RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: frequencies, poisonings

Mark Brader

Mar 14, 2023, 3:01:05 AM3/14/23
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 4 - Science - What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

Here are some frequencies and wavelengths. For each item we
name below, give the corresponding entry on the following list.
In some cases the frequencies are approximate.

* 0.01 to 10 nm
* 2.3 to 26.1 MHz
* 2.45 GHz
* 3 to 60 Hz
* 8 to 15 痠
* 21 cm
* 25 to 20,000 Hz
* 40 to 60,000 Hz
* 44.1 kHz
* 54 to 88 MHz and 174 to 216 MHz
* 96 to 320 kbps
* 380 to 750 nm
* 540 to 1,610 kHz
* 850 band and 1,900 band
* 900 MHz, 1.9 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz
* 1,420 MHz
* 9,192,631,770 Hz

1. Shortwave radio.
2. """Currently""" sold cordless phones.
3. Compact-disc recording sampling rate.
4. Cesium-atom atomic clock.
5. Microwave oven.
6. X-rays.
7. Canine hearing range.
8. VHF television band.

9. Schumann resonances. These are global electromagnetic resonances
in the ELF portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, excited
by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth's
surface and the ionosphere, often more simply referred to as
the "global electrical circuit".

10. Hydrogen atom spectral line. It's been proposed that advanced
alien civilizations might try to make contact using this
frequency due to the ubiquity of hydrogen in the universe,
the ability of this frequency to penetrate cosmic dust, and
the relative quiet of this part of the radio spectrum

11. If you like, identify the other entries on the list for fun,
but for no points.

* Game 4, Round 6 - History - Famous Poisonings

The following are some famous incidents of intentional poisoning.
throughout history, either single or en masse, and sometimes
self-administered,

1. Roman emperor Augustus was alleged to be so afraid of being
poisoned by his wife Livia that he took to gathering his
own food. But legend has it that she managed to feed him
poison anyway. Name the specific food he ate which it is said
she poisoned.

2. The world was shocked in 2006 when expatriate Russian journalist
Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned in London, England. Before he
died, he alleged the deed was done at President Putin's behest.
Name the substance used to poison him, possibly fed to him in
some sushi.

3. He made his followers in the People's Temple cult drink
cyanide-laced fruit punch in 1978. 918 people died. What
was this cult leader's *first and last* name?

4. It is often portrayed that this philosopher poisoned himself
rather than choose exile. More accurately, he willingly drank
poison in fulfillment of his death sentence for the crimes of
"corrupting youth" and "impiety", instead of taking the clear
opportunity provided to him to escape when his followers
successfully bribed his guards. Who was he?

5. Similarly, this German national hero agreed to take a cyanide
pill in return for Hitler's assurance not to persecute his
family afterwards. His death was officially reported to have
been the result of injuries previously sustained when his car
was strafed by an RAF fighter. Who was he?

6. He was an important codebreaker during England's WW2 war effort
and made fundamental contributions to computer science, but was
rewarded by his country with a prosecution for homosexuality
in 1952. He committed suicide by eating a cyanide-laced apple.
Who was he?

7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was killed in London in
1978 by an assassin who managed to inject him with a ricin-filled
micro-pellet, delivered using a cleverly rigged version of what
common item?

8. Members of the Heaven's Gate cult committed mass suicide in 1997
by taking phenobarbital with vodka (and then wrapping plastic
bags around their heads for good measure), believing that a
spaceship was coming, trailing a comet, to transport their
souls to a higher level of existence. Name the *comet*.

9. How does tradition hold that Cleopatra poisoned herself?
Be specific.

10. Qin ["Chin"] Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, and the
ruler for whom the famous "terracotta army" of clay soldiers was
created, died in 201 BC after purposely ingesting mercury pills.
Why did Emperor Qin swallow mercury?

--
Mark Brader "Also, be sure to include your signature TWICE in
Toronto each article. That way you're sure people will

Dan Tilque

Mar 14, 2023, 11:38:59 AM3/14/23
On 3/14/23 00:00, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
>
> Here are some frequencies and wavelengths. For each item we
> name below, give the corresponding entry on the following list.
> In some cases the frequencies are approximate.
>
> * 0.01 to 10 nm
> * 2.3 to 26.1 MHz
> * 2.45 GHz
> * 3 to 60 Hz
> * 8 to 15 µm
> * 21 cm
> * 25 to 20,000 Hz
> * 40 to 60,000 Hz
> * 44.1 kHz
> * 54 to 88 MHz and 174 to 216 MHz
> * 96 to 320 kbps
> * 380 to 750 nm
> * 540 to 1,610 kHz
> * 850 band and 1,900 band
> * 900 MHz, 1.9 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz
> * 1,420 MHz
> * 9,192,631,770 Hz
>
> 1. Shortwave radio.

2.3 to 26.1 MHz

> 2. """Currently""" sold cordless phones.

900 MHz, 1.9 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz

> 3. Compact-disc recording sampling rate.

96 to 320 kbps

> 4. Cesium-atom atomic clock.

9,192,631,770 Hz

> 5. Microwave oven.

2.45 GHz

> 6. X-rays.

