RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: CanLitChars, global warming

Mark Brader

May 12, 2023, 12:08:46 AM5/12/23
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Google introduced to Canada on Wednesday a TV streaming gadget.
What is it called?

2. The "most hated man in America" died on Wednesday -- the
founder of the Westboro Baptist Church. What was his name?

* Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Characters

We will name and describe a literary character from a Canadian work
of fiction, and you will name the *author* who created the character.

1. Hagar Shipley, a 90-year-old woman facing her mortality and
reviewing her past.

2. Brian O'Connal, a sensitive boy growing up in a small
Depression-era Saskatchewan town.

3. Percival "King" Leary, a legendary retired hockey player living
in a small-town nursing home.

4. Robert Ross, a World War I officer who loses his sanity and is
court-martialed after a tragic event.

5. Barney Panofsky, a thrice-married hack TV producer.

6. Grace Marks, an amnesiac servant girl convicted of murder.

7. Dunstan Ramsay, a mild-mannered schoolteacher.

8. Joanne Kilbourn, a Saskatchewan widow and political scientist
with a nose for crime.

9. Piscine Molitor Patel, a zookeeper's son with a strong survival
instinct.

10. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, of the homicide department of the Sûreté
du Québec.

* Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Global Warming

1. The graph of average global temperature over the last 1,000
years, showing a sudden rise starting at the beginning of the
Industrial Revolution, is often described in terms of what
sports-related item?

2. The 2009 leak of email messages from the Climatic Research
Unit of the University of East Anglia sparked controversy when
climate-change deniers claimed they showed that researchers
were manipulating climate data. What was this potential scandal
dubbed in the press?

3. Climatologists derive a record of historical global average
temperatures going back centuries by analysing two main sources
of information. Name either one.

4. The unexpected and extremely rapid breakup of these glacier-
related features has alarmed climatologists, as it suggests the
effects of global warming are occurring much more rapidly than
originally believed. The most alarming example occurred in 2002
when one of these, known as Larson B, completely disintegrated
in just 35 days. What features?

5. Name the place where this region contains the next-largest amount
of the world's frozen fresh water, after the Antarctic, is found.
It is also of great concern for climate-change researchers,
as the worst-case scenario of a total melt of this ice alone
would raise the sea level by 23 feet (7 m).

6. Which gas emitted by livestock (e.g. cows and sheep) is a major
greenhouse gas? It potentially contributes more yearly to
global warming than all cars, trucks, and other means of
transportation combined.

7. Name the 2006 documentary about Al Gore's campaign to educate citizens
about global warming, which has been credited with having a major
impact on climate-change awareness and with reenergizing the
environmental movement.

8. What name is given by scientists to any system, either biological
or artificial, that serves to pull carbon dioxide out of the
atmosphere and keep it sequestered? Examples often referred
to in global-warming discussions include the world's oceans,
and forests and other vegetation.

9. What scientific-sounding adjective is applied to global warming
believed to be brought about by human activity? The term is
used to differentiate it from changes caused by natural events
such as volcanos or changes in solar output.

10. A 1997 protocol is the first agreement between nations to
mandate reductions in greenhouse gases. It is named after what
city, where the treaty was adopted?

--
Mark Brader | "And it's a moment in which there has never been
Toronto | a bigger ocean of [alphabet] soup from which

Dan Blum

May 12, 2023, 12:30:07 AM5/12/23
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Global Warming

> 1. The graph of average global temperature over the last 1,000
> years, showing a sudden rise starting at the beginning of the
> Industrial Revolution, is often described in terms of what
> sports-related item?

hockey stick

> 3. Climatologists derive a record of historical global average
> temperatures going back centuries by analysing two main sources
> of information. Name either one.

tree rings

> 4. The unexpected and extremely rapid breakup of these glacier-
> related features has alarmed climatologists, as it suggests the
> effects of global warming are occurring much more rapidly than
> originally believed. The most alarming example occurred in 2002
> when one of these, known as Larson B, completely disintegrated
> in just 35 days. What features?

ice shelves

> 5. Name the place where this region contains the next-largest amount
> of the world's frozen fresh water, after the Antarctic, is found.
> It is also of great concern for climate-change researchers,
> as the worst-case scenario of a total melt of this ice alone
> would raise the sea level by 23 feet (7 m).

Greenland

> 6. Which gas emitted by livestock (e.g. cows and sheep) is a major
> greenhouse gas? It potentially contributes more yearly to
> global warming than all cars, trucks, and other means of
> transportation combined.

methane

> 7. Name the 2006 documentary about Al Gore's campaign to educate citizens
> about global warming, which has been credited with having a major
> impact on climate-change awareness and with reenergizing the
> environmental movement.

