SATURN IS DEAD! SEGA SCREWED US ALL!

Kevin Clark

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Kyle...just Kyle wrote:

> Microsoft always gets it right. It might take them a little time, but in
> the end they've dominated almost every market they've entered.

Yeah, but that is because they steal other companies ideas and then sue them!MS
then sells crappy versions that other companies had made.
As far as I am concerned I would buy Sony instead of Sega just because of MS
making thier operation system.

> As for Sega of America, I hope that Sega of Japan takes SNK's lead and turns
> the US office into a warehouse. Bernie Stolar can be the phone operator.
>
> -------------------------
> Digital Ages Online indepdendent video games network
> http://www.digital-ages.com
> --containing:
> PSX Unlimited senior editor, news editor
> N64 Unlimited mailbag editor
> -------------------------

lordsot...@hotmail.com

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.

I'm extremely pissed off.

kwarlord

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message
<6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
>buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>
>I'm extremely pissed off.

oh look! another satisfied Sega customer! :-)

Hotmail

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

lordsot...@hotmail.com Another fuckin Hotmail Account!

>Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
>buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>

>I'm extremely pissed on! I'm Buying a Kids Toy n64!

JC

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

kwarlord wrote:

> lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message
> <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
> >buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
> >
> >I'm extremely pissed off.
> >

> oh look! another satisfied Sega customer! :-)

Does make me wonder how SoA will market Katana after what has happened
to the Saturn. There loyal user base is got to be pretty shaky right
now. And what about the third party developers. Will they sit back so
long that Katana dies before anyone will make games for it? And the fact
it's gonna have an MS OS really bugs the shit out of me. Bill should
stick to PC gaming in my book. I'm sure they're a lot out there that
feel DX5 is a good thing. But I think it should stay the hell out of
consoles. Why? Because MS can't get it right, and they're gonna always
be upgrading DX. Not a real stable platform for a console that should
last for three years or so.
--
Stay Cool,
JC @

Gary Lowenberg

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

kwarlord wrote:

> lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message
> <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
> >buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
> >
> >I'm extremely pissed off.
> >

> oh look! another satisfied Sega customer! :-)
Your point?
Saturn is DEAD...Yes!
But the games are cheap!
I picked up 4 saturn games at Best Buy for $30 BUCKS!
They were..
Collage Slam
Mortal Kombat 2
Sonic JAM
Sonic R

Kick ASS!

Moooop

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
>buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>
>I'm extremely pissed off.

HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU...HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU

yeah, n64 TOTALLY rules, dude!! It kicks major ass, yeah!! It has sooooo many
radical and kewl games. Way more support than the satern ever had, dewd. At
least 30 games by now, dewd!! And dewd, huhuhuh, SATIRN SUCKED! I sold my
saturn and bought an n64 once i discovered games as cool as Cruisn' USA and
WarGods were there for it, dewd. Yeh, I know this dewwwwwwwwwd with a katana
alreadyy and it sucks!! Maybe if saturn had more games by aklame and midway
then it wood have kicked ASSSSSSSSS man.

Saltheart Foamfollower

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Kyle...just Kyle wrote:

<snip>

> As for Sega of America, I hope that Sega of Japan takes SNK's lead and turns
> the US office into a warehouse. Bernie Stolar can be the phone operator.

LOL !!!!!!!!

Herman McClain

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

Gumby D! wrote:

> Let's get real....like any of us didn't see this coming?
>
> I sold my Saturn over a year ago ( I was an early adopter
> when the US Saturns came out) after waiting for decent
> games to play. As of more than 6 months ago, Saturn held
> on 6% of the US 32 Bit Market.
>
> Only a fool couldn't have known that this system has been
> in DEEP trouble since its release and its axing was on the
> horizon.

That's what i've been saying eversince! But do people listen?
NO! They're gonna be gullible and go pick-up a "Katana" after
what has happened again.

6PAN...@concentric.net

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

>HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU...HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU
>
>yeah, n64 TOTALLY rules, dude!! It kicks major ass, yeah!! It has sooooo
many
>radical and kewl games. Way more support than the satern ever had, dewd.
At
>least 30 games by now, dewd!! And dewd, huhuhuh, SATIRN SUCKED! I sold my
>saturn and bought an n64 once i discovered games as cool as Cruisn' USA and
>WarGods were there for it, dewd. Yeh, I know this dewwwwwwwwwd with a
katana
>alreadyy and it sucks!! Maybe if saturn had more games by aklame and
midway
>then it wood have kicked ASSSSSSSSS man.

i usally dont say this but,
GODDAMNIT CHECK YOUR FUCKING SPELLING

Arodi S Lopez

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

That's right looks like Sega didn't learn from it's past mistakes,take a
look at the company failed systems like the Genesis add on Called the
32x,Sega CD and others,I know you Saturn owner how upset you are about
this matter,Saturn stills a great system....PeaceJC ("jc"@accessone.com*)
wrote: : kwarlord wrote: : >
: > lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message

: > <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
: > >Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
: > >buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
: > >
: > >I'm extremely pissed off.
: > >
: >
: > oh look! another satisfied Sega customer! :-)

: Does make me wonder how SoA will market Katana after what has happened
: to the Saturn. There loyal user base is got to be pretty shaky right

: now. And what about the third party developers. Will they sit back so
: long that Katana dies before anyone will make games for it? And the fact
: it's gonna have an MS OS really bugs the shit out of me. Bill should
: stick to PC gaming in my book. I'm sure they're a lot out there that
: feel DX5 is a good thing. But I think it should stay the hell out of
: consoles. Why? Because MS can't get it right, and they're gonna always
: be upgrading DX. Not a real stable platform for a console that should
: last for three years or so.
: --
: Stay Cool,
: JC @
: http://www.accessone.com/~jc

--

Arodi S Lopez
d054...@dc.seflin.org

Lee

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Spelling No!!! 1st grader talking shit out of his mouth!!!!!
6PAN...@concentric.net <6PAN...@concentric.net> wrote in message
<6elbh7$a...@examiner.concentric.net>...
>>HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU...HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU
>>
>>yeah, n64 TOTALLY sucks dicks, dude!! It kicks major dick up your ass,

yeah!! It has sooooo
>many
>>radical and kewl cum. Way more support than the satern ever had, dewd.

terrell gibbs

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In article <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote:

>Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
>buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.

I don't know about you, but I have lots and lots of great games for the
Saturn. Sure, Sega did a lousy job of promoting the system in the US, but
I've gotten far more than my money's worth out of the system, and I bought
it early when it was still expensive. If the Katana gets even half as many
great games as the Saturn, I'll regard it as a worthwhile purchase.

Kyle...just Kyle

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

JC <"jc"@accessone.com *> > wrote in message
<6el0vk$pek$1...@usenet85.supernews.com>...

>kwarlord wrote:
>>
>> lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message
>> <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>> >Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care,
I'm
>> >buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>> >

>> >I'm extremely pissed off.
>> >

>> oh look! another satisfied Sega customer! :-)
>
>Does make me wonder how SoA will market Katana after what has happened
>to the Saturn. There loyal user base is got to be pretty shaky right
>now. And what about the third party developers. Will they sit back so
>long that Katana dies before anyone will make games for it? And the fact
>it's gonna have an MS OS really bugs the shit out of me. Bill should
>stick to PC gaming in my book. I'm sure they're a lot out there that
>feel DX5 is a good thing. But I think it should stay the hell out of
>consoles. Why? Because MS can't get it right, and they're gonna always
>be upgrading DX. Not a real stable platform for a console that should
>last for three years or so.

Microsoft always gets it right. It might take them a little time, but in
the end they've dominated almost every market they've entered.

As for Sega of America, I hope that Sega of Japan takes SNK's lead and turns

the US office into a warehouse. Bernie Stolar can be the phone operator.

-------------------------

Perry Mercer

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
> buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>
> I'm extremely pissed off.

> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Another satisfied customer. Are there any other Saturn fans who are pissed off
because of Sega announcement to stop support of the Saturn system? As of March
31 no more Saturns will be shipped to retailers. As of May 31 no more Saturn
games will be shipped. I wonder what Sega will show at the E3. How will they
make a profit between May 31 and April 1999? Sega has shot themselves in the
foot once again.

--
Perry Mercer - Senior Editor
pme...@vgt.com

neko

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

you're inferior, because 6PAN...@concentric.net wrote:
| katana
| >alreadyy and it sucks!! Maybe if saturn had more games by aklame and
| midway
| >then it wood have kicked ASSSSSSSSS man.

| i usally dont say this but,
| GODDAMNIT CHECK YOUR FUCKING SPELLING

anyone know which jesus jones song had the line 'the problem with parady
is that it often goes unnoticed'? just wondering...

--

-- neko *meow*

"capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things
you didn't have a good answer to." -- douglas adams

Zelgadis Greywers

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

No microsoft never gets it right, they always release things with bugs and have
to release fixes for the next 3 years. How are you going to fix console
systems? Recall them every other week and replace them?

