RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: sculptors, family challenge

Mark Brader

Apr 14, 2023, 12:23:10 AM4/14/23
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 6, Round 9 - Arts and Literature - Sculpture and Sculptors

In all cases, give the name of the sculptor.

1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/01.jpg

Pope Julius II commissioned this artist to build this sculpture
for his tomb in 1505. The work depicts Moses with horns on
his head.

2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/02.jpg

This American artist specialized in depictions of the
late-19th-century American West, evoking romantic images of
cowboys and natives.

3. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/03.jpg

This Romanian-born sculptor has been called the patriarch of
modern sculpture. This 1908 work is unsurprisingly titled
"The Kiss".

4. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/04.jpg

Adapting the classical grandeur of Renaissance sculpture and
the dynamic energy of the Mannerist period, this 17th-century
Italian genius forged a new conception for religious and
historical sculpture. This sculpture of Apollo and Daphne is
in Rome's Borghese Gallery, along with several other masterworks.

5. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/05.jpg

The elongated, very thin figures of this 20th-century surrealist
artist represented his view of the human form. A friend once
said that if he decided to sculpt you, "he would make your head
look like the blade of a knife".

6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/06.jpg

This sculpture stood on the grounds of Expo 67 in Montreal.
Its American creator is also famous for his mobiles.

7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/07.jpg

This American artist is famous for his life-size plaster-cast
figures that are usually placed in tableaux from everyday life.
He shares his name with a Hollywood actor.

8. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/08.jpg

This monumental depiction of "The Spirit of Haida Gwaii"
welcomes travelers at Vancouver International airport.
The artist developed his interest in Haida art while working
as a CBC announcer in Toronto during the 1940s.

9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/09.jpg

This French artist is famous for his portrayals of ballet
dancers. When this now much-loved work was shown in Paris in
1881, critics said the 14-year-old dancer's face was "marked
by the hateful promise of every vice".

10. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/10.jpg

This British sculptor has done several series of reclining
figures whose undulating forms may derive from the landscape
of his birthplace in Yorkshire. The world's largest collection
of his work is in Toronto.

There were 2 decoys on the original handout. Identify the sculptors
if you like for fun, but for no points.

11. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/11.jpg
12. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/12.jpg

** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - All in the Family

We didn't have trivia last week because it was Family Day. So, to
make up for our absence...:

A. Science - Family Belongings
B. Entertainment - Families Drawn Together
C. Sports - Families that Play Together
D. Literature - Fiction between Family Members
E. Geography - Family Speech
F. History - Family Rules

* A. Family Belongings

A1. Which family of subatomic particles has members named bottom,
up, and strange?

A2. Geologists classify rocks into three large families or types:
igneous, metamorphic, and what?

* B. Families Drawn Together

B1. In the movie "South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut", the
fictional American-Canadian War starts when our air force
bombs the residence of two real-life American acting
families, wiping them out. Give *either* family name.

B2. Who is the creator """and voice""" of Peter Griffin and
Stan Smith, two of TV's most obnoxious cartoon fathers?

* C. Families that Play Together

Or play the same sport, at least.

C1. These """are the only""" father and son in the NHL to *both*
have their numbers retired. Give their family name.

C2. The "30-30 club" consists of baseball players who have
hit 30 home runs and stolen 30 bases in the same season.
There """are only two""" players who have each achieved
this feat in 5 different seasons -- and, remarkably, they
also happen to be father and son. Give their family name.

* D. Fiction between Family Members

D1. In "Pride and Prejudice", the patriarch of this family starts
the novel with 5 unmarried daughters. By the end of the
novel, three are married, including, of course, Elizabeth,
who ends up with the initially aloof Mr. Darcy. Give their
family name. (No, not Darcy, the other one.)

D2. They're one of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms --
and the principal house of the Westerlands -- in the "A Song
of Ice and Fire" series of fantasy novels, made famous on
TV as "Game of Thrones". Give their family name.

* E. Family Speech

E1. Though surrounded by members of the Indo-European language
family, this language is unrelated to them, and is considered
to be the last surviving pre-Indo-European language in
Western Europe. What language?