An Inconvenient Truth

> 9. What scientific-sounding adjective is applied to global warming
> believed to be brought about by human activity? The term is
> used to differentiate it from changes caused by natural events
> such as volcanos or changes in solar output.

anthropogenic

> 10. A 1997 protocol is the first agreement between nations to
> mandate reductions in greenhouse gases. It is named after what
> city, where the treaty was adopted?

Kyoto

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

May 12, 2023, 2:08:28 AM5/12/23
On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 11:08:46 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Characters
>
> We will name and describe a literary character from a Canadian work
> of fiction, and you will name the *author* who created the character.
>
> 5. Barney Panofsky, a thrice-married hack TV producer.

Richler

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Global Warming
>
> 1. The graph of average global temperature over the last 1,000
> years, showing a sudden rise starting at the beginning of the
> Industrial Revolution, is often described in terms of what
> sports-related item?

hockey stick

> 2. The 2009 leak of email messages from the Climatic Research
> Unit of the University of East Anglia sparked controversy when
> climate-change deniers claimed they showed that researchers
> were manipulating climate data. What was this potential scandal
> dubbed in the press?

Climategate

> 3. Climatologists derive a record of historical global average
> temperatures going back centuries by analysing two main sources
> of information. Name either one.

tree rings

> 4. The unexpected and extremely rapid breakup of these glacier-
> related features has alarmed climatologists, as it suggests the
> effects of global warming are occurring much more rapidly than
> originally believed. The most alarming example occurred in 2002
> when one of these, known as Larson B, completely disintegrated
> in just 35 days. What features?

icebergs

> 5. Name the place where this region contains the next-largest amount
> of the world's frozen fresh water, after the Antarctic, is found.
> It is also of great concern for climate-change researchers,
> as the worst-case scenario of a total melt of this ice alone
> would raise the sea level by 23 feet (7 m).

Greenland

> 6. Which gas emitted by livestock (e.g. cows and sheep) is a major
> greenhouse gas? It potentially contributes more yearly to
> global warming than all cars, trucks, and other means of
> transportation combined.

methane

> 7. Name the 2006 documentary about Al Gore's campaign to educate citizens
> about global warming, which has been credited with having a major
> impact on climate-change awareness and with reenergizing the
> environmental movement.

"An Inconvenient Truth"

> 8. What name is given by scientists to any system, either biological
> or artificial, that serves to pull carbon dioxide out of the
> atmosphere and keep it sequestered? Examples often referred
> to in global-warming discussions include the world's oceans,
> and forests and other vegetation.

carbon sink

> 9. What scientific-sounding adjective is applied to global warming
> believed to be brought about by human activity? The term is
> used to differentiate it from changes caused by natural events
> such as volcanos or changes in solar output.

anthropogenic

> 10. A 1997 protocol is the first agreement between nations to
> mandate reductions in greenhouse gases. It is named after what
> city, where the treaty was adopted?

Kyoto; Paris

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

May 12, 2023, 2:30:10 AM5/12/23
On 5/11/23 21:07, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Google introduced to Canada on Wednesday a TV streaming gadget.
> What is it called?
>
> 2. The "most hated man in America" died on Wednesday -- the
> founder of the Westboro Baptist Church. What was his name?
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Characters
>
> We will name and describe a literary character from a Canadian work
> of fiction, and you will name the *author* who created the character.
>
> 1. Hagar Shipley, a 90-year-old woman facing her mortality and
> reviewing her past.

Margaret Atwood

> 2. Brian O'Connal, a sensitive boy growing up in a small
> Depression-era Saskatchewan town.
>
> 3. Percival "King" Leary, a legendary retired hockey player living
> in a small-town nursing home.
>
> 4. Robert Ross, a World War I officer who loses his sanity and is
> court-martialed after a tragic event.
>
> 5. Barney Panofsky, a thrice-married hack TV producer.
>
> 6. Grace Marks, an amnesiac servant girl convicted of murder.
>
> 7. Dunstan Ramsay, a mild-mannered schoolteacher.
>
> 8. Joanne Kilbourn, a Saskatchewan widow and political scientist
> with a nose for crime.
>
> 9. Piscine Molitor Patel, a zookeeper's son with a strong survival
> instinct.
>
> 10. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, of the homicide department of the Sûreté
> du Québec.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Global Warming
>
> 1. The graph of average global temperature over the last 1,000
> years, showing a sudden rise starting at the beginning of the
> Industrial Revolution, is often described in terms of what
> sports-related item?

hockey stick

> 2. The 2009 leak of email messages from the Climatic Research
> Unit of the University of East Anglia sparked controversy when
> climate-change deniers claimed they showed that researchers
> were manipulating climate data. What was this potential scandal
> dubbed in the press?