David
db...@vt.edu

Zelgadis Greywers

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

TheToadWarrior

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

JC <"jc"@accessone.com *> wrote:

>kwarlord wrote:
>>
>> lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message
>> <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>> >Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
>> >buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>> >
>> >I'm extremely pissed off.
>> >

>> oh look! another satisfied Sega customer! :-)

>Does make me wonder how SoA will market Katana after what has happened
>to the Saturn. There loyal user base is got to be pretty shaky right
>now. And what about the third party developers. Will they sit back so
>long that Katana dies before anyone will make games for it? And the fact
>it's gonna have an MS OS really bugs the shit out of me. Bill should
>stick to PC gaming in my book. I'm sure they're a lot out there that
>feel DX5 is a good thing. But I think it should stay the hell out of
>consoles. Why? Because MS can't get it right, and they're gonna always
>be upgrading DX. Not a real stable platform for a console that should
>last for three years or so.

>--
> Stay Cool,
> JC @
> http://www.accessone.com/~jc

Plus it may have less RAM than a N64 with the 64DD ram upgrade, which
gives the N64 8 megs. Well not only is the Katana going to have the
windows OS but a special Sega OS well it takes up 2 megs of ram, hell
that only gives them 6 megs. Why do they need 2 os programs? I think
neither are that good so they gotta throw stuff together. Plus the
katana may not even have Model 3 graphics, it's missing some of the
special features that the model 3 board has. There's no way in hell
I'll buy one for more than $50. It's possible I would if it stays
around for 4 years and has good support but that it the only way.

Zelgadis Greywers

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

terrell gibbs

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In article <6emcmh$6t3$1...@pigpen.csrlink.net>, youh...@ask.com
(TheToadWarrior) wrote:

>Plus it may have less RAM than a N64 with the 64DD ram upgrade, which
>gives the N64 8 megs. Well not only is the Katana going to have the
>windows OS but a special Sega OS well it takes up 2 megs of ram, hell
>that only gives them 6 megs.

Sounds unlikely. It would make a lot more sense to put the operating
system in ROM.

David Wooten

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

TheToadWarrior wrote:

> JC <"jc"@accessone.com *> wrote:
>
> >kwarlord wrote:
> >>
> >> lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message
> >> <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> >> oh look! another satisfied Sega customer! :-)
>
> >Does make me wonder how SoA will market Katana after what has happened
> >to the Saturn. There loyal user base is got to be pretty shaky right
> >now. And what about the third party developers. Will they sit back so
> >long that Katana dies before anyone will make games for it? And the fact
> >it's gonna have an MS OS really bugs the shit out of me. Bill should
> >stick to PC gaming in my book. I'm sure they're a lot out there that
> >feel DX5 is a good thing. But I think it should stay the hell out of
> >consoles. Why? Because MS can't get it right, and they're gonna always
> >be upgrading DX. Not a real stable platform for a console that should
> >last for three years or so.
> >--
> > Stay Cool,
> > JC @
> > http://www.accessone.com/~jc
>
> Plus it may have less RAM than a N64 with the 64DD ram upgrade, which
> gives the N64 8 megs. Well not only is the Katana going to have the
> windows OS but a special Sega OS well it takes up 2 megs of ram, hell
> that only gives them 6 megs. Why do they need 2 os programs? I think
> neither are that good so they gotta throw stuff together. Plus the
> katana may not even have Model 3 graphics, it's missing some of the
> special features that the model 3 board has. There's no way in hell
> I'll buy one for more than $50. It's possible I would if it stays
> around for 4 years and has good support but that it the only way.

Excuse me, but what the hell are you talking about????? The Katana will
have at least 16 MEG of RAM according to the specs floating around, and
I highly doubt you know much if anything about either OS being developed
for the Katana. If you do, share the wealth with all of us that are in
the dark. Also, if the Katana is indeed using a version of the next
PowerVR technology, it will have aspecst that the Model 3 board is
missing, like anistrophic filtering for one. What special features does
the Model 3 have that the Katana won't? The thing the Katana might not
be able to match is the Model 3 boards VERY impressive rendering
quality. And the crack about the 50 dollars, come on you are being a
bit harsh aren't you??

Yes Sega screwed up with the handling of the Saturn in general, and look
they got royally spanked by Sony in the sales area. Before you crucify
Sega again for another console screw up, referring to the Katana, why
don't you wait and see what there marketing strategy will be, and just
how good or bad the system will actually be. Sega won't settle for
anything but a success with the Katana, I mean honestly, the can't
afford to. Just sit back relax and wait and see before you get so
uptight.

Dave
DAVE

Kyle...just Kyle

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Zelgadis Greywers wrote in message <350EB5AD...@vt.edu>...

>No microsoft never gets it right, they always release things with bugs and
have
>to release fixes for the next 3 years. How are you going to fix console
>systems? Recall them every other week and replace them?

But the truth is they have dominated almost every market they've gone into
eventually. Getting it "right" means more than just getting the tech, it's
also marketing, domination, etc.

>> Microsoft always gets it right. It might take them a little time, but in
>> the end they've dominated almost every market they've entered.
>>
>> As for Sega of America, I hope that Sega of Japan takes SNK's lead and
turns
>> the US office into a warehouse. Bernie Stolar can be the phone operator.

-------------------------

Michael and Melissa Bahr

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
> buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.

Up your nose with a rubber hose, prick. The buying public made their
decision, and Sega can't stop the demise of the Saturn on their own, but
they DID save the best games for last. If anything, I think they went
out of their way to please the last few devotees of a dying platform...
and that will be remembered.

--
- Mike Bahr - Prism Records
- d u r n i k @ g o o d n e t . c o m

Craig Kelley

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In article <6elbh7$a...@examiner.concentric.net>,
<6PAN...@concentric.net> wrote:

->i usally dont say this but,
->GODDAMNIT CHECK YOUR FUCKING SPELLING

You really are dense, aren't you?

Sarcasm is wasted on the stupid.

BTW: Why does anyone think the N64 is better than the Saturn? It has
less games and they're mostly designed for 12-year-olds.

--
Wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.
Craig Kelley -- kell...@isu.edu

Daemonchild

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Perry Mercer wrote in message <350ECA64...@vgt.com>...

>Another satisfied customer. Are there any other Saturn fans who are pissed off
>because of Sega announcement to stop support of the Saturn system? As of March
>31 no more Saturns will be shipped to retailers. As of May 31 no more Saturn
>games will be shipped. I wonder what Sega will show at the E3. How will they
>make a profit between May 31 and April 1999? Sega has shot themselves in the
>foot once again.

Please, people...the Saturn has been dead for quite some time. Well over a year
anyway. And now a certain few somehow feel betrayed because Sega of America
supposedly announced the end of stateside Saturn production? Call me paranoid,
but I really doubt the originator of this thread even owns the machine.

I just bought my Saturn, and well, IT KICKS FUCKING ASS! If you're dissatisfied
with the amount of software available for it in North America -- QUIT YOUR
BITCHING AND GET IT FUCKING MODIFIED!

BELJAN E

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com> lordsot...@hotmail.com writes:

>Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I
care, I'm
>buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.

If Sega wants a good reputation in the US they should stop dropping
systems, regardless of how few Saturn users there are in comparison to
whatever they should have at least released a few titles for it up
until the Katana to keep the public's faith.

BELJAN E

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In <6el5c9$8...@enews4.newsguy.com> "Moooop" <moo...@mooopy-booopy.com>
writes:

>lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message
<6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>>Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I
care, I'm
>>buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>>
>>I'm extremely pissed off.
>

>HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU...HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU
>
>yeah, n64 TOTALLY rules, dude!! It kicks major ass, yeah!! It has
sooooo many
>radical and kewl games. Way more support than the satern ever had,

dewd. At
>least 30 games by now, dewd!! And dewd, huhuhuh, SATIRN SUCKED! I
sold my
>saturn and bought an n64 once i discovered games as cool as Cruisn'
USA and
>WarGods were there for it, dewd. Yeh, I know this dewwwwwwwwwd with a
katana
>alreadyy and it sucks!! Maybe if saturn had more games by aklame and
midway
>then it wood have kicked ASSSSSSSSS man.

Uuuuh Yeah
I sold my Saturn to buy a gameboy, the gameboy is soooo kewl, it has a
black and white screen and uses AAA batteries, you can throw it in your
pocket, it has the best graphics...
Give me a break

Psychosis Imminent

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

James A. Martin, Jr. --Internet/Networking Engineer for Perigee, Inc.
ja...@mindless.com (612) 470-5711 (backup:jma...@perigee.com)
Computer Multimedia / 3D Animation / Sound Engineering Trained and looking

------- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----------

Nick Muntean

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Kyle...just Kyle wrote:

> Zelgadis Greywers wrote in message <350EB5AD...@vt.edu>...
> >No microsoft never gets it right, they always release things with bugs and
> have
> >to release fixes for the next 3 years. How are you going to fix console
> >systems? Recall them every other week and replace them?
>
> But the truth is they have dominated almost every market they've gone into
> eventually. Getting it "right" means more than just getting the tech, it's
> also marketing, domination, etc.

I think he is just worried that the OS in the Katana is like Window$
95. I think the OS will be alot less complex, buggy, and powerful than
Window$. Give Sega atleast a chance.

remove * to reply by email

Nick Muntean

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

BELJAN E wrote:

> In <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com> lordsot...@hotmail.com writes:
>

> >Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I
> care, I'm
> >buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
> >
> If Sega wants a good reputation in the US they should stop dropping
> systems, regardless of how few Saturn users there are in comparison to
> whatever they should have at least released a few titles for it up
> until the Katana to keep the public's faith.