E2. The word "Aryan", which the Nazis appropriated to refer
to their vision of a northern European, pure white "race",
actually has its roots in the description traditionally
used by the peoples of Northern India and Iran to identify
themselves and their languages. But the word "Aryan"
itself is a loan-word taken from which language, still in
limited use, considered one of the earliest members of the
entire Indo-European language family?

* F. Family Rules

F1. Members of this dynastic family, sometimes termed the "House
of France", ruled France directly from 987 to 1328, and gave
rise to the later royal houses of Bourbon and Orleans,
which are considered a part of this overall dynasty.
Name the dynasty.

F2. Name the family dynasty that ruled Japan as shoguns from
1603 until 1867, when the last shogun resigned, with power
soon returning to the Emperor in the Meiji Restoration.

--
Mark Brader "It's okay for us to love our country,
Toronto but we ought to spend most of our time

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 14, 2023, 8:54:24 AM4/14/23
On Thursday, April 13, 2023 at 11:23:10 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Arts and Literature - Sculpture and Sculptors
>
> In all cases, give the name of the sculptor.
>
> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/01.jpg
>
> Pope Julius II commissioned this artist to build this sculpture
> for his tomb in 1505. The work depicts Moses with horns on
> his head.

Michelangelo

> 2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/02.jpg
>
> This American artist specialized in depictions of the
> late-19th-century American West, evoking romantic images of
> cowboys and natives.

Remington

> 3. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/03.jpg
>
> This Romanian-born sculptor has been called the patriarch of
> modern sculpture. This 1908 work is unsurprisingly titled
> "The Kiss".

Brancusi

> 6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/06.jpg
>
> This sculpture stood on the grounds of Expo 67 in Montreal.
> Its American creator is also famous for his mobiles.

Calder

> 7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/07.jpg
>
> This American artist is famous for his life-size plaster-cast
> figures that are usually placed in tableaux from everyday life.
> He shares his name with a Hollywood actor.

George Segal

> 9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/09.jpg
>
> This French artist is famous for his portrayals of ballet
> dancers. When this now much-loved work was shown in Paris in
> 1881, critics said the 14-year-old dancer's face was "marked
> by the hateful promise of every vice".

Degas

> 10. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/10.jpg
>
> This British sculptor has done several series of reclining
> figures whose undulating forms may derive from the landscape
> of his birthplace in Yorkshire. The world's largest collection
> of his work is in Toronto.

Moore

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - All in the Family
>
> * A. Family Belongings
>
> A1. Which family of subatomic particles has members named bottom,
> up, and strange?

quarks

> A2. Geologists classify rocks into three large families or types:
> igneous, metamorphic, and what?

sedimentary

> * B. Families Drawn Together
>
> B2. Who is the creator """and voice""" of Peter Griffin and
> Stan Smith, two of TV's most obnoxious cartoon fathers?

MacFarlane

> * C. Families that Play Together
>
> C2. The "30-30 club" consists of baseball players who have
> hit 30 home runs and stolen 30 bases in the same season.
> There """are only two""" players who have each achieved
> this feat in 5 different seasons -- and, remarkably, they
> also happen to be father and son. Give their family name.

Bonds

> * D. Fiction between Family Members
>
> D1. In "Pride and Prejudice", the patriarch of this family starts
> the novel with 5 unmarried daughters. By the end of the
> novel, three are married, including, of course, Elizabeth,
> who ends up with the initially aloof Mr. Darcy. Give their
> family name. (No, not Darcy, the other one.)

Bennet

> * E. Family Speech
>
> E1. Though surrounded by members of the Indo-European language
> family, this language is unrelated to them, and is considered
> to be the last surviving pre-Indo-European language in
> Western Europe. What language?

Basque

> E2. The word "Aryan", which the Nazis appropriated to refer
> to their vision of a northern European, pure white "race",
> actually has its roots in the description traditionally
> used by the peoples of Northern India and Iran to identify
> themselves and their languages. But the word "Aryan"
> itself is a loan-word taken from which language, still in
> limited use, considered one of the earliest members of the
> entire Indo-European language family?