8 to 15 µm

> 7. Canine hearing range.

40 to 60,000 Hz

> 8. VHF television band.

54 to 88 MHz and 174 to 216 MHz

> 9. Schumann resonances. These are global electromagnetic resonances
> in the ELF portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, excited
> by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth's
> surface and the ionosphere, often more simply referred to as
> the "global electrical circuit".

3 to 60 Hz

> 10. Hydrogen atom spectral line. It's been proposed that advanced
> alien civilizations might try to make contact using this
> frequency due to the ubiquity of hydrogen in the universe,
> the ability of this frequency to penetrate cosmic dust, and
> the relative quiet of this part of the radio spectrum

21 cm

> 11. If you like, identify the other entries on the list for fun,
> but for no points.

25 to 20,000 Hz -- human hearing range

380 to 750 nm -- visible light

540 to 1,610 kHz -- AM radio

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - Famous Poisonings
>
> The following are some famous incidents of intentional poisoning.
> throughout history, either single or en masse, and sometimes
> self-administered,
>
> 1. Roman emperor Augustus was alleged to be so afraid of being
> poisoned by his wife Livia that he took to gathering his
> own food. But legend has it that she managed to feed him
> poison anyway. Name the specific food he ate which it is said
> she poisoned.
>
> 2. The world was shocked in 2006 when expatriate Russian journalist
> Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned in London, England. Before he
> died, he alleged the deed was done at President Putin's behest.
> Name the substance used to poison him, possibly fed to him in
> some sushi.

polonium

> 3. He made his followers in the People's Temple cult drink
> cyanide-laced fruit punch in 1978. 918 people died. What
> was this cult leader's *first and last* name?

Jim Jones

> 4. It is often portrayed that this philosopher poisoned himself
> rather than choose exile. More accurately, he willingly drank
> poison in fulfillment of his death sentence for the crimes of
> "corrupting youth" and "impiety", instead of taking the clear
> opportunity provided to him to escape when his followers
> successfully bribed his guards. Who was he?

Socrates

> 5. Similarly, this German national hero agreed to take a cyanide
> pill in return for Hitler's assurance not to persecute his
> family afterwards. His death was officially reported to have
> been the result of injuries previously sustained when his car
> was strafed by an RAF fighter. Who was he?

Rommel

> 6. He was an important codebreaker during England's WW2 war effort
> and made fundamental contributions to computer science, but was
> rewarded by his country with a prosecution for homosexuality
> in 1952. He committed suicide by eating a cyanide-laced apple.
> Who was he?

Turing

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was killed in London in
> 1978 by an assassin who managed to inject him with a ricin-filled
> micro-pellet, delivered using a cleverly rigged version of what
> common item?

umbrella

> 8. Members of the Heaven's Gate cult committed mass suicide in 1997
> by taking phenobarbital with vodka (and then wrapping plastic
> bags around their heads for good measure), believing that a
> spaceship was coming, trailing a comet, to transport their
> souls to a higher level of existence. Name the *comet*.

Hale-Bopp

> 9. How does tradition hold that Cleopatra poisoned herself?
> Be specific.

held an adder to her breast

> 10. Qin ["Chin"] Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, and the
> ruler for whom the famous "terracotta army" of clay soldiers was
> created, died in 201 BC after purposely ingesting mercury pills.
> Why did Emperor Qin swallow mercury?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 14, 2023, 4:27:27 PM3/14/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
>
> Here are some frequencies and wavelengths. For each item we
> name below, give the corresponding entry on the following list.
> In some cases the frequencies are approximate.
>
> * 0.01 to 10 nm
> * 2.3 to 26.1 MHz
> * 2.45 GHz
> * 3 to 60 Hz
> * 8 to 15 µm
> * 21 cm
> * 25 to 20,000 Hz
> * 40 to 60,000 Hz
> * 44.1 kHz
> * 54 to 88 MHz and 174 to 216 MHz
> * 96 to 320 kbps
> * 380 to 750 nm
> * 540 to 1,610 kHz
> * 850 band and 1,900 band
> * 900 MHz, 1.9 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz
> * 1,420 MHz
> * 9,192,631,770 Hz
>
> 1. Shortwave radio.

2.3 to 26.1 MHz

> 2. """Currently""" sold cordless phones.

850 band and 1,900 band

> 3. Compact-disc recording sampling rate.

44.1 kHz

> 4. Cesium-atom atomic clock.

9,192,631,770 Hz

> 5. Microwave oven.

8 to 15 µm

> 6. X-rays.

0.01 to 10 nm

> 7. Canine hearing range.

40 to 60.000 Hz

> 8. VHF television band.

54 to 88 MHz and 174 to 216 MHz

> 9. Schumann resonances. These are global electromagnetic resonances
> in the ELF portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, excited
> by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth's
> surface and the ionosphere, often more simply referred to as
> the "global electrical circuit".

21 cm

> 10. Hydrogen atom spectral line. It's been proposed that advanced
> alien civilizations might try to make contact using this
> frequency due to the ubiquity of hydrogen in the universe,
> the ability of this frequency to penetrate cosmic dust, and
> the relative quiet of this part of the radio spectrum

1,420 MHz

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - Famous Poisonings
>
> 2. The world was shocked in 2006 when expatriate Russian journalist
> Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned in London, England. Before he
> died, he alleged the deed was done at President Putin's behest.
> Name the substance used to poison him, possibly fed to him in
> some sushi.