The problem with that is that Sega is losing money on the Saturn in the
US, which in turn drains funds from the parent company. So what does
Sega do, patch up the holes and get ready for the next fight, or keep
the wounds bleeding to keep a few people happy? Double-edged sword and
I definatly don't want to be in Bernie Stolar's shoes right now.

Gumby D!

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Herman McClain

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Charles Miller Jr. wrote:

> Wow, as opposed to what is happening to the N64?

The N64 is still premature -- thank you!

> Sega Saturn had more games than the N64 at this
> time in its life... :(

Master System, Genesis, and Sega CD had more games
than the N64 at this time in its life.
HOW MEANINGLESS CAN YOU BE?!

Herman McClain

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Craig Kelley wrote:

> In article <01bd5280$52c9f2a0$a3d87e82@granite>,
> Charles Miller Jr. <cwmil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> ->Wow, as opposed to what is happening to the N64? Sega Saturn had more
> ->games than the N64 at this time in its life... :(
>
> Six times as many (if you include Japanese titles).
>
> I would still buy a Saturn over an N64 today.

Sure! Saturn's are going for $30 these days!
Hell, I'll even pick one up and use it for an
"expensive" ash tray! ;)

Herman McClain

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Anders Simonsson wrote:

> On 18 Mar 98 00:29:08 GMT, "JAMES E VENNE" <bu...@bigsky.net> wrote:
>
> >FUCK YOU ALL!!!
>
> Hm, another graduate of the Herman McCain school
> of human relations.

I'd like to add -- he graduated with honors so fuck you! ;)

Herman McClain

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Charles Miller Jr. wrote:

> Yeah, the Sega CD did have more games than the N64
> at the same point in each of their lives... along with
> the Master System and the Genesis! Good point!
> The N64 is not premature. It is just underdeveloped for
> its age. I mean, wasn't that your last criminal defense case?
> LOL

No, it was your mother's criminal defense case!
Are we forgetting already, basehead?! ;)

Herman McClain

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

Anders Simonsson wrote:

> >> Hm, another graduate of the Herman McCain school
> >> of human relations.
> >
> >I'd like to add -- he graduated with honors so fuck you! ;)
>
> I`m curious, Herman. In real life, are you capable of
> having a normal conversation or do you snap after ten
> seconds and scream "Fuck you!"?

FUCK YOU! GO TO HELL! FUCKIN' JERK! :]

JAMES E VENNE

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

FUCK YOU ALL!!!

Zelgadis Greywers <db...@vt.edu> wrote in article <350EB601...@vt.edu>...

> No microsoft never gets it right, they always release things with bugs and have
> to release fixes for the next 3 years.  How are you going to fix console
> systems?  Recall them every other week and replace them?
>

> David
> db...@vt.edu

BELJAN E

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

In <6emtkg$lrf$1...@hirame.wwa.com> Nick Muntean <N-Muntean@*NEIU.edu>
writes:
Well I think they never should have said anything. Trickle out maybe a
title every month or two and wrap it up when Katana arrives, it would
be less displeasing to Saturn owners and would keep them waiting for
Katana rather than saying "Hey look Sega abandoned another system,
better not buy Katana because they might do the same". People get
worried easily, especially if they are investing money in a system.
This is probably why kids end up with Nintendo a lot, the games are
geared at kids, but more importantly, the parents know that Nintendo
continues to beat a dead horse with their systems releasing games
forever and trying to keep the platform alive, they are not worried
with it becomming obsolete. Sega got a good start on this with Genesis,
but the 32X and Sega CD failed to capitalize.

Kyle...just Kyle

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

JAMES E VENNE wrote in message
<01bd51d1$f67ddba0$62e6...@buck.bigsky.net>...
>FUCK YOU ALL!!!

Having a little repressed anger eh? Perhaps you should go see a
psychiatrist and work out those repressed memories of being beaten as a
child.

-------------------------

satu...@bellatlantic.net

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

In article <6em88k$8k4$1...@apakabar.cc.columbia.edu>,
"Kyle...just Kyle" <hy...@columbia.edu> wrote:

> JC <"jc"@accessone.com *> > wrote in message
> <6el0vk$pek$1...@usenet85.supernews.com>...

> >kwarlord wrote:
> >>
> >> lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message
> >> <6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> I'm

> >> oh look! another satisfied Sega customer! :-)
> >
> >Does make me wonder how SoA will market Katana after what has happened
> >to the Saturn. There loyal user base is got to be pretty shaky right
> >now. And what about the third party developers. Will they sit back so
> >long that Katana dies before anyone will make games for it? And the fact
> >it's gonna have an MS OS really bugs the shit out of me. Bill should
> >stick to PC gaming in my book. I'm sure they're a lot out there that
> >feel DX5 is a good thing. But I think it should stay the hell out of
> >consoles. Why? Because MS can't get it right, and they're gonna always
> >be upgrading DX. Not a real stable platform for a console that should
> >last for three years or so.
>
> Microsoft always gets it right. It might take them a little time, but in
> the end they've dominated almost every market they've entered.
>
> As for Sega of America, I hope that Sega of Japan takes SNK's lead and turns
> the US office into a warehouse. Bernie Stolar can be the phone operator.

Kyle, please don't insult phone operators in such a way :)

Ant

Michael and Melissa Bahr

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

Perry Mercer wrote:

> lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
> > buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
> >
> > I'm extremely pissed off.

> > http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading
>
> Another satisfied customer. Are there any other Saturn fans who are pissed off
> because of Sega announcement to stop support of the Saturn system? As of March
> 31 no more Saturns will be shipped to retailers. As of May 31 no more Saturn
> games will be shipped. I wonder what Sega will show at the E3. How will they
> make a profit between May 31 and April 1999? Sega has shot themselves in the
> foot once again.

They'll earn money from Saturn sales in Japan, software in Japan, and
from their international dominance of the arcades.

Everything comes to an end eventually. The Saturn lasted three years in
the USA, four in Japan... not too shabby. It ain't the Gameboy, but what
other system is?? You want to talk about a Sega flop... talk about the
32X.

Michael and Melissa Bahr

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

terrell gibbs wrote:

> In article <6emcmh$6t3$1...@pigpen.csrlink.net>, youh...@ask.com
> (TheToadWarrior) wrote:
>
> >Plus it may have less RAM than a N64 with the 64DD ram upgrade, which
> >gives the N64 8 megs. Well not only is the Katana going to have the
> >windows OS but a special Sega OS well it takes up 2 megs of ram, hell
> >that only gives them 6 megs.
>
> Sounds unlikely. It would make a lot more sense to put the operating
> system in ROM.

The latest info from Sega has the machine clocking in at 26 megs of
RAM, dropping the modem and some other extras in favour of giving the
system a ton of RAM for developers. This is a canny move as the
bottleneck on most systems has historically been RAM. And the OS has to
be loaded into RAM in order for it to work... sure, it will be contained
within the ROM, but an OS operates in active memory. The more little
details I hear about the Katana, the more I like it. Such as, now that
the modem has been scrapped in favour of more RAM, word has it the
Katana will have a serial port so you can plug any modem into it. Also,
that the Katana will have an ATX mini-din keyboard port standard, and
that it will continue to use Saturn-style controllers with the same
connectors, with four ports standard, and the pack-in controller analog
(like unto / compatible with the Nights controller). This is all such
common-sense stuff, it stands out in stark clarity compared to the
rumour-mill bullshit surrounding most system pre-releases. These sorts
of improvements put the Katana in position to not only be the dominant
system among the next generation, but to be immensely profitable as
well, moreso than the Genesis.

Anders Simonsson

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

On 18 Mar 98 00:29:08 GMT, "JAMES E VENNE" <bu...@bigsky.net> wrote:

>FUCK YOU ALL!!!

Hm, another graduate of the Herman McCain school of human relations.

Take care/Anders.

Night City - http://www.bounce.to/nightcity/
Emulation, CGI gallery, Nursing, Groovy links
and much more.

Charles Miller Jr.

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

Wow, as opposed to what is happening to the N64? Sega Saturn had more

terrell gibbs

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

>And the OS has to
>be loaded into RAM in order for it to work... sure, it will be contained
>within the ROM, but an OS operates in active memory.

This doesn't make sense to me. Certainly, any operating system will need
to use some RAM for buffers, variables, and the like, but unless it's
doing something crazy like self-modifying code, there is no reason why the
operating system code itself cannot reside in ROM.

Craig Kelley

Wes Pringle

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98
to lordsot...@hotmail.com

lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
> buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>
> I'm extremely pissed off.

Pissed off? The Saturn was no 32X - Sega supported it well. And so
did the 3rd party community (at least for a while). Let me list all the
games that I consider to be "must have" games on the Saturn.