Climategate

> 3. Climatologists derive a record of historical global average
> temperatures going back centuries by analysing two main sources
> of information. Name either one.

ice cores from glaciers

> 4. The unexpected and extremely rapid breakup of these glacier-
> related features has alarmed climatologists, as it suggests the
> effects of global warming are occurring much more rapidly than
> originally believed. The most alarming example occurred in 2002
> when one of these, known as Larson B, completely disintegrated
> in just 35 days. What features?

ice shelf

> 5. Name the place where this region contains the next-largest amount
> of the world's frozen fresh water, after the Antarctic, is found.
> It is also of great concern for climate-change researchers,
> as the worst-case scenario of a total melt of this ice alone
> would raise the sea level by 23 feet (7 m).

Greenland

> 6. Which gas emitted by livestock (e.g. cows and sheep) is a major
> greenhouse gas? It potentially contributes more yearly to
> global warming than all cars, trucks, and other means of
> transportation combined.

methane

> 7. Name the 2006 documentary about Al Gore's campaign to educate citizens
> about global warming, which has been credited with having a major
> impact on climate-change awareness and with reenergizing the
> environmental movement.

An Inconvenient Truth

> 8. What name is given by scientists to any system, either biological
> or artificial, that serves to pull carbon dioxide out of the
> atmosphere and keep it sequestered? Examples often referred
> to in global-warming discussions include the world's oceans,
> and forests and other vegetation.

carbon sink

> 9. What scientific-sounding adjective is applied to global warming
> believed to be brought about by human activity? The term is
> used to differentiate it from changes caused by natural events
> such as volcanos or changes in solar output.

anthropogenic

> 10. A 1997 protocol is the first agreement between nations to
> mandate reductions in greenhouse gases. It is named after what
> city, where the treaty was adopted?

Kyoto Protocol

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

May 13, 2023, 5:24:46 PM5/13/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Global Warming
>
> 1. The graph of average global temperature over the last 1,000
> years, showing a sudden rise starting at the beginning of the
> Industrial Revolution, is often described in terms of what
> sports-related item?

Hockey stick

> 2. The 2009 leak of email messages from the Climatic Research
> Unit of the University of East Anglia sparked controversy when
> climate-change deniers claimed they showed that researchers
> were manipulating climate data. What was this potential scandal
> dubbed in the press?

Climategate

> 3. Climatologists derive a record of historical global average
> temperatures going back centuries by analysing two main sources
> of information. Name either one.

Deontochronlogy

> 5. Name the place where this region contains the next-largest amount
> of the world's frozen fresh water, after the Antarctic, is found.
> It is also of great concern for climate-change researchers,
> as the worst-case scenario of a total melt of this ice alone
> would raise the sea level by 23 feet (7 m).

Greenland

> 6. Which gas emitted by livestock (e.g. cows and sheep) is a major
> greenhouse gas? It potentially contributes more yearly to
> global warming than all cars, trucks, and other means of
> transportation combined.

Methane

> 10. A 1997 protocol is the first agreement between nations to
> mandate reductions in greenhouse gases. It is named after what
> city, where the treaty was adopted?

Kyoto

Pete Gayde

May 14, 2023, 3:56:34 PM5/14/23
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Google introduced to Canada on Wednesday a TV streaming gadget.
> What is it called?

Chromecast
Hockey stick

> 2. The 2009 leak of email messages from the Climatic Research
> Unit of the University of East Anglia sparked controversy when
> climate-change deniers claimed they showed that researchers
> were manipulating climate data. What was this potential scandal
> dubbed in the press?
>
> 3. Climatologists derive a record of historical global average
> temperatures going back centuries by analysing two main sources
> of information. Name either one.

Ice cores

> 4. The unexpected and extremely rapid breakup of these glacier-
> related features has alarmed climatologists, as it suggests the
> effects of global warming are occurring much more rapidly than
> originally believed. The most alarming example occurred in 2002
> when one of these, known as Larson B, completely disintegrated
> in just 35 days. What features?

Ice shelf

> 5. Name the place where this region contains the next-largest amount
> of the world's frozen fresh water, after the Antarctic, is found.
> It is also of great concern for climate-change researchers,
> as the worst-case scenario of a total melt of this ice alone
> would raise the sea level by 23 feet (7 m).

Siberia

> 6. Which gas emitted by livestock (e.g. cows and sheep) is a major
> greenhouse gas? It potentially contributes more yearly to
> global warming than all cars, trucks, and other means of
> transportation combined.

Methane

> 7. Name the 2006 documentary about Al Gore's campaign to educate citizens
> about global warming, which has been credited with having a major
> impact on climate-change awareness and with reenergizing the
> environmental movement.

An Inconvenient Truth

> 8. What name is given by scientists to any system, either biological
> or artificial, that serves to pull carbon dioxide out of the
> atmosphere and keep it sequestered? Examples often referred
> to in global-warming discussions include the world's oceans,
> and forests and other vegetation.