Sanskrit

> * F. Family Rules
>
> F1. Members of this dynastic family, sometimes termed the "House
> of France", ruled France directly from 987 to 1328, and gave
> rise to the later royal houses of Bourbon and Orleans,
> which are considered a part of this overall dynasty.
> Name the dynasty.

Capet

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

swp

Apr 14, 2023, 5:48:38 PM4/14/23
On Friday, April 14, 2023 at 12:23:10 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Arts and Literature - Sculpture and Sculptors
>
> In all cases, give the name of the sculptor.
>
> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/01.jpg
>
> Pope Julius II commissioned this artist to build this sculpture
> for his tomb in 1505. The work depicts Moses with horns on
> his head.

michelangelo

> 2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/02.jpg
>
> This American artist specialized in depictions of the
> late-19th-century American West, evoking romantic images of
> cowboys and natives.

remington

> 3. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/03.jpg
>
> This Romanian-born sculptor has been called the patriarch of
> modern sculpture. This 1908 work is unsurprisingly titled
> "The Kiss".

brancusi

> 4. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/04.jpg
>
> Adapting the classical grandeur of Renaissance sculpture and
> the dynamic energy of the Mannerist period, this 17th-century
> Italian genius forged a new conception for religious and
> historical sculpture. This sculpture of Apollo and Daphne is
> in Rome's Borghese Gallery, along with several other masterworks.

bernini

> 5. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/05.jpg
>
> The elongated, very thin figures of this 20th-century surrealist
> artist represented his view of the human form. A friend once
> said that if he decided to sculpt you, "he would make your head
> look like the blade of a knife".

giacometti

> 6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/06.jpg
>
> This sculpture stood on the grounds of Expo 67 in Montreal.
> Its American creator is also famous for his mobiles.

alex calder

> 7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/07.jpg
>
> This American artist is famous for his life-size plaster-cast
> figures that are usually placed in tableaux from everyday life.
> He shares his name with a Hollywood actor.

george segal

> 8. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/08.jpg
>
> This monumental depiction of "The Spirit of Haida Gwaii"
> welcomes travelers at Vancouver International airport.
> The artist developed his interest in Haida art while working
> as a CBC announcer in Toronto during the 1940s.

bill reid

> 9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/09.jpg
>
> This French artist is famous for his portrayals of ballet
> dancers. When this now much-loved work was shown in Paris in
> 1881, critics said the 14-year-old dancer's face was "marked
> by the hateful promise of every vice".

degas

> 10. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/10.jpg
>
> This British sculptor has done several series of reclining
> figures whose undulating forms may derive from the landscape
> of his birthplace in Yorkshire. The world's largest collection
> of his work is in Toronto.

moore

> There were 2 decoys on the original handout. Identify the sculptors
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/11.jpg

canova
picasso

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - All in the Family
>
> We didn't have trivia last week because it was Family Day. So, to
> make up for our absence...:
>
> A. Science - Family Belongings
> B. Entertainment - Families Drawn Together
> C. Sports - Families that Play Together
> D. Literature - Fiction between Family Members
> E. Geography - Family Speech
> F. History - Family Rules
>
> * A. Family Belongings
>
> A1. Which family of subatomic particles has members named bottom,
> up, and strange?

quark [what, no love for rom?]

> A2. Geologists classify rocks into three large families or types:
> igneous, metamorphic, and what?

sedimentary

> * B. Families Drawn Together
>
> B1. In the movie "South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut", the
> fictional American-Canadian War starts when our air force
> bombs the residence of two real-life American acting
> families, wiping them out. Give *either* family name.

baldwin

> B2. Who is the creator """and voice""" of Peter Griffin and
> Stan Smith, two of TV's most obnoxious cartoon fathers?

seth macfarlane

> * C. Families that Play Together
>
> Or play the same sport, at least.
>
> C1. These """are the only""" father and son in the NHL to *both*
> have their numbers retired. Give their family name.

