RQFTCICR14 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Russells, spring challenge

Mark Brader

May 21, 2023, 1:10:24 AM5/21/23
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Barring further interruptions to play, this will be the last set of
RQFTCI rounds.

** Game 9, Round 9 - Entertainment - Russells in Entertainment

We give some clues and in each case you must answer with the first
*and* last name -- one of which is always some form of Russell.

1. Australian actor: "The Insider" (1999), "Robin Hood" (2010).

2. "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" (1969), "Escape From New York"
(1981), "Escape From L.A." (1996).

3. One of the wealthiest hip-hop executives, net worth over
$300,000,000. Founder of Def Jam records, Def Jam comedy, Phat
Farm clothing line. Brother of Reverend Run of Run DMC. Vegan.
Gay-rights activist. UN goodwill ambassador. Participated in
Occupy Wall Street.

4. Oscar-winning film director of "Women in Love" (1969), the Who's
"Tommy" (1975), "Altered States" (1980).

5. Married to film director Nicholas Roeg. "Bad Timing/A Sensual
Obsession" (1980); "The Razor's Edge" (1984); "Black Widow"
(1987) with Debra Winger.

6. British, once married to Katy Perry. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
(2008), "Get Him to the Greek" (2010), "Despicable Me" (2010),
"Despicable Me 2" (2013).

7. Director of low-budget sexploitation films with campy humor:
"Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" (1965). Autobiography:
"A Clean Breast".

8. Canadian comedian of Anglo-Indian heritage. Famous line:
"Somebody gonna get a-hurt real bad." First comic to sell out
the Air Canada Centre.

9. "The Outlaw" (1943); Howard Hughes designed her bra. "Gentlemen
Prefer Blondes" (1953). Founded World Adoption International
Fund after a scandal that she paid to adopt an Irish baby
(mentioned in the 2014 film "Philomena").

10. "His Girl Friday" (1940), Howard Hughes screwball comedy.
"My Sister Eileen" (1942). "Auntie Mame" (1958), film and
Broadway.

** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge: All Things Spring

In honor of the equinox, the following questions all have something
to do with spring. But remember, "spring" has more than one
meaning...!

* A. Science

A1. The scientific law that describes the physics of springs,
namely that the force required to compress or extend a
spring a given distance is proportional to that distance,
is called after its discoverer. What's his name?

A2. All mechanical watches contain a spring that stores the
energy from the watch being wound. It consists of a metal
ribbon in the form of a tight coil. What is it called?

* B. Entertainment

B1. A lavish production of the song "Springtime for Hitler"
is featured in which movie?

B2. Which writer of popular 20th century songs and show tunes
penned "I Love Paris", whose well-known chorus begins
with the line "I love Paris in the spring time"? It was
introduced in the musical "Can-Can", and covered by such
famous mid-20th Century singers as Frank Sinatra and Ella
Fitzgerald, as well as many, many others.

* C. Sports & Leisure

C1. This emerging sport sees riders performing tricks on modern,
high-tech pogo sticks, which have the potential to make
jumps that reach up to 10 feet in height. What is it called?

C2. According to the autobiography of former Cleveland Indians
owner Bill Veeck, what was the issue with spring training
in Florida that motivated his role in the formation of the
Cactus League in Arizona?

* D. Arts & Literature

D1. In which city did the 1913 debut of Igor Stravinsky's
"The Rite of Spring" cause a riot to break out in the
audience due to the the avant-garde nature of the music
and choreography?

D2. Which 1962 book by Rachel Carson about the detrimental
effects of indiscriminate pesticide use is credited with
starting the modern environmental movement?

* E. Geography

E1. Which Alberta town is known around the world for its
sulfurous hot springs?

E2. Water from which French spring, sought after for its
purported curative powers, became famous after an apparition
of the Virgin Mary allegedly appeared to Bernadette Soubirous
in 1858 and instructed her to bathe in and drink it?

* F. History

F1. In what year did Czechoslovakia's failed uprising against
Soviet domination, known as the Prague Spring, take place?

F2. The series of uprisings known as the Arab Spring were
sparked when street vendor Mohamed Bouazizi set himself
on fire to protest police corruption and ill treatment in
which country?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Don't be silly -- send it to Canada"
m...@vex.net -- British postal worker

Dan Blum

May 21, 2023, 10:15:37 AM5/21/23
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Entertainment - Russells in Entertainment

> 1. Australian actor: "The Insider" (1999), "Robin Hood" (2010).