Carbon neutral

> 9. What scientific-sounding adjective is applied to global warming
> believed to be brought about by human activity? The term is
> used to differentiate it from changes caused by natural events
> such as volcanos or changes in solar output.
>
> 10. A 1997 protocol is the first agreement between nations to
> mandate reductions in greenhouse gases. It is named after what
> city, where the treaty was adopted?

Paris

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

May 15, 2023, 1:33:16 AM5/15/23
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Google introduced to Canada on Wednesday a TV streaming gadget.
> What is it called?

Google Chromecast. Pete got this.

> 2. The "most hated man in America" died on Wednesday -- the
> founder of the Westboro Baptist Church. What was his name?

Fred Phelps.

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Canadiana Literature - Characters

> We will name and describe a literary character from a Canadian work
> of fiction, and you will name the *author* who created the character.

> 1. Hagar Shipley, a 90-year-old woman facing her mortality and
> reviewing her past.

Margaret Laurence ("The Stone Angel").

> 2. Brian O'Connal, a sensitive boy growing up in a small
> Depression-era Saskatchewan town.

W.O. Mitchell ("Who Has Seen the Wind").

> 3. Percival "King" Leary, a legendary retired hockey player living
> in a small-town nursing home.

Paul Quarrington ("King Leary").

> 4. Robert Ross, a World War I officer who loses his sanity and is
> court-martialed after a tragic event.

Timothy Findley ("The Wars").

> 5. Barney Panofsky, a thrice-married hack TV producer.

Mordecai Richler ("Barney's Version"). 4 for Joshua.

> 6. Grace Marks, an amnesiac servant girl convicted of murder.

Margaret Atwood ("Alias Grace").

> 7. Dunstan Ramsay, a mild-mannered schoolteacher.

Robertson Davies ("Fifth Business", etc.).

> 8. Joanne Kilbourn, a Saskatchewan widow and political scientist
> with a nose for crime.

Gail Bowen ("Deadly Appearances", etc.).

> 9. Piscine Molitor Patel, a zookeeper's son with a strong survival
> instinct.

Yann Martel ("The Life of Pi").

> 10. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, of the homicide department of the Sûreté
> du Québec.

Louise Penny ("Still Life", etc.).

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Science - Global Warming

> 1. The graph of average global temperature over the last 1,000
> years, showing a sudden rise starting at the beginning of the
> Industrial Revolution, is often described in terms of what
> sports-related item?

Hockey stick. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Erland, and Pete.

> 2. The 2009 leak of email messages from the Climatic Research
> Unit of the University of East Anglia sparked controversy when
> climate-change deniers claimed they showed that researchers
> were manipulating climate data. What was this potential scandal
> dubbed in the press?

Climategate. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 3. Climatologists derive a record of historical global average
> temperatures going back centuries by analysing two main sources
> of information. Name either one.

Pollen, tree rings. "Ice cores" was also accepted on a protest, as
pollen can be found in these. I did not consider "deontochronlogy"
close enough to, ah, consider. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 4. The unexpected and extremely rapid breakup of these glacier-
> related features has alarmed climatologists, as it suggests the
> effects of global warming are occurring much more rapidly than
> originally believed. The most alarming example occurred in 2002
> when one of these, known as Larson B, completely disintegrated
> in just 35 days. What features?

Ice shelves. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. Name the place where this region contains the next-largest amount
> of the world's frozen fresh water, after the Antarctic, is found.
> It is also of great concern for climate-change researchers,
> as the worst-case scenario of a total melt of this ice alone
> would raise the sea level by 23 feet (7 m).

Greenland. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 6. Which gas emitted by livestock (e.g. cows and sheep) is a major
> greenhouse gas? It potentially contributes more yearly to
> global warming than all cars, trucks, and other means of
> transportation combined.

Methane. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Name the 2006 documentary about Al Gore's campaign to educate citizens
> about global warming, which has been credited with having a major
> impact on climate-change awareness and with reenergizing the
> environmental movement.

"An Inconvenient Truth". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 8. What name is given by scientists to any system, either biological
> or artificial, that serves to pull carbon dioxide out of the
> atmosphere and keep it sequestered? Examples often referred
> to in global-warming discussions include the world's oceans,
> and forests and other vegetation.

A carbon sink. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 9. What scientific-sounding adjective is applied to global warming
> believed to be brought about by human activity? The term is
> used to differentiate it from changes caused by natural events
> such as volcanos or changes in solar output.

Anthropogenic. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. A 1997 protocol is the first agreement between nations to
> mandate reductions in greenhouse gases. It is named after what
> city, where the treaty was adopted?

Kyoto. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 3 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Sci
Dan Tilque 0 40 40
Joshua Kreitzer 4 35 39
Dan Blum 0 32 32
Pete Gayde 0 20 20
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 20

--
Mark Brader | "...he entertained the notion that I was cribbing from
Toronto | other [students' exams] until it was pointed out that