow the game to a crawl, but it just looked
>>so _cool_. Super-grenades are neat also. :)
> It was sequel to Ikari Warriors, good, but Havey Barrel was a better
>example of the genre.

See above.

> Willow: A bloody hard game, as all the platformers got towards their
>heyday in the the all tended to get extremely hard.

I thought I was the only person in the world who liked that game. That little
"peck" could kick some ass towards the end of the game! It took me a long
time before I realized the secret to the end of the game... You can't kill
the pot!

> ,s$s, ,s$s, ,s$s, ,s$s, ,s$s, ,s$$$s, ,s$ ,
> $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$ $$$$ $$
> $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$ $$$
> $$$f ?$$$ $$$f ?$$$ $$$f ?$$$ $$"$$$"$$ $$$f ?$$$ $$$ ?$$$ $$$f $$$
> $$$, $$$, ,$$$ $$$ ` $$$ ' $$$ $$$ $$$ ,$$$ `$$, ,$$$
> $$$$$$' $$$$$$$$$ $$$ $$$ $$$ $$$ $$$ $$$$$$$F' `$$$$$$$
> `$$$ `$$$ $$$' `$$, ,$$' $$$ `$$, ,$$' `$$$ $$b $$$
>. . $$$ . . . $$$ $$$ . $$$ $$$ . . $$$ . . $$$ $$$ . $$$ $$$ $$, ,$$'. .
> . . `$$ . . .`$$ $$' . `$$s$$'. . $$$ . .`$$s$$' . `$$ `$$ . `$$s$$'. . .
>:.:.:.`$ :.:.:..`$ $'.:.:.`$$$'..:.: `$' :.:. `$$$' :.:.`$, $$ .:.`$$$'..:.:.
>.:.:.:. .:.:.:.. .:.:.:. " ..:.:.: " :.:.:. " :.:.:. " $'.:.:. " ..:.:.:
>;:;:;:;. :;:;:;:;.;.;:;:;:;. .;:;:;:;: :;:;:;:;. .;:;:;:;: "'.;:;:;. .;:;:;:;
>;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

-Johnathan

Views don't represent those of my employer, etc, etc.

Bert Goodman

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
I want to start seeing the games like Dragons Quest, and Space Ace again

Bert Goodman
http://www.unm.edu/~goodman/

"I'll be droping the new science, I'll be kicking the new
K-nowledge, and I'll see to a degree that you can't get in
college" -- Beastie Boys

Bert Goodman

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
Tron was another excellent game. Does anybody remember the disk fighting
edition. The only one i ever played was a body encasing stand up
version. Really fun. I must say I can really get into pin ball machines
too. I thought Spy Hunter was GREAT in it's time. I remember play the
original punch out in the arcade a LONG time ago. Never beat Soda
Popinsky. I also remember playing this game, this was about 15 years
ago or more, that had video footage of a aircraft and it was your job to
blow them up with this machine gun you had. The trigger was a thumb
button in the middle of the back of the gun. Does anybody recall this game?

Mike Means

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
Personally I play the arcade AD&D Tower of Doom game most now...I'm just
too good at KI and Tekken 1...They were amusing but now I find them
boring, I can kill the computer with a thought and then some jerk comes
along who only knows how to hit one button and wipes me clean off the
game...I never like the two-player aspect of those games...Now the AD&D
game is much more to my liking...Some friend and I (I in fact made these
friends BECAUSE of this game) play once in a while...You can't beat 45
mins. of entertaionment and interaction for 50 cents, IMHO. We've all
spent a little time really sucking at the game but with the other three
to help and a little intelligence (i.e. if they tell you not to open the
chest/go somewhere/do something DON'T) You quickly learn the ropes.
Although I'm moving slightly off topic this is the same reason I play
DOOM 2 cooperatively, not Deathmatch (well we have the occasional
deathmatch...)

Mike

It is loading more messages.