Russell Crowe

> 2. "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" (1969), "Escape From New York"
> (1981), "Escape From L.A." (1996).

Kurt Russell

> 5. Married to film director Nicholas Roeg. "Bad Timing/A Sensual
> Obsession" (1980); "The Razor's Edge" (1984); "Black Widow"
> (1987) with Debra Winger.

Theresa Russell

> 6. British, once married to Katy Perry. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
> (2008), "Get Him to the Greek" (2010), "Despicable Me" (2010),
> "Despicable Me 2" (2013).

Russell Brand

> 7. Director of low-budget sexploitation films with campy humor:
> "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" (1965). Autobiography:
> "A Clean Breast".

Russ(ell) Meyers

> 9. "The Outlaw" (1943); Howard Hughes designed her bra. "Gentlemen
> Prefer Blondes" (1953). Founded World Adoption International
> Fund after a scandal that she paid to adopt an Irish baby
> (mentioned in the 2014 film "Philomena").

Jane Russell

> 10. "His Girl Friday" (1940), Howard Hughes screwball comedy.
> "My Sister Eileen" (1942). "Auntie Mame" (1958), film and
> Broadway.

Rosalind Russell

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge: All Things Spring

> * A. Science

> A2. All mechanical watches contain a spring that stores the
> energy from the watch being wound. It consists of a metal
> ribbon in the form of a tight coil. What is it called?

mainspring

> * B. Entertainment

> B1. A lavish production of the song "Springtime for Hitler"
> is featured in which movie?

The Producers

> B2. Which writer of popular 20th century songs and show tunes
> penned "I Love Paris", whose well-known chorus begins
> with the line "I love Paris in the spring time"? It was
> introduced in the musical "Can-Can", and covered by such
> famous mid-20th Century singers as Frank Sinatra and Ella
> Fitzgerald, as well as many, many others.

Irving Berlin

> * C. Sports & Leisure

> C2. According to the autobiography of former Cleveland Indians
> owner Bill Veeck, what was the issue with spring training
> in Florida that motivated his role in the formation of the
> Cactus League in Arizona?

it rained too much

> * D. Arts & Literature

> D1. In which city did the 1913 debut of Igor Stravinsky's
> "The Rite of Spring" cause a riot to break out in the
> audience due to the the avant-garde nature of the music
> and choreography?

Paris

> D2. Which 1962 book by Rachel Carson about the detrimental
> effects of indiscriminate pesticide use is credited with
> starting the modern environmental movement?

Silent Spring

> * E. Geography

> E1. Which Alberta town is known around the world for its
> sulfurous hot springs?

Medicine Hat

> E2. Water from which French spring, sought after for its
> purported curative powers, became famous after an apparition
> of the Virgin Mary allegedly appeared to Bernadette Soubirous
> in 1858 and instructed her to bathe in and drink it?

Lourdes

> * F. History

> F1. In what year did Czechoslovakia's failed uprising against
> Soviet domination, known as the Prague Spring, take place?

1968

> F2. The series of uprisings known as the Arab Spring were
> sparked when street vendor Mohamed Bouazizi set himself
> on fire to protest police corruption and ill treatment in
> which country?

Egypt; Tunisia

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

May 21, 2023, 1:54:38 PM5/21/23
On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 12:10:24 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Entertainment - Russells in Entertainment
>
> We give some clues and in each case you must answer with the first
> *and* last name -- one of which is always some form of Russell.
>
> 1. Australian actor: "The Insider" (1999), "Robin Hood" (2010).

Russell Crowe

> 2. "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" (1969), "Escape From New York"
> (1981), "Escape From L.A." (1996).

Kurt Russell

> 3. One of the wealthiest hip-hop executives, net worth over
> $300,000,000. Founder of Def Jam records, Def Jam comedy, Phat
> Farm clothing line. Brother of Reverend Run of Run DMC. Vegan.
> Gay-rights activist. UN goodwill ambassador. Participated in
> Occupy Wall Street.

Russell Simmons

> 4. Oscar-winning film director of "Women in Love" (1969), the Who's
> "Tommy" (1975), "Altered States" (1980).

Ken Russell

> 5. Married to film director Nicholas Roeg. "Bad Timing/A Sensual
> Obsession" (1980); "The Razor's Edge" (1984); "Black Widow"
> (1987) with Debra Winger.