hull ; howe

> C2. The "30-30 club" consists of baseball players who have
> hit 30 home runs and stolen 30 bases in the same season.
> There """are only two""" players who have each achieved
> this feat in 5 different seasons -- and, remarkably, they
> also happen to be father and son. Give their family name.

bonds

> * D. Fiction between Family Members
>
> D1. In "Pride and Prejudice", the patriarch of this family starts
> the novel with 5 unmarried daughters. By the end of the
> novel, three are married, including, of course, Elizabeth,
> who ends up with the initially aloof Mr. Darcy. Give their
> family name. (No, not Darcy, the other one.)

bennet

> D2. They're one of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms --
> and the principal house of the Westerlands -- in the "A Song
> of Ice and Fire" series of fantasy novels, made famous on
> TV as "Game of Thrones". Give their family name.

lannister

> * E. Family Speech
>
> E1. Though surrounded by members of the Indo-European language
> family, this language is unrelated to them, and is considered
> to be the last surviving pre-Indo-European language in
> Western Europe. What language?

basque

> E2. The word "Aryan", which the Nazis appropriated to refer
> to their vision of a northern European, pure white "race",
> actually has its roots in the description traditionally
> used by the peoples of Northern India and Iran to identify
> themselves and their languages. But the word "Aryan"
> itself is a loan-word taken from which language, still in
> limited use, considered one of the earliest members of the
> entire Indo-European language family?

sanskrit

> * F. Family Rules
>
> F1. Members of this dynastic family, sometimes termed the "House
> of France", ruled France directly from 987 to 1328, and gave
> rise to the later royal houses of Bourbon and Orleans,
> which are considered a part of this overall dynasty.
> Name the dynasty.

Capetian

> F2. Name the family dynasty that ruled Japan as shoguns from
> 1603 until 1867, when the last shogun resigned, with power
> soon returning to the Emperor in the Meiji Restoration.

tokugawa

> --
> Mark Brader "It's okay for us to love our country,
> Toronto but we ought to spend most of our time
> m...@vex.net making our country lovable." -- Andy Rooney
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 15, 2023, 4:20:13 AM4/15/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Arts and Literature - Sculpture and Sculptors
>
> In all cases, give the name of the sculptor.
>
> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/01.jpg
>
> Pope Julius II commissioned this artist to build this sculpture
> for his tomb in 1505. The work depicts Moses with horns on
> his head.

Michelangelo

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - All in the Family
>
> * A. Family Belongings
>
> A1. Which family of subatomic particles has members named bottom,
> up, and strange?

Quarks

> * C. Families that Play Together
>
> C1. These """are the only""" father and son in the NHL to *both*
> have their numbers retired. Give their family name.

Hull

> * E. Family Speech
>
> E1. Though surrounded by members of the Indo-European language
> family, this language is unrelated to them, and is considered
> to be the last surviving pre-Indo-European language in
> Western Europe. What language?

Basque

> E2. The word "Aryan", which the Nazis appropriated to refer
> to their vision of a northern European, pure white "race",
> actually has its roots in the description traditionally
> used by the peoples of Northern India and Iran to identify
> themselves and their languages. But the word "Aryan"
> itself is a loan-word taken from which language, still in
> limited use, considered one of the earliest members of the
> entire Indo-European language family?

Sanskrit

> * F. Family Rules
>
> F1. Members of this dynastic family, sometimes termed the "House
> of France", ruled France directly from 987 to 1328, and gave
> rise to the later royal houses of Bourbon and Orleans,
> which are considered a part of this overall dynasty.
> Name the dynasty.

Capet

> F2. Name the family dynasty that ruled Japan as shoguns from
> 1603 until 1867, when the last shogun resigned, with power
> soon returning to the Emperor in the Meiji Restoration.

Tokugawa

I may be remembering wrong, but I think the starting year is 1601,
when Ieyasu Tokugawa took the power. He stepped back in favour of
his son aleady in 1603. (But was still acting behind the scenes.)

