Calvin's Quiz #470

Calvin

Jan 15, 2017, 8:27:05 PM1/15/17
1 Which element makes up about 10% of the alloy bronze?
2 In 1964 which two African countries became Tanzania?
3 In 1861 who was elected President of the Confederated States of America?
4 Which country was awarded the George Cross in 1942, with the symbol now incorporated in its flag?
5 Which British author wrote the 1941 novel "Evil Under the Sun"?
6 Which car manufacturer produced the Oldsmobile from 1908-2004?
7 Which veteran Canadian actor is the only person to have appeared in all 8 "American Pie" films (including spinoffs)?
8 Which British actor portrayed Thomas Cromwell in the BBC TV series "Wolf Hall" and the title role in Steven Spielberg's 2016 movie "The BFG"?
9 Avocadoes, wheat germ and many nuts are good sources of which vitamin?
10 Which benefit concert began as a one-off event organised by Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young held in Illinois in 1985, but soon became an annual event and in 2015 celebrated its 30th anniversary?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Jan 15, 2017, 8:34:52 PM1/15/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 Which element makes up about 10% of the alloy bronze?

tin

> 2 In 1964 which two African countries became Tanzania?

Zanzibar and Tanganyika

> 3 In 1861 who was elected President of the Confederated States of America?

Jefferson Davis

> 4 Which country was awarded the George Cross in 1942, with the symbol now incorporated in its flag?

Australia

> 5 Which British author wrote the 1941 novel "Evil Under the Sun"?

George Orwell

> 6 Which car manufacturer produced the Oldsmobile from 1908-2004?

GM

> 7 Which veteran Canadian actor is the only person to have appeared in all 8 "American Pie" films (including spinoffs)?

Eugene Levy

> 9 Avocadoes, wheat germ and many nuts are good sources of which vitamin?

B1

> 10 Which benefit concert began as a one-off event organised by Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young held in Illinois in 1985, but soon became an annual event and in 2015 celebrated its 30th anniversary?

Farm Aid

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 15, 2017, 9:18:10 PM1/15/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which element makes up about 10% of the alloy bronze?

Copper

> 2 In 1964 which two African countries became Tanzania?

Tanganyika and Zanzibar

> 3 In 1861 who was elected President of the Confederated States of
> America?

James Harrison

> 4 Which country was awarded the George Cross in 1942, with the
> symbol now incorporated in its flag?

Malta

> 6 Which car manufacturer produced the Oldsmobile from 1908-2004?

GM

> 9 Avocadoes, wheat germ and many nuts are good sources of which
> vitamin?

Mark Brader

Jan 15, 2017, 10:22:55 PM1/15/17
""Calvin":
> 1 Which element makes up about 10% of the alloy bronze?

Zinc, I hope.

> 2 In 1964 which two African countries became Tanzania?

Tanganyika and Zanzibar.

> 3 In 1861 who was elected President of the Confederated States
> of America?

Davis. And that's Confederate States.

> 4 Which country was awarded the George Cross in 1942, with the
> symbol now incorporated in its flag?

Malta.

> 5 Which British author wrote the 1941 novel "Evil Under the Sun"?

Christie.

> 6 Which car manufacturer produced the Oldsmobile from 1908-2004?

There wasn't one manufacturer over that period. At one point Olds's
company was called REO, after his initials, and I'm guessing that
that's what you want. In the final decades of the brand, Oldsmobiles
were made by General Motors.

> 7 Which veteran Canadian actor is the only person to have
> appeared in all 8 "American Pie" films (including spinoffs)?

There were *8* of them? Yeeps. I'll try Myers.

> 8 Which British actor portrayed Thomas Cromwell in the BBC TV
> series "Wolf Hall" and the title role in Steven Spielberg's
> 2016 movie "The BFG"?

Irons? He's an actor.

> 9 Avocadoes, wheat germ and many nuts are good sources of which
> vitamin?

Got me. B?

> 10 Which benefit concert began as a one-off event organised by
> Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young held in Illinois
> in 1985, but soon became an annual event and in 2015 celebrated
> its 30th anniversary?

Coachella? That's a concert.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You often seem quite gracious, in your way."
m...@vex.net | --Steve Summit

Dan Tilque

Jan 16, 2017, 1:24:18 AM1/16/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which element makes up about 10% of the alloy bronze?

zinc

> 2 In 1964 which two African countries became Tanzania?

Tanganyika and Zanzibar

> 3 In 1861 who was elected President of the Confederated States of America?

Jefferson Davis

> 4 Which country was awarded the George Cross in 1942, with the symbol now incorporated in its flag?

Malta

> 5 Which British author wrote the 1941 novel "Evil Under the Sun"?

Orwell ??

> 6 Which car manufacturer produced the Oldsmobile from 1908-2004?

Gemeral Motors

> 7 Which veteran Canadian actor is the only person to have appeared in all 8 "American Pie" films (including spinoffs)?
> 8 Which British actor portrayed Thomas Cromwell in the BBC TV series "Wolf Hall" and the title role in Steven Spielberg's 2016 movie "The BFG"?
> 9 Avocadoes, wheat germ and many nuts are good sources of which vitamin?

vitamin E

> 10 Which benefit concert began as a one-off event organised by Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young held in Illinois in 1985, but soon became an annual event and in 2015 celebrated its 30th anniversary?