1 Virtua Fighter 2
2 Fighting Vipers
3 Fighters Megamix
4 Sega Rally
5&6 Virtua Cop 1$2
7 Guardian Heroes
8 Iron Storm
9 Dragon Force
10 Silouette Mirage
11 Street Fighter Alpha 2
12 Nightwarriors
13 Worldwide Soccer 97or98
14 World Series Baseball '98
15 XMen vs Streetfighter
16 Marvel Super Heroes
17 Panzer Dragoon Zwei
18 Duke Nukem 3D
19 Quake
20 Sonic R
21 Sonic Jam
22 Nights
23 Burning Rangers
24 Dead or Alive
25 ThunderForce 5
26 Mechwarrior 2
27 Soukyugoruntai
28 Command & Conquer
29 Last Gladiators
30 Metal Slug
31 Super Puzzle Fighter
32 Sega Ages
33 Shining the Holy Ark
34 Virtual On
35 Saturn Bomberman
36 Steep Slope Sliders
37 Legend of Oasis
38 Dark Savior

and soon...

39 Panzer Dragoon Saga
40 Shining Force III

Fourty absolutely outstanding "must have" games. And believe me, there are
many more that I consider to be absolutely terrific games but didn't quite
make the "must have" list.

Did Sega let us down with their marketing? Yes. Did they let us down
with the games? No way. The Saturn is the most underrated game system
of all time period. I can tell anyone reading this with a straight face
that I have all three major systems, and my Saturn gets BY FAR the most
play. It is true that I mostly rely on imports nowadays for the Saturn, but
it is the rare Playstation game that gets me as hot as a near Sonic Team
release (Metal Gear Solid anyone?).

The Saturn is Dead. Long Live the Saturn. The best gamers machine since
the Commodore Amiga.

- Wes

Michael and Melissa Bahr

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

The thing is, it DOES utilize self-modifying code while it's in active
operation. An OS is exactly that, the operating system by which all
system functions are handled. It literally must be in RAM. Your
Command.com is loaded entirely into RAM every time you boot up your
computer. So is win.exe... these are the OS itself. All the support
files can be left in ROM unless they're needed. That's why the Katana's
Windows-CE OS might be 10 megs large, but might only need 2 megs of RAM
for itself during normal system use.

Jamey "Crisis" Powell

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

Craig Kelley wrote:
> In article <6elbh7$a...@examiner.concentric.net>,
> <6PAN...@concentric.net> wrote:
>
> ->i usally dont say this but,
> ->GODDAMNIT CHECK YOUR FUCKING SPELLING
>
> You really are dense, aren't you?

Yep.

> Sarcasm is wasted on the stupid.
>
> BTW: Why does anyone think the N64 is better than the Saturn?

1) Because its sales figures are more impressive than that of some kid's
lemonade stand.
2) Goldeneye.
3) Better graphics.
4) Better controller.
5) Shigeru Miyamoto.

> It has less games and they're mostly designed for 12-year-olds.

I'll grant you the less games part, but for the most part, I don't
care if games are cutesy. Just so long as the cutesiness dosen't go so
far as to actually insult my intelligence, anyways. (Case in point:
Diddy Kong Racing)

--
CASHP #1-98
http://home.pacbell.net/jsp-sls/index.html

Jamey "Crisis" Powell

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

Kyle...just Kyle wrote:

> JC <"jc"@accessone.com *> > wrote in message
> <6el0vk$pek$1...@usenet85.supernews.com>...
>
> >Does make me wonder how SoA will market Katana after what has happened
> >to the Saturn. There loyal user base is got to be pretty shaky right
> >now. And what about the third party developers. Will they sit back so
> >long that Katana dies before anyone will make games for it? And the fact
> >it's gonna have an MS OS really bugs the shit out of me. Bill should
> >stick to PC gaming in my book. I'm sure they're a lot out there that
> >feel DX5 is a good thing. But I think it should stay the hell out of
> >consoles. Why? Because MS can't get it right, and they're gonna always
> >be upgrading DX. Not a real stable platform for a console that should
> >last for three years or so.
>
> Microsoft always gets it right. It might take them a little time, but in
> the end they've dominated almost every market they've entered.

The only problem here is that MS has only steamrolled over its
competition by strategic use of a little thing called Windows. Wanna
take over X market? Just bundle CopycatProduct98 with Windows and start
charging people when they've used it for a month or so. Everybody will
be forced to use CopycatProduct98 instead of Original 3.5 (which will
NOT be bundled with Windows), and within a year or so Microsoft will
have conquered yet another market. The only reason they don't own the
PC gaming market is that people want to have several games; just the
few that may be bundled with Windows aren't enough, and thus people go
and buy stuff from other companies.

However, they can't get away with that if they want to conquer the
console market, as they have no killer ap to toy with there. Yes, they
could theoretically use the Marketing Department From Hell to get a
foothold with Katana, but...come on, this is Sega we're talking with.
Nothing in the world short of establishment of a Sega-run communist
regime could fix the big messy stain Sega has splattered all over its
reputation, meaning that Sega's US sales will be decent at best no
matter ~what~ happens.

Oh, and while I'm forecasting the slow painful death of Sega, I should
point out that not even their previous trump card, AM2, is going to
pull them out of this pit. You all do know what the US arcade market has
been like recently, don't you?

> As for Sega of America, I hope that Sega of Japan takes SNK's lead and turns
> the US office into a warehouse. Bernie Stolar can be the phone operator.

Not likely. After all, they've now infected themselves with M$. Ten
bucks says it gets turned into a private bathroom for Big Bill. :)

Charles Miller Jr.

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

> Yeah, but that is because they steal other companies ideas and then sue
them!MS
> then sells crappy versions that other companies had made.
> As far as I am concerned I would buy Sony instead of Sega just because of
MS
> making thier operation system.

Wow, talk about a really objective way of oproaching this thing! LOL

IMHO the best game I have played, next to Golden Eye, this year has been
AOE... Microsoft RULES! LOL!

John E Larkspur

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Charles Miller Jr. (cwmil...@hotmail.com) wrote:
: > Yeah, but that is because they steal other companies ideas and then sue

: them!MS
: > then sells crappy versions that other companies had made.
: > As far as I am concerned I would buy Sony instead of Sega just because of
: MS
: > making thier operation system.

Nobody understands the real advantage of this. Yes, everything that
Micro$oft makes (that they didn't steal) is garbage. But Microsoft's
style of marketting is a million times more effective than Sega's. It'll
go something like this: "Hello, Eidos? This is Bill Gates. I heard you
were developing Tomb Raider 5 only for Sony's home console, in addition
to the PC. Y'know, funny thing just happened, that order you put in for
the Microsoft 99 development kit got lost, and now we don't have any kits
left. That's right, CD shortage, could be a few years before... what?
You'd like a Sega Katana kit? Sure, lemme just check-- hey, what do you
know, we had one last MS99 kit hiding beneath it. Must be your lucky
day, eh?"

That's a bit more effective than Bernie Stolar's: "hi, we have almost
no userbase, but we want to charge you the same liscensing fee to make
games for our system that Sony does, only we won't provide you with as
good a developing kit. That ok with you? Huh? ... What's my mother
have to do with it? ... Hello?"

: IMHO the best game I have played, next to Golden Eye, this year has been
: AOE... Microsoft RULES! LOL!

Age of Empires was designed by an independent software developer.
Microsoft simply bought out their code and published it under their name.
MS doesn't waste manpower designing software, they let someone else do
the dirty work, then either buy them out or prevent them from selling it.

Lark

Charles Miller Jr.

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

hold on... So everything MS makes is garbage, that they don't steal. Well,
they didn't steal AOE. hmm....

BTW, the little whiny anti-MS spiel is played out.

Charles Miller Jr.

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Wow! Someone has absolutely 0 knowledge of what an operating system is...

Michael and Melissa Bahr <dur...@goodnet.com> wrote in article

> > This doesn't make sense to me. Certainly, any operating system will
need
> > to use some RAM for buffers, variables, and the like, but unless it's
> > doing something crazy like self-modifying code, there is no reason why
the
> > operating system code itself cannot reside in ROM.

> The thing is, it DOES utilize self-modifying code while it's in active
> operation. An OS is exactly that, the operating system by which all
> system functions are handled.

Which, does not inherently mean self modifying code... Where did you learn
this?

> It literally must be in RAM.

Oops... Someone hasn't done their homework. The code for the OS does not
have to be in ram, just accessable by the IP. That can be in rom. Like he
said, the OS is not going to be self-modifying. Maybe your problem is that
you don't know what self-modifying code means.... LOL

> Your
> Command.com is loaded entirely into RAM every time you boot up your
> computer. So is win.exe... these are the OS itself. All the support
> files can be left in ROM unless they're needed. That's why the Katana's
> Windows-CE OS might be 10 megs large, but might only need 2 megs of RAM
> for itself during normal system use.

Um, the Command.com is not self-modifying. Neither is win.exe.... Both of
these could be used dirrectly from ROM, like some older computers, if the
PC had a way of addressing ROM with the IP. You obviously don't know what
you are talking about.

Charles Miller Jr.

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

John E Larkspur

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

d52f6$61dc4560$a3d87e82@granite>:
Charles Miller Jr. (cwmil...@hotmail.com) wrote:

: hold on... So everything MS makes is garbage, that they don't steal. Well,

: they didn't steal AOE. hmm....

It's possible that they bought AoE fair and square. In this case,
give credit to the MS suits who were smart enough to scout it and buy it,
but the actual programmers at MS get none. Giving MS credit for AoE is
like giving Acclaim credit for XMen:Cota, which they forced Capcom to
sell to them through a contractual technicality.