Theresa Russell

> 6. British, once married to Katy Perry. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
> (2008), "Get Him to the Greek" (2010), "Despicable Me" (2010),
> "Despicable Me 2" (2013).

Russell Brand

> 7. Director of low-budget sexploitation films with campy humor:
> "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" (1965). Autobiography:
> "A Clean Breast".

Russ Meyer

> 9. "The Outlaw" (1943); Howard Hughes designed her bra. "Gentlemen
> Prefer Blondes" (1953). Founded World Adoption International
> Fund after a scandal that she paid to adopt an Irish baby
> (mentioned in the 2014 film "Philomena").

Jane Russell

> 10. "His Girl Friday" (1940), Howard Hughes screwball comedy.
> "My Sister Eileen" (1942). "Auntie Mame" (1958), film and
> Broadway.

Rosalind Russell

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge: All Things Spring
>
> In honor of the equinox, the following questions all have something
> to do with spring. But remember, "spring" has more than one
> meaning...!
>
> * B. Entertainment
>
> B1. A lavish production of the song "Springtime for Hitler"
> is featured in which movie?

"The Producers"

> B2. Which writer of popular 20th century songs and show tunes
> penned "I Love Paris", whose well-known chorus begins
> with the line "I love Paris in the spring time"? It was
> introduced in the musical "Can-Can", and covered by such
> famous mid-20th Century singers as Frank Sinatra and Ella
> Fitzgerald, as well as many, many others.

Cole Porter

> * C. Sports & Leisure
>
> C2. According to the autobiography of former Cleveland Indians
> owner Bill Veeck, what was the issue with spring training
> in Florida that motivated his role in the formation of the
> Cactus League in Arizona?

racial discrimination against black players

> * D. Arts & Literature
>
> D1. In which city did the 1913 debut of Igor Stravinsky's
> "The Rite of Spring" cause a riot to break out in the
> audience due to the the avant-garde nature of the music
> and choreography?

Paris

> D2. Which 1962 book by Rachel Carson about the detrimental
> effects of indiscriminate pesticide use is credited with
> starting the modern environmental movement?

"Silent Spring"

> * F. History
>
> F1. In what year did Czechoslovakia's failed uprising against
> Soviet domination, known as the Prague Spring, take place?

1968

> F2. The series of uprisings known as the Arab Spring were
> sparked when street vendor Mohamed Bouazizi set himself
> on fire to protest police corruption and ill treatment in
> which country?

Tunisia

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

May 21, 2023, 4:09:54 PM5/21/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge: All Things Spring
>
> * D. Arts & Literature
>
> D1. In which city did the 1913 debut of Igor Stravinsky's
> "The Rite of Spring" cause a riot to break out in the
> audience due to the the avant-garde nature of the music
> and choreography?

Paris

> D2. Which 1962 book by Rachel Carson about the detrimental
> effects of indiscriminate pesticide use is credited with
> starting the modern environmental movement?

Silent Spring

> * E. Geography
>
> E1. Which Alberta town is known around the world for its
> sulfurous hot springs?

Protest! In Sweden we don't generally know towns in Alberta, and I
can't imagine this is unique to Sweden. I mean, Alberta, seriously?
Come on? Around the world?

> E2. Water from which French spring, sought after for its
> purported curative powers, became famous after an apparition
> of the Virgin Mary allegedly appeared to Bernadette Soubirous
> in 1858 and instructed her to bathe in and drink it?

Vichy

> * F. History
>
> F1. In what year did Czechoslovakia's failed uprising against
> Soviet domination, known as the Prague Spring, take place?

1968

> F2. The series of uprisings known as the Arab Spring were
> sparked when street vendor Mohamed Bouazizi set himself
> on fire to protest police corruption and ill treatment in
> which country?

Tunisia

Dan Tilque

May 21, 2023, 8:54:39 PM5/21/23
On 5/20/23 22:07, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Entertainment - Russells in Entertainment
>
> We give some clues and in each case you must answer with the first
> *and* last name -- one of which is always some form of Russell.
>
> 1. Australian actor: "The Insider" (1999), "Robin Hood" (2010).

Russell Crowe
Rosalind Russell

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge: All Things Spring
>
> In honor of the equinox, the following questions all have something
> to do with spring. But remember, "spring" has more than one
> meaning...!
>
> * A. Science
>
> A1. The scientific law that describes the physics of springs,
> namely that the force required to compress or extend a
> spring a given distance is proportional to that distance,
> is called after its discoverer. What's his name?

