3 DoDo

Canberra Design Centre

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Well my orginal posting (M2 @ E3 ?) was a whole lot of speculation,
to hopefully drum up some interesting replys.....well it certainately
has done just that.

I wrote (typed actually):
>I can't believe that Studio 3DO is not developing games for M2, 3DO
>Magazine listed 10 + games in development.

And this was about the best response:

> I'm afraid 3DO Magazine's information is out of date.
Well by the time we get 3DO mag over here, I'd would say that I'm the
one out of date. And 3DO magazine is also no more (pretty well out of
everything)

> After the company reorganized on Friday, 13 September, nearly all
> M2 projects were dropped. The following are the only M2 projects still
> being worked on in-house:

> IMSA Racing, Baseball, 3D platform jumper
> The last one may get refocused to the PC, or canned altogether.

> In addition, Cyclone is experimenting with BattleSport-M2, but it
> is unknown if it will actually amount to anything.

Shit a brick, Cyclone have a M2 dev kit but don't know if they can make
a product on it.

> It is possible that there are out-of-house M2 projects underway,
> but I rather doubt it. The reorg was fairly comprehensive, and intended
> to focus 3DO toward making mostly PC titles.

So there you have it. The future is to keep updateing your PC every 12
months, so you can run the latest software. Or if Microsoft vision of
games for Windows 95, not run but stumble along as fast as possible.

If Studio 3DO have no faith in M2, who's left? Panasonic Wondertainment?
They didn't even support 3DO here in Australia. Goldstar did, they even
had 3 times the amount of pack in software. So there is no real upgrade path?
What's it all matter really then when I have a 3DO (which is pretty good) and lots of
fine software (much more than I could hope, or want to buy for my playstation).

So I bought into Trip's Big Vision, but at the end of the day it was just
more big Bull Shit ! The same throw away technology that he bagged
Nintendo about. Panasonic's advertisement "don't buy a DoDo" should
have been "If you don't want a dinasaur, don't buy a 3 DoDo".

See you on the other side............David B.

Leo L. Schwab

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

In article <328C88...@moore.com.au>,

Canberra Design Centre <Cade...@moore.com.au> wrote:
>> In addition, Cyclone is experimenting with BattleSport-M2, but it
>> is unknown if it will actually amount to anything.
>
>Shit a brick, Cyclone have a M2 dev kit but don't know if they can make
>a product on it.

It is probably a violation of my non-disclosure agreement to offer
any information on this subject, but after thinking about it for a while,
I find I'm unable to let this public characterization of Cyclone's guys go
uncorrected.

I have indeed seen a version of M2-BattleSport, put together by a
couple of guys at Cyclone (whose names I'm embarrassed to say I've
forgotten). It was by no means polished; it was just a technology
exploration to see if BattleSport could be done on M2, and how it might
look.

And I must say, given the amazingly short time in which these two
guys put it together, it looked pretty good. So, in my mind, there's no
question that Cyclone could indeed make it into a good M2 product.

As to whether or not they *will* make it into a product, well,
even if I were free to speak, it would still be impossible for me to say.
Given 3DO's stated intent to become a PC/Internet titling house, it's not
clear whether or not they would go full-bore on M2-BattleSport.
Personally, I'd like to believe they would since it would be a good game,
but for me to say one way or the other would be pure speculation on my
part.

Awaiting the call from the lawyers...

Leo L. Schwab -- Digital Spellweaver ew...@best.com ..or..
\_ -_ http://www.best.com/~ewhac/ ew...@well.com
O----^o Recumbent Bikes: The Only Way To Fly. (pronounced "EH-wack")
Hiroshima '45. Chernobyl '86. Windows '95.

David Nagy

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Leo L. Schwab (ew...@best.com) wrote:

: It is probably a violation of my non-disclosure agreement to offer

: any information on this subject, but after thinking about it for a while,
: I find I'm unable to let this public characterization of Cyclone's guys go
: uncorrected.

Go boy. Your weakness is a constant boon to this newsgroup. :)

: And I must say, given the amazingly short time in which these two

: guys put it together, it looked pretty good. So, in my mind, there's no
: question that Cyclone could indeed make it into a good M2 product.

Well heck, they oughta do it then. Spend a full week on it if necessary!

: As to whether or not they *will* make it into a product, well,

: even if I were free to speak, it would still be impossible for me to say.
: Given 3DO's stated intent to become a PC/Internet titling house, it's not
: clear whether or not they would go full-bore on M2-BattleSport.

And now that they're part of Studio 3DO, they can't just decide to do it
'on their own', huh? Well, phooey. :|

: Personally, I'd like to believe they would since it would be a good game,

: but for me to say one way or the other would be pure speculation on my
: part.

: Awaiting the call from the lawyers...

Ah, I don't think this post is *really* from Leo. These things are
really easy to forge. :)

Dave Nagy

David Nagy

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

Canberra Design Centre (Cade...@moore.com.au) wrote:

: If Studio 3DO have no faith in M2, who's left? Panasonic Wondertainment?

To be fair, I'd say that 3DO has had all kinds of 'faith' in the M2
hardware, it's the schmucks at MEI that they're a tad uncertain about.
And yeah, PanaWonder is about the last hope. If they aren't coming through
with the goods, no one else will. Apparently.

Dave Nagy

Canberra Design Centre

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

Your right, there is no way that Leo can be held
accountable for those comments, I think my sister
was responsible for those fake messages, or is this
message that is fake?
There is just no way of knowing........David B

Canberra Design Centre

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

My posting was supposed to mean Cyclone didn't have much faith
that M2 would be a huge success as they were only developing
one title for it, which may not be released. This message that I
sent sounded more like Cyclone couldn't bring a product to market.
Sorry bout dat.

So for the record, I think without doubt that Cyclone has proven
it can produced world class software. Battlesport not my cup of
tea, two player mode is good. But Captain Quasar, is one hell
of a mad man's shoot 'em up. The FMV animation is top notch, and
the animation of battlesport (DEMO) is breathtaking. If M2
Battlesport is between Opera and the demo, hey I'll buy it. Lets
hope there is the hardware soon to run it on.

David Nagy

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Canberra Design Centre (Cade...@moore.com.au) wrote:

: My posting was supposed to mean Cyclone didn't have much faith

: that M2 would be a huge success as they were only developing
: one title for it, which may not be released.

Cyclone doesn't have much to say about it, since they're taking orders
from Trip now. Change "Cyclone" to "3DO" in the above paragraph and I'd
agree wholeheartedly. 3DO's faith in MEI ran out quite a while ago. If
the M2 succeeds, great. If not, they figure they better get busy making
money on the systems that are already successful.

I liked 3DO better when they were idealistic, but they'll probably make
more money this way.

Dave Nagy

David Nagy

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Canberra Design Centre (Cade...@moore.com.au) wrote:

: Your right, there is no way that Leo can be held

: accountable for those comments, I think my sister
: was responsible for those fake messages, or is this
: message that is fake?

Leo's safe. Bob Lindsey blabbed all about BattleSport II in a recent
interview on EG's webpage. He says they're going to release it. I don't
necessarily believe a word he says, but who knows...

Dave Nagy