Lark

Charles Miller Jr.

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

I find it funny that MS is the worst company ever... but no one elses poop
stinks... LOL

Charles Miller Jr.

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

> No, it was your mother's criminal defense case!

Oh my lord... Let me file that with the "I know you are but what am I"
catagory of lames comebacks.

> Are we forgetting already, basehead?! ;)

Ah, Basehead... I think I'm gonna buy me an arcade and lay off some bum...
LOL!

Anders Simonsson

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:01:32 -0800, "Jamey \"Crisis\" Powell"
<qua...@wilhelp.com> wrote:

>> BTW: Why does anyone think the N64 is better than the Saturn?
>
>1) Because its sales figures are more impressive than that of some kid's
> lemonade stand.

The N64 is *better* because it outsells the Saturn in the US? I don`t
know about you, but I`ve always found it difficult to play sales
figures.

>2) Goldeneye.

Yes, a great game. A pity that there aren`t any more games of this
calibre available.

>3) Better graphics.

Yes, it has great graphics. But with so few games, how does this make
it a better console?

>4) Better controller.

The pride and joy of the N64 system. I wish the PSX had controllers
like this!

>5) Shigeru Miyamoto.

Um, he wasn`t included in the box when I bought my N64. But I know
what you mean. The problem is that Shigeru Miyamoto is spread out over
so many projects these days, that he never gets *really* involved in
any of them (hence Yoshi, Mario Kart, Star Fox, etc). Let`s just hope
that Zelda is receving his full attention...

Anders Simonsson

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

<mccl...@idt.net> wrote:

>> >FUCK YOU ALL!!!
>>
>> Hm, another graduate of the Herman McCain school
>> of human relations.
>

>I'd like to add -- he graduated with honors so fuck you! ;)

I`m curious, Herman. In real life, are you capable of having a normal
conversation or do you snap after ten seconds and scream "Fuck you!"?

Take care/Anders.

Kyle...just Kyle

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote in message <3510B8...@wilhelp.com>...

>Kyle...just Kyle wrote:
>> Microsoft always gets it right. It might take them a little time, but in
>> the end they've dominated almost every market they've entered.
>
>The only problem here is that MS has only steamrolled over its
>competition by strategic use of a little thing called Windows. Wanna
>take over X market? Just bundle CopycatProduct98 with Windows and start
>charging people when they've used it for a month or so. Everybody will
>be forced to use CopycatProduct98 instead of Original 3.5 (which will
>NOT be bundled with Windows), and within a year or so Microsoft will
>have conquered yet another market. The only reason they don't own the
>PC gaming market is that people want to have several games; just the
>few that may be bundled with Windows aren't enough, and thus people go
>and buy stuff from other companies.

If they so chose they can muscle their way in just by throwing cash around.
MS has done that in the past to get footholds in markets before, and they'll
do it again.

>Oh, and while I'm forecasting the slow painful death of Sega, I should
>point out that not even their previous trump card, AM2, is going to
>pull them out of this pit. You all do know what the US arcade market has
>been like recently, don't you?

Sega is principally a Japanese company. They program games for the Japanese
arcade, that's why there are so many racers around.

Kyle...just Kyle

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote in message <3510B4...@wilhelp.com>...

>> BTW: Why does anyone think the N64 is better than the Saturn?
>
>1) Because its sales figures are more impressive than that of some kid's
> lemonade stand.

Ignoring Japan? Japan is the world's largest gaming market by far, and the
N64 is getting beaten to a pulp there. The Saturn is still doing decently
there.

>2) Goldeneye.

What about people ( like me ) who don't like corridor shooters but prefer
fighters and RPGs? There are quite a few of us out there.

>3) Better graphics.

That's true. But so far the graphical prowess of the N64 ahs been terribly
underused.

>4) Better controller.
>5) Shigeru Miyamoto.

Wasn't Miyamoto also in charge of Yoshi's Story? It's been widely
criticised as being too easy. He's overseeing so many projects that none of
them really benefit from having him.

Sega has Yuji Naka BTW.

Craig Kelley

#2 seems like a good reason; the others are just fluff.

Hmmm, one game. Very inticing indeed.

Message has been deleted

David Wooten

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Herman McClain wrote:

> Craig Kelley wrote:
> >
> > In article <01bd5280$52c9f2a0$a3d87e82@granite>,
> > Charles Miller Jr. <cwmil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ->Wow, as opposed to what is happening to the N64? Sega Saturn had more
> > ->games than the N64 at this time in its life... :(
> >
> > Six times as many (if you include Japanese titles).
> >
> > I would still buy a Saturn over an N64 today.
>
> Sure! Saturn's are going for $30 these days!
> Hell, I'll even pick one up and use it for an
> "expensive" ash tray! ;)

And that would easily prove that your IQ is about 2 points above a pile
of rocks. If you love your N64 so much, go play it. Or are you tired
of the 3 decent game out for it... (yes heavy on the sarcasm there) ;)

Dave

David Wooten

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Herman McClain wrote:

> Anders Simonsson wrote:

> > >I'd like to add -- he graduated with honors so fuck you! ;)
> >
> > I`m curious, Herman. In real life, are you capable of
> > having a normal conversation or do you snap after ten
> > seconds and scream "Fuck you!"?
>
> FUCK YOU! GO TO HELL! FUCKIN' JERK! :]

Unfortunately, Herman, we are all in hell when you post mindless drivel
like this........

David Wooten

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote:

> Kyle...just Kyle wrote:
> >
> > JC <"jc"@accessone.com *> > wrote in message
> > <6el0vk$pek$1...@usenet85.supernews.com>...
> >
> > >Does make me wonder how SoA will market Katana after what has happened
> > >to the Saturn. There loyal user base is got to be pretty shaky right
> > >now. And what about the third party developers. Will they sit back so
> > >long that Katana dies before anyone will make games for it? And the fact
> > >it's gonna have an MS OS really bugs the shit out of me. Bill should
> > >stick to PC gaming in my book. I'm sure they're a lot out there that
> > >feel DX5 is a good thing. But I think it should stay the hell out of
> > >consoles. Why? Because MS can't get it right, and they're gonna always
> > >be upgrading DX. Not a real stable platform for a console that should
> > >last for three years or so.
> >
> > Microsoft always gets it right. It might take them a little time, but in
> > the end they've dominated almost every market they've entered.
>
> The only problem here is that MS has only steamrolled over its
> competition by strategic use of a little thing called Windows. Wanna
> take over X market? Just bundle CopycatProduct98 with Windows and start
> charging people when they've used it for a month or so. Everybody will
> be forced to use CopycatProduct98 instead of Original 3.5 (which will
> NOT be bundled with Windows), and within a year or so Microsoft will
> have conquered yet another market. The only reason they don't own the
> PC gaming market is that people want to have several games; just the
> few that may be bundled with Windows aren't enough, and thus people go
> and buy stuff from other companies.
>
> However, they can't get away with that if they want to conquer the
> console market, as they have no killer ap to toy with there. Yes, they
> could theoretically use the Marketing Department From Hell to get a
> foothold with Katana, but...come on, this is Sega we're talking with.
> Nothing in the world short of establishment of a Sega-run communist
> regime could fix the big messy stain Sega has splattered all over its
> reputation, meaning that Sega's US sales will be decent at best no
> matter ~what~ happens.

No matter what happens??? This is pretty narrow-minded thinking on your
part. If Sega releases a system capable of nearly Model 3 quality
graphics, with killer games like sports, fighting, and a Sonic game, the
system will sell. Graphics speak so much here in the US, look at the
N64. It's nowhere near the hype that was laid on by the press and
Nintendo, and most of the games for it are mediocre at best, and all are
very over priced, yet it sells extremely well. Just because the Saturn
didn't break records, the US consumer is easy to swade with flashy
graphics, again look at the N64. the Katana will have just as much a
chance to succeed as any other platform. Now that the Saturn is going
out fast, and more people are buying it at a reduced rate, most of the
people I have spoken with are saying things like.. "the Saturn wasn't as
bad as I heard" or " the Saturn is really nice, why did it do so
badly". Good marketing, something the Saturn never really had, will do
wonders for the Katana, a system with the "POWER" to make games with all
the graphics we could want, plus since many will be arcade ports of
games, with great gameplay, we will have the best of both worlds.

Saying the Katana will not be a success now, is really quite arrogant.

> Oh, and while I'm forecasting the slow painful death of Sega, I should
> point out that not even their previous trump card, AM2, is going to
> pull them out of this pit. You all do know what the US arcade market has
> been like recently, don't you?

This is purely nonesense. If the Katana were to hit the US with 90%
versions of VF3, Super GT, this would feed the US and it's ever growing
insistence on games with "eye candy". Not to mention you would be
getting games the play damn well to boot. So AM2 will be to the Katana,
what Psygnosis is to the PSX, and Myamato is to the N64. And lest we
should forget the other 3 AM departments, to me with the power the
Katana will have, Sega having the AM depts expertise is something no
other company can match. Namco comes in a distant 2nd, IMHO.

I'm sorry, but I feel you need more than just your opinions, to justify
your belief that Sega is pretty much washed up in the console arena.