Hooke

> A2. All mechanical watches contain a spring that stores the
> energy from the watch being wound. It consists of a metal
> ribbon in the form of a tight coil. What is it called?

mainspring

> * B. Entertainment
>
> B1. A lavish production of the song "Springtime for Hitler"
> is featured in which movie?

The Producers

> B2. Which writer of popular 20th century songs and show tunes
> penned "I Love Paris", whose well-known chorus begins
> with the line "I love Paris in the spring time"? It was
> introduced in the musical "Can-Can", and covered by such
> famous mid-20th Century singers as Frank Sinatra and Ella
> Fitzgerald, as well as many, many others.
>

> * C. Sports & Leisure
>
> C1. This emerging sport sees riders performing tricks on modern,
> high-tech pogo sticks, which have the potential to make
> jumps that reach up to 10 feet in height. What is it called?
>
> C2. According to the autobiography of former Cleveland Indians
> owner Bill Veeck, what was the issue with spring training
> in Florida that motivated his role in the formation of the
> Cactus League in Arizona?

too much rain

> * D. Arts & Literature
>
> D1. In which city did the 1913 debut of Igor Stravinsky's
> "The Rite of Spring" cause a riot to break out in the
> audience due to the the avant-garde nature of the music
> and choreography?

Paris

> D2. Which 1962 book by Rachel Carson about the detrimental
> effects of indiscriminate pesticide use is credited with
> starting the modern environmental movement?

Silent Spring

> * E. Geography
>
> E1. Which Alberta town is known around the world for its
> sulfurous hot springs?
>
> E2. Water from which French spring, sought after for its
> purported curative powers, became famous after an apparition
> of the Virgin Mary allegedly appeared to Bernadette Soubirous
> in 1858 and instructed her to bathe in and drink it?

Lourdes

> * F. History
>
> F1. In what year did Czechoslovakia's failed uprising against
> Soviet domination, known as the Prague Spring, take place?

1968

> F2. The series of uprisings known as the Arab Spring were
> sparked when street vendor Mohamed Bouazizi set himself
> on fire to protest police corruption and ill treatment in
> which country?

Tunisia

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

May 22, 2023, 5:15:58 PM5/22/23
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>
> Barring further interruptions to play, this will be the last set of
> RQFTCI rounds.
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Entertainment - Russells in Entertainment
>
> We give some clues and in each case you must answer with the first
> *and* last name -- one of which is always some form of Russell.
>
> 1. Australian actor: "The Insider" (1999), "Robin Hood" (2010).

Russell Crowe

> 2. "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" (1969), "Escape From New York"
> (1981), "Escape From L.A." (1996).

Kurt Russell

> 3. One of the wealthiest hip-hop executives, net worth over
> $300,000,000. Founder of Def Jam records, Def Jam comedy, Phat
> Farm clothing line. Brother of Reverend Run of Run DMC. Vegan.
> Gay-rights activist. UN goodwill ambassador. Participated in
> Occupy Wall Street.

Russell Simmons

> 4. Oscar-winning film director of "Women in Love" (1969), the Who's
> "Tommy" (1975), "Altered States" (1980).

Ken Russell

> 5. Married to film director Nicholas Roeg. "Bad Timing/A Sensual
> Obsession" (1980); "The Razor's Edge" (1984); "Black Widow"
> (1987) with Debra Winger.
>
> 6. British, once married to Katy Perry. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
> (2008), "Get Him to the Greek" (2010), "Despicable Me" (2010),
> "Despicable Me 2" (2013).

Russell Brand

> 7. Director of low-budget sexploitation films with campy humor:
> "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" (1965). Autobiography:
> "A Clean Breast".
>
> 8. Canadian comedian of Anglo-Indian heritage. Famous line:
> "Somebody gonna get a-hurt real bad." First comic to sell out
> the Air Canada Centre.
>
> 9. "The Outlaw" (1943); Howard Hughes designed her bra. "Gentlemen
> Prefer Blondes" (1953). Founded World Adoption International
> Fund after a scandal that she paid to adopt an Irish baby
> (mentioned in the 2014 film "Philomena").

Jane Russell

> 10. "His Girl Friday" (1940), Howard Hughes screwball comedy.
> "My Sister Eileen" (1942). "Auntie Mame" (1958), film and
> Broadway.