Polonium

> 3. He made his followers in the People's Temple cult drink
> cyanide-laced fruit punch in 1978. 918 people died. What
> was this cult leader's *first and last* name?

Moon Ra

> 4. It is often portrayed that this philosopher poisoned himself
> rather than choose exile. More accurately, he willingly drank
> poison in fulfillment of his death sentence for the crimes of
> "corrupting youth" and "impiety", instead of taking the clear
> opportunity provided to him to escape when his followers
> successfully bribed his guards. Who was he?

Socrate

> 6. He was an important codebreaker during England's WW2 war effort
> and made fundamental contributions to computer science, but was
> rewarded by his country with a prosecution for homosexuality
> in 1952. He committed suicide by eating a cyanide-laced apple.
> Who was he?

Alan Turing

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was killed in London in
> 1978 by an assassin who managed to inject him with a ricin-filled
> micro-pellet, delivered using a cleverly rigged version of what
> common item?

Umbrella

> 8. Members of the Heaven's Gate cult committed mass suicide in 1997
> by taking phenobarbital with vodka (and then wrapping plastic
> bags around their heads for good measure), believing that a
> spaceship was coming, trailing a comet, to transport their
> souls to a higher level of existence. Name the *comet*.

Haley's

> 9. How does tradition hold that Cleopatra poisoned herself?
> Be specific.

Bitten by a cobra

> 10. Qin ["Chin"] Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, and the
> ruler for whom the famous "terracotta army" of clay soldiers was
> created, died in 201 BC after purposely ingesting mercury pills.
> Why did Emperor Qin swallow mercury?

Belived that it could give him eternal life.

Dan Blum

Mar 14, 2023, 6:07:51 PM3/14/23
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

> 1. Shortwave radio.

850 band and 1,900 band

> 2. """Currently""" sold cordless phones.

900 MHz, 1.9 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz

> 3. Compact-disc recording sampling rate.

44.1 kHz

> 4. Cesium-atom atomic clock.

9,192,631,770 Hz

> 5. Microwave oven.

8 to 15 ?m

> 6. X-rays.

0.01 to 10 nm

> 7. Canine hearing range.

40 to 60,000 Hz

> 8. VHF television band.

2.3 to 26.1 MHz

> 9. Schumann resonances. These are global electromagnetic resonances
> in the ELF portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, excited
> by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth's
> surface and the ionosphere, often more simply referred to as
> the "global electrical circuit".

2.45 GHz

> 10. Hydrogen atom spectral line. It's been proposed that advanced
> alien civilizations might try to make contact using this
> frequency due to the ubiquity of hydrogen in the universe,
> the ability of this frequency to penetrate cosmic dust, and
> the relative quiet of this part of the radio spectrum

21 cm

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - Famous Poisonings

> 2. The world was shocked in 2006 when expatriate Russian journalist
> Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned in London, England. Before he
> died, he alleged the deed was done at President Putin's behest.
> Name the substance used to poison him, possibly fed to him in
> some sushi.

polonium

> 3. He made his followers in the People's Temple cult drink
> cyanide-laced fruit punch in 1978. 918 people died. What
> was this cult leader's *first and last* name?

Jim Jones

> 4. It is often portrayed that this philosopher poisoned himself
> rather than choose exile. More accurately, he willingly drank
> poison in fulfillment of his death sentence for the crimes of
> "corrupting youth" and "impiety", instead of taking the clear
> opportunity provided to him to escape when his followers
> successfully bribed his guards. Who was he?

Socrates

> 5. Similarly, this German national hero agreed to take a cyanide
> pill in return for Hitler's assurance not to persecute his
> family afterwards. His death was officially reported to have
> been the result of injuries previously sustained when his car
> was strafed by an RAF fighter. Who was he?

Rommel

> 6. He was an important codebreaker during England's WW2 war effort
> and made fundamental contributions to computer science, but was
> rewarded by his country with a prosecution for homosexuality
> in 1952. He committed suicide by eating a cyanide-laced apple.
> Who was he?

Alan Turing

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was killed in London in
> 1978 by an assassin who managed to inject him with a ricin-filled
> micro-pellet, delivered using a cleverly rigged version of what
> common item?

umbrella

> 8. Members of the Heaven's Gate cult committed mass suicide in 1997
> by taking phenobarbital with vodka (and then wrapping plastic
> bags around their heads for good measure), believing that a
> spaceship was coming, trailing a comet, to transport their
> souls to a higher level of existence. Name the *comet*.

Hale-Bopp

> 9. How does tradition hold that Cleopatra poisoned herself?
> Be specific.

by holding an asp to her breast until it bit her

> 10. Qin ["Chin"] Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, and the
> ruler for whom the famous "terracotta army" of clay soldiers was
> created, died in 201 BC after purposely ingesting mercury pills.
> Why did Emperor Qin swallow mercury?

a Taoist tradition was that it could give eternal life

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 14, 2023, 11:38:55 PM3/14/23
On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 2:01:05 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
>
> Here are some frequencies and wavelengths. For each item we
> name below, give the corresponding entry on the following list.
> In some cases the frequencies are approximate.
>
> 8. VHF television band.