Dave

Christopher Hoffman

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Not even three years - May 1995, I think. Besides, it's their own fault
it's a failure.

On 19 Mar 1998, Seymont wrote:

> I really don't understand this whole 'screwed'/'abandoned' thing. The
> Saturn has been around for something like 5 years now (I'm not sure when,
> exactly, it was released). That's a pretty respectable lifespan for a console.
> Furthermore, the Saturn is losing money in North America...a _lot_ of money.
> If your house has caught fire, do you keep sitting in your Barcalounger even
> after the attic and upper floor have caved in? No, you haul your ass out the
> door. Similarly, if a company's product crashes bitterly in a market and is
> steadily dragging them deeper into the red, what would it say about their
> business sense if they continued to bank on it? SoA released the Saturn...
> the Saturn tanked...they're not making money on it...time to move on.
> To every thing, turn, turn, turn, and so on.

Krool.

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

right now is when you want to start a thread titled "PSX vs SEGA, which
is better ?" off....cross post to every sega related group...
think of what all those happy sega owners will do after years of
defending their sega saturns with all their might/tech info/games and
then double crossed/shot in the back by sega itself!

now thats if you want to start a psx vs katana war of course!!!

Krool.
just trolling thru!

Bill2933

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

Saturn was launched on 22th of November, 1994

--
Bill2933
Webmaster of Sega World

> I really don't understand this whole 'screwed'/'abandoned' thing. The
>Saturn has been around for something like 5 years now (I'm not sure when,
>exactly, it was released). That's a pretty respectable lifespan for a
console.
>Furthermore, the Saturn is losing money in North America...a _lot_ of
money.
>If your house has caught fire, do you keep sitting in your Barcalounger
even
>after the attic and upper floor have caved in? No, you haul your ass out
the
>door. Similarly, if a company's product crashes bitterly in a market and is
>steadily dragging them deeper into the red, what would it say about their
>business sense if they continued to bank on it? SoA released the Saturn...
>the Saturn tanked...they're not making money on it...time to move on.
>To every thing, turn, turn, turn, and so on.
>

>>Krool.
>>just trolling thru!
>
>--
>--se...@telerama.lm.com--GA
>"O Sibili, Sibili, si autem trux. Si vates enim, causam dux."

Anders Simonsson

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:12:08 -0800, Herman "for an extra dollar, I`ll
call you Daddy" McClain <mccl...@idt.net> wrote:

>Anders Simonsson wrote:

>> >I'd like to add -- he graduated with honors so fuck you! ;)
>>
>> I`m curious, Herman. In real life, are you capable of
>> having a normal conversation or do you snap after ten
>> seconds and scream "Fuck you!"?
>
>FUCK YOU! GO TO HELL! FUCKIN' JERK! :]

Yes, that`s what I thought.

Raju Indukuri

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

Actually I think Sega stayed with the Saturn much longer than anyone
expected, and they did get there share of awesome accesories such as the
NETLINK where you can play with your friends on a modem. Also, you have such
games as World Series Baseball and Virtua Fighter. I think they showed a
high degree of loyalty by just giving you your exclusive games that are not
found anywhere else.

lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote in message
<6ektkk$vn8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
>buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>
>I'm extremely pissed off.

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Jason Costa

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

David Wooten wrote:
> No matter what happens??? This is pretty narrow-minded thinking on your
> part. If Sega releases a system capable of nearly Model 3 quality
> graphics, with killer games like sports, fighting, and a Sonic game, the
> system will sell. Graphics speak so much here in the US, look at the
> N64. It's nowhere near the hype that was laid on by the press and
> Nintendo, and most of the games for it are mediocre at best, and all are
> very over priced, yet it sells extremely well. Just because the Saturn
> didn't break records, the US consumer is easy to swade with flashy
> graphics, again look at the N64.

I agree, but Nintendo did have a better track record with consumers
and with the press (OK, the stupid useless Virtual Boy, but most people
didn't even know what it was). That does make a difference in how a new
system is perceived. The graphics alone won't sell Sega's new system.

>the Katana will have just as much a
> chance to succeed as any other platform. Now that the Saturn is going
> out fast, and more people are buying it at a reduced rate, most of the
> people I have spoken with are saying things like.. "the Saturn wasn't as
> bad as I heard" or " the Saturn is really nice, why did it do so
> badly". Good marketing, something the Saturn never really had, will do
> wonders for the Katana, a system with the "POWER" to make games with all
> the graphics we could want, plus since many will be arcade ports of
> games, with great gameplay, we will have the best of both worlds.

Actually, it'd probably have an easier time succeeding if it was of a
brand other than Sega. I have a feeling a lot of people won't rush out
and buy it right away. They'll wait to see about the price, and quality
of games that are actually put out, not by promises about what will come
out. It's in a better position than the N64 though. No one in their
right mind (and notice I said in their RIGHT mind Herman-bitch boy :)
will buy an add on that is just an extra storage device, and a poor
storage device at that. -JC-WATCHDOG-- To Reply, remove *NOSpam* from
email address

RAIDERS
___\\_ _____________ _//___
\___\\_ / | | \ _//___/
\\ / | | \ //
\\ / | | \ //
\\ / | | \ //
_\/ ______| |______ \/_
| / \___/ \ |
\ | COMMITMENT | /
\ \ TO / /
\ \ EXCELLENCE / /
\ \ / /
\ \ '76 '80 / /
\ \ '83 / /
/\ \________/ /\
// \__________/ \\
// \\
|/ \|

Nenad Nedeljkovic

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

Michael and Melissa Bahr wrote:

> lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care, I'm
> > buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.
>
> Up your nose with a rubber hose, prick. The buying public made their
> decision, and Sega can't stop the demise of the Saturn on their own, but
> they DID save the best games for last. If anything, I think they went
> out of their way to please the last few devotees of a dying platform...
> and that will be remembered.

You have a point there, but I think that it isn't right that Sega fails
with 3 consecutive products (Sega cd, 32x, and Saturn). The consumers
gave them 3 chances of improving themselves from their previous
mistakes. They should have known better of what to do with the Saturn
marketing strategies, etc.

This is ofcourse my opinion.

Kyle...just Kyle

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

Nenad Nedeljkovic wrote in message <3513CC...@nettaxi.com>...

>You have a point there, but I think that it isn't right that Sega fails
>with 3 consecutive products (Sega cd, 32x, and Saturn). The consumers
>gave them 3 chances of improving themselves from their previous
>mistakes. They should have known better of what to do with the Saturn
>marketing strategies, etc.

The CD got decent support, and is the most successful console add-on to
date. The 32X was entirely the product of Sega of America, and did not have
Sega of Japan's backing. The Saturn isn't failing in Japan.

Jamey "Crisis" Powell

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

[rec.games.video.sony cut from headers]

Anders Simonsson wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:01:32 -0800, "Jamey \"Crisis\" Powell"
> <qua...@wilhelp.com> wrote:
>

> >> BTW: Why does anyone think the N64 is better than the Saturn?
> >

> >1) Because its sales figures are more impressive than that of some kid's

> > lemonade stand.
>
> The N64 is *better* because it outsells the Saturn in the US? I don`t
> know about you, but I`ve always found it difficult to play sales
> figures.

It doesn't make a system better, but it does ensure its survival
somewhat. If it didn't, this thread wouldn't exist.

[...]

> >3) Better graphics.
>
> Yes, it has great graphics. But with so few games, how does this make
> it a better console?

It doesn't single-handedly push it ahead of Saturn, but it helps.

[...]

> >5) Shigeru Miyamoto.
>
> Um, he wasn`t included in the box when I bought my N64. But I know
> what you mean. The problem is that Shigeru Miyamoto is spread out over
> so many projects these days, that he never gets *really* involved in
> any of them (hence Yoshi, Mario Kart, Star Fox, etc). Let`s just hope
> that Zelda is receving his full attention...

True. It seems Nintendo's strategy has changed from having Miyamoto
produce a classic every now and then to having Miyamoto observe
other people's projects just to make sure they aren't crap.

Besides, I'm sure Zelda's recieving at least 70% of his attention.
Nintendo knows that they have a lot riding on this one, so I doubt that
they're going to be taking any risks, and particularly not that one.

--
CASHP #1-98 alt.atheist #862 M*E*O*W
http://home.pacbell.net/jsp-sls/index.html

"CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? No? Okay, just making sure."-MrPsycohed

Jamey "Crisis" Powell

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

Kyle...just Kyle wrote:

> Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote in message <3510B4...@wilhelp.com>...
> >> BTW: Why does anyone think the N64 is better than the Saturn?
> >
> >1) Because its sales figures are more impressive than that of some kid's
> > lemonade stand.
>
> Ignoring Japan? Japan is the world's largest gaming market by far, and the
> N64 is getting beaten to a pulp there. The Saturn is still doing decently
> there.

True, but the N64 isn't getting as annihilated there as the Saturn is
here.

> >2) Goldeneye.
>
> What about people ( like me ) who don't like corridor shooters but prefer
> fighters and RPGs? There are quite a few of us out there.

Well, if you really don't like plain action games, then yes, it's probably
best for you to avoid N64 like the plague. But unless you can't stand
1st-person shooters, I still suggest you give it a shot.