Rosalind Russell

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge: All Things Spring
>
> In honor of the equinox, the following questions all have something
> to do with spring. But remember, "spring" has more than one
> meaning...!
>
> * A. Science
>
> A1. The scientific law that describes the physics of springs,
> namely that the force required to compress or extend a
> spring a given distance is proportional to that distance,
> is called after its discoverer. What's his name?

Bernoulli

> A2. All mechanical watches contain a spring that stores the
> energy from the watch being wound. It consists of a metal
> ribbon in the form of a tight coil. What is it called?
>

> * B. Entertainment
>
> B1. A lavish production of the song "Springtime for Hitler"
> is featured in which movie?

The Producers

> B2. Which writer of popular 20th century songs and show tunes
> penned "I Love Paris", whose well-known chorus begins
> with the line "I love Paris in the spring time"? It was
> introduced in the musical "Can-Can", and covered by such
> famous mid-20th Century singers as Frank Sinatra and Ella
> Fitzgerald, as well as many, many others.

Gershwin; Porter

> * C. Sports & Leisure
>
> C1. This emerging sport sees riders performing tricks on modern,
> high-tech pogo sticks, which have the potential to make
> jumps that reach up to 10 feet in height. What is it called?
>
> C2. According to the autobiography of former Cleveland Indians
> owner Bill Veeck, what was the issue with spring training
> in Florida that motivated his role in the formation of the
> Cactus League in Arizona?

Couldn't sell alcohol inside stadiums

> * D. Arts & Literature
>
> D1. In which city did the 1913 debut of Igor Stravinsky's
> "The Rite of Spring" cause a riot to break out in the
> audience due to the the avant-garde nature of the music
> and choreography?

Paris

> D2. Which 1962 book by Rachel Carson about the detrimental
> effects of indiscriminate pesticide use is credited with
> starting the modern environmental movement?

Silent Spring

> * E. Geography
>
> E1. Which Alberta town is known around the world for its
> sulfurous hot springs?

Banff

> E2. Water from which French spring, sought after for its
> purported curative powers, became famous after an apparition
> of the Virgin Mary allegedly appeared to Bernadette Soubirous
> in 1858 and instructed her to bathe in and drink it?

Lourdes

> * F. History
>
> F1. In what year did Czechoslovakia's failed uprising against
> Soviet domination, known as the Prague Spring, take place?

1968

> F2. The series of uprisings known as the Arab Spring were
> sparked when street vendor Mohamed Bouazizi set himself
> on fire to protest police corruption and ill treatment in
> which country?

Tunisia

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

May 24, 2023, 12:41:12 AM5/24/23
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 9 is over and, if there are no errors, DAN TILQUE is the winner
by 5 points. Hearty congratulations, eh?

> Barring further interruptions to play, this will be the last set
> of RQFTCI rounds.

An updated companion posting and new QFTCIBSI23 rounds will follow
immediately.

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Entertainment - Russells in Entertainment

> We give some clues and in each case you must answer with the first
> *and* last name -- one of which is always some form of Russell.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. Australian actor: "The Insider" (1999), "Robin Hood" (2010).

Russell Crowe. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" (1969), "Escape From New York"
> (1981), "Escape From L.A." (1996).

Kurt Russell. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. One of the wealthiest hip-hop executives, net worth over
> $300,000,000. Founder of Def Jam records, Def Jam comedy, Phat
> Farm clothing line. Brother of Reverend Run of Run DMC. Vegan.
> Gay-rights activist. UN goodwill ambassador. Participated in
> Occupy Wall Street.

Russell Simmons. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 4. Oscar-winning film director of "Women in Love" (1969), the Who's
> "Tommy" (1975), "Altered States" (1980).

Ken Russell. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 5. Married to film director Nicholas Roeg. "Bad Timing/A Sensual
> Obsession" (1980); "The Razor's Edge" (1984); "Black Widow"
> (1987) with Debra Winger.

Theresa Russell. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 6. British, once married to Katy Perry. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
> (2008), "Get Him to the Greek" (2010), "Despicable Me" (2010),
> "Despicable Me 2" (2013).

Russell Brand. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 7. Director of low-budget sexploitation films with campy humor:
> "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" (1965). Autobiography:
> "A Clean Breast".

Russ Meyer. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. Canadian comedian of Anglo-Indian heritage. Famous line:
> "Somebody gonna get a-hurt real bad." First comic to sell out
> the Air Canada Centre.

Russell Peters.