54 to 88 MHz and 174 to 216 MHz

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - Famous Poisonings
>
> The following are some famous incidents of intentional poisoning.
> throughout history, either single or en masse, and sometimes
> self-administered,
>
> 2. The world was shocked in 2006 when expatriate Russian journalist
> Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned in London, England. Before he
> died, he alleged the deed was done at President Putin's behest.
> Name the substance used to poison him, possibly fed to him in
> some sushi.

ricin

> 3. He made his followers in the People's Temple cult drink
> cyanide-laced fruit punch in 1978. 918 people died. What
> was this cult leader's *first and last* name?

Jim Jones

> 4. It is often portrayed that this philosopher poisoned himself
> rather than choose exile. More accurately, he willingly drank
> poison in fulfillment of his death sentence for the crimes of
> "corrupting youth" and "impiety", instead of taking the clear
> opportunity provided to him to escape when his followers
> successfully bribed his guards. Who was he?

Socrates

> 6. He was an important codebreaker during England's WW2 war effort
> and made fundamental contributions to computer science, but was
> rewarded by his country with a prosecution for homosexuality
> in 1952. He committed suicide by eating a cyanide-laced apple.
> Who was he?

Turing

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was killed in London in
> 1978 by an assassin who managed to inject him with a ricin-filled
> micro-pellet, delivered using a cleverly rigged version of what
> common item?

umbrella

> 8. Members of the Heaven's Gate cult committed mass suicide in 1997
> by taking phenobarbital with vodka (and then wrapping plastic
> bags around their heads for good measure), believing that a
> spaceship was coming, trailing a comet, to transport their
> souls to a higher level of existence. Name the *comet*.

Hale-Bopp

> 9. How does tradition hold that Cleopatra poisoned herself?
> Be specific.

bitten by an asp

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Mar 16, 2023, 9:42:31 PM3/16/23
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
>
> Here are some frequencies and wavelengths. For each item we
> name below, give the corresponding entry on the following list.
> In some cases the frequencies are approximate.
>
> * 0.01 to 10 nm
> * 2.3 to 26.1 MHz
> * 2.45 GHz
> * 3 to 60 Hz
> * 8 to 15 µm
> * 21 cm
> * 25 to 20,000 Hz
> * 40 to 60,000 Hz
> * 44.1 kHz
> * 54 to 88 MHz and 174 to 216 MHz
> * 96 to 320 kbps
> * 380 to 750 nm
> * 540 to 1,610 kHz
> * 850 band and 1,900 band
> * 900 MHz, 1.9 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz
> * 1,420 MHz
> * 9,192,631,770 Hz
>
> 1. Shortwave radio.

54 to 88 MHz and 174 to 216 MHz

> 2. """Currently""" sold cordless phones.

900 MHz, 1.9 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz

> 3. Compact-disc recording sampling rate.

44.1 kHz

> 4. Cesium-atom atomic clock.
> 5. Microwave oven.
> 6. X-rays.
> 7. Canine hearing range.

40 to 60,000 Hz

> 8. VHF television band.

2.3 to 26.1 MHz

> 9. Schumann resonances. These are global electromagnetic resonances
> in the ELF portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, excited
> by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth's
> surface and the ionosphere, often more simply referred to as
> the "global electrical circuit".
>
> 10. Hydrogen atom spectral line. It's been proposed that advanced
> alien civilizations might try to make contact using this
> frequency due to the ubiquity of hydrogen in the universe,
> the ability of this frequency to penetrate cosmic dust, and
> the relative quiet of this part of the radio spectrum
>
> 11. If you like, identify the other entries on the list for fun,
> but for no points.
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - Famous Poisonings
>
> The following are some famous incidents of intentional poisoning.
> throughout history, either single or en masse, and sometimes
> self-administered,
>
> 1. Roman emperor Augustus was alleged to be so afraid of being
> poisoned by his wife Livia that he took to gathering his
> own food. But legend has it that she managed to feed him
> poison anyway. Name the specific food he ate which it is said
> she poisoned.

Pomegranates

> 2. The world was shocked in 2006 when expatriate Russian journalist
> Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned in London, England. Before he
> died, he alleged the deed was done at President Putin's behest.
> Name the substance used to poison him, possibly fed to him in
> some sushi.

Polonium

> 3. He made his followers in the People's Temple cult drink
> cyanide-laced fruit punch in 1978. 918 people died. What
> was this cult leader's *first and last* name?

Jim Jones

> 4. It is often portrayed that this philosopher poisoned himself
> rather than choose exile. More accurately, he willingly drank
> poison in fulfillment of his death sentence for the crimes of
> "corrupting youth" and "impiety", instead of taking the clear
> opportunity provided to him to escape when his followers
> successfully bribed his guards. Who was he?

Socrates

> 5. Similarly, this German national hero agreed to take a cyanide
> pill in return for Hitler's assurance not to persecute his
> family afterwards. His death was officially reported to have
> been the result of injuries previously sustained when his car
> was strafed by an RAF fighter. Who was he?