> >3) Better graphics.
>
> That's true. But so far the graphical prowess of the N64 ahs been terribly
> underused.

Indeed. OTOH, that's not neccisarily true if those Turok 2 screenshots
are authentic.

> >4) Better controller.
> >5) Shigeru Miyamoto.
>
> Wasn't Miyamoto also in charge of Yoshi's Story? It's been widely
> criticised as being too easy. He's overseeing so many projects that none of
> them really benefit from having him.
>
> Sega has Yuji Naka BTW.

Naka, while a worthy designer, still isn't in the same league as Miyamoto.
Besides, Sonic's his only real weapon against Nintendo and Sony, and
the only Saturn Sonic game was less than impressive (probably because the
entire gameplay system of Sonic is just plain incompatible with 3D game
engines, which is in turn probably why Sonic Xtreme got canned).

Jamey "Crisis" Powell

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

David Wooten wrote:

> Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote:
> >
> > However, they can't get away with that if they want to conquer the
> > console market, as they have no killer ap to toy with there. Yes, they
> > could theoretically use the Marketing Department From Hell to get a
> > foothold with Katana, but...come on, this is Sega we're talking with.
> > Nothing in the world short of establishment of a Sega-run communist
> > regime could fix the big messy stain Sega has splattered all over its
> > reputation, meaning that Sega's US sales will be decent at best no
> > matter ~what~ happens.
>
> No matter what happens??? This is pretty narrow-minded thinking on your
> part. If Sega releases a system capable of nearly Model 3 quality
> graphics, with killer games like sports, fighting, and a Sonic game, the
> system will sell. Graphics speak so much here in the US, look at the
> N64.

N64 sold well because they rule the 6-12 year old demographic with an
iron fist. If Sega wants to get back in the market, they're going to
have to aim at a different market, meaning they're going to have to
take a different approach than "Hey! Look! This thing can make pretty
pictures! Buy it!", as most people over the age of 12 (non-gamer parents
exempt) are intelligent enough not to be fooled by that.

However, I'll admit that it's not impossible for them to get back to
the top, but they'll have to fight tooth and nail to claim the throne
again. After all, they did manage to pull it off with the Genesis.

> It's nowhere near the hype that was laid on by the press and
> Nintendo, and most of the games for it are mediocre at best, and all are
> very over priced, yet it sells extremely well.

That's simply because they've tapped into a demographic with very few
hardcore gamers and very many naive parents. Thus, they can get away
with damn near anything and still sell games by the truckload, because
there are so few people that actually pay attention to quality, or
are intelligent enough to recognize hype for what it is.

> Just because the Saturn
> didn't break records, the US consumer is easy to swade with flashy

> graphics, again look at the N64. the Katana will have just as much a

> chance to succeed as any other platform.

True. After all, Sega (and everybody else, for that matter) is quite
aware of the fact that if they can't pull this off, they're dead.

> Now that the Saturn is going
> out fast, and more people are buying it at a reduced rate, most of the
> people I have spoken with are saying things like.. "the Saturn wasn't as
> bad as I heard" or " the Saturn is really nice, why did it do so
> badly". Good marketing, something the Saturn never really had, will do
> wonders for the Katana, a system with the "POWER" to make games with all
> the graphics we could want, plus since many will be arcade ports of
> games, with great gameplay, we will have the best of both worlds.
>

> Saying the Katana will not be a success now, is really quite arrogant.

I'm not saying it won't be a success, period; just that it's really
unlikely that they're going to get back to the top with it. Especially
in the US market, where they have neither a good reputation nor a
healthy arcade market to throw around.

> > Oh, and while I'm forecasting the slow painful death of Sega, I should
> > point out that not even their previous trump card, AM2, is going to
> > pull them out of this pit. You all do know what the US arcade market has
> > been like recently, don't you?
>
> This is purely nonesense. If the Katana were to hit the US with 90%
> versions of VF3, Super GT, this would feed the US and it's ever growing
> insistence on games with "eye candy". Not to mention you would be
> getting games the play damn well to boot. So AM2 will be to the Katana,
> what Psygnosis is to the PSX, and Myamato is to the N64.

VF3 and Super GT won't keep the fire going forever. Yeah, there probably
is a good chance that they can help them get a decent foothold...at
first. They still still need third party developers, though, and they're
going to have a hard time convincing people that they've changed.

> And lest we
> should forget the other 3 AM departments, to me with the power the
> Katana will have, Sega having the AM depts expertise is something no
> other company can match.

AM2 is the only significantly powerful AM developer there is, and I
guess AM3 has put out some pretty nice stuff. OTOH, I can honestly
say I've never heard of any AM department/s other than 2 and 3. I
somehow doubt that they're that important if I've never even heard of
them, unless they're purely for R&D or something.

> Namco comes in a distant 2nd, IMHO.

Yeah, probably. The thing is, Sony's got a lot more to rely on than
Namco.

> I'm sorry, but I feel you need more than just your opinions, to justify
> your belief that Sega is pretty much washed up in the console arena.

I was probably wrong about Katana being doomed to mediocrity from the
start, but I still don't see how it could manage to surpass all
competition in terms of installed user base, especially given what an
uphill battle they're going to be fighting.

Kyle...just Kyle

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote in message

<351458...@wilhelp.SPAMISEVIL.com>...

>I was probably wrong about Katana being doomed to mediocrity from the
>start, but I still don't see how it could manage to surpass all
>competition in terms of installed user base, especially given what an
>uphill battle they're going to be fighting.

If Sega had the balls to release the unit at the end of this year for $199
with good software support it will.

Kyle...just Kyle

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote in message

<35144E...@wilhelp.SPAMISEVIL.com>...

>Kyle...just Kyle wrote:

>> >1) Because its sales figures are more impressive than that of some kid's
>> > lemonade stand.
>>
>> Ignoring Japan? Japan is the world's largest gaming market by far, and
the
>> N64 is getting beaten to a pulp there. The Saturn is still doing
decently
>> there.
>
>True, but the N64 isn't getting as annihilated there as the Saturn is
>here.

It is actually. The N64's Japanese market share dipped to 1% last I
checked. There are several N64 games that are selling at cut rate prices
$15-$20 ) now.

>> >2) Goldeneye.
>>
>> What about people ( like me ) who don't like corridor shooters but prefer
>> fighters and RPGs? There are quite a few of us out there.
>
>Well, if you really don't like plain action games, then yes, it's probably
>best for you to avoid N64 like the plague. But unless you can't stand
>1st-person shooters, I still suggest you give it a shot.

I can't stand corridor shooters. My gaming tastes are much closer to
Japanese gamers' than US gamers'.

>> >4) Better controller.
>> >5) Shigeru Miyamoto.
>>
>> Wasn't Miyamoto also in charge of Yoshi's Story? It's been widely
>> criticised as being too easy. He's overseeing so many projects that none
of
>> them really benefit from having him.
>>
>> Sega has Yuji Naka BTW.
>
>Naka, while a worthy designer, still isn't in the same league as Miyamoto.
>Besides, Sonic's his only real weapon against Nintendo and Sony, and
>the only Saturn Sonic game was less than impressive (probably because the
>entire gameplay system of Sonic is just plain incompatible with 3D game
>engines, which is in turn probably why Sonic Xtreme got canned).

True. But then as far as arcade games are concerned Miyamoto isn't fit to
tie the shoelaces of Yu Suzuki.

Joshua S Redford

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote:

> David Wooten wrote:
> > Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote:
> > >
> > > However, they can't get away with that if they want to conquer the
> > > console market, as they have no killer ap to toy with there. Yes, they
> > > could theoretically use the Marketing Department From Hell to get a
> > > foothold with Katana, but...come on, this is Sega we're talking with.
> > > Nothing in the world short of establishment of a Sega-run communist
> > > regime could fix the big messy stain Sega has splattered all over its
> > > reputation, meaning that Sega's US sales will be decent at best no
> > > matter ~what~ happens.
> >
> > No matter what happens??? This is pretty narrow-minded thinking on your
> > part. If Sega releases a system capable of nearly Model 3 quality
> > graphics, with killer games like sports, fighting, and a Sonic game, the
> > system will sell. Graphics speak so much here in the US, look at the
> > N64.
>
> N64 sold well because they rule the 6-12 year old demographic with an
> iron fist. If Sega wants to get back in the market, they're going to
> have to aim at a different market, meaning they're going to have to
> take a different approach than "Hey! Look! This thing can make pretty
> pictures! Buy it!", as most people over the age of 12 (non-gamer parents
> exempt) are intelligent enough not to be fooled by that.

Yeah, instead they're going to have to take a different approach
considering the different age market "Hey! Look! This thing can let you
see red pixels and big breasts and your parents won't care?" as most
people between the age of 12 and 18 are too into trying to create a "cool"
reputation/image.

> > It's nowhere near the hype that was laid on by the press and
> > Nintendo, and most of the games for it are mediocre at best, and all are
> > very over priced, yet it sells extremely well.
>
> That's simply because they've tapped into a demographic with very few
> hardcore gamers and very many naive parents. Thus, they can get away
> with damn near anything and still sell games by the truckload, because
> there are so few people that actually pay attention to quality, or
> are intelligent enough to recognize hype for what it is.

