Why get Magazines??

nick@nite

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
With the exception of Next Generation, I wonder why anyone on this
group would waste money on game magazines at all. They are so hype
happy it's disgusting. Also, as their reviews go, most of them are
just a reprint of the description on the back of a game box. I have
found that the best criticism and information tends to show up on
the web pages run by the manufacturers and fans and in the articles
posted on news groups like this one. Next Generation is the only Mag
that seems to give mature, hype-free reviews without a lot of bull.
It seems that they have stepped on some toes in these groups but not
because they are biased, but because they are objective. Sometimes the
truth hurts.

Joel Weinstein

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95
This is true with the exception of "3". In 3, I find most of the reviews
very intelligent. They clearly state the good and bad from the game.
Now, something you must ignore is the summing up statements, for some
reason they always say that the game was great in the summing up sentences
even though the bad outweighed the good in the article. Other than that,
they are good reviews. There are lots of hint and tip pages, and the
screen shots are good. There is a fairly cheap mail order in the back
where you can get a game for $50 instead of 60 at the store. It seems to
be aimed at older people and there is no hype or other shit thrown in to
try to impress people.

Joel

Sean Caszatt

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95
Joel Weinstein (sur...@mizzou1.missouri.edu) wrote:
: screen shots are good. There is a fairly cheap mail order in the back

: where you can get a game for $50 instead of 60 at the store. It seems to
: be aimed at older people and there is no hype or other shit thrown in to
: try to impress people.

I work for that "fairly cheap mail order" company in the back of 3
magazine. Sales of 3DO titles have been very strong all year.

The name of the company is 4th Dimension Entertainment. We're going to
have a web page soon, so watch out for it!

I'll post all the information here ASAP.

(We also sell Amiga stuff too...)

--
Sean Caszatt __

Shinnokxz

Mar 2, 2016, 4:47:02 AM3/2/16
The magazines at the time were useful, despite the inherent bias that would come along with moving money in the gaming market, when Internet access was still not easy to obtain, or at least logistically relied upon for good information.

Once the Internet became a bit more mainstream in the very late 90s, you saw a lot of even the top magazines struggle. As of 2016, I can't recall ever seeing a gaming rag at the stand these days. That goes for any other tech magazine. There's just no money in those publications anymore.