Pete Gayde

Apr 15, 2023, 2:14:33 PM4/15/23
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Arts and Literature - Sculpture and Sculptors
>
> In all cases, give the name of the sculptor.
>
> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/01.jpg
>
> Pope Julius II commissioned this artist to build this sculpture
> for his tomb in 1505. The work depicts Moses with horns on
> his head.

Michaelangelo

> 2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/02.jpg
>
> This American artist specialized in depictions of the
> late-19th-century American West, evoking romantic images of
> cowboys and natives.

Remington

> 3. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/03.jpg
>
> This Romanian-born sculptor has been called the patriarch of
> modern sculpture. This 1908 work is unsurprisingly titled
> "The Kiss".

Rodin

> 4. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/04.jpg
>
> Adapting the classical grandeur of Renaissance sculpture and
> the dynamic energy of the Mannerist period, this 17th-century
> Italian genius forged a new conception for religious and
> historical sculpture. This sculpture of Apollo and Daphne is
> in Rome's Borghese Gallery, along with several other masterworks.

Bernini

> 5. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/05.jpg
>
> The elongated, very thin figures of this 20th-century surrealist
> artist represented his view of the human form. A friend once
> said that if he decided to sculpt you, "he would make your head
> look like the blade of a knife".

Dali; Kandinsky

> 6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/06.jpg
>
> This sculpture stood on the grounds of Expo 67 in Montreal.
> Its American creator is also famous for his mobiles.

Calder

> 7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/07.jpg
>
> This American artist is famous for his life-size plaster-cast
> figures that are usually placed in tableaux from everyday life.
> He shares his name with a Hollywood actor.

James Stewart; Tony Curtis

> 8. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/08.jpg
>
> This monumental depiction of "The Spirit of Haida Gwaii"
> welcomes travelers at Vancouver International airport.
> The artist developed his interest in Haida art while working
> as a CBC announcer in Toronto during the 1940s.
>
> 9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/09.jpg
>
> This French artist is famous for his portrayals of ballet
> dancers. When this now much-loved work was shown in Paris in
> 1881, critics said the 14-year-old dancer's face was "marked
> by the hateful promise of every vice".

Manet

> 10. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/10.jpg
>
> This British sculptor has done several series of reclining
> figures whose undulating forms may derive from the landscape
> of his birthplace in Yorkshire. The world's largest collection
> of his work is in Toronto.
>
> There were 2 decoys on the original handout. Identify the sculptors
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/11.jpg
> 12. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/12.jpg
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - All in the Family
>
> We didn't have trivia last week because it was Family Day. So, to
> make up for our absence...:
>
> A. Science - Family Belongings
> B. Entertainment - Families Drawn Together
> C. Sports - Families that Play Together
> D. Literature - Fiction between Family Members
> E. Geography - Family Speech
> F. History - Family Rules
>
> * A. Family Belongings
>
> A1. Which family of subatomic particles has members named bottom,
> up, and strange?

Quarks

> A2. Geologists classify rocks into three large families or types:
> igneous, metamorphic, and what?

Basalt

> * B. Families Drawn Together
>
> B1. In the movie "South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut", the
> fictional American-Canadian War starts when our air force
> bombs the residence of two real-life American acting
> families, wiping them out. Give *either* family name.

Carradine; Fonda

> B2. Who is the creator """and voice""" of Peter Griffin and
> Stan Smith, two of TV's most obnoxious cartoon fathers?
>

> * C. Families that Play Together
>
> Or play the same sport, at least.
>
> C1. These """are the only""" father and son in the NHL to *both*
> have their numbers retired. Give their family name.

Hull

> C2. The "30-30 club" consists of baseball players who have
> hit 30 home runs and stolen 30 bases in the same season.
> There """are only two""" players who have each achieved
> this feat in 5 different seasons -- and, remarkably, they
> also happen to be father and son. Give their family name.

Bonds

> * D. Fiction between Family Members
>
> D1. In "Pride and Prejudice", the patriarch of this family starts
> the novel with 5 unmarried daughters. By the end of the
> novel, three are married, including, of course, Elizabeth,
> who ends up with the initially aloof Mr. Darcy. Give their
> family name. (No, not Darcy, the other one.)
>
> D2. They're one of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms --
> and the principal house of the Westerlands -- in the "A Song
> of Ice and Fire" series of fantasy novels, made famous on
> TV as "Game of Thrones". Give their family name.