Yeah, that wave whatever game is crap and that over-hyped Golden
something is terrible, barely mediocre! C'mon Natalya wasn't even half
naked and there weren't entrails laying everywhere.

> > Just because the Saturn
> > didn't break records, the US consumer is easy to swade with flashy
> > graphics, again look at the N64. the Katana will have just as much a
> > chance to succeed as any other platform.
>
> True. After all, Sega (and everybody else, for that matter) is quite
> aware of the fact that if they can't pull this off, they're dead.

One serious comment, they're going to need more than just graphics
since the N64 beat them to that and will be even stronger with the DD,
IMO.

> I was probably wrong about Katana being doomed to mediocrity from the
> start, but I still don't see how it could manage to surpass all
> competition in terms of installed user base, especially given what an
> uphill battle they're going to be fighting.

Agreed.

David Wooten

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

Jamey "Crisis" Powell wrote:

> N64 sold well because they rule the 6-12 year old demographic with an
> iron fist. If Sega wants to get back in the market, they're going to
> have to aim at a different market, meaning they're going to have to
> take a different approach than "Hey! Look! This thing can make pretty
> pictures! Buy it!", as most people over the age of 12 (non-gamer parents
> exempt) are intelligent enough not to be fooled by that.
>
> However, I'll admit that it's not impossible for them to get back to
> the top, but they'll have to fight tooth and nail to claim the throne
> again. After all, they did manage to pull it off with the Genesis.

Yes, and a very good sonic game will go far in helping the cause of the
Katana.

> > It's nowhere near the hype that was laid on by the press and
> > Nintendo, and most of the games for it are mediocre at best, and all are
> > very over priced, yet it sells extremely well.
>
> That's simply because they've tapped into a demographic with very few
> hardcore gamers and very many naive parents. Thus, they can get away
> with damn near anything and still sell games by the truckload, because
> there are so few people that actually pay attention to quality, or
> are intelligent enough to recognize hype for what it is.

That is most likely true, but if a Katana Kiosk is running in Toys R Us,
and it has a beautiful 3D sonic game, with graphics the N64 could never
produce, and it has the trade mark Sonic feel and playability, how many
kids are going to tell there parents, "I want this system with Sonic".
I have a feeling, quite a few. Shoot, I'm 29 now, and I would love to
play a great 3D sonic game..

> > Just because the Saturn
> > didn't break records, the US consumer is easy to swade with flashy
> > graphics, again look at the N64. the Katana will have just as much a
> > chance to succeed as any other platform.
>
> True. After all, Sega (and everybody else, for that matter) is quite
> aware of the fact that if they can't pull this off, they're dead.
>
> > Now that the Saturn is going
> > out fast, and more people are buying it at a reduced rate, most of the
> > people I have spoken with are saying things like.. "the Saturn wasn't as
> > bad as I heard" or " the Saturn is really nice, why did it do so
> > badly". Good marketing, something the Saturn never really had, will do
> > wonders for the Katana, a system with the "POWER" to make games with all
> > the graphics we could want, plus since many will be arcade ports of
> > games, with great gameplay, we will have the best of both worlds.
> >
> > Saying the Katana will not be a success now, is really quite arrogant.
>
> I'm not saying it won't be a success, period; just that it's really
> unlikely that they're going to get back to the top with it. Especially
> in the US market, where they have neither a good reputation nor a
> healthy arcade market to throw around.

Well not were I live. Sega racers dominat the arcades around here, and
their fighters have a decent presence as well. I feel that if Katana is
capable of close to 100% translations of Model 3 games, the arcade
aspect of Sega will mean even more in the console arena.

> > > Oh, and while I'm forecasting the slow painful death of Sega, I should
> > > point out that not even their previous trump card, AM2, is going to
> > > pull them out of this pit. You all do know what the US arcade market has
> > > been like recently, don't you?
> >
> > This is purely nonesense. If the Katana were to hit the US with 90%
> > versions of VF3, Super GT, this would feed the US and it's ever growing
> > insistence on games with "eye candy". Not to mention you would be
> > getting games the play damn well to boot. So AM2 will be to the Katana,
> > what Psygnosis is to the PSX, and Myamato is to the N64.
>
> VF3 and Super GT won't keep the fire going forever. Yeah, there probably
> is a good chance that they can help them get a decent foothold...at
> first. They still still need third party developers, though, and they're
> going to have a hard time convincing people that they've changed.

The minute the press and the public, especially the hardcore gamer that
reads the magazines, surfs the videogame websites, and partakes in
dicsussion forums like this one, as soon as they see Katana shots that
rival Model 3 quality, that will be one HUGE step for Sega in the right
direction. And from what I've heard, Sega already has quite a few 3rd
party developers signed on, and producing games.

> > I'm sorry, but I feel you need more than just your opinions, to justify
> > your belief that Sega is pretty much washed up in the console arena.
>
> I was probably wrong about Katana being doomed to mediocrity from the
> start, but I still don't see how it could manage to surpass all
> competition in terms of installed user base, especially given what an
> uphill battle they're going to be fighting.

I feel that the next round of system wars will be on such even footing,
concerning system power, that it will all come down to the games on each
system. And I suppose that if Sony once again pays for exclusive rights
to games, then Sega might have a difficult time getting some of the
grade A titles. As long as developers believe that the Katana will be a
viable platform, and right now NOONE knows if it won't be (or will be
for that matter) I would hope they would produce content on more than
one platform, no matter how lucrative any particular companies
exclusivity offer will be. I bet the next system war will be the first
time we see 2 maybe even 3 very dominate forces in the console hardware
business.

Dave

David Wooten

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

Joshua S Redford wrote:

> One serious comment, they're going to need more than just graphics
> since the N64 beat them to that and will be even stronger with the DD,
> IMO.

While I will agree that the N64 has graphics that are quite a bit better
in quality than either the Saturn or PSX, it's low polygon count to me
is a big problem. If we are to believe the specs floating around the
web on the Katana, and that indeed it is using a higher spec chipset
than the next version of PowerVR 3D technology for PC accelerators, than
the Katana will have graphics much better than the N64, with even more
features, and a polygon count at least 5 times higher. The DD will not
make the N64 more powerful, but it will add much needed RAM, but I don't
believe it is intended to help the N64 in the ability to compute and
render more polygons.

> > I was probably wrong about Katana being doomed to mediocrity from the
> > start, but I still don't see how it could manage to surpass all
> > competition in terms of installed user base, especially given what an
> > uphill battle they're going to be fighting.

> Agreed.

So, Sega will have an uphill battle. Nintendo has a HUGE one going on
in Japan. I still contend that, once the graphic power of the Katana is
revealed, the US desire for pretty graphics, will help with Katana
sales. And great Model 3 conversions, and a launch Sonic title, will
also assist. Am I saying the Katana will blow everyone away, and sell
30 million units in 3 years.. not hardly, but I don't believe either,
that Sega will have no chance for success with Katana.

Dave

David Wooten

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

Christopher Hoffman wrote:

> Not even three years - May 1995, I think. Besides, it's their own fault
> it's a failure.

The actually technology of the Saturn though, pre-dates 95 by quite a
bit. More like late 93. The Saturn was released in Japan in 94. But as
for Sega being responsible for the failure of the Saturn. In a large
part yes, but I feel the press and a lot of Sony zealots could sholder
some of the burden. I recently played Virtua Fighter, the original
released with the Saturn in 95, and yes it is a poor conversion, but not
at all indicitive of the power the Saturn truly had/has. But really
after the first intial games for the system, the press and a lot of PSX
only owners, had the Saturn billed as an underpowered system next to the
PSX, and Sega was never able to shake that. But Sega did shoot itself
in the foot many times, and I no doubt believe the Saturn would be in a
much better posistion, if Sega of America especially, had done some
actual marketing strategy, and if Sega of Japan had helped 3rd party
programmers much more than they did.

Dave

terrell gibbs

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

In article
<Pine.GSO.3.96.98032...@hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu>,

Joshua S Redford <red...@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:

: One serious comment, they're going to need more than just graphics
:since the N64 beat them to that and will be even stronger with the DD,
:IMO.

The N64 was impressive at the time of its release, but it's already
looking a bit lame next to PC graphics acceleration boards. And Katana is
reputedly built around a next-generation acceleration system.

Message has been deleted

Randy E Sanders

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

> lordsot...@hotmail.com wrote:

> >Fuck you very much Sega. You can shove your damn Katana for all I care,
I'm
> >buying a Nintendo 64. So much for being loyal to your customers.

I bought a Sega 32X a couple of years back only to find out that they were
discontinuing games for the system. I am now a fan of Sony Playstation!

B. Baal

Mar 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/24/98

Randy E Sanders wrote in message <01bd569d$36ae78e0$5301b2c3@res4218>...

Actaully, it's Sega of America that REALLY STINKS. They are probably a
daughter company of Acklame.

It's Sega of Japan that rocks/rules. Take a look at all those amazing RPG's
and the upcoming Capcom games that will utilize the 4 MB RAM cart.

Too bad these Sega employee idiots here in America don't have the slightest
clue on the video game buisness.

giova...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2020, 4:36:22 PM2/15/20
Well I came from 2020 and Sony and MS with his Xbox One X are ruling the gaming world and the world it self.
I miss the time when N64 was in my hands.