Band Aid

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 16, 2017, 3:12:57 AM1/16/17
In article <4b3cf0cb-8692-47c2...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which element makes up about 10% of the alloy bronze?
tin

> 2 In 1964 which two African countries became Tanzania?
Tanganyika and Zanzibar

> 3 In 1861 who was elected President of the Confederated States of America?
Jefferson Davis

> 4 Which country was awarded the George Cross in 1942, with the symbol now incorporated in its flag?
> 5 Which British author wrote the 1941 novel "Evil Under the Sun"?
Agatha Christie

> 6 Which car manufacturer produced the Oldsmobile from 1908-2004?
General Motors

> 7 Which veteran Canadian actor is the only person to have appeared in all 8 "American Pie" films (including spinoffs)?
Eugene Levy

> 8 Which British actor portrayed Thomas Cromwell in the BBC TV series "Wolf Hall" and the title role in Steven Spielberg's 2016 movie "The BFG"?
> 9 Avocadoes, wheat germ and many nuts are good sources of which vitamin?

> 10 Which benefit concert began as a one-off event organised by Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young held in Illinois in 1985, but soon became an annual event and in 2015 celebrated its 30th anniversary?
Farm Aid

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Jan 16, 2017, 11:58:16 AM1/16/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which element makes up about 10% of the alloy bronze?

Copper

> 2 In 1964 which two African countries became Tanzania?

Tanganyika and Zanzibar

> 3 In 1861 who was elected President of the Confederated States of
> America?

Jefferson Davis

> 4 Which country was awarded the George Cross in 1942,
> with the symbol now incorporated in its flag?
> 5 Which British
> author wrote the 1941 novel "Evil Under the Sun"?
> 6 Which car manufacturer produced the Oldsmobile from 1908-2004?

General Motors

> 7 Which
> veteran Canadian actor is the only person to have appeared in all 8
> "American Pie" films (including spinoffs)?
> 8 Which British actor
> portrayed Thomas Cromwell in the BBC TV series "Wolf Hall" and the
> title role in Steven Spielberg's 2016 movie "The BFG"?
> 9 Avocadoes, wheat germ and many nuts are good sources of which
> vitamin?

> 10 Which benefit concert began as a one-off event organised by
> Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young held in Illinois in
> 1985, but soon became an annual event and in 2015 celebrated its 30th
> anniversary?

Farm Aid

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Peter Smyth

Jan 16, 2017, 7:03:07 PM1/16/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which element makes up about 10% of the alloy bronze?
Tin
> 2 In 1964 which two African countries became Tanzania?
Tanganyika (sp?) and Zanzibar
> 3 In 1861 who was elected President of the Confederated States of
> America?
Jefferson Davis
> 4 Which country was awarded the George Cross in 1942, with the
> symbol now incorporated in its flag?
Malta
> 5 Which British author wrote the 1941 novel "Evil Under the Sun"?
>
> 6 Which car manufacturer produced the Oldsmobile from 1908-2004?
General Motors
> 7 Which veteran Canadian actor is the only person to have appeared
> in all 8 "American Pie" films (including spinoffs)?
>
> 8 Which British actor portrayed Thomas Cromwell in the BBC TV series
> "Wolf Hall" and the title role in Steven Spielberg's 2016 movie "The
> BFG"?
>
> 9 Avocadoes, wheat germ and many nuts are good sources of which
> vitamin?
> 10 Which benefit concert began as a one-off event organised by Willie
> Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young held in Illinois in 1985, but
> soon became an annual event and in 2015 celebrated its 30th
> anniversary?

Peter Smyth

Calvin

Jan 19, 2017, 5:23:06 PM1/19/17
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 11:27:05 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which element makes up about 10% of the alloy bronze?

Tin

> 2 In 1964 which two African countries became Tanzania?

Tanganyika and Zanzibar

> 3 In 1861 who was elected President of the Confederated States of America?

Jefferson Davis

> 4 Which country was awarded the George Cross in 1942, with the symbol now incorporated in its flag?

Malta

> 5 Which British author wrote the 1941 novel "Evil Under the Sun"?

Agatha Christie

> 6 Which car manufacturer produced the Oldsmobile from 1908-2004?

GM
The truth is a little more complicated- see Mark's post for details.

> 7 Which veteran Canadian actor is the only person to have appeared in all 8 "American Pie" films (including spinoffs)?

Eugene Levy

> 8 Which British actor portrayed Thomas Cromwell in the BBC TV series "Wolf Hall" and the title role in Steven Spielberg's 2016 movie "The BFG"?

Mark Rylance

> 9 Avocadoes, wheat germ and many nuts are good sources of which vitamin?

> 10 Which benefit concert began as a one-off event organised by Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young held in Illinois in 1985, but soon became an annual event and in 2015 celebrated its 30th anniversary?

Farm Aid

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 470
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 33 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 6 29 Dan Blum
0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 6 30 Dan Tilque
0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 5 26 Mark Brader