Stark; Lannister

> * E. Family Speech
>
> E1. Though surrounded by members of the Indo-European language
> family, this language is unrelated to them, and is considered
> to be the last surviving pre-Indo-European language in
> Western Europe. What language?

Finnish; Hungarian

> E2. The word "Aryan", which the Nazis appropriated to refer
> to their vision of a northern European, pure white "race",
> actually has its roots in the description traditionally
> used by the peoples of Northern India and Iran to identify
> themselves and their languages. But the word "Aryan"
> itself is a loan-word taken from which language, still in
> limited use, considered one of the earliest members of the
> entire Indo-European language family?

Romansch

> * F. Family Rules
>
> F1. Members of this dynastic family, sometimes termed the "House
> of France", ruled France directly from 987 to 1328, and gave
> rise to the later royal houses of Bourbon and Orleans,
> which are considered a part of this overall dynasty.
> Name the dynasty.

Rothschild

> F2. Name the family dynasty that ruled Japan as shoguns from
> 1603 until 1867, when the last shogun resigned, with power
> soon returning to the Emperor in the Meiji Restoration.

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Apr 16, 2023, 6:18:50 PM4/16/23
On 4/13/23 21:22, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Arts and Literature - Sculpture and Sculptors
>
> In all cases, give the name of the sculptor.
>
> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/01.jpg
>
> Pope Julius II commissioned this artist to build this sculpture
> for his tomb in 1505. The work depicts Moses with horns on
> his head.
>
> 2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/02.jpg
>
> This American artist specialized in depictions of the
> late-19th-century American West, evoking romantic images of
> cowboys and natives.

Russell ??
quarks

> A2. Geologists classify rocks into three large families or types:
> igneous, metamorphic, and what?

sedimentary

> * B. Families Drawn Together
>
> B1. In the movie "South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut", the
> fictional American-Canadian War starts when our air force
> bombs the residence of two real-life American acting
> families, wiping them out. Give *either* family name.

Kardashians

(I have no idea if that's a correct answer, but wiping them out would
*not* be a casus belli.)

> B2. Who is the creator """and voice""" of Peter Griffin and
> Stan Smith, two of TV's most obnoxious cartoon fathers?
>

> * C. Families that Play Together
>
> Or play the same sport, at least.
>
> C1. These """are the only""" father and son in the NHL to *both*
> have their numbers retired. Give their family name.
>
> C2. The "30-30 club" consists of baseball players who have
> hit 30 home runs and stolen 30 bases in the same season.
> There """are only two""" players who have each achieved
> this feat in 5 different seasons -- and, remarkably, they
> also happen to be father and son. Give their family name.

Bonds

> * D. Fiction between Family Members
>
> D1. In "Pride and Prejudice", the patriarch of this family starts
> the novel with 5 unmarried daughters. By the end of the
> novel, three are married, including, of course, Elizabeth,
> who ends up with the initially aloof Mr. Darcy. Give their
> family name. (No, not Darcy, the other one.)
>
> D2. They're one of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms --
> and the principal house of the Westerlands -- in the "A Song
> of Ice and Fire" series of fantasy novels, made famous on
> TV as "Game of Thrones". Give their family name.
>

> * E. Family Speech
>
> E1. Though surrounded by members of the Indo-European language
> family, this language is unrelated to them, and is considered
> to be the last surviving pre-Indo-European language in
> Western Europe. What language?

Basque

> E2. The word "Aryan", which the Nazis appropriated to refer
> to their vision of a northern European, pure white "race",
> actually has its roots in the description traditionally
> used by the peoples of Northern India and Iran to identify
> themselves and their languages. But the word "Aryan"
> itself is a loan-word taken from which language, still in
> limited use, considered one of the earliest members of the
> entire Indo-European language family?