Rommel

> 6. He was an important codebreaker during England's WW2 war effort
> and made fundamental contributions to computer science, but was
> rewarded by his country with a prosecution for homosexuality
> in 1952. He committed suicide by eating a cyanide-laced apple.
> Who was he?

Turing

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was killed in London in
> 1978 by an assassin who managed to inject him with a ricin-filled
> micro-pellet, delivered using a cleverly rigged version of what
> common item?

Umbrella

> 8. Members of the Heaven's Gate cult committed mass suicide in 1997
> by taking phenobarbital with vodka (and then wrapping plastic
> bags around their heads for good measure), believing that a
> spaceship was coming, trailing a comet, to transport their
> souls to a higher level of existence. Name the *comet*.

Hale Bopp

> 9. How does tradition hold that Cleopatra poisoned herself?
> Be specific.

Held an asp close enough for it to bite her.

> 10. Qin ["Chin"] Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, and the
> ruler for whom the famous "terracotta army" of clay soldiers was
> created, died in 201 BC after purposely ingesting mercury pills.
> Why did Emperor Qin swallow mercury?

He thought it would allow him to live forever

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Mar 17, 2023, 1:38:20 AM3/17/23
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

> Here are some frequencies and wavelengths. For each item we
> name below, give the corresponding entry on the following list.
> In some cases the frequencies are approximate.

> * 0.01 to 10 nm
> * 2.3 to 26.1 MHz
> * 2.45 GHz
> * 3 to 60 Hz
> * 8 to 15 痠
> * 21 cm
> * 25 to 20,000 Hz
> * 40 to 60,000 Hz
> * 44.1 kHz
> * 54 to 88 MHz and 174 to 216 MHz
> * 96 to 320 kbps
> * 380 to 750 nm
> * 540 to 1,610 kHz
> * 850 band and 1,900 band
> * 900 MHz, 1.9 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz
> * 1,420 MHz
> * 9,192,631,770 Hz

> 1. Shortwave radio.

2.3 to 26.1 MHz. 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> 2. """Currently""" sold cordless phones.

900 MHz, 1.9 GHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 3. Compact-disc recording sampling rate.

44.1 kHz. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 4. Cesium-atom atomic clock.

9,192,631,770 Hz. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 5. Microwave oven.

2.45 GHz. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. X-rays.

0.01 to 10 nm. 4 for Erland and Dan Blum.

> 7. Canine hearing range.

40 to 60,000 Hz. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 8. VHF television band.

54 to 88 MHz (that's channels 2-6) and 174 to 216 MHz (channels 7-13).
4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Joshua.

> 9. Schumann resonances. These are global electromagnetic resonances
> in the ELF portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, excited
> by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth's
> surface and the ionosphere, often more simply referred to as
> the "global electrical circuit".

3 to 60 Hz. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 10. Hydrogen atom spectral line. It's been proposed that advanced
> alien civilizations might try to make contact using this
> frequency due to the ubiquity of hydrogen in the universe,
> the ability of this frequency to penetrate cosmic dust, and
> the relative quiet of this part of the radio spectrum

21 cm, or equivalently, 1,420 MHz. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Dan Blum.

> 11. If you like, identify the other entries on the list for fun,
> but for no points.

8 to 15 痠 - thermal imaging band of infrared. 25 to 20,000 Hz
- human hearing range (more or less).@ 96 to 320 kbps - MP3 data
encoding rates. 380 to 750 nm - visible light.@ 540 to 1,610 kHz - AM
radio band.@ 850 band and 1,900 band - GSM cellular phones in Canada.

Dan Tilque got the ones marked @.

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - Famous Poisonings

> The following are some famous incidents of intentional poisoning.
> throughout history, either single or en masse, and sometimes
> self-administered,

This was the second-easiest round in the original game, after the
current-events round.

> 1. Roman emperor Augustus was alleged to be so afraid of being
> poisoned by his wife Livia that he took to gathering his
> own food. But legend has it that she managed to feed him
> poison anyway. Name the specific food he ate which it is said
> she poisoned.

Figs.

> 2. The world was shocked in 2006 when expatriate Russian journalist
> Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned in London, England. Before he
> died, he alleged the deed was done at President Putin's behest.
> Name the substance used to poison him, possibly fed to him in
> some sushi.

Polonium 210. The isotope was not required. 4 for Dan Tilque,
Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 3. He made his followers in the People's Temple cult drink
> cyanide-laced fruit punch in 1978. 918 people died. What
> was this cult leader's *first and last* name?

James ("Jim") Jones. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. It is often portrayed that this philosopher poisoned himself
> rather than choose exile. More accurately, he willingly drank
> poison in fulfillment of his death sentence for the crimes of
> "corrupting youth" and "impiety", instead of taking the clear
> opportunity provided to him to escape when his followers
> successfully bribed his guards. Who was he?

Socrates. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 5. Similarly, this German national hero agreed to take a cyanide
> pill in return for Hitler's assurance not to persecute his
> family afterwards. His death was officially reported to have
> been the result of injuries previously sustained when his car
> was strafed by an RAF fighter. Who was he?