> 9. "The Outlaw" (1943); Howard Hughes designed her bra. "Gentlemen
> Prefer Blondes" (1953). Founded World Adoption International
> Fund after a scandal that she paid to adopt an Irish baby
> (mentioned in the 2014 film "Philomena").

Jane Russell. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 10. "His Girl Friday" (1940), Howard Hughes screwball comedy.
> "My Sister Eileen" (1942). "Auntie Mame" (1958), film and
> Broadway.

Rosalind Russell. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge: All Things Spring

> In honor of the equinox, the following questions all have something
> to do with spring. But remember, "spring" has more than one
> meaning...!

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> * A. Science

> A1. The scientific law that describes the physics of springs,
> namely that the force required to compress or extend a
> spring a given distance is proportional to that distance,
> is called after its discoverer. What's his name?

Robert Hooke. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> A2. All mechanical watches contain a spring that stores the
> energy from the watch being wound. It consists of a metal
> ribbon in the form of a tight coil. What is it called?

Mainspring. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> * B. Entertainment

> B1. A lavish production of the song "Springtime for Hitler"
> is featured in which movie?

"The Producers". Both versions, I believe. Anyway, 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> B2. Which writer of popular 20th century songs and show tunes
> penned "I Love Paris", whose well-known chorus begins
> with the line "I love Paris in the spring time"? It was
> introduced in the musical "Can-Can", and covered by such
> famous mid-20th Century singers as Frank Sinatra and Ella
> Fitzgerald, as well as many, many others.

Cole Porter. 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> * C. Sports & Leisure

> C1. This emerging sport sees riders performing tricks on modern,
> high-tech pogo sticks, which have the potential to make
> jumps that reach up to 10 feet in height. What is it called?

Extreme pogo or XPogo.

> C2. According to the autobiography of former Cleveland Indians
> owner Bill Veeck, what was the issue with spring training
> in Florida that motivated his role in the formation of the
> Cactus League in Arizona?

Racism in Florida. 4 for Joshua.

> * D. Arts & Literature

> D1. In which city did the 1913 debut of Igor Stravinsky's
> "The Rite of Spring" cause a riot to break out in the
> audience due to the the avant-garde nature of the music
> and choreography?

Paris. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> D2. Which 1962 book by Rachel Carson about the detrimental
> effects of indiscriminate pesticide use is credited with
> starting the modern environmental movement?

"Silent Spring". 4 for everyone.

> * E. Geography

> E1. Which Alberta town is known around the world for its
> sulfurous hot springs?

Banff. 4 for Pete.

In 2014 Erland Sommarskog asked, "Is even Alberta known around
the world?" I responded: "I think some of Canada's cities are
probably better-known worldwide than most of Canada's provinces,
and this would be one of those." He still hasn't learned that. :-)

> E2. Water from which French spring, sought after for its
> purported curative powers, became famous after an apparition
> of the Virgin Mary allegedly appeared to Bernadette Soubirous
> in 1858 and instructed her to bathe in and drink it?

Lourdes. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * F. History

> F1. In what year did Czechoslovakia's failed uprising against
> Soviet domination, known as the Prague Spring, take place?

1968. 4 for everyone.

> F2. The series of uprisings known as the Arab Spring were
> sparked when street vendor Mohamed Bouazizi set himself
> on fire to protest police corruption and ill treatment in
> which country?

Tunisia. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Sci Can Spo Mis His Ent Cha SIX
Dan Tilque 0 40 40 40 27 24 8 32 203
Joshua Kreitzer 4 35 27 40 20 32 36 28 198
Dan Blum 0 32 14 28 28 28 28 26 170
Pete Gayde 0 20 -- -- 24 20 28 30 122
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 8 0 4 31 0 16 79

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If any form of pleasure is exhibited, report
m...@vex.net | to me and it will be prohibited." --DUCK SOUP

Erland Sommarskog

May 24, 2023, 3:07:30 PM5/24/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> In 2014 Erland Sommarskog asked, "Is even Alberta known around
> the world?" I responded: "I think some of Canada's cities are
> probably better-known worldwide than most of Canada's provinces,
> and this would be one of those." He still hasn't learned that. :-)

What did you say the place was called? Banksy? No, that's an artist.
Hm, I don't recall.

But I know that there is a Lumsden. No, wait, that's in Sasaktechewan?
But isn't Alberta the same thing, just easier to spell? I mean, it's
somewhere in the middle between Victoria and Halifax.