Sanskrit

> * F. Family Rules
>
> F1. Members of this dynastic family, sometimes termed the "House
> of France", ruled France directly from 987 to 1328, and gave
> rise to the later royal houses of Bourbon and Orleans,
> which are considered a part of this overall dynasty.
> Name the dynasty.
>
> F2. Name the family dynasty that ruled Japan as shoguns from
> 1603 until 1867, when the last shogun resigned, with power
> soon returning to the Emperor in the Meiji Restoration.

Tokugawa

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 17, 2023, 12:38:00 AM4/17/23
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 6 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has withstood a late charge by
Stephen Perry to win it. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Arts and Literature - Sculpture and Sculptors

> In all cases, give the name of the sculptor.

> 1. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/01.jpg

> Pope Julius II commissioned this artist to build this sculpture
> for his tomb in 1505. The work depicts Moses with horns on
> his head.

Michelangelo. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Erland, and Pete.

> 2. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/02.jpg

> This American artist specialized in depictions of the
> late-19th-century American West, evoking romantic images of
> cowboys and natives.

Frederic Remington ("The Bronco Buster"). 4 for Joshua, Stephen,
and Pete.

> 3. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/03.jpg

> This Romanian-born sculptor has been called the patriarch of
> modern sculpture. This 1908 work is unsurprisingly titled
> "The Kiss".

Constantin Brancusi. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 4. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/04.jpg

> Adapting the classical grandeur of Renaissance sculpture and
> the dynamic energy of the Mannerist period, this 17th-century
> Italian genius forged a new conception for religious and
> historical sculpture. This sculpture of Apollo and Daphne is
> in Rome's Borghese Gallery, along with several other masterworks.

Gianlorenzo Bernini. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 5. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/05.jpg

> The elongated, very thin figures of this 20th-century surrealist
> artist represented his view of the human form. A friend once
> said that if he decided to sculpt you, "he would make your head
> look like the blade of a knife".

Alberto Giacometti ("Tall Figure III"). 4 for Stephen.

> 6. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/06.jpg

> This sculpture stood on the grounds of Expo 67 in Montreal.
> Its American creator is also famous for his mobiles.

Alexander Calder ("Man"; the theme of the fair was "Man and His
World" in English and "World of Men" in French). 4 for Joshua,
Stephen, and Pete.

> 7. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/07.jpg

> This American artist is famous for his life-size plaster-cast
> figures that are usually placed in tableaux from everyday life.
> He shares his name with a Hollywood actor.

George Segal ("Street Crossing"). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 8. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/08.jpg

> This monumental depiction of "The Spirit of Haida Gwaii"
> welcomes travelers at Vancouver International airport.
> The artist developed his interest in Haida art while working
> as a CBC announcer in Toronto during the 1940s.

Bill Reid. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/09.jpg

> This French artist is famous for his portrayals of ballet
> dancers. When this now much-loved work was shown in Paris in
> 1881, critics said the 14-year-old dancer's face was "marked
> by the hateful promise of every vice".

Edgar Degas ("Little Dancer of Fourteen Years"). 4 for Joshua
and Stephen.

> 10. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/10.jpg

> This British sculptor has done several series of reclining
> figures whose undulating forms may derive from the landscape
> of his birthplace in Yorkshire. The world's largest collection
> of his work is in Toronto.

Henry Moore ("Draped Reclining Woman"). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> There were 2 decoys on the original handout. Identify the sculptors
> if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 11. Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-9/sculpt/11.jpg

Antonio Canova ("Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss"). Stephen got this.
Pablo Picasso ("Head of a Woman"). Stephen got this.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - All in the Family

> We didn't have trivia last week because it was Family Day. So, to
> make up for our absence...:

> A. Science - Family Belongings
> B. Entertainment - Families Drawn Together
> C. Sports - Families that Play Together
> D. Literature - Fiction between Family Members
> E. Geography - Family Speech
> F. History - Family Rules

> * A. Family Belongings

> A1. Which family of subatomic particles has members named bottom,
> up, and strange?

Quarks. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Stephen, Erland, Pete, and Dan.

> A2. Geologists classify rocks into three large families or types:
> igneous, metamorphic, and what?