Erwin Rommel. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

One entrant in 2014 guessed:

> goering? ; himmler? (some nazi who history should rightfully forget)

Thus making 5 errors in 10 words. Nice going!

Goering and Himmler did both commit suicide by cyanide, but not until
after Hitler's own suicide -- Himmler when captured, Goering when
he was about to be executed in consequence of the Nuremberg trials.
The Nazis deserve to be remembered for actions that, to transfer a
quotation, "will live in infamy". Rommel, however, was not a Nazi --
he never joined the party -- and in fact the reason he was condemned
was involvement in the assassination attempt against Hitler. And his
military role in the war is already sufficient reason for him to be
remembered, without anything else.

> 6. He was an important codebreaker during England's WW2 war effort
> and made fundamental contributions to computer science, but was
> rewarded by his country with a prosecution for homosexuality
> in 1952. He committed suicide by eating a cyanide-laced apple.
> Who was he?

Alan Turing. 4 for everyone.

His wartime role was still highly secret during the prosecution.
He was posthumously pardoned in 2013, but a law pardoning all *other*
people convicted of this no-longer-a-crime was not passed until 2017.

> 7. Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov was killed in London in
> 1978 by an assassin who managed to inject him with a ricin-filled
> micro-pellet, delivered using a cleverly rigged version of what
> common item?

Umbrella. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Members of the Heaven's Gate cult committed mass suicide in 1997
> by taking phenobarbital with vodka (and then wrapping plastic
> bags around their heads for good measure), believing that a
> spaceship was coming, trailing a comet, to transport their
> souls to a higher level of existence. Name the *comet*.

Hale-Bopp. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. How does tradition hold that Cleopatra poisoned herself?
> Be specific.

The bite of an asp. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

"Asp" is usually considered to mean a type of cobra, so I accepted
"cobra" but not "adder".

> 10. Qin ["Chin"] Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, and the
> ruler for whom the famous "terracotta army" of clay soldiers was
> created, died in 201 BC after purposely ingesting mercury pills.
> Why did Emperor Qin swallow mercury?

He was seeking immortality. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci His
Pete Gayde 18 29 12 36 95
Dan Blum 24 4 24 36 88
Joshua Kreitzer 36 20 4 24 84
Dan Tilque 16 4 32 28 80
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 28 24 60

--
Mark Brader | "No [flying machine] will ever fly from New York to
Toronto | Paris ...[because] no known motor can run at the
| -- Orville Wright, March 1909

Mark Brader

Mar 17, 2023, 1:40:19 AM3/17/23
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Nursery Rhymes

For most Western children their earliest exposure to literature is
through nursery rhymes, which are also sometimes called Mother Goose
rhymes. Here are some of the old standbys. We will read the first
few lines and you will supply the next line. Warning: *Be exact!*
Variations will be allowed only in a few specific minor words.

1. Georgie Porgie, puddin' and pie,
Kissed the girls and made them cry,
When the boys came out to play...

2. Hark! Hark! The dogs do bark,
The beggars are coming to town.
Some in rags,
And some in tags...

3. Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean,
And so betwixt the two of them...

4. Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree.
Merry, merry king of the bush is he.
Laugh, Kookaburra,
Laugh, Kookaburra...

5. Ladybug! Ladybug!
Fly away home.
Your house is on fire...

6. Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep
And can't tell where to find them.
Leave them alone,
And they'll come home...

7. Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockleshells...

8. Old King Cole was a merry old soul,
And a merry old soul was he.
He called for his pipe,
And he called for his bowl...

9. Simple Simon met a pieman,
Going to the fair.
Said Simple Simon to the pieman...

10. Three blind mice. Three blind mice.
See how they run. See how they run.
They all ran after the farmer's wife...

* Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Geographical Dogs

Many purebred dog breeds have names that connect them to their
country or region of origin. The numbered photos

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/4-8/geogs.jpg

are of 12 such breeds. In each case, give the name of the breed,
including the geographical descriptor (which may be the whole name
or just part of it).

Again, I've sorted the round into numerical order for convenience
in this medium. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you like for
fun, but for no points.

1. Name it.
2. Name it.
3. Name it.
4. Name it.
5. Name it.
6. Name it.
7. (decoy)
8. (decoy)
9. Name it.
10. Name it.
11. Name it.
12. Name it.

--
Mark Brader "You mean he made love to you?"
Toronto "Well, he went through all the emotions."

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 17, 2023, 1:44:23 AM3/17/23
On Friday, March 17, 2023 at 12:40:19 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Nursery Rhymes
>
> For most Western children their earliest exposure to literature is
> through nursery rhymes, which are also sometimes called Mother Goose
> rhymes. Here are some of the old standbys. We will read the first
> few lines and you will supply the next line. Warning: *Be exact!*
> Variations will be allowed only in a few specific minor words.
>
> 1. Georgie Porgie, puddin' and pie,
> Kissed the girls and made them cry,
> When the boys came out to play...

Georgie Porgie ran away

> 3. Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
> His wife could eat no lean,
> And so betwixt the two of them...

They licked the platter clean

> 4. Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree.
> Merry, merry king of the bush is he.
> Laugh, Kookaburra,
> Laugh, Kookaburra...

Gay your life must be

> 5. Ladybug! Ladybug!
> Fly away home.
> Your house is on fire...

Your children alone

> 6. Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep
> And can't tell where to find them.
> Leave them alone,
> And they'll come home...

Wagging their tails behind them

> 7. Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
> How does your garden grow?
> With silver bells and cockleshells...

And pretty maids all in a row

> 8. Old King Cole was a merry old soul,
> And a merry old soul was he.
> He called for his pipe,
> And he called for his bowl...

And he called for his fiddlers three

> 9. Simple Simon met a pieman,
> Going to the fair.
> Said Simple Simon to the pieman...

May I taste your ware?

> 10. Three blind mice. Three blind mice.
> See how they run. See how they run.
> They all ran after the farmer's wife...

She cut off their tails with a carving knife

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Geographical Dogs
>
> Many purebred dog breeds have names that connect them to their
> country or region of origin. The numbered photos
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/4-8/geogs.jpg
>
> are of 12 such breeds. In each case, give the name of the breed,
> including the geographical descriptor (which may be the whole name
> or just part of it).

No answers for me here.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Dan Tilque

Mar 17, 2023, 4:04:58 PM3/17/23
dragging their tails behind them

> 7. Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
> How does your garden grow?
> With silver bells and cockleshells... >
> 8. Old King Cole was a merry old soul,
> And a merry old soul was he.
> He called for his pipe,
> And he called for his bowl...
>
> 9. Simple Simon met a pieman,
> Going to the fair.
> Said Simple Simon to the pieman...
>
> 10. Three blind mice. Three blind mice.
> See how they run. See how they run.
> They all ran after the farmer's wife...

who cut off their tails with a carving knife

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Geographical Dogs
>
> Many purebred dog breeds have names that connect them to their
> country or region of origin. The numbered photos
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/4-8/geogs.jpg
>
> are of 12 such breeds. In each case, give the name of the breed,
> including the geographical descriptor (which may be the whole name
> or just part of it).
>
> Again, I've sorted the round into numerical order for convenience
> in this medium. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you like for
> fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Name it.
> 2. Name it.

Alaskan husky

> 3. Name it.

Pekingese

> 4. Name it.
> 5. Name it.

Newfoundland

> 6. Name it.

Labrador retriever

> 7. (decoy)
> 8. (decoy)
> 9. Name it.

Chihuahua

> 10. Name it.

English bulldog

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Mar 17, 2023, 6:25:16 PM3/17/23
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Nursery Rhymes

> 1. Georgie Porgie, puddin' and pie,
> Kissed the girls and made them cry,
> When the boys came out to play...

Georgie Porgie ran away

> 3. Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
> His wife could eat no lean,
> And so betwixt the two of them...

They licked the platter clean

> 5. Ladybug! Ladybug!
> Fly away home.
> Your house is on fire...

Your children are gone

> 6. Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep
> And can't tell where to find them.
> Leave them alone,
> And they'll come home...

Wagging their tails behind them

> 7. Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
> How does your garden grow?
> With silver bells and cockleshells...

And pretty maids all in a row

> 8. Old King Cole was a merry old soul,
> And a merry old soul was he.
> He called for his pipe,
> And he called for his bowl...

And he called for his fiddlers three

> 10. Three blind mice. Three blind mice.
> See how they run. See how they run.
> They all ran after the farmer's wife...

She cut off their tails with a carving knife

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Geographical Dogs

> 1. Name it.

Irish setter

> 2. Name it.

Alaskan husky

> 3. Name it.

Pomeranian

> 4. Name it.

Lhasa apso

> 5. Name it.

Newfoundland; Bernese mountain dog

> 6. Name it.

Weimaraner

> 9. Name it.

Pomeranian

> 10. Name it.

English bulldog

> 12. Name it.

Welsh corgi

Pete Gayde

Mar 17, 2023, 11:05:36 PM3/17/23
Mark Brader wrote:
> (Sorry, I forgot to start a new thread. Post your responses in
> either thread.)
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Nursery Rhymes
>
> For most Western children their earliest exposure to literature is
> through nursery rhymes, which are also sometimes called Mother Goose
> rhymes. Here are some of the old standbys. We will read the first
> few lines and you will supply the next line. Warning: *Be exact!*
> Variations will be allowed only in a few specific minor words.
>
> 1. Georgie Porgie, puddin' and pie,
> Kissed the girls and made them cry,
> When the boys came out to play...

Georgie Porgie ran away

> 2. Hark! Hark! The dogs do bark,
> The beggars are coming to town.
> Some in rags,
> And some in tags...
>
> 3. Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
> His wife could eat no lean,
> And so betwixt the two of them...
>
> 4. Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree.
> Merry, merry king of the bush is he.
> Laugh, Kookaburra,
> Laugh, Kookaburra...

Gay your life must be.

> 5. Ladybug! Ladybug!
> Fly away home.
> Your house is on fire...
>
> 6. Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep
> And can't tell where to find them.
> Leave them alone,
> And they'll come home...
>
> 7. Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
> How does your garden grow?
> With silver bells and cockleshells...

And pretty girls all in a row.

> 8. Old King Cole was a merry old soul,
> And a merry old soul was he.
> He called for his pipe,
> And he called for his bowl...

And he called for his fiddlers three.

> 9. Simple Simon met a pieman,
> Going to the fair.
> Said Simple Simon to the pieman...

May I taste your ware?

> 10. Three blind mice. Three blind mice.
> See how they run. See how they run.
> They all ran after the farmer's wife...

Who cut off their tails with a carving knife.

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Geographical Dogs
>
> Many purebred dog breeds have names that connect them to their
> country or region of origin. The numbered photos
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/4-8/geogs.jpg
>
> are of 12 such breeds. In each case, give the name of the breed,
> including the geographical descriptor (which may be the whole name
> or just part of it).
>
> Again, I've sorted the round into numerical order for convenience
> in this medium. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you like for
> fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Name it.

Portuguese Water Dog

> 2. Name it.

Alaskan Malamut

> 3. Name it.

Scottish Terrier

> 4. Name it.

Pomeranian

> 5. Name it.
> 6. Name it.

Irish Setter

> 7. (decoy)
> 8. (decoy)
> 9. Name it.
> 10. Name it.
> 11. Name it.
> 12. Name it.

Welsh Corgi

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Mar 20, 2023, 6:53:23 PM3/20/23
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-03,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Literature - Nursery Rhymes

> For most Western children their earliest exposure to literature is
> through nursery rhymes, which are also sometimes called Mother Goose
> rhymes. Here are some of the old standbys. We will read the first
> few lines and you will supply the next line. Warning: *Be exact!*
> Variations will be allowed only in a few specific minor words.

The minor words that were not required are shown parenthesized.

As some entrants noted, there may be other variants of these.
If your answer was ruled wrong, I will accept it if you can cite
an appearance of your version in print. If you use Google Books,
please save a screenshot of the page, which I will ask for if it
decides I don't have permission to view it.

> 1. Georgie Porgie, puddin' and pie,
> Kissed the girls and made them cry,
> When the boys came out to play...

Georgie Porgie ran away. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 2. Hark! Hark! The dogs do bark,
> The beggars are coming to town.
> Some in rags,
> And some in tags...

(And one) in a velvet gown!

> 3. Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
> His wife could eat no lean,
> And so betwixt the two of them...

(They) licked the platter clean. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 4. Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree.
> Merry, merry king of the bush is he.
> Laugh, Kookaburra,
> Laugh, Kookaburra...

Gay your life must be. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 5. Ladybug! Ladybug!
> Fly away home.
> Your house is on fire...

(And) your children (all) {gone | alone | (will) burn}. 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 6. Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep
> And can't tell where to find them.
> Leave them alone,
> And they'll come home...

Wagging (their) tails behind them. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

> 7. Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
> How does your garden grow?
> With silver bells and cockleshells...

(And) pretty maids all in a row. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. Old King Cole was a merry old soul,
> And a merry old soul was he.
> He called for his pipe,
> And he called for his bowl...

(And he) called for his fiddlers three. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 9. Simple Simon met a pieman,
> Going to the fair.
> Said Simple Simon to the pieman...

(Let) me taste your ware. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 10. Three blind mice. Three blind mice.
> See how they run. See how they run.
> They all ran after the farmer's wife...

(Who) cut off their tails with a carving knife. 4 for everyone --
Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Geography - Geographical Dogs

> Many purebred dog breeds have names that connect them to their
> country or region of origin.

Thinking about this after posting it in 2014, I wondered how many
that's actually true for. I mean, lots of things are named after
places that are not in fact their place of origin. One particularly
notable example is the species of bird that originated in North
America but in several languages is named after India, and in several
other languages (including English) is named after Turkey as a result
of a historical confusion with another species -- one that also did
not originate in Turkey, but in Africa.

Now it might be different with dogs because there are organizations
that assign official names to breeds, but somehow I doubt it.

Anyway,

> The numbered photos

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/4-8/geogs.jpg

> are of 12 such breeds. In each case, give the name of the breed,
> including the geographical descriptor (which may be the whole name
> or just part of it).

> Again, I've sorted the round into numerical order for convenience
> in this medium. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you like for
> fun, but for no points.

> 1. Name it.

Nova Scotia toller (duck tolling retriever).

> 2. Name it.

Siberian husky.

> 3. Name it.

Yorkshire terrier.

> 4. Name it.

Maltese.

> 5. Name it.

Newfoundland(er). 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Name it.

Rhodesian ridgeback.

> 7. (decoy)

West Highland terrier.

> 8. (decoy)

Staffordshire bull terrier.

> 9. Name it.

Pomeranian. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Name it.

Boston terrier.

> 11. Name it.

Portuguese water dog.

> 12. Name it.

(Pembroke) Welsh corgi. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci His Lit Geo FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 36 20 4 24 36 0 116
Dan Blum 24 4 24 36 28 11 112
Pete Gayde 18 29 12 36 20 4 103
Dan Tilque 16 4 32 28 8 4 84
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 28 24 -- -- 60

--
Mark Brader | "The good news is that the Internet is dynamic.
Toronto | The bad news is that the Internet is dynamic."