Sedimentary. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan.

> * B. Families Drawn Together

> B1. In the movie "South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut", the
> fictional American-Canadian War starts when our air force
> bombs the residence of two real-life American acting
> families, wiping them out. Give *either* family name.

Arquette, Baldwin. 4 for Stephen.

> B2. Who is the creator """and voice""" of Peter Griffin and
> Stan Smith, two of TV's most obnoxious cartoon fathers?

Seth MacFarlane. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * C. Families that Play Together

> Or play the same sport, at least.

> C1. These """are the only""" father and son in the NHL to *both*
> have their numbers retired. Give their family name.

This question was already out of date in the original game.
(Bobby and Brett) Hull, and as of 2012, also (Gordie and Mark) Howe.
4 for Stephen (the hard way), Erland, and Pete.

> C2. The "30-30 club" consists of baseball players who have
> hit 30 home runs and stolen 30 bases in the same season.
> There """are only two""" players who have each achieved
> this feat in 5 different seasons -- and, remarkably, they
> also happen to be father and son. Give their family name.

(Bobby and Barry) Bonds. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Stephen,
Pete, and Dan.

Bobby Bonds: 1969, 1970, 1973, 1975, 1977.
Barry Bonds: 1990, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997.
However, Barry's achievement was assisted by steroids.

> * D. Fiction between Family Members

> D1. In "Pride and Prejudice", the patriarch of this family starts
> the novel with 5 unmarried daughters. By the end of the
> novel, three are married, including, of course, Elizabeth,
> who ends up with the initially aloof Mr. Darcy. Give their
> family name. (No, not Darcy, the other one.)

Bennet. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> D2. They're one of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms --
> and the principal house of the Westerlands -- in the "A Song
> of Ice and Fire" series of fantasy novels, made famous on
> TV as "Game of Thrones". Give their family name.

Lannister. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> * E. Family Speech

> E1. Though surrounded by members of the Indo-European language
> family, this language is unrelated to them, and is considered
> to be the last surviving pre-Indo-European language in
> Western Europe. What language?

Basque. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Erland, and Dan.

> E2. The word "Aryan", which the Nazis appropriated to refer
> to their vision of a northern European, pure white "race",
> actually has its roots in the description traditionally
> used by the peoples of Northern India and Iran to identify
> themselves and their languages. But the word "Aryan"
> itself is a loan-word taken from which language, still in
> limited use, considered one of the earliest members of the
> entire Indo-European language family?

Sanskrit. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Erland, and Dan.

> * F. Family Rules

> F1. Members of this dynastic family, sometimes termed the "House
> of France", ruled France directly from 987 to 1328, and gave
> rise to the later royal houses of Bourbon and Orleans,
> which are considered a part of this overall dynasty.
> Name the dynasty.

Capet(ian). 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Erland.

> F2. Name the family dynasty that ruled Japan as shoguns from
> 1603 until 1867, when the last shogun resigned, with power
> soon returning to the Emperor in the Meiji Restoration.

Tokugawa. 4 for Stephen, Erland, and Dan.

Erland thought the date 1603 should have been 1601. I'm not going
to check that.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Ent Aud Can His Mis Art Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 20 15 40 28 28 32 192
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 40 48 168
Dan Blum 36 28 16 7 36 28 -- -- 151
Dan Tilque 36 8 4 20 36 12 0 24 136
Pete Gayde 14 12 36 3 16 28 16 14 124
Erland Sommarskog 24 4 16 7 28 24 4 24 123
John Gerson 24 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader | "Before I began researching... I thought that confirmation bias
Toronto | was a major problem, and everything I've read since then

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 18, 2023, 12:33:54 PM4/18/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland thought the date 1603 should have been 1601. I'm not going
> to check that.

Wikipedia says Ieyasu Tokugaawa became the strongman after a battle in 1600,
but was not appointed shogun until 1603, and there had not been a real
shogun for some decades. It does not really agree what I've read in books
on Japanese history, but I'm not at home to chcek this. In any case,
Ieyasu abdicated in 1605, not 